Fasting 5 days non fast 2 and still not losing weight or inches

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Fasting 5 days non fast 2 and still not losing weight or inches

This topic contains 33 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  simonflaxman 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

• Hi Everyone – can someone help me please? My husband and I have been doing the 5:2 for 4 weeks – he has lost 10lb and I’ve only being weighing myself for 2 weeks and have only lost 1/4lb last week! We eat 500 calories Mon – Fri and eat normally and as sensibly as we can over the weekend. I’ve only measured myself twice last Sat and this Sat and lost no inches. Some clothes feel slightly better but it doesn’t feel like the inch loss or weight loss is significant for me. I can’t believe 5 days of 500 cals isn’t making any difference. I’m only carrying on as I feel I have some control and am aware of the health benefits. I am 11.5 stones and would like to get to 9 stones or at least 10 stones by October when we go on holiday. Any help much appreciated.

Hi encee, I lost three pounds in first week. This week I did 4 and 3 (second week)and gained half a pound!!! Not sure what went wrong. Will stick to 5 and 2 for next couple of weeks and see. By the way on non-fast days I eat around 1200 calories. I’m sorry I dont have any answers for you, but maybe someone else will help both of us!!

Just thinking, maybe we are eating too little? the body might go into famine mode or something. Hope someone out there can advise us?

You are both not following what you are suppose to do.

2 fast days and eating normal and healthy the other 5, cutting out biscuits, cakes and alcohol for the first month at least. Non fast days need to be up to about 1800 calories for woman and 2000 for a man. With lots of water.

Your body is going into the starvation mode by not eating enough!

Husband and myself have had 4 fasts, husband has lost 6 pounds and I have lost 5 pounds, and inches are going down.

I suggest you read the book again and follow it.

I’ve tried the diet for two weeks. In the first week I lost one pound, and in the second week I lost nothing. Not good enough! I’m an impatient chap who likes food, and such a pathetic result after so much suffering and discomfort just won’t do, so that’s the end of that. Perhaps it works for some metabolisms but it certainly didn’t for mine.

Thank you symba7 and anniemac. I’ve checked out the calculator and it seems I should be eating 380 cals on my fast days – which seems very little. I think you’re right symba I’m not doing the 5:2 in the right order so I will change that. I just feel that eating 500 cals for 5 days a week vs the 1500 or so I was eating before should make some difference. We haven’t had biscuits or cakes for the 4 weeks although we have had a bottle of wine at the weekend.

Ianmcd – I’m going to carry on taking motivation from the fact that a) I haven’t put on any weight so it’s a great weight management programme, b) the internal health benefits are worth it and probably not measurably in the short term with weight/inchloss c)I feel ‘lighter’and healthier and in control and it’s getting easier and less effort as we go. We have a standard set of 10/15 meals that we recycle each week.

Let me know how you all get on and I’ll update if any changes I make work better.

I’ve come to the conclusion that only two types of diet would work for me. Either the diet needs to be slow and comfortable, with a gradual reduction in weight while I feel few, if any, hunger pangs, or it must be rapid, with a weight loss of several pounds each and every week, in which case I’d be prepared to put up with feeling hungry for much of the time. The fast diet gave me considerable discomfort on the fasting days but I lost weight far too slowly to make it worthwhile.

My husband and I have been on the diet for two months. We are both within our BMI’s but wanted to get rid of middle aged spread around the middle. (I am 59 and my husband is 63). He seems to have lost a few pounds but I have not, although my clothes feel looser. I looked up my normal intake of calories for my BMI and age, and it seems to be 1,700, so 500 on the two days is more than a quarter of my average intake. Can’t see how I could eat less than that on the two days. Perhaps this diet is not suitable for an older woman?

Encee, eating only 500 calories day after day really isn’t healthy. That isn’t that much more than my friends who have suffered from eating disorders used to eat. I would imagine it slows your metabolism down quite a bit. Try reducing your number of fast days (and eat reasonably on those nonfast days) and see what happens.

I am going back to five and two this week, but on my five days I will eat more than the usual 1200 calories and see how it goes. Will keep you updated. The book does say you can fast on alternate days, but as I found three days fast too hard, I will stick with the five and two.

I watched Michael Mosley’s TV programme on the BBC and I thought that the whole point was not to do the diet on more than one day in a row? Surely, if you do it on continuous days, you risk going into starvation mode and changing your metabolism? Moderation in all things, as some ancient Greek said, is surely the best way?

I think definitely the body goes into starvation mode with more than one day at a time. I struggle just to get through one day on 500 calories a day, I think I’d be dead after 5 days. I think 5:2 means 5 days’ normal eating; 2 days’ fasting, not the other way round. That is just too damaging and would have the opposite effect.

Thanks everyone. I did find that when I did 3 fast days and was careful on the other days I did lose a bit more. I am going to do the alternate days and see how it goes. I am losing weight and in last 7-8 weeks have lost half a stone not much but enough to keep me going. I’ve found some really good recipes which are now stable and helping get through the 500 days – it does get easier. The 500 days have not only helped me get to grips with portion control but tend to be v low fat, v low carb and I find that after ‘eat’ days my body isn’t happy with too much carb/fat. (I am/was a bit of a carb addict – any form of bread, potatoes, butter and cheese!).

I think you don’t go into starvation mode unto about 3 consecutive days. I may be wrong. Just keep at it. Its not a plan for wondrous results after two weeks. Its a long term health thing. So keep with it even for times the scales don’t seem to shift.

Symba7 You say that on non-fast days a woman should stick to 1800 calories. Where in the book does it say that ? It surely just says to eat ” normally “.I am quite amazed that so many comments contradict and/or conflict with each other !!

I agree with banana21. Everyone seems to have their own take on the diet. But in the book it says eat normal on 5 days and 500cals on 2 days. I will start on Wednesday and just follow what the book says. I’ll check back in in 2 weeks.

Banana21,

My TDDE, is 1877 which is what I eat to keep my weight as it is, so I need to go lower to loose my weight.

The two fast days help me to loose the 1 lb, if I keep eating above my TDDE I might as well not bother to do the 5.2!!!!

Everybody is different, some people are just doing it for health reasons but I need to lower my weight, if you are eating above your TDDE I believe the weight won’t come off.

No, the book says 2000 for women and 2500 for men…

Depends on your own TDDE!

And what excercise or no excerise you do, your age, height etc. 2000/2500 is a general guide, but I am less than that.

Look at the chart at the top right hand side of page, it may give you a more better idea for yourself.

Everybody is different.

Today is my fourth fast day. I started at 142.5lb then, after each fast day I’ve gone down to 140.5, but always back up to 142.5 on non-fast days. However, this morning I was 144!! I’m following the plan to a T so am very frustrated. I have 10lb to lose. Have any other 40-something women had a slow start?

@nic2014 Are you saying you are fasting for 5 days and eating normally on 2?

That isn’t what 5:2 means….it means fast – i.e. eat UP TO 500 cals on TWO non consecutive days and eat MORE than your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) and UP TO you TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) on the other five days. If you don’t know what your BMR and TDEE are there is a link at ‘how?’ at the top of this page.

If you are fasting on 5 days you are probably not eating enough and this can stop you losing weight.

It’s also not the best idea to weigh every day as your weight fluctuates and obvious will be lower after a fast day. I find that weighing once a week on the same day gives me a better idea of how my weight is going.

have a look at the ‘how?’ and ‘faq’ links on this page for more information.

xx

Hi sylvestra. Thanks for your thoughts. No, I’m eating healthily for 5 and fasting for 2, plus exercising 4 – 6 days a week. I read the book again this morning and I’m wondering if I should completely cut out diet drinks – I have no more than one per day – and even sugar-free chewing gum. Suppose it makes sense …

Oh for goodness’ sake this is getting silly. Can someone please write in BIG BLOCK CAPITALS across the homepage that this is not a faddy ‘see results straight away’ kind of diet.

Sorry Nic2014, it’s just frustrating answering the same question over and over again.

If you’ve only done 4 fast days then it’s WAY too early to see any kind of real trend. Some people come on and post “I lost 5lb on my first fastday” or similar and everyone else expects to see those results too but we’re all different and some people just wont see the scales move AT ALL for weeks, sometimes people actually put on a little weight to start with. It’s all fine, we’re all different.

This way of eating attacks your visceral fat first, if you have any. This means that quite often people will lose weight without seeing any external change. It also specifically helps with the conversion of fat to muscle (which weighs more than fat) so sometimes your weight will stay the same or even go up slightly at the beginning but you will notice yourself firming up or slimming down. And then there are those who have a bit of both going on at the same time.

If you’re happy with the lifestyle and you think you have a pattern down then just lock the scales in a cupboard or something for a month or so and weigh yourself once you’ve given it a chance.

This is not a ‘quick fix’ diet, you’ll do it for the rest of your life, in one
    form or another, once you’ve perfected your own version. So spend the next month experimenting and getting comfortable with it and forget about how many pounds you have or haven’t lost.

Agree with TracyJ, all very sensible advice there, please take note!!

you have to give it time, I didn’t loose anything for at least a month or so, plateauted, but I am keeping at it as its my way of life/eating now, and there will be ups and downs like TracyJ said…

I don’t weigh myself very often, I go my by clothes and how they feel 🙂 numbers will NOT rule me lol!!

good luck everyone!

Oh Tracy & Angie
    Yes! Needed to be said. When I started in january 2013 I watched the site for a few months, then when I got to 12 weeks and had great results posted. It is not a quick fix, and all this agonising over first days and every calorie consumed is not productive, and especially not for the person starting out.
    Please newbies, give it a few weeks and then judge or start to query what might not be working.
    Vicki

hear hear Vicki :-)!

You said what I was going to say Tracy!

I know it is disheartening if you don’t see results when you have tried hard and you hear about others losing but, like it’s been said before, everyone is different and it takes a while to get your head around the concept and you have to try and find what works for you.

The bottom line is that if you are eating less than you did before you should see a weight loss at some point. If you don’t manage to do a fast day on the 500 calories but have eaten less than you usually do, you should see a loss, maybe not as quickly, but it all helps.

The main thing is not to give up too easily. I lost a stone in 3 months but am now finding it harder to lose. I did put some on over Christmas and have now lost that but it’s a bit slow going at the moment but I am going to carry on.

Linda

Hi Linda – I know it’s disheartening when it starts to slow (especially when you’ve had amazing results early on) but you’ll get there, we all will. Just remember to re-do your TDEE count every time you lose significant weight and keep on truckin’. Slow & steady wins the race 😉

Been reading all contributions here with great interest. Been following the diet religiously for 6 weeks after my sister raved about how it helped her (she’s looking great!) . So far not a single pound lost and struggling to keep the faith! It feels like my jeans are a little looser but am wondering if that’s my wishful thinking. I am keeping up same gym levels as previously (twice weekly) so am not sure where going wrong. I am BMI 28 and around 1.5 stones overweight, aged 42. Please tell me something good will happen soon…!

Hi:

If you have been doing your two diet days properly for six weeks and have not lost weight, you must be eating too many calories on your non-diet days. Counting calories for a while might be in order.

This might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Hi simcoeluv,
    An interesting and informative reply, thank you, will proceed eating fewer calories on non-fast days and hopefully it will right itself 🙂

I think symba7 is right. There may be a 2:5 diet someday that is made to work but in the meantime only the 3:4 diet from Krista Varady was proven successful in studies. The The 5:2 diet is ok by way of anecdote but Dr. Varady’s version doesn’t cause the metabolism to slow down nor is muscle lost significantly like consecutive fast days. It is designed correctly as it is. Too much of a good thing can have many unintended consequences that can also be potentially be destructive.

I meant fast 3 days eat normal for 4 days ( 4:3 diet )

I am doing ADF, I am following the female guidelines of 2000 calories on eat days and 500 calories on fast days. In my first week I lost 13lbs, and in week 2, 7lbs. I find ADF is relatively simple because I know that on my fast day, the next day I can eat what I want again.

Across both eat and fast days, I try to eat little and often, and keep to a schedule which sees me eating at 7am,9am,11am,1pm,3pm,5pm,7pm and sometimes 9pm on eat days, and at 9am,11am,1pm,3pm,5pm and 7pm on fast days.

I must also stress that a big part of this for me is drinking plenty of water, usually upwards of 3 litres a day – seems to make a massive difference compared to when I have tried this diet on other occasions.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply.