Christmas Day and feeling bad about my weight. 10 week challenge – no excuses

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Christmas Day and feeling bad about my weight. 10 week challenge – no excuses

This topic contains 228 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  jellybeanz 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 229 total)

• My condolences on your loss as well jellybeanz. Yes, I think my eating would be similar to Atkins – aimed for 80% fat in my food. In the morning I have coffee or tea with 1Tbsp heavy cream, 1/2tsp coconut oil and 1/2 tsp butter (use small blender to mix). Only 100 calories but very rich and keeps me full for hours – will continue for fasting days. The family hasn’t been around much for meals so I’m just grazing (cut 1 very thin slice of cheddar or have a teaspoon of high fat chocolate mousse as I pass by the fridge but don’t make a plate up or will eat too much). I think this weight has dropped quickly because I gained it within the last month, it will be slower from here which is why I’m adding the fasting (and for health benefits). Good luck to you on Monday – you can do it!

Knitwit54 – Here’s a link to some 100 +/- calorie full meals that were staples on my fasting days. http://thelast20.weebly.com/100-calorie-meals.html
    Could eat five 100 calorie meals to help in the transition. The coffee I mentioned above really is a 100 calorie meal in itself as well.

WOW that sounds some diet! Seems to have worked for you. Yeah, we can all do it. Looking forward to getting started now.

Mini fast day today. Ready for returning to work on Monday and getting back to the gym. Monday will be my first strict fast day.
    I have weighed and measured myself today but will officially weigh on Monday morning.
    I will post my starting weight and stats every Monday.

Monday 4th January
    Monday 11th January
    Monday 18th January
    Monday 25th January
    Monday 1st February
    Monday 8th February
    Monday 15th February
    Monday 22nd February
    Monday 29th February
    Monday 7th March
    Monday 14th March

My mini goals are to lose 8 pounds by 1st Feb
    Another 8 pounds by end of Feb
    And 4pounds by 14th March
    20 pounds in 10 weeks

I have cleared my cupboards of all the Christmas confectionary and am ready to go.
    We can do this

Thanks for posting the 20 lb mini-goal schedule, makes it feel much more achievable!

Go forth Mrs Pepperpot! Just back from bike ride and will do next fast day tomorrow. I seem to be heading down the scales – have lost almost 1 kilo since last week’s self-flagellation moment. Will set some mini goals today and share them.

Hi All, good to see people doing well. I had a successful fast day yesterday after a bit of a binge on pizza the day before. I also had a wardrobe clear out as I can now fit into some of my older clothes that I loved so couldn’t give away but couldn’t fit into. Some of my more recent clothes are now too big. Some trousers are slipping down on my hips and it’s annoying to keep hitching them up and I don’t like wearing belts. So I have decided to give them to the charity shop instead of keeping them in case I put on weight again.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have been doing this for three months now so not exactly on the 10 week challenge, but hope to reach one of my mini milestones at the end of 10 weeks.

I must admit that I do weigh myself everyday even though I know our weight fluctuates from day to day. If it has gone down, I feel great, and if I have gone up, it motivates me to try harder. But my weigh in date for filling in my weight loss chart is Thursday and I haven’t yet seen an increase in my week to week weigh in, although I have had a few plateaus. Hope you are all doing well, RD

Hi there.

Had my first proper fast day on Saturday and it went pretty well. A few cups of black tea till a smoked salmon salad lunch with a friend. At night, more tea and a small piece of poached salmon. Went to bed pretty pleased with myself…..had started! Yesterday was kinda difficult with a lunch party and lots of nice stuff. Avoided the sweet cakes and puddings though.

Today is a proper fast day. I find that it’s easier if I dont eat anything at breakfast rather than something small and low calorie. Somehow eating at breakfast makes me hungrier. Hmm!

Have cleared all the biscuits from the house so if I do graze, it’s strawberries or blueberries. With my husband being away and no one in the house to chat to, the evenings are a challenge, so I need to work on ensuring that there is plenty to keep me occupied. Clearing out cupboards I think!!!

Best wishes everyone….keep at it!

Anyway, doing okay at the moment

Right, here we go then. New year, new me/us. Enjoy the ride folks.

Good morning everyone.

4th January 2016

My Start weight 9stone 13
    Waist 32
    Bust 39
    Hips 39.5

Will do 4:3 for January- my fast days are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
    I have my Fitbit on and aim for 10k steps per day plus 3 gym sessions

Impressed with all your progress! Will be waking up to another fast day in NZ in the morning – my 3rd since my restart! Your progress is egging me on.

I am at 62.5 kilos (we don’t altogether trust our scales but I’m less concerned with the actual number than just having it as a benchmark (was 63.4 last week when irritated at myself). As mentioned I am not very tall and i am officially about 5 kilos overweight as per BMI calculator (and I know I’m overweight because I feel it).

Some milestones:

By next week (when I go for a 4 day trip on the Otago rail trail – a cycling path for people of ages/stages that is 4 days of cycling amongst the mountain but on a disused railway line so mostly flat – yes I am terrified because it’s up to 48 kms cycling per day and I look like an idiot getting on and off a bike, but hey…) I want to be 61.5 and then by end of January I want to be 60. I start to look and feel good again at 60.

Then by mid February I am traveling to the US for a global team meeting for a client and I want to be at 58.

By the end of our 10 weeks I would love to be at 57 kilos, which would be back to what I had achieved before.

I just mostly want my perimenopausal hot flushes all night long (causing me massive sleep deprivation) to stop – last time I was regularly on the 5:2 they eased off completely and I am convinced it was because of the loss of weight and the fasting breaks. More than anything (aside from the mirror) this is motivating me right now.

Just read all the comments and I would like to join in too! Also 5’2” and it seems every extra pound shows! Weighed myself on 2nd January – 126.4 lbs and my aim is to get down to 120 lbs. I did so well last year and for a long time was 115 – 119 lbs, but that was in the warm months. Snow on the mountains and bitterly cold with heavy showers here in Cyprus and the apartments have no insulation as they’re built for the hot summers with tiled floors. Keeping to just under TDEE the first week and then will do some fast days – usually have 350 – 400 on those days. Good luck everyone!

As it is lose 20lb in 10 weeks challenge, I have changed my scales to pounds rather than stones and pounds and I start at 178.6 lbs and I will be happy to achieve 158lb by the start of April. I hope to do Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Friday’s for as long as I can and exercise on eating days until I get going for a while. Threw myself onto it like a loon four years ago and SLE kicked off big time for months, so softly does it for me. Had 2 egg omelet with herbs and fresh tomato for brekkie plus Meds and coffee lunch time with drop of skimmed milk. Tea will be salmon steak and large salad with glass of lemony tap water and more Meds. Mustn’t go mad on eating days. :-/

Everyone seems to be doing really well. I restarted the challenge this week (had New Years and Anniversary this past weekend). I am on a fast day today – thank you SkinnyMe45 – I am going to try and ease into the fast days until my appetite is “suppressed” so the 100 calorie meals might be a good approach till then. My weight is at 170lbs …. so a 20lb loss would really put me at my goal weight. I am also going to aim for the 4:3 strategy as I need to quickly drop the 10lbs I gained over the holidays….none of my clothes are fitting. My fitbit goal is 10,000 steps per day and will aim for 2 HIT and 2 strength sessions per week. Go FASTDIET!

Go all of you. I am now past my first mini milestone of Fast Day 3 – I have passed 9am with no food and leading up to noon! I think this year for me is all about the baby milestones in all aspects of my life 🙂 (I am an arch procrastinator and prone to making mountains out of molehills and using them as excuses not to start etc…) I am buoyed up by your efforts. This is my first work day of the year. I think 20 lbs is ambitious for me, as much as I would love to get there, so my 10 week challenge is 14 lbs if that’s OK! That would be amazing and get me 2 kilos off my ultimate goal weight, which I would love to be by end of April. That way I would have dealt with the weight issues in the first 1/3 of the year and pre-winter for me and could enjoy the remaining 2/3 feeling great. I ramble like this in my posts because “saying” these things to you all helps make them feel real and as I read what I am saying I start to visualise the outcome I am aiming for.

My vision for end of April 2016 (will keep reading this):
    -at goal weight
    -emotionally feel fantastic – under control, people telling me I look good (I know that’s not the most important thing, but just is nice 🙂 and asking me how I lost the weight), big goal ticked off in first 1/3 of year
    -Fasting now just a way of life
    -way back in healthy blood count etc range (not pre-diabetic)
    -peri menopause symptoms disappeared
    -all my nice clothes fit
    -specifically can wear my trousers again I bought when I lost the weight in 2014 and even more can tuck shirts into the trousers and they look really nice…
    -…because all that awful belly fat gone
    -Face no longer looks puffy and arms have that leaner look
    -ready to treat myself to some nice new winter trousers, dress and sweaters
    -can run 10 kms again without a hassle at all and in training for Auckland half marathon at beginning November

Go well this week everyone! You are all inspiring me!

Hi again – good morning from the Southern Hemisphere.
    You are all inspiring me too and thanks for sharing your goals and motivations.

I had a second consecutive fast day yesterday and was actually full very quickly when I started my evening meal of half a chicken fillet with ginger, garlic, chilli and lime with mixed veg. I couldn’t finish it even though it was delicious and I was genuinely very hungry when cooking it! I am definitely getting used to small portions now and this carries over during my non-fast days so I am keeping within the TDEE most days.

I am lucky that I have a supportive partner and he is now joining me on my quest! It was his dad who put me onto the fast diet in the first place as he was very successful on it. My partner has more weight to lose than me as he is in the obese BMI range – although being tall gets away with it much better than I do. His main thing to cut down on is beer 🙂 and he has vowed to start exercising more.

Off to make some sugar free jelly for this evening as I have to end a meal with something sweet.

Hi there – well done everyone.

My first fast day went well. I had soup for lunch and soup with added veg for dinner.

I have tried to drink more water today.
    I have achieved my 10k steps and worked out at the gym.
    So pretty successful.

I am trying to resist jumping on and off the scales.
    I have a second fast day tomorrow.

I have found that the longer I go until I eat the easier I find the fast day. Once I start eating that’s all I think about.
    How do you all find your fast days?

Great work, RedDog! I have just clicked past midday here, and apart from one wave of hunger, am doing OK…

And you too Mrs Pepperpot! (you posted just as I published the above…)

I am actually finding the new pattern of not eating until evening to work really well for me – am on Day 3 now of trying it. I think I’m like you in that once I start eating that’s all I can think about! I thought I would get too faint etc but am surprised to find it’s much easier this way. And then i do those milestones in my mind “made it to 9am, made it to midday, made it to 3pm…yay only 3 hours till 6pm”…and then at 6pm I’m not that desperate at all. I know it works differently for everyone.

Also, I visualise my body turning to its own supplies for energy and literally eating my waistline 😉 That helps during the hunger pains. Almost like a battle for dominance between me and the fat and I’m going to win this time…

That”s a great visualization trick littlepea, I’ll have to remember that for hunger pangs! I’m in Alberta, Canada so my posts will be later in the day. It is early Monday evening here but this my info from this morning:
    Starting weight: 151 lbs
    Measurements: 38-31.5-40

I’m hoping for fasting days on at least Monday, Wednesday & hopefully one more, but have done this way of life before and really enjoy the flexibility of changing fasting days if needed. I was sick today so didn’t ‘fast’ but didn’t eat much, will do my first fast day tomorrow. Really looking forward to being 20 lbs lighter in 10 weeks – we can do this!

Hello Mrs PepperPot, Just had a look at my tracker in 2015 and as I’m also 5’2” hope you will find my experience encouraging.
    April 27 Start Weight 139 lb
    June 26 Goal Weight 125 lb
    Exercise is limited to a daily 30 – 45 minute walk.

A loss of 14 lb in just under 9 weeks and I went on losing until I maintained at 115 until the end of November. December is a sociable month with birthdays as well as Christmas and New Year so on 4 January I weighed 126.4 lb, but I’m already down to 123 lb this morning by keeping to my TDEE which is 1305 according to the tracker I have been using.

I am recording my input on CalorieCounter for the next couple of weeks to help me relate portion sizes and the amount of calories they contain, as I find it easy to underestimate and also I am very interested in the nutritional aspect.

Hi again everyone,

Good to see us making progress!

I did my first HIT training yesterday. I also walk daily (with my dog) but it’s so hot and humid here at the moment that breaking into a jog is a horrible sweaty experience. So I put the air-con on in the spare room and went on the treadmill in just sports bra and shorts (TMI?). It has a several programs so I did a 10 minute one that increases speed to really fast then back down to walking and does that 4 times. I just about managed it – luckily the fastest speed only goes for 30 seconds 🙂 I felt good afterwards, mentally and physically.

I agree with the comment about counting calories and portion size. When I started, I was weighing things like breakfast cereal and finding that what I called a portion (and would regularly eat) was about 3 times the size recommended. I think we get so used to big portions (especially when eating out) that normal size portions start to look tiny! And now I am familiar with the BMR and TDEE I realise that the shorter we are, we should eat much smaller portions.

Anyway, hope you are all continuing to do well,
    RD

Hi RedDog -well done! Just checking in from NZ – completed 3rd fast day yesterday since my restart – just one meal at night – very proud of myself as yesterday wasn’t so easy – I seemed hungrier 🙂 Weighed myself this morning (what I am seeking is evidence that there is a downward trend – eventually I will stop looking at the scales except for once a week!) and was relieved to see I was 10.5 oz (300 gm) lighter since yesterday (am trying to translate things to ponds from kilos here) according to our scales – so at least down and not up. Have been reading about the 16:8 way of eating each day (eating only within an 8 hour window) – a friend did this last year and is looking amazing so going to see if that helps speed things up if I do that on two of my normal eating days each week. Interesting what you are all saying re the portion sizes. Also went for 5.5 km walk/run with some hills included.

Galexinda that is very encouraging thank you.

2nd fast day today. I am in the groove now so hopefully I will stay in it.!!
    Soup for lunch, 2 egg omelette with salad for dinner.

I am going to try and cut out bread from my diet to see if that helps with my weight loss. Bread is my vice. I cannot just have 1 slice. I have to eat the loaf.

10 k steps recorded on my Fitbit and a successful training session in the gym.

Nfd tomorrow and day off work. Need to stay focused. I will do a small food shop and get organised for my third fast day Thursday.

I live just outside London and gave a theatre trip booked on Thursday to the west end. I would normally meet for dinner first but have opted out. The theatre itself will be a treat.

Anyone got any tips on keeping the willpower going and strong?
    I really want to succeed with this challenge – I feel quite disgusted with myself for allowing myself to get 20 pounds overweight.

First real fast day today and made it through with 414 calories. Wasn’t that hungry at supper but knew I should eat something or would be snacking / starving later. Had 1 piece of pepperoni pizza (220 cals) as that is what the kids had made for dinner but my tummy isn’t too happy with all those carbs. Rest of the day was 100 cal bullet coffee and a small snack of cheese, turkey pepperoni & celery. Still not feeling 100% so that probably made the fast easier.

RedDog, I also weigh myself daily. I find it better for my will power to see the results and I tend to stray if I don’t weigh.

Mrs Pepperpot – as for keeping up will power, the forum and the scale keep me accountable but before restarting the fasting I watched Eat, Fast & Live Longer again to get me excited to start on the right track again and read ButtonBoots entire journey (forum), amazingly inspirational and still ongoing! I love reading the success stories.

Galexinda – amazing results, very encouraging that someone with a starting weight of139 lost over 20lbs in less than 10 weeks! Now we know it’s achievable!

Happy Fasting for the Wednesday fasters!

Hi, hope I’m not too late to jump into the 10-week challenge. I started IT in August at about 150 pounds, with a goal of getting to 135 before US Thanksgiving. I then gave myself December off, and I’ve just restarted with a plan of losing another 10-15 pounds by March. Fortunately, I only gained about 2 pounds by New Years. So I’m starting at 137 and would be thrilled to see 120-125.

MrsPepperpot, I had some willpower issues too. From my first round with IT I learned a few things that worked for me and others might find helpful. Maybe they’ll work for you too.

The first thing I learned is to arrange things so that I’m most likely to be successful. I try to fast 2 to 3 days per week, but I was flexible about the days. To meet a friend for lunch sometimes meant changing the fast day. So be it – not a failure, just a revised plan.

