Eating under TDEE on non-fasting days: better for weight loss or not?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Eating under TDEE on non-fasting days: better for weight loss or not?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Today was supposed to be my feast day, after a 48h on 400 calories (approaching the end of the 3rd week of 4:3). My TDEE should be around 1800-2000, but I’m really struggling to eat as much. 3 weeks ago I was emotionally over-eating, probably 2500-3000 calories a day, but now it is like my body is craving less food.

Went out with husband for a sandwich and coffee–500 calories total. That was 6 hours ago. Not hungry at all. I could increase my calories in a heatlhy way with some nuts, seeds, dark chocolate (my treat for myself on some of the feast days), greek yogurt. But I also would like to optimize my weight loss.

Does the weight loss work faster if I alternate between higher calories and fasting? Or lower calories on feast days are to my advantage? I hear contradictor advice all the time. 500 calories a day and my body will hold on to the fat vs lower calories are lower calories and the less calories the faster weight loss. So wich one is it?

Also, can’t believe how full I’m on the 500 calories today and how easy this second in a row “fast” day is going. I might have a fruit smoothie tonight and half a cup of plain yogurt, but even that would only add 170 calories.

(I’m 40 female, 6′ tall, 208lb. Lost 5lb in the last 11 days, been on the 5:2 for a week and 11 days on 4:3).

Hello again gw
    Only eat what you feel like UP TO your TDEE. NEVER force feed yourself! You are supposed to be adjusting how and what you eat through this process.

And calculate your TDEE on your goal weight (middle of healthy range for your height), not your current weight. Get used to eating the amount you will for the rest of your life, not what you’ve been eating to stay your current weight. For your height, 500 cals is probably ok. But feel free to eat less, and less often. It will speed the process. ☺ PVE

Thank you, PVE!

I didn’t know I had to calculate TDEE for my projected weight. It makes more sense.

Great. I’ll have a normal eating day tomorrow, as today I’m feeling absolutely fine on what I ate and going to bed soon already.

Thanks again for replyint to my questions!

I’m confused. I went to the TDEE calculator again. With my current weight, 208lb, my TDEE is 2300. With my goal weight, wichi is 165lb, my TDEE is 2100.

I entered “light activity” as they say we over estimate how active we are. I do a 30 min work out every day.

First of all, I can’t imagine eating more than 1500-1800 on regular days.

Second, only 200 calories difference between my current weight and the projected weight???

I used 72 kg (118 lbs)as your ideal weght. I’d go for 2000 cals per day. My OH is just under 70 kg, after dropping from 100 and he uses 2000.
    Be sure you calculate absolutely everything you eat, initially to be really honest about consumption 😆
    All the best. PVE

Hi 165 and welcome:

As the lowest reasonable TDEE you and PVE came up with is about 2000, and you say you can’t imagine eating over 1800 cal. in one day, you are ready to go. You will be eating 500 cal. twice a week and 1800 for the other five days and you should enjoy a nice weight loss over time.

TDEE numbers are only estimates. If you want to lose weight, you should eat as little as possible. The reason to use goal weights and lower exercise levels when computing TDEE is to be as certain as possible that if a person eats around their ‘TDEE’ for five days a week they will lose weight. If they use a higher estimate and it is wrong, too high, then they will not lose weight or lose only slowly, get disheartened and quit.

People that suggest you should eat ‘more’ on non diet days mistakenly believe there is such a thing as a ‘starvation mode’, which they claim slows down the metabolism because of ‘under eating’ and leads to stalled or little weight loss. However the starvation mode is a myth – see the FAQ above on the subject.

The less you eat, the more you lose!

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

PVE:

72 kg (158lb, not 118! I know it is a typo lol) could be my ideal weight, I calculated as 165, as 158 is pretty skinny on me.

So the idea is that if I consume under 2000 I won’t be losing as fast? Or is it not healthy?

My friend also thinks that I miscalculate when I say I’m full on 1200 calories and can’t eat anymore, but I’ve been really meticulous with the calorie counting (never counted before, so I’m actually having fun.) I even add extra calories, in case I miscalculate.

Today it was exacty 500, per the company’s web site, as I ate out.

Thank you, Simcoeluv. Yes, I’ve read all kind of things about the “starvation” mode, and I was worried about it.

I’m pretty sure my calorie intake will vary and will balance out throughout the week, and not every day will seem like I’m full on just one sandwich and coffee, but I guess I’ll take it for now as a good sign that I’m not over eating.

I’ve been eating very healthy already (low carb, no added sugar, berries, no high glycimic fruits, lots of veggies) for years, but in the last two years due to injuries and emotional stuff been just eating too much and moving less. Too much of healthy stuff is still too much and I gained over 40lb.

Maybe my body knows I made a commitment to finally losing weight, and it doesn’t want to over-eat anymore!

Simcoe and I are in accord on this. Eat less, and less often, and you WILL lose weight and change your life. Win. Win. 😊 Cheers PVE

well thats a revelation! I had no idea we should calculate Tdee on our goal weight! I’ll definitely sort that out in a mo! I started 5.2 5 weeks ago and lost 10lbs plus 3ins off my waist. I have counted calories in the past so I know how much Im eating on NF days. I’m on a fast day tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what a quarter of my new Tdee will be! It’s 460 cals at the last calculation! I’ll have be very vigilant about couting my calories, I tend to fast from my evening meal until my evening meal on my past day, with a cup of home made bone broth at about 1pm.
    Can someone advise me on the sorts of fats I should consume on non fast days please. I’ve been low fat for so long this is new, I have started to drizzle a little cold pressed olive oil on my salads and have a tsp of coconut oil on non fast days.
    thankyou in anticipation!

165gw,

A couple of things I noted. You mentioned fruit smoothies and chocolate. They are a big No. Both will result in insulin spikes and that will put you into fat storage mode. If you have fruit make sure it is whole fruit, never into smoothies and never dessicated/dry fruit. Chocolate is great for weight gain so that’s one that you’ll have to drop as well.

You do not have to eat up to your TDEE. Just don’t go over. Stop when you feel full. Be mindful about eating sugar and simple carbs like bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes. Eat these staples very sparingly!!

Hi Rocy,

I eat a lot of cheese, almonds, walnuts, avocados for my fat intake. Some olive oil in my salads as well.

So does this mean I need to burn this amount every day to lose weight? Tdee I mean? Sorry I’m a bit confused by this xxx

Hi Amigos,

TDEE is a calculated guess at the amount of energy you use per day for your lifestyle. If you stick to that figure for 5 days and fast for 2 days having 500-600 calories depending on whether you are male or female you should lose around 1lb/0.5kg per week.

Your body will burn a certain amount of calories if you lay on the sofa every day, and if you look at the results of your calculation it will be stated as BMR.
    You don’t need to worry about how much energy you are expending if you stick within the calorie guidelines.

Read the FAQs available via the link at the top of the page and read Simco’s advice for newbies. The link is in his post higher up the page. Hopefully you’ll have a better understanding of IF after you’ve done so.
    Good luck 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.