FEBRUARY 2019 – SHORTEST MONTH CHALLENGE!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
FEBRUARY 2019 – SHORTEST MONTH CHALLENGE!

This topic contains 745 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 748 total)

• Post #3 – I am proud of my daughter, but mostly because the odds were against her and she worked really hard for it. She has been getting early and studying until bed time for many weeks. There were cram school classes and even tutoring. She practiced interview questions enough to drive us crazy. Even after the test last week she didn’t feel she did well enough and started working hard for the 2nd choice. The way she got in was actually more competitive because it was an early testing and more students try that so that they have a 2nd chance. However now she will be in a very serious high school and will have to really work.

In Japan high school isn’t required and almost every high school has some kind of entrance exam. (Except maybe for some pretty expensive private schools.) So there are typically about 3 chances to get in somewhere. If you don’t get in you don’t get a high school education. (There are private trade schools.) High schools are ranked by where students get accepted to college. Todai is the top university in Japan and the school she is in has the most students from a public school making in every year, typically around 50 students per year. Other schools and top international schools like Harvard or MIT also help school rankings. Her school is beat only by a few single gender private schools. Those schools mostly start from what is basically 7th grade. However she wasn’t ready for that then. She did try one easy school then and failed. I think that was a strong wake up call to her and she has steadily improved over the last three years.

Sorry so much … not about fasting!

I have fasted until supper but we are going to have a party supper for her. Tomorrow I’ll skip breakfast and we will go out for a nice brunch. Seems like most of our celebrations center around eating!

Day 1: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD
    Woke up to our first snow in these parts this morning. About 4 inches. Glad I’m not at work this week….ha…ha! Schools are all shut round here. We Brits are hopeless with snow, aren’t we? Not used to it, I suppose, but I wonder, should we make some effort?? Took the dog out and found children sledging on every slope, using all kinds of things, like dustbin lids etc!
    So, quick bit about me.
    Age 65, working at Royal Mail on deliveries in a small town about 12 miles away. Keeps me active, but I have quite a lot of arthritis and general wear and tear as I’ve been doing this job most of my adult life. I couldn’t work stuck indoors, ever!
    Married for 31 years, daughter, 26, who’s just emigrated to Melbourne, Australia. Hot, hot, hot! She loves it. Three year contract with a Dairy Research Centre near(ish)by.
    5:2: Lost 28 pounds (all) of my excess weight during 2016. Then fell off the wagon after maintaining awhile, and back where I started! But never give up. Have stayed with most of these challenges since the first by @coda in May 2016.

Day 1 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Hi everyone and big thanks again to @at for starting off February.

I began Dr M’s Blood Sugar Diet in July 2017 doing 2 FDs a week of 800 calories, eating Mediterranean style food (no processed carbs, healthy full fat foods, lots of veg) everyday with a TRE of 14:10. By May 2018 I had reached my goal having lost 30 lbs and since then I have maintained by continuing with 5:2. Having just read Dr M’s Fast 800 this is basically the eating plan I have enjoyed and succeeded with so I highly recommend it and wish success to those starting on the plan this month. Oh and for those of a certain age who think its hard to shift fat as we age…..when you find the right eating and movement plan for you it’s both easy and enjoyable…….I am 60 in a few days and I am at my lowest weight in adult memory and feel fitter than I did 20 years ago!

This will be a celebration month for me and as @dykask points out above celebrating so often involves food and drink, so staying within maintenance range is going to be a challenge this month……but I WILL do it!!

@dykask you must be so proud, give my congratulations to your daughter.

Keep on keeping on everyone, we’ re worth it 🙂

2nd Post

@missybear what an inspiring post! I’m hoping to get back into my happy healthy space that is around 126lbs. Fingers crossed. In my younger days my normal weight was 105 but allowing for age, menopause and face I’ll be happy to settle back to 126lbs. I’m nearly 20lbs down with another 20lbs to go.

@ciren2 I agree us brits are rubbish with snow. Although I don’t believe we get as much snow as we used to and things didn’t seem to come to a stop. I remember walking the couple of miles to school and back in 6 inch snow lol. They didn’t close schools in the 60s or 70s lol.

I’m just making a batch of red pepper, tomato and sweet potato soup. The veggies are in the oven roasting as I type. This batch will do us both for lunches/brunches for 3 days or will pop some in the freezer.

Peace & Love

Day 1 Belfast NFD (I love a fresh start)

It’s good to see so many familiar faces. This is really a big international family. A big welcome to anyone starting out (or re-starting their journey). This is the place to be for motivation and support.

