First Day!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Mywordz 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Hi everybody. I am starting my first fast day today. I am very hopeful about this way of eating. I have realized in the past that I’m not hungry in the morning until I eat something and then it seems to just open the day to hunger and snacking. I get up early – usually around 5am. My plan is to eat something around 11 am and then later in the afternoon/early evening. I am a vegetarian and I am not that into food so I am going to have some egg whites and black beans on my fasting days.
    I am looking forward to losing weight and gaining my health back in 2017.

Hope your first day went well.
    Some people find it easier to not eat at all – sounds difficult but hunger tends to come in waves and letting them pass is sometimes easier than eating and trying to stop. Good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement. I can see how that might work well. I actually had very little trouble making it through the day. No negative physical feelings, no trouble sleeping and I woke up feeling great. It did help me realize how much of a habit my eating can be; grabbing a quick snack after coming through the front door for example. Or taking a taste of something. I told my husband he was on his own for dinner Monday and Thursday so I don’t have to make any food. I’m excited about this working for me.

Hi, I’m starting next week. Did this last year and it was working well….life just took over. It seems to work for me better than anything else. Are you in UK. Just looking for someone to buddy up with really….might make it easier and give us a bit of momentum………. I’m gonna need some support as I’m really good at starting regimes, just not particular good at sticking to things long term x

Hello!

I started 5:2 last week and after 3 fasts have lost 4lb so am feeling very pleased! I found the first and 3rd fasts relatively easy but for some reason the second was hell, but I got through it!

I’m developing a routine of drinking hot water until lunchtime, then having a small bowl of porridge (about 30gm dry weight) with a splash of skimmed milk; no sugar needed, as my Scottish granny always made porridge with salt. For dinner, I have a tiny portion of chicken breast plus a few green vegetables. One reason I got fat in the first place is that I am a stress and anxiety eater (I’ a full-time carer for my severely disabled husband) and the worst time is the evening. I was afraid I wouldn’t cope so I save about 100 calories to have an evening snack – a rice cake with a teaspoon of peanut butter and a low calorie hot chocolate drink (about 90 calories total.) This eating plan seems to be a successful strategy and it’s quite well-balanced – there’s protein, complex carbs, some good fat and some vitamins. No constipation – I think the porridge helps.

The only negative has been feeling cold on fast days! Woke up freezing at 2 am one morning and donned ancient sweater and husband’s rugby socks from his pre-wheelchair days.

One thing that has helped me is a hypnotherapy tape that helps stress eaters change their habits. It really does seem to re-inforce will power. I’ve been really encouraged by all the success stories here and hope to post my own good news as I progress with the eating plan.

Patiger – great to hear your day went well. I love egg whites and black beans, thanks for the reminder; no kidding about the habit of grabbing a snack or just a taste. Hard habit to break but with big results after a few weeks. Look forward to hearing how things go for you this first week.

Hi Patiger
    I think you’re in the right place here. I too am vegetarian, there are quite a few of us here. Like Sunray I start the day with porridge, well I have breakfast at 12 o’clock, mid-day. I do it like this on no-fast days-
    ½ cup porridge 150 cal ½ Tbsp almonds = 30 cal, flax seed 20 cal, 6 half walnuts 80 cal, ¼ cup full fat milk 36 cal, 50 cal fruit TOTAL 366 cals
    But on fast days I eat the same quantity of porridge made with water, stevia and adding 1/4 cup milk and 100g strawberries or other fruit.
    I follow Michael’s suggestion of restricting food intake to a period of 8 hours in the day. Drinks of coffee and water help get me through till noon.
    Keeping busy helps to stop me thinking of food too much.
    Good luck.
    Mark

Hi All – Thanks for the encouragement. Things are going pretty well. Not a lot of weight loss – 2 lbs maybe. I haven’t taken measurements – that sounds scary! I will know when my clothes start to feel better. On FDs I am eating egg whites and black beans 2 times – breakfast (around 11am) and dinner around 6 or 7. 100 cal oatmeal in between if necessary. Then some yogurt at night. Good luck to us all!

Oh golly! Having made a great start, I am struggling. I lost 5 lb total, then gained three. I know why. I’m finding it increasingly hard to stick exactly to 500 calories and am sneaking an extra 50-100 or so. I can be disciplined during the day but come the evening and my tum is grumbling and all I can think about is food. The 100 calories I allow myself for a post dinner snack isn’t enough. I feel so weak and disgusted with myself. Night time grazing is the root of all my weight problem and I despise myself for my self-sabotage. Does anyone else find that self-discipline gets harder in the evening? And is there an answer?

Hi Sunray
    This works very well for me on Fast Days. All meals are 200 cals or less (men can have 600 cals):
    Eat nothing till 12 noon.
    12 noon: Breakfast
    4pm: Lunch
    7.30pm: Evening meal.
    Eat nothing after 8pm.
    Of course I drink quite a lot of no-calorie drinks, whenever I want them. No diet drinks (e.g. diet coke). Mostly REAL coffee either black or with a very small amount of milk. I also drink tea with lemon or a very small amount of milk. And I drink water.
    I find it much easier not to snack at all. Once the gastric juices get going you’re lost.
    Keep busy. Get a dog or borrow a dog and go for long walks. Keep interested in the things you like all day long. If hunger strikes, drink half a pint of water immediately. You’ll soon learn where all the toilets are in town, because water goes through you quite quickly!
    PS Real coffee is very satisfying and has no calories.

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your advice. I’l try it. I’m not a coffee drinker, but I’ll try that too – I want to be slim more than I dislike coffee!

I’ll try to avoid snacking too – hard for me as I am a nibbler and a grazer – but, no pain, no gain!

Freshly ground coffee has such a wonderful smell, Sunray. I can remember that from my childhood. At that time I didn’t drink coffee either. Lidl do a 100% Arabica coffee – easy to spot, it’s the most expensive of course. But what’s important too is that the hunger pangs just disappear for an hour after drinking it.

Thanks again for the heads up on coffee!

Hi sunray,
    Don’t be discouraged! I lost 5lbs in week 1 and put 4 back on the next week! But I think that was just my body adjusting to the diet. Look at this way – you lost 2lb!!
    I find that my weight does go up and down in the week depending on whether it’s a feast/fast day, so I’m only really paying attention to what I weigh on a Monday morning, and despite all the up/down during the week there is a slow and steady loss.
    Plus the fast days do get easier once you find your routine. I keep cadbury chocolate eclair sweets in the fridge and if I crave something sweet in the evening I suck one of those (they last ages) or make a hot drink.

Thanks for the encouragement Sashapet! You’re wise not to weigh too often. I’m going to try weighing less often – only on a Tuesday morning – I try to make my fast days Monday and Friday.

I do find Mark’s tip of drinking coffee helpful. I’m developing a taste for it having been a tea drinker all my life.

Hi @sunray,

I don’t know why I am late to discovering iced coffee, but I have recently started drinking it with a little milk, stevia to sweeten and lots of ice. It really helps me to stave off hunger and tastes good. It’s like a chocolate substitute for me and works better for me than drinking a hot cup of coffee. With the ice, it makes a very large cup.

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip, Tann!

Hi everyone, I’m another newbie to 5:2! First fast day today. I thought it was going pretty well while I was busy during the day, but as soon as I got home BAM I am so hungry! Can’t believe I only get 270 calories to play with this evening. Do the fast days get easier as you get used to it or do they always suck a little bit??

I find it varies from day to day. I’m doing fine today but other days, particularly in the evening, I feel as if I could eat a horse between two bread vans. Just remember the words of the Roman philosopher Marcus Aurelius: ‘This too will pass’. You can eat more tomorrow.That’s the beauty of 5:2 – you don’t see an endless avenue of deprivation stretching before you. Try some of the tips here too.Coffee is a great appetite suppressant. Good luck!

I also think it helps to stay strong when you see the diet working. You’ll see upthread that I lost 5lb and then gained 3. I persevered and have lost 2 of the three I gained.

I don’t have enough time to read through all of these posts. But when I do have a few minutes I love them and I love getting the tips and hearing about some successes. I have been doing 5:2 since the last week of February. It’s a slog for me. I want to lose 2 or 3 lbs a week but it is really more like 1 and that’s after going up and down during that week. But I have lost about 3 lbs and it’s better than going up 3 lbs. So I keep telling myself in 52 weeks if I’m down 52 lbs I will be ecstatic! As far as coffee I have always drink coffee black. My revelation has been black tea. It’s really good and helps me get through these FD’s.

Cheers everyone.

Hi Julia
    It DOES get easier. You learn strategies for ignoring the hunger. One of the best is to keep busy, keep your mind occupied with anything, especially things you like. Phone a friend, go for a walk, watch your favourite TV programmes, plan a holiday, learn a language. I have found it easier to avoid snacks entirely – they get the hunger juices going. Water is good.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.