Forum for Men?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  diverdog 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

• I just started this, and almost all the posts seem to be by women. Is there a men’s forum anyone can point me to? Or would anyone be interested in starting one?

Hi David,

There’s a men’s thread in the Support, chat and encourage forum, but it hasn’t had any activity in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can post something there and liven things up.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/are-there-many-guys-on-this-diet/

You may also want to check out the Americans thread in the Welcome forum. There are a few of us guys in there.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/americans-and-anyone-else-who-might-like-to-join/

Bronx

What about chatting here, and maybe others will come??

I started the diet Monday. I’m 6’0″ 255, 60 y/o. I began to slowly gain weight from 185, 20 years ago.

I lost two pounds Monday, then dieted again yesterday, and I’m a pound up from Monday. No gorging or binging Tues/Wed. Pretty regular. I was hoping to drop 10 pounds a month. And a 2:1 seems to suit me better, as I’m not on a fixed, weekly schedule.

Hi David and welcome:

As the average weight loss on 5:2 is about 4 pounds a month, your 10 pound goal is very aggressive. I don’t know what 2:1 is, so can’t comment on that.

Here are some tips that might help. If you read the TDEE link you will get an idea of what you can expect to lose given the calorie restriction of what you choose to do. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I read about other men who lost 10-12 lbs per month. And I assume the 4/month includes women and people who slip off the wagon on some fast days.

Are you a man? What was your personal experience?

As far as exercise, I’m doing 3 ten-minute stationary bike rides weekly of 2.75 miles, starting out slowly, and then knocking it out toward the end.

Hi David:

Some people lose some water weight initially so the numbers are inflated at the start. Fat loss is about a pound a week. Exercise will not help your weight loss much, and that is also addressed in a link on the thread I suggested you look at. I am a man.

Good Luck!

Yes, I know exercise has little to no role in losing weight.

What is your weight loss history, if you don’t mind sharing.

2:1 is at is sounds, 2 days of regular eating, 1 of fasting.

Hi David:

I’ve lost over 40 pounds in over 3 years, but I don’t do 5:2 all of the time. Last year I decided to maintain and ended the year within a pound of where I started. This year I decided to lose again.

And when you did 5:2 consistently for a few months, how much did you lose?

And what was your height/weight at the start of the weight loss period?

Thanks, D

Hi David:

I lost about a pound a week.

If you look around this site you will see people that have lost from a few to over 100 pounds. They lose at varying rates over different time periods. Everyone is different.

I suggest you read the thread I suggested for information.

Good Luck!

Hi David,

There are a few males on this forum. I think you have to temper your enthusiasm for weight loss and set realistic goals. I went from 202 lbs to 158 lbs over the course of 2015 and have been in maintenance mode 6:1 since about March this year. So that works out to be about 0.7 lbs per week loss for me.

Based on your data your TDEE is about 2400 cal per day. Use it as a guide. OK based on this lets do some number crunching. 9.3 cal per gram of fat. Lets assume your fast day is a water fast so zero calories. What can you expect to lose? 2400 divide 9.3 = 258 grams or 0.568 lbs. If you do 5:2 then that’s eight fast days per month. So 8 x .568 = 4.5 pounds. If you wanted to lose 10 pound per month then you would have to be doing a water fast for 18 days per month. Unsustainable in my opinion. Also as you lose weight your TDEE will drop significantly and so your weight loss will also slow. If you can achieve one pound per week loss you will be doing VERY well.

I used to do two consecutive water only fast days on Monday and Tuesday. So last meal was on Sunday night at 7pm and then breakfast on Wednesday 7am. 60 hour fast per week. I now do water fast every Monday, so its a 36 hour fast every week.

You have to be very mindful of what you eat. Get rid of ALL sugar and be very sparing with simple carbs. No bread, pasta, pizza, rice, potatoes. Soft drinks with sugar or artificial sweeteners are a complete no go zone. Fruit juice is a compete no go zone.

Try and get the majority of your carbs from vegetables and some fruit. Only whole fruits, never in smoothies and never dried fruits. Don’t be scared of butter and high fat yogurts. Avocados and almonds or walnuts are good foods.

The food pyramid is wrong. Simple carbs like breads and grains should be a sometimes food. Sugar is a never food.

Good luck, it works if you are serious about it.

Thanks for your thoughts. Do you mind sharing if you’re male or female and your height?

I’ve read of other people who lost 10 pounds a month on this diet, including one in Dr. Mosely’s book. Shame on him if he’s featuring unrepresentative dieters.

Im male 178cm (5’10” I think?) 72kg (158 lbs). BMI is about 22.7.

Don’t get me wrong 10 pounds per month is do-able but would be at what I would call the extreme end of what is possible and sustainable over any length of time. You do not want your body to think it is in “trouble” with regards energy intake otherwise it will slow down your metabolism to compensate for the reduction in caloric intake. 5:2 is a reasonable compromise which I think will have a minimal impact on your metabolic rate (apart from the expected decrease as you lose weight).

My example above was just for fat loss. There will also be an associated loss in water as well. If you can do 1 pound per week you should be very content with that. That is sustainable in my opinion.

I suspect a big reason for the variance in weight loss is how people eat on their non-fast days.

I dont feel like bingeing at all. Let’s say somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 calories daily has been average for me in recent months. Dropping to 600 two days a week, seems to make me want to eat less on the non-fast days, to bring them more into harmony with the fast days.

How old are you? Had you been overweight long? Congrats on the big loss and on holding it.

Im 54 and it was a slow increase over the last 25 years. Roughly 2 pounds per year. I got to 202 about Feb 2015 and finally said enough is enough. I think the trick with 5:2 is to set realistic goals. It took 25 years for the increase so losing it over one year, well that’s fast but do-able. Is faster possible? Probably. Is it sustainable without a weight gain rebound? Probably not.

Your body isn’t stupid, if it knows it will consistently be deprived of caloric intake it will reduce your metabolic rate so that the reduced calories in is now matched with a reduced calories out (metabolic rate is reduced to compensate). Personally this is why I think 5:2 works. It tricks the body into not reducing its metabolic rate (apart from the natural decrease that is expected as a result of less body mass).

2500 to 3000 cal seems a little high. Maybe 2500 is just OK based on your current weight. OK this is what I have found as a result of doing 5:2 (now 6:1). After a while I found that I was naturally eating smaller portions even on non fast days. I was not seeking sugary things. Don’t get me wrong, I still have a piece of cake but its a rarity. I became satiated I lot quicker. I believe this is a result of my stomach shrinking. Leptin (satiety hormone) is signalled and produced when stomach is in a stretched state. With a smaller stomach it becomes stretched more quickly.

Avoid sugar and simple carbs like bread, rice, pizza, pasta etc. They are sometimes foods, not an everyday staple. Avoid sugar loaded drinks, this includes fruit juice!! If you want fruit eat whole fruit. Never dried fruit.

I encountered two plateaus along the way. One at 84kg and then one at 78 kg where the weight just wouldn’t budge for about 2-3 weeks. Im sure my body was attempting to reduce my metabolic rate to compensate for the reduced caloric intake. I just increased my physical activity (I like riding my bike, its my happy place) for a while and that kicked off the loss again.

Good luck with it. If youre genuine about it, it works.

I don’t eat a lot of grains and hardly any sugar. In fact, I don’t even have any sugar in the house. I’d be fine with the Atkins diet if it weren’t for the lack of fruit, and total ban on alcohol. It seems like the only things I partake too much of are alcohol (on average maybe 6 oz vodka and 6 oz red wine daily) and cheese. I also tend to eat my main meal late, around 9:00, which probably isn’t the best time.

Yesterday was non-fast, and I ate three moderate-sized meals, but after dinner I had an Atkins chocolate bar, and then a couple ounces of Thai noodles and then maybe 1 oz of cheese. Not a half gallon of ice cream kind of binge, but not totally mindful eating either.

The alcohol may be making it difficult. I drink alcohol but would probably have one glass per week (or less). So 12 oz per day might be a problem. 7 cal per gram for alcohol. That’s 340 cal just there alone. And its straight to the liver and processed and stored as fat!! Are you drinking on fast days? Cant see how youre going to come in under 600 cal? It leaves you with 240 cal of real food to play with. Processing that much alcohol means your liver is working hard. Your call though.

Atkins chocolate? Read the label REAL closely. How much sugar and carbs does it contain? I saw a “health bar” call Paleo Brunch bar the other day in the supermarket. Read the label and sugar + chocolate content was 49% and the protein was highly refined grains. Give me a fricking break. Paleo bar?? WTF. Really??? What a joke. The 1oz of cheese was probably OK, the 3oz of noodles probably didn’t do you any favours after your meal.

Sorry mis-calculated the calories for the alcohol. I’ll assume an average alcohol content of 20%. So your 12 oz is actually 475 cals. If youre drinking on your fast day that leaves you with 125 cal of real food. Personally Id say that it makes it almost impossible to come in under 600 cal for a fast day. It also makes it hard on your non fast days as well. Like I said in another post success doesn’t chase you, you have to chase success.

Hi

I’m male, nearly 60, and have consistently lost about a pound a weel for 14 weeks on 5:2. Mis counting fast calories has been very scrupulous on the whole, but I was slow to look closely at TDEE (getting it right) and being scrupulous about that too. A tip I read here that’s useful is to put your target weight into the calculator INSTEAD of your current weight. Then you see what the difference in TDEE is. You might want to reduce yours to spped things.

Edit: Meant to say ‘counting cals on fast days has been very scrupulous’. Sorry.

No, Silly, I’m not drinking on fast days, although I did break down and have one last night and skipped my strawberries and part skim ricotta dessert. Eight days now, and early morning weight down 4.5 pounds. Wednesday (next fast day), I’m going to stir fry some shrimp in pan spray coating. I go on vacation June 6 for a week, and want to be able to get into at least one pair of short pants that now are still too tight. I’ve got about 10 more pounds until all of the last round of clothes are fine.

Hi Charlie, I dont want to count calories on my non-fast days. Maybe I should, but I think the idea is more to eat in moderation and try not to think about dieting much. And, anyway, I kind of distrust a lot of calculations. Last year I spent two weeks in Italy, I ate pizza or pasta just about every day, lots of bread, ice cream every day, drank more than normal. When I got home, I realized I had lost 5 pounds.

Great that you don’t drink on fast days. I calorie counted for the first 2 weeks of trying 5:2 and I counted be bothered so I decided to make my fast days water only. That way I didn’t need to count anything. To my surprise I found zero calories easier to do that 600 calories. Everyone is different I know, but for me water only was easy. I tend to be mindful on my non fast days but I don’t count calories. Everyone is different and you need to do what works for you.

Wow. Yesterday wasn’t a fast day, and I was in something of a rush this morning, so I didn’t weigh in, particularly after an evening of 10 oz of flank steak, 3 drinks, and an Atkins bar. I got back home around noon, after a breakfast of vegetarian, low-fat dairy, crustless quiche and chicken sausage, and I weighed while changing clothes, and was down another 2 pounds. 6 pounds in 9 days. I placed my email address in my profile for anyone who would want to message privately.

Sounds like you’re doing well!! Maybe youre one of the lucky ones that just has to be a bit mindful of what you eat and it works well for you. Keep it up.

Yesterday was a fluke weigh. It’s all back today. Another fast day today. Why do you come here bb, if you’ve already lost it all?

Good question. Its like Ive found the secret code and want to share it with others. I read some of the posts and I shout Noooooo don’t do that. There are a few poster that are in maintenance mode, most just post in that section though.

I’m a man and have lost 7lbs in my first 2 weeks. I do 600 cals Mon and Thurs and the rest of the working week eat and drink healthily (lots of eggs, lean meat, vegetables, fruit and water). Last weekend however I had fried chicken, chips, beer and chocolate. Aggressive it may be but I’m happy. I expect it’ll slow down in any case.

Hi DM,

Weight up for me over the past four days. Early morning today, after a relatively light-eating non-fast day, it was 252. Four days ago it was 250, and three days ago at noontime, 249.5. Haven’t been on the bicycle all week. Busy with work. Today is non-fast — going to get in the kitchen and make a 9-egg, 7-meal crustless quiche (I eat a hardboiled egg for breakfast on my fast days.)

Crustless quiche sounds great. Never thought of that. I generally make 3 egg omlettes. I’m out on the town tonight so will have to show some restraint!

I get 8 servings out of a dozen eggs typically. A quiche is 4 oz of liquid for every egg. The classic version uses heavy cream, but I used a mix of light sour cream and whole milk today. A frittata foregoes most of the liquid. I filled mine today with 12 oz of chicken sausage, a can of artichokes, 12 oz. potatoes, a fennel bulb, green onions, chives, 6 oz parmesan, parsley, basil, salt & pepper.

It sounds nice yet I’m still to try it. I will though. Just had 2 soft boiled eggs, green salad, tomatoes, beetroot, a few olives and 2 Quorn peppered steaks for my fast day. Around 570 calories. Weigh in tomorrow. Can’t wait. How are you getting on?

I’m down 7 lbs in 15 days. No way to continue on this pace, especially with 30 days of travel the next 3.5 months Shooting for 30 pounds, which would get me down to 220, halfway to the weight I held before 40.

I had never heard of Quorn, but searched it and found that 2 of my local grocery stores carry it. I’ll check it out. Trader Joes also has low calorie entries. I have a 230-calorie chicken asada waiting for tomorrow and Monday.

That’s very good going, well done. I dropped 2lbs this week, but ate some steak, chips, cheesecake and had beers at the weekend. Quorn is meat substitute so you might just want to sample it first! I like it as it’s low in fat and tastes great (to me). It also satisfies my unhealthy constant desire for red meat. Day off today to take my sons go karting so at least I won’t be thinking of food.

Im doing a 2:1, which, if you want the same amount of weekly calories as the 5:2, and assuming 2500 calories standard, allows 850 on fast days. (Add up 15:6 vs 14:7, and you’ll see.) Ive been stopping short of that, but nice to know a little extra is there.

I know my home scales weigh heavy, but I didnt know how much, so I went to my old gym yesterday. There, with clothes on, I weighed 251.5 in mid-afternoon. I went right home, and it was 255. 3.5 pounds difference. The clothes were four pounds, which meant an accurate weight of 247.5 And my doctor’s scales…. I weighed 259 there in the same four pounds of clothes. His staff acknowledges the scales are four pounds heavy, but 7.5??? They’re balance scales but on carpet. This morning I was 245.5.

That is a big difference. I’m only exposed to one scale at the moment, they’re electronic and seem very accurate. Sounds like you’re doing well in any case. Think of the health benefits! 1lb loss this week. Overindulging at the weekend is hampering efforts somewhat but starting running again next week so might see a slight increase in loss, fingers crossed. Enjoy your weekend David.

Thought I would check out this forum as the guys on 5:2 seem to be a minority…not very active

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply.