Does BMI measurement need more research?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Does BMI measurement need more research?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  diverdog 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• At the age of 80 plus I have been on the fast diet since the beginning of the year and have lost about 35lbs and 4″ round the waist. However when I come to calculate my BMI I am shown as ‘obese’ which I don’t think I am. The problem arises when I enter my height as being 5’7″ (170cm) which sadly it now is compared with the height of my younger days which was 6’1 1/2″ (187 cm). If I relied on the current calculations I would fade away completely before reaching a satisfactory BMI. My waist has lost 4″ (10 cm) and now measures about 100cm., that is standing up. Lying flat on the floor it loses another 5cm or so. OK there is still more to lose, but it is a bit dispiriting to try and compare where I am at my age with figures that seem to cater for a younger age group. Can anybody cheer me up?

I am guessing that you have spinal issues which have caused your loss of height.
    Have you thought about calculating using the TDEE calculator found on the how it works link at the top of the page and using your original height. That should give you a much better idea of what your BMI actually is as it takes your age but not your waist measurement into account.

Thanks Amazon for that suggestion. I have followed the instructions and am pleased to say that my BMI has now dropped to 24.7 which merely means that I am overweight! It does give me a more attainable target to aim to. Just hope I live long enough to do it.

In 2013 I had a professional assessment of my enire body courtesy of BUPA , the consultant measured my body index by MRI and electrical conduction . On discussing the results she told me that I would not have a low BMI due to my bone and muscle density ,at the time I was 236lbs and I am 5 feet 11 inches tall my Bmi was 33 .currently following the 5:2 diet for the last three years to lose and maintain my weight I am 214 lbs( 15 stones 4.6 lbs) my BMI stands at 30.6 that is after a weight loss of 1stone 7 lbs yet according to all health assessments I classed as clinically obese . I admit I am trying to lose a few more inches from my waist which is 38 inches but I have a 49 inch chest that in three years has not lost half an inch .should I be worried ?.

BMI is a guideline but it doesn’t account for a lot of factors. Last year my BMI was still about 28 but my doctor wasn’t concerned anymore. Now my BMI is right around 26. When I started my BMI was well over 30. Even though I don’t put that much faith into BMI there is a huge difference between 30 and 26 for me.

These days there tends to be a lot more focus on mid-section measurements. Don’t measure yourself around the thinnest part, the measure should be where your belly button is. That should be well below 40″ (100cm) to be safe. One rule of thumb I’ve heard that seems to make sense is it shouldn’t be anymore than 1/2 of your height if you want to be in the low risk category. So if you are 5’10” that means it shouldn’t be more than 35″.

@bandersnatch – you’ve made it past 80! To a large extent you’ll already beat the odds. I’m not sure why you care about BMI. It does sound like you could afford to lose some more weight but clearly your weight hasn’t killed you yet. I suspect a low BMI at your age wouldn’t be as healthy as a slightly higher one.

BMI is only a general guideline at best. Body fat percentage is a much better indicator. Two people at the same height, weight and BMI can have vastly different BF %. Many older folks that look rather thin and have a good BMI are actually fat because they have lost so much muscle due to a sedentary life style. Strength athletes with lots of muscle may have a bad BMI when in fact they are quite lean. If you want to know if you are carrying a healthy amount of fat get a BF measurement.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.