Carb or not to carb?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Im just wondering what everyone’s view is on having carbs on fast days? I know a lot don’t have them but if I don’t I feel tired, dizzy and get headaches. Im on fast day no3 today and have stuck to my 500 cals (well 506) but had a WW pasta sauce and pasta for my tea. Im not fussed if I don’t loose loads of weight in little time because Im happy it coming off slowly and hopefully wont return if I make this my way of lifestyle.

Thanks

Hayley

hi Hayley and well done on your third fast!!

carbs hey… don’t you just love them 🙂 I try my very best to keep them to a minimum on fast and feed days, especially bread, I used to be a heavy sandwich eater lol but now I much prefer salads, love them and they are so low cals you can eat loads!! maybe you could try weaning yourself off gradually?
    am sure you will get a few posts on this, and you are right, its much better for the weight to come off slowly,at a steady pace… you may experience a “plateau”, where weight stays the same for a while, but its all good in the end!!

keep going and happy fasting 🙂

Today was weigh in today and I have lost 2lb so im really pleased with that. I am a big carboholic and I am trying to cut down. I have tried to leave butter off my bread ( when I do have it and mostly successful)and i’m enjoying black coffee!! ( Tea is milk n sugar though lol) but I do like low cal carb meals. Jackets, pasta and rice. Think this week I will limit myself to 2 or 3 carb main meals and try and reduce it down gradually.

Thanks for your reply

Hayley

Great stuff Hayley well done!!

here’s to more! 🙂

I hate to say this Hayley, but if you want to keep the weight off, and stay healthy, you need to kick the carbs. There is mounting evidence against high carb diets (and therefore low fat too) although the food manufacturers, would prefer you not to know about it.

Carbs need insulin to be processed, and insulin simply converts the carbs into fat. High carb diets lead to too much insulin production, and after a while we become innured to the high insulin levels – its called insulin resistance and is the cause of type 2 diabetes. Insulin also makes you feel hungry, because it suppressed the ‘feel full’ hormone leptin, so you eat more etc etc

You are not struggling with your weight because you are greedy, you are struggling because you are eating too many carbs…

You can lose weight on 5:2, but to keep it off you need to cut the carbs. MM doesn’t really go there in his book, but other doctors, notably Jason Fung, Robert Lustig and David Perlmutter do, and it makes painful reading/watching. they all have videos on youtube, and Fung has a blog, and the other two have books out.

Carbs do seem to be one of the worst – bad news as my favourite food group is carbs-n-cheese (cheese sandwich, pizza, pasta with cheese, you get the picture)

On my fast days I pretty much lay off the carbs, today I just had 2 crackers (35kcal each). I’m still figuring out what works best on eating days, but the plan is to regularly eat carb free meals such as soups and salads (see also the topic on veggie diet)

No way am I completely giving up on my favourite tho, that’s where I have always fallen down previously

Hi,
    I totally agree with Ruthi. Before I found this way of eating I had just cut the processed crape out of my diet. There are still plenty of meats, veges, fruit and full fat dairy to choose from. I lost 20kg eating this way and not really having to think too much about it. Now I have added fasting and I will get that last 5kg off as well as the other health benefits from allowing my body time to repair.
    Crabs and sugar are an addiction, you will go thru withdrawals and fall off the wagon occasionally. But stick with it and you will benefit.

Dayna

What I don’t understand is about kicking the carbs. Im a Science TA and also teach and were drilling into the kids heads that carbs are the biggest part of a balanced diet. Now I don’t agree we need the biggest percentage because excess carb does turn into fat, but I do agree we need some for energy. I know we all have our own way of working on this diet and was just curious what we all did. For now I going to stick to what I do and re think if I plateau at any point. Im just enjoying myself not fretting over evil little number counting every day and stressing if I cant have what I want. Apart from being bunged up and resisting a lemsip ( 20cals and im on my fast day)I am starting to feel more energetic.

Hayley you have to do what feels right for you and above all what works for you too!!

I could never give up carbs for good completely lol ( italian origin , how can i give up good old pasta!! ) let us know how you get on , and i hope you feel much better soon 🙂 x

I’ve given up carbs most days of the week when I’m not fasting – for post menopausal women, even looking at carbs puts on weight! It’s much easier to do away with them than try to limit them, but I am going to try the 4:2:1 diet mentioned here, as life without carbs 7/7 would be dull!

I love my carbs too! I occasionally do have them (although a small portion) on my fast days & on my non-fast days I have simply tried to cut down the amount as I used to eat a LOT of carbs! It was/is my favourite food group unfortunately so giving them up completely would just make me sad 🙁

As long as you keep them to a minimum on your fast days & try to cut down on your non-fast days I don’t see anything wrong with indulging in them 🙂 Life’s too short to not eat pizza! 😉

Although this topic was brought up in 2014, I am new here. I just wanted to share that I have lost 15 pounds so far eating a high carb, 5:2 diet. I do not exercise but am planning to start. I am not talking about processed carbs, but whole, plant-based carbs and cooking without oil. I follow High Carb Hannah on YouTube who lost 70 pounds eating a high carb, plant based diet. Since I am 61, I combine this with the 5:2 plan to step things up. Potatoes are low in calories. It is the butter, cheese and other toppings that make them high caloric. Air fries or mashed potatoes with non-fat gravy are great. Again, there is a difference between cake/bread/cookies which are processed foods and fruit/vegetables/rice/potatoes which are whole foods. There are even pastas now that are made from brown rice or lentils or chick peas. These pastas are high in fiber as well as protein. Don’t be afraid of good carbs!!

There is nothing wrong with carbs as long as they are locked up in fibre. hence whole foods such as veggies, beans, lentils, some fruit is a good thing. Cant say I agree with you regards the potatoes, butter and cheese though. But hey if its working for you go with it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.