December Small Group Accountability Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
December Small Group Accountability Challenge

This topic contains 89 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  xamos 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 51 through 90 (of 90 total)

• UPDATED: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1xNaaB6FiX2em93hbx_BJWZh9mnHclCCoTCI4bq8V0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the advice Lany and J-ray! I had a conversation with hubby about it. He does know about my fasting but as far as he is concerned I’m always talking about some diet and exercise thing so it was just in one ear and out the other before. I made a point to say it was important and I’ve just sent him a reminder that I am fasting today. It’s so nice to have a plan for a point of weakness. And a major one at that!

Way to go on the run J-ray. Impressive!

Hi everyone, hope we’re all doing well!

I’m back from Rome now, today was supposed to be my first fast day back but it seems I’m struggling to exit holiday mode now I’ve entered it – eeek!

@j-ray – Yep I’m from England 🙂

@willworkforhealth – Thank you! Glad to hear you’ve had a chat with your hubby, maybe if you make sure he knows on a weekly basis which days you’re fasting, he’ll know those days are non-food-love kind of days? Do you guys have a calendar on your fridge or similar? Maybe mark your fast days on there so he can check out your schedule 🙂

Update for me:

Dec 7: NFD
    Dec 8: NFD
    Dec 9: NFD
    Dec 10: NFD
    Dec 11: NFD
    Dec 12: NFD

Nearly a whole week off.. oops.. back on the wagon on the 14th I promise!

I’m afraid I’m bowing out for the rest of this month… would love to join again in January if this group is around again then 🙂

Best of wishes to you all over the holiday season, thanks for running this WWFH!

Day 10 & 11 NFD – really over TDEE
    Day 12 FD 250cals
    Day 13 NFD will aim for much better self control-silly season is taking its toll on my willpower/wontpower on the NFDs but FD was still well under control and feeling good

Day 10 = NFD
    Day 11 = NFD
    Day 12 = FD
    Still on course. Scales stuck as usual but trying not to think about that!

Day 9: FD
    Days 10 – 12: NFDs.

Too many treats at the weekend. Will be working on it this week though! Not long to go until all the festivities, would ideally like to keep cool about the nice food. Can’t wait for a zumba bootcamp (7th of Jan).

Day 23 = NFD
    Have eaten badly today — my calories are at about 700 so far (haven’t had dinner yet) but those calories were incurred by eating 2 pieces of chocolate cake. Dinner will be sensible, but this isn’t like me!

Day 13, nfd
    Day 14, nfd

Today was going to be a FD but I received potentially poor results from my son’s medical tests last week and promptly ate three chocolate chip cookies. Argh. Part of what I am trying to do with fasting is getting out of the habit of eating my feelings. Working through them now. Worrying never added a day to anyone’s life.

Day 14 NFD
    Day 15 FD

J-ray I hope your sons results get clarified for you soon and that there is not anything serious happening.
    I completely respect your intentions to not eat your feelings but if there’s anything that can tip a mother over the edge of her good intentions it has to be fear and worry for her children.
    I’m sure we will all be thinking positive thoughts for you and hoping you have some answers before Christmas.

I’m off to work, it’s supposed to be summer here but forecast for rain and wind today and tomorrow so I might as well be inside.

Second post
    I’ve had a big struggle today-I’ve completed my fast with less than 1/4 TDEE but have barely manage to claw my way through it…and for the first time in a very very long time I have chosen to do no exercise at all on a week day????!!!! Just couldn’t find the energy, which honestly never happens, even when I’m shattered I just don’t give myself permission to do nothing. I have no idea what happened to me today????
    At least 4 times today I’ve almost caved and eaten the mass of baking and treats in the staff room at work, the only thing that stopped me was knowing I’ve never failed a fast day and I’m too scared to allow myself to fail one now in case it becomes a pattern and I feel some sort of mental permission to break my planned fasts going forwards.
    I’m seeing great progress in my clothes and that helps motivate me too…plus I’ve splurged on NFDs recently and I know the next two weeks won’t be any better.
    I’m taking heart in having two rigorous fasts still every week hoping that the excesses on NFDs will be somewhat mitigated.
    It’s likely this month will be a maintenance month in terms of loss…. I hope, but I’m almost sure it won’t be a real decrease in size or weight.
    The one accomplishment I feel so far is I’m not anxious about Christmas treats, previously I’ve had some funny feelings about food and lots of guilt attached to eating. If nothing else this months 5:2 wol has given me a feeling of better control and less self loathing.

UPDATED
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1xNaaB6FiX2em93hbx_BJWZh9mnHclCCoTCI4bq8V0/edit?usp=sharing

@karlanz – thanks for the update and sorry to see you go! Hope you have a great rest of the year and perhaps we will see you in January.

@xamos welcome back

@j-ray sorry to hear it. I hope that everything turned out well and that you take care of yourself, too.

@lany36 you likely already know this but I find that my success in FDs is directly correlated to eating foods with high nutritional value on NFDs. That said, I completely agree on the Christmas treat mind shift!

Amazing to see so many hanging in there and continuing to make our health a priority in a holiday month! We should be proud of ourselves for that!

Day 16 17 18 all NFD
    Quick check in for the weekend – don’t know if I’ll make 1.4kg loss this month as I wanted to but I am down 0.4kg as of today so that’s a lovely reward after my struggle with yesterday’s fast.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone, I’m away to a Christmas picnic tomorrow – probably hard for you Northern Hemisphere folk to imagine but Christmas is picnic and BBQ season for me.

Days 13-14: NFDs.
    Day 15: FD.

With all the excitement around the festive season it is VERY difficult to stay “good”.
    Planning on fasting today.

Good luck to everyone.

Day 14 = NFD
    Day 15 = FD
    Day 16 = NFD

Still stuck on and yo-going around, my plateau. Very very frustrating, since it’s been like this for nearly 6 weeks. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Day 17 NFD
    Micky42 if you are getting in both FD have you made sure you are getting your full TDEE on the other days?

I’m sure you already know that one of the reasons intermittent fasting works is that the NFDs make sure our bodies don’t go into calorie conservation or ‘starvation’ mode.
    Sometimes I’ve been guilty of feeling that if a little bit of something is good then a lot is better-which when applied to fasting meant being too vigorous with restriction on NFDs …which stresses the metabolic system too much instead of just enough.
    What I’m wondering is do you need a small window of refeeding to get the weight moving down again?
    Maybe this isn’t an issue for you but just wondered if it might be helpful to shift your plateau into a downward trend again.

Day 15, fd
    Day 16, nfd

Test results came back stable! My son has a chronic disease we have to monitor, so thankful for nothing getting worse or needing additional testing. What a difficult three days it’s been, WHEW!

Great news, J-ray! So happy for you.

Day 16: FD.

Would like to share a really positive feeling I had today after stepping on the scales. I was expecting to see nothing exciting but had a good weight loss. I guess this is to compensate for last week’s weighing in.

Overall I would say I am a big fan of 5:2. It no longer feels like dieting, I am now used to fasting. I eat less during NFDs. I miss zumba and weekends still need tweaking but overall: impressed!

Days 17-20: NFDs.

Have a great week everyone.

Ughhhhhh.. really haven’t been sticking to the program recently. Managed to drag myself kicking and screaming back onto the wagon and completed a successful fast day yesterday.

Glad to hear your son’s okay J-ray, also pleased you managed to stay grounded during a stressful time.

Had a few more NFD’s than planned:

Dec 13: NFD
    Dec 14: NFD
    Dec 15: NFD
    Dec 16: NFD
    Dec 17: NFD
    Dec 18: FD

Does anyone else find that during a fast day you day-dream about all sorts of lovely food.. then when it comes to a non-fast day you can do without?

UPDATED:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q1xNaaB6FiX2em93hbx_BJWZh9mnHclCCoTCI4bq8V0/edit?usp=sharing

@j-ray so glad to hear it!

My baby came down with croup and we had a scary emergency room visit Saturday night. I inhaled a box of Christmas cookies the next day. Ah well, the week otherwise went very well and baby is on the mend. I’ve found that lack of sleep and stress are major sugar triggers for me. So I’ve been countering that with reading all about why sugar is harmful and addictive. Interesting fact: in a study, rats were made addicted to cocaine but when later presented with the choice of cocaine or sugar – they chose sugar!

Day 19 FD
    J-ray and wwfh I’m so pleased both of your children are ok. As a mother myself I sympathise completely with the overwhelming feelings that fear for our children creates and im so glad both of you can move forward into Christmas with healthy families.

Xamos- that’s exactly what I do too. So funny you bring it up, I was sitting last night on Pinterest imagining what sort of delicious Christmas baking my daughter and I would do today and how much I would enjoy it after maintaining my fast yesterday. I even held strong while she and a friend made gingerbread houses in my kitchen, but definitely inhaled plenty of those good smells (there’s no calories in smell is there???lol)…today is here and it’s a NFD…and I’m not hungry or interested in baking at all.

@tanchora I feel the same way about 5:2, it feels so sustainable! I really like how it’s set up in a 7 day framework, miss a day, there’s always next week, as opposed to sticking to something super restrictive 24:7.

@xamos I often don’t resist the deliciousness that nfd allows, at least this month. Holiday parties everywhere!

@lany36 good for you with being so good sticking to it .. this is responding to last week but my energy level was way down too and I exercised a lot less, and this weekend just didn’t get the chance to. Then today I ran my fastest 4.5 mile run ever, sometimes, our bodies just need to rest and repair. It’s actually a core tenet of the 5:2! I signed up for a tough muddle next April, I’m looking forward to starting training now so I can build slowly and take the necessary rest when my body needs it.

@wwfh oh no croup is the worst and SO scary! So glad baby is better! Man we could have cheers’d each other with milk and cookies and gratitude. Sick kids, especially when it seems something could be really wrong, is so stressful.
    ONE thing is that even though my second fast day last week was a bit busted (wine at the company Xmas party), Friday, Saturday and Sunday I ate no breakfast, very light lunch, snacked little and just enjoyed a good dinner. And alcohol. I feel a lot more control over the seasonal uptake in calories, really nice! I think this will be a month, no loss, maybe a slight gain over last month.
    Day 17, 18 nfd
    Day 19, FD, a good hard run, and feeling great (finally)!

@lany36 I’m glad I’m not the only one! I’m back home for the holidays now and my dad’s girlfriend offered to buy everyone a kebab for dinner last night.. It was a fast day so I had to decline! That was a test. I was then daydreaming about huge dinners and lovely breakfasts all evening 😛 This morning I woke up pretty hungry so I had a poached egg with beans on toast, well worth the wait.

@j-ray yep I’ve got that all to come very soon! Plenty of treats about now.

Update:

Dec 19: NFD
    Dec 20: FD

Congratulations everyone on the hard work 🙂

Day 20: NFD.
    Day 21: FD.
    Day 22: NFD.

Day 20 21 22 NFD
    Day 23 FD

Abandoned a fast for the first time yesterday. All the work goodies from patients and other staff just overwhelmed me but I consciously chose to turn it into a NFD at 12.30pm and made today my fast instead which has been completely successful

Next two days will be NFD. Will aim to be careful tomorrow but Christmas Day is definitely not for counting calories

Quick update..

Dec 21: NFD
    Dec 22: FD

My sister is back today so I’m hoping I can maintain my fast days while she’s visiting.. lets see how it goes. Fast Day yesterday was really successful, nice and busy so went by smoothly.

Day 17= NFD
    Day 18 = NFD
    Day 19 = FD
    Day 20 = NFD
    Day 21 = NFD
    Day 22 = FD (and my anniversary !)
    Day 23 = NFD

Sorry it’s been so long since my last check in. Honestly, I’ve been quite frustrated and didn’t want to talk about it! My yo-yoing plateau had been going on for 6 weeks, despite my consistory very good (no not perfect, but very good) efforts Every Single Day. Just couldnt find anything helpful to say here.
    Today the scale has moved back down a bit more, and is (just slightly) under 200 lbs for the first time in years. Well done, me!
    I will soldier on, as I know we all are trying to do. Good luck everyone!

Day 24 = NFD
    Christmas Eve in our house; hoping to make it through without too many treats. Sending holiday wishes to all here.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Days 23-26: NFDs.

Trying to fast today (at work).

Wish me luck. In a way looking forward to feeling lighter.

Day24 25 26 nfd
    Day 27 fd
    Will break fast at about 38hours today. Really needed it after three very relaxed nfd which is the way Christmas should be but it’s time to get back on track now.
    Can’t decide yet if tomorrow or Friday will be my second FD this week, all I know is it has to happen during the week, weekends just aren’t an option and I’m fully committed to maintaining my 5:2.
    2017 is on the way and I’m determined to lose the rest of what I gained in 2016, it won’t be gone before the year is over but I feel really certain i have to stick to the wol even in the silly season to make sure I reach my goal

Merry Christmas all!

Day 20-25 – NFD
    Day 26, FD

I’m going to finish out the month 5:2, and then probably transition to 6:1 since I started half marathon training and will soon combine that additional strength for a spring tough mudder. Today I did a hilly 6 miles (almost 700′ elevation gain), after fasting yesterday and it completely wiped me out, almost like I had done strength training. I’ll probably shoot for a Thursday or Friday fast day this week like you Lany; part of me wants to throw in the towel but at least exercise wise it felt good to get back into the saddle again! Fasting yesterday was difficult because my spouse is off work this week and home – I found I did much better fasting when he was on business travel.
    I’ll most likely finish out December what I started out weight wise, which isn’t bad considering the quantity of cookies and eggnog ingested. 🙂 TDEE went completely out the window. Goal 90% met (I think I only missed 1 fast day this month) – not 100% but much farther than 0!

I got invited to do a 21 day fast in January and I’ve been trying to think about what that will look like! I think combined with 6:1, I’m going to completely cut out sweets, alcohol, and social media during that time. I think a lot of them do more intense fasting to the point of cutting out exercise, but diving into training plans I can’t afford that much time off fueling (and then I’m assuming there is a recovery period from that length of fast). Interestingly though, while not long ago I would have scoffed at the idea of fasting for that duration, I now see it as very doable!

Hope you all had/are having a good holiday!

Hi all – Merry Christmas!

I decided to sacrifice my fast days in favour of having a good Christmas with my family, unsure if I’ll get another fast day in before the New Year but I’m looking forward to starting 2017 equipped with the knowledge that I can fast and once I get into the swing of things I enjoy it.

@willworkforhealth – will you be doing this group again next month?

I’ll also be training for a half marathon so habits will be formed in 2017.

Dec 23-28: NFD’s

Many thanks for everyone’s support during this month 🙂 looking forward to completing January with you too!

I would like to join in if this is going next month. I will keep my eyes open for a new thread.

Day 28 NFD
    Day 29 FD
    Day 30 & 31 NFD
    Hi mystic
    Willworkforhealth has been the host of this group for the last couple months, we are limited to 12 people but quite a few seem to have dropped off so if she is continuing to manage the spreadsheet i suspect there will be space for you.
    If she decided she needs a break then one of us may step up to do it for a month as we all seem to get great support from each other.

I counted the people on the spreadsheet before asking. I tend to feel lost in large groups, so if you don’t mind an Aussie on board.. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback. I will see what happens in January. Happy new year!

Hi all,

I’m not sure if @willworkforhealth is doing this group again for January. I work a lot with google docs anyway so it wouldn’t be a problem for me to update the spreadsheet, I’ve just created practically a carbon-copy of this months spreadsheet which you can find here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CdCQODvRCLBPJEuMo_ZVoX81g0DrpRY9TVQmmzkGdlQ/edit?usp=sharing

I’m noticing a lot of activity on other threads with newcomers looking to kick-start the New Year. However I don’t want to step on @willworkforhealth‘s toes! If she comes back in a day or two I would be more than happy to step down. What do we all think? Would it be okay for me to start a new thread?

Hi xamos
    I’ve signed up to a January challenge with the thread I used to follow but it’s HUGE!
    I much prefer to stay with this smaller group if you are happy to continue the momentum and start a Jan thread if wwfh needs a break
    Thanks so much for offering. This support is so helpful and really makes a difference.
    I’m currently on day one of a 5day water fast hoping to reset my metabolism and begin 2017 with a renewed sense of dedication and some sustainable substantial losses.
    I’ve never done a full water fast for 36hours let alone 5 days but I feel really committed to making it work

Thanks again Xamos, I look forward to seeing who follows into 2017 on the thread

Hey @lany36 I think we’ve been looking at the same thread and you’re right it’s massive.. way too many people to keep up with. I’d be glad to carry on as like you say this group is a great support.

That’s fantastic news, I wish you the best of luck. I used to experiment with longer duration water fasts but it’s been a while since I’ve completed one, I used to have steely motivation for that kind of thing but it’s since dwindled somewhat. Do let us know how you get on and how you feel during/afterwards 🙂 I’d love to hear.

I’ve made a new thread and put you and @mystic onto the spreadsheet. Was Jan 1st your first FD?

See you over in the other thread 🙂

Hey everyone – so sorry for disappearing! Things have gotten considerably busy for me and I must bow out for now. Thanks for carrying on the flame @xamos!

Happy Fast Dieting to all. I will maybe see you in February. 🙂

Hey @willworkforhealth, no problem at all, I hope you’re good!

Thank you, see you soon and Happy New Year 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 51 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply.