Hello from London

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I’ve been lurking on these boards for about a year and the posts have been very useful to find out what IF is all about and how it works in practice. So this week I’ve decided to take the IF plunge, after a few months of experimenting with 16:8 and getting my head round the idea of fasting.

I loathe the idea of dieting, so IF appeals as a lifestyle change. I’m in my mid-40s, 5′ 10″ and 13 stone. In an ideal world I’d be 10 stone; I’ll settle for 10 and a half. Losing weight has been progressively more difficult since giving birth over a decade ago. Now I’m at the age where the spare tyre is taking on new, stubborn proportions. So I’m going to nip it in the bud before I start ordering size 20 tent dresses on eBay.

Looking forward to positive changes – and the return of my much-missed waistline.

Best of luck. I’ve found over the last 5.5 years that keeping it as simple as possible has worked well for me. I still just follow the original guidance from the book and ignore the rest. Remember you are only ever 24 hours, at the most, from being able to eat what you want and you can drink as much water or black coffee or tea as you like. My excess weight of 17kg/37.5lbs took about 15 years to gradually accumulate and I got rid of it in 6 months at about 0.7kg/1.5lbs per week on average. That included 2 weeks when I was on holiday and didn’t fast at all. Slow and steady with faith that it will work was my approach – along with setting a few interim targets to help keep up the motivation.

Welcome to the Fasting Lifestyle, crumpet. As Mr Data has attested, it works. My husband also loathed ‘dieting’ but after viewing the TV presentation, he thought he could handle fasting. And so we have been at it for almost 5.5 years, lost the weight, and maintained the weight loss.

some tips: >plan what you are going to eat and shop in advance
    >hide any foods that are low in nutritional value
    >eat lots of wholesome food: vegetables, fruit
    >protein-rich meals [eggs for breakfast, lean meat or Omega-3 fish for dinner] keep you feeling full
    >keep busy on Fast Days
    >keep thinking about your goal

If you need recipes for Fast meals, let me know.
    Good luck

Thank you both. First day is tomorrow. Meal planned: tuna steak with lashings of greens. On my 16:8 adventures so far, I’ve learned to sit with my hunger: it’s just a tummy rumble. Nothing more. I’m in the right mindset now and excited to see what IF will bring.

The right mindset will take you far, Crumpet.
    Fasting today: Zucchini-Egg Bake with strawberries for breakfast. Hot dog/deviled egg/grilled tomatoes/3-bean salad for dinner.

Ooh, I love hot dogs. Might have to save that for a weekend treat!

My first day has been fine so far. Lots of fluids, a soup in late afternoon and I’m not far away from my tuna steak dinner.

I had planned a FD for Thursday but remembered I’m going to an academic conference and lunch will be provided. So the next FD is on Sunday. All FDs are in the diary!

I restarted this diet yesterday after eating too much over the summer. I did it 2 years ago and it does work. The fasting went fine but I could not sleep! Another fast day tomorrow! Crumpet I am moving to London next month and will hopefully lose a few pounds before then! Fasting-me what’s your recipe for the egg bake? Sounds yummy!

Ali, here’s the Zucchini Bake:

Zucchini Bake: 255 calories 3.8 g fat 4.8 g fiber 15 g protein 43.7 g carbs 245.5 mg Calcium PB GF Fine breakfast for a summer day.
    1/2 cup zucchini, grated, steamed, patted dry 1 Tbsp fatfree cottage cheese, drained one 2-oz egg + one egg white 1.5 tsp Parmesan cheese, grated pinch garlic powder + pinch herbes de Province + pinch cayenne pepper ½ cup sliced strawberries -OR- 3 oz fresh strawberries 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural apple cider nearly-black coffee or tea; or lemon in hot water.
    Grate the zucchini on a box grater and steam it over water or ‘saute’ it in a pan with enough water to prevent sticking. Drain it in a strainer, then transfer to paper towels to dry off excess liquid. HINT: steam it the night before and let it drain in a strainer over night. Combine with the cheeses and garlic, and stir in the egg yolk. Beat the egg white and fold into the cheeze/zucchini mixture. Spritz a ramekin with non-stick spray and pour in the egg mixture. Bake at 350F. For 12-15 minutes – it should puff and be
    starting to brown. Prep your beverages, add the fruit, and there you are: enjoying summer’s bounty.

Here’s another that is easy:
    Spinach Fritatta: 276 calories 7.2 g fat 3.8 g fiber 16.4 g protein 35.6 g carbs [31.5 g Complex] 289 mg Calcium PB GF Whether it is breakfast or dinner, Spinach Fritatta checks off all the boxes.
    1 two-oz egg 1/6 cup [3 Tbsp] cooked spinach, squeezed and chopped 1 Tbsp cottage cheese 1/8 oz [2 Tbsp] chopped scallions, white or green parts ¼ oz Manchego OR Cheddar cheese, grated dash of grated nutmeg dash of granulated garlic 2 oz strawberries blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Cook the spinach, drain it, and squeeze it in your hands to remove excess water. [TIP: save the drained water for cooking vegetables or pasta] Chop the spinach and mix with scallions, both cheeses, nutmeg, and garlic. Lightly spray a baking dish with oil or non-stick spray. Pour the vegetable-cheese mixture into the dish and arrange so it is evenly distributed. Whisk the egg and pour over the mixture. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Plate with the berries and pour the beverages.

I found in my 5 years of Fasting that I enjoy menu development. So I started blogging about Fasting menus and those are 2 of mine. Hope you enjoy them.

Ali, are you doing too much caffein on Fast Days? I never have trouble sleeping, but I know that others do. There is no doubt a thread about that on this forum.

Crumpet, something I do if I can’t Fast on a Fast Day [ex: your conference], is to have a Fast Breakfast and then go on Fasting until the meal is provided at the conference. Helps to offset the damage. Plus, if you avoid the carbs at the meal and go for the veg and meat, you should be fine.

Good idea @fasting_me. Over the next few weeks, I’m sure I will find a way of doing fast days that fit with my schedule. Actually, I have a very irregular schedule, but the beauty of this approach is that it’s very flexible.

Did my second FD yesterday and again I was surprised at how relatively easy it was. Bovril (beef extract drink) was my saviour mid-afternoon. I like this feeling of an empty stomach, much better than regretting the feeling of overeating. It’s 8am here now. I’m going to carry on the fast until I’m truly hungry again, probably late morning or lunchtime.

Excellent attitude, crumpet.

Today’s Fast: Roman Breakfast [apple, cucumber, chicken, date, + whole-grain thingy] in the am. Vegetable quiche scheduled for dinner.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.