Goals, support and something to aim for

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
Goals, support and something to aim for

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tmadl 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Some of you may have noticed that I never really start threads, so this is a new one for me but I could do with a bit of a cheering squad for the next few weeks and it got me thinking about goals & support.

I am doing the Sports Relief swimathon at the end of March and if anyone is so inclined to donate to this fantastic cause, you can do so by sponsoring me if you like, here: http://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/tracyjohnson

I’m guessing that a lot of us are using fitness goals and events like this to push ourselves further within this lifestyle? I’d like to hear what others are doing/ planning so we can support eachother.

This isn’t the first time I’ve done the swimathon (although it’s only re-branded as ‘Sport Relief’ every 2 years – usually it’s the Marie Currie Cancer Care Swimathon) and it has really helped me focus and force myself to the pool, even on days when it would have been easy to make any excuse not to go. I have a friend who’s using upcoming running events to do the same for her (although her’s is all about fitness, as she’s not on 5:2 or any other diet).

Is anyone else using ‘Sport Relief’ as an excuse to get into fitness again? If not, why not? You only have to sign up for a minimum of a mile and you don’t have to swim it, you can cycle or run/walk instead. Even if you don’t get much sponsorship, whatever you do make – every little helps – and your sign up cost can be your donation to Sport Relief this year, so it’s win win.

So what are you doing to spur yourselves on? Are there similar events outside the UK that our non-UK 5:2 brethren can use?

Hmm .. exercise goals, eh ? Well, the only one I have declared to anyone so far is the upcoming London to Brighton Cycle Ride. Nothing too special really but this one is the NIGHT ride starting 11pm on 12 July 2014. Nicely in the dark, thus, and away from the day-time heat, which I cannot stand. For me it will certainly be a novelty, though the distance itself, at about 60 miles, I know to be within my dwindling ability.

My other interest is running ā€“ not that I am any good at it ā€“ but I do like being able still to be part of the running scene at 68, at weekly events throughout the year. I am addicted to parkrun (small ā€˜pā€™). If interested have a look at http://www.parkrun.com/ . This volunteer organisation puts on 5K running events in parks and other open spaces every Saturday throughout the year at 9am (9.30am in N Ireland and Scotland) at some 300+ venues worldwide, but mostly in the UK. ALL abilities welcome ! Walk if you have to. Seriously. So if you could do with the discipline of getting out for a regular timed run, come on down. There is quite likely to be one near you and more are starting up almost weekly.

Anyway, commercial over, how does this fit in with my goals ? Well, I know from bitter experience that gaining weight puts a major brake on athletic performance, as my current performances testify. So I have set myself the target of getting to run 5K inside 30 mins once again. I last managed this back in October 2010 when I had got my BMI down to 25 at last. Then Christmas turned up. My BMI is currently 27 so there is much room for improvement .. and optimism.

Nearly forgot : parkrun is FREE !

Wow macloud!!! 60 miles! That’s pretty epic I think, especially in the dark. Good for you and good luck with the ride.

I’ve heard of the parkrun thing through my running friend (mentioned earlier), so they’ve got as far as Yorkshire šŸ˜€ I can’t see myself running I’m afraid, I have marathon level runners in my family but it’s never been for me. Plus I quite like being able to use my knees & hips, I’d like to keep doing so for quite some time to come. I’m fine on a bike as long as it’s off-road or in a gym but I freak out a bit in traffic, so I should probably avoid organised bike rides too šŸ˜‰

Thank you for your messages. I’m going to use translation gooogle thereafter.

So inspiring. My goal is 2 stone by Christmas. I started 17 days ago. I’m down about 3 lbs. some days more but I assume it’s water. I’ve started averaging my last 3 days in order to avoid the emotional ups and downs of surprise changes.

My family is very supportive. Exercise is 4-5 days a week plus walks on the off days. Does anyone find 24 fasts enough? I can’t do the 36, no matter how much water I drink. But I’m going 3 days a week, not two.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.