Different allowance

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi, does this work if you play around with daily allowance. For example my daily allowance is 2187 = 12029 ( 5 days @ 2187, 2 @ 547). If I changed those figures to say 2 days @ 600-700 and the rest spread out over the remaining 5 days, so the total during the week was the same. (Hope this makes sense) would it still work.

Target,

I’m not sure why you want to eat more on your fast days, and less on your non-fast days?

5:2 works just fine as it is, you know (which is probably why it’s such a massively successful brand 🙂 ). It’s calorie restriction for two days a week only, and the ‘normal’ 5 days make it very doable. What you propose is some level of calorie restriction every day, which starts to sound like every other type of restrictive diet that people generally start but don’t stick to long-term! There really is no need to fiddle around with 5:2, just do it by the book, and for ever.

However, if you think your version of this massively successful diet might be better, the best (and probably only) way to find out if it works is to try it. If you lose weight, it’s working!

Everyone’s different, and finds what works for them through personal experimentation, but most do start with basic 5:2. Why not just give it a go and see how you get on first before you start changing it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Happynow, thank you for your frank replay. Firstly I am not trying to rewrite the success of this approach, it was purely a question. I suppose it stems from lifelong conditioning of restrictive intake each day.

Apologies as it seems as if I have offended.

No, I’m not offended! I was just pointing out that 5:2’s success suggests it’s a tried and tested method for weight loss (and then maintenance) and there really is no need to change it.

I lost 30lbs in early 2014 and have been the same weight (about 130lbs) for over a year now. And I know people who’ve been fasting for longer and have lost more than that. It really does work!

It sounds like you’ve been a life-long dieter? You will need to try and unlearn some of those bad and unhelpful dietary habits! This really isn’t about daily restriction.

If I was you, I’d just try it by the book for a while and get the hang of it, and see how it goes. You can do more fast days (every other day, if you want) or less (even one day a week will help, if you can’t fit in two for any reason). And you can eat less on a fast day (some people eat nothing as they find it easier than trying to eat a little).

So there is flexibility. But it sounds like you just need to forget other diets, and focus on getting into the habit of fasting twice a week, before you start playing around with it.

There are a few active threads here (look at popular, or active), with plenty of people with large amounts of weight to lose and long histories of dieting. Any of them will be more than happy to share their experiences and advice with you, and there’s always someone to talk to and support you. Why not have a look at mid 50s or Fat Busting Brits for example, or Aussie Determination (if you’re in the SH!).

Hi Target,

I agree with Happy. I’ve been a yo-yo dieter for forty years and tried every diet there is. They have all failed as I went back to my old eating habits and regained the weight every time. 5:2 has been a revelation. I’ve lost nearly five stones and have a target of a six stone loss. Being able to eat normally on non fast days took a while for me to get my head round, as did remembering that it meant eating within my TDEE and not the way that got me to obese and miserable.
    I started with standard 5:2 and lost three stones over seven months which included a month off when I was on holiday.
    Since then I took a long break (8 months) and gained 18lbs then started again last August when I lost 28lbs in 14 weeks by doing an average of three FDs per week. Progress has been slow this year for various reasons but I’m not bothered by it as fasting is now second nature and I know the weight will continue to come off if I keep at it.
    It is a way of life for me and I’ll be doing it forever. It has helped me to rid myself of lifelong bad habits and poor food choices. I still over-indulge occasionally but an extra FD is an excellent remedy. Not counting calories daily is in my opinion what makes this way of eating so easy to stick with in the long term.

Try doing 5:2 as prescribed for a while and once you have got used to it you can adapt it to suit your needs.

Good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.