Fat Busting Brits!!

This topic contains 34,882 replies, has 402 voices, and was last updated by  hedgehogs 11 hours, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 35,367 total)

• Hi Jaye

I think liquid fasts are fine health wise. I think Michael did one on his Horizon programme. It isn’t for me.

Try this link to Singapore Noodles.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/531338-the-nutrition-information-for-singapore-noodles/

I know they aren’t meant to be too bad.

I will be going out for a meal in a couple of weeks as I have just looked at restaurant voucher I had for a bad meal and that has to be used by 12th May. I need to spend £30 so will be going with a friend or maybe two friends.

Hope this article just doesn’t confuse you more. You will be please to know that so far not 1 midget gem has passed my lips. Ha ha ha ……….

Ginette

Hi Milena

I do 5:2 but also it works out that I do 16/8. Not trying to do that it just happens. Yes I think the water day is fine. A friend of mine did it and lived to 95+ Also a man I am only saying this as their lifetime expectancy is historically shorter although I hear that this is changing.

5:2 did work for me and although it slowed up the last two weeks I lost an average of 1.3lbs a week. I just wanted to kickstart it as I have only lost 1/2 lb a week for the last two.

I don’t enjoy breakfast but had something early for late breakfast to add to calories. Rhubarb and apple with Greek youghurt. Now I am not hungry so goodness knows when I will eat lunch. This eating thing is more difficult than I thought.

No I can’t imagine a life without occasional puds and chocolate either. We just need to have them less often or less of them – perhaps both.

Wishing you luck for weigh in. Do you feel as if you have lost weight this week. I put on a skirt that I normally wear and it seemed looser. Maybe my imagination! I will do measurements at the end of the six weeks.

Ginette

Ginette, thanks. I saw that page too but the cals were massively different between them. I took the points from MyFitnesspal which was for just one cup, I doubled it to about 900. It’s something I would love to eat again but prefer to know the cals just incase it’s on a day where I don’t have 1000 free. It is a high carb meal but nice to have once in a while.

I’m in agreement about puddings, have them, just don’t be obsessed about them enough to taylor your diet to have them daily (one, not you) lol. People do that. As for counting calories, I enjoy it and we are given a TDEE on this web site so we can be mindfull, I believe it is a great tool they have given us to keep on track and it’s important to be mindful. I’m making food choices I’ve never made before and want to know that they are good choices and not taking me over my TDEE. Losing weight and being healthy is more important to me than a piece of cake so I have it, I just don’t care much about not having it. This is only my opinion and how I do this. I’m quite strict and for the beach diet that’s the point. When I have lost the massive 9 stone (including the 32lbs already lost) I want to lose then I will be less disciplined. I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything. There is nothing I would say I will never eat again, just only occasionally lol. I’ve a longer journey than a lot of other people starting at 19.2lbs (God I was about to pop lol) and I intend to enjoy it. I am ecstatic that cake doesn’t bother me, but it was never really cake for me. It’s that crumpets and bread and cereals etc no longer call my name from the kitchen, night after night lol. It’s like a miricle to me to say no to these foods which is why it bothers me much less. I just don’t crave them, thank god because I can’t carry on my life even at the size I am now. I have to keep focused and keep going. I intend to make the most of losing this weight as quickly but as healthily as possible. This WOL means different things to different people, we all approach it differently, we all taylor ot to suit us, that’s what’s fantastic about it as Ginette said. It is a one size fits all lol. I’m delighted that everyone is finding their own way through it and is losing. Would be interesting to find out how much has been losed by all the members since the start of this year. What will be even more fantastic is seeing how healthy and how much people are sticking around goal weight in one to two years time. 🙂 🙂 🙂

I will often have a yoghurt or fruit after a meal. But I occasionally treat myself.

No treats this week. I started this at 19.1 so we are in the same boat. I also prefer to eat at lunchtime not breakfast although I sometimes have a piece of fruit in the morning.

Never was crisps and crumpets for me. Bread yes, more because it was easy. No I probably have a sandwich four times a week.

How are you feeling now (legs and back)?

Hope they are settling down.

Ginette

It’s interesting to listen to you all talk about finding the lifestyle that suits you. I’m starting to get there. Last week when I started, I didn’t do my fast days properly and then after all the advice you guys have me, I’ve managed to have 3 really successful fast days this week. I feel like I’m learning and adapting at the moment. After this week, I feel like I’ve now nailed fast days. I know how to do it properly and when best to eat for me (Apple at lunch and then early dinner around 5-5.30).

The best thing I need to work on is my NFDs. I start off well and have healthy breakfasts and lunch but then my dinners still contain a lot of carbs because I enjoy them. However, I am not really snacking inbetween meals, I’m not finishing off all my daughters meals and I’m eating less chocolate. Chocolate really is my weak spot. I love it! But I’m now only having a small bit as a treat on a NFD. So I’m finding that I’m making better choices on my NFDS but could still do better. But surely that’s the beauty of this diet! I’m so impressed how little some of you eat on a NFD-I couldn’t donit after a FD but with time I’m sure I’ll eat less and less. Like I said, I feel like I’m in a period of adjustment.

I’m really pleased I managed to do 3 FD this week and have lost 3lbs (5lbs over the 2weeks). I’ll now concentrate on having a good weekend, not putting anything on and looking forward to next week. Hopefully by the end of next week I am lose the last 2lbs to get to the 14st mark and I’ll also have lost half a stone.

Quick question though: you guys have mentioned Bare Naked Noodles are only 20cal. I only have a sainsburys and tesco near me-I’ve looked but can’t find them or anything similar. Anyone know of any sold there and where to find them?

Well done to everyone for surviing this week and make sure you all enjoy a nice weekend

xXx

Hi there!

Yes I also agree this WOL is great, because you can experiment till you get it personalized. Don’t think I could ever do just liquid, as I would be worried about going back to “normal” eating. Welshy I also struggle on NFD’s, am fine on FD’s, albeit low on energy, but I put that down to being quite active, on my feet all day, and also the added Zumba classes I give. I don’t really know what “normal” means but I suppose it’s what you normally eat, with some tweaks here and there, and I tend not to eat stuff from packets/tins apart from Lentils, tuna, eggs, prawns, toms and porridge oats. Nearly everything has sugar in it, and the food manufacturers ought to be ashamed of themselves, for the overload of junk on our shelves..

Thanks Jayegirl will go back to Miso, having a boiled egg first thing on FD helps as well. On NFD’s, especially the weekend have found am not hungry in the mornings, similar to reports on this thread 🙂 nice discovery. Am sticking well below TDEE on NFD’s but am no saint, yesterday fell off the wagon with some Karma Sutraa ice-cream, with caramel “core” (don’t ask) not going to beat myself up, otherwise will not be helpful, gotta be strong and believe! Have lost 5 Ibs since I started, despite the KS incident, and someone said “you look different” the other day, not sure I that was a compliment..;-) I do love this WOL cos it gradually nudges you to choose better and also the FD’s are quite tough mentally/physically, so it would be a waste of energy to undo all the good work.

Am really inspired by hearing about everyone’s weight loss experiences, a fabulous forum!

xx

Welshy I think they do the Bare noodles in Holland and Barret, and you can buy them online..

Hi Welshy

Well done for staying with it. You are doing well and things will change for you in the future. Chocolate was my weak spot as well. Here hoping you reach your target. I know that you are still struggling this will get better. I cut out processed foods and most ready meals, I have one now and again now. I prefer to batch cook and freeze what I won’t eat that week. This way I have my own “ready meals” I just add vegetables.

Bare naked noodles you can get from Holland and Barratt or maybe other health food shops they are more expensive though. Also you can order them online if you try a packet and like them.

Hi Beldyboop

Don’t worry about the ice cream one offs won’t hurt you. This is what 5:2 is about. You can have a little of what you want. The food habits do change but slowly and imperceptibly (what a long word)! In other words without you noticing or even trying!!

In case this helps anybody. This is how I found it:

Week 1 – struggled with what to eat. Decided on the day.
    Week 2 – felt it was easier but really carb hungry after a fast day. Still struggling with what to eat.
    Week 3 – adapted to no lunchtimes just evenings weighed and measured everything the night before.
    This was so much easier. Used a post it note to add up calories as I went. Still a little carb hungry after fast day.

After this point I realised that I didn’t want carbs every evening. So changed to only 2/3 times a week. I still do that now. I tend to make a meal with sauces eg chicken in sauce or if not I use a dairy free cheese sauce over my vegetables. I use frozen mostly vegetables. It is much easier to keep a variety. They require much less cooking as the freezing process softens them. I do put herbs in with my vegetables different types of herbs and sometimes garlic. I saw a program which showed that frozen vegetables were really fresh when frozen. So less cooking and more goodness.

I once had a cauliflower straight from a field, given to me by a farmer. The stalk was really soft to cut though like a tomato or peach but not juicy. This was surprising to me as shop bought had always been hard. I would love to try other vegetables like this to see if they are the same.

Sorry I digress………

I am now not carb hungry after a fast day. I only eat a meal at lunch time and in the evening. Snacks will now be fruit and/or youghurt. I do often make up a sugar free jelly and have with half a pot of youghurt. Lovely especially on a warm day or in the evening. I am not sure when it changed only a few weeks in.

I found that I am now not as hungry. In fact such a change. I imagine it must have been carb hungry now as it was obviously not true hunger. I did have a few treat things over a week especially the two weeks after Easter. My weight loss slowed to 1/2 a week. Now although I don’t mind this on one week, two were worrying. So I joined Milena on the Fast Beach diet this is put together by Mimi Spencer as meant as a kickstart to weight loss. Believe me I am nowhere near a bikini!! The only difference is dropping carb based treats. Hence cake, wine, sweets, cholocate etc. Also doing HIIT exercises 3 times a week and muscle strength training. I do HIIT on the Wii and use one of the programs that I have or chase the dog like a lunatic (she loves it. I have started with 3 x 10 second bouts for three times a week. Next week I may increase to 15 seconds. I read to start slowly and increase so that is what I am doing.

I do exercise and again use the Wii started with 15/20 minutes three times a week now I do 20/30 mins 3/4 times a week.

My first week is almost at an end as I started Monday, I always weigh Friday or Saturday so I can report after the (nearly) first week I have lost 3lb!!!! Really pleased with that. I counted calories every day and I well and truly under TDEE. I am only finding I am eating about 1000 calories on NFD’s. This is not what I am trying to do it just happens!! I keep trying to increase and yesterday decided to have something much earlier than usual as I wanted in increase calories (this sounds so strange) but as I had eaten about 11.45 I didn’t want anything lunch time. I just wasn’t hungry. I started getting hungry about 7pm this is my normal time to eat between 7 and 8.30 and so I had a pie (shouldn’t have been allowed but had to take out of freezer to pack veg in) potatoe wedges with peel on and southern fried coating and beans. Delicious!! But this still didn’t take me up to over 1100.

FBD is only for six weeks. so only 5 to go. Sunday I will have a roast. And a solero for dessert as this is only 95 calories and relatively low carb. I do like a dessert on Sunday.

So hopefully my journey may help the people struggling. All of the changes in the first few weeks were just due to the change in eating pattern. I didn’t choose them – they chose me. I find it strange that I am not drawn to certain foods but it is not that I am listening to my body it is telling me so it is much easier.

Sorry as post is a bit long, obviously on my soap box!!

Have a nice weekend all.

Ginette

Well I have to say that Ginette and I are on the same page with how the WOL has changed us mentally when it comes to carbs and food in general. But we are pretty spot on with our FD cals and we do give sweet things a wide birth which has become very easy very quickly. I can’t complaine about all the naturally positive changes that Ginette has listed. And it’s rare we eat before lunch. And that ‘carb hungry’ comment hit the nail on the head. I think for us, the more carbs we ate of course the more we wanted. Just went round and round, that carb voice calling you back to the kitchen over and over. That has gone! YEAAAAHHHHH!!!. I also like the odd carb dish. And I also eat out 3 days/eves a week and have no trouble keeping well under my TDEE. When I’m at home I also don’t eat a great deal of food and don’t get past 1000 cals. Yesterday I had a banana, tbsp of peanut butter, 50g of strawberries and 2 tiny satsumas and a cappuccino for my lunch. For dinner my meal was 470 cals. Plus I made some Gazpatcho but didn’t eat more than half a bowl to try it. Not bad but bit like eating salsa lol.

It’s lovely to just not be food obsessed, @welshy IF you can keep cutting back on the sugar/carbs this will perpetuate itself and start to happen naturally. If you want to be in control and eat cake/sweets occasionally. Then cut them out even just for one full week to get it out of your system. But if you continue to incorporate it into your daily eating the cravings will never go away. I know it’s each to their own but concerning ‘normal eating’ Michael has said that ‘normal’ eating doesn’t neccessarily mean ‘your’ norm. It means healthy norm within the TDEE. Of course we all have times we go above and beyound lol. If you want your normal eating to be chocolate. Cakes, biscuits each day then you won’t have a good TDEE day, it’s that simple. Try to strive for the odd sugar laden food choice, not a daily one. Before I started this a friend said cut back on your sugar in coffee and cereal. We had a bit of a heated debate about it ‘I don’t want a life without sugar, coffee and weetabix without sugar, I like the taste of coffee with sugar….Blah blah blah…. I was wrong, she was right lol. Still can’t have tea without sugar but I prefer coffee anyway. Now when I have my skinny cappuccino (giving me my daily milk intake for only 96 cals) I savour it’s milky, frothy, coffee taste, it’s delicious. I appreciate that drink more than most other things I have to be honest. Oh and my peanut butter spread on a banana fetish lol. That is scrumptious! You are doing fantastic @welshy, keep making strides to make those little changes, the better you get at FDS the better you will be at staying under TDEE on NFDs.

Ginette, did I miss your update with yout trainer guy?

My knee is the pits!!! Today I went to a retail park with a friend. Had to use my stick and hang onto him. Had to keep sitting down. NOT a happy bunny. On the plus side I got a lovely yellow/white/grey dress from Matalan, size 24. My last purchase was a 26. And a lovely straw trilby lol for my holidays for £6! So pleased with that because all the others in places like Top shop are £25, AS IF! Lol. Think Tuesday I will see if I can get in with my own GP and see if I can bypass the orthopaedics, go straight for an x-Ray and possibly a second cortisone injection. It’s the worst it’s been since I finished work.

The Bare Nacked Noodles are sold in two stores only. Morrisons £1.99 and Holland & Barretts £2.99. Also you can buy on line if you google them. Great for the odd fast day or to replace pasta or noodles for ypurself when cooking family meals. Keep in mind they are a processed food though. Taste absolutely fine, take on the flavour of the sauce so make sure it’s a tasty one.

I lost my 2lbs this week, weight loss is slowing now. I might start doing 3 for a week or two.

Alcohol free weekend for me, I’m doing the FBD, but having to skip the exercise.

Happy weekend everyone. Don’t forget to join us on our secret Fast pages on Facebook. Add me at JAYE BLOG.

Jaye 🙂

Hi

very off topic but just had a discussion with OH – voices were raised. Could any English here tell me what their flag is? The Union flag or the St George’s cross?

Are you British or English – or simply both?

No right or wrong answers – I don’t want a debate – I was just wondering if everyone thinks like I do. Cos OH thinks I’m wrong to think it!

The red + is the flag of St. George. The patron saint of England ( and a few other countries outside of the U.K. The union Jack is just that ! It is the Welsh,Irish, Scottish and English banners all overlaid on the same banner.Hope that clarifies things. Unfortunately a lot of English people think that the Union flag is the English flag too. So non Brits could be forgiven for the same mistake.

As to the question am I English or British. I choose to say I am European but that is my stance my siblings are outraged because they are English through and through !!!! ( p.s. I also fill in questionnaires stating ” prefer not to say” regarding Ethnicity and although married, I refer to myself as Ms and I don’t wear my wedding ring.

Milena

The Saint George’s cross is the English one. The Union Jack as exactly what it says representent the would of the United Kingdom, so the blue in the flag is Scotland.

I agree with Trinder.

Ginette

For me it’s the Union Jack, however the George Cross is the English flag. I am British, and I come from England. I’m not precious about being called either. I use the term ‘Brits’ to include everyone from the UK. Having lived abroad with many ex pats it’s the norm to says Brits. I don’t care if people from other countries called me Welsh, Scottish, Irish lol, a I just educate them.

Jaye 🙂

Yeah, I know I’m not prefect on NFDs but I know that im already better. I could quite happily eat a 200g bar of dairy milk before without giving it a second thought. Today I did have a chocolate craving but a standard Wispa sorted me out (and my daughter stole a third anyway!) but that’s the only snack I’ve had all day. My meals were healthy-ish and not too many carbs.

I figure each week I’ll work on one aspect. I know that if I zap my calories down everyday I would fail so I figure slowly I’ll improve a different aspect each week.

I’m actually Welsh but living in England now. The Welsh are a very proud nation and I definately consider myself Welsh, then British. If someone abroad calls me english, I correct them (don’t mind if they call me British) Most English people I know call themselves British I think. To me, the English flag is St George’s Cross. The Union Jack is the British flag (although I don’t see any sign of Wales in it). I also think the English should have their own anthem. The Celtish nations all do, and God save the queen is the British anthem to me. The first (and only) time I sung God save the queen was at the 2012 Olympics. My bfs English family were in shock lol but anthems are a seperation issue!

Hi Welsy

You are doing fine. You have changed so much. Be proud of the control you now find you have. The rest will come.

Stay positive. The best thing for me is the control I have now. More than ever before when controlwas a bit haphazard. Some days I had it other days out of the window.

Ginette

Thanks all for your input, it was a heated discussion over a travel charm.

Im half Engish, father Yugoslav, and married to a Scot. Though born in Yorkshire, and God’s own Country may just trump the lot! OH a weggie with maternal grandparents also from Yorkshire.

Milena, definitely English first then British, and our flag is St Georges and agree we need our own anthem.

Im happy with the Anthem as it is though Jerusalem was my school song love it, and I vow to thee my country does it for me too! And Ilkley Moor, of course!

Good morning all,

Very impressed Ginette and Jaye doing fast beach sounds hard your commitment is awesome good luck you are both doing amazingly and have such a wealth of knowledge to share with everyone new to fasting, you both inspired me to keep going I love following your journeys .
    Welshy you can do this my main problem and how I put weight on originally was just mindless eating just popping anything in anytime especially when I was cooking , I no longer do that no snacking at all I rarely eat chocolate or anything with lots of sugar . I’ve found the less sugar you eat the less you want and your tastes will change throughout the journey just stick with it and you will be amazed at what happens to your eating habits.
    Off out today with my daughter to buy her birthday present and hopefully get some new clothes for me following Jayes amazing clothing wisdom very exciting
    Have a lovely Sunday everone

Thanks Twigglet (smiley)

You are doing a brilliant job @welshy you really are, no such thing as perfect, we can only do our best.

It’s hard trying impress upon others what you know about breaking the sugar cycle. Like I said I had the same argument with a friend ‘but I like sugar, I want to eat it’ lol. Untill you are on the otherside of breaking the chain and sugar no longer is of real interest and you can take it or leave it you just see it as something you must have and you think being without it is a terrible deprivation. I thought it, you and Ginette thought it. Everyone does untill they give it up for just a short period and then like magic…. You can honestly say no thanks to buying and eating it regularly. And then all the other good things about this way of life fall into place, no sugar = no cravings = not turning to high sugar/carb foods, no picking = only eating when you are truly hungry = naturally making better food choices = less calories = becoming healthier, slimmer, happier.

My two biggest tips for starting this way of life:
    Get prepared before you start, and for every fast day to come.
    For one week go cold turkey on sugar/high carb foods.

If you can do number 2 The rest just follows.

I had an alcohol free night last night. Usually I drink a bottle of Prosecco, of course I was home but I also have bottles in the house lol. I want to prove to myself I can have a good time on weekends without drinking. I eat out twice a week other than Saturday and drive so I figured I would give Saturday’s a go while on FBD. Don’t get me wrong, I like cake and I want to have it and eat it sometimes lol. And much like my days of the past were I could not go to see a movie without eating an ENTIRE bag of M&Ms to myself (1100 cals) and now just take in a bottle of water. I want to be able to take or leave my precious Prosecco rather than it being a must on every Saturday night. I wrote a post lately saying I thought I would feel deprived if I gave up alcohol, thinking about it later I thought to myself. Surely it’s much like all the other changes I have made, none of which left me feeling deprived, quite the opposite, I felt empowered. So the FBD is giving me the opportunity to see how I cope for 6 weeks without it. I have plans next Saturday but we are driving to Yorkshire, maybe Harrogate. Spending the day and coming back mid evening. I’m driving so that will be week 2 with no alcohol. I will get hammered on the first swirl of bubbles on week 7 ooOoo0Ooo
    Lol.

Good luck @twigglet with shopping. I forgot one on the apps for money off deals is ‘Vouchers’. I got 30% off in The Body Shop on Thursday. Got my shampoo, vit E spray for my holidays and other odds and sods. Great bargain. There was one for Dorothy Perkins, just put in the location, it will pick up Vouchers near by. Works on Restaurants too. Have fun. JOIN our Facebook and share your pics. JAYE BLOGS I’m a blonde in a navy and cream top.

Happy Sunday and Happy Fasting.

Jaye 🙂

Dear all

Thanks Jayegirl for the great tips! and congrats, very inspiring stuff, going without your bubbles 😉 I have struggled with my wine intake over the years, due to personal crises, but am now in a better “place” 🙂 I still have 1 or 2 wines at the w/e (now white as red tastes too sweet) but have found that it often goes hand in hand with the “munchies” and also the next day has a knock on effect… I might well experiment without it, as you say it’s quite empowering…When you say cold turkey on carbs for a week, which carbs? all of them?

Ginette, thanks for you breakdown of how you felt at the beginning. I am still struggling on NFD’s, but actually it will only be week 4 next week, so early days. I’m sure it will happen slowly. I tend to tally up calories for my NFD’s on the Biggest loser, which I used before this this, and my TDEE is quite high, 1914, so don’t often go over, as do a lot of activity.

Great Twigglet, that’s good to hear, how long have you been doing FD?

Welshy how’s the Fitsteps?

Good luck to all with FD’s days and FBD’s this week 🙂 here’s to an awesome week!

Beldy, refined carbs such as pasta, plain white rice, potatoes, regular breads, teacakes, crumpets, cereals etc. All contain lots of sugar. Try sweet potatoes, brown rice (I’ve bought some packet brown flavoured rice (just to try it), Bare Naked Noodles or courgette ribbons instead of spaghetti, low GI bread etc. Even pilau rice (small quantaties 50g) isn’t that bad. It’s personal preference of course but if you can stick with minimising these for a week it helps but cold turkey of course on sweet desserts, chocolates, cakes, biscuits sweets, etc. etc, you will reep the benifits of detoxing your body. The less you eat sugar in all forms the less you want it. This has a knock on effect, you’re eating less refinded carbs = less cravings for more of the same foods = less hunger, especially emotional hunger when the kitchen is calling you and nothing but high carb/sugar foods will do. = less calories as you naturally make better food choices as your body stops demanding the sugary food. The purpose of the fast is to control your blood sugar. We have minimal calories that should be spent on fueling our bodies with good protiens, none starchy veg and fruits to get the most nutrition and stave off hunger for longer. As you teach your body this on fast days you can take that through to your none fast days. It’s just a matter of avoiding trigger foods for a while. Fasting helps you as you are not eating them on fast day the day after should be easier and more natural to make healthier choices. It’s not a matter of never eating these foods, it’s matter of training your mind and subsequently your body that you don’t need them day to day and you can choose when you will indulge a little. I’m assuming it works like this for everyone, it has for me, Ginette and others. It takes a bit of will power of course, but it goes on auto pilot quite quickly.

Some of it is also just changing habits, I also used to eat after I drank but in the 7 out of 10 weeks I have drank I have eaten dinner at the same time. I’ve limited the amount I drink and even have some soda water at the same time. I have never eaten again after dinner when I’m drinking and the next day I haven’t been wanting to eat every carb I can get my hands on lol. Stick to high protiens which is what your body needs if it’s detoxing from alcohol. A breakfast of a high meat content sausage, bacon with fat cut off, scrambled or poached eggs, tomatoes or baked beans, mushroons cooked in a bit of butter or oil and just one slice of toast. And drink plenty of water and some coffee. Just don’t head out for Mc Ds lol. We are not saying never…. We are saying lets curb those cravings and be able to eat and drink a bit more sensibly, if that makes sense?

You sound like you are already making positive changes, just keep going, one day at a time.

Jaye 🙂

Hi Twigglet

Many thanks. It is wonderful how wants and needs change. No effort at all put into this. Almost as if we have been hypnotised.

I am glad you are getting there. What are your losses so far?

Hi Jaye

Yes you were right it was easier than I thought. Thinking about it was the hardest part. Ha Ha

To those of you like me who like treats do as Jaye says try for a week. Maybe we should have a weekly challenge here. You can all support Milena, Jaye and I on our fast beach diet. What about that. For one week only.

Come on who is up for the challenge? The gauntlet is down replies soon please!!

Beldyboop are you in one week only!

Hi Beldyboop

Yes it really was to show the struggle as each of us think maybe it is us struggling. If we all show this it will let others know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I still have carbs. I have them 2/3 times a week for dinner. Potatoes are my choice. I also have granary/wholemeal bread about 4 times a week although this week it will work out only 3. I have cut out cake, chocolate and the few sweets I had midget gems only about 12/15 a week normally. I don’t drink alcohol so no worries there. Also I don’t drink fizzy drinks never really have. Maybe once a year if I am travelling and it’s really hot I will have a can of lilt.

You can make sugar free jellies and have with yoghurt if you want something sweet. Or fruit and youghurt this is one of my favourites.

So not complete deprivation.

I was already eating under TDEE on this site I set mine about 350 lower. A lot of people have done this. Now without the treats I find I am only around 1000 hence the weight loss I would imagine……and with no real effort.

Have a nice Sunday.

Ginette

I still lost 3 lbs and this was with the carbs above. I haven’t done a full week on FBDiet. But I am interested to know what next weeks loss will be so a good weight loss spurred me on.

Haha @ginette rallying the troops! I like it.

A week of no sweet vices. Nothing over 5g in 100. I think that’s the table diabetics use? So if you have a fruit yogurt pot just make sure its not full of sugar. If it’s low fat it will be so check sugar on full fat options too? It’s strange but for some reason greek yoghurt can have as much sugar in full fat as low fat. Just one of those things. But a big dollop ontop of a lovely fruit salad won’t cause any cravings and is delicious. A little sprinkling of cinnamon is nice on this.

I find a milky coffee is good when you want to curb your sweet tooth, you’re getting some sugar from the milk and the froth feels like an indulgence. Of course, no added sugar and make it a skinny if you want to save cals. Only 64 cals for a drink in medium skinny coffee at Costa.

I love Peanut butter on a banana for a nice snack that satiates.

Freezing berries and grapes is supposed to be a great.

Think of alternatives that you can have to help with cravings instead of sugar and share your ideas.

At the end of the week if we have managed to not eat anything from the ‘sweet’ section lol lets ‘treat’ ourselves to something none foody but nice. Can be something inexpensive like a magazine, a new nail varnish, a pair of costume earrings, some bubble bath, a summer treatment, maybe your eyebrows need waxing. Anything from £1/10 ($1/10). Or if you feel it’s a massive achievement then push the boat out and buy something you’ve wanted for a while.

I guarantee if you do this for 7 days, the following 7 days you’ll avoid sweet things without even noticing!

Jaye 😉

Come on then Fat Busting Brits. Live up to your name and join Jaye, Milena and I.

So far Fran from LOACA has joined us.

Anyone else?

Show what your made of come forward …….you won’t be alone and it could be like therapy for the mind and body.

Ginette

Hi there have been on the 5-2 for 2 weeks and when weighed myself last thurs had lost a stone! Felt on a high and have been treating myself all weekend…..rather worried about stepping on scales tomorrow to check the damage of the weekend – will fast tomorrow think will feel better and.less bloated heres hoping fingers crossed and all that

I’ll say hello Ginette

I pop in several times a day for inspiration but don’t tend to say much.

I’ve lost 20lbs since the 9th April and about half way to target.

Looking forward to the summer in my new smaller clothes.

I love yoga although can only fit in one class a week and although I keep promising I never do it as home. I also have a hula hoop and whether it’s that or the WOE or a combination if both I’ve managed to lose 4 inches off my waist.

I’ve also bought a Fitbit to help up my activity levels.

Love reading your posts

CW

Telling fibs – I’ve lost 20 lbs since 9th Feb not April!!!!

Hi Cakeywakey

You have done brillantly. I am so pleased you join in once in a while. Carry on the good work.

I have read up about the fit bit. Can’t afford one at the moment though.

Let me know how you find it.

Ginette

Hi Fizzy Lizzie

Well done. What a fantastic achievement. Have people close to you noticed?

A day off is good now and again. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and back in track tomorrow.

Ginette

Well, well, well…. I have spent today at home and I think because it’s a Sunday I felt like I should have been out. I was pretty bored and after doing laundry and some housework I was a bit peckish even though I usually last from 1/2 till 7 on my peanut and banana on toast. So I made scrambled eggs with butter and 100g of sliced ham about 4.30. And…. Again an hr after that I started to think about what to eat. This is unusual for me and I can honestly say it was just pure boredom! I decided to watch a movie while using my iPad too, that took me through to 7.45 when I had a bit of left over chicken and mushroom in elm lea cream (100g) the storage box weighed. Fried up a few more mushrooms, added another tbsp of cream and had it over 50g of cous cous. I’m pretty full now and hopefully past the temptation stage. That said…. I’ve absolutely nothing in my place at all that I could sabotage my efforts on lol.

Beware the evils of boredom lol.

Jaye 😉

Hi peeps,

I’m up for the challenge this week for sure! to support those on the FBD 🙂 this week will make a special effort to “curb the carbs” although tend not to eat pasta, bread etc, have porridge, lentils, but deffo, no choc, biscuits or booze. I’m getting some Bare Naked Noodles for my NFD’s. I freeze berries, which are great in the morning..

Congrats Cakeywakey, great work! 🙂

Will check in again soon..

Well done Beldyboop

You are the second one to join us.

I quite like the noodles. I have only had Chinese style spices with them at the moment.

The spice gives them the the flavour.

Fast day for me Monday

Ginette

Hi Jaye

Very unusual for you. Thankfully I don’t do that at home. Never really bored.

If I want something to do, I sometimes play scrabble online. I find it takes my mind off of any worries.

I had a solero on standby if I wanted it tonight as I usually have a dessert on Sunday. But didn’t fancy it. So it’s stayed in the freezer.

How did you enjoy the weekend without wine?

Ginette

I’m quite disappointed in myself for ending up having a heavy weekend when it wasn’t really planned. Due to various unplanned events with friends and family, there was a lot of eating. And unfortunately the scales showed it this morning-I’ve put on 1lb. So it’s a good thing I managed to squeeze 3FD in last week. Lost 2lbs overall. I have to say I felt physically awful after eating so much so am thoroughly looking forward to a FD today and a cleaner week.

The sugar challenge sounds good. I have up chocolate for lent this year. A lot of people said I wouldn’t miss it after a while, but I missed it everyday lol definately need a detox after the weekend though.

The only problem I have today is that I’ve got quite a sharp constant pain in the left side of my chest. Sounds bad I know but pretty sure it’s nothing to do with my heart! I had a cold a few weeks ago and have never been able to completely shift the cough I got so guessing it’s linked to that. It’s really quite sharp and uncomfortable and makes me doubt if going to Fitsteps tonight is a good idea, but I really want to go. Might give it a day and if it’s still bad tomorrow head to Drs. Could do with a nice easy day without running after a hyperactive toddler though!!

xXx

Hi @welshy, I take it you had the pain yesterday and not just woke up with it today, are there any other symptoms, sweating, shortness of breath, change in your skin colour, pain radiating to your arm? If not it sounds like you have strained a muscle coughing. This is very painfull and can be debilitating. You definitely shouldn’t work out. If it’s not possible to see the doctor today and you’re sure its the latter problem ibuprofen will help with the pain if you can tolorate it. If it’s still uncomfortable you can take paracetamol with it. Does it hurt to lift your arm? Get it checked out asap though, especially when you have a little one to take care of.

As for the food, it’s done now but for unexpected meals out stick to the basics on food if you know that most things will take you over your TDEE. Steak, gammon, chicken breat with jacket potatoes and veg. Avoid dessert by ordering coffee or have one small scoop of ice cream. Order soda water or water, drink a glass quickly before and another after your meal. Believe it or not lasagne is a good option. Comes in around 7/800 cals, but no bread. Noodle dishes tend to be low too, although high carb. As for drinking, drive or have spritzers and glasses of water between. It’s just a matter of being mindfull. I eat out 3 times a week in lots of different places. I always use MyFitnesspal to help me choose.

At the end of the day you still lost some and didn’t undo all your good work. And you can get it off again. As for the chocolate for lent I would hazard a guess that instead of giving it up and then putting it out of your mind, you kept reminding yourself that it was one day less, soon you can have it, won’t be long now etc lol. Much like a fast day if you can carry that strength of mind with you then you can change any habbit. If it comes into your mind push it away with happy. Thoughts of an old memory or something none foody you are looking forward too. If you see chocolate glance away telling yourself ‘no thanks I don’t want that right now’. Say it enough and you believe it. Pine after it and it doesn’t go away lol.

Ginette I was busy, just had to busy myself some more lol. It was more to do with it not being my usual routine, I’m normally out or in and out over the weekend. No alcohol was completely fine.

Welcome to the challange ladies.

Hi Fizzylizzy and a big well done to cakeywakey!

Fast day for me, good luck today everyone, fasting or otherwise.

Jaye 🙂

Im probably a bit late! But i did liquid only for 24 hours when I last did 5:2, and by liquid i mean purely just water and tea! I turned out OK! lol

On a positive note, after my practice fast day last week, im down 0.5lbs! hurrah!! so im quite positive about this week being my first proper fast week after so long! Im fasting tues and thurs.. kinda looking forward to it tomorrow!

Happy Monday everyone btw!!! Thankfully for me, its just a 4 day working week as I have Friday off for my dads birthday. Need this week to mentally prepare myself NOT to go overboard this weekend, because whenever I go back to my parents Im bombarded with food! Typical indian mentality, if your not eating, theres something wrong with you. And since I lost 30% of my body weight, my gran thinks theres something seriously wrong with me and unless I eat chapattis covered in slatherings of ghee, i will die despite me explaining to her that this is what got me fat in the first place!

Hi Welshy,

best thing sbout 5:2 is that you can veer off course and get right back on track. And you will have ‘goods in transit’.

As they say ‘all things must pass’ so you’ll soon be back on course. Hope the pain gets sorted, surprised you didnt order a baby with an on/off switch, would have been sensible (if only!!!!!!!! lol!)

No, I just woke up with this pain this morning. The strange thing is while I couldn’t shake off the cough, it was easing. No other main synptoms except occasional aching shoulder. Could still be a pulled muscle though. I’m still able to function but it’s certainly slowing me down a bit. I’m hoping it’ll ease by tonight so I can boogie at fitsteps-i feel so good afterwards. I’m hoping to set the rowing machine up soon. It’s been stored away since we moved recently. I’m hoping that I could get ten mins in every morning (a toddler can’t do too much damage in 10mins can they!? Unless I can find that off switch eh Milena?!)

I’m back fasting today and it feels good to be back in control again after over eating this weekend, although I am feeling really tired today. I WILL lose this half stone before my weekend away (in 3 weeks)!! I suppose that while I had a bad weekend I can’t really complain about losing 2lbs last week!

Oh and I forgot-pain is worse when I take a big breath, so I think it probably is a pulled muscle. how long does that take to go away? Any ideas?

Welshy

Definitely a pulled muscle, kills when you breath in. DON’T exercise tonight, flailing arms will make it worse, don’t go near the rowing machine untill it’s completely healed. I have done it a couple of times, it’s very painfull. I had to tak CO-codomol for mine. If you let it heal you will get back to working out quicker than going tonight and doing more damage. It took a good 5 days for mine to feel better but that was only after I took the codeine my doctor recommended. See your doc and ask then but listen to your body too.

You feel sluggish because you’re not used to all those rich calories, that’s a good thing.

Off to get some noodles, fresh veg for my fast dinner tonight and to enjoy a bit of sunshine sitting outside Costa with a sparkling water. Another beautiful day.

Think they banned those off switches a few years back, darn it lol. 10 mins of their fav TV show?

Jaye 🙂

Hi Welshy

Sounds like a pulled muscle to me, it will take a few days to go away. Are you joining us then for a week?

If fit steps is about exercising generally but not a lot of strenuous arm exercises then it sounds fine. It will probably take your mind off of it and at least give you a bit of exercise and enjoyment.

Don’t try rowing machine yet until the pain is well and truly gone. I agree with Milena about food in transit. I weigh myself on Friday or Saturday. It went to Saturday after Easter. Like Milena I have a bigger food day on Sunday so it makes sense to me to weigh myself then.

