Expected some weight loss?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Expected some weight loss?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mikeF00 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Hi , I’ve only been on the 5:2 about 10 ten days , in which time I’ve had 4 fast days. I know its not very long,but I was expecting some small weight loss? I am a male , 6’1″ 15 st 7 lbs. This weight has not budged at all, although do feel like I may have lost some weight. Can somebody explain ?

Hi Mike,

Have you been doing traditional 5:2 ie 600 calories on fast days and eating sensibly on non fast days?

If you have don’t worry as sometimes it takes a while for the scales to start moving.
    You could measure your waist and monitor that too as the tape often shows a difference when the scales haven’t budged.

Some make the mistake of thinking that eating whatever they want on non fast days means eating as much as they want, so it is important to ensure you aren’t overdoing it and undoing the good work of your fast days.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. I’m sure you’ll soon be reporting a loss.

Hi ,thanks for responding so quickly. Yes , I’m restricting myself to 600 calories. I would have thought may be a 1lb or something.?, but nothing.

I’ll have to check my intake again. I do Monday and Wednesday as the fast days, and whilst I don’t ‘go mad’ at the weekend – I have a few drinks and a few treats. Do you avoid things like this on ‘normal’ (non fasting) days ?

@mikef00 – there are lots of reasons why our weight doesn’t always reflect what is going on. For me it is shifts in exercise patterns and water. I weigh myself most days and the number one lesson from that is not to trust the scale alone. Use a soft tape and measure your body, measure your fat, or just make whatever measurements that allow you to track progress. Over the longer period the scale will show a difference but over very short periods it can be random. 10 days isn’t much time, at least in my case month to month changes are more meaningful.

After fasting this week I think I was 80.5kg, two day later I’m up to 84.1kg. I know from experience that is just water/food/whatever. Still if I just trusted the scale I might freak out. However I know my weight often varies 2kg within a single day. In fact it is actually very difficult for me to weight myself in a consistent fashion each day. My hydration is that variable.

If you are fasting and controlling your eating you will lose fat and eventually it will show. For me I’m slowly losing fat but I’m also trying to build muscle. I probably eat considerably more than most people here but I also avoid added sugar and processed foods in general. When I was allowing those I actually reached a point where I was always hungry and slowly getting fatter not eating that much, at least in terms of calories. What I eat is much more important than how much I eat, however I could easy overeat and still gain fat that way too. Sorry for being long winded, the point is you just have to figure out what works for you. It has taken me 4+ years to figure out what worked for me and I’m still learning.

To answer your question: In general I avoid the treats that make me fat even on non-fast days. After a year of 5:2 I’m finding that pretty easy. However, I sometimes allow myself a treat, I just eat a lot less of them than I used too and I’ve found other things I often eat instead. Alcohol is a tricky one, as it pretty directly leads to visceral fat, much like added sugar does for me. So if you are doing both booze and treats, that may be a lot more than you realize.

I also found too many treats were included on my non-fast days. I now confine them to the weekend and try to be moderate.

If you find your weight doesn’t shift I would recommend checking your TDEE and then looking at a couple of representative no-fast days to see if you are staying on or under that level on non-fast days. If you are regularly eating over your TDEE on non-fast days they can cancel out the calorie deprivation on your FDs.

Sorry , TDEE ?

Mike, click on the how it works tab at the top of the page and it gives you an explanation of TDEE and the means to work out what yours should be.

NB, people tend to over estimate how much exercise they do so opt for sedentary and you can’t go wrong.

Bear in mind it is an average and I use mine as the maximum I should eat on a non fast day (NFD)

@mike. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. Use it as a very rough guide only. I think Michael Mosley has done 5:2 a dis-service by saying you can eat “normally” on your non fast days. What people think is normal is very distorted. If you continue to eat normal and its a crap diet then you will struggle. I have a very simple rule. If what you are doing isn’t working then change it up. Doing more of the same will give you errrr, exactly the same result.

Get the vast majority of your carbs from veggies (no potatoes!!). Choose cruciferous veggies and veggies with lots of fibre. What to avoid. Avoid processed grain based products. No bread, pasta, pizza, biscuits, cakes, breakfast cereals (pure crap) etc. If it came from a grain don’t have it. No sugar, no fruit juice!!! You want fruit have whole fruit. Never dried fruit. Choose your tart type fruits, and berry type fruits. Never peel the skin off of apples or pears etc. The skin has all the insoluble fibre, the flesh has the soluble fibre. Eat healthy fats from avocados, nuts like brazil nuts, almonds, olive oil, butter, high fat low sugar yogurt. Never vegetable oils!! Pure crap. Eat beans, legumes. Great levels of protein and fibre. Eat a small amount of lean meats, fish, tuna.

Basically eat a Mediterranean diet which is basically plant based with some fish some meat some dairy and nuts beans and legumes.

Good luck it works it done correctly.

Mike,

This thread might be helpful, plus bearing in mind that none of us are experts and we are only offering ideas gained from individual experience and one suit does not fit all.

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Ok , thanks , sounds like its too early to start moaning. It seems many people have lost the weight admittedly quite slowly and in an unlinear way.

@mikef00 I am new at this myself, but in exploring a link for newbies I found this one regarding weight loss and thought of you. Hope it helps.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Welcome to the 5:2 forum, mike. If “a few drinks” turns into several, that can make losing weight more difficult. Alcohol is a ready and quick source of energy and your body will burn that before most of the food you eat. If you use soda or other type of mixers, be aware of the calorie content of those too, even the ones that aren’t sweet, like tonic water.

@mikef00 you do have to figure out what is right for you. You diet that you do eat is important. The fasting does provide some freedom but it doesn’t stop a poor diet from doing its damage. (Not trying to say your diet is poor, I know very little about it.)

Anyway, it takes time. Many people that are heavier tend to lose around a pound a week on this diet. I’m closer to 1/3 pound now a week now, but I’m working on building more upper body strength which tends to make one heavier.

Also weight can go up and down a lot. A few days ago I was 80.5kg and today I was up to 85kg. No way I gained 4.5kg of fat in a few days, that is probably just water and food waste and it is a lot of it.

Best of luck in finding your way, but lots of people can provide advice. Only you can be sure of what works for you. For many of us avoiding sugar really helps. However in my case I eat a lot of fruit, not so much other sweets though. Unlike bigbooty I do eat some dried fruit, mostly for sweetening oatmeal. I’m very cautious of fruit juice though. Many because I can drink a lot more fruit than I can eat. The point is we are all different. You just have to find what works for you.

Hi, pleased to report that after 3 weeks of 5:2 , I have lost 2lb.
    Hopefully , just the start.

P.s has anybody else noticed that they never get near the 2400 calore limit (for men) ? Even if I ‘let myself go’ – bit on those days, I still only get to 2000( ish).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.