Hello from Australia

This topic contains 81 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 83 total)

• Hi everyone,

I have just completed my first couple of fast days last Monday and Wednesday and I did them to the book. I must say that Wednesday was harder than Monday but definitely not as hard as I first thought. I’m committed to make it a lifestyle change and loose my excess weight along the way. I’m 42 with a BMI of 33 so need to loose about 25 kg.

Can I really just regard the two fast days in the week to the book and then not really worry about calories during the remainder 5 days? can I really have that packet of crisps every one and again?

Looking forward to the results.

Cheers,

Eightyone

Hi Eightyone!

I am in Australia too with similar stats to you – 40 years old, starting BMI was 33. I’ve been doing 5:2 for 11 weeks now and have lost 10kg, my BMI is down to 29.5 and I have dropped a dress size. I want to lose another 10kg min, 15 preferably.

I don’t worry about cals on my feed days at all – if I want a chocolate, coke, hamburger etc then I will have it – but it is rare that i actually want that stuff anyway and even rarer that i overeat. I have made the decision to not eat any “diet” products – no skim milk, diet soft drinks etc. if I want it, I make sure I want it enough to have the “full” version, if that makes sense. I find I feel more satisfied that way and less likely to overeat.

This is the first time in 20 years that i feel I actually have a somewhat normal relationship with food. I’ve stopped obsessing about calories (I can tell you the cals of most foods) and actually just enjoy food without guilt. After a lifetime of yo yo dieting this is the first diet I have done that I feel is sustainable in the long term and that I will actually reach my goal – I’m half way there already!

Good luck with it all and keep us posted on your results!

MsO

Hello, although my name suggests I’m from NZ, I’ve been living in Australia for 9 years now. Hard to shake those roots! I have similar stats to you both, I’m 42, my BMI is a whopping 38 at present. I started 5:2 three weeks ago now and have dropped 2 kgs so far. I’ve taken my measurements and had bloods done too. I’m on cholesterol medication and one for blood sugars, although not type 2 diabetes yet, I’m pretty close. My mother and grandmother both have/had alzhiemer’s, so for me all my risk factors for developing that are huge. I have a lot to gain and nothing to lose from 5:2, and so far I’m thrilled with what’s happening.
    I’ve found my fast days to be achievable, at present I split my day into two 250 calorie meals, eating the first as late in the day as I can and leaving the last till dinner time. I’ve been able to exercise whilst fasting, and have even found that I have more energy during my workouts! So much for always thinking pre post work out food was critical! So much for thinking that skipping breakfast would do me a world of harm! From what I’ve read, seen and heard from the Horizon program, on these posts and fro the book I really think this is something that is life changing. Like MsOiseaux I can see my attitudes and relationship with food changing, for the better. I haven’t been too worried about what I eat on non-fasting days, in fact, this was what drew me to this in the first place. That I could have some of what I liked and know I wasn’t ‘bad’ or breaking my diet. I find I don’t crave chocolate, chips, or other high fat foods as much, but if I do I have some, and don’t feel like having as much as I used to.
    I have ALWAYS said, losing weight is possible, but come see me in a year or two to see if I’ve kept it off. I never have in the past, but I have a feeling things could be very different this time. I’ll keep you posted. Best of the best to everyone out there.

Thank you for your comments, it is most encouraging.

Cheers,

Eightyone

Hi Eightyone, Im from Sydney Australia and have just started this diet today. Im 54 and am doing it from the health point of view. My total cholesterol was 7.2 (yet to do a fasting one lol) and am refusing to take statins until I give this a go and see the results.

I was very intrigued by Michaels documentary and prepared to give this a go. Hope this has long term benefits and not just short term.

Random

Hi RandomCat, I’m on statins too and am hoping to get off them permanently whilst still maintaining lower cholesterol, so I am VERY interested in the results you get. Best wishes, and please anyone else who has information on their cholesterol and blood sugars (i’m also taking metformin), on 5:2 that have stopped taking medicaton I would be very interested to hear what has happened for you.

Hi to all Australians doing the 5:2!
    I live in the “South Island”, all right Tassie!
    Keep going it gets better! I look forward to my 500 cal days (Mon & Thurs) for the after effects! Addicted in a nice way! I did my first fast day on ANZAC day 25th of April, the next day I had parked my car for work on The Domain in Hobart which is a medium hill. Walking back after work I felt the lack of “galloping death” gasp and burning breastbone! I used to get, all the time walking up hills! Also I had a slight but pleasant lift in my mood. I haven’t obsessed with measuring but I am down to 81.4 kg once a upon a time I was 94kg.
    Thing is my jeans are falling off me these days. So I can see some sewing and new wardrobe coming along!
    My flexibility of my youth has returned.
    My Doctor is helping me step off my anti hypertensives (High blood pressure) tablets and my BP is around 120/70 these days. She has asked me to get my blood results in August as my cholesterol has been creeping up, prior to the diet. One other of her patients is doing it too.( Back eating butter no margarine. )
    My mood is lighter these days and I feel I will be less prone to the winter blahs, I have had episodes of depression in the past.I am having the best sleep in years! Did night shift for 8 years Not Recommended! And I feel things have stopped speeding along and the hours in the day have more value! Things that were becoming ho hum have regained their interest!
    So if you think you are ageing before your time do your self a favour and get into 5:2!
    Because I think it’s everyone’s responsibility to keep away from our over burdened health system! I’m wondering if enough people do this it will be a great social and economic benefit!
    Kale is yum!
    Knighthood for Michael I would say!

Hi,

I started 5:2 three weeks ago (about to start my fourth week tomorrow) and so far so good. I split my calories into two meals – breakfast and dinner and find that if I go out for a walk at lunchtime, the exercise decreases my appetite and carries me through to dinner.

I weighed myself when I started three weeks ago so I’ll weigh and measure again next weekend and see what the difference is. I’ve had a couple of work colleagues ask if I’ve lost weight so hopefully the scales show that I have!

!’m 41 with a BMI of 38 and I have Hashimotos Disease (autoimmune thyroid disease) so losing weight has been next to impossible. I will stick with this so hopefully I see some good results!

Kiwigal – I’m a Kiwi too! Been here 8 years!

Hi all again

Great to hear your stories 🙂 nattyneika – I’m originally from Tassie too – my family is still in there. My Mumis doing 5:2 as well and going great guns.

Last few weeks have been particularly busy with travel for work but I’ve got my fast days in – ppl are starting to comment on my weight loss, from ” gee, you’re looking well” to “wow you’ve lost weight!” – always nice for a boost!

How is everyone else going?

MsO

Yeh, Gooday…
    There is a nasty throat bug going around Hobart and I’ve got it.
    Last fast day was Mon. I haven’t felt like eating due to not wanting to feel like swallowing razorblades. Finally sorted my pain relief and able to eat a bit, but don’t feel like it. 1 plate porridge Wednesday. 2 poached eggs and Gwyneth Paltrow Caramelised Brussel Sprouts and some pumpkin seeds today.
    This should be interesting re Fasting diet.
    On the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s TV science show “Catalyst” (8 August) they had a segment featuring sugar and it’s problems with Professor Robert Lustig from the USA. It’s interesting because when I was younger I ate masses of sugary food but as I have grown older (?!) I have gone to more savoury flavours, has any one else had this happen?
    Freezing here….

Hello Australians, glad to see your enjoying 5:2, and your hopefully enjoying it better than the cricket! 😉

Update!
    I have been battling a viral throat infection. A friend of mine just gave me the proverbial chicken soup and feeling the better for it!. Still don’t feel the need for an eating binge. I will be interested in my next weigh-in. Seeing Michael Mosley on”the Story of Science” on SBS here, looking trim mate! I like your “Before & After” pix on this website, could this be placed directly underneath Mimi & Michael in the Inspiration tab scroll down?
    I love the fact the Brits are having a purple patch with their sporting success, it’s bad for us Aussies to have push overs!

Hooray! More Aussies!

Hi, I live in Adelaide. I am 42 – tried every diet under the sun and have a BMI of 41.4. My first day was today. Read the book Saturday. I am going to eat my calories in the evening with the family but I have decided to take the easy option and am getting Lite N Easy meals delivered for my meals as they are already calorie counted. Just heat and eat. No thinking required. After all the diets and weighing and measuring I have done over the years – I decided to have someone else do it for me – at least for the first few weeks.
    My aim is to lose 38kg. Seems like this one might be something I can do long term.

Good luck chooky! Make sure you come back and let us know how you are going.

The forums are a great source of advice and support.

Well I survived the fast days just fine. I always thought I wasn’t a bit eater but I downloaded a calorie counter onto my phone and have been typing in everything I eat – while the amount of food I eat is not huge turns out the calorie amount of the food I eat is huge!!! What an eye opener. One cup of coffee (flat white – cannot stomach a black coffee) is 86 calories alone.
    Had my Lite N Easy meal for dinner on my second fast day. Still cant get my head around how this is meant to work. Seems way too easy. Anyway I decided not to weigh more than once a month because I am a disappointment binge eater.

Good to see some ozzie’s enjoying this!
    I’m 53 and not overweight, but just seem to keep putting on a kilo a year despite being pretty active and eating healthy. Well 2 weeks on 5.2 and I’ve lost 3.5 kilos and am, to be honest, stunned. Not eating 2 days a week is a treat, and such immediate results is well beyond my expectations. I think that it dials into our history in that for millennia, our bodies have not been used to 3 meals a day. It’s not just the hunter gatherer times, but forever, we have had to survive seasonal changes in food availability. It’s really only the last 100 years max that food continuity has been a reality for the masses.

I’m 60 live in NSW and have been 5:2ing for 24 weeks and have lost 24 lbs. When I began I had been on statins for high cholesterol for many years. After 3 months I had a blood test and my cholesterol had dropped from 5.9 to 4 so my doctor said to try without statins which pleased me no end.
    My husband has been on 5:2 with me until now but as his BMI has reached normal he’s changing to 6:1. I’ve still a way to go but I,m so pleased with this new way of life and the way it makes me feel.
    Has anyone taken a holiday and how did you manage

Day 9 for me today. Wasn’t going to weigh myself weekly as I am a disappointment eater. Haha.
    Anyway couldn’t resist the scales today and I have lost 2.8kg in 9 days. AND I still ate twisties and chocolate on the weekend with the kids. That is unheard of – to lose weight even if you eat badly. I have found the amount I eat on the 5 days has gone down too. Just not really hungry anyway. Am liking this very much so far.

Hi, I’m from Perth and want to know if I am the only person who hasn’t has a reduction to their cholesterol levels while sticking to the diet for around 4 months? I’m wondering if I should be something else – I’m not taking statins despite urgng from my GP

Hi Jano
    If your Doc is telling you to start statins you should start as raised cholesterol does a lot of damage to your arteries by plaque formation. And statins stabilizes the unstable plaque besides lowering cholesterol. You can reduce your statin dose or stop it once your cholesterol level comes down. I am also on statins at the momemt

Hi all… just wondering,can the fast days be consecutive? ?

Hi Hobartgirl,
    In short, yes they can. It depends on what suits your lifestyle and your body. i;ve done it once, and it was easier than I expected, but I prefer Mon/Thurs.
    Try it out for a few weeks one way, then the other and see what suits you best.
    Also, if you haven’t already, check out the Southern Hemispherites thread. It’s very busy and there are plenty of Aussies/Kiwis to get to know.

Hi All

Qld Aussie here… starting tomorrow after watching Sunday Night on Ch7 tonight about the program (prefer not to say diet).

Funnily enough, I saw my doctor last week and she advised me to go on this diet but I thought… ‘fasting for 2 days???’ She told me that she has seen a lot of success with the diet.

I trust my doctor but it just didn’t sound right – Like many people, I thought fasting is a no-no! Now that I have watched the program and had a good look through this website and your posts… thank you one and all.. I am ready to do this!

My bmi is a nasty 35.5 and I have close to 30 kgs to lose. My doc says I am borderline everything and to lose it or lose it! So, this is it!

Look forward to sharing the journey with you all.
    Dooby

PS… 3 mins of intense exercise per week?? – well there are no excuses now then are there!

Hi everyone – just saw the channel 7 report on 5:2 and starting tomorrow. My weight soared beginning about 13 years ago when my GP insisted I needed short term antidepressants after a family tragedy … eight years later I was finally free of them.

BMI is 39.1 but I’m excited to get started and become fitter and healthier again. I’ve lost about 4kg doing LCHF but this feels more sustainable.

Looking forward to reading about everyone’s progress. 🙂

Hi Everyone – I have just signed up to do the 5 – 2 fasting diet too as I just saw it on Sunday Night on Ch 7. I need to lose 25 kg. I live in Tasmania.

I have lost about 10 kg about 4 years ago and kept that off but I haven’t been able to lose any since then. This is a new concept to me and I am willing to start tomorrow.

Looking at some of the post it has worked for others. My BMI is 35.5 as well.

Judes

Hi all, also just watched Sunday Night. Have seen some of Mosley’s bbc docos before, but this time I had just been to the doctor a couple of days ago and found that my blood pressure was high which got me a bit spooked. So… am going to have a go at this fast diet starting tomorrow. Hope my hubby gets on board as well because he’s got that metabolic syndrome — looks skinny, but high cholesterol and too much fat around his internal organs. I’m in Adelaide, just turned 50 and have noticed my knees are starting to hurt. So, here goes…
    Jazzalee

Hi everyone, Just saw the Sunday night program and Im going to start tomorrow. Im from Adelaide, just turned 50 and my bmi is 33 and I need to lose 30kgs. I have always had a weight problem and I love to eat. I can be full as a goog and will still eat. uggh I hope tomorrow wont be too hard starting with 500 calories.

Ghost8964

Ghost8964, I hear ya! I eat when I’m bored, when I’m sad, when I’m hungry, when I’m full, when I’m frustrated, when I’m happy. Food is definitely my drug of choice, but I think knowing I can eat normally on the non-fast days may be the key difference for me on sticking with this. I’m gonna give it my best shot. Best of luck tomorrow.
    Jazzalee

Hi there. I too seen this on the Sunday night program. Im very interested in trying this. Has anybody seen their Doc before they started and had a negative reaction? As in did they say it was a bad idea. I remember asking my Doc years ago how could i lose weight and keep it off? He turned around and said starve yourself for 3 days once a month. There was me thinking he was being a smart arse. Lol. I think he was onto something. Also to the ones that are currently on the 5:2 diet, what do you eat on your fasting days? Id love to get the books but financially not able too at the moment so a few ideas would be awesome just to get me started.
    Thanks guys xx

Hey I’m from Perth and also saw the 5:2 diet on Sunday Night, is anyone planning on not eating anything on the fast days? If I eat 500 calories of food I think that will make me more hungry and not be able to stop on that day lol so I was thinking of not eating at all on Mondays and Thursdays then once I get use to the diet in a few months add the 500 calories on those days. What do others think of this? Thanks 🙂

Hi everyone, I’m from Brisbane and after seeing the story of 5:2 diet on Sunday night I’m really excited about starting tomorrow. I am 39 and very embarrassed and ashamed to say that my BMI is 45.4. I’m a mother of 3 beautiful kids all of them Autistic and a hubby living with cancer. So I have a responsibility to take care of myself so I can look after them. Fingers crossed, I’m looking forward to getting started.

Good luck to everyone. I’m doing my first fast day tomorrow and I’m excited by the thought

Don’t forget to put your weight, measurements etc in the tracker up the top right when you’re signed in so you can track your progress. I just did all mine then 🙂

Hi all and welcome:

Here are some tips for those just starting: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Some quick answers – the diet days can be consecutive, you can eat any foods you want both on diet and non diet days, just make sure you eat 500/600 cal or les on your diet days, and you do not have to eat any food on your diet days if you do not want to. The above link addresses these and many more questions and is designed to get answers to questions not addressed in the posts.

Good Luck!

Yeyyyyyy Aussies my first day and 3hrs into the fast.. Good luck everyone…

Hi all, another QLD newbie and on my 3rd day of 5:2 and 2nd day of fasting which I found a bit more difficult than the first. I wasn’t hungry when I first woke so just had a black coffee and then lunch about 1pm. It is now 6pm and still not that hungry, although feel guilty as I did have a coffee and couldn’t go without milk. Hubby also came bouncing through the door after work with one of the local butcher’s magnificent meat pies, even though I explained today was a low calorie day, he seemed so disappointed when I said lets have it tomorrow night. I have a lot of weight to loose, approximately 35kg, so have a while to go, and have decided to remove those things from my diet that I have gotten used to from yo yo dieting the low carb high fat/protein way. I didn’t actually realise how many calories high fat food contains. We have a couple of older skinny teens (not my genes) who love the snack food but hopefully me being a good role model will change all that. It was interesting to see on that Sunday night (or was it Sunrise can’t remember) that even slim people can have health problems on this inside from poor diet. Well enough of the ramble, I would just like to finish by saying how pleased I am to have this communication with others in exactly the same boat as me and am excited about having a healthier body.

Hi everyone, I’m from Tassie North end and its my first day here and officially I start tomorrow as it’s almost 8:30pm and after watching 5.2 diet on Foxtel tonight,I just had to come and join.
    Just over a year ago I was 94kl (207lbs) and got down to 78kl (171 lbs) and I’ve crept up to I’m 84kl (185lbs)from depression & stress.
    I am looking forward to giving this a go and look forward to chatting with you for some great ideas and support.

Oh wow so nice to see this forum and seeing so many newbie aussies! Hi everyone. I too am a newbie and came across this news feed. I am 35 years old with 35 kilos to loose and from Far North Queensland….where the sun shines and we sweat our little butts off but yet I hang on to loads of weight at the same time!

Looking for lots of inspiration so thankyou so far as to what I have read in this feed. I start my first fast day tomorrow (Monday). I have never calorie counted before so hope this journey will be successful for me and cannot wait to see all the successful stories of you all on here and sharing mine of course.

Have a lovely Sunday! xx

Penelope123 Welcome! I am about to start also, this thread looks very friendly & I look forward to sharing my highs & my lows with you all.

I live in Perth, my BMI was 31, I was border line diabetic on my last glucose test so looking at really getting on top of my health & fitness.

My first Fast day tomorrow, good luck everyone!!

Hi again everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can assist me.
    I started yesterday and have already entered my information & meals in the tracker for one day. The problem is, I am having one of those moments where you just go blank and search for something you cannot find.

Please, where do I click to enter my foods for the morning?

I have been clicking everything from my profile to tracker and I am not seeing where I need to go.

Your help would be so appreciated.

Cheers,

Is there a tracker on this site?? I didn’t know, I use fitness pal to enter my calories. Sorry not much help am I? Good luck

And yet another Aussie to add to the collection. I’m from Melbourne and like one and all (mostly) am in my 40’s and in need of halting that middle age spread and those creeping kilos. Where did they all come from!

I’m quite sedentary but try and exercise at least 3 – 4 times per week but am finding it an effort to shrink the waistline. I’ve only just logged on and entered details so will be in touch as and when I get properly started.

Take care one and all and good luck on the 5/2 diet. It sounds as though there has been a lot of positive outcomes so far.

HI Teena, Sydney here. Yes, where did those kilos come from in my 40’s? They are stubborn.
    I’m just started my 3rd week and I’m finding it easier each time.

Good luck with it, I am sure you’ll do great 🙂

Rain, I use a food diary and use a calorie app to work out how much everything is and then add it up myself. Sorry, I was no help either. I here fitness pal is very good though.

Hi all, boy I’m glad to see some Aussies here, I’m from Melbourne 41 and 90.7kg. Just 3 years ago I was 69kg fit and healthy, life turns just escalated the eating and I dropped the exercise. This year I was determined to get in control. But have just gone up and up, I saw the doco and thought I would give it ago, so started my fasting day today, was a little tough, but now at the end and feeling like I really started making a step in the right direction.
    Look forward to read all the posts here.

Hi all, I’m brand new and also in my 40s. I’m in Canberra and really would love to know any tips and also how much weight can I expect to.lose?
    Thanks

Hi. Newcomer to the 5:2. I’m 41 and the biggest I’ve ever been. I started today but will fast tuesdays and thursdays. I lowered my food intake overall for the last week so that overall I am eating less anyway. Big first day 23rd Sept. Made the raisin and cocao cereal bars tonight ready for tomorrow. I have breakfast and lunch sorted out. Ready to go!

Hi everyone, it’s been a few days since I checked in. Am now on my second week of this (hate calling it a “diet”) and did my third “fast” day today. It has been the easiest so far. Have found that on my normal eating days I’m actually eating a bit less. Just don’t seem as hungry or “hangry.” Now for the stunning news… I’ve lost 8 lbs. in seven days. I’ve never had that kind of result when I’ve tried to diet in the past. I’m 175 cm, 50 years old and went from 256 lbs. to 248. And I didn’t even exercise. Did a bit of walking downtown on one of the days is all. I suppose some of it was water weight, but I think I must have burned some fat on my fast days. I lost 2 inches in my bust and waist. I mean, usually, the fat hangs on like grim death and I cannot shift an ounce. So, yeah, definitely gonna keep going with this. I am worried about my blood pressure and diabetes runs in my family, so I’m really hoping this is something I can stick to. So far, so good. Hope everyone is doing well.

Pelly you are already taking the right steps I reckon, preparing for your fast day, well done! I had my first fast day today.
    Drank lots of water, herbal teas… Honey/vanilla/camamoile yum!

Brekkie: Scrambled eggs 220cals, quick n easy

Dinner: Goan eggplant curry with brown basmati rice 250cals recipes out of the Fast Beach Diet book
    Total 470

Did better then I thought, got a slight headache this evening maybe withdrawals from sugar, not sure.

Anyone else fast today, how did you go?

Hi Ladyloves1968, yes, fasted today and it was by far the easiest. Did get some hunger pangs, but went away after a few minutes. Just kept myself busy. The headaches seem to have stopped.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply.