Hello!

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  daniela34 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Hi all. I’ve done my homework and read the book and I’ve been having a nose in the forums. I’m really at a crossroads and uncertain whether to do this. I get the basic principles of the 5:2 and believe it or not it’s not the fast days that bother me but actually the non fast days.
    By reading many questions and answers on the forums it seems to be divided into ‘eat whatever you want on your non fast day, hell even have take outs if you want’ to ‘you must have no more than 4 times your fast calories (basically 2000 for a woman) for it to work. So which one is it? Or is it a case of ‘everyone is different’ and it’s trial and error.
    For me if I have to count calories each day then I may as well just do a calorie controlled diet without putting myself through 2 fasts a week. I understand totally there are other benefits besides weight loss when it comes to 5:2 but I know if most of us were honest the main reason people do the 5:2 is to lose weight.
    Look forward to hearing your opinions x

How does that saying go? Ask 10 forum members for advice and you will get 11 opinions on what is best. The concept of 5:2 by Michael Mosley comes largely from the work of Valter Longo a researcher that looks into longevity and fasting. There was no scientific basis for choosing 500 cal for your fast days. It was a number plucked out of thin air and it was what Mosley though most people could actually do. If you can do zero cal on your fast day, great. I do zero on my fast days. I have been in maintenance for 3 1/2 years now and do 6:1.

If you eat whatever you want can you still be successful? Yes but the odds will be stacked against you. Some people can probably get away with it, I suspect most will not. Just go to the maintenance section and ask those that have been maintaining for a long time whether they eat anything they like, or whether they are disciplined and eat healthy most of the time.

So here is my take on things. If you choose to eat healthy foods then there is no need to count calories. I have never counted calories. What do I consider healthy? I have eliminated all processed grain based foods. I consider them to be pure junk food. No bread, pasta, pizza, biscuits, rice etc. No added sugar. No fruit juice, pure junk. What do I eat? Mostly vegetables, some fruit, some meat. Lots of legumes, beans, lots of nuts and seeds. Pretty basic really. Do I have treats? Yes but its a rarity. If you eat healthy your chances of success are high. Eat crap and you greatly diminish your chances of success.

If you feel that the fasting side of things will be easy for you then by all means whats stopping you from starting? Go for it. If you also combine it with healthy eating there will be no need to count calories. Good luck.

MrsP I’ve been doing this for three years and have never counted calories on a fast day.

However, as I got closer to my healthy weight it became more important to eat less junk food and to have sensible portions of my healthy everyday food on Non Fast Days.

But this is a good thing for everyone to do, necessary for maintaining a healthy weight, and not particularly related to 5:2.

Hi MrsP,

There are people who eat many various ways for various reasons – individual versions of what people consider healthy, philosophical, medical, religious, national, and sometimes just fads, but, you get to choose what you want to eat, what fits your goals, your health, age, life factors, medical situation etc.

The constant is ‘sugar is bad for you’, so most here eventually end up using little of it over time, and relax a little at special celebrations.

At first people think fasting is very difficult. It usually takes 1-3 weeks for people to realise it’s not hard if you know what to do, and just about everyone finds it easy after those first few fasts. Most of us actually look forward to our fasting days.

The 500 cals was a bit arbitary but it was what Dr Mosely thought people could handle and still get the fasting benefit. It works. You will need to work out your TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure for your non-Fast Days. Fasting days are up to 500 ( or 800 in the new version) or up to 1/4 of your TDEE. You don’t multiply the 500 for your nonFDs. Eg. My TDEE is quite low because of my personal situation at 1440. So on FDs I do 360 and occasionally 500. You’ll probably need to calorie count for a short time only while you get used to what works for you.

It is not at all like calorie counting for everyday of deprivation which other diets do. This is a healthy way of life where you get to eat what you want to. It does say you can eat what you like, but it doesn’t say eat ‘as much’ as you like.

I’ve been on 5:2 for 3yrs 9months, despite being unable to exercise for health reasons. I lost 21kgs and learnt what fits my lifestyle, and I’ll keep doing it now because it’s a joy to know I’m a normal weight, that has improved my health as much as it can, and I’m more than happy.

Mrs P. Join a thread with large numbers of posts that feels a comfortable fit for you. You’ll get support and questions snswered. You will gradually work out what works for you.

Lots of good advice there. Pick the best of the advice and apply it. Find an eating pattern that suits you and make that your pattern for the rest of your life. Good luck, it works, but only if you give it a genuine go.

One thing I wouldn’t do, MrsP, is eat 2000 calories on a Slow Day. If you don’t want to count calories [as an old ‘counter’ myself, I don’t find that difficult, but to each his/her own], at least cut down on foods of scant nutritional value on Slow Days. I still eat cookies and ice cream and go out for dinner, but not all the time. My TDEE =1450 which is sufficient for me after 5 years of Fasting 2 days/week. We still Fast because we enjoy the foods we eat on Fast Days and because it keeps our weight down.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. It really means a lot and is very helpful x

Thank you. That’s really helpful x

Thank you. Your feedback makes complete sense x

My TDEE is actually 2400 as I have 3 stone to lose. Yes I M embarrassingly overweight ☹️ Thanks for taking the time to reply x

@mrsp2008. I lost 48 lbs, so that’s well over 3 stone over the course of one year. About 1 lbs per week is average. So just do it. Get rid of your worst sugar treat and replace with a healthy option.

Thank hour x

MrsP, a TDEE of 2400 is rather high! Did you calculate that with your current weight or the weight you WANT TO BE? Try the latter and see if it is different. Aim for a TDEE below 2000 calories [which is a LOT] and you will lose weight a bit faster.
    By the way, even though my TDEE = 1450, I do not divide that by 4 to get my Fasting calorie count. I still Fast at 600 calories, all of which maintains my weight at my target.

Hi.
    I can assure you it’s right. I’m 5ft 8 and I weigh 13 stone 9lbs. I also chose lightly active which is an underestimation given that I exercise everyday but I have read that it’s best to go one below just in case.
    I’ve got to say although it may not have been your intention it isnt great to to say someone’s TDEE is rather high as unless they are a body builder etc the chances are their TDEE is high due to being very overweight. Making a point of that in a post could have a negative effect on the person you have said it to. Again I’m sure this was not your intention but food for thought next time.
    As a side note my question was not around my TDEE but rather about what you can eat on NFD’s which I have since learned.
    I have checked my TDEE just to be sure on various calculators online and I could drop it down to 2100 if I take a more accurate stance on my exercise and then assume the burn is overestimated so I might do that. I appreciate compared to you it’s still high but we are all different and I’m afraid that’s me for now (but hopefully not forever).

Hi MrsP
    I’ve started this week too, and have a TDEE of over 2200. My understanding from what I’ve read in this resource is that your TDEE can be used as a guide on your non-fast days. I know I’m very new to this, but at this stage, I’m tracking what I eat a little more heavily than I normally would just to ‘get a picture of consumption on non-fast days. I am certainly more focussed on making more healthy choices, but as someone who has a lot of weight to lose, I don’t want to be focussed on ‘dieting’ again – as soon as I become focussed on restriction, then my ‘head’ goes ballistic with thoughts of what I am ‘missing out on’ and then the minute I get off track, I think why bother? I did find on my first fast day that the knowledge that no matter what, I could have all those things tomorrow was a good incentive and really helped me to stay on track for the day. Today is my second fast day and I’m struggling more, but I did have a more ‘carby’ meal last night in Mongolian beef with rice (home made, not take out).

Personally, I’m focussing on the 500 calories on fast days, rather than a quarter of my TDEE. I’ll see how I go along the way and of course remember to reassess your TDEE as you lose weight. Keen to hear how you go on this journey! Take care. x

Dear MrsP, I am sorry that I affronted you. It was not my intent.
    I questioned your TDEE not to imply that you were very overweight, but to help you to lose your weight.
    Using the numbers, you provided, I calculated your TDEE under Resources on this page at the top.
    When you put in your current weight , 13 stone, the TDEE = 2026 calories.
    But that is your current weight, not the weight you want to be. If you plug in 12 stone, TDEE = 1939 calories. For 11 stone, TDEE= 1852 calories per day. Do you see why I was confused and inquired about your TDEE? Try it with a setting of 10 stone [since you want to lose 3 stone] and see what you get.
    I wish you the best of luck.

I like @fasting_me‘s point. Avoid foods with low nutritional value. If you focus on foods that have high nutrition then the diet takes care of itself. Out goes the processed foods, the added sugars and the mindless snacks. (Well I could do a lot better on the snacks … 🙁 )

Calories are just a measurement of how much energy can be extracted from something. There are calories in many things, it isn’t limited to food. The body doesn’t have to burn or store every calorie that goes into it either. Ideally the goal is to have the body taking some of the calories it uses from the excess fat it has. I’ve found eating for nutrition is much more effective than restricting calories. On the flip side though, a lot of highly nutritious foods aren’t calorie dense.

@dykask. Digressing a little, modern agriculture has done us a great disservice. By making most foods more calorie dense we have gone down a very poor path. Granted it has help feed those in third worlds but for the rest of us it has been a very poor outcome. The fruit and veggies we now eat bare little resemblance to what they did 100 years ago. The sugar content has gone up and the fibre content has gone down. Last year while on holidays in Darwin (northern Australia) I asked an aboriginal if it was OK to eat an “apple” I had found while hiking through a national park. Yeah sure, its a bush apple. It was small, nearly all fibre and a hint of sweet pear taste. So different to the sugar laden apples we now have.

Pick nutritionally dense foods with lots of fibre content. Do that and its hard to go wrong. Think long and hard before choosing processed foods.

Honestly speaking, I have not read such wise words for a long time. You gave me for thought. I did not quite think how I should do it. I always counted everything, and now you have made me realize that if I eat healthy, I do not have to: D

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.