Buttonboots – My weightloss journey….

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Buttonboots – My weightloss journey….

This topic contains 432 replies, has 70 voices, and was last updated by  london2012 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 437 total)

• Well done on the weight loss. An inspiration. I love this way of eating too and am hoping against hope to make it down into the next stone by weigh in on Tuesday.
    I have to agree with the boobs. I always had boobs even when size 10 or 12. I have never been this heavy before and could not believe how horribly big all the upper body fat got. To make matters worse my legs hardly changed so I look like a misshapen peanut with legs. LOL
    Must be great to have a zip again! I am still in elastic waist jeggings!!
    Keep at it my friend, I am right behind you. Think I may do a diary myself. Why not, I’ve got nothing lose but fat!!

Thanks Beverley!

There is a ‘joke’ in our family that I went to bed one night, aged bout 11, with a flat chest….and woke up the next morning a size 36C…and kept on growing!…I actually got to the size where I couldn’t buy a bra to fit – especially difficult as I need an almost pure cotton bra….I was thrilled to lose enough weight to be able to buy from Ample Bosom!

You should definitely keep a diary…..I started this one so that I can have a reference for when I get disheartened! It is good to see how fart I have come!

Good luck for Tuesday’s weigh-in!

Just a short update today….ugh I am feeling rough!

(I feel somewhat bloated and am a little constipated…and doesn’t THAT bode well for weighing in!….and my skin has erupted in horrid spots – which are being treated pronto!)

Other than that….not a bad week or so!

The weather is getting really chilly. So porridge is my go-to breakfast…still a few blueberries available, but they will soon be unavailable and I’ll be looking for other fruity toppings…might get in some frozen berries.

Mum has been busy making soup…thick pea soup and a lovely warming lentil soup…portions of both are in my freezer! I will make some joghurt tonight, I think, and then strain it to make soft cheese (some for me, some for Mum), I’ll have to see what fresh herbs I can get hold of to add to the cheese- chives would be good…Home made soup, with a thick slice of homemade bread spread with homemade cheese…delicious! (But note to self…stop after one slice of bread…we KNOW you can easily polish off a whole loaf in one sitting!)

So…the scales…I was so NOT looking forward to this….

15 stone…1 1/2 pounds

Oh! I can live with that!…Pretty much a stay-the-same….I would have liked a loss, but am not going to mither about staying the same – not with my tum feeling so rough!…the weight WILL come off!…not long and I WILL see the end of typing in 15 stone something and be in to the 14 s!

Here we go again…another Sunday!

The tummy and skin problems are still here, but are settling down. It has been somewhat draining, but I have tried to stay productive – and keep my mind off tasty high-fat snacks! (In the past, when I get days when I can barely move, it has been so easy to eat…and eat…and eat!)I have kept my knitting basket and my sewing bag close to hand, as well as my puzzle book and my Kindle!

Another cold week – salads are losing their appeal, but there are lovely hot soups to comfort me instead. Lots of warming spices to eat up food is always good, doubly so in cold weather…so a dash of wasabi in my homemade fishcakes, chilli in the tomato sauce for pasta, and loads of black pepper in my no fat/low cal veggie soup.

I have found an amazing spicy ketchup – just a little goes a long way…I currently love it brushed onto low fat sausages before grilling mmmmmmmmmmmmmm…..and I’m very happy to see Brussels Sprouts are coming into the shops now. I do love sprouts!

Now….I think I would like a fanfare for today please…and a big drum roll…..yes, it is time for the recording of the weight!….and…..

14 Stone ….13.2 pounds

*Does the Snoopy Happy Dance

I didn’t really expect that so soon! I am under the 15 stone mark! Okay it is only JUST under….but I’m there!

Oh well done Buttonboots. You sound so happy on this grey Sunday morning.

This is a good way of life a few ups and downs along the way.. but defiantly worth sticking at.

Lost 13lbs myself and hoping for that magic stone number on Tues way in.

Have a good day.

That’s awesome buttonboots. Well done you 🙂

wow!!!

Just wow!!!!!!

That is great. You are doing so well and being so strong – go girl ?

As ever, a true inspiration Buttonboots 🙂 You have come so far 🙂 Amazing x

Okay so it’s not my usual update/weigh-in day!

It’s been a tough week or so in many ways!

First of all, the tummy issues have flared up – some sort of bug going around. It is so draining and I just feel all bleargh!….and this run-down feeling is probably what has brought on the skin issues…..PERFECT!

Then….big family birthday time. I know I can cope with this…arrange the fasting for non-celebration days wherever possible. Enjoy one slice of my favourite cake and then sip loads of coffee!…But then the relatives arrive!!!!! On the whole, I actually have a good family, we are closer than many families….but there are times when I just can’t take ANYONE!

One of the relatives arrived and was moaning about her weight (yes, she mentioned the fact that I seem a little lighter!!!!)…Firstly, of all the family she has the LEAST to worry about weight wise (and I KNOW it is all relative, for a skinalgee like her then a few pounds IS a big deal!…she probably is seriously upset about it!)…and she has some GORGEOUS clothes that his the surplus pounds…..And then there is another family member who has lost weight and everyone, I mean EVERYONE is commenting on it! My loss is slow but steady and this suits me, so why am I jealous of her fantastic results? 4 stone off in a few months!!!!

No I will NOT be jealous!…..I have tried on the jeans again….reminding myself that they have a ZIP!….and I can wear a bra!…and look at those Ps I bought….from the HIGH STREET (not the usual outsize catalogue!)…No jealousy needed (well just a little???) I have done well!

I have treated myself to a new jigsaw puzzle…something to keep my fingers out of the biscuit tin in the evenings!….and there was a sale of Kindlebooks, so I have a couple of thrillers to keep me busy too…..as well as my usual craft projects.

I found a recipe for a curried fish dish that sounds as if I could adapt it to fit a fasting day…white fish, which I will marinade in joghurt and curry spices before baking…served with cauliflower ‘rice’…the recipe includes coconut and almonds which I will ignore…or maybe add a few slivers of flaked almond near the end of cooking for flavour and crunch?

No weight record for today!….I am so bloated with the tummy bug and seriously don’t need to see how much the gas weighs!!!!!

Hi Buttonboots

We spoke once before. Sorry to hear you have the tummy stuff!! And have had the irritating relative stuff!!

I have been pondering how much gas weighs and thought it was weightless? How can we capture some and weigh it? lol Do know a mug of coffee weighs 8 lbs so best if I weigh before having it.

Glad to hear those jeans still zip up. I rely on elasticated waistbands myself…and comfy slippers. Good that you can shop on the high street. Have you bought much? Plenty of time for catching up I guess.

See you soon. Bev x

Buttonboots,

So sorry you’ve had a ‘bleargh’ week.

Well done on tolerating the hoards! I know exactly what you mean about ‘sometimes’ not wanting to deal with anyone 🙂

I don’t know if you’re familiar with The Desiradata? But reading your latest post, some of it sprang to mind!

‘If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater or lesser persons than yourself’.

When you say EVERYONE is commenting on your ‘4 stone off in a few months’ family member, do you suppose for a minute that anyone outside her circle of family/ friends/ colleagues knows about her weight loss?

You, however, have lost more than 4 stone (perhaps twice as much?), and are an inspiration to people around the world with your grit, determination, commitment and humour.

She’s just following a different path, you have no reason to be jealous.

Hi Buttonboots

you do know that we are all in awe of you, don’t you? I know I am one of many who look forward to your updates, because you inspire us all!

I found out last week that a couple of my neighbours didn’t want to mention my weight loss, they had seen me holding onto my hubby and assumed the loss was through illness – bugger and there was me thinking I was looking amazing, t’would seem I look as if I am at death’s door! They must think I’m too old to walk arm in arm with my hubby too!

And someone else, who is quite good with the cutting remarks – we all know the type – gushed that I had ‘finally’ managed to lose AT LEAST half a stone – it was nearly two at the time – out loud in a room full of people.

There are times that, like Happy, I refer to desiderata, though in this case the verse ‘Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit’ come to mind!

Travel hopefully …………..

It is Sunday afternoon…and it is SO cold!….Slushy cold rain for 2 days solid! And isn’t getting dark really early!….Most scary of all though…it is advent next week….how did THAT come around so quickly?!!!!

Right …first thing…thanks for the lovely comments! Sometimes I just find family a little difficult to cope with…much as I love them all to bits!

Whatever the tummy bug I had/have was it was darned persistent! It has apparently hit a few of the people in this housing block. Some of the folks here are pretty old and infirm – so I guess I’ve been lucky to get away with it so lightly!

I took a couple of coats to the charity shop….there was still a lot of ‘wear; in them but they were just hanging off me (5XL…and trust me, I never want to be that size again!)….maybe someone else will be able to make use of them.

I’ve been eating lots of soups this last week or so…sausage, tomato and barley is a favourite (one low fat sausage per portion) with loads of spices, so warming and filling.

I bought some plums which didn’t seem to want to ripen…so I poached them – no sugar just a little cinnamon. Delicious on top of porridge in the morning…and equally good with a blob of home made joghurt on as a snack when watching Strictly……one of the very few times I allow myself the luxus of a snack when watching TV!

So…it was back onto the scales this morning…not without a great deal of nerves…..it’s been a week or so….closed my eyes as I stepped on…then squinted to see the result….

14 stone…13.2 pounds

It’s the same!….I didn’t put on despite the bloating!…..I am still under the 15 stone! (Who’d have thought I’d feel this good on a stay-the-same week!)

Strict planning needed for the next month…4 weeks of Advent…and that means coffee and a little ‘something’ every Sunday….thankfully the Plan allows for that – and I don’t generally have Sunday as a fast day.

(I don’t DO fixed targets…but sometimes allow a flexible ‘hope’…..o, maybe I could get to 14 1/2 stone for the New Year?…..even if I don’t make it I will be closer to it than I am now!…being under 15 stone is still pretty unbelievable!)

Buttonboots, I also look forward to your updates 🙂 I completely understand about other people getting comments on their weightloss, its been happening to me at work. No one has mentioned mine (not that its a great loss, but still) .. the girl who sits next to me has had comments galore. Lets not be jealous, in the long run we’ll have the weightloss that stays off 🙂

Stay strong, I think you’re doing an amazing job! Hope your tummy troubles are easing a bit. I have IBS so I know how horrible and uncomfortable it can feel. Big hugs! xx

Here we go again…Sunday….and 2nd Sunday in Advent.

The weather has got a little warmer but not much! Last night was pretty windy – it was howling all night! Thankfully it is not raining so far this morning.

I had a dental appointment this week – just a check up but I am a total wuss with the dentist. I was hoping for a super-doper weight loss this week as I think I must have sweated at least a stone away in the day or so before the appointment!!!! …..(Yes, I know it is unlikely I actually sweated that much….and even if I did, the weight would go back on with the first glass of water….but you’d think there would be SOME compensation for braving the dentist chair!) No immediate treatment needed, but I have a slight crack in one back filling and will have to go back in February to have that seen to. UGH!

It is St Nicholas’ Day today…and according to tradition the good old Saint visits good children and leaves a small gift for them in their slipper….I had a phonecall from Mum last night – she said that St Nicholas can’t manage the stairs up to my second floor flat (there IS a lift!!!!!!) but he has left a small token for me with her! She will come round for Coffee (or possibly Cocoa) and Cookies later this morning…..I have a Hotel Chocolat Caramel Snowflake for her (and will tell her St Nicholas DID come up her and left it for her!)…I love these old traditions!

Other than indulging in plenty of Advent goodies (only on non-fast days!) I have been careful with my food intake this week – ensuring that I stay within my TDEE. …..But have still enjoyed warming food – including comfort food like fish pie and thick pea soup…and curry, which I can also adapt for fast days!

So…..the weigh in….

6 December……14 stone….11.8 pounds

Oooooh that looks like just about a pound and a half off! (Three packets of butter!!!)….Slow but sure!….And it encourages me that I can open my special Christmas box of Turkish Delight (not chocolate covered!) and enjoy a chunk tonight when watching the Strictly dance off (Good to see Jay is still there…love his dancing) – I just adore the fact that I am able to enjoy my pre-Christmas treats (in moderation!) and still lose weight!

Hello Buttonboots… everything has stopped in our house because an hour ago I found your thread and just had to follow it right from the beginning! WOW!…wonderful to read your inspiring journey…not to mention the delicious ideas for fasting food …thank you! I’m one month and 12 packs of butter into 5:2…Yay!…bit worried about Christmas though…you’re right that planning really is the key,(I’ve got a bit of a thing about coloured pens and cloud charts)! Sending you a huge calorie free hug…..
    XXX

Hi, Buttonboots! I have been lurking here on the forums for weeks, and people on other threads mentioned your thread. I have now read yours from the beginning and am so impressed with your determination and willpower. In the face of health problems and medicines that screw up your weight loss, you have powered through and done such an excellent job. You are so totally inspiring and I just wanted you to know that. You will win this fight because you have an awesome attitude. Thank you for starting this thread. Staying tuned to watch your incredible progress!

Thanks for the lovely comments ikandoo and cruzin!

Don’t get me started on coloured pens and charts! I am (amongst other things) High-Functioning Autistic….my LIFE is dominated by planning – I love my coloured charts!…Give me 2 hours to complete a task and I will blissfully spend 90 minutes of my time making a beautiful chart of the task!

So…where are we today? 3rd Sunday in Advent!

It has been a Christmas baking week…I baked Festive Bread (an enriched loaf with almonds, cranberries and oranges with spices)and Mum has made Honey Biscuits (I love them!)….Willpower is now needed!

I ordered a Christmas present for Mum…and got a letter from the company I ordered from this week…they have sold out! Drat! Now I have to find something else for her – and hope it arrives in time! STRESS!!!!!! (I will NOT ease the stress with crisps and biscuits!)

It’s getting quite cold here now….so thick warming soups are on the menu!

Oh …and I was given a home-made advent calendar – really beautiful. Each day gives me a Bible Verse and a Quality Street chocolate!…Well not any more! Now I just get the verses! I opened each little compartment and removed all the choccies! Then I put them in a bag with a pretty bow round it and gave them to a friend – for her grandchildren! I do enjoy chocolates – and have my Christmas treat of a box from Hotel Chocolat….but I don’t need the extra temptation of a chocolate every morning!

So…what did the scales say this morning? (Always extra worrying at this tome of year…so many foodie temptations!)

14 stone …..11.4 pounds

Half a pound gone….(or another pack of butter!)….I can live with that!

Hi Buttonboots,

Popping in to wish you a very happy Christmas! Love the story of your coloured charts :-). You continue to be a wonderful inspiration to so many people here on the 5:2 forum. We also gave the chocolate laden Advent calendar a miss this year for a beautiful one with pictures behind the windows. Enjoy your Christmas day and best wishes for your mother too.

Cheers,
    Merry

Hello Buttonboots.

What wonderful bread and biscuits! Mmmm! Great control with your Advent Calendar…Ours has pictures only; but wish I had done the same for a box of chocolates I found at the back of my food cupboard…had four yesterday, and enjoyed every one… Hmmmm…but it’s a Fast Day today so they are now well hidden again until Christmas!

Congratulations on losing the pack of butter last week, and being down below a target…YAY…onwards and downwards for the 5:2 clan!

Calorie Free Hug…have good week.XXX

p.s. C (husband) bought me new pink, purple and red glittery pens last week as a target reward. Hey Ho!

Sunday again….4th in Advent….nearly Christmas!

How lovely top get a target reward ikandoo! Coloured pens are great….although maybe not glitter for me! …I recently bought a lovely tin of faber Castell blendable crayons.

It has been a hectic week…I am never the most energetic of people – I struggle to even move some days – and there is so much to do in getting ready for Christmas!

I have managed to get into the town centre to hear the choir which was nice….but I missed seeing Santa arrive with his reindeer. (Although I always insist that Santa doesn’t have reindeer…he has a donkey!……but German traditions aside, I do love seeing the reindeer most years!)

Lots of Advent goodies have been on offer this week…on non-fast days I have been careful with my choices, but haven’t denied myself my favourite treats. (Mum’s homemade marzipan ‘bearpaws’ – flattened rolls half-dipped in dark chocolate -were the BEST she’s ever made!)

I have managed my two fasting days – porridge in the morning – very filling and comforting! And a tasty dinner at night…first evening I had chicken with Thai spices and green beans…and then last night I had a seriously spicy chilli(no rice though, I had it on a mound of green veg!)

Now, onto the scales this week….

14 stone…. 10.5 pounds

Oooooh! That is very nearly a pound! Fantastic!

Jay wins Strictly (that young man has hips that are positively indecent!) AND I lose the best part of a pound! Great week!

Not sure what will happen this week…I am planning on fitting in at least one fast day before Christmas Day….lots of visitors expected for coffee and present exchanges (and no German EVER does coffee without cake…not in my experience!)….still I will do my best…and the great thing is that if the ‘worst’ happens and I put on a pound…then I will lose it again…no major worries!

I love your updates Buttonboots. You are an inspiration when I’m struggling. If I can do half as well as you I will be over the moon.

Good to see you are still allowing your self some treats (those bear paws sound amazing) but staying on track with what you are doing. And reaping the rewards for it!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Congratulations on a great week Buttonboots, and thanks for the Christmas wishes. I had a brilliant Christmas surprise early last week. We stayed with my much loved sister in law who is an excellent cook and a generous portion server of the lovely dishes she makes ( with far too many temping side treats!) I was more than a little worried about the visit as I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but I had just reached my new ‘down below’ target and didn’t want to eat lots and lots and lots and lots …as in the past. (Gannet was my middle name once upon a time!!!) Straight into her kitchen at once as we always do to catch up on news and discuss our new cookbooks…and there on her shelf was her latest booksale find…The 5:2 Good Food Kitchen!. Wow! Had I heard about the programme she asked…so…eventually we made a 5:2 chicken dish for lunch, and added a potato extra for the non dieters and non salad eaters in the family – to see if they noticed…and of course they ate everything and loved it!

Enjoy your Christmas and Epiphany treats…I’m being really careful with those now we’re back home, but I think you are right about the extra pound which might sneak back. It can be sneaked off again!

Happy New Year!

xx

Here we go again….Christmas and New Year are over……

I have certainly enjoyed some good food (and the occasional tipple too!) over the festive period…Turkey dinner…mince pies….biscuits….cocoa gin….rich chocolates…..marzipan….and I have enjoyed every decadent mouthful!

On the other hand…I have also managed to get at least one fasting day in each week.

Some years ago, I was given a Christmassy jumper. It is a deep win colour with a large snowflake on the front. I slipped that on one morning…and realised I could only wear it around the house! It is SO large! So, for company I wore the jumper I was given by Mum last year (the first item bought in M&S). …The snowflake jumper will have to be considered seriously…it could either go to the Charity Shop, or I could turn it into a festive cushion (it all depends how much ‘wear’ is honestly left in it)

I was lucky enough to get some very nice presents…including books, an embroidery kit, and a new jigsaw puzzle…so plenty to keep me occupied and away from food!…Plus it will soon be time to start thinking about this years Shoebox Appeal Christmas boxes – I like to get an early start on the knitting!

Less happy was the fact that my lovely old relative spent the New Year break in hospital. Back home now but it was a worrying time – and they will need lots of rest and care….I don’t cope well with stress….and the meds I take make me super-hungry too!

Still….all that is over….time to move forward into the New Year….

And so onto the scales…..*quivers*

deep breath

14 stone…10.6 pounds

WHAT!….That is pretty much a stay-the-same reading! Fantastic!…I have gotten through the holidays without putting on weight!

Yes I know it is a Saturday…but the week has been one of ‘those’ weeks!

My lovely old relative has been back in hospital again…but is out again and thankfully seems to be on the mend! But it all adds to the stress, and as we all know, stress = food!

Then the colder weather has hit…and that means my body starts whimpering for a little comfort food…thankfully I have been doing this 5:2 way of life long enough now to be able to find a compromise!….Veggie Pasta (I do love my spiralizer!) courgettes are my favourite, with tasty tomato (and garlic!) based sauces is very comforting and even possible on a fast day!….when I REALLY need the comfort hit then a banana with a little bit of instant custard hits the spot – I keep a jar of the instant stuff ready for those sorts of comfort-me-NOW! moments, you can make just a spoonful at a time!…

Lovely bit of encouragement yesterday…I popped down to visit Mum for a cuppa and was wearing a fleecy top…’that’s nice,’ she said, ‘you’ll have to wear that more…as much as possible while the weather is cooler’…I nodded, the top is nice, and very warm!…but Mum continued ‘especially as it is looking so big on you now, you’ll need a new fleece-top next winter!’….so looks like that’s yet ANOTHER item of clothing for the local charity shop!

I’m also a little thrilled because I will soon be looking for a new bra…this from someone who not that long ago went bra-less because she couldn’t fit into any bra!….I was almost tearful when I bought my first bra in years (decades????) and now I am looking for a smaller one!

No one prepares you for the expense of needing to buy new clothes when you finally start losing the weight!!!!! It is worth it though!

So, busy day today – so I swapped around the fasting days … and did my weigh in this morning (gotta love the flexibility of 5:2!)

Saturday 9th January….and the scales say…

14 stone …..9.6 pounds

Another pound gone…2 packs of butter!

Dinner tonight is a tasty chicken curry…and even though I am not fasting, I am having it with cauliflower ‘rice’…there was a time it would have been rice and a naan too (and maybe some chips….and perhaps just one bahjee before hand..oh are those samosas?…..and please ensure the naan is peshwari!)…

I live for your updates buttonboots. Well done! You always inspire me. Good bye 2 more packs of butter. And your fleecy top by the sound of it!

Buttonboots, I pop in here early each week with you in mind. Your essays give me a glimpse into a different part of the world. So very interesting.
    Of course, your weight loss journey is more than interesting. Encouraging, inspiring, admirable. You go,girl. 😀

Hi Buttonboots

thought I’d just drop in to say Hello and Frohes neues Jahr! as today I am back on the horse called 5:2 after the Christmas hiatus!

Check ebay for clothes – new and second hand – I bought a lovely cashmere coat for twenty pounds – size 14, I thought it would be too small but, if anything, a bit big – but not complaining, can layer underneath. I’m not really a 14 yet, soon though! They do some lovely underwear at good prices too!

Saw a couple of rails of clothes in Sainsbury’s last night, all one pound an item – might be worth checking – and the bras in M&S outlet can be surprisingly cheap.

I must have bras going back thirty years – so I just need to open cases and work my way down the sizes, so pleased as many of them are really pretty – I used to work in Miss Selfridge and got addicted to buying underwear – that was many years ago, but I don’t seem to have lost the habit!

As usual, gobsmacked at your losses! You should write a book! You certainly have the basis in your diaries – in a world where the celebs are churning out weight loss books at 10 a penny, usually the same celebs – a story where there are no quick fixes, personal trainers or gimicky fads, just true grit – would be appreciated – and you could always get one of the bra manufacturers to sponser you!!!

Hope 2016 gets you to maintenance!!!

milena x

Hello Buttonboots…great hint about the banana and custard! Thanks! I’m on new (temporary I hope, but you know how it is) meds which have made me hungrier than usual, and the Monday fast day wasn’t a pleasure this week….But…discovered that a half teaspoonful of jelly from the day’s allowance, dissolved very slowly on the tongue and followed by sips of water did the trick. Cravings went, and the day was recovered.

Congratulations of the Big Fleece moment!…hope you found bargains at the sales.

xx

Here we go again on another Sunday!

Thanks for all the lovely comments!….the idea of writing a book is actually tempting! Under another name I have written a very specific type of fiction online….and some years ago I had a few articles published in specialist magazines – but most of what I have to say on dieting has already been published in the 5:2 books…….Getting to Maintenance this year would be amazing – but I don’t know how feasible it would be…I’m still not sure of where I want to set my goal-weight…but I am thinking another 3 or 4 stones? Maybe a bit more? I will see how I feel as I get lower. Even if I don’t lose all I want this year – then I KNOW that the end of the year will see me weighing less than at the start – and that is enough for me!

It has been quite a busy week again. I live in sheltered accommodation and this week we were told that one day this week the Water Board will be doing something to the pipes (I think it is ‘flushing’) This will mean we can’t use the laundry – so I have been busily getting everything done so I can avoid any laundry this week.

I had a package arrive this week – with part of my Christmas money/vouchers I bought myself a small blender for making smoothies and shakes. I can see the benefits – lovely drinks packed full with veggies and fruits….I can also see the drawback – a shake CAN be packed with veggies….but can also be packed with milk, joghurt, nuts, bananas, oats, honey and peanut butter (according to a sumptuous recipe I was given!) – a quick calculation showed this small drink contained close to 400 calories! (And seriously, I could drink a double sized portion as a snack!…it was 150mls of milk – not that much really!)….this blender can be a good friend – but needs to be strictly monitored! I am planning on a spinach, cucumber and apple shake made with a little coconut water this afternoon.

I have been trying to extend my fasting-window…even on my non-fast days. So, pushing breakfast forward a little and eating my main meal no later than 6pm – and nothing after that whenever possible.

Time to look at the scales then….

24th January…….14 stones…8 pounds

WOW! Very please with that! It’s a pound and a half gone!

Not fasting today – but feeling encouraged by that weight loss!

Hi Buttonboots

there may have been a great deal written about 5:2, but for me you are the pin-up of 5:2!!!

Your story is amazing and inspiring! No bells and whistles, just quiet determination. Your journey is a real page turner though.

Hear Hear Milena!

Yes, agree with Milena, Buttonboots you are the star of the forum.

Definitely should publish these pages. Its so very readable.

Best wishes for the rest of your journey.Xx

Awwwwww thanks!

*seriously blushing*!

Hi Buttonboots… I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for next instalment. What a journey you have been on. I am just beginning mine. I have dabbled with 5:2 a bit but now is the time to really commit and just get on with it. I love your posts. And I love the way you tell us about the food you eat and like to make – everything sounds truly scrumptious.

I hope I can manage to make the lifestyle change you have made. One thing I must do is stop weighing myself every day. Not helpful for me. I must do this once a week and record.

A very well done on your steady weight loss. You have got me back into attack mode, time to pick up the gauntlet again…

Treena….well done on getting back on track. For me, this way of eating really works. Maybe I don’t get the ‘I lost seven stone in a fortnight’ type of results, but it is slowly but surely and it is staying off!….and yes, I am a total foodie! I live in sheltered housing with what amounts to a kitchenette rather than a fully equipped kitchen, but I make the most of limited space and enjoy working out how to make the most out of 500 calories.

I had a disaster a week or so ago….my faithful old laptop died on me! I just woke up one morning and it just made these really sad ‘sighing’ noises and was unable to boot up. It took a few days before I could go looking for a replacement. And being on disability means that I needed to rejig finances a bit to get the necessary funds. It felt really strange to be offline – but at least I still had reading ,knitting and art to keep me busy!….I now have the new laptop – but it will take a while to get used to it – everything seems to be in a different place!

I made some joghurt last week, and turned half of the batch into soft creamy cheese. The same day a friend of Mum’s came to visit and brought a gift – fresh fig-and-walnut bread. Now, I know my limits! I had that bread sliced and in the freezer before I could even get a good sniff at it! I do so love bread and cheese! And I have no illusions about my willpower – I would have easily polished off that whole loaf in one sitting! …The beauty of 5:2 of course is that I CAN have my bread and cheese – but on non-fast days, and taking out just a slice at a time from the freezer!

I am still loving my blender/smoothie maker. One of my aims this year has been to cut right back on the diet-pop. I know they are sugar/calorie/fat free but I don’t believe they are actually that good for me. It has been a few weeks now since I had any. Smoothies are terrific when I want a drink to sip……provided of course that I am careful about what goes into it! My current go-to favourite is water, spinach, cucumber and just a couple of grapes – delicious. And I have been exploring nutmilk too as a base for drinks on non-fast days.

Shrove Tuesday coming up this week…I don’t want to forego the enjoyment of pancakes…but as ever, restraint will be the order of the day. Nothing wrong with pancakes – but I will concentrate on ONE sort of filling and maybe not the bacon, banana and peanut butter that I love as a combo but is rather high in fat/calories! I think I will go for a savoury pancake – Mum does some with herbs in the batter..and maybe some garlic mushrooms with a little of my joghurt cheese stirred through for a slight creaminess?

Right then….time for noting down what the scales said this morning…

14 stone…6.8 pounds.

Yes! there goes the 14 and a half stone barrier! I’ll be starting the journey down to ’13 stone something’ before too many weeks are up! And who would have thought THAT would ever happen!

Sunday again! And today is Valentines Day…..in the past I have loathed Valentines Day – partly because I see it as rank consumerism (if you love someone then you can give them presents and tell them you love them ANY day of the year!….and yes, Mothers Day is the same – and whilst I give Mum a token then, but I also let her know she is the world’s best Mum every other day of the year too!), but also because I am single! Is there anything more depressing than having romance shoved in your face when you are all alone?….I have always consoled myself with my faith- God loves me just as I am…but this year I am going one step more – I am going to do my best to love myself! (something which does not always come naturally to me – long long looooooong story!)

So, this past week has been COLD. I have been doing a fair amount of knitting – I think I have got the idea of using the cable needle. This means that teddy will shortly have a nice chunky sweater!

I managed to settle for two small but delicious pancakes on Tuesday. And I am still off the fizzy drinks – it has been surprisingly easy to give those up. Working with a longer fasting window is coming along too – even on a non-fast day I like to try and stick to only eating between 8am and 6pm. (The trickiest part is if there is something I want to watch on TV….my brain needs to keep prompting my belly into accepting that TV does not need snacks!)

Oh and I tried on a jacket this week, in a store. It was a size 22…but I could see it was a ‘small’ 22 (Why can’t there be consistency in sizing????) – I tried it on – and it fit! I could even do the zip up! I didn’t but it – it was very short – almost cropped. But I DID feel good that I could get into it!

Right…time for the scales…..

14 stone…5 pounds

WELL!!!! That was unexpected! Just over a pound and a half! I am well-pleased with that! Best Valentines Gift I can give myself!

Buttonboots, you are amazing and a joy. I look forward to reading your inspirational posts each week. Thank you for sharing.

Buttonboots, it certainly *is* important to love yourself. And it confounds me why you wouldn’t when it’s clear from your posts that you are an intelligent, loving, resourceful, diligent person and astoundingly upbeat for the challenges in your life.

It’s sad that people overlook overweght people but I don’t doubt for even a moment that you will one day NOT be overweight and people will respond to you very differently and appreciate all those wonderful qualities.

Meanwhile, how exciting that a size 22 jacket fit! It must feel exhilarating!

Oh Buttonboots, you have inspired us with your journey and made many of us determined to succeed with ours. We love you.

A Doctor was treating me for severe depression many years ago. I didn’t like myself much then. He said: ‘You are a beautiful person. Never forget to smile at yourself every time you pass a mirror.’ While I did think at the time that he ought,perhaps, to see an optician, I decided to do as he suggested…and I still do…because somehow it works wonders on self esteem. On days when I look like a badly constructed snowman, my image makes me laugh….and on the good days I’m able think positive thoughts, and take one more step along the world!

Congratulations on the jacket! Good thing that you didn’t buy it though…because this time next year it will be too big! Yay!

Sending you a calorie free hug…
    xxx

Ach, you are all sweethearts!

Yes, I do try and stay positive – as far as within me lies. Bad days come – but they go again!…I have a favourite ‘life mottto’ – ‘disability will always be a part of me, but it will never be the boss of me’!

As for mirrors….I moved in to this flat 2 or so years ago, and it was the first place in decades that I agreed to have a mirror! It is not full length, but a fairly large one in the bathroom. Up until then I relied on a small handbag mirror to check my hair and that was it! I really don’t like mirrors! It’s not just that I don’t like looking at myself – I don’t look at ANYONE! Changing room mirrors really freak me out!….I think this is all part and parcel of the Autism – I can’t ‘read’ faces, so avoid looking at them…..I am in my 50s and only now learning to look at my own face!

Which is not to say I have no body issues! Years of bullying at school and other stuff really left deep scars – but I am learning to cope with this – and to see my own awesome beauty!…There is a beautiful Bible verse that tells my I am fearfully and most wonderfully made…I love that!

Anyway…enough wittering!….fasting day planned for tomorrow – I m going to try some miso soup , something I haven’t tasted before….and I have a couple of eggs to use up, so maybe an omelette in the evening?….I have already eaten my evening meal, but it is a decent TV night (X Files followed by Suits) so I need to be strong and resist the temptation of TV snacks!

Monday morning….and I am feeling very ‘sluggish’….I have made the decision NOT to look too hard at my weight this week!

Last week I had a good week – right up until Friday! I had managed one fast day, and been ‘reasonable’ on the other 5 days – Saturday was planned as a second fast day – and then the usual Sunday weigh-in…….as they say, Man proposes and God disposes!

Friday night I ended up taking meds….and when I woke , I just KNEW that fasting was out of the question. I managed a fairly ‘reasonable’ day food wise on Saturday, but it did mean that weight loss was probably not on the cards…..so, I am just allowing myself to relax mentally, and I will try and fit in the usual 2 fast days this week and get back on track….who knows, I night even fit a 3rd fast in just for this week.

Wise decision!…best wishes for the coming week!
    x

Hey Buttonboots! Another huge fan here! I’ve just read your journey & was so pleased to find that it is current & that you have continued to post regularly, almost without fail. Amazing! You really give me hope.

I too have been over 22 stone at my heaviest but embarked on 5:2 last October at around 18 St 7 lbs. With a few ups & downs in between I now weigh 15 St 10 lbs. However, I have hovered around this weight for over a month now & was starting to lose focus and comfort myself with (comfort) food (again)! It’s a real struggle & at times feels like my body is pushing me to cram all that weight back on as quickly as possible. But I really, REALLY don’t want to do that.

Reading your blog has given me the motivation to keep going. You are so right about not setting targets but just to keep pushing on & enjoy each small success. I realise now how good I have been at setting myself up to fail. An important lesson that may have just saved me!

Your strength & determination humbles me Buttonboots. I salute you!

Hi Buttonboots 🙂 I think relaxing mentally is definiately the most important thing sometimes. To be gentle with yourself 🙂

Stay strong, you have come so far!!

I do look forward to your updates, sending good wishes your way x

Hi Buttonboots,

I hope you are feeling chipper again. It sounds like, inspite of some lousy challenges, you are generally an upbeat person. That optimism will pick you up and keep you moving. Yay, you!

Buttonboots,I have a question: why the name “Buttonboots”? (If it is not too personal a question) I am thinking it is a British thing. I am from Ohio, so not at all British. The nearest I’ve come is having watched Downton since the second episode of the first year. ( I got hooked early on.)

Anyway, hope you’re well. 😀

Thanks folks for the lovely messages and support!

Terry – why Buttonboots? Well, I use a couple of different usernames online…and one of them is Buttonboots. From an early age I had a bit of a thing for Victorian/Edwardian fashion – it looked so elegant – and I have always been anything BUT elegant! I really wanted to wear a long skirt and a pair of button boots! (The short, barely ankle length ones) ….they are still available – especially as series like Downton brought them back in fashion! – but unfortunately I can only wear really wide, flat shoes (I generally wear just 2 or 3 styles of Hotters extra wide fitting flats)….so I guess the name is sort of the closest I will get to owning a pair!

As for the upbeat and positive…I thank my lovely Mum for that. She has been the most amazing support over the years. She gas also been a terrific example of staying positive no matter what life throws at you (and it has thrown some pretty rotten stuff her way too!)….and a strong Christian faith helps too!

I needed a good attitude this morning! I managed 3 fasting days this week to ‘make up’ for the single fast last week. …stepped on the scales and….

14 stone…. 6 pounds

I GAINED a pound? How did that happen? Stupid scales………oh wait a minute…I KNOW what happened…I was at the dentist this week…I had two minor fillings (I chipped the enamel on a back tooth) …..so clearly those fillings weigh about a pound each!…so REALLY I have LOST a pound!!!!!!….okay maybe my logic is a little skewed there, but honestly a gain goes against logic this week.

I could understand if I had been a bit ‘naughty’ during the week, but it is a bot rough to have been so good and still get a smack in the face from the scales……but, it is one week…and one pound. I can’t see how it happened, and no amount of self-reproach is going to change the scales….I will just see it as one of ‘those things’…I gained a pound…I will lose it again. (Trust me…I had a half hour or so this morning where I was less than positive!)

I have also treated myself this week….I am not going to limit my treating-myself to weeks when I lose weight! So, I have bought a new lipstick – and am bravely trying something new..I tend to wear muted pinks and browns….but this week I bought one in a soft purple. (lipstick is the only cosmetic product u can wear, due to skin issues)….and then I have had a booktoken tucked away and decided to use it. I collect old books – mainly school stories from the ‘classic’ age of the 1920 -1970s – and treated myself to a reprint on one of the Chalet School series.

So….positive attitude, and onwards with a new week.

Hi Buttonboots.

Just love this thread. Always so very positive.

Hope you are enjoying your treats and best wishes for this week. Xx

Buttonboots,
    What fun to read your posts. “Hotters”? “Chalet School” series? All new words to me.
    A new lipstick is a perfect treat–so good for self esteem with zero calories.
    You’ll get that one pound off, for sure. I can’t remember if you’ve ever reported a gain. You seem to lose steadily.
    Have a great week. 😀

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 437 total)

You must be logged in to reply.