Building muscle !

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  diverdog 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Hi fasters,

I live on the subvtropical east coast of Australia.
    Found the sugar free and more recently the 5:2 to be excellent. Lost muffin top for the first time in 22 years – absolutely brilliant. My challenge for the last 3 months is to build muscle & at the age of 57 it is very slow.
    I go to the gym and do weights, the staff have all got tips.
    The best thing about my new life is the energy and how much easier it is to move!
    Trying to follow videos on YouTube for gluts and thighs.

Hi Hedda,
    I might have something that works for you.
    ‘Body by science’ by Doug McGuff.
    Lots of videos on YouTube.
    I struggled to build muscle for years and this has really been working for me.

If your already cutting out sugar it should be perfect for you.

I’d be very interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks so much – I’ll check it out. Sitting in a hotel room in Coffs Harbour after stuffing myself with a big Indian feast; the locals have fabulous healthy menus – sugar free.

Do check it out. Works well with minimal time spent

Cool 😎

Hey @hedda I might help you providing a solid and better tips for building muscle. See you bye!

How much protein do you eat, Hedda?
    Muscles need protein, so making sure that you get enough protein is important, especially on a Fast Day.
    And, of course, exercise.
    After age 40, we lose muscle unless we take measures to build it up. Your comment about this being a ‘very slow’ process is typical. Keep at it and you will see results. I have been doing exercises for specific muscles [triceps, adductors, erector spinae, among others] for about 15 years now and have seen results.
    I’m 68. Keep at it.

Thanks for the tip on protein. I have been sick with a Lismore flood cough & in bed each night but after 3 weeks I’ve emerged & have been well for 4 days.
    Yes, my mission this week was to increase protein & complex carbohydrates. So I’ve been eating chicken & ham and beans and fish. All good stuff, hopefully if I eat a sensible amount and don’t over do it , I can get bang for my buck.
    I have been focusing on floor work with arms, glutes and core on top of my gym machines. Hopefully with a few nighttime sessions on weights I can get better.
    To me I look like I’m improving but next to a triathlete I’m a shrimp😬

Don’t forget to rest! That’s when muscle grows. at least two days between working the same body part. Also the best rep range for growth is 8-12. Muscle is stimulated to grow by the eccentric part of the movement IE on a bench press it would be the lowering of the weight. Do that part slowly- to a four count. You must lift weights that challenge your muscles. You should barely be able to complete your last rep in a set. If you are not getting stronger over time IE using heavier weights you are doing something wrong.

BTW there’s no reason that women can’t do man style pushups and pull ups if you work at it. I know 65 YO women that can do 20 strict pushups and 4 pull ups.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.