CHAT- When to start 5:2

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi all, I have been thinking lately, is the 5:2 a quick fix for people to start when they want/need a change later in life as we seen the immediate results in the documentary.
    Or would it be more effective if someone starts from say age 25 and kept it up?
    Thanks for reading 🙂
    I think iv worded this right! :s

Davey-Boy

There are many things about nutrition I wish I had known about when I was 25. Now I am doing the damage limitation, hoping to avoid the diabetes, arthritis, dementia etc.

I suppose if someone started at 25 they would get by on just 6:1?

It would be fascinating to follow the progress of someone who is 25 for a year or two. Any volunteers?

Hi @davey-boy I don’t see 5:2 as a ‘quick fix’ at any age. It can be effective at whatever age it’s started at but it would seem to make sense that the longer you do it the better your results might be in terms of health and weight.

Starting 5:2 is not going to immediately ‘cure’ years of ‘ill treating’ your body with unhealthy food and no exercise but it will certainly start the ‘repair’ process and obviously the length repair time will vary depending on the amount of damage and the amount of effort put in.

Anyone looking for a ‘quick fix’ and massive weight loss in a very short time is liable to be disappointed. It isn’t a ‘quick fix’ in terms of weight loss or health although some people do see differences quite quickly. It’s about making a fairly radical, complete change to your way of eating and of thinking about food, resulting in long term better health and weight.

Obviously if someone of 25 starts 5:2 they are likely to require less ‘repair work’ than someone of 55. But whatever age you start and if you continue indefinitely, it will mean that no further damage will be done.

It’s never too late to start caring about yourself.

xx

I have chosen to take on this way of life at my age simply for an easier working life as I get older. I cannot see me doing my job (gardener/gravedigger) until retiring age of something like 78 or whatever it will be by then as it is quite physically challenging now!

Would it were a quick fix, Davey-Boy. This week I celebrate – if that’s the word – one year on 5:2. Having lost a measly 6 kilos – on which I have been stuck since September – it has been more like slow torture than a swift solution. In recent days I have become very, very close to chucking it in.
    Chances are I won’t have lost a whole lot more by this time next year. The only comfort is that, as sylvestra puts it, no further damage will be done, apart from a bruised head as I beat it against the wall.
    It’s particularly galling this week as a very good friend and her husband are doing a detox programme which involves 600 cal per day. Since Sunday he has lost 4 kilos and she is down by 3 kilos and she’s not even overweight, just a bit bigger round the middle than she likes to be.

@hermaj console yourself with the thought that while detox can give a ‘miraculous’ weight loss – a few days after completing it she will probably have regained the 3 kilos. It’s is very disheartening when the scales don’t show a loss – i think mine have ‘stuck’- but as you say, no more damage will be done

Take care, hope the current work load isn’t too heavy

xx

Thanks for the kind words, sylvestra. You’re right, detox is not really a fair comparison. Besides, “detox” along with “makeover” isn’t a word in my vocabulary. I am very, very discouraged, however. Although I say “since September” it is more accurate to say since July/August. I put on a couple of kilos on holiday but managed to get back down to the pre-holiday weight by the end of September.
    I have toyed with the idea of 4:3 but although I’m getting very good at sticking to 500 cals two days a week and am reasonably careful on the remaining days,I don’t want to be in a position where I beat myself up for not being able to sustain an extra fast day. Also the filthy weather is not very conducive to exercise, plus I have got quite a lot of work to do, which fortunately is enjoyable and interesting.
    On a happier note, I’ve been putting your name about to a couple of earring-loving friends, one of whom buys not only for herself but for female friends and relatives, so hopefully there’ll be business coming your way.

Thanks for the PR work hermaj!

I agree about the weather…I am so expletive deleted tired of this incessant rain. We have roads closed around us and the fields are more suitable for rice than anything else. I love walking and I don’t mind the cold but I draw the line at walking in a downpour.

I’ve done 4:3 for a couple of weeks but, to be honest, it hasn’t actually done anything to increase weight loss. These scales are stuck I tell you!!! 😀

xx

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.