Calorie Confusion

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  milena 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi,

This is my first post on what I intend to be a successful journey to weight loss and feeling better about myself!

I apologise if this has been asked before……

I have been looking at the correct way to do the diet and I’m a little confused. I currently lightly exercise 3 times a week. My TDEE is 3161 cals. I am hoping to stick to about 2500 cals a day and 600 on fast days. My question is, if I burn 400 cals on my exercise days, does that mean I can consume 2900 on a normal day and 1000 on a fast day?

I hope this makes sense.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Mark

Hi Mark
    your TDEE is based on the amount of exercise, so it is included.

You have a high TDEE – lucky you! Some folk, including me, work to either target TDEE or an interim target TDEE – you have to reduce at some time, I suppose. My TDEE is just under 1600 and I would to 1755, but I worked at one over two stone less, 1573, and now I have hit that I am working on another stone less 1497 – which means 375 on fast days – I stay either with this or nothing, and stay under 1200 most fast days.

As you have suggested, the standard 2500/600 for men should be fine for you, see what works for you and tweak it to find what works best.

Read the site and the book for more info and the forum is a font of knowledge – the maintenance folk have now got the tee-shirt so they know what works!

There is also a men’s thread – though you are of course welcome on them all.

Very best of luck!

Hi milena,

Thanks for that. Sadly my TDEE is do high, I think because of my current weight!

I think I will aim for a flat 2500 calories intake on the days I exercise then. I just didn’t want to take in too much as I thought I’d “earned” more calories after exercise!!

You are not the only one, Mark.

I have a lot to lose but unfortunately I am short and dont do much exercise = hoping to do better this month.

Join the forums, its a easier journey with others than on your own – this is, for many, the only place they talk about how much there is to lose. For some it is just a few pounds, for many of us, its a great deal. But everyone is one the same journey, to weight loss and to better health.

Few few fasts can be daunting but I can promise it gets easier. and you might just find strange benefits, certainly seems to help the joints.

Anything to help the joints is good for me, I’ve been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, so I know I need to drop a significant amount of weight to help my mobility.

Hopefully I can hit my weight loss target and drop about 140 pounds!

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Hi Mark

first obstacle down, you have your target, now you need a plan – that’s the way I do it anyway. I plan to reach mini targets – I work in kilo and stones, so there are lots ie hald a stone, 5 kilos etc. Make this mountain we are trying to climb just a bit easier.

A pound a week is a good guide, though blokes seem to do better, mathematically, if your TDEE is 3161, thats 22127 a week, 2500/600 a week brings it way down to 13,700, so if you are toiling on a fast day going a wee bit over won’t be a deal breaker!

If you are saving 8427 calories a week you might manage up to 2- 2.5 lbs plus -3500 calories = 1 lb. Of course it doesn’t work exactly like that, but its a good guide. And of course as you lose weight your TDEE is reduced.

But the main thing is its doable – and its not a diet – please let us know how you are doing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.