I hope the pain goes soon.

Hi Priyac

I have heard about the excesses of Indian food. I hope you somehow manage to dodge a big part of the calorie laden things. I go to someone on a Sunday (a friends Mum) just to see how she is on my way out. She is always offering me cake, sweets, chocolate. Sometimes I take a couple of chocolates. Last week I phoned her to see how she was (she had a really bad fall a few weeks ago and ended up in hospital).

Next time I shall take a couple of chocolates to please her to eat after my dinner and then give them away. This way I give her pleasure but am sticking to the FBD guidelines.

I wish you luck on trying to avoid things. Is there not something that is really good for you that you can ask her to make?

Ginette

Oh Welshy I do hope you feel better soon!! I can imagine that doesnt feel too good. Just rest and take it easy 🙂

Ginette, haha, I do the same thing.. take the food and then I give it to everyone at work because they all love indian food!! Indian curries are actually not bad for you, its just the amount of oil they use that adds the calories. When I cook a curry, I now just steam the onions until they soften and then go ahead with my curry instead of frying them in ladles of oil! Unfortunately my gran refuses to make anything healthy, so I just leave her to it.. shes old and I love to see her happy! If that means making room in my diet for some of her home cooked food then so be it!

Looking forward to this bank holiday! What does everyone have planned?

I’ve been umming and ahhing all day about going but decided not too. Even with painkillers, it’s hard to move around normally, never mind wiggling around in a samba or whatever. Hide and seek had to be played slowly and gingerly today!

I won’t go rowing till I’m better but i went to bed with this fitness plan and it’s frustrating that I can’t do any of it. In fact I’ve done very little today. It’s frystrating and depressing. I have to confess that I’m feeling a bit down today and not sure I’ve got the drive for fasting this week.

Priyac: I know what you mean about mothers/grandmothers cooking and being unable to say no. My mum is the same-she gets so much pleasure from cooking for people, and she’s especially known for her desserts. If I’m honest-I’m turning into her. I love baking and would love to have my own coffee shop, and love making nice meals for my family. I have baked for two weeks and miss it so much!!

xXx

Hi all

Thanks for voucher tips Jaye I will check it out ,beldyboop I started the journey in mid January I have always exercised a lot but have always been far to heavy it was getting me down and my daughter is getting married this year so I decieded enough was enough. I’m 5.9 and started out at 12.8 ish never been fond of the scales set my goal at 10.10 which I am at now it fluctuates a bit but I’m now much more comfortable and happy in my own skin although it’s a bit baggy now !
    I’ve tried every diet going and have always lost weight but never kept it off this WOL suits me fine the journey has been amazing i have changed my eating habits and nearly always make better choices. Like Jaye I eat out a bit but alter my daily intake to compensate my biggest weakness is wine so on that note I’m joining you all this week and that will be my choice of poison to give up .
    Welshy I really hope you feel better soon I broke a rib years ago it’s extremely painful rest is the only way forward.
    I’m fasting today cup a soup at lunch then scrambled eggs with mushrooms tonight will be fasting again tomorrow hopefully see how I feel .
    Good luck everyone this week

Oh Welshy

I don’t know whether I feel more for you more because of your pain or the fact that you can’t eat your Mums cooking.

It’s a tough one.

Maybe you can try some sugar free cakes, just use Stevia. I have had a few. An apricot one was particularly nice. I had it at a job I had a long time ago. They made it primarily for diabetics, a lot of people who were watching their weight had it as well. One of the favourites.

Hi Priyac

Yes it’s a difficult one isn’t it. Good luck with the challenge.

Ginette

Well done Twigglet

You have done brilliantly so far.

Ginette

Thanks Ginette I woukdnt have done it without such great support from you guys I will continue to fast to keep a stable weight hopefully find a happy medium good luck with the fast beach your doing brilliantly.
    Priyac just the thought of all that curry has me salivating its my favourite I also make a lot of curries at home also eat out but would love to try your grans I always choose really hot tomatoe based curries I don’t eat rice so that’s not a problem and I have a chapati , I also make mine oil and ghee free I find they taste nicer

Good luck

Hi everyone!

just checking in, FD tomorrow, and looking forward to it, Mon-thurs, am generally ok, as fast Tue/Thurs and give my Zumba clases on Mon/Wed so can’t scoff much before class, and totally wrecked after, lol.
    Danger days are deffo Fri and w/e, what a suprise! but am with you in spirit this week FBD girls, am sticking to no sugar/junk/booze, thanks Jayegirl for the tip on checking food for under 5grms of sugar, very helpful, so far so good.

Welshy have you seen a Dr? sounds like it’s worth checking out, not surprised you don’t feel like fasting but that’s the great thing, you could pick it up again later this week, when you feel better.

like the sound of sugar free cakes, might get some Stevia Ginette

Lots of positive vibes from this end 🙂

Priyac, all that talk of food sounds delicious, I hope it’s a nice meal. No plans yet for w/e, I hope it’s not cold and grey like today..

Beldyboop

Here is a link for sugar free Lennon drizzle. There are also links for carrot cake and banana cake from this site. This has 5 stars as does the carrot cake. The banana cake has 4 stars.

Let me know if you try any of them.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940674/sugarfree-lemon-drizzle-cake-

Ginette

Sorry I also mention you Welshy.

Ginette

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 35,367 total)

You must be logged in to reply.