Guilty over missing a fast day :(

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
Guilty over missing a fast day :(

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Myggan40 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hi everyone,

I’ve been doing the fast diet since the 11th November, so far I’m really pleased with the results, I’ve lost 6lb and that’s with hugely overindulging at Christmas! Apart from the first week I haven’t really struggled with the diet, keeping myself busy on fast days and eating normally on my other days. I’m 28 and have tried numerous diets in my time but this is the first I have ever stuck to for longer than 2 weeks. However this week I have missed a fast day, now I’m worrying I’m on the slippery slope to giving up! Anyone else out there missed out fast days?
    Xxxx

You need to try to be really strong Rachael. Whenever you feel like you are going to weaken, sit down with a pen and paper list all the benefits of being slim, then the strength will come back. Best wishes

Thanks Charles that sounds like good advice. This is the first stumble I’ve had so far and really need to stay on track. Best wishes to you too.

Hi Rachaelm29, Charles1 has come up with an interesting idea about what is basically the pros and cons of the benefits of being slim. This is a positive attempt to keep on track. My additional comment is… do not beat yourself up about missing a fast day. This way of life is flexible. You missed a day. So what?. I miss a day from time to time. Pick another day. Do this to suit you. Do not worry.
    Good luck.

Thanks couscous, I think I’m just worrying about staying on track now that I’ve had a week with only 1 fast! It’s nice to have a little encouragement from others. I just felt incredibly guilty, but I will stop beating myself up about it now, thank you 🙂

@rachaelm29 …oh dear! You shouldn’t be feeling guilty or be beating yourself up on missing a fast day. The world won’t end and there’s no reason why you should go ‘off track’.

It was only one day. As you go on you will probably find that you will have to change or miss out fast days. Don’t let this run your life …it has to fit in what suits you.

Now…draw a line under it and move on. You’re doing fine.

xxx

I love this diet so much from the others because of it’s flexibility.
    I set a rigid plan, and when I struggle I feel good that I can start again in the morning.

My boss bought us donuts. I was like heck yea!
    They laughed their arses off watching me jump rope in parking lot in my big blue shirt. Like I was obesity smurf. Anyway I was on 5:2 for 6 months. It was hard learn a new way. Eating it took months before I got the point of no worries. I admit when I first started it was like falling off a horse. Taking a lot of will power to keep fitting the hunger genies into crannies on different days , but I endured. After a job change and financial crisis. Four months go by , the weight stayed off and I’m back this year like I only fell off my bike and just got right back on. This year is better because I know what to expect. I know I’m going to fail a few days. I keep a better journal on the pc . Use Calorie tracking app to cut a few calories over the next week.
    What I mean to say is I don’t really count calories on non fasting days unless I miss a day. Then I’m trying to equal it out to the same Calorie count even if it isn’t a 600 calorie day. It’s still a 10,000 calorie week for me.

I feel guilty if I miss a fast day. It’s not happened very often and it’s usually when I have fasted all day but then gone off the rails when I have got home. I feel guilty and angry with myself for not having the will power when I have been good all day but then I give myself a good talking to and get on with it. The problem is that although I know what I should (or should not be eating) sometimes the “munchies” get the better of me and no matter how many times I tell myself I can have it tomorrow I want it today!

I also feel guilty if I miss a day of excercise. Sometimes I do a bit because it’s better than nothing but sometimes I don’t do any at all. I tell myself there is always tomorrow and as long as I do something about it tomorrow I will be ok. I reckon that as long as I don’t give up altogeth I’ll get there in the end.

Slowly but surely Linds 🙂
    The joy of 5:2 is its flexibility, so no guilt! Put a bad day behind you and start again.
    😀

Hi Rachael!

I’d say to myself (and I have said to myself 🙂 ), “This isn’t a diet. It’s a way of life. Just start living again.”

In classic diets you follow this strict recipes. When you do that then you’re “good”. If you don’t do that, then you’re “bad” and feel guilty. And not only that, you feel very bad if you told your friends that you’re on a diet and they “catch” you eating (usually anything) on a fast day.

But if you tell yourself (and if you must – anyone else) that you changing yourlifestyle bit by bit, then you don’t need to feel guilty anymore.

1) You’re not accountable to anyone save yourself. Don’t feel bad if things don’t work out like you planned. Just forgive yourself and go back to the plan.
    2) Your life will be hopefully long. Stop treating it like it’s a game show “The Biggest Loser”. The theme of your life should be making yourself healthier and happier, not getting on a scale and providing the public with “good” results.
    3) If you failed on that day, you failed on that day – you’re not a failure at life.
    4) 5:2 can be frustrating, because I planned to be thin by now, and it’s not working out like I planned. Turns out my body is more stubborn than I want it to be. But I’m not giving up, because it’s a life plan, not a diet.
    5) Most of the people here wind up “cheating” on a fast day, because of a number of reasons: frustration and stress being the top 2. If that happens to you, go ahead and eat – feel a little guilty – forgive yourself – and go back to your lifestyle plan. It’s okay to be human. It’s okay to be you.

I love the fact that this “diet” is so flexible that every day is a new start.
    I’d never done a diet before because of the guilt attached to doing it wrong and also because I was lazy and thought I wasn’t really that overweight…
    2 kids later and half a year past 40 (my get fit year) I just happened to read about the 5:2.

I loved the idea that it’s so free and you fit it into your life. You do have to have some willpower and you do have to want to loose the weight/inches for it to work.
    But the mantra ‘I can ear it tomorrow’ really helped get me through the first month.
    When tomorrow dawns you realise you didn’t actually want it so much or you’d rather not ruin the good work the fast day has done.

I have been doing the 5:2 ( I don’t call it a diet anymore) since the 15th of January and it’s worked wonders for me. I started on 85kg and am now down to 73.8kg. Another 800g and I have lost 2 stone. Jippee.
    And it’s staying off! Every time i weigh myself I expect to have put loads of it back on but
    I rarely have.
    I do exercise quite a bit and that has made the progress faster. Now I actually like getting my training gear on and I don’t feel like hiding in the back of Zumba class anymore.

Keep it going all of you clever people who has found the 5:2 way of life!
    Linds and Rachelm29 don’t loose hope. There is another potential fast day tomorrow. And if you miss a day one week think about it this way… At least you’ve done 1 day – that is more than nothing at all and you are still doing the right thing.

Good luck all and have a lovely Saturday!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.