First week weigh in… not what I hoped for :(

This topic contains 35 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Katieking94 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

• Hi,

This past week was my first trying out the fast diet. It was tough the first day of fasting but the second was much easier. I’ve been eating healthily (watching my calories the rest of the week) and have weighed myself this morning and only lost 1/2 a pound! Anyone else had a disappointing outcome on their first week?
    I do have about 3.5-4 stone to lose so it’s not like I’m just trying to shift a small amount of weight here…

Hoping week two brings more success!

Hi coco and welcome:

What did you expect? The average weight loss for a woman on 5:2 is a little less than a pound a week. And some weeks you might even gain! It’s working, you lost weight. Just keep going! Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi,

I was hoping for something more along the lines of 1-2 pounds, seeing as it was the beginning of my journey. You tend to hear of people losing more early on. But yes, I loss is a loss I suppose!
    Thanks for sending that link over.. will have a read!

I’m on about week 3 now – I keep losing 2lb on the day I’ve chosen for my official weigh-day (Thursday which is the day after my 2nd fast day of the week) and then if I weigh myself on a Monday morning (ie today), I’m back to where I started again.

I suppose looking on the bright side I’m not putting anything on and I am eating what I like on the non-fast days so that’s good – but I guess that could also be the answer – instead of eating what I like on the non-fast days, perhaps I just need to calorie count a bit more and maybe try to stay off things like bread.

Keep going cocoabean – my friends at work who have been on this eating plan for a few years swear by it – they have told me to keep going. I think I need to try and give it at least a couple of months.

I’m also hoping that my measurements will go down even if the scales don’t move much – have you measured yourself? I would advise doing that ASAP and after a few weeks see how it is. I figure that I don’t really care what the scales are saying if the inches do go down.

Thanks for the encouragement Loops! Not gaining is definitely a positive.
    I did measure actually, last Tuesday so will measure myself again tomorrow. I’ve also used a machine at the gym that measures body vs muscle mass which will hopefully be a good way to assess how I’m doing.

On the plus side, today was my third day fasting and I found it much easier.. I’m kind of enjoying it actually. I love that ‘light’ feeling if you know what I mean. Don’t get me wrong, there are some serious hunger pangs but drinking lots of water helps. I’m not really getting headaches anymore as I was on the other two fasting days I’ve done too.

Definitely going to stick to it. Will posting how I’m doing πŸ™‚

Cocoa+loops,

On the assumption that your eating say about 2000 cal/day and that your eating 500 cals on your two fast days, then your 3000 cals down for the week. That equates to a loss of 0.7 pounds, plus a little bit of water, so about 1 pound per week. There is no magic involved.

The two fast days does not mean a free for all on the other five days. Although the longer you do 5:2 the less likely you will find yourself overeating on your non fast days.

Try and stay away from sugar (real hard to do) which means anything that comes in a processed box or 99% of soft drinks and also stay away from simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. Those foods are broken down into sugar almost immediately. To maintain a healthy blood glucose level all that excess sugar is stored as glycogen and once that is topped up the liver stores the rest as fat.

Hi bigbooty,

That’s exactly what I’ve done. I’ve limited my calorie intake on the non-fast days to around 1500-1600 calories, avoided sugar as much as poss and simple carbs, especially in the evenings.

I went to the gym this morning and used the fancy machine they have there. I’ve now lost 1kg and 1.1% of my body fat! I’m up 0.6% on muscle mass. This is hopefully a better indicator of how I’m doing than just stepping on the scales at home…

Good one Cocoa!!

Just make sure the routine you develop is sustainable. I do 6:1 maintenance which is a water fast as I think fasting has benefits other than weight loss. Make sure that when you hit your self imposed weight you maintain a variation of this diet. Treat it as a continuous journey.

Hi this is my 2nd fast day. It’s going really well so far. As I work full time I find it easier to have 3 small meals throughout the day. Now tomorrow will be the tricky one going back to eating normally!!! I need to lose about 3 stone in total. I am going on holiday in July so hope to lose a lot before then. Just not sure on how many Cals to have on my 5 days

thanks bigbooty – it makes sense – I think you’re doing the right thing Cocoa – and I’ve just realised that I am probably eating way too many cals on my non-fast days. People sometimes call them ‘feast days’ and I always think that’s the wrong way to think about them, but I might actually be subconsciously treating them like a feast day by eating too much.

Flora – I’d go with what bigbooty says and try to keep your cals under 2000. I think I’ve had over 1,000 already today and it’s only lunch-time!

Keep going everyone – we can do it πŸ™‚

Hi Loops+Flora+Cocoa,

Really try and make a big effort to reduce your sugar intake. If you have a big sweet tooth this may be a big deal. If you can get rid of foods with sugar in them it will make your fast days a lot easier. The longer you do 5:2 you’ll find that on your non fast days you will naturally start eating healthier. Well that was the case for me. Try and eat foods with a lot of bulk, things like salads + veggies with some protein and fat. Protein would be chicken or tuna. Fats for me is cheese, I love cheese. Or maybe a high fat low sugar greek yogurt. If you like yogurts stay away from the low fat (which means high sugar content) yogurts!! In fact as soon as you see any food advertised as low fat, run in the opposite direction as you know that it will be through the roof sugar content.

I lost 20 kg (44 pounds) in 12 months. I know weigh what I weighed when I was in my early 20s. Im 54. So this 5:2 diet works if you give it a genuine honest try.

Good luck!!

That’s awesome big booty, your results are so good! Great shout on the low fat stuff, will keep my eyes peeled. Veggies are definitely my friends in bulking out my meals! I just had some cod in parsley sauce (105 cals) and loads of veggies for dinner and I’m satisfied.

Flora53 – have you done 2 fasting days in a row then? Apparently that’s not recommended if so. But great news you’re doing well. I’ve got a simliar amount of weight to shift and I’d like to see the bulk of it go before summer too. We’ll be in it together!

Loops – totally agree with you on the ‘feast days’, I’m just trying eat really well on those too. Keeping my calories in take to about 1600.

I am starting to enjoy my fast days, I think it’s something to do with the level of control. If you’re able to eat, it would be too easy to let that one little sweet treat turn into lots of sweet treats!

That’s really impressive BB πŸ™‚

Weigh day today and I haven’t lost on the scales, however, I did measure myself and have lost 1 inch around my stomach – hooray!

Hi guys,

Try and go for a walk every day. I spend my lunch break at work going for a gentle walk. Go for a one hour walk every day and that alone will see you losing 15 pounds over the course of a year. As long as you don’t up the amount of calories.

That’s a great tip BB!
    Loops – an inch around your stomach is fab! I think having more than one way to measure your success is key, it’s easy to get disheartened if the scales don’t give you a number you hope for. Great going!

Really looking forward to my next weigh in on Tuesday. I’ve eaten well and worked out 4 times this week, fingers crossed!

So, week 2 weigh in:

I’ve lost a total of 2kgs/4 pounds approximately in my first two weeks! Very happy with that. I’ve also gained muscle and have lost a really encouraging amount of fat too – yay!

I’ve lost 3cm off my hips, 5cm off my waist and a cm off each thigh (again, this is a rough measurement. As much as I try, I don’t imagine I’m measuring on the exact same points as I was before. Except maybe on my waist).

Today was my first proper fast day in the office. I really thought I’d struggle as I’m better fasting on days that I’m more ‘out and about’. But, I went to the gym in the morning and surprising lasted well all day on just a yoghurt and water/tea. I’m feeling so positive knowing that I can get through a day in the office fasting, I was dreading that the most. I’m sure there will be days with more temptation (there’s always cake and sweet treats somewhere!), but it’s motivating to know it’s possible!

Hope everyone’s week is going well so far!

That’s really good cocoa – nice going πŸ™‚

I’m still staying the same but I know I have been over my 500 cals on fast days this week (not by too much, but I know it was over). It has been a bit of a funny week. I will make sure I’m more prepared next week.

Hello Cocoabean, BB, Loops and Flora53,
    I weighed in at 123.9kgs on 26th April. I’ve vacillated between going 5:2 and Alternate FD. I’m down to 120.3, after hitting 119.9 after my fast day on Tuesday but rebounded after the next day, by .4 kgs. Not game to use the measuring tape yet. Goal is about 70kgs, but if I can get under 100 it will be a huge victory. I no longer work as I gave it away 2years and 4 months ago to become a carer for my mother-in-law who has dementia. Have been sitting on my derrier for a lot of that time, so now needing to become very enthusiastic about this new lifestyle and get real when it comes to exercise. You must be feeling fantastic about yourself, Cocoabean, as you were disappointed with initial loss. It is taking off, literally! Well done.
    Keep up the good work Loops.
    Have you worked out your TDEE, Flora53? That helps give an idea about how much to eat on the NFDs. Still trying to come to grips with all of that.
    I agree Bigbooty with the need to look for hidden sugar. My sister gave me one of those tubes of coffee plus powdered milk that is supposed to be a cappuccino. The packet was 15gms, 8 grams carbs, of which 5.5gms were sugar. I declined. It pays to read the small print on the ingredients and the analysis of what is in packets of everything. Fresh is best, I think.
    It’s very nice to have met you folk and look forward to following your progress and use it as inspiration for my own journey. Good luck. x

Hi Fuvvie,

That’s not a rebound, that slight weight increase is normal. Not to put too delicate a point on it, the food you eat takes a while to head down south and out.

Yep you have to start reading food labels very closely. I was about to buy some balsamic vinegar, 55% sugar!!!! CRAZY. Bought some apple cider vinegar, less than 1% and the taste is just as nice.

High BigBooty. Have you tried my cider vinegar drink yet? Tbsp CV, a squeeze of lemon plus slice, couple of slices of cucumber and fill up with iced water, fizzy if poss. A couple of chopped strawberries and some mint leaves are good too. The lemon takes away the acid bite of vinegar. It seems to reduce hunger pangs, so nice on a fast day.

Yes, hidden sugars are such a pain.

I’ve just waved goodbye to two lots of guests and sighed to see two pounds back on the scale. Well, wine, biscuits, potato, toast and chocolate, what did I expect? So FD today and 4:3 next week. It must go!

Just been rooting out dandelions in my raspberry patch, a good job for FD as I didn’t want to stop till the last was out. Not eaten yet today, though had an instant miso soup at lunch, only 29 cal. Ostrich steak and veg tonight!

Just weighed in after FD yesterday. 119.6kgs. Fantastic. Thanks for your comments Bigbooty. It’s very reaffirming to see the positive come up on the screen. Must try Apricot’s apple cider vinegar drink. Sounds interesting.
    99.9kgs, here I come!

That’s awesome Fuvvie!! Keep going πŸ™‚

Week 3 weigh in:
    I didn’t lose much over the last week – 0.4kg. But at least it’s still a loss! I also only had one fast day last week due to poor planning and a very social-heavy schedule. But I’m now down 5.1kg in fat and up 2.6kg in muscle, so the gym is paying off!

I’ve already completed my two fast days for the week. I’m going to see how I go but may do another one at the weekend, or at least cut down my usual 1500/1600 calorie intake further.

Will have to try cider vinegar drinks! I’m really liking sparkling water right now!

A big thumbs up Fuvvie. I usually vary by about 1 kg over the week. The tell tail weight is my weight in on Tuesday mornings the day after my maintenance day fast. If its 71.”something” kg all well and good. If its 72. “something” I know I have to be mindful and slip in an extra fast day which Ive only had to do once since staring maintenance in Feb.

Apricot,
    I love apple cider vinegar. Have it all the time, straight off the spoon sometimes. Im sure it would be a bit too strong for some like that but it must be my Italian heritage, have always like vinegar. Will give you drink a try. Sound better than all those crappy sugar things the multinational food companies try and force onto us.

Good going everyone – For the first time this week I have lost a good few lbs – down 4lb now from where I started. I have been more careful on the calories on the normal days this week and it has made a difference (not been eating bread either).

I think I’ll have a try at the ACV too – I’m always reading good things about it.

Hi all, Thanks for your positive comments. Still not really into the activity yet. Will do a 3km walk tomorrow with a friend while Grandma has her physio session. I have a shed full of weights and rowing machine, but haven’t tracked down to it. I am putting it out there that I will spend some time down there exercising tomorrow. You have my permission to check up on me. That should help keep me honest.
    Had a lovely time reading Buttonboots thread. Very inspiring lady. Thank you for being there. Warm regards, Fuvvie

Week 4 weigh in (this was on Tuesday 17/05):

I lost 0.7kg this week, so a bit better! I’m 6 pounds down in total.

I’m really pleased with my progress so far. I’m still going to the gym and have limited calories to roughly 1500/1600 per day. But I’m not denying myself completely. I had an awesome roast on Sunday, complete with a brownie for dessert. Naughty I know, but I’m compensating more than I have before for these treats and watching my diet so I cut back more to make up for it.

This week is a struggle so far. I had my fast day on Tuesday and am not sure when I’ll be able to fit in my other one. Saturday is looking like my only option and I do struggle much more fasting at the weekends.

Well done everyone else on their progress! Tuesdays (my weigh in days) are quickly becoming my favourite day of the week because I can’t wait to (HOPEFULLY!) see results.

x

Week 5 weigh in 24/05/16:

Lost 1kg this week and am feeling awesome! So I’m down 8 pounds in total.

So happy with this, I’m still not seeing great progress (if any!) through measuring in the last 2/3 weeks, so this has been a real boost. I had a very naughty day on Friday but managed to make up for it with the gym 3 times this week.

I’m so motivated. Still happy with any loss each week, but 1kg has been amazing to see. X

Well done Cocoabean. Fantastic weight loss. Didn’t see any measurements decrease to start with but now have lost 5cm around my waist. So hang in there. I didn’t measure for weeks as advised by Amazon. Can’t afford to have things put one off in the early stagesπŸ˜„

Thanks Fuvvie! My measurements are a little up and down, but I’m not reading into it too much because I can’t know for sure that I’m measuring in the exact same place as I was before. But they are generally going down which is great! Got my week 6 and 7 weigh ins below:

Week 6 31/05/2016
    I had a naughty week this time (bank holidays do that to me!) and gained 0.8lb. Could have been a lot worse. So was motivated to work that bit harder the next week…

Week 7 07/06/2016
    Was so happy with this one, I was down 2.5lb! So I’m down 9.7lb overall (4.4kg). Super happy with this. Hoping to see more weeks with this level of weight loss but won’t get my hopes up for it as I’m losing at a good, steady pace and am trying to remember that it is a good thing to do it gradually!

Have been to the gym 5 times this week and have upped the cardio even further. Have done one fast day and am going to struggle to fit in another this week. But hopefully I’ve eaten well enough and trained hard enough to make up for it.

Hoping to be down one full stone by the end of the month!

Hi Cocoabean, My neck is taking on a turkey gobbler look so measured it and it’s down to 38.2cm. Hate the look but love the implications. Remained at 113.3kgs after NFD so have to be pleased with that . FD today. Have some bone broth in the fridge which will be dinner tonight. Good for you with all your gym work. I just haven’t got into the swing of exercise at all. Think I will get into a bit of gardening today and see what I can achieve. The once upon a time herb garden is overgrown with lemon grass and a Rosemary bush plus nasty vines and grass and weeds. Wish me luck. And congratulations on dispensing with those4.4kgs. It’s a tonic to see the scales reading lower when you’ve worked so hard at it.

Apricot, I have finally got around to your drink of ACV, lemon, cucumber slices and fizzy water and it is now my new favourite drink. It would fool a lot of people at a party as it looks exoticπŸΈπŸ€—

Thanks Fuvvie! It really is great when you work this hard and then see the results.

Had another weigh in today:

Week 8 14/06/2016
    Down a further 1.5 pounds this week, so am down 5.2kg/11.5 pounds overall – yay!

There definitely would have been a time when the thought of trying hard for 8 weeks what has essentially worked out to just over a pound a week would have really demotivated me. But I’m much more realistic this time around on what results I can expect (without making my diet so extreme that it’s not enjoyable/socialable). With that in mind, I’m hoping to be down a full stone by the end of the month. I’ll still have 2.5/3 more stone to lose after that, but it will be a real milestone for me!

Another check in >>

Week 10 28/06/2016
    Down 2 more pounds since week 8, split pretty evenly over week 9 and 10. So am 6kg/13.2lbs down currently. Slowed down slightly but really happy with this.
    Hoping the full stone will be off come next weigh day! Definitely need to crank things up a notch, have been a little lax and only really 1 fast day for the last 3 weeks now. Still not quite managed it this week but have been tougher on my diet in general in hopes of balancing it out a little. Still struggling to get two weekdays as my fast days with work (weekends are too much of a struggle to do them).

Am going to try my hardest to really work hard in July and hopefully get myself to 20 pounds down by the end of the month. Would need to average 1.5 pounds a week weight loss to get there, so not totally unrealistic but I’d need to work harder than I am now to get there.

You are doing so well Cocoabean. Your mind frame seems to be in the right place to meet your goals. There are so many inspiring people on this forum like Buttonboots who demonstrate that tenacity brings results. Good to see that your progressing well.

Way to go CB!! Slow and steady wins the race. I only averaged 0.7 pounds/week. I think if it comes off slowly and steady youre more likely to keep it off. It gives you the chance to change your eating habits and make sure that it just becomes natural to you rather than it feeling like a diet.

Do you feel like your eating habits have changed at all? I know that I really don’t go looking for sweets any more. Maybe once in a while I’ll have treat but by the end of it Im saying to myself, well that was an anticlimax.

I had a good first week on 5:2, but will never, ever forget the horror of my first week on slimming world! did the programme to an absolute t, even though I went to a gig that weekend and all my friends were eating pizza and chips around me – I sat there with my hifi bars and fruit salad feeling very left out! Was absolutely devastated when I didn’t lose a single thing in my first week, especially because I went with my mum who lose 3.5 pounds and my colleague at work told me she’d lost 5 in her first week. Don’t be too disheartened, I had 4 solid weeks of 2.5 pound weight losses after that!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply.