Day one!

This topic contains 42 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Karate Kid 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

• Hi All

My name is Jane (surprisingly) I am 43 years old and just starting the 5:2 today! I have just had my lunch so not doing too bad so far! Hoping that this afternoon at work will go by quickly! I have previously done the Cambridge diet so I am used to the hunger pangs but hoping this will be more of a sustainable lifestyle change! I have a lot of weight to lose, 4st+ but as I say I am looking for a lifestyle change rather than a fad! Here’s hoping!

My first day too Jane! I have about 21lbs to lose and have tried lots of different diets/”lifestyle changes”. I lose a small amount, get bored and then put it on again! I am physically active but unfortunately, my mouth is pretty active too which often cancels out the work I do in the gym. After a summer of excess, I’m ready to start feeling healthy again. Good luck!

Keep thinking of it as a lifestyle change! Fads are short-lived and usually not sustainable. This is. You will find a lot of support here. Good luck!

Welcome to your first fast. It gets easier with every fast.

We’re both beginners then Chalkers – I have to admit my concentration at work is faltering a bit this afternoon!

Thank you TapGypsy and Ceedub – hopefully I’ll still be here next week!

If this is helpful, I started the end of May and have now lost 20 pounds and 24 inches overall. Along with my bust, waist, hips, and neck measurements. I also keep track of lower belly and thigh measurements. I’ve lost 5 inches from the belly alone! I think I’m more stoked about losing inches than losing pounds.

Hey everyone! I haven’t started this diet yet but I’m planning to start it next week. I’ve just ordered the books, wanted to start this week but unfortunately I will only be able to fast one of the days (which will ease me in) and I’ll start properly next week.

I’m looking to lose about 2 stone, it doesn’t sound like a lot but I really struggle with my diet. I go through phases of being good with diet/exercise but never last long enough to actually lose weight. I’m quite social and find it hard to cut out wine and fast food at the weekends although I’m going to try and be healthier even on my non fast days.

I’d love to hear from people who have started it recently and how they are getting on? Sounds like people are getting really great results! I’m also curious to know what people eat on fast days? I can skip breakfast easily but not sure I could fast all day and only have dinner so I think I’d need to have a small lunch and medium sized dinner?

Abi x

Well I have completed day one and knocked up 496 calories; however I haven’t accounted for my milk in my tea, not sure how to calculate it as I have such a minuscule amount, I have had 4 cups of tea and the amount probably adds up to one teaspoon of skimmed milk for the lot (yes it does make a difference to the taste! hahaha) I also have coffee black anyway. does anyone know the calorie count for a teaspoon of skimmed milk? haha

Also does the diet affect men and women differently? I can’t judge if people are male or female from their nicknames! Does age make a difference too?

There are 48-50 teaspoons in a cup. So divide the calorie count for one cup by that, I guess.

For the past month, on fast days I have water with lemon or Bragg’s vinegar, black coffee or tea and that’s it.

And I am female, 61 years old.

It’s my first day today too! I found it hard in the afternoon and now I’m in bed with a rumbling tummy, but I feel good that I managed it! I use myfitnesspal app to calculate my calories. You will be able to look up milk on there easily. Good luck and keep at it 🙂

How did everyone get on with their first day? I didn’t find fasting as difficult as I anticipated. I fasted all day at work as I was going out for dinner and it really wasn’t too bad. The problem was after I had dinner (pasta) I was still ravenous! I ended up going over my 500 by probably 150 calories because I was so hungry. Hoping I will sleep ok tonight as I’ve read some people saying it’s tricky to sleep after a fast day! Let me know how you all got on 🙂 X

Im 5 foot 6. Weigh 16 stone and miserable!! Im getting married next May and really dont want to look like a heffa in my amazing dress. I have piled on a few pounds recently and feel mega depressed about it. A girl in work is doing the 5:2 diet and she looks fab!! She even has a glow about her. I just need help. Where do I start?

I don’t know if it’s just me being slightly abnormal, I find fasting days easy; however eat like a pig on non-fasting days! I am planning another Fast day tomorrow and then next week start doing Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. I am hoping the piggy days will get less so as the time goes on and it becomes a lifestyle change (unlike when I have done the Cambridge!)

Kitty Kate – I just bought the books and then decided on a first day fast and went for it 🙂

Hi KittyKate!

I’ve just started as well, wanting to lose about a stone and a half – 2 stone. I am still learning a bit about it but I think the basic premise is that for 2 days out of the week you eat 500 calories, and the other 5 days you eat normally (within the 2000 calorie limit). I have found that I prefer to fast all day and have a more substantial dinner on fast days but I know others prefer to have a couple of small meals to make up their 500 calories on fast days. I went a little over my limit on my fast day yesterday but I’m determined to stick to it today. I will probably change my fast days to a Tuesday and Thursday.

Just Jane: I’m the same, my first fast day yesterday wasn’t all that bad…the problem is once I start eating I can’t stop! I’m starting off with 2 fast days but might do 3 once I get used to it.

I’m new to these forums but find everyone very encouraging! Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

Abi x

Hi Abi

Yeah this week is an odd one for me as I have other things going on so fitting in fast days around this is a bit problematic. I am definitely planning on three days a week, but we’ll see how it goes! I had rather a big consumption of vodka last night so feeling too sorry for myself this morning!!

I agree Abi, everyone is so encouraging!!!
    Right I am going to start tomorrow!! First fast day tomorrow!! I will probably need to have a few snacks a day. So would fruit for breakfast, homemade veg soup for lunch and Veggies for tea be ok? Or could I add some chicken to my tea?

Thanks lovelies xx

Just Jane, oh dear! I’ve been there before myself. My friend got a new job and we were celebrating yesterday, it took all my willpower to have ONE gin and soda yesterday when I could easily have drank a bottle of wine! The things we do to manage our weight!

KittyKate, nothing is off limits. As long as it’s within your calorie limit it’s fine! I think you can probably fit all of those into your allowance as long as it’s small portions. Trial and error!

Abi x

MY first fast day I skipped breakfast and had two corn cakes mid morning (25 kcal each) Then had half a pot of butternut squash soup (Sainsbury’s) which I added additional water to to make it more! (103 kcal) + two more corn cake thingies mid afternoon (25 kcal each ) then in the evening I had a ready made prawn and noodle soup thing (Sainsbury again 268 kcal) and then snacked on 3 slices of ham (21 kcal) and a small sugar free jelly (4kcal)

I am going to aim at having 300 kcal meals in the evenings and lunch having 100/200 kcal

Don’t forget to calculate the milk etc too!

The app ‘My fitness pal’ is really handy for calorie counting

What about home made veg soups? literally veg and stock?

I think that would be fine there’s hardly any calories in that! I’m sitting in the staff room while everyone has lunch and I have…Water! 🙁 staying strong though!

Put a slice of lemon in it to treat yourself lol

Haha I wish I’d thought of that. I have steak and vegetables for dinner tonight so I’m just going to pile on the salad and veg and hope it fills me up later!

Also does everyone find they have to scroll to the bottom to get the latest messages? Would be easier if new posts were at the top!

2nd fast day of the week. Salmon fillet with steamed veg for dinner tonight and I’ve just had chopped cherry tomatoes and cucumber with a small (60G) tin of tuna followed by 50g blueberries and 100 yogurt for lunch. Really colourful and very tasty! One of my colleagues brought in a cake today and it is sitting about 6 feet away from me winking at me but I am studiously ignoring it!! I’m just hoping that I can control myself over the weekend and not undo the effort I’v put in this week.

Chalkers that sounds yummy!I’ve been on the hunt for blueberries to snack on but I can’t seem to find any! Well done resisting the cake as well, not sure I’d be that strong!

I’m already eating out twice this weekend! I’m thinking of ‘fasting’ all day tomorrow so that when I do eat my unhealthy dinner I won’t have gone way over my calories!

Chalkers that does sound good.

Hi everyone,

My name is Louise, I am 35 years old and today is day 1 of the 5:2 fast diet… My fast days are Mondays and Thursdays – glad because I work Monday to Friday 🙂 I am finding it ok – I am a bit cold so had a couple of black teas which warmed me up. It will be 120g of chicken fillet tonight with steam broccoli – which I love! 🙂 and then bath and an early night. My plan is to write in my diary everyday and after a month decide whether or not I will do a blog.. I am very busy working mother so this lifestyle fits in to my lifestyle.

How is everyone doing and where are you from?

I am from Ireland and finished reading Michael Mosleys book at the weekend. Love the recipes – think I will have Bolognese and slim past for dinner on Thursday night.

Chat soon
    L 🙂

Hi Louise!

I’m Abi from Glasgow, I’m 27 and started the fast diet a couple of weeks ago.

I find I’m always so cold on fast days as well, definitely helps to have a hot drink. I’m also prone to headaches but I find if I drink lots of water I’m usually fine. Your dinners sound really good!

The first week on the diet I lost 3 and a half pounds (wanting to lose a stone and a half) but sadly having been away for work last week I only managed 1 fast day and I ate so badly the rest of the week. Haven’t weighed myself but I’m sure I’ve probably put it back on! Definitely need to try and rein it back in this week.

Let us know how you are getting on and good luck with the first fast day!

Abi x

Helloo,

Today is Day 1 for me. I have about (I mean AT LEAST) 30kg to lose. It would be an understatement to say I am miserable to find myself with such a massive target. BUT – I have set my first 2 goals :-

1. To get through the first fast day without adopting my usual fall back position of “food glorious food”.
    2. To lose 5 pounds. Not in a day or a week…. just to lose 5 pounds while watching the needle on the scale drop.

Today I had oats porridge with coconut milk for breakfast (at 10am) and tonight it will be cottage pie with celeriac mash with broccoli.

xx

Hi Stingray

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I am also guilty of going between ‘need to lose weight’ and ‘ah I’ll just treat myself this once’ which ends up being all the time! I didn’t have a great week last week but on the whole this is the best diet I’ve tried because on non-fast days you can eat what you want within your daily calories! Good luck with the first 2 goals, I’m sure you’ll do great!

Abi x

Hi Everyone

I’m from Christchurch (New Zealand) and yesterday was my first fast day.

I’ve read the book and also the Fast Exercise book and wpent a week getting myself organised and in the right frame of mind before I launched in.

My partner Steve is doing it too which was great yesterday as we could encourage each other.

Yesterday started out to be hard and I found it difficult at work to concentrate, but by mid day my body seemed resigned to what was going on and stopped being hungry.

Probably helps that I am not well (head cold) so not as hungry as I would have been!

Anyway, I’m pleased with myself and the scales were 700g lighter this morning. I know that’s not weight loss (maybe some of it might be) but it was nice to see.

The forum has been great so far. I came in throughout the day to get a morale boost and to read how other people are going.

Hope everyone is going well and I look forward to sharing the journey with you all!

Day 1 went ok, it was tough but mind over matter and we were fine, Thursday next fast day for me. Me and my partner are doing it together great support for one another:) he stepped on the scales on Tuesday morning and lost 6lbs !!! But he said he won’t weigh himself until Monday morning 🙂 how is everyone doing?

Hi Lulabelle, I’m doing it with my partner too and I think it makes it easier. We both started on Monday and this morning (after a day of normal eating yesterday) I was still 1kg (2.2lb) down! I did the Fast Exercise thing on the app yesterday. Got up a real sweat in just 8 mins and felt great afterwards.
    Although Monday was hard I’m excited for Thursday to see what happens on Friday!
    🙂

Congratulations Lulabelle, and your partner too! Great start!

Karate Kid, you are so right that you have to be in the right frame of mind. After a whole Summer of over indulging I was desperate to return to healthy eating and a healthy weight. This is my third week and I have lost 7lbs so far. I am delighted! I actually find that I look foward to the “fast days” as I have worked out 3 small meals that I really enjoy and which satisfy me. I also find that doing exercise on a fast day helps as does lots of sparkling water and peppermint tea. Piling my dinner plate with lots of low calorie vegetetables can make a meal look like a feast. I use MyFitnessPal to log calories, even on normal days. I do find that on a fast day, it tells me off for not eating enough!! Good luck everyone.

Day 2 of fast day tmrw… Have planned omelette with mushrooms and peppers for brekkie and quorn sausages and cauliflower for dinner, I’m finding cups of veg stock help 🙂 keeps the bones warm. 🙂

Day one for me too! It’s 2pm ish here in India, had green tea with a tiny bit of honey with a hard boiled egg for breakfast and a snack of a green bell pepper with a tbsp plain yogurt dip for a snack and am still under 110 for the day. I have a veggie soup for lunch cooking on the stove. So far no real feelings of deprivation!

Hi Abi,

I hope your week is going better this week and thanks for the positivity.

So far I think I am doing ok. for the first few days I completely forgot about
    the TDEE and keeping a track of my calories, having said that I dont believe I exceeded that on any day. As today is a fast day (gosh they come around soon!) I have not had anything to eat yet. I will wait till lunchtime to be hungry before I eat anything.

I am a serial grazer so these fast days are doing me the world of good. Instead of grazing on food, I found I was grazing on herbal teas!

My weigh-in/measure-in day is looming (Sunday) – I am feeling a little nervous, a little excited and a lot realistic.

What have people lost in their first week? Anyone?

I am hoping for 2 pounds.

Have a good day all!

xx

End of day 2 fast day, was a bit hungry today – I should have prepare better but will batch soup this weekend. What is TDEE? My partner and I have put a court order in to get married in ten weeks (mum is terminally ill with motor neurone disease) so I want her to be there for our marriage… We are getting married in her hospice:) so me and my partner are doing this together (thank god!!) but I’m sure it will get easier and bodies will adapt 🙂 nite everyone:)

Hi Lulabelle and welcome:

This link explains TDEE – it is quite important: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

That’s a great link Simcoeluv. Thank you for posting it.

I’m feeling a bit blurgh. Did really well on my 2nd fast yesterday. Didn’t overeat on my non fasting days before that.

Weighed myself this morning – and I am the same weight as I was before my fast yesterday! No difference at all. I was really excited to see some progress. 🙁

After reading the posts here I have decided to track non fast days on My Fitness Pal and see what’s going on. Weekend coming up, includes one birthday dinner. I really don’t want to feel like my life has become all about restrictions though – if it does I won’t stick to the new lifestyle, so I will enjoy but in moderation…..

How was everyone else’s fast day?

Lulabelle – all the best for your 10 week challenge! Do you have a goal weight or a goal outfit sorted for then? What a lovely special thing for your Mum to look forward to as well.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply.