Can being on HTR or having an ileostomy prevent this 5:2 from working?? 🤔

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Can being on HTR or having an ileostomy prevent this 5:2 from working?? 🤔

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AlizarinCrimson 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’ve done two weeks of 5:2. (Did it properly!) but I’m still gaining weight! I run twice a week and do pilates once a week. Don’t smoke or drink. I have an ileostomy though. What am I doing wrong? After reading all the amazing reviews I’m pretty disappointed with the claims of instant weight loss and beginning to think this is just another fad diet

Hi Alizarin and welcome:

How do you define ‘properly’? If you eat 500 or fewer calories twice a week, and your TDEE or less for the remaining five days, you have to lose weight.

Please let us know

Alizarin, I’m on HRT and it hasn’t stopped me losing weight on 5:2. I don’t know how an ileostomy would affect your diet and calorie needs. It would have a major impact on how your digestive system functions and I imagine it would make it more difficult for your body to absorb all the nutrients in what you eat. I think you would need to consult a dietitian or doctor to have this question answered adequately.

The thing that made the major difference to whether I lost weight or not was what and how much I ate on the “normal” days. It took me a while to realise that what I considered normal was more calories than I needed and it was effectively cancelling out the progress I made on the fasting days.

It’s helpful to work out the TDEE for your goal weight, being conservative with exercise estimate. Then I kept a food diary to make sure I was sticking within this on the normal days. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ I had to make some adjustments to my expectations of the types of foods I could eat and serving sizes.

Hi there! Thank you for replying! I discovered my TDEE WAS 1610, so I should only have 400c per FD! Not easy as I felt a bit faint by the end of the day. In trying to diet on the other days too now as eating up to 1600 is still piling on pounds after two days! However! Got my road bike out the other day and rode 10miles. And I’ve dropped a few pounds. Kinda scared to eat ‘normally’ ie up to 1600 cos I know what’s gonna happen!

Thank you Ljoyce! Yes, this TDEE was far more important than I realised!! You simply can’t go back to scoffing what you like on non FD days. I think I was nearer 1800 than 1600, but even that’s too much right now. I’ve dug out my road bike, done a 10 mile ride and saw my weight drop a couple of pounds. Upping exercise AND cutting calories is the only answer I guess.. Thanks for your support!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.