Calorie Help

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  toasty2 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi everyone,

This is my third week of fasting and going well so far.

Could anyone please tell me whether I should be counting the calories in food before I cook it or after? For instance, sweet potato is a lot lighter once cooked so should I be counting the calories in the raw or cooked potato?

Thank you in advance!

There are lots of really good apps that will show calories both as uncooked and cooked, cooked with butter, cooked with oil, etc. I use MyFitnessPal and like how very thorough it is, so many options, but there are more out there.

Hi Charlee.

I prefer to go with uncooked calories, as that tends to be a pretty consistent and reliable way of measuring.

For example, a raw potato will generally weigh more than a baked potato, as some water will be lost during the cooking process. The calories haven’t gone anywhere!
    The same with pasta. If you weigh out 75g of dry pasta it will weigh much more when cooked, but the calories will still be the same.

I think the issue with counting calories based on cooked food weight is that there is the potential for variation (eg: your pasta might have absorbed more water than average.)

I agree with Smith2015. Get yourself and app or online calculator. They’re easy to use and give to a good idea of what you’re eating.

I found things like spinach always weigh less after being lightly sweated so I add an extra handful or just eat it raw .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.