Calling all rugby fans

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Calling all rugby fans

This topic contains 183 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Expat 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 184 total)

• The commentators, yes – for some of the games the half time comments didn’t seem to be about the half I had just seen. They knew what they believed, or wanted to believe, and were not going to let reality interfere. I read two different newspapers on Sunday , with reports on all of the games. I found myself asking if some of their expert reporters had ever touched a rugby ball. The English played well, the Welsh won. There were mistakes and brilliant play on both sides; one of those Welsh tries was so good that this Englishman was on his feet applauding. It may be something I get wrong, but although I wish we had won, I don’t really believe that losing a game as good as that to Wales was a national disaster or disgrace.

Neither do I penquin.

I got into trouble this morning. I wear black when I go to the gym. Today, without thought, I put on a shirt decorated on the left chest with a fern and the words “New Zealand”. Whoops!

Are you in England? – it could have been worse you may have been wearing red with Wales lol

Well! “Another 5 points would be wonderful, but I’ll take any win” and we did indeed get another 5 points! Sitting pretty at the top of our pool table and if anyone had said, a couple of weeks ago, that that would happen – I think I might well have laughed. It may not last so we might as well enjoy it. If only we could play two halves in the game next Saturday like the two second halves we’ve already played … (if that makes sense).

I am in England by about 5miles – do most of my canoe/kayaking in Wales. I don’t possess a Welsh shirt, but it could have been worse – I do have one with the Aussie badge on it. Saved by the “black in the gym” habit. Of coursed, if the Kiwis do win I could claim brilliant foresight.

The AB’s next game will see a future star of world rugby arrive on the world scene, this guy could be equal or better than Lomu if he can stay fit and is looked after while he matures, His name is Waisake Naholo, a NZ born Fijian. He’s played 1 test match against the Argies plus he had an amazing Super Rugby season for Otago Highlanders, then he suffered a broken leg

Have a look at his highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6khjoV_oss

This guy is a 96kg (212lbs) human wreaking ball, and I’m picking the poor players from Georgia will be run over many times trying to stop this guy scoring tries.

Irrespective whom you might support watch and enjoy this guy play rugby, he’s going to be around for a long time

Stunningly beautiful morning here in sunny Marlborough – perfect Spring weather, although at 7:30am still a tad chilly. Just about to get up and watch NZ v Georgia. Should be a good win for us but I’m worried about the potential for injury, given Georgia’s rep for hard, physical play. Will be good to see how Waisake goes on his miracle leg! Go the ABs!!

ten minutes to go and this is seriously underwhelming! I hate to think what the score would be if we were playing Australia or South Africa! Yikes guys, you need to pick up your game before the quarters… Dan’s haircut seems to have robbed him of his strength. Yay, Savea just got a third try – makes the score look better but not the play.

The only comment I’ve seen this morning is “All Blacks stutter to unconvincing win”. As a neutral this time, I say it was a win. They all count and if you are going to play at less than your best, it is better done when it doesn’t cost you the game.

I have just watched Japan beat Samoa. For 40 years my contact sports were Rugby and Judo. This Japanese team treats Rugby like Judo – use your opponents strength against him.

Are we getting nervous yet England?

For the record, as a Kiwi I support the All Blacks and anyone playing Australia, but at half time in Aus v Eng, England are going to have to step it up to make the quarters.

I fear that England sealed their fate last week with their ill disciplined display. It isn’t impossible for them to win this match but I’ll be surprised if they manage it.

Damn, the Ozzies played well, or was it the Poms playing badly, whatever looks like Ozzie & Wales through to the Quarters in that half of the draw.

Not a particularly good game from Ireland but a win is a win!

Join the club Coda, it’s not How but How Many points scored at this stage of the Comp.

I wonder how many cheap tickets there are available now for the Finals now our friends in White won’t be there??? Could be worth a quick trip over if ticket prices came down a bit

Wallabies supporter here. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the game yesterday. After a decade or more of watching the England forwards monster the Wallabies and steamroll over the top of our more talented backs it felt like karma.

Good to see bigmouth Clive Woodward having to eat his words.

Having said that, I have plenty of English mates and I share their annoyance at the stupid draw which sees England out of the tournament before the pools stage has even finished.

Ticket sales, TV viewing and the general buzz of the Cup will be diminished as a result.

Couldn’t agree more with you Hans (not very often a Kiwi agrees with an Oz, but there you go πŸ™‚

Your guys played as well or even better than their last game in Sydney when they rolled the AB’s. Hope they haven’t peaked too early mate…

Hansen’s boys are on a slow steady build up, 14 points from 3 games including 2 BP’s, the same as Ireland and France so we are all on track

Anyway looks like a very interesting final week of Pools, a couple of big games coming up, the Ireland v France one the most interesting for the AB’s, will determine whom we play at Cardiff in the first QF, talk about deja vu if Ireland beats France…..

Hi Action Hero, you are right there are some very interesting games coming up.

Looks like it would be foolish to rule out Wales, Ireland, France or the Boks at this stage, with the All Blacks probably certainties to be in the final.

All Blacks are playing their cards very close to their chests. They don’t fool me with their low profile games so far. As we all know they have the ability to step up through several gears depending upon what the opposition throws at them.

I do wonder whether the Wallabies have peaked too early. Any of the players who starred yesterday are capable of having off days. I still had my heart in my mouth up until the point when Farrell was sin-binned. All it needed up until that mistake happened was an England score and I think the Twickenham crowd support might have carried the locals onto a nail biting win in the final minutes.

Would be good to see an All Blacks / Wallabies final but a lot of water to flow under the bridge before then. My wife comes from Nelson so those AB / Wallabies games are a bit of a grudge match in my home. Sometimes end up not talking for a week or two afterwards πŸ™‚

And don’t forget the Yarpies, they have bounced back after their first shocker against Japan, but the loss of de Villiers is a hard one for them to fill.

I live in a household with an English born wife, albeit she was very young when she left and I’m reminded often enough when it suits, however at times like this she’s a Kiwi…..

Hans…I am an English born Aussie married to a Kiwi. I feel your pain as our house can be pretty emotional come Bledisloe time.

Great game by the Wallabies…but they can be inconsistent. Lets see what happens against Wales.

If I may add a 5:2 comment to this thread, not only have I seen England knocked out, I have put on 5 pounds doing it. Too much television with a drink in hand.

The comments from you guys I expect and can live with – the last time I was at Twickenham we had a lot of fun with the Aussie supporters. It is the “I told you so” and “the management must go” from the English media that is a pain. We got rid of the management too quickly the last time we failed to be world champions.

I live about 5 miles from Wales, spend a lot of time there and very recently have considered buying a red shirt. Unfortunately I can’t sing.

Ahhh PENGUIN, I know the feeling very well, Sunday 7 October 2007, the whole of NZ was stunned, Wayne Barnes was our most favorite pin up person for every dart board in the country, drink was our only comfort then too. You’ll get over it mate, go and have a nice warm Tetley Bitter there’s only 140 calories per 440mls

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/tetleys-original-bitter-45445075

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Action Hero, for your fellow feeling I thank you. But Tetley? Graffiti seen in a local pub, “Don’t take the piss out of Tetley. It needs all the flavour it can get”

Morning all. Well Ireland need to improve 100% if we are going to top the pool! I am sure they were thinking of the match next Sunday whilst playing yesterday πŸ™‚

I will be there to cheer them on so they had better not disappoint.

It has been a tough weekend in our house as my English hubby is very sad about the loss – but to be fair he is honest enough to say that England just didn’t play well enough. He is now wearing green and learning Gaelic!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

FITZY: Regarding Irelands last game, don’t worry. I play golf and there is a saying on the golf course “You don’t draw pictures on a score card how you played the hole, you just write down the score, that’s all that matters” A win is a win, take it and move on, I’m sure Hubby would agree if he could as well. Tell him every Kiwi here in NZ feels sooooo sorry for England and we offer him our fondest thoughts during these times of sadness (tongue in cheek emote) πŸ™‚

PENGUIN: OK, my knowledge of Pommie beers is limited, sorry for offending πŸ™‚ Love your graffiti quote…. we have beers like that here in NZ too

Speights. Elixer of the Gods. I love that stuff. Isn’t Tetleys a tea?

EXPAT Now you are talking, I was born in Dunedin, the home of Speights Brewery. Remember this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lR1sEn8nMI

Here we go People, get in before the price goes up after the final of the Cup. Official signed AB Team jersey, only $1595.00 (that’s NZ dollars too, about 800euro for those over there)

http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/dbimages/sfx49539.jpg

Don’t say Mike isn’t helpful to all my Rugby friends

Ha ha Mike you are right. My Hubby would definitely trade places with me right now! I know we have qualified and to be honest neither the ABs or Argies will be an easy match so I am just enjoying the moment that we are through to the next round.

I have been looking on websites and there are quite a few tickets have been put up for sale by disappointed English fans so if not extortionate we might try and get some more!

Looking forward to the weekend πŸ™‚

Yes, Tetleys is also a tea. The tea is OK. Loved those Speights ads – reminded me of the day I spent in the Commonwealth Brewery, Boston Massachussets, waiting for a blizzard to stop so I could fly home. My wife has been trying to persuade me to come to NZ for an imminent big anniversary. If she had said pies and good beer the argument would be over.

When we visited NZ in 2011 we watched Ireland v Italy in Dunedin and took the Speights tour whilst there. It was great in the tasting room at the end! We also had a tour of Cadburys!

We/I were disappointed not to take in a local game of rugby whilst there as I believe in Dunedin they have a particularly interesting game at times! lol

Getting very excited about the rugby this weekend. On Saturday we are watching Wales v Australia in the pub with our Welsh mates and then off to Cardiff the next morning for the France v Ireland match. Cannot wait – we have a good record against France so long may it continue!! πŸ™‚

Well JFitzy, every Irish or French supporter should be getting very very nervous about now, neither team will want to play the AB’s in their QF so the final game in that Group is going to be a beauty, like you, can’t wait to watch it Monday morning our time here in NZ. I’m backing the Irish to win and top their pool which will mean deja vu for the AB’s however much more confident this Cup in the AB’s to put the French away and advance to the Semis

I know AH it is a huge game for both teams! I dreamt last night that Paul O’Connel scored a try in the opening minute ??? Hopefully it will turn out to be true!!!

Well! we’re into the quarter finals, but gosh! that was a bit nail-biting. Too many mistakes, poor decisions. Scottish confidence is such a fragile thing. And now, Australia …. [‘gulp’ emoticon]

ELFSTONE: Don’t let the Ozzies intimidate you, they couldn’t score a try against Wales which must be worrying them after that match, it’s all about on the day and everyone’s beatable

Well done Scotland and Ireland, both very good wins, I think the Scot/Samoa match the best one of the Tournament so far for good open flowing rugby and a result that was always in the balance

AB’s v France at Cardiff in QF’s (again) There are many nervous Kiwis here in NZ now who remember 2007 hwoever I think our frame of mind is so much better now than it was then so I’m at least positive in the outcome

Hi AH what a fantastic match! We had a fab day in Cardiff. I have been to the Millenium Stadium many times before but never with the roof closed. It was 90% Irish so like a home game. I am so happy but grieving the loss of Sexton, O’Connel ans Peter O’Mahony ?

I watched the replay of the Australia Wales game expecting a fabulous spectacle but it was a bit disappointing in terms of play. I thought Wales looked more sluggish than they had in past games, but the Australian defence was amazing, especially with two men down!

Well, AH, a chance to finally lay that Cardiff 2007 ghost to rest – I’m more worried about Australia in the final than France in the quarters!

And well done Ireland and Scotland. Great to see all Great Britain’s teams in the quarters. Oh no, wait. England got knocked out……

Ha ha lol!

“Don’t let the Ozzies intimidate you, they couldn’t score a try against Wales ”
    – that’s a very positive thought Action Hero; our defence has been reasonably good so far and at last Scottish backs are scoring tries, which is a good thing! Well, we can only hope! πŸ™‚

So sorry for the Irish; losing 3 key players in one game – not good. πŸ™

ELFSTONE: I meant to comment earlier, Scotland is very lucky having John Hardie playing for you guys, he plays for the NZ Team I support, the Otago Highlanders who won the Super 15 Rugby comp this year. He’s a Southland boy, born in Lumsden, you can’t get better rugby stock than that. Seemingly his Grannie came from Scotland so that’s his qualification for the Blue jersey. He’s a quality No 7 and would compete well with Ritchie McCaw here in NZ.

Good luck against Ozzie, if the Scots can put them under some early pressure Ozzie have been known to collapse and fall apart in the forwards then if Scotland’s backs can capitalise it will be all on.

Action Hero…I am a Wallaby supporter but my favourite NZ team are the Highlanders. My husband supports the Crusaders…makes for interesting discourse.

I always support the AB’s if the Wallabies are not playing and most Aussies I know do. It always surprises me how much the New Zealanders hate Australians. I went to watch a few games in Dunedin (on the terraces) and was nearly was mugged because I wore a Wallabies jersey. I’ve never seen Kiwis treated like that in Aussie. Never fails to surprise me.

But I will get my own back one day. We own a place in Wanaka and Richie McCaw is a neighbour so I am going to hang the biggest mother Wallabies flag over my verandah when he’s visiting although I may have to tie my husband up before I do. πŸ™‚

EXPAT: “hate” is a word I wouldn’t call it, “friendly, intense, competition” is more like it, you guys are big in everything you participate in and little NZ can only punch above our weight in certain areas like Rugby and League, so we try hard and normally win our share.

Like all Kiwis we mostly support all NZ teams and anyone else who plays Ozzie, just because we do, a bit like the Scots against the Poms, it’s all about History and it comes down to “tradition” without anything else too vindictive.

I have been to a couple of Bledisloe Cup games in Ozzie and like you, if I wear a Silver Ferm amongst the croud I’m given enough grief to make it exciting. I also play a lot of golf in Ozzie and some of my best friends are Ozzie Golfers, but we still hassle each other about our two teams.

Anyway, go the Highlanders, I spent many a great Christmas and New Year in Wanaka as a teenager, know the place very well, have attended many great and memorable New Years parties at Glendu Bay and Wanaka, so well done you for still enjoying that part of Otago.

We will swap further notes in a couple of weeks time after the Semis and Finals and I’m sure one of us will have the bragging rites πŸ™‚

Expat, welcome to my world – the English get that from the other nations constantly. Under normal circumstances I would suggest you regard it as a sign of their insecurity but since we departed so early………

A Pom walks into a bar.

In the usual story there is normally a Welsh man, an Irish man, and a Scotsman in the same bar, except this time they are still at the world cup…. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately that doesn’t work. I live so close to Wales that our village pub is full of Welshman watching a large screen TV.

My neighbour, who is Welsh, went to the Ireland game in Cardiff. He was surrounded by Irish supporters who gave him a can of beer every time he cheered for Ireland. As a doctor he really should know better than drink that much.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply.