Getting nowhere fast

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MaryAnn 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi everyone, I have been doing the 5:2 for about 4 weeks now and have not lost a single pound. I maintain about a 1700 cal intake on my non fast days and stick to a 500 cal intake on my fasting days. I do yoga and cardiovascular workouts alternative days about 5 times a week for 30/40 mins each time. I am 138 pounds and 5 foot tall 48 year old woman who is fit and well bar some mild arthritis.

As a health professional I have a better than average grasp of what is healthy, have exercised regularly for over over 20 years, scratch cook, avoid processed food and wheat but have always struggled to lose weight. I am not obese but am overweight for my height. I really am at a loss and need some reassurance that in time this will work, I only want to drop about 7-10 pounds! Any ideas???

Have you worked out your TDEE? This is the number of calories you need to maintain your weight given the amount of activity you enter. This can be done by using the tool on your Fast Diet profile. I think your problem is the amount you are eating over this on your non fast days – 1700 calories seems too much for someone who is 5 ft tall! If you are eating too much on non fast days it cancels out all your efforts on your fast days so do check your calorie levels. Certainly if you are only needing to drop a few pounds progress will be slower – it always is as you near the ideal weight. I’m not a fan of counting calories but when the margins are small it may be the only way. Don’t give up – this is the ony method I’ve tried that really works for me and is sustainable. Good luck.

Hi Bunnie, thanks for getting back to me and the encouragement! I have worked out my TDEE and it was just over 1800 which I think comes down to my regular excercise, being mindful that the site advises we can overestimate this I took an average between moderate and light so went for 1700.
    Its difficult because eating too little will impact negatively as well. Maybe it will just take a bit longer for me. Thanks again for the encouragement,

I am 5’2” and my start weight 9 weeks ago was 139 lbs. I classify myself as Sedentary and my only form of exercise is a daily 30 minute walk. My TDEE then for a 60 year old was 1386 per day which is considerably less than the 1700 calories you are eating on non-fast days.

Currently 123.6 lbs just following 5:2 and keeping under the recommended TDEE which automatically went down with my weight and is now 1295.

I enter everything on Calorie Count as I am interested in the nutritional values of the food and I am keeping a watch on cholesterol levels. My Fitness Pal is another food tracker.

Thanks eveyone, am going to keep plowing on and see how things go. I am not giving up and will review my TDEE weekly if my weight or activity changes!

TDEE calculators just give you an estimate. If you’re not losing weight, you’re not in calorie deficit. Maybe try 1500 on no fast days or try 4:3? Also, are you measuring in addition to weighing? Sometimes people lose inches before pounds.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.