A bit about me; I’m a 64yo retired primary school teacher who lives a busy life dog walking, doing Pilates, yoga, swimming, painting and volunteering. I have a BMI of 24 (I Iost 2stone) and was in maintenance, however I seem to be holding onto a couple of stubborn Christmas lbs, so that is a priority. Also, my waist is 33” which is half my height, but for my taste is too large in comparison to the rest of my body so while I don’t care really what the scales say, I should like to see the tape measure by kinder.
    So…

Goals:
    Dry till Fri and no sugar.
    Keep up the exercise
    Reduce and keep my weight within my acceptable range.

@dykask many congratulations to your lovely daughter and what a great moment for her proud parents.😀

Today I’m going to be better than I was yesterday.

Day 1 – USA – NFD

Hello, all. Haven’t posted since my trip out of state towards the end of the month, but all is well here, and even with only 3 FDs in January, I managed to dispatch 3.6 lbs. I can safely say that I am now officially in maintenance, so please color me green and thank you! My goal is to follow AT and SongBirdMe and a few others by keeping a wiggle room range of 145-150 as I tone those wobbly parts and continue my low-carb, healthy fat, moderate protein lifestyle. I will continue to pop in as much as I am able to see how all of you are doing. I will take the next 2 days which I have off to read and catch up on what I missed. Take care, everybody and welcome newbies!

Day 1 Ireland NFD

I am a stay at home mum who finds it hard to stop snacking!!

I have lost some weight previously on 5:2, but since last summer I have struggled to stick to it longer term.
    Currently weigh 10 stones 2 and feel happier around 9.5 so that is my overall goal to get back to that.

Hoping to fast Mondays and Thursdays, usually just drink lots of hot drinks to get through FDs.

Day 1 – UK – FD

After that fabulous 10 course taster menu last night – I definitely need to start this challenge with a FD – it was absolutely scrumptious and the accompanying wines were not too bad either 😉

Went for a lovely wander this morning with my walking group – blue skies, sunshine but temperatures only around 1 degree but such a beautiful day 🌤❄️ Enjoyed a lovely chat afterwards sharing a pot of tea – a large group of walkers/runners today just over 20 of us 🏃‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Welcome to the FEBRUARY 2019 – SHORTEST MONTH CHALLENGE! @chipmunk13 @northerndawn @daffodil2010 @jaifaim @metatauta

Lovely to hear everyone’s stories and thank you all for sharing 🤗

@dykask – welcome and great news regarding your daughter – a definite proud dad moment and of course to be celebrated – enjoy
    @songbirdme – you have been there right from the beginning – now that is something special!!! So lovely to have you with us for the February challenge – I hope that @coda pops in to say hello sometime during this challenge and that all is well
    @elektron – I have no doubt that you will hit your February target xx
    @mogaman – welcome and I see someone has shown you the link for the spreadsheet and you are definitely on there 🤗
    @gretta – the honeymoon at last – skiing in Japan starting from 14/2 – how romantic and to be enjoyed with no guilt 💑
    @diggly – great to see you conquered the spreadsheet 👍 you are so lucky that you have your OH joining you on this journey – it should help a lot – I’m with you with the wine and have also reduced to drinking on 3/4 nights a week aiming for 3 mostly!!!!
    @snowflake56 – thank you for sharing the list of abbreviations @rainbowsmile made – it will be so helpful for our newbies xx
    @metatauta – I am so happy to welcome you to the maintenance group and you have been duly highlighted in green on the spreadsheet – lovely to have you with us once more xx
    @rainbowsmile – where are you dear friend – we have been missing you – I do hope all is we’ll and we shall be hearing from you soon 🤗

I’ll share my story a bit later today for those new to the challenges – I need to go have a shower as I need to be off for a facial soon – my 6 weekly treat!

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.” Robert Collier

Day 1 USA (Illinois) – NFD

Greetings to all of you on this journey! It’s wonderful to begin another month with @at – marvelous group here. This is such a supportive community.

I’m a 70 year-young active retired school music teacher. I began 5:2 in March 2016, joined @coda in May on her first challenge, and I’ve made every one since then. I lost 35 pounds by the end of 2016 and have been on maintenance since then. I credit this group (and my stubborn self) for that. Content to be at 160 pounds (72.5 kg) so no more wrinkles rear their ugly heads. That’s my maintenance, +/- 3 pounds.

I spend my retirement in lots of activities: direct a townspeople choir, church musician, private piano lessons, children’s museum organizer, travel to family (4 grown children, 5 granddaughters).

I look forward to getting to know the newbies and keeping up with us “oldies” on this board.

Onward and downward.

Day 1 UK FD

Hello again to old friends, warmest of welcomes to newb ones.

I’m 54 and put on weight in 3 stages -long-term illness restricting mobility, stopping smoking and the metabolic changes of menopause. By late 2017 I noticed my weight was going steadily up each month. I felt as though there was a fat suit between me and the world, and between me and Me.

I joined the December 2017 challenge weighing 178lb/81kg BMI 29. Over the last year I’ve lost 35lbs/17kg – tho still have a couple of pounds left from winter weight gain. I’ve spent almost 6 months on the 143-146lb plateau, tantalisingly close to my original goal of 140lb. But I’ve enjoyed noticing all the non-scale benefits of fasting – restorative sleep, increased energy, clarity of thought & far greater self-confidence. A

It’s’s fair to say that for me this journey has not just been about weight, but also health, wellbeing and purpose. This year I hope to reach maintenance & am going to focus on balance. Both literally, through building and strengthening muscle, and metaphorically as I aim to spend capacity resting, reading and writing, and will structure that into my day/week/month/year.

This month is a particularly heavy one with interesting but taxing projects, and I need to give myself the best possible framework for good health & energy. I’d like to reverse winter gains beginning with a solid 5:2 and planning ahead so I’ve got easy healthy food for FD & non-FD. I’m setting myself an earlier bedtime to enable a solid morning routine of gentle adapted yoga,meditation and writing.

Here’s to letting go of judgement and expectation, and to beginning with intention and action. However we got here we can only start where we are, use what we have and do what we can. And we are stronger together x

USA Day 1 FD (800 cals.; 16:8)

Just dropping in to add myself to the pocket list:

@snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @ccco

Congratulations, dykask! What a wonderful achievement for her! Hope you all have a lovely celebratory dinner!

Day 1, Rocky Mountains, US, Fast 800

Hello old friends and newbies 😊😊😊

I started 5:2 and IF exactly 2 years ago with @at as host and wonderful leader.Thanks for setting up February 2019. 💐
    Got rid of 20 pounds and went into maintenance about September 2017. Staying in maintenance (allowance of 5 pounds wiggle room) with the help of this excellent and supporting forum and am only absent when I travel. Doing at least 16:8 every day, lately more 20:4 and follow a Mediterranean diet. Working on slaying the sugar dragon 🐉 and will continue with dry February.
    I am going to celebrate my big 60 as well this year @missybear and I like to start this new decade of life healthy and fit.
    My plan is to follow MM’s Fast 800 for a bit to reach to low end of maintenance weight.
    I walk at least 10.000 steps a day, walking and hiking is my way of keeping fit and also do Tai Chi and Qigong.

Off walking my old puppy 🐕, then meeting DH for coffee ☕ and going to the Symphony tonight. 😊🎼🎵🎶🎻🎺😊

Will have a big salad (greens, avocado, eggs, tomatoes, shredded mozzarella with an olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing) and nuts for food.

Have a good Friday everyone! 😊⚘😊⚘😊

Day 1 – NC, USA – NFD

Hello everyone! And welcome to all the new challengers!

I love a new start! Thank you @at for taking such good care of all of us and for taking on the February challenge. These forums and spreadsheet are so instrumental in keeping up the motivation, I just love them (even if I fall off the face of the internet earth from time to time)

I’m a 51 yr old web designer/marketing person and a mother of 2 (although 1 is fully grown and off on his own). I started this WOL last March because my brother who is a surgeon mentioned he felt this was legitimately healthy both from a weight loss perspective but also from a long term health perspective. Being the nerd that I am, I love to research articles/interviews about fasting from the medical community and have come to believe giving my body a break regularly is beneficial regardless of what the scale says. Thankfully, the scale also moved in the right direction and I have lost 20 lbs since I started.

I’m now 5 lbs from maintenance and going down painfully slow with 3 lbs up and down swings between FDs and NFDs. It messes with my head so much to be honest that I have had to install an app on my phone to help me see the forest for the trees and smooth out these wild swings (Happy Scale). It smoothes out the ups and down to give me my weighted moving average so I can stay positive and stop getting hung up on the high rebounds after I start eating again. My goal for February is to keep moving downward on my “high days” and end up 1 lbs lighter in my weighted moving average at the end of the month.

On NFDs I mostly follow a mediterranean diet of lots of veggies, healthy fats, moderate protein and I stay at my TDEE of 1400 cals. (I tried not counting calories but it’s too easy for me to overeat if I don’t keep track of everything that goes in my mouth). My plan this month is to keep on pluggin along no matter how slow the progress.

Looking forward to a great month!

Oh my, what an interesting range of posts this morning! @debster251 I used to be a primary school teacher…I still do the odd day of supply to help out the village school. I miss the staff and children but not the all encompassing work load! I am super impressed by your weight loss and determination to maintain. I hope I’ll be like you in a few (?) months. I was horrified to see that my waist (through the tummy button) was bigger than my bust… that is a priority for mr too. @judyjudes love the sound of your soup. I might give it a go. Last week it was chicken and leek for us. I used stock and coconut milk for the base. That was very successful. @missybear congratulations on your impending birthday. I truly believe that celebrations should involve food and drink. It’s what brings us all together. This WOL allows us to indulge every now and then. That’s why it’s worth persevering. Good for you weighing so little now. I’m just the opposite but that’s why I want to meet this challenge face on. I will watch closely to be inspired by you. I’m originally from South Wales and love that part of the world. Was Hi @ciren2 you must really miss your daughter. It’s a long long way away. It must be lovely to see the children spread their wings but difficult at the same time. @dykask how proud you must be and rightly so. Your daughter sounds like she has worked her socks off. So refreshing to hear of a youngster who knows where they want to be and prepared to work for it. Sadly we don’t see that frame of mind often enough. Good luck with February everyone

2nd post

Finally caught up with all the posts.

