Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,901 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,451 through 7,500 (of 28,005 total)

• Monday weigh in day for me – 67.0, and down 700gms over the week, despite the party food on Saturday, and did I mention the European hazelnut torte birthday dake? Again,a very slim slice.

Lest you think that’s very amazing, the 700mg down thing. Here are my figures since I got back from the trip o/seas.
    Getting home : 68.7, +100gm while away 5 1/2 weeks around holiday food
    2nd week home : 68.3, -400gm
    3rdweek: 68.7, +400gm
    4th week: 68.6, -100gm
    5th week: 67.7, -900gm
    Today: 67.0, -700gm

The fiddling and + 400 in week 3 was me fighting the grain cravings and not winning despite cals being under TDEE and doing 2 FDs on 500 cals. The -100gm was the gluten free week, 2 FDs, but eat regardless of calories during the 7days. The -900 was my body sighing with relief at getting off grains and gluten free substitue starches, and under TDEE on NFDs and 2 FDs on 500cals. The -700 today is 4 days under TDEE, 1 party day NFD – moderate or v small portions, but would be over TDEE, a little grain food, but no cravings yesterday, so I got away with the small amount; and 2 FDs – 1 at 410cals, and 1 of the NFDs (yesterday) I did an 810 calNFD eating in an 18:6 pattern, so not eating till 3.30pm.

Cherrs,
    Merry

No that wasn’t a bad rthday dake, or drake, but a cake of course 🙂

……..i give up, excuse my bad typing and wonky memory/language thing, whichever prevails at the time!

Thanks for the advice. I have never had salmon, is it really ‘fishy’ tasting, or more like a white fish in taste?

I haven’t been out with my Dad and family for a long time and not since I have been doing 5:2, so I do want to enjoy myself a bit, while not ruining it. This juggling act of sometimes going out and trying to be healthy is something I have to work out, and learn how to factor it in to my new WOL.

As for the weekend – it was a reasonable weekend, not a great weekend, so I didn’t weigh anything and I know my portion sizes would have been out of whack. And last night, we had a chicken roll and roast veggies (roasted with olive oil spray, no oil), so way too many carbs. I hope because of all the weight put on over the weekend it is mainly carb weight and, like the last time this happened (pizza being the cuplrit then) a great deal of it will be gone by next weigh in.

So there you go Nap, whatever you do, you’re supported here! I experience the same conflicts where social eating is/restaurants are concerned. Enjoy your friends.

Oh and some extra posts have popped up in the meantime for me to read. Salmon is not fishy tasting at all. Try it, you may love it. Fish is always a good, healthy choice in my book.

Well done Merry. You’re on a roll.

Greetings from Adelaide – I hope to start this tomorrow after some research and fact finding.

Greetings from Adelaide

The diet starts tomorrow …yes, really. Just back from the gym but started the day with avo on lowcarb toast with Marmite (sorry, cant stand Vegemite) and have just enjoyed some lean chicken and salad so I’ve already exceeded my limit.

Need to learn more about this before I embark but feeling motivated after talking to a couple of friends who’ve done it successfully this morning.

Its never too late (I’m nearly 68 and still trying to lose weight) so here goes.

Welcome Poppytree and good for you for joining us and beginning your new WOL. You’ll find plenty of support on these pages. Measure everything before you start, buy Dr Mosley’s 5:2 Fast Diet book, calculate your TDEE and BMI on this website and start planning ahead what you’re going to have to eat on your fast days.

There are plenty of people on this thread in their 50s & 60s. And there’s some ongoing friendly rivalry about Marmite vs Vegemite happening here and on the Maintenance Chatbox thread (I’m with you). Have you recently moved here from the UK?

Ask us anything, there’s always someone who’s been where you are now. I won’t be here to spur you on myself as I’m heading overseas until the new year but I leave you in very capable, caring and knowledgeable hands. Good luck.

Hi all – I’m doing a liquid only day, so quickly popping on here while OH “cooks” his own salad for tea.

aye, Thin – you must be all seeing… as I did have two bits of cake yesterday – but I’m trying very hard not to have my cake and eat it!! 🙂

Hey Cinque – I might have to investigate some Op Shops as just one pair of fitting pants is fine, but two or 3 might be fun… I dug out another pair of Kathmandu pants tonight to walk in the park, and have given them one final wear with a belt, but unfortunately they too will be relegated to the “big box”.

and yes, Merry – still hoping to get to at least 74 for the end of Feb, but also would love to get there before Xmas, so I can try to keep to that number over the festivities, and then maybe go hard core after the NY and push one or two more. I’ve revised my original goal, as I wanted to just reach the tip of my healthy weight… and not really convinced I could do that, but after hearing everyone’s stories and realising this all works … I now want to get safely within “healthy” maybe 68-69kg before I stop. I loved your party description and drooled at the food descriptions…..

Hey Nap – Even after having a “pretty” restrained weekend, I jumped up 2kgs from my Fri weigh in this morning, but it’s still less than any other recent Mon weight, and most weeks I’ve got rid of the extra within a day or two. I’ve found I’m getting on better with a daily weighing, as it’s not such a shock to the system to see a much higher number, and I know 2kg is manageable… but anymore than that I’m left bouncing up and down in weight.

Is anyone else enjoying asparagus at the mo? I’ve been steaming it in the microwave and then adding it cold to my salads, but I fear it’s nearly finished for the season.

Welcome Poppytree – look forward to hearing how you get on 🙂

Hi Poppytree! Welcome here!
    If you are like me, it is worth getting organised before you start your Fast Day!
    Make soup! That’s my best trick. Soup every Fast Day!
    But I know everyone works out their own thing. ?

Good luck if you Op Shop Nik, fingers crossed the first one you try has some perfect trousers!

Oh no, I think I have only had asparagus once this season! I am going veggie shopping tomorrow, so I’ll see if they have some. I do love it!

I’m just poaching a couple of chicken breast fillets so I have chicken for my miso soup next Fast Day! That will be Wednesday I think! So maybe also for chicken salad tomorrow.

?

Hi SH,

just popping in to say a final goodbye and good luck to Thin and OH…. bon voyage :))
    am hanging out for those FD tapas recipes … hehehehe

Welcome Poppytree and hello everybody else. Love reading the posts.

Nothing to report till tomorrows weigh-in. Todays FD going well so far – made a simple light beetroot soup to save the beetroots 🙂 but it does fast yum.

If I start to get the evening munchies then it’s off to bed pronto!!

signing off

Coast

Hey Thin! Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful, wonderful trip. Enjoy everything about Spain, including the food, the sangria, and enjoy your FD’s too if you do them. You’ve got your travel scales. You’ll find them a great aid, and you know what you’re doing now so I know you’re going to do really well. No guilt remember. We’ll look forward to hearing all about your Spanish and Portugese adventures, and yes you can taunt us with food stories!

Have fun,
    Merry

Thanks so much everyone. I will miss you all. Have a wonderful Christmas, enjoy yourselves and look after each other. I’ll drop in if I can. Take care. Adios for now. xx

Have a great holiday, Thin. Can’t wait to hear all about it when you get back!

Adios Thin! Best wishes for a great trip! ✈️

Good morning all,

Welcome Poppy! You’ll find a thread on the forum on advice to newbies by simcoeluv. Great information there. Hungry – have glass of water, clean your teeth, cup of peppermint tea, are all tried and true ways of getting used to the hungry feeling. After a few fast days it’s easy and, dare I say it, some of us look forward to our FDs. You can also tell yourself “I want………. And I’ll have it tomorrow….maybe even tomorrow the minute after I wake up!” All good. Keep busy, go to bed a bit earlier.

Happy Fast Day to the Tuesday Fasters,
    Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

PS, for Poppy, Thin, off to Spain and Portugal, has reached her goal weight and has been getting used to maintenance for a while.

Hi Cinque

Glad to hear elsewhere that you’re going sugar free for a month. I began yesterday. We can cheer each other on when the going gets tough. When I make the mince pies for extended family, I will have the hardest time not sampling. ??

My experience of my recent fast days is that drinking lots of water all day, and having soup (and egg or other small bit of protein) for dinner, helps me to get through the day easily and to sleep well. Note: I have been fasting for 22 months, and I don’t advocate this approach for any beginner.

Cheers, Bay ??

Hi Poppy

Welcome aboard the fast train. May I suggest a little protein for breakfast if you have trouble with lasting through a fast day. For my first six months of losing 15 kg through 5:2 I had a poached egg or a boiled egg for breakfast every day. It meant I didn’t think about food all day. Whenever my stomach thought it was hungry, I gave it a glass of water.

Cheers, Bay ?

Hi all,

I have just heard about this from a good friend, So I have the book in hand and am planning on starting tomorrow with fasting days if possible Mon and Tues?? I have tried the weight watchers etc…. diets and to no avail. I am still squeezing into my clothes but yes they are very tight and I am sure very unattractive on, but I am not buying bigger clothes instead I am going to do something about this!
    I am in Aussie and saw these posts and have enjoyed reading through them and also feeling positive.
    Any tips would be great and also did any of you download any apps like fitness pal etc…..?
    x

Hi Yummymummy! Welcome here!
    Cheers for finding time to do this among the demands of three children! All power to you!
    I’m an Aussie too! Abd over the last four months I have had the pleasure of seeing clothes get comfortable, then loose, then off to the Op Shop. It is a lovely feeling!
    You are jumping in the deep end doing your fasts back to back, ie Monday and Tuesday. That will get them out of the way for the week, but if you get worried about how you will manage, just bounce the second one along to another day!

Hi Poppy and Yummymummy! Welcome to the most supportive place for 5:2. I have only been here for 2 months or so, but these are such an awesome bunch of gals! 🙂

You are right, Poppy – it is never too late. And as they say, 5:2 is not just a diet, but a way of life. I have been surprised by the results – not only the weight loss, but also the “other” benefits.

Yummymummy, yes I use MyFitnessPal. It helps me keep track of the food, as it has quite an extensive library of foods, and you can just scan the barcode, and up it pops with serving size and nutritional info. I also put in my weight progress on there, and I used to chart my exercise with it.

Well, I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 500g after yesterday’s FD – but I still have 1.6kg to lose the extra weight I collected over the weekend. That was the shove I needed to have the healthy option at my lunch out -poached salmon and salad. It was really nice. I did have dessert, but tried to take the least amount of calories and had a fruit flan. I felt ok about that – I didn’t go without, but tried to make a slightly healthier choice.

So, I guess Thin is off jet setting by now. Who is next leaving us for a nice holiday?

Hi Nap, it might be me. Jetting off in three weeks for the UK.

Welcome Poppy and Yummymummy. Poppy I have just turned 65, have been doing 5:2 since 1st February. Started at 87.1 and currently 72.6. Had an FD today so we will see the results tomorrow. I fast on Tuesday and Thursday. This way of life is amazing once yet get past the first few hurdles. We are all survivors on here and all have different challenges and life experiences.

Even if you don’t post regularly just keep reading the stories and you will be inspired.

Well done Naptime. Sounds like a good lunch. Cheers, Bay ?

Hi everyone ?
    Nap, what a lovely lunch you had! I am so glad you enjoyed the food, and were still able to make healthy choices.

I’m sitting in bed having a cup of tea and the cat keeps climbing into my lap so I have to hold my iPad up to the side… ??

Bay I have been sugar free for five years this month! So it is a bit ? To be doing Tessy’s challenge, however I am glad to give myself an extra strict month, I keep sneaking berries in, or try a sip of wine when friends are having a glass etc. it isn’t just that it sets off food cravings, it makes me feel quite ill in a poisoned, hungover sort of way. And I keep hoping that fasting will ‘fix’ me so I can have an occasional sweet treat. But I don’t think so.
    Any way a good strict month will set me up well.

I am planning to cook a whole roasted cauliflower today! Hopefully the cool change will have arrived by then, so I can open the house and light the oven. 33 with nasty hot winds until then. ?

Best wishes everyone for a good day!?

Welcome poppy and Yummy – this really is a great supportive place for us beginners! I’ve just finished Week 1 and have found both great info and and support. Yummy I also have 3 kids and work full time but this does fit.

My ongoing concern is setting a good role model for my children – especially my 14yo daughter – with regards to food. What do others say to their kids re: fast days?

So week 1 down, 2 FDs of around 450cal each. I found using shakes works for me, I have 1 late morning, 1 mid afternoon and then maybe something small around dinner with the kids but lots and lots of water and a few peppermints. My NFDs I was mostly sensible. I find I think I am really hungry the morning after a FD but my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach lol!! the scales went down 1.7kg and measurements 2-3 cm all over.

I find I am quite cranky though at the end of a FD – maybe I should just go to bed earlier???

Planning a FD today as cams lunches or dinners for the next 4 days!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning all,

Well done on your 1st FD merz! Congratulations :-). I understand your concerns about your 3 children especially 14yr old daughter: operating on the principle that children ‘see what I do and copy that’ more than they ‘do what I say’, the 1st thing I’d do is try to work my eating to when I was with them – breakfst and dinner at night. Even if they say nothing, children always watch. We’ve discussed this topic a little before, and I would think that there’d also be discussion on other threads. I’ll have a look. We have others here on SH who have children also.

Perhaps in duscussion with your children, especially the 14 yr old, you could mention the health aspect. Has it been suggested to you by your doctor that you lose weight.
    Yes, we are mostly motivated to lose weight because we want to look and feel better, but even more important is the health/medical benefit of losing weight. Looked up your profile – at 40 the medical side may not be impacting you yet, but at 50-55 it probably would be. Good reason to get the weight off before health problems arise.
    Back later.

Cheers,
    Merry

Hi Merz, congratulations on one week done and dusted!
    Re your 14 year old, I think the important thing is to keep to the line that you are doing this for your health, particularly your long term health.

You might feel ugly and gross, you might feel a failure as a woman, you might feel bad and that you have no will power. But these are not the messages for your 14 year old to hear, and the more you can avoid saying them to yourself the better!

You have the opportunity of modelling behaviour that shows that good health is important, that avoiding future health problems is also important. You can model that different people eat different diets, and that you are making your way to healthy eating for life. You can model that good science and research is important.

You can do everything you can to make sure this doesn’t turn into a fad diet. You can avoid calling it a diet, and call it intermittent fasting instead. You can avoid jumping on and off the scales when she is around! You can avoid falling in a heap when you don’t lose weight one week (not in front of her any way).

And ofcourse you can continually let her know how wonderful she is, how wonderful her body is: not in words perhaps, but by your everyday delight in her.

And do it quickly, before she turns 15 and you want to spiflicate her instead! 🙂 (Speaking as a mum who narrowly survived her daughter being 15… and 16…)

I had a very emotionally draining at work yesterday (FD). It was interesting that I wasn’t actually hungry at all but I was able to recognise that I WANTED to eat – to feel better! My sister was a great support and suggested I go for a walk instead. It truly made me feel much better than breaking my FD and emotionally eating would have!

Cinque and Merry – thanks for the great advice! My 14yo is actually a delight and a role model for me. She is a huge believer in being healthy and will tell me to not to stress about my weight! She luckily has her father’s genes and is naturally athletic and is into lots of sport so encourages me to get active with her. She has noticed that I started fasting and commented without me saying anything “are you doing that again? “. I like the idea of using the science about it with her as she will understand this and reason with it.

Bay and Cinque – sugar free at this time of year?! I have been interested in doing this for a while but will need to do some more research and feel like I have IF under control for a bit first. Wee done to you both!

🙂

Good morning everyone, lovely and cool here now, but it was hot until late in the night.
    Your daughter does sound lovely, Merz. She’ll be a great support I am sure.
    It sounds like it was a harder fast yesterday, I am glad the walk helped. Good trick.

Luckily there are plenty of delicious savoury foods to have at this time of year! (and for those doing the 4 weeks, it nicely finishes just before Christmas).

I didn’t make the whole roasted cauliflower yesterday. ? i managed to cut off a big floret when I started preparing it. I gave up! Today I will make a different recipe, to eat tomorrow.

Fast day today.?

Hello all, I’m from Sydney and I started 5:2 in September. I’d been plagued with poor digestion, bloating and puffiness and post-menopausal weight gain. Basically I felt awful.

After a couple of months I’m losing weight (about 3kg), my digestion is radically improved and the bloating and puffiness is gone.

I haven’t mentioned that I’m doing 5:2 to anyone, and as I live by myself I don’t need to worry about other people’s expectations or potential sabotage.

The things that I’ve found useful have been:

* tracking my eating for a couple of weeks before starting the fasting. Just knowing what I was eating was a real eye opener, it was no wonder I felt awful
    * using a diet diary app from the George Institute – it’s Australian and you can contribute local products to their database http://easydietdiary.com/
    * basically cutting out bread, white rice, pasta and potato and takeway food
    * weighing everything I eat so I can control portions
    * eating my main meal in the middle of the day and limiting food after about 4pm regardless of whether it is a fast day or not. That timing suits me and it it means that most days are a “fast” day whether or not it is a calorie limited day. Now I’m used to it I find that I’m seldom hungry and don’t “comfort eat”

Linda

Hi SH

weigh-in after 2nd FD: have plateaued!!!!
    2 really good FD but no downward movement.
    Will throw in an extra FD on Friday.

Have been pretty good on NFDs but did graze on a few mixed nuts so they are off the menu for a bit. I am still having a bit of carb on each day (as per my plan – but no rice, potato, pasta etc) because I know that is sustainable for me 🙂 and I am ok with the slower weight loss as long as the trend is still downward.

On a happier note, I have reduced by 32cm all over. I must have been really stuffing my clothes out before because they are just comfortable at the moment. I measure neck, bust, waist and hips.

Now, hi to the newbies, like lgs27 and Yummymummy, hope I didn’t miss anyone!! how is it going so far and Poppy?

Sounds like you are going well, Merz, and have good support at home 🙂

As all have said before, tell us all your issues, good and bad; ask any question you like and you are bound to get some good advice from any number of 5:2ers. Always positive and supportive – as we have all been there on this journey and WOL.

Put up a bit of a profile, if you like, so we get to know you along the way.
    We also have an FD recipe thread that we just started to put together – feel free to go there and get some tried and true recipes. Just click on my profile name and the link is on that page.

Merry, Bay, NikT, you appear to be going well. EA and CM are you guys out there?

Nap, some good results there. I’m having the problem of moving and bit of a jump too (unexplained – though it could have been the home made schnitzel – it was just a tiny piece)

Thin is probably still in transit. I wonder how Julie is?
    Intesha, your turn soon 🙂

Cinque, it is beautiful here on the Coast, particularly where I live. Everyone else is complaining about the heat while I have a beautiful breeze. My chillies are going wild at the moment and the lemons are just coming on. Hope that they don’t fall off!! The birds and lizards are enjoying the water baths hanging on the tree. They are quite funny as they go in for a dip 🙂

must get back to the books,

signing off,
    Coast

Hi SHs
    Coast – I planted chillis for the first time last year, they flowered but I think it was too late in the season. I kept one indoors over winter and it’s flowered and finished now, and outside ones are just coming up to flowering, but so far no chillis. My OH and I are real chilli freeks, and I have it sprinkled on just about everything and we’re always trying to find a “real” hot sauce…. so any advice you have re growing chillis would be appreciated as mine have so far come to nothing.

It’s not my weigh-in day BUT…. I DID IT!!!! This morning I cracked the 15kg mark and went into the mid 75s….. so am hoping I can hold it till tomorrow to be officially entered in the notebook.

I’m really enjoying running at the mo – can feel my fitness improving each time as not getting as puffed and cut 3mins off my hill loop last night to get round in 1:06. I saw them setting up for the Annual Burt Munro Motor Bike Rally – they must have a hill climb today. Very exciting, we have 100’s of bikes arrive in town for the next 4-5 days and they’re parked up all over town and the place is buzzing – will see my first street race on Sunday – it’s just round the corner from home!! …. and typically when they arrive our weather goes to pot… we’re told to expect 130-160kph winds tonight.

My challenge over the next 4 days is the in-laws arriving, so staying away from my old bad habbits of chips, cakes and ice-cream and cheesy/bready lunches will have to be resisted – wish me luck!!

Hi all,

Will day 2 and so far so good, I have downloaded the app that you suggested IGC27 and it looks good, based on their advice it suggested to consume 1700 calories to lose weight but my 5:2 BMI said 1800 so I have gone with the 1700! I am loving my Helga’s multigrain toast with vegemite, avocado, and a sprinkle of feta on top for Breakfast then I am cutting out carbs for the rest of the day?? I am going to look at the recipes as you suggested Coastcatibi, is it easy find?
    Sorry I am really new at this! I am loving any advice and enjoy having a read.
    Have a great warm day all.

Hi again SH,

Congratulations, NikT!!!!!!! way to go 🙂 are you gifting yourself something luxurious and nice? Good luck with having visitors and the challenge of food!! but every time you reach for that indulgent piece of food think of the thrill you got reaching MID 75s!!! You can do it – the mind is strong 🙂

Are your chillies getting plenty of sun? They also don’t like overwatering. Mine are in tubs on the balcony so I can move them around if need be. I admit some years they do better than others. I had to get some new plants this year, but some have come up from seed. It will be a surprise to see what I get as there are a variety. I have always loved the heat from cooked chilly but not fresh. Last year while on the Dukan, I had a whole bag of chillies I didn’t get around to pickling and as I didn’t want to waste them, I used a sprinkle on my breakfast to give it a bit of a kick. Before I knew it, I was hooked on a sprinkle of fresh chillies as well 🙂

Yummy, just go to my name (on the left) beside my last post, hover over it and select. The link to the FD recipe thread that we just started to put together is there – feel free to go there and get some tried and true recipes.

There are some really good recipe advices in the official 5:2 Book by Dr Michael Mosley as well as some dedicated 5:2 RECIPE BOOKS (I think Kare Harrison is one) but only get that ones that have collaborated with Dr Mosley. If you haven’t already, watch the doco about intermittent fasting and 5:2 by Dr Mosley.

put up a bit of a profile, if you like, so we get to know you along the way.

must get back to the books (so easily distracted:) )

Coast

Hi again SH,

Congratulations, NikT!!!!!!! way to go 🙂 are you gifting yourself something luxurious and nice? Good luck with having visitors and the challenge of food!! but every time you reach for that indulgent piece of food think of the thrill you got reaching MID 75s!!! You can do it – the mind is strong 🙂

Are your chillies getting plenty of sun? They also don’t like overwatering. Mine are in tubs on the balcony so I can move them around if need be. I admit some years they do better than others. I had to get some new plants this year, but some have come up from seed. It will be a surprise to see what I get as there are a variety. I have always loved the heat from cooked chilly but not fresh. Last year while on the Dukan, I had a whole bag of chillies I didn’t get around to pickling and as I didn’t want to waste them, I used a sprinkle on my breakfast to give it a bit of a kick. Before I knew it, I was hooked on a sprinkle of fresh chillies as well 🙂

Yummy, just go to my name (on the left) beside my last post, hover over it and select. The link to the FD recipe thread that we just started to put together is there – feel free to go there and get some tried and true recipes.

There are some really good recipe advices in the official 5:2 Book by Dr Michael Mosley as well as some dedicated 5:2 RECIPE BOOKS (I think Kare Harrison is one) but only get that ones that have collaborated with Dr Mosley. If you haven’t already, watch the doco about intermittent fasting and 5:2 by Dr Mosley.

put up a bit of a profile, if you like, so we get to know you along the way.

must get back to the books (so easily distracted:) )

Coast

Hi Linda! Lovely to have you here!
    That lovely sense of wellbeing that came with fasting is my favourite thing too!
    What a great list of useful things, I can relate to them all, even though I do it all slightly differently.

Ooo I love that sea breeze Coast! I am in the inner NE suburbs of Melbourne, so it would need to be a strong one to reach here! However now it is very cool and even a bit rainy here. Very Melbourne!
    Congrats on your 32cm reduction. Ignore your scales this week, and partay!
    Your garden sounds wonderful!

Nik, Congratulations for reaching a great goal! 15kg is an excellent amount not to be carrying around all day!
    Good luck managing in laws and healthy eating at the same time! It is all go at your place!
    I bet your chillies are just later fruiting because you are not up on the Gold Coast like Coast. The one inside might not have been able to pollinate its flowers.
    It is temperate enough here that they last for several years and get bigger and fruit more each year. I prefer medium heat chilies, so I am no good re recipes for burn your mouth out sauces!!!!! But good luck finding one!

Hi Yummy, good luck with your day! What a lovely start you have had with that delicious breakfast!
    I am half way through and have just had my miso soup with chicken in it.

Cheers all!

Good morning all, weekly check-in. Started the week at 72.3. Two FD days and this morning 72 although at the start of my FD yesterday I was 71.9!!!!!! Very slow downward trend but I’m happy with that.

Nikt congratulations on the 15kg loss, same as me, isn’t it a wonderful feeling?

Busy weekend, tomorrow is the gym Xmas party/awards lunch and Sunday having yum Cha with some friends. Will try not to eat either side of the lunches to try and counteract any damage.

Have a good day everyone.

Mornng, all and a special welcome to all the newbies :-).

Yes, Intesha, it must be you going away I was thinking of. UK – lucky you!

Congrats to NikT for hitting such a massive loss! And Coast for losing all those cms! Good on you both.

Merz, it sounds like you had a great first week, well done. I get cranky on FD towards the end of the day, as well. I don’t know why, because I feel good about having another FD done and dusted.

Well, weigh in, and I am pleased. Yes, I am 100g up from my last official weigh in – but I did put on 2.1kg over the weekend, and I have been able to watch 2kg of that come back off again.

I have been trying to learn more about the carb impact. We have always eaten a lot of potato and rice here. What do those worried about carbs use as ‘replacements’ for those?

Good morning Southern Hemispherites! It is cool enough here for a dressing gown, and to really enjoy holding my mug of tea!

Wow, Intesha, say good bye to the 72’s. they are just about history! Lovely! Enjoy your weekend! What lovely celebrations to be attending.

My Fast Day was very good, and I didn’t have a cranky afternoon patch (which manifests itself as an irritated sort of distractedness, with me). I’d love to work out what makes the difference. I think the chicken (protein) added to my miso soup, might help. Hard to be scientific about these things!

Jamie Oliver has a good overview about carbs: http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/good-carbohydrates/

Potatoes and rice can be problematic when the potatoes are peeled and the rice is white, and when they make up a large part of your diet. But I remember that a lot of healthy communities have them as their staple food. I try to have a variety: I eat white rice sometimes, but also brown rice, and I love millet and buckwheat, so yummy! (they are a bit more fiddly to cook though), polenta, whole wheat, barley!
    Potatoes I also have sometimes, but all the ways I love them involves so much butter or oil, I tend to keep them for an occasional treat.

That is what I do, but I am aware that for many people, their health and weight loss has been improved greatly by completely cutting out potatoes and rice, bread, pasta, and other grains too. They come up with things like this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/whats-best-way-cook-cauliflower-rice.
    Or just have a heap more vegetables (which, strictly, are also carbs 😉 ) on their plate to make up the space.

Ooh I am having a slow morning. Luckily I can!
    Best wishes everyone for your weekend!

Good morning all,

daily weight 66.5. I shifted my 2nd FD from Thursday to Friday this week. Thursday was a day when I volunteer speaking with small groups of high school students under a community programme. It’s a big day for me that I try to rest up for. After we finish some of us are ravenous and some can’t eat. The schools provide lunch and morning tea, and we debrief over lunch. I knew that FD and this day were not compatable with my health siuation so fasted yesterday instead. I also gave myself permission to eat what I needed to on the school day. So…. My weight this morning is the same as my weight after Monday FD. I’m happy with that. Today, it’s a wedding, so a challenge calorie wise. My strategy is to have sparkling water with lemon or lime slice. A small amount of whatever for the toast, or maybe the sp water. Food will be cocktail wedding style, so I can choose the lower cal ones as much as possible, and probably lean protein, if available. I’m tempted to carry a boiled egg in my bag for just-in-case! A very small piece of wedding cake also. My aim be lower cal tomorror, maybe 900cals, and to eat in the 16:8 pattern, so I can be at 66.5 at the beginning of FD Monday.

Replacing the carbs. Carbs are carbs, but, there are those the body processes quickly and those it processes slower. The quicker ones are the starchy carbs and grains, the others are in other vegies and some fruits. Low Glycaemic index carbs are also usually lower calories. I have larger quantities of these. E.g. Zucchini pasta, made with a little gadget I can’t remember the name of, carrot, (not corn or pumpkin), mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, choko, green beans ( not peas), cabbages, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, and the salad vegies. Fruits should be eaten whole, and lower GI, lower cal ones are, strawberries, rockmelon, apple, orange, pear, blueberries. Check the kj or cals per 100 on whatever you’re eating. There are various cauliflower recipes you can find as replacements e.g. Rice.

Must go a wedding o…
    Merry

And onions.

Hi all, have just been to the gym Xmas/awards lunch, drum roll…….guess who got the trophy for the biggest loser of 2015. Wow I was blown away. There were a couple of other ladies who have lost more than me but apparently it wasn’t done all in this year so it was a complete surprise to me. Then on top of that I won $200.
    I am ecstatic.

Wow intesha! Congratulations! You clearly deserve it! Hooray for you and 5:2!

Merry you have just written my all time favourite 5:2 post! Being, ofcourse,
    ‘and onions’. That deserves a trophy and $200 too 😉

Congratulations on your work with the school kids too! I can imagine what a huge commitment it is!
    I hope the wedding was a lovely one, and you enjoyed every sip of your lemon and sparkling mineral water.

I’ve been having a good day, but it is time for an afternoon nap.

Made a start.
    Sunday…..weighed in at 100+ despondent.
    Monday….. Went to gym, lacking motivation where a friend told me about 5:2
    Tuesday….excited, ate 1200 all 16:8 and got book from library
    Wednesday….. Read whole book ate 900 calories – (too busy reading and planning) and prepared for my first fast
    Thursday…….DID IT felt hungry several times but drank lots of water. Hungry at bedtime but survived and slept like a log.
    Friday…….. Sitting in the coffee shop about to lunch with my friends. Looking forward to treats. “UPDATE” enjoyed a healthy lunch and didn’t overeat = doing 16:8
    Saturday Hubby at the cricket all day so good time to do day 2 fast. Had steak (100grams fillet) and got stuffed capsicums and salad tonight

Weigh in on Monday morning – off to a great start but realistic enough to know it will probably slow down
    Plan to do Monday and Wednesday in future.
    Oh yes……… IVE LOST 2 KILOS!!!!

Woot Poppytree! What a lovely loss!
    So good that this seems to suit you so well.
    That is what it is like with me too. 5:2 is just so simple and excellent!
    Looking forward to fasting tomorrow!

Well, a lazy Sunday afternoon here, what about for you all?

Thanks for the links, Cinque. I had forgotten about cauliflower rice, and it was nice to see it can be frozen. So, I bought a cauli and will be blitzing it up soon to have with dinner.

How did the wedding go, Merry? Thanks for the advice about carbs. I love my spiral thingamajig that makes zoodles (zucchini noodles).

Congrats, Intesha on being the Biggest Loser! That must feel so good and have you feeling all that hard work was worth it.

Great first week, Poppy! Keep up the good work! How are the other newbies going?

I have a busy week, with some assessments for study and also have to organise and possibly start my work placement. I thrive on routine, so I am feeling a little out of my depth this week – and hopefully that won’t affect how I go with FD.

I also noticed today that our local Coles only stocks the Rice Slendier now… How annoying!

Hi all,

Wedding was good, but woken at 4am by first advice of “Life” happening again with a family crisis. No bad accidents or deaths, but a difficult situation to traverse for awhile. I’ll probably get to read some, but if I don’t I’ll catch up on reading later, and get back on here. FD for me today, so wishing all the Monday fasters a good FD today.

Cheers,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hi,

Hello from Townsville Queensland. I thought that I’d introduce myself. I’ve just signed onto the platform today. I’m looking to drop a few kilos over the coming months. I think I might have to hunt down the show the good Dr did to spark this all off again. I’m probably going to do my first 2 days of fasting later this week or on the weekend as I will be on my own. I’ll have a bit more of a nosey around the forums later though.

Morning from chilly and sunny Portugal. Porto is beautiful. Google it if you havent been here. Im not checked out on ipad mini so apologies for errors, punctuation seems a luxury. Not able to read posts without a microscope but i did see yours intesha, fantastic, great news. What boost for you.

Carbs everywhere i look. They’re out to get me but I’m doing mindful eating. And we are walking al day up steep hills. I managed a full fast yesterday, it was horrid, miso soup and herbal tea brought from home, found a cauliflower and made a modified soup without a blender using packet onion soup as i couldn’t find any stock. Just wasn’t the same. Ofms going on about Porto pastries and francesinna – an enormous local sandwich covered in sauce – all day. Anyway i struggled through and was rewarded with 59.4 on my travel scales this am so might try one of those famous custard pastries today. I feel i can relax a bit food wise now and try another fast next sunday in the algarve.

Hope all is going well for all of you, take care, eat well.

PS Merry, that gadget for making pasta from zucchini is called a vegetti. Welcome newbies, hi coast, cinque, nap, cm and all.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,451 through 7,500 (of 28,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply.