Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,903 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Anzac65 8 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,901 through 5,950 (of 28,007 total)

• My post crossed with your one Thin. Those recipes sound really nice. They certainly put my browny greeny mushy soup to shame!

Oops our posts crossed again Thin. 61.7kilos!! Well done. I am so happy for you. I cannot wait to see that number one day. EA xxxx

Thanks EA – and you will!

Thin – thanks so much for those recipes. I have all the ingredients at home for the Shrimp and Broccoli stir fry so will do that, but might add a yellow or red capsicum for a little extra colour as this is not a FD for me I can add more to it I think. I will also add some Konnyaku!! I will do a calorie check of everything I put in so I get the correct calorie count.
    You also sound as if you are doing well with your PB being 61.7, congratulations to you!!
    Merry – I think I turned Japanese years ago!!! But you made me laugh when I saw your post and it reminded me of that song. Great memories of when I was young and slim!! Thanks for the congratulations and I just love your idea of the “round the world” weekly menu. We could all exchange recipes and get some new great ideas off of each other.
    EA – that “fishy” smell is just in the Konnyaku while it has been packed in the liquid, I usually drain the liquid and put them into the dish straight away, others have said they heat them first, but I dont. You could also rinse them in a colander and that smell disappears. You have no “fishy” taste when you use them cause they take on the flavour of the sauce they are in. They really basically bulk up the meal with nil or so low calorie that it is not worth counting.
    I have a Japanese girl staying with us at the moment as I do Japanese homestay. Last night’s dinner I dished up my portion into a bowl and then left the rest to my OH and our homestay. OH had two bowls and homestay had three bowls. I weighed all the vegies and the chicken and calculated their calories, then added in the calories for the sauce mix I used and divided into 4. My calculations were that it would be 420 calories per serve. The dish itself probably served 6 people as I had what I thought was a good serve and then with my OH having 2 bowls and our homestay having 3 bowls it was gone. Anyhow my homestay really enjoyed it and my husband was ok with it too.

JJ – That is huge! Congrats on the loss. Thanks for your comments & this is the dashi stock I use. I also added about 2+ tbsp white miso paste and 2cm ginger finely sliced, chilli flakes, with 1 sachet of dashi & 3+ cups of water, oh, and some wakame. It was only for 2 of us. After the veg went in, I adjusted it with a little tamari/soy. Certainly not authentic, but yummy just the same. Prawns would also be a great addition instead of the salmon.
    https://www.orientalmart.co.uk/japanese-products/cooking-ingredients/shimaya-dashi-no-moto-bonito-flavored-seasoning–10-sachets-

MerryJapanesie – LOL! Yep, love the idea of theme weeks too and I adore freshly roasted nuts…nothing like them. I’m also a forum virgin….but I’m so glad that this is the one I chose!

Thin – 61.7 wow, just wow! Really well done, girl. I know you were in doubt when you were hanging around in the 63s, but you made it. Congrats. Oh, and thank you for posting those recipes! OH was hanging over my shoulder when I was reading them and he kept saying how good they look. Guess what I’m cooking this weekend? Have copied them to Word & must try those Spanish Fidos thingies you’re always raving about.

Hi EA, welcome back. Be assured the noodles have no smell or taste. I rinse them and put in a bowl and when almost ready to serve I cover them with kettle-hot water for 1 minute. This stops them cooling down the food to which you’re adding them. Just can’t live without my noodles, whatever variety, I just don’t care, gotta have em. Over & out for now. CM xx

NikT – I recently found the Slendier noodles in Dunedin at Fresh Choice. I’ll have a look at Countdown when I do my grocery shopping tomorrow, but at $6 for a 2 serve pack, they can stay on the shelf as far as I’m concerned – I’ve survived this long without them.

PB this morning of 66kgs – that is 14.5kgs in 26 weeks – not a big loss this week, but a loss none the less, and another colleague has asked me about the plan.

Off out to join colleagues for a curry tonight, so yesterday was FD instead of today. I have been drooling over the menu today. I still have about 1000 calories up my sleeve for today.

Thanks CM. Yes, I’m dancing today. BTW, the after-walk & pre-shower weight was +500gms so I’m not going back to double check! Photograph to prove it, no mistaking my ugly feet.

I thought that prawn & broccoli sounded an odd combo but we had it last week and it was really good. I loved the broccoli crunchy like that. Hope your OHs both enjoy it CM & JJ. Good idea to add coloured capsicum JJ. As PVE indicated the other day, I’m going to try and incorporate more FD recipes into our general family meals.

We’ve just returned from our Asian grocer. Young lad was a bit ‘wouldn’t have a clue mate’ but his mother overheard, gave him a curt reprimand and took me straight to the konnyaku slab & shirataki noodles. The brown spotty ones were there too CM but I chose the white ones for now. I bought one slab and two noodle packs and they can all be stored in the fridge for months. It says 6Kj for 300 gms! Less than half the price of Slendier for 50 gms more so I’m happy. Doesn’t solve my wastage issue once opened but at least it’s cheap and, after Mr CM’s enthusiastic approval last night, maybe my family will grow to love them too. Thanks JJ, you’re a star.

Well done Hilary….14.5kg is fabulous. Have found that my loses have slowed as I’m approaching goal….another 3 to go. How about you?? The Slendier are half the price here, but if you’ve done without that’s great. I adore all curries, indian, asian, whatever. Bet its difficult making the decision…I love cruising menus before we get there, because I’m notorious for always changing my mind!! Enjoy yourself. CM xx

Just don’t tell them Thin!! Say the noodles are from mung bean and the slab is a new product made from the same stuff……they’ll never know the difference….ignorance is bliss!
    PS Glad you left the pond-scum on the shelf!
    PPS Sorry, forgot to mention about wastage. I had left an open packet in the fridge (again!) and it got pushed to the back. Would have been 10 days. Smelled ok, tasted ok and they cooked up fine. I’m still alive and kicking! It all looked normal, so not sure that it’s a major issue, particularly for a few days. x

Not that I think anyone on here drinks this stuff…..but just in case someone close to you does, have a read of this!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/29/how-coca-cola-affects-body-infographic_n_7895304.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-health

CM xx

You are all wasting away! Fantastic!
    Thin, yesterday, while looking something up, I happened to see the photo I took on my scales the day I hit 59.5 (24/4/14). You’ll be able to do that too very soon. 🙂
    I picked the wrong time to have a quick thread read…23 1/2 hours into my Thursday fast. No cals so far and all those recipes. Be strong Purple 😉

Purple, why and how often are you doing these 24 hour fasts? Is it strictly water/tea? I can recall taking my first ‘feet on the scales’ shot at 69.9kgs last December, I was so happy to get under that 70. Thanks for the idea. I’m happy with where I am, 60kg would be even better. My scales say my BMI is now 24.5%. This website says it’s 22% even when selecting the ‘no exercise’ option. So I guess I am a healthy weight.

Noted CM, I’ll do that! They’ll never know. That coke thing is disgusting, never used it, never given it or any other soft drinks to my daughter.

A big thanks to PVE and Bay for the measurement data etc. I’ve really been wanting to see if people plateaued, but you’ve given me great hope to think that slow and steady might just be possible for once. Usually I have given up after a few months effort when I reach about 80kg, so maybe, just maybe I can get past that this time… inspirational!!!

and Thin, I think you hit the nail on the head with my NFD not being anywhere near my TDEE. Í am so incredibly lazy and if I have to count cals or points, the momentum just gets lost – so this week I have really taken care of my eating and so will hope to more keep those days in check (avoiding the whites etc!) …. and will just resort to measuring if I stall….

A successful FD today, even though I thought I was battling the start of a cold and being plain miserable made me think I should eat… but luckily being FD I had such a clear plan it was easy to just get on with it… and knowing tomorrow is my weigh-in day also helped.

Well done Merry on a fine result for the week and also Thin for reaching a PB!!

Is it wrong to have a fav bottle of Sauv put aside with 80kgs written on it to celebrate once I get there…. I sure hope not as it’s already sitting on my rack!!

all the best for a happy and healthy Friday everyone!!

and thanks Hilary re the noodles. I will check down here in Vegas as I wasn’t sure if the name would be the same as in Oz… I think I’m like you with price though and would prob sooner go without than pay that …… am getting used to just meat and vege

Snap CM – I, too, am aiming for another 3kgs off. That will have my BMI at 22.5. So far I have achieved the loss by sticking to 1/4 of my TDEE for FD calorie total and seldom going over the TDEE the rest of the week. Within that I have eated whatever I fancied – if I craved chocolate (not often) or a biscuit, I just have some. I haven’t given anything up – particularly not carbs – I love my toast/porridge etc. For me, that is what makes this WOL sustainable in the long term.

My Calcutta fish curry was yummy, along with the free poppadoms they brought me as an apology for forgetting to cook mine at the same time as everyone else’s!!!! But a fun evening with good colleagues.

Nothing wrong with planning Nik 😉

Thin, if I’m doing a fast I usually go 24 hours, then a very light dinner (350 odd cal) then no more until breakfast. I usually don’t eat that early either and it’s light. Usually fast Monday and Thursday.
    I just find it easier to have only water, black tea or coffee all day than to eat a little of anything. Today I carried an apple to the city and back (good exercise?) so that I had no excuse to buy anything. I’m not that keen on apples. Works for me. 🙂 P

Hey Nik….sounds like a great plan, as long as we’re all invited!!

Purple, thanks for explaining – so when is your last meal on the day before the FD? Is it dinner? Is 350 a quarter of your TDEE now? I just re-checked mine and it’s 361. There goes the egg.

Yeah Nik, definitely mark that bottle of wine. Nothing wrong with rewards for work well done. And if it’s your habit to give up at 80kgs, you’ll need another bottle for that magical 79kgs…. I agree with you, calorie counting is the pits, especially NFDs, where would you start some days? It gets easier though. Forget the Slendier noodles, we’ve moved on thanks to JJ! Just ask your Asian grocer for konnyaku or shirataki noodles.

P.S. CM, trust you to come up with that! (Good idea though – and Nik, I believe she’s heading your way later this year so she’s probably serious).

Thin, we tend to eat between 6-7. I ate earlier last night, but waited for Mr P so nearly 25 hours. I worked it out as about 1/4 of my TDEE for my goal weight when I was still in the 80 kgs. So I was learning to eat less from the beginning. Hope that makes sense. P

Testing to see if my link is working.

Have been trying to post for the last 24hrs. Copy and pasting hasn’t worked so now I am really frustrated and will make this short.

Weight this morning 76.6, have done my two FD’s even with all the temptations. Weigh and measure this morning at the gym so hoping to have at least lost a few more cms.

Ok that worked.

CM thank you for thinking about me. It has been a very busy time with my daughter and little ones but so so wonderful. Mr two yr old says hello Nanna every time he sees me, just melts my heart and seeing that they are staying with me can be every few minutes.

What a wonderful diverse forum this is, love reading the posts. Congratulations to all those thinner 5:2’s and all the newbies. You’ve certainly come to the right place for support and encouragement.

Will check back with gym results later for better or worse!!!!

Great Intesha! You’ve come a long way since 87kg, so pleased you’re able to maintain the WOL even with the visitors staying. Have been thinking about you.

Thanks Purple, I understand. I feel pretty pleased with myself when I realise I’ve only consumed 350 cals on a FD but really, this is all I should be having every FD so I think I’ll start trying to stretch it longer than 2pm before having anything. This would also be much easier to maintain when travelling since you can ‘eat nothing all day’ anywhere.

I think we had a lot less than 350 last night. It was like when we first fasted…wide awake talking for hours and frequent loo visits…., but back down to my low weight this morning:) And shining my halo, ready for the weekend.
    As I said, if anything at all passes my lips, I have great trouble not eating. But if I keep drinking and am occupied, I can make it until dinner. Just keep adding 1 more hour to your eating deadline 😉

Looking at my tracker, it took 1 year to reach 60kg (25kg), but another year to drop 3.5 more. The body fights you to keep fat once you get to a certain level. Just ignore it and persevere!

Have a good one, everybody. P

That’s a good idea to keep increasing the fasting window by small increments, Purple. That’s how I gave up sugar in coffee 40 years ago – my nan was diagnosed with diabetes late in life and the whole family got used to no added sugar just to support her. I went from having 2 heaped tsps in coffee (makes me feel sick to think about it now) to none in no time by just cutting back a small amount each time. Incidentally, my Dad was subsequently diagnosed with diabetes, also controlled by diet, which is one of my main motivations for maintaining a healthy weight for life.

OK… Drum roll……I am unofficially officially designating this as Cherry Blossom Season i.e. Looking at Japanese products/ recipes/menus. Cherry Blossom Season will last as long as we want it to before moving onto another destination somewhere on our Sojourn Around the World Foodwise.

The rules:
    1. Anything is acceptable. Food ingredient, sauce, method, recipe, menu, liquid, condiment, drink. Anything that works for you is great. Let us know.
    2. Let us know.
    3. Using of chopsticks is not obligatory.
    4. Wearing of Japanese clothing, head thingies is optional; as is using Japanese crockery and cooking utensils, hanging 2 beautifully designed Japanese cloths at the entrance to your kitchen, bowing, wearing wooden sandal-y things, or wedge thongs and 1 toed socks. Reading of anime, Jap cartoons and computer games etc etc are optional for our younger members.
    5. For ladies hanging a small teddy bear off your handbag is not required but you may decide to hang a tiny something off, say, your mobile phone.
    6. Picnics sitting under a beautiful tree are encouraged. Menus to be passed on please.
    7. Passing on a calorie count for a recipe or ingredient will be much appreciated.
    8. Washing up of 60,000 tiny but beautiful bowls after each meal is discouraged.
    9. Enjoy the process. Laugh.

We have had our Japanese preview these last few days, and I am now declaring Cherry Blossom Season is open!!!

Cheers,
    Merry

Do we get to throw eggs to people? 😉

Results from the gym were better than I expected. Since last weigh in 4 weeks ago have lost 1.2kg, 1cm off each arm, 1cm from bust, 2.5cm from each thigh, BMI down .43, body fat down 9.70.

Going away for a few days at a farm stay with my son, his wife, my daughter and 4 grandchildren. No counting calories or FD’s but I’m not going to stress as this is such precious time and I can always do extra FDs later.

This week saw a loss of just over ½ a kg, which brings total to 7kgs now gone out of goal of 19kg – so very happy with that.

When I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago, I had 3 target bottles of wine, I made the 80kg one, but just this last summer drank the 78 and 76 ones in disgust after watching them on the shelf all that time, and getting further and further away (didn’t want to have good wine go bad on me!!)… and if I’d only waited another 6 months I could have started on the path again – but I think this time i’ll just have one bottle at a time as a goal, and when it’s reached … get the next … and yes CM – you’re so welcome to share if you ever made it to the deep deep south!!!

An epiphany for me today!! It dawned on me why I always stop dieting and head straight back up to my 90kg marker….. I’ve never adjusted the portions of what I eat… and just seeing the posts on here about adjusting the TDEE and the FD targets made me think!!! I’ve always eaten the same size portion as my OH – I just love food!!! I hate the thought of having to do this!! But will have to condition myself now in preparation, that once I do reach smaller sizes, I cant just continue what I’m doing – else it’ll be straight back up to a 90kg lump…. oh what a sad day, but hopefully I can put this to good use.

oh yeah and I went to collect my work uniform on the way out today after it had been laundered, and was delighted to see they’d replaced my 7yr old shirt with a new one… but not quite as happy when I discovered they’d given me a size SMALLER!!! I can just get it on but soooo snug over my hips….. all I could think was thank goodness I’m en-route to being able to fit it, maybe come summer time I will…. but it was a bit overly optimistic of the laundry crew at this time. Unfortunately I’ll prob end up returning it, and then all going well have to ask for it again in 6 months.

You’ve done well Intesha and Nik.
    That uniform WILL fit very soon. Don’t take it back! You are absolutely right about portion size, but it is now, today, that you start eating smaller portions not when you get there. Your body needs to burn up the stores it already has. No point in adding to them. Start tonight.Serve out 3/4 of everything and don’t go back for seconds.
    Sermon finished. Have a great weekend. P 🙂

Cherry blossom season! Sounds fun merry 🙂 Incidentally, I happened to see a big row of what looked like cherry blossoms while i was running today – I haven’t run in about a month so I was struggling, but the sight of all the trees in bloom made it worthwhile!

I am now super curious to try these shirataki noodles. I have often seen them in the Asian supermarket, but was put off because I had heard they smelled funky. But I think I’ll definitely pick some up next time I’m in there, they sound like they might be great in a miso soup.

I have also noticed kelp noodles on the shelf at the Asian supermarket. They also had close to zero calories, and seemed to be suggested for use in salads. Has anyone had any experience with these?

NikT, I too plan to have a wine when I reach my first goal. I am aiming for 75 as that will mean 10Kg. I have not got mine ready and waiting or I might be tempted!!!
    It is great to reward yourself. I read on this forum that this “diet” is not about missing out of what you like. And dont take your uniform back too quickly!

Merry, you have made me laugh so much and I love your idea. So I will put together the recipe of “Nabe” (Japanese Hotpot) and calculate the calories for it. Cherry Blossom season is now over in Japan but we can bring it alive again right here!
    When in Japan at Chery Blossom season people love to meet where the cherry trees are and picnic and drink. We had cherry blossom wine and cherry blossom beer along with the snacks we bought to share with our friends. My husband bought sushi and I bought strawberries. Others had yakitori (chicken on bamboo skewers), pastries, Kaarage (deep fried chicken pieces) and many other “Hanami” (Cherry Blossom Picnic) Foods.
    I will put together to recipe over the next couple of days.
    I am looking forward to the other recipes that will be posted too.

Anyhow my weight did not change today so no news there from me. JJxxxx

Hi Gatsby, your post was not there when I last posted, because I took about 90 minutes to do the typing, all sorts of things happening at the same time!
    Anyhow I have not had anything to do with kelp noodles so they sound interesting. I do make a wakame (seaweed) and cucumber salad that my husband likes though.
    I will have to look into these kelp noodles and see if I can find some here. Thanks for the info…….JJ xxx

NikT – you mention adjusting your portion sizes. I have posted this link before, but I think it is quite an eye opener. http://onemorecupcakeplease.tumblr.com/post/39658046147/sizing-up-your-plate
    I bought smaller plates from Briscoes when my daughter and I started 5:2 and they have really helped. (The boys still use the bigger ones.)
    I found the noodles at Pak’n’Save here yesterday for $3.99 a pack, so I have bought some. May use them in a noodle omelet first up. They come in angel hair and fettucine thickness. Not Slendier brand though.

Thanks Hilary – I’ll check P&S soon- thanks! Heading out for a run shortly, but head a bit fuzzy, so not expecting greatness today, will just be happy if I make it to the end.
    Making a big pot of soup as I type so that I have healthy weekend lunches for the next month or so.

Hi everyone, My weight is still the same this morning but I am still happy as I went to a BBQ last night and took my own chicken to eat and kept to the better salads AND had wine!! I know…..I was waiting till that 75kg mark but it was the first wine for 2 weeks and I thought it was a treat for me.
    So this morning I decided to measure myself again and I have lost cm on my hips and waist. That is why I am happy!!
    Cauliflower soup is being made as we speak for tomorrow’s fast day.
    Roast Lamb for dinner tonight, I will weigh the meat and have only one potato! (Potato is my favourite vegie. I will eat it any way, boiled roasted fried even raw!) So it will be hard to have just the one!! We are also having cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peas. I like the frozen baby peas.
    Do you think that the roast is ok to eat? Any hint or tips?

Hi everyone, My weight is still the same this morning but I am still happy as I went to a BBQ last night and took my own chicken to eat and kept to the better salads AND had wine!! I know…..I was waiting till that 75kg mark but it was the first wine for 2 weeks and I thought it was a treat for me.
    So this morning I decided to measure myself again and I have lost cm on my hips and waist. That is why I am happy!!
    Cauliflower soup is being made as we speak for tomorrow’s fast day.
    Roast Lamb for dinner tonight, I will weigh the meat and have only one potato! (Potato is my favourite vegie. I will eat it any way, boiled roasted fried even raw!) So it will be hard to have just the one!! We are also having cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peas. I like the frozen baby peas.
    Do you think that the roast is ok to eat? Any hint or tips?

I dont know what happened there!!!
    I pressed the submit button and then started to read back at some posts when I got to the end there was my typing as if it had not been submitted so I clicked it again and now my post is on twice!! Sorry everyone. JJxxx

Hi Julie
    You are going really well!
    We had my homemade sourdough(dates and walnuts in it) as French toast with strawberries and home made yoghurt for brunch, then went for a 3 hour walk!
    Just put on lamb shanks to slow cook in passata, onion, chilli, carrots, zucchini, fennel, garlic, leek, shallots. Will cook for at least 4 hours, then served with 1/2 a potato and sweet potato mashed and some broccolini. Plenty of veg. Lots of flavour. Way to go on a winter’s Sunday night feast. Stewed pears and crème fraiche for dessert. So no lunch today and fast tomorrow. 😉
    Enjoy your roast. P

Well done on your BBQ Julie. Sounds like you’re really getting this figured out.

Re roast, same as the potato, portion size is the key. Also smaller potion size or give a miss to gravy or condiments you have with it. Possibly dry bake or very light spray of oil for the potato and choose not to eat the fat on the roast, crackling etc.

Soup is on the menu here too. Cooking a general veggie soup with chicken stock and tomorrow cooking the cauliflower soup for the 1st time.

Onwards and downwards Julie,
    Merry

The cauliflower soup is fabulous Merry. So quick and simple. So tasty.
    While we were losing weight to our goals, we had no potato at all (or rice, bread or pasta). It was just easier. Now, 18 months into maintenance, I still restrict potato enormously. 1/2 a potato, between 2, once a week max. It is SO easy to learn to replace with other non starchy foods. It is simpler to ban these no nos from the house completely until goal has been reached. 🙂 You can do it.
    (Mr P says, even if you have an Irish background (he did the accent), you need to resist!!! 😆 ) P

Konichiwa!

I have been doing a little Cherry Blossoming. Lunch at Sushi Bay sushi train – miso soup, sashimi and seaweed salad, and green tea. Had sashini with soy sauce with a tiny bit of wasabi mixed through it.
    Worked out calories as best I could- about 250 cal.

Julie, your Cherry Blossom lunch sounded good.

We landed in Osaka with a couple of days spare before our Cherry Blossom tour was to leave . We were advised at reception to go to Osaka Castle. It was a Saturday.We caught a taxi, wondering where all the people in cebtral Osaka were. Got to the castle with a cast of many thousands, passed a few wedding groups, payed a few yen, went through the gate and found ourselves in cherry blossom heaven. It was the main picnic weekend, wall to wall tarps, shoes, eskys, much frivolity and cheering and picnicing and toasts to the blossoms. The castle and grounds are divine, superb, amazing, and with the trees in blossom, superb. We had no food so bought something on a stick from a food stall by the point at something you vaguely recognise method, and went to lean on the rail overlooking the moat, near the big company picnicers. An elderly couple and grandchild were getting up from a park bench near us., having finished their lunch. They motioned, bowed, gave us the magazine pages they had been sitting on so we would keep our bums clean, bowed again, and left. We bowed, arigato-ed, bowed again, and sat on ourpages
    and ate our picnic lunch, enjoying the blossoms and the general mirth and frivolity around us. We now have about 2000 photos of cherry blossoms.

Re actual Japanese food, I’ve visited shops here and found a few ingredients. Will report in with those later i.e. When I work out what to do with them. CM I got a pond scum konyaku jelly block.

Cheers,
    Merry

Oh Purple, your menu for today sounds wonderful! After lunch I was thinking how it will be when I get to maintainence. Now I know. After lunch, I really felt like cake! Not that common an occurance for me. However tomorrow is weekly weigh in day for me, so being careful today. Did the ” I can have cake on Tuesday after FAd self talk thing, when a small florentine could pass my lips. Anyhoo.. Hence the vegie soup for this evening. It will ge 2 soups in a row, but I’ll enjoy then both.

Thanks for the encouragement Purple and Mr P too. No potatoes for me, but then, I have no Irish blood. Mr M, on the other hand, has plenty, so a little potato gets put in things, but I have mine without. Mr M also is not 100 % 5:2ing, so although he’s losing, it’s even slower than my weight loss.

Cheers,
    Merry

So much better with a mate Merry. 🙂 We see it as a competition. Even comparing our different fitness monitors. All fun, but serious fun 😆 P

Nice to see so much activity on here on a Sunday, my fast day! I’m so pleased that everyone loves the cauliflower soup as much as I do. Today’s the first day that I haven’t had it for ages mainly because there was no more left in the freezer but also because I said I would try and go longer before eating on a FD. It’s 2.45pm and I’ve only had 22 cals (A&C milk in my coffee) and I’m just about to have a Twinings orange & cinnamon herbal tea while catching up on past posts. The purists will say this isn’t true fasting but I’m slowly making improvements……

This morning, I made a huge pot of ramen soup for dinner tonight. Besides the ramen noodles, it has shiitake mushrooms, miso paste, soy sauce and mirin which all sound Japanese along with ginger, shaved carrot, Savoy cabbage & toasted sesame seeds. It’s 220 cals per serve so, if I make it until 5pm, I’ll still have 108 cals up my sleeve before bed and remain below 350 cals for the day. I’m going to shred a chicken breast into the soup for the OFMs. (Is that an accepted Aussie acronym?). They’ll also get a crusty white dinner roll.

Go girl Thin! Proud of you 😆
    OFMs ? Other family members? Sounds a good plan. Keep going!!! 5.10 over here 😉 P

Purple – your lamb shanks sound wonderful. Might give it a go when my husband returns. (yes he flew out again this morning) AND your brunch sounded devine!!

Merry – your experience in Japan sounds great too! I love Osaka Castle and have visited about three times. Did you dress up in the outfits available and take photos? Maybe it was too busy that day !! There is a lovely restaurant on the grounds, it has the souvenir shop on one side of it. We had a lovely meal there last time I visited. Might go back again in January as the grounds are so big there is always something happening.

Thin – your Ramen soup is really interesting. It sounds really filling. Another great recipe for our Cherry Blossom season.

I am having the Australian Roast tonight for our Japanese homestay. But I have to think of something for during the week so will aim for my Nabe then I can work out calories and quantities!

nice hearing from everyone today……..JJxxxx

That’s it Purple! I tried not to read your menu too closely today.

Merry, I’m not sure if maintenance is all it’s cracked up to be. I’ve spoken before about sticking with 5:2 to allow me the odd restaurant meal and naughty indulgence. I did stay at 61.7 for 3 days in a row last week which was amazing, but last night I got cocky and opened a bottle of red to have with teen’s favourite dish after her long day Saturday job, my home made risotto. I cut down my portion size a bit, didn’t have seconds but still, there’s no getting around the fact that it’s essentially a bowl of rice, is there? 62.4 this morning. Was it worth it? Not really. I think I preferred the sensation of being at a new low. I hardly ever eat rice these days and when I do, the portion is minuscule. I think some of these foodstuffs may have to be permanently banished. Anyway, great to have the FD to re-set me again today – which is why I think it’s for keeps just to stay at maintenance.

Yes Thin. And always have a wine over rice any day 😉
    Off to eat. See ya! P

Back on the wagon tomorrow after my impromptu break and I have to say I am a little nervous. Unfortunately I got back to a bit of mindless eating. I’ve also been invited to a friends for morning tea which isn’t helpful but I shall try and be strong.

Viewing 50 posts - 5,901 through 5,950 (of 28,007 total)

You must be logged in to reply.