Love reading all the inspiring success stories on this board! Think about how much weight we have lost collectively over the past couple of years… it’s phenomenal!

@snowflake56 Thank you so much for the refresher on all the abbreviations 🙂

Love your success story @judyjudes and your resolve yesterday! I would love to hear what you find out about leptin and gherlin. I never wake up hungry either which has made we wonder if I should try a longer fast like 48 or 72 hours just to see if I can.

Enjoy your trip to France @jaifaim! Going home for me is usually 5lbs of pure bliss, and I can’t bring myself to regret a single morsel :p Thank goodness this WOL is a long term thing and I can jump right back on the wagon after a holiday!!!

@dykask Congratulations to your daughter! So much to be proud of! Her determination and hard work is truly wonderful.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

Day 1 North Canton OH NFD

I love day 1 of the challenges!!

Here we go! Thank you @at for taking on hosting duties 2 months in a row
    @dykask we join you in celebrating the awesome achievements of your amazing daughter. I have often said that our successes are so much more fulfilling when our kids are doing well. Kudos to her for and high five to you and your wife for a job well done.

A little about me, I turned 44 this year and I have two college bound teenagers and an unruly but lovable husband. I started IF two Februaries ago. I was 18 pounds above my comfort zone and no matter what I did I could not get rid of it. I was beginning to despair and then I stumbled on the fast diet website. It looked doable and I signed up mentally for it on the second week of February. I started seeing results immediately and since I am such a go-getter LOL, I switched it up to 4:3 very quickly. I reached and surpassed my goal 4 short months later and I have been following this WOL ever since. I have tried different variations of IF and this month I would like to try a combination of Fast 800 with TRE (20:4 5 days a week and 16:8 2 days a week) on a low carb Mediterranean diet

While I have had 3 – 5 pound weight fluctuations since I reached maintenance I have never gained so much weight that I could not fit in my clothes and I am currently a size 6; also my tummy has stayed flat which makes me super happy. I credit my flat tummy to a TRE way of life. I typically do not eat breakfast, on weekdays; just supper. Pancakes and scones are a favorite and I try to have that at least once every two weeks, even though it makes me feel terrible and gives me a headache the day after.

This WOL is the best, there are so many variations and everyone can find a format that works for them. I have been inspired by so many on this forum. @at is amazing, her posts are so vibrant and full of wisdom, @flourbaby is hilarious, and @dykask is just awe-inspiring. Too many champions to mention and the best part is how supportive we are of each other. I hope to do better with logging on every day and sharing my experiences, I have learned from others journeys and I feel compelled to do the same.

Keep on engaging, we are worth the fight; my best to you all.

Day 1 FD syracuse USA

Continuing on an 800cal fast day. Just going to keep plugging along here. I’ve noticed my mood has been great though and I’ve been sleeping much better. Better than I have in a long time. I reached My January goal this morning so I’m counting it. Think I’d like to lose 5lbs in February too.

Day 1 – Eastern WA USA – FD

Pocket list Day 1, if you want to join us, please copy and paste the list and add your name to it.
    @snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn

Thanks for the warm welcome @at.

My top weight was 245 a few years ago. I’m now 68 and hopeful because this fasting journey really has so many benefits one of which is weightloss. I believe I joined these challenges in November of 2016 after doing a month on my own. It’s so much better with support. The first part of the journey weightloss went fairly quickly on the basic 5:2 but then slowed. I’ve had several plateaus but it seems I’m inching down. I think my most exciting NSV last month was losing an inch off my waist for a total of 8.5 inches so far. So I’m beginning this month at 37 1/2 inches.
    I finished my full time teaching career 2017-18. In the fall I worked part time at a local university as a field supervisor. They didn’t have work for me this 1/4 so am exploring other things. One thing is line-dancing. Had my first lesson and looking forward to the next in a few days.
    I’m planning on beginning a 30 day Keto challenge but with @at‘s encouragement will still plan on being part of this forum – such a supportive place! 🙂
    Joining the fasters today and making it a water fast day – will plan only water, black coffee and herbal teas.

@dykask – congratulations on your daughter being accepted in a top school! Enjoy the celebrating!

@jaifaim – enjoy your weekend in France.

@snowflake56 and @borealis – what a great duo for April! You’re giving yourself a challenge in English; I’m impressed and encouraged. I’ve got to up my game in Spanish, for example. The more we use the languages, the stronger we get.

Glad we’re on the journey together!

2nd post

@basyjames I’m missing the hilarious posts from @flourbaby – so flourbaby if you’re reading but not posting hope you are well…..come back to us soon 🤗

USA Day 1 FD (800 cals; 16:8)

I would appear that my name disappeared from the pocket list, so I am adding it again!

@snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn
    @ccco

Hope everyone is doing well!

2nd post –

Pocket list Day 1, if you want to join us, please copy and paste the list and add your name to it.
    @snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn – 42 hour
    @lorky35

I posted w/o seeing your post @lorky35 so added you to the list.

@basyjames – I enjoy scones and pancakes too. Have you tried scones or pancakes that use almond and/or coconut flour? I’ve come across some recipes that are pretty tasty. In fact your post makes me want to look up the scone one I like to break my fast tomorrow noonish.

@snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn – 42 hour
    @lorky35
    @ccco

Day 2, Wellington NZ, FD800

Good morning everyone – have enjoyed reading all the wonderful inspiring stories this morning – then realised I hadn’t written about me. Here’s a short version.

I’m a 62 year old retired woman who, like many others, has tried every diet known to humanity. I seem to have been on a diet since I was about 16, and looking back, at that age unnecessarily so. I am 170 cms, 5’7” and started 5:2 maybe 3 years at the weight I am now 77kg, (though my weird scales made me gain 3 kg overnight – I’m ignoring them and buying new ones today!) wanting to get to 68kg. I’ve actually revised by target to a maintenance range of 70 – 72kg.

I was an early contributor to these challenge forums when @coda began them, and even hosted a month or two. This forum is, I believe, the secret to success. I lost my weight but when I stopped posting and reading and keeping in touch, the weight crept back with more to a top of 81.7kg when I joined all you lovely people again last month.

So inspiring ones, let’s keep sharing and encouraging each other – look at @dykask‘s daughter – for a great model of if you work hard you get success.

Pocket list
    @snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn – 42 hour
    @lorky35
    @ccco
    @chipmunk13 800 cal

Day 1, Gozo, Malta, cfd

Hi @at thanks for hosting the February challenge, please count me in.

I did a cfd unintentionally.

Keep up the good work.

Quick question: What is TRE?

@ciren2 – TRe is time restricted eating like 18:6 or 16:8; hours fasting then hours feasting.

@anna6 — looks like I am also doing a CFD today cuz I got too busy to eat!

2nd Post

Well I had better share a bit about me for those new to these challenges
    I am a 60 y.o. female, married, with a grown up daughter. Height = 163cm/5ft 4in and I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 – joined the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and then reached maintenance in early December 2016 and have been in maintenance range of 53-55kg/116.8-121.2lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then!
    I love a range of exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered about 3 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do pilates, aerobics and hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and also do some volunteering in my local community

Health improvement markers since starting this WOL:-
    1. Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs
    2. Full of energy!
    3. Mental health changes = sleeping well, waking up feeling good in myself and happy with my life☺
    4. My Asthma is controlled to the extent that I no longer use any inhalers either treatment or preventative!
    5. My blood cholesterol has improved so much that currently it is just above normal range (will be checked in the next month)

Best advice I can give to anyone new to this WOL/WOE is to:-
    *Stick to the basic plan for the first couple of months – it works!!
    *On NFD eat to the TDEE for the weight you want to be and not your current weight and you will lose weight faster!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!
    *Don’t add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Try to drink at least 2L of water daily

@basyjames – lovely to have you with us for this challenge – I have highlighted you in green on the spreadsheet as one of the group in maintenance. I’m like you I never eat breakfast but break my fast late morning or early afternoon on NFD and on FD I eat OMAD in the evening
    @lorky35 – welcome to the February challenge – I have no doubt that you can achieve that February target
    @annemarilyn – you are very welcomed – looking forward to supporting you with your Keto challenge xx
    @chipmunk13 – love seeing your post for my tomorrow as I end Day 1 here – I totally agree with your statement “This forum is, I believe, the secret to success.” it’s what has kept me in maintenance since December 2016!!
    @anna6 – it would not be same without you on board – I love hearing about your cooking and how caring you are for your family xx

Adding myself to the Pocket list – I have added everyone from the spreadsheet who have stated an intention to fast today as TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
    @snowflake56
    @elektron 800 cal
    @dingping
    @annemarilyn – 42 hour
    @lorky35
    @ccco 800cals
    @chipmunk13 800 cal
    @ab-805
    @judyjudes 800cals
    @borealis
    @betsylee 800cals
    @at

Have a good weekend everyone wherever you are in the world and whatever you are doing – ENJOY LIFE AND MAKE THE MOST OF EACH DAY AS THIS IS NOT A REHEARSAL……..“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow” Albert Einstein

Day 1, London, UK, FD

Wow, I thought I was squeaking under the Day 1 wire here ………………………… clearly not in your case @chipmunk13!!!!

Well, I’m still here, just about!!! I went AWOL for the latter part of January, I was searching for my mojo!!! Although still reading posts, I really didn’t think I had much to offer!! Sorry @at I dropped the ‘sharing experience’ ball!!! @basyjames & @missybear, the doom & gloom nature of my thoughts towards the end of January prevented me from posting (stupid really, ‘cause that was when I really needed the support, Doh!!) ………………………… can you imagine!!!!!!!

I became a little despondent with the lack of progress considering the fasting was going well, January was Dry and I even threw a WFD in for good luck………………………. Alas, the expected loss didn’t happen and in fact, I started to regain the Xmas ‘timber’ I lost in the 1st week of the challenge!!!!

Anyway, I’m here, I’m in & I’m planning to follow the Fast800 for a good couple of weeks, since the NFDs have been proving soooooo difficult to do mindfully.

I’ve planned a couple of ‘days off’ as my B’day dinner will be on 22nd and I’ll probably celebrate on the day (24th) with a couple of drinks with the family. Other than that, I’m going to shake things up with the 800cal days.

Welcome newbies, you’ll find ALL of the answers here!!!! @at thank-you for Januarys’ hosting which you’re spectacularly continuing throughout February!!!!!

A little about myself, for the newbies, mid 40’s civil engineer (Although now I work a part time 3-day week as a planner), been 5:2-ing since Nov ’16, eradicated 35lbs of fat (we won’t mention that that number was 41lbs at one point!!!), I have an obsession, addiction, love, lust, whatever, for ANYTHING made from flour …………………………bread, cake, steamed puddings, biscuits, cake, crackers, pasta, dumplings, cake, cake, cake, etc!!! Of course the accompanying butter, cheese, custard, cream or sauces are just bonuses and the red wine addiction is another story for another day!!!! So today, 35lbs & 3 (3 ½ if I breath in) dress sizes down, sleeping better, eating better, feeling less anxious, less stressed, excited about exercise (!!) and being pro-active about my future health …………… what’s not to love about this WOL????

Keep the faith people, there really isn’t any other option, I know, I tried them all & got fatter!!!!!!

“Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope & confidence.” – Helen Keller

D1 Central Coast USA. NFD turned into FD

Oh this is really great to hear from all of you and particularly for those who have been on this a long time. It gets me off my back!
    Today was to be a NFD however my stomach is not letting up and by 9 am I had such awful indigestion that I ate a small breakfast and then Thai soup for lunch, followed by two rice crackers with Avocado this evening, so I’m still trying to keep the food in line, but will go to the doctors on Monday to sort this issue and tell her what Im up to, meanwhile Ill head for 2-3 small meals.
    I love this diet and the simplicity of it so I know that Ill stick to it,

The BIG rains are coming in tonight so dark skies, high winds, wonderful stuff actually.

Im wondering if you all can tell me what the Pocket list is, what it means etc? I don’t understand that one and Im getting caught up on the other acronyms slowly.
    Thanks for all the help whether you know your giving it or not
    Hugs from a rain soaked desert

Day 1 Ohio, US — MFD(#10)

A good MFD. Got my a good yoga practice in before going to work, even though I had to leave for work early. We got four inches of snow overnight and nothing was ploughed when I had to drive to work. The temperature was a warm -5 F (-20 C) and fortunately snow is easier to drive on than is ice. The going was slow but sure.

@ab 805 Back at the beginning of the November challenge Basyjames posted the following dictionary of acronyms that people use on this forum. Hope this helps!
    Rainbow smile created a dictionary of sorts to help with some of the acronyms we use in this forum:
    IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals)
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    LFD Liquid Fast Day (liquids only)
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    DAFD: Day after fast day
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    20:4 Warrior 20 hours fast 4 hours window
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    OMD One Meal a Day usually 23:1 Or 20:4
    Feast Day: planned day of eating over TREE
    Refeed follow WFD B2B gradual increase in food
    DD, DS, DH Darling Daughter,Son, Husband
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    EFS Epic Face Stuffing
    Tortoise Club: (or Club Tor-Twah) for those looking weight very very slowly
    Pocket List: put in your pocket list for support
    Challenge: gauntlet thrown down for food or exercise
    Cruella: those pesky scales
    MFP: My Fitness Pal (app)
    Fitbit: recording for exercise wrist band
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Have a great weekend everyone!

Day 1 Massachusetts USA CD @at I have not been able to find the link to the February Spreadsheet.

@mogaman@at put it at the bottom of her beginning post for this month’s challenge..

Day 1 Minnesota , USA NFD

Thank you, again, @at, for setting this next challenge up. I am starting at 151.2 lbs (68.7Kg). My BMI is now 23.7. I am 169 cm, or 5 ft 6 and 1/2 inches tall. I use to be a bit over 170 cm. My goal is to decrease weight by 2 lbs or 1 Kg. in February. Not a very ambitious goal, but with Valentines day, and the last week of February being on vacation, I will keep this as my goal, and hope for more loss, if possible. Once Spring arrives I will be more active and the weight will come off, I’m sure.

Best to everyone. Stay determined! And stay with the forum…no judgement, and plenty of support!

Day 2 Melb Aust NFD
    Day 1, FD800

Great to meet up with so many diverse and interesting folk! I’ve just completed 4 days B2B2B2B2B of FD800, and very pleased to see that wretched plateau has finally yielded. I was even 0.5 kg lighter on the scales this morning compared with yesterday. Such a relief. When “dieting”, I always seem to get stuck around 82 kg, and often give up after a few weeks. Was determined not to this time. So, I’m hoping to persevere with F800, like @redrockgirl302, @basyjames and @flourbaby, though I’ve a lot more to lose than any of them. Well done (said with an envious sigh! 🙂 ) to those who are already at maintenance. Keep strong!

@judyjudes – you’re slowly losing, but… you are losing, so well done.

@gretta, enjoy the honeymoon. This WOL will still be here when you’re back

@dykask, congrats to your daughter on her getting into the top Japanese high school. That’s a wonderful achievement.

@snowflake56, thanks for all the abbreviations, and @matpi, too. Should we add another one, F800, as a FD at 800 cals???

Day 2 – Japan – NFD

Yesterday turned into a 1000 calorie day instead of water fast day. About 22 hours of fasting before eating, then a 15 hour fast and probably a 2000 calorie brunch. (Probably a high estimate as there were a lot of vegetables too, but a good amount of food.) So I probably won’t eat too much more the rest of the day. Almost in a one meal a day pattern.

Day 2 Herefordshire UK FD
    Oh dear not the best start, woke within a few hours of sleep and couldn’t get back to sleep, succumbed to left over pudding and cup of tea at 4am! Busy day here so hope I have the energy to get through, determined to keep to my planned FD today, @snowflake56 are you in?
    Must go have a cat insisting I get up!

Pocket List Day 2
    @dingping

Wishing everyone some joy and happiness.
    Ta x

Day 2, Emden Germany, FD

wow, so many posts to read and to respond. have to do it later in the day, plan to paint the bedroom ceiling today.

@dingping of course I’m in! On the days my DH has to go to work he sets the alarm clock at 5:00 am (work starts at 7:00 am, he needs a lot of time to wake up and get ready), our lovely cat wakes us up at 5:00 am on the other days as well. Cats seem to have a meal timer in their head. I loved the description of your relaxed weekend, this is the way to live!

Pocket List Day 2
    @dingping
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

2nd post

@dingping my BIL found something great (we think) on youtube, we just love it, great music when painting or doing housework, it gives me so much energy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkM71JPHfjk

2nd post
    @snowflake56 – that put a smile on my face, it’s going to be going round my head all day! Funnily enough I’m painting walls and cupboards, not such a relaxing w’end as last but differently enjoyable, really claiming the house as ours now. Brilliant ear worm to have all day, thanks you’re so good at passing on your brilliant you tube finds, ta x
    Your poor OH, such early starts, mine works the other way round late into the night, finishes 1.30/2am. I’m quite enjoying our separated lives at the moment, can get on without distractions.
    Cat desperate to go outside but keeping her in for 3 weeks so she knows this is home. She’s a rescue cat that wondered off from her last owners who were untraceable (now chipped) don’t want her disapearing from us.
    Have a good day it’s a beautiful crisp blue sky start here with snow on the mountains.

Ta x

Day 2. UK. Fast800

Woke to a lovely crisp coating of light snow. Everything looks pretty and chocolate boxey. Although I’m sorry for all those it’s causing disruption to. Some people have become stranded but luckily local amenities have provided shelter and refreshments.

Closed my belly yesterday at 799 cals @ 18:00hrs. Had disturbed sleep and I think it’s because of eating too low carb yesterday. So tonight I will be having rice with my evening meal in a Biryani.

On weighing this morning I expected a slight rise as I tend to up down and up down whilst making slow progress. Pleased to say I am down .6lbs. According to my app thats the twelveth consecutive weight reduction. Never ever had such a positive run.

It’s great reading about everyone’s journeys so far.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Peace and love.

Day 2 Belfast NFD

I took delivery of MM’s Fast 800 and have read half of it. I’m off to Tenerife next Friday for a bit of winter sunshine so I think when I come back from my holiday I’m going to switch to low carb and 800 cals 3days a week. I already do 16:8 and have done so for a couple of years. My OH is type one diabetic who tests regularly. He found that his blood sugars were much more stable only eating two meals a day, brunch and supper, so I fitted in with him. It certainly works for me, especially because I’m not hungry in the morning. Im good at beating myself up about my sugar addiction, but on a positive note, during January, I managed to go for over half of the days without, and I only drank alcohol on one day, so that has to be positive.

@diggly -likewise. I miss the banter and laughter, the fun with the kids, and above all the creativity but DEFI ITELY not the paperwork workload. I tutor a bit, which I find very rewarding but haven’t taught in school since I retired. I’m definitely a member of the tortoise group – it wasn’t a quick process, but more to the point, I got there and have stayed there.
    Good luck with your journey.

Off now to walk the dog. Yesterday I managed 17000 steps during the day, which was a surprise. Will fall off the wagon a bit tonight as I watch the rugby with friends and enjoy an Indian meal and a few gins. I shall have a CD up to then.

Have a good day everyone.

Day 2. NFD. I’m away. Again

I agree about what happens when you retire from teaching. I really miss the kids, my colleagues, the weft and warp of working alongside people you like and respect. I really don’t miss the constant hassle and paperwork which had little to do with teaching children and lots to do with ticking ridiculous boxes for the benefit of bean counters. I wonder if that will ever change.
    Anyway, you can’t have it all. Sadly!
    Have a good day all. H

Day 2 – Perth AUS – 800

Why are weekends so hard!? I’m only just in keto today. The Fast 800 should see you in mild ketosis all the time, but I test daily and today was nowhere near where it has been. Really shouldn’t have eaten those icy poles. But the pack said only 39 cals each! Haha oh well… we all have lapses, right? 😛 My new rice cooker doubles as a vegie steamer though so pretty happy about that 🙂

Great to see most people from Jan back into it and some old and new faces 😀 And belated congrats @dykask!

Day 2 NFD
    just read through all the fantastic posts! Then realised I’m supposed to post too! @debster251 I will be watching the rugby this evening too. Falling off the wagon is inevitable but I refuse to beat myself up over it…I shall be back on the wagon tomorrow. I’ve been out this morning walking the dogs. The snow was beautiful and the fresh air a real tonic but my thoughts are with everyone who is struggling with extreme conditions. Hope you’re all safe and well. @dingping and @snowflake56 good on you for your decorating skills. I’m ashamed to say I have a decorator who does it for me. I can’t paint for toffee so tend to use him when everything looks a little drab. @dykask I have found that my OH and I tend to eat only one meal these days. We just don’t feel hungry and we agreed to stop eating just for the sake of it. Hopefully that will help us control the calories a little.
    Anyway lots of chores to be getting on with. Good luck everyone and enjoy the weekend 😍

Day 2 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday turned into a 670 calorie FD, and that is fine. I just got too busy to eat breakfast, or lunch, so managed with just a pork chop and oriental veggie supper. Yeah for that. Never sleep well after a FD, and last night was likewise.

Bible study this morning, followed by a board meeting and work at our blossoming children’s museum. At least the super cold has abated, but they are calling for rain, possibly freezing, today.

@elektron – what in the world are ‘icy poles?’ Must be delicious to have you wanting them!

Onward and downward.

Day 2: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD.
    Beautiful, sunny, crisp day today with yesterday’s snow on the ground (set hard by last night’s frost). Enjoyed a nice dog-walk in the park….cleared the cobwebs!

Thanks @annemarilyn for RTE….of course, I realised soon after I asked restricted time eating! Also, congratulations on your new waist-size. Losing 8.5 inches is impressive.

@ab-805: Pocket list: the list of people fasting that day….put it in your pocket for motivation and support.

Have a good day everyone.

I meant TRE (of course)!! Time Restricted Eating. Oops!

Day 2, London, UK, FD

I’m feeling a lot more positive this month, starting anew always has that effect!!!! Another month, another opportunity to eradicate some fat!!!

@dykask, congratulations to your daughter, it’s certainly an achievement!!! I’ve been meaning to ask …………………….. is your wife on board with your fasting yet, she must see your improvements both physically & mentally?

@debster251, well done on the sugar and booze swerving in January…………………… I did the same for the 1st 3 weeks but managed to throw my mojo away for the last week after less than stellar results, even though I KNOW there’s a delayed reaction where my numbers are concerned …………………………. E.g. 3lb whoosh on the final day of January after a week of eating crap!!!! I can’t keep reminding myself so I must have this tattooed on my forehead ……………………………….. ‘PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER’!!!!!!

Going for 800cals today, it still feels a bit decadent after basic 500cal 5:2 for such a long time, I suppose once I get to maintenance (when, Oh when????) my experience will serve me well………………………. It better!!!!!!!

Stay strong everyone & think HEALTH!!!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 748 total)

You must be logged in to reply.