As a variation of this, I didn’t fast when I traveled. It’s too hard and with too many variables (sleep schedule, airports, airplanes, trains, boredom), so I gave myself permission to skip a fast day or two. I just revised my plan to start right back up when I got home, and I stuck to it. Not a failure, just a revised plan.

I wrote down my fast days on a calendar, in pencil in case of changes, and I logged what I ate along with calorie count. I kept a daily total of calorie savings (TDEE-calories eaten= calories saved) as well as a cumulative running total. In mid-Nov, after 37 fast days, I had “saved” 48,056 calories. At about 3500 calories per pound, that was 14 pounds, which was about what I lost. I don’t own a scale and only weigh at the gym occasionally, so this was a way of making sure I was doing what I needed to do to stay on track.

As my screen name implies I have a persistent sweet tooth, so on my fast day, I allow myself to fixate on one sweet. On the next normal day, I eat it! I’ll never forget how I came to this. On one of my very first fast days when I felt hungry, I went out for a walk. The first thing I see is a little kid with a big grin munching from a bag of jelly beans. I could’ve tackled the tyke to the ground and stolen his jelly beans! Fortunately, instead I just reminded myself that I could have my very own jelly beans the next day. The next day I went out and got myself some jelly beans. I eliminated all noise and distractions and completely focussed on enjoying eating my little packet of jelly beans. It was incredibly satisfying. This trick also kept me from bingeing on my feed days.

On my fast days, I find the drinking tea to be much easier on my empty stomach than my beloved morning cup of coffee. Next cup of coffee, maybe even 2, only one day away!

As bad as Diet Coke might be for my health, it’s been a lifesaver in terms of feeling full and having something slightly sweet. I rarely drink it otherwise. I might try broth now the weather is cooler.

On fast days, I eat my most of my calories at about 2pm. That’s the halfway point between dinner the night before and breakfast tomorrow. I learned that I get a bit hungry again around 5-6pm, so I go to a yoga class, or for a walk, or read or type a post(like now!) about that time. Anything to keep from sitting around listening to the rumble.

I also quickly learned to save 50-100 calories out of my 500 for nighttime. If I’m so hungry I won’t sleep, I can eat a piece of fruit, or have tiny glass of wine, or I can save those calories and be that much closer to my goal.

As I mentioned above, I don’t own a scale and don’t obsess on weighing. Instead I used my blue jeans to gauge progress. By weighing only every few weeks, I assuring myself of seeing a lower number each time.

So maybe these might help you?

My apologies Galexinda – apparently I can’t subtract (or read) 🙂 Still very excited by the 14lb in 9 week results but I’m still striving for 20lbs as I am starting a bit heavier.

Sounds good sweetTooth,everyone seems to be doing well! I’m on my second of three fast days this week, so far so good. Back has gone “out” so can’t exercise this week but feel I’m doing ok. Have a lot of grief triggers coming up to first anniversary of husbands death, dealing with hospital board, headstone etc so I mustn’t comfort with food! Really want to lose weight by beginning of April, first anniversary. Well done all! Keep going!

Far out jellybeanz, that’s not easy stuff. Keep going with the 5:2 – we are here.

Oh dear, jellybeanz. I’ll be thinking of you today (just waking up in California). Hope your back eases soon. Good luck today with your fast. Keep going today, Jelly, you can do it.

Hi All,

Jellybeanz – I’m also thinking of you – it must be tough dealing with your loss, especially with those triggers coming up.

Mrs Pepperpot, I was sad to hear you feel disgusted for gaining 20 pounds – it’s a perfectly normal thing to do as we all know so I hope you can accept that this is just a normal and commonplace thing and don’t beat yourself up about it. Instead, be proud that you are doing something positive about it. With all the mixed messages we receive about healthy eating it’s no wonder that we have all gained more weight than we should. This is why websites and forums like this exist so we can share support and information and tips that work for us.

As we are all in different countries, I thought I would paste this conversion chart from Kilos to pounds to stones. Hope you find it useful. In this table, for example, 10.5 stones means ten and a half stone not ten stone five pounds. Hope that makes sense.
    RD

Kg Pounds Stones
    100 220 15.7
    99 218 15.6
    98 216 15.4
    97 214 15.3
    96 212 15.1
    95 209 15.0
    94 207 14.8
    93 205 14.6
    92 203 14.5
    91 201 14.3
    90 198 14.2
    89 196 14.0
    88 194 13.9
    87 192 13.7
    86 190 13.5
    85 187 13.4
    84 185 13.2
    83 183 13.1
    82 181 12.9
    81 179 12.8
    80 176 12.6
    79 174 12.4
    78 172 12.3
    77 170 12.1
    76 168 12.0
    75 165 11.8
    74 163 11.7
    73 161 11.5
    72 159 11.3
    71 157 11.2
    70 154 11.0
    69 152 10.9
    68 150 10.7
    67 148 10.6
    66 146 10.4
    65 143 10.2
    64 141 10.1
    63 139 9.9
    62 137 9.8
    61 134 9.6
    60 132 9.4
    59 130 9.3
    58 128 9.1
    57 126 9.0
    56 123 8.8
    55 121 8.7
    54 119 8.5
    53 117 8.3
    52 115 8.2
    51 112 8.0
    50 110 7.9

Sorry, the table doesn’t look like it did on my screen before posting, the spaces were bigger but hope you can still read it.

Thanks RedDog for the conversions – technically Canada is metric but most of us are still using pounds for weight.

Ended up doing back to back fasts mostly because work was so busy – only had bullet coffee for breakfast/lunch so just ate half a homemade cheeseburger patty for dinner to make 508 calories. A little higher than yesterday but real close to 500 cals so I’m counting it! 🙂

Thinking of you jellybeanz and hoping your day went well.

SkinnyMe, of course you count that! You’re amazing with the b2b fasts. Congratulations! I think you should burn off those extra 8 calories by dancing around the room celebrating. Alternatively, you can pat yourself on the back for 2 continuous minutes! (That’s got to be close enough to some yoga asana to count.)

Thanks guys, awful day yesterday and more to come over next few weeks but it all has to be got through. Did my second fast day yesterday and don’t feel so bloated today. Will do third tomorrow and weigh every Saturday morning and measure after a month. I have to say that the sense of discipline and control is very nice after a LONG time of life dragging you threw it. Keep the faith chaps 🙂

Jellybeanz you are so strong – getting through a fast day at this time. It’s good to hear that you feel that sense of control returning. I’m fasting today (and also fighting a cold I’ve tried not to acknowledge for the last week) so please beam some of your control in my direction and I’ll do the same for you tomorrow. I need to take it easy today, which precludes exercise, one of my best techniques for self-control on a FD. Hang in there.

Hope you had a great fast day SweetTooth55 and wishing jellybeanz positive vibes for tomorrow’s fast!

Well that’s the end of week one and it wasn’t that tough once I had focused. I weighed first thing this morning and have gone down from 178.6lbs to 174.4lbs so I am pleased with that. I think giving up the Merlot has has a big influence and I realise that the first loss is often the greatest but I am encouraged with that. Going to choose headstone this morning so allowing myself whatever I want for brekkie as an act of Selflove 😇

Right there with you jellybean. I had 3 fast days this week…..they got easier as the week progressed. I think I am getting the hang of this. Are you letting go of the merlot throughout the challenge or just on fast days? Just curious as I am an avid wine lover as well. Anyway, I started at 170 and weighed myself today and down to 165.7……Not as much as I had hoped but I don’t think I’ll drop all the weight I gained in the first few weeks…..need to be ready for the longer haul and convert this into a lifestyle approach. I’ll get there.

You will get there, well done. I am doing 4:3 and intend to give up the old merlot for the whole ten weeks. I think this will do me good physically, mentally and just that alone would make me lose weight without the fasting. Not easy as I do love a glass or two but it will be a good day when the ten weeks are up 😃

Hello All,
    Thanks Skinny for the good wishes, they worked! And a belated thanks to you RedDog for the conversion table post. It is makes reading threads easier.

JellyBeanz and KnitWit54, congratulations to both of you for losing 4+ pounds! Wave goodbye to them and keep up the good work.

I’m doing Dry January because wine was undermining my goals. Whenever I made a nice dinner for a NFD, I always served wine. After the first glass, it was easier to have a second glass with a second helping. By the time dessert came around I had no willpower left. What TDEE?! I tried various “rules” (only 1 glass, only veggies for seconds) without success. So essentially, I’m trying to prevent the whole chain by not drinking the first glass. So far, so good, and it’s only a month.

JBz, I hope you found a headstone suitable for you and your DH. I admire the courage and determination you are showing. Sending warm thoughts your way.

Thank you yes I did. Oddly tiring day. Friend took me for lunch and for tea I had a snickers bar and milk. I thought I deserved a treat day today and didn’t want to open the wine :-0. Back on track tomorrow and then back on 4:3 from Monday on. Hopefully with back mostly better I can start hula hooping 😃

JBz, thinking of you – buying a headstone must be the most heartwrenching thing. I also admire you for your strength and courage.

I hope you enjoyed every mouthful of that snickers bar. 🙂 You certainly deserved a treat and well done for not reaching for the wine.

I don’t know about anywhere else but here in Aus, they don’t put calories/kilojoules on alcoholic drinks like they do on non-alcoholic ones – I suspect it’s because we would all drink far less if they did. I reached my mini-goal of 1 pound lost on my Thursday weigh in so am having a weekend off from dieting. However at a barbecue on Friday night i stuck to a bit of white wine topped up with lots of ice and soda water. Very refreshing as it’s been so hot here, felt like I was drinking and the bonus that I could drive home so saved money on a taxi. I had a big burger but with salad on a plate rather than in a bun, and so I felt comfortable indulging in a nice icecream dessert. Yesterday, Sat, I indulged in my love of bread! Like you, Mrs Pepperpot, it’s my vice too. I have been cutting down during the week, but made some lovely sour dough rye bread and enjoyed it toasted for breakfast with lots of butter then a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. That’s the beauty of this diet – that we can have a snickers bar or bread and butter if that’s what we want – just not on the fast days 🙂

Anyway, glad to hear some success stories. Hula Hooping sounds fun!

Congrats jellybeanz and KnitWit54, great losses this week! I’ll officially weigh in on Monday but looking good so far.

Hi everyone! OK, I almost fell off the wagon! A friend came from London to stay on Friday night and I just didn’t get a fast day in at the end of the week, ate way too much with the friend over 24 hours (chips/dips/snacks/cocktails/out to dinner) and then Friday/Saturday did no exercise after (as you know) vowing to do at least 2km of walking/running/cycling every day. Last night I felt really grumpy with myself. Also irritated because the hot flushes (how did I get to be 50 and having hot flushes – seems like a minute ago I was 24) have been causing me really bad sleep deprivation. But the good news is 1. I slept 8 hours, only woken up once 2. with my husband went for a 10km hilly walk this morning, 3. decided to do 16:8 today and didn’t eat until after noon and had dinner pre 8pm (and of course I ate so much less as a result) and scheduled a fast day tomorrow (Monday, NZ time). So feel really proud of myself that i didn’t let the momentarily fall off the wagon turn into a complete backward slide (it was touch and go there for a minute as once I start eating rubbish I can’t stop…). A lot of it was thinking about how could I report back to you guys and then not achieve my goals, so this is great being part of this.I’m really hoping tomorrow to get on the scales and be able to report I am under 137 pounds. In 4 days time we will be riding the Otago Rail Trail – between 25 and 48 km each day for 4 days so that’s gotta be good, right? I won’t attempt to fast while doing that (we are away in total 7 days) but on the non-cycling days will try to do 16:8 and not eat until after midday. It would be great to return from this week holiday having lost a bit of weight instead of gained it and be hitting the ground running back to the fasting on my return.

Anyway, here’s what i hope to be reporting back in 24 hours:

1. That I completed another fast day
    2. That I am under 137 pounds. (when I started this btw after Boxing Day I was 140 pounds. I would have hoped to lose more but remember New Year’s and other holiday events have been happening and also last time I did 5:2 the weight loss started slowly and then kicked in and escalated after about a month.

Go well while I am sleeping everyone!

I’m afraid I fell off the wagon too last night but it was a tough day😰 So, full of remorse I am back on track today and will fast Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Didn’t open wine but did have spirit and lemonade and nuts, which are now in the bin!

Oh jellybeanz you have every good reason to fall off that wagon, and anyway, like me you can climb right back on again 🙂

Hello everyone. I’m keen to join as well. I’ve had success at this marvellous 5:2 diet before but as soon as someone comments that I’ve lost weight and look good then I just fall off the wagon. I don’t know why I always want to sabotage my efforts. I am greedy but then who isn’t. I am also 5ft 2inches. I’ve just weighed myself and I’m 10stone 10lbs. That’s awful compared to all you other 5ft 2inches people and my heaviest for many years. I am large-breasted which does take up part of the weight because the amazing thing is that I’m still in UK size 8 trousers albeit with a muffin top and a baggy top. I must also have heavy bones because even if I find myself in UK size 6 trousers I’m still around 9 stone. Anyway. The excuses are over. Challenge begins. I’m going to go 4:3 for the first few weeks to get my head back in the game. I very much look forward to our collective success – thank you Mrs Pepperpot for starting the thread!

Welcome to the group MrsM2015! I fell off the wagon in late Spring last year so I’m also back trying to make this a permanent way of life. Amazing how we sabotage ourselves when other people start noticing – but trust me, you are not alone on that front. It really does help to have a group like this for support!

jellybeanz – I think you did great having the will power to stop at one spririt and some nuts (even more will power to bin the rest of the bag). The wonderful thing about 5:2 is that these days can happen to anyone (under far less stress than you) and you can just adjust your fasting day to another day or pick up a 4:3 the following week. Don’t beat yourself up – you are doing amazing!

littlepea – Great job getting back on track after friend’s visit. What an amazing holiday you have planned! So much better to look forward to the scale / measuring tape upon your return rather than dreading it. Hope your fast day went well and looking forward to seeing your results post!

Will post my weight tomorrow – and try not to overeat today! 😉

Hi All, and a special welcome to MrsM2015.

JBz and littlepea, we’re ALL going to fall off the wagon at some point, but if anyone deserved a treat JBz it was you! And littlepea, I tend to give up all facade of managing my diet when friends gather, so good on you for even trying.

For inspiration I’ve watched the Mosley BBC doc about IF, “That Sugar Film,” and Michael Pollan’s “In defense of food” over the last week. One of them reports that people make over 200 decisions about food each day. That sounded high to me, but I guess if you include decisions about drinking water and what and when not to eat, 200 is plausible. Anyway, of course we’re all going to make a bad decision now and again. One of the great things about 5:2 is that you just account for it and keep going. Good for both of you for moving on.

RedDog, thanks for your post too for the motivation it provided. Wine bottles in the US don’t carry calories counts either. I knew that calories were a function mostly of the size of the glass (!) but also of alcohol content. So I spent part of yesterday getting our answer. The number of calories equals the volume of the drink in ml x the percent alcohol from the side of the bottle x 5.6 or the volume of the drink in oz x the percent of alcohol x 165. So a 175ml glass of 13.5% wine has 132 calories (175*.135*5.6). The last factor, in both cases, has to do with getting from volume to weight to calories. So, the lower the alcohol content the lower the calories, but it’s really all about how big the glass is! A 125 ml serving of 12% wine has only 84 calories. So there’s the choice!

On my front, I did my 4th fast yesterday. I’ve been reading posts on this site about people who fast without eating at all. Well, I got to about 3pm without having eaten and I didn’t feel hungry, so I just went the rest of the way. I felt fine until about 9pm when I got really hungry. I had a couple of cups of decaf tea and picked up a book, and that was it. I was shocked at how easy it was! I’m not sure I’ll stay with that plan, but it was good to know that I can do it. Today is a day off and I look forward to a big bowl of pasta and salad for dinner tonight. Have a good day/eve everyone.

Well have I failed miserably! I started on 2nd January and do lose a couple of pounds but the last few days I have been a nightmare. Think that I am missing my husband more than I expected, going to be a long six months, and I seemed to be hunting food!! The weather is cold and wet and I just want to snuggle in with a book and eat! So not good! Anyway, today has been a bit better and hopefully I can get back on track.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply.