Hello everyone….(he says sightly apprehensively)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Hello everyone….(he says sightly apprehensively)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• This is my first day here, in fact it is my first 10 minutes….

I am looking for…..

A structured series of workouts or routines to get me fit and not feeling old, tired etc.

I am 61 so, as per the workout plans on the site, HIIT cannot be for me, as a Beginner.

BUT steady state can, using the same exercises.

So I just wondered if there were any routines around?

if not then how do old, fat and tired people get started as clearly a 4 minute all out burst is heart-attack land!

Hi Old and welcome:

While exercise is important for good health, it is of little value for weight loss. I would suggest you lose 10 or 20 pounds before you begin an exercise program.

Having said that, I would walk everywhere as much as I could.

Here are some 5:2 tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thank you for your response.

I agree, re being not much use for weight loss. On the other hand exercise burns extra calories during the exercise and post exercise and curbs appetite so it must have some benefits.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3925973/

But I am old and tired…and exercise will slow the first and remove the second…if it is planned properly.

Hi Old:

Well, I agree that HIIT is not for beginners. I liken it to taking an older, high mileage poorly maintained car and entering it into a series of drag races. Two things are likely – one, the car won’t win any races and two, something is likely to break.

If you want an easy start for core and upper body strength, try this (in addition to walking).

Do as many beginners push ups and bent knee sit ups as you comfortably can do. Say you can do 10 of each (the number is not important, just the pattern).

The next time you exercise, do six each (yes, six). The next time you exercise, do one more – seven. Then eight, then nine. One more each day you exercise. You can do these in your home or hotel room – no need for a gym or special equipment or clothing. Try to exercise several times a week.

After a month or two, you will be doing 20 or 30 each session, and you can go from there.

Good Luck!

Again thank you for your reply

At present I do this:

https://greatist.com/move/7-minute-workout-that-science-says-works

As time progresses I get faster for each section i.e. instead of 10 pressups in 30 seconds I can now do 20.

BUT this is just one routine, good though it is.

I am hoping to find – currently surfing – a whole host of routines so I dont get bored and give up….

My flexibility is very very poor – one hand over shoulder, other going up, still 9 inches apart. Plus I have old shoulder and leg injury, dodgy back and all sorts of cholesterol problems…so I have to be careful too…

There are many varieties of HIIT and a beginner can certainly do it. If you are really deconditioned you can start by alternating slow and fast walking 1 min slow 30sec fast X 10 cycles. All you are doing is increasing heart rate and allowing recovery.

The same can be done on an exercise bike. You will be surprised how fast you can improve

Hi OATG
    I’d support previous recommendations to use walking as a means to increase cardiovascular fitness, but by walking I mean fast walking, not strolling and chatting with a friend or a gentle walk with the dog speed. A good fast walk, perhaps aiming to cover 3 km in 30 minutes will get your heart rate up and at the same time it will be low impact. I’m reading between the lines and thinking that if you have a sizeable weight loss in mind you don’t want to risk damage to hip and knee joints.

If you enjoy walking and have worked up to a reasonable time and distance you could comsider Parkrun. Calling yourself ‘old git’ suggests that you are UK based and there are hundreds of events each weekend. It’s a free 5 km timed event, and as its name says it’s park based, but YOU DON’T HAVE TO RUN. Check their website and go to the results section for a local run. In some, but not all, you will see that the tailenders take 1 hour to complete tne course. This is definitely walking pace! A word of warning, some parkruns are full of racers, so choose an event where you will be comfortable.

From a walking Parkrun the sky’s the limit. Couch to 5k or HIIT are just around the corner.

Hope that you find this useful

There is an app for the phone/iPad called 7-Minute Fitness. One workout rotates through exercises for most major muscle groups –AT YOUR OWN PACE. Ex: do jumping jacks. You have 30 seconds to do as many as you can. maybe that’s 3 and then you have to stop. Ok, stop. Then there is a brief break before the next exercise: pushups. Again, you have 30 seconds. You get the idea. Each day you will be a little stronger than you were before. and you can do the exercises anywhere. Can’t do one of them? Don’t — no one is checking on you.
    I started doing these when I was 67 and have increased my strength markedly.

Good luck, Old. The good news is that you want to exercise for increased health.

Oatg – you may want to consider yoga – you can do it into your nineties, it is exceptionally good for core strength and ‘getting off the floor’ suppleness, it takes away many aches and pains and the ladies will love you for it. Yoga was primarily practised by men – more should consider it (I assume you are a man as you called youself a git!). This youtube tutor is very good – kino yogo. Have fun!

Tai Chi is also highly recommended for increasing mobility.
    When is your next Fast Day, Oatg?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.