Dizziness

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  NattyNeika 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi I’ve been on 2:5 since Easter with nothing but good effects but today I keep feeling dizzy. I’ve done a 1 hr Zumba Class and only had 2 poached eggs for lunch following no brakfast. Blood pressure 139/79 HR 61 so this shouldn’t be causing it.

Bit concerned about low blood sugar. Any ideas??

cheers

Hello, Aragon – In the ‘faq’ section – my latest favourite toy – Michael M states as follows, in reply to the question ‘Will I feel faint or shaky?’ : “People think that after several hours without food they will feel faint because their blood sugar has fallen, but this is a myth. Unless you are a diabetic you body is extremely good at preserving your blood sugar levels and will do so for many days without food.”
    Could it be that the Zumba class was too hot or so much fun that you put in 110% too quickly or for too long? Were you turning or tipping your head around a lot as you danced, thereby upsetting your inner-ears’ balance mechanism? Perhaps you needed more fluids or mineral salts? Or, perhaps even, the dizziness comes from something unconnected to your eating pattern that day? How’s it going now? Take care and monitor the issue as you have been doing. Hopefully, the dizziness has passed and it was just a one-off. Best wishes to you.

I do not have dizziness while fasting, but in week 6 I fasted for a bit longer into the next day and then had a big meal for lunch. I became very dizzy when I stood up about 30 minutes after I had finished eating, and in fact felt I would faint. This has happened again in the current week (7), and I used a typical anti-fainting strategy of standing, crossing my feet and squeezing my thigh muscles together, as well as grasping my hands in front of me and pulling. I guess my blood flow is going for the digestive tract? I’ve never had much dizziness before, and never, of course while fasting. It’s curious, and I wonder if there is a strategy to avoid the dizziness.

Hi guys, I’m only into week two and I have been getting a bit of dizziness on my fast days (I don’t usually). I put it down to over exertion from the gym and not enough water to be honest. I worked out today and only felt faint once, and it was brief. I also fasted on a hangover and got dizzy, so I think alcohol intake before a fast will also do it.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I think I should have described it as ‘lightheadedness’. got it a bit at the mo. Zumba this morning, no lunch and about to eat my 400 cals meal. I think it might go away then!!!

Cheers again

Eating has improved things so I think you all right. More water to prevent dehydration and spreading my calories a bit more will probably sort it.

cheers All

Hi there

I have just started the fast diet and I have completed my two fast days back to back, (I plan to do them Mondays and Thursday in future but decided to try 2 days in a row first week for the challenge/experience).To my surprise after finishing my two fast days I was amazed that I woke not feeling hungry. Upon arriving at work I have eaten a bacon sandwich with mushrooms on brown bread and have felt light headed and dizzy since. Has anyone else experienced something similar or is it unrelated, I would have expected to feel light headed on the fast day not on a normal day.

Hello mike.

When i started the diet, i did just like you: 2 days ina row with zero calories.
    Following the first food in more than 48 hours, i felt a bit dizzy and unwell.
    I only recovered completly in the next day.

Regards

Joao Pedro

Thanks, will this go in time?

This is my first none fast day and its strange how my view on food had already changed… I did not really enjoy my food as much as I normally would, it all seemed so excessive… I feel guilty about what I have eaten n feel like this can’t possibly work and maybe I should fast again tomorrow… V strange diet this one, can see how it could work. Bmi weighing scales arrive tomorrow so will get a good idea where I am at

I sometimes feel dizzy on fast days and suspect it relates to a lack of salt (and fluid) rather than sugar – Because you’re eating very pure food – even bread and cereal have added salt – and very little food during the day. If I feel like this I have a drink of chicken stock – i.e. large mug made up with a stock cube 13kcal. Tastes amazingly good on a fast day and also staves off hunger. However I wouldn’t drink it all day – that would be too much salt.

This is the 5th time I have fasted with my fast days being Monday and THursday. I felt dizzy and light headed for the first time since starting the plan. My food today which is 500 cals was vegetable juice at 11ish, noon I had cottage cheese,small plum, lots of water all day.
    When I felt the dizziness, it was an hour before my dinner, but decided to have my dinner early. Which was 2 little cubes of cheese and 2 whole grain cracker, broccoi, onion and shrimp stir fry with two slices of tomato.
    I feel a little better, but not totally.
    I am not sure it is the diet. Will keep a monitor on it. This did not happen the other 4 fast days,and on my regular days I ate what I wanted, which was pretty good meals.

This can be a problem if you are taking an antihypertensive (lowering high blood pressure tablet) so engage your Dr. Mine has advised me to keep taking half my tablet twice daily for a 2 week period then a half daily for the next 2 weeks,then seeing her, all the time taking my BP on a daily basis. I too have had periods of dizziness (postural hypotension) getting up suddenly and feeling faint.This also happened to me when I had an abnormal growth spurt as a teenager.
    My Dr has asked me to get my blood test done 3 months from 16th May when I started 5:2 diet. My GP Dr is really interested in how I am going. My BP has lowered for the 1st time in ages.
    So far I have lost about 4-5 kg.
    My mood has improved and I feel I will be bypassing Seasonal Affective Disorder (I live in Tasmania) this winter. (i have had some episodes of depression in my life).
    Hormonally I am entering menopause and feel more stable and “Bright” than I’ve felt in ages. And I had a period for the first time in a year! (mind you there are other reasons for this, I know but I wonder….)
    I no longer feel like (or look like) “Galloping death”, when walking up hills and my breast bone no longer burns, and I am no longer abnormally puffy.
    I look forward to my 500 cal days (Monday Thursday) as I love the effect on me!
    I will be very interested as to the effect on public health, and the implications re the economies of western nations, aged care,dementia, obesity etc ( A longitudinal study is in order I would think…)
    Overall I am impressed! Mosley should get a Knighthood! and all those American researchers Nobel Prizes.
    Me and my thinning legs!
    Yours from a grateful Tasmanian!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.