Hello from New Zealand

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Karlanz 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

• Hi, I have just joined this site. I saw Michael’s documentary here about 7 weeks ago and started the next week, so have been going for 6 weeks now. I am doing this eating regime more for health reasons, but do have a bit of post-preggy weight I would like to lose – about 20 pounds, and so far I have lost nearly 8 pounds – very happy! This is such a sustainable way of life/eating. However I have found that the easiest way for me to get through the day is to eat nothing at all until dinner time and then make a really nice meal using my 500 calories (although I find most of the meals I make are only around 400. If I eat anything earlier, I might as well forget it, because it just increases my hunger 100-fold 🙂
    I do have one question though – I like to cook chicken breast with my meal and so far I cannot find a definitive calorie count for chicken. I have checked loads of different websites and they all say something different ranging from 119 – 171 calories for a 100g breast…. Anyone got any ideas – as I would rather not have to err on the side of caution and go on the high side 🙂

Hi,

Fellow Kiwi here.

Well done on your loss so far. Im in my 6th week and have lost 3 kilos.

Cant really help on the question you have but I weigh my food on a scale and use the MFP site for logging. Also the nutrition labels help alot on the food products and comparing on MFP.

Hi. Congratulations on weight loss so far. Like Kiwana I have also used MFP to calculate weight. It can have a couple of different measurements on meats etc so i tend to just go with an average. For market brands though its really good and has loads of listings. Also, you can save meals you have created so don’t have to re-enter everything.
    Is my 1st day back on the diet today and kicking off with a fast.
    Good luck

” the easiest way for me to get through the day is to eat nothing at all until dinner time and then make a really nice meal using my 500 calories ”

Totally agree with that. I don’t know how I could possibly cope with having 2 smaller meals now (I used to do it at the beginning but I’ve been sticking to the 1 meal approach for about 8 months now and it’s MUCH easier) – that would drive me insane.

Something I noticed early in the process was that it didn’t really matter if I stuck rigidly to the 500 calorie thing though. If you’re not entirely sure on the calories in the chicken just take an average and go with that. I routinely went over by up to 100 calories in those first couple of months (I misheard and thought it was 600 for ladies as well as the fellas) and still managed to lose well over a stone (14 lb). Since then I have been better behaved but I still tend to allow myself to go over (by the measure of a nectarine or similar) if I’m still peckish after my meal.

Oh BTW – I’m so jealous that you live in NZ. I worked and travelled there a few years ago and fell in love with the place. You’re very lucky to be from such a lovely country.

Hi
    Another kiwi here
    I started Monday on a fast day and did find I kind of obsessed about food but kept under the 500 cal. Tomorrow next fast day I will try Kiwi Girls suggestion and not eat until the evening.
    Am very hopeful this will help me reduce my weight as I have tried Weight Watchers with out much success.!!

Hi Kiwi- people, Like Wellygirl (whom i assume is from Wellington – ME TOO) My second fast day is tomorrow. I am a bit nervous about it to be honest.

The first day was good and I stayed under the 500kl but I am worried I wont be able to tomorrow.

I ran today which almost killed me and I am going for a run tomorrow morning. This is scary but exciting 🙂

Hi
    Yes from Wellington, yesterday was second fast day.
    Fasted until 2pm and it was ok had a few hot drinks etc but kind of picked and went a bit over the 500 cals.
    I worked from home yesterday and was in all evening I think its much easier if you are at a work place and maybe organise and activity away from the house so not to be tempted.
    How has anyone else gone???

Hi Wellygirl, Yesterday was my 2nd fast day too. I found it a bit hard but I was at work and just drank water. I only had 1 meal last night which was salad and prawns. I have to say I really enjoy making dinner on fasting days because I can make it interesting 🙂

I have to say i am a bit worried about weighing myself on Monday. What happens if I have not lost anything?

Nothing will happen.The world will still keep spinning.Don’t panic.

Make sure that you post on Monday what the result is.I will be on tenderhooks!

Make sure that you measure chest/bust, waist, hips, thighs, upper arms, neck.

Some of us have found that there are times when the scales seem a bit stubborn, but the body is shrinking. I think that the changing body shape is one of the most exciting things about this way of eating.

I am rather addicted to a salmon fillet sprinkled with chilli flakes and cooked in a foil parcel. Delicious.

I copied my first POST into yours as a HELLO from Paekakariki on the Kapiti Coast…as of today: 6kgs gone in 6-weeks…this is really amazing,
    7:00 pm on 22 Jul 13

Hello everyone…I’m 4-weeks into the program but with one ‘lost week’ of eating entertaining international guests + a conference….sigh… but I have fairly consistent 2.2lbs (1kg) per week weight loss. I love the fasting days albeit the first 2x-3xs hard but now my body & mind look forward to it, feel lighter, more clear headed, happier, sleep less but deeper.

For me, the BIG difference is in the exercise. The weight falls off when I hike/walk 1-hour a day. But my body is pretty sore & unreliable from a 2-year physical illness that left me unable to take more the 5-6 steps without help…so the muscles are weak and easily stop working. But when that happens I just rest and try later in the day for 20-30min. I’m determined to succeed. I’ve not weighed 145lbs in 20 years! Enough with the fat now! FAT BE GONE!

I weigh myself 1x per week.

START DATE : 16 June 2013, height 5’6″(170.6 cm), weight 196lbs(89kg)
    GOAL: 145lbs (65.7kg) plan lose 2.2lbs (1kg) per week
    END DATE: 16th December 2013!

It’s inspirational & motivating to read all your successes and challenges

I now look forward to Fast-Day …a good clean out. here is my typical FAST-Day menu
    1) 2 cups coffee w/1/2cup trim milk (1/2 trim milk=70Cal)
    2) 3-egg whites with steamed veggies and soy sauce (85+/-Cal)
    3) Bowl of tomatoes with balsamic & salt (1cup=25Cal)
    4) lots agree tea & water.(0cal)
    5) yummy veggie soup with cumin, soy sauce, chilies and garlic 1cup=60cal
    I can have a quick cup when I get peckish.. (3-cups=180Cal)
    6) Apple (1 apple=36 Cal)
    7) TV FOOD: raw veggies scooping low-fat cottage cheese w/spicy salsa
    (1cup veggies + 1/2cup cottage cheese=130cal)
    TOTAL: 526 Calories…and I’m not hungry at all

Thats an excellent loss BurritoQueen!

Welcome. Must be a lovely day up the coast today!

I have spent the day reading and thinking about TheFast Diet. I only heard about it after reading Grant Smithies article in last weeks Sunday Times. I have a couple of questions. Do you other kiwis convert tome trip measure eg kilo joules? That is what seems to be on all our food.
    I’m going to start this week on Monday.
    Feel quite optimistic but knowing me will feel hungry.
    Another question is about salt. I love salt and pile it on most of my food. I cannot find anything in the book about salt. Has anyone any info on this?
    I have not weighed myself for years so am going to have to buy scales.
    Feel worried about that as when I had scales was on them all the time.:-/

Hi KiwiGirl – The cal count for a chicken breast depends on its size. Dr Sarah Schenker, who was the nutritionist I worked with for the Fast Diet Recipe Book, says that a 110g fillet of skinless chicken comes in at 127 calories. Perhaps use this as your base count? With best wishes, and a hello to all Kiwis on the Fast Diet!

BurritoQueen – liking your Fast Day food, and agree that exercise will help enormously. Michael is a firm believer in always taking the stairs! Funny how relatively small changes can actually make quite a bit of difference.

..to be honest I don’t think there is any thing special or unique in the 5:2 diet….it’s just another system to keep us focused on our intake of food and drink and our outtake in burning calories…pretty simple stuff just burn more calories then you consume. That’s it really, yes? And for some of us (me) this is a brilliant system that I really like. I used to do long fasts when I was a young hippy-girl, but now they are too hard and my life too complex to accommodate the rigours that go along with doing them.

For me smart eating daily, with a ‘soft’ fast’ 1x, 2x or 3x per week as my busy day allows is just nice. The result of the last 6-weeks so far for me is steady weight loss, clearer head, and deeper, shorter sleeping on fast nights. Oh and as for salt..? It’s a good thing if you are getting sweaty once a day with your exercise, yes? My problem is that I have an ill body that gets so sore I can’t walk brisk enough to get a perspiration. I have to go on short ‘spurts’ 2x-3x during the day rather than a fun endorphin generating run or hike…(sigh) very frustrating! and yes today the weather is very good in Paekakariki, the sea was sparkling and the weeds in the garden are tempting the (my) hand of fate with their green vigour. I hope you are all successful. The self-pride I feel gaining a smaller, firmer body is just wonderful! And yes I have a glass of wine any night. just not on fast day.

I have just completed my 2nd fast day and have found it just fine.
    I have not really felt hungry however I have been so busy so am sure that helps.
    Well done burrito girl, I so admire your exercise especially when you have been unwell. 🙂

Hi there fellow NZers,

I am about to begin the Fast Diet on Monday – have been doing my research this weekend! Like Macca001 I was intrigued after reading Grant Smithies column in the Sunday Star Times, after doing the research I like what I read, so Monday is the day!! Am a little apprehensive, however the status quo is not great so some changes need to be made. A question for the kiwi’s do any of you drink/eat Up and Go’s or the Anchor version on Fast Days? I thought that might be a good option for me? Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Have a great week everyone.:)

Hi MummyJoy

You can eat or drink anything so long as it falls within 500 calories. Personally I would prefer to eat food rather than milk drinks. In the book they say milk can hold alot of calories and would also chew your calorie intake on fast days. eating food may make you feel more full leaving you not craving anything. But do give it a try and see how you go.

What has helped me is to drink lots of black tea and a lot of water, chewing gum and maybe one can of diet coke if I really am struggling on fast days.

hi there,
    wow, I just joined and I am the only one in 2016..? No way, how did you guys fare in the last 2 years?

Hello fellow kiwis! Another newbie as i only recently found this diet. I am on my first week and did a back to back two day fast which was quite hard going! I am however intrigued by the only eating one meal per day option as like Kiwigirl I found a very small meal seemed to increase my hunger. Will try the same way next fast day and if too difficult I will switch to one meal and see how that goes. How did I not know about this before? 😀

Hello 🙂

I also started this very recently (about a month ago). Although so far I’ve only managed two weeks at 5:2, the others have been 6:1 due to life getting in the way.

At the moment I exercise on at least one of my fast days (rock climbing) – I was worried initially that I’d be faint/generally less strong from not eating, but I find I climb better on a fast day (I have dinner afterwards).

I’m still experimenting with best options for fasting – no food until dinner worked ok, but I think a small breakfast (100 cal) makes getting through the morning much easier…

Yes I too am still experimenting with fast day regimes. My third fast day was HIDEOUS! I thought about food constantly and felt anxious and then didn’t sleep well. The next day though I just had a cup of black coffee in the morning and fared fine until lunchtime when I broke my fast. The next fast day I changed what I ate and this helped, I coped much better. I am on my feet all day at work so don’t do any other exercise but do need to start some. Well done for exercising on a fast day. As yet I don’t think I could do that. I have become a bit obsessed about calories though not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! I have not used My Fitness Pal as a few on here seem to but I have discovered My Fat Secret which has a lot of NZ brands. Anyone else use that?

I absolutely refuse to count calories on my off days! I’ve done Weight Watchers before, but I can’t stick to it as a lifestyle change, because counting everything I eat every day was such a pain. That’s why I’m keen to do this – I don’t mind counting two days a week, and since I’m eating less, I have to count less too 🙂 And long-term I can just count one day a week, which I think I can do.

I’ve not heard of My Fat Secret, I’m using Easy Diet Diary to keep track of my calories.

Fortunately I already had rock climbing as part of my weekly routine, and I love doing it. It’s one of my main goals with exercise – find something I want to do, not something I have to make myself do…

Hi ladies, it’s great to see newcomer Kiwis joining this wonderful way of life. I have been doing 5:2 for nearly three years, since the Eat, Fast, Live Longer documentary was first shown on TV here. During the first year or so I reached my goal, didn’t find this forum until I had reached maintenance, but have made some wonderful cyber friends on other threads – love it!

I started with three small meals a day, but over time graduated to having just one, in the evening. Home-made soup on Mondays, chicken salad on Thursdays with a deli chicken, with carb add-ons for the others in the family. Recently my husband (OH) joined me, but his progress is painfully slow, not really sure of the reason but he refuses to drink water, won’t give up anything on the non-fast days. But the gradual trend is in the right direction…

You know about drinking plenty on fast days, and ensuring the salt intake is sufficient? Any questions, ask away. The support on the forum is wonderful.

3 years? That’s fabulous! So it does get easier then right? 😉 I am still in the early stages so bit up and down with how I feel about it at present. I waited two weeks to weigh myself and was gratified to find that I had lost weight (from 64 to 61.7) which made me feel great but then I measured myself and my measurements were exactly the same! Yes I drink plenty (every day not just fast days) water, herbal teas etc. My last fast day went fine but I do feel as though I am thinking about food constantly. I’ll stick at it though. Thanks for the welcome 🙂

It does get easier, in that you can ignore the pangs. I am very much a person of habit, so knowing that I don’t eat until the evening on those days is just routine. I have a miso soup (buy the little sachets from New World) for lunch, just to keep the salt up, and for warmth on these winter days. Being at work helps to keep me distracted from food. And I am sooooo good if there’s a morning tea – can leave it without any problems.

DM, I weigh myself daily, have done since the beginning, and record the result on a spreadsheet. Unfortunately I never took measurements, but as I have had to recycle almost all of my old clothes I know that there has been movement there. I have gone from size 12 to 10 in skirts and trousers, but then I never had a great deal to lose. I had a image of myself sinking into a plump old age, but having found 5:2 I know I will always be able to maintain a slim shape, and energy, and happiness!! 65, and I run up the stairs! 🙂 I still have salivation problems at the end of a FD, but it’s a small price to pay, and I know it’s all psychological.

Karlanz, I don’t count calories on NFDs either, enjoy my red wine, Whittakers 72% chocolate, and nuts, but find I am more careful on what I eat, and usually in the weekends don’t have breakfast until late in the morning.

If you ladies enter some details into your profiles I will be able to see what part of the Shaky Iles you hail from. I’m in windy Wellington – living up to it’s name this weekend. 🙂

Wow, really glad to hear it is sustainable long-term 🙂 I need something like that, otherwise I just lose weight, then put it back on, then lose it again etc.

I’m in Christchurch, which fortunately has stopped being so shaky!

I’m struggling at the moment with eating well on NFDs. I was being pretty good before I started 5:2, but have got into some bad habits again in the last month. So that’s my goal for this week, 2 days fasting and no binging on chocolate or chips!

I allow myself a little Whitakers, as I mentioned, but evening snacking has been (still is!) the last habit to conquer.

Just looking at the earlier posts, I cannot agree with BurritoQueen about 5:2 being just another method of watching what we eat. Fasting is proving to be able to repair our bodies in many ways – the jury is still out on how beneficial it will prove to be. If you are interested, Jason Fung posts a very interesting blog, full of scientific background, on http://www.intensivedietarymanagement.com.

A little chocolate is fine – a whole king size block in one night isn’t! Which I’m afraid is what I’m guilty of…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply.