Binge Eating Disorder Group

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Binge Eating Disorder Group

This topic contains 54 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Lady_Salsa 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)

• Hi Couscous, as I’ve been reminded in the last 2 days by the Southern Hemisphere group, the binges are a learning experience. Some describe it as a hunger dragon, although my mental image has always been a freight train speeding downhill and getting rapidly out of control and unstoppable. When bingeing has been such a long standing behaviour it’s going to take time to address and may always be something that just has to be managed.

Hi LJoyce and all others on this thread. To be honest I now just sort of visit the forum now and again to get inspiration, make a few comments and to see how the 5:2 world are getting on with their lives. I noticed the Binge Eating forum recently hence my posts. I researched some posts when I first started 5:2 back in 2013 and under a post “Spreading The Word” came across a post by wiltdnrUSA who was a former avid and interesting poster (where are you USA?). Other blasts from the past posters included tomsmantis and rockyromero amongst others,ahhh memories. As a result I researched a comment USA made about the “Diet Detective.com. Apparently an American site. I had a look and there are some interesting articles including one about cravings and hunger. Another about why “Only half of over weight people seriously trying to lose weight”.
    I like information so have a look you might find it of interest.
    One of my bingeing problems is that I normalise a binge. Some times driving home from my health club!!!! I will stop off at the Supermarket, buy wine or beer, a pasty and chocolate and pig out after a day of fasting. While I know this is stupid there are no alarm bells ringing. The next day naturally I feel awful and the self recriminations start. There are lots of historic posts going back several years about over eating and how posters addressed their problems so Bingers are not unique or alone.
    I am 68 yrs old and really am very much aware of the need to eat and be healthy as I age. Recognising the importance of inner health and the obstacles in my way are just part of how I work out a more healthy lifestyle and 5:2 is the base line in getting there.
    Good luck to all bingers and posters out there.

Hi, I recently ran across this beautifully written blog entry by a woman who is also finding her way. I found her words so resonated with how I feel, for example…

“…This is true for me. Anxiety has been a life long challenge for me, and an uncomfortable bedfellow on my journey out of food “stuff.” Lately, due to a very difficult, stressful year, my anxiety has been off the charts. I’ve tried to be conscious about not eating to soothe my anxiety – something that is definitely a work in progress for me! Sometimes, I feel that not eating to soften my anxiety feels worse! The anxiety feels hot, tight and intense without the buffer of food to soften it.”

I too have been able to relate to that statement over the past year, particularly as I studied, had to meet assignment deadlines, submitted a resume, attended a job interview and subsequently commenced a new working position. I’m appreciative of the blogger’s non-violent approach in relating to her bingeing and anxiety and how she finds her own way through anxiety. Reading her words feels like eating nourishing food that satiates.

https://growinghumankindness.com/caring-for-anxiety-without-eating/

Although my binge episodes are far fewer than they used to be, I am frustrated and disappointed with myself when they occur. However I have had some insights that I thought were worth sharing.

A few weeks ago during a binge episode, I found it difficult to post and ask for help and I ended up logging out again without posting anything and going back to the fridge for more food instead. In the aftermath of that, the forum that I usually talk on daily encouraged me to post something during a binge and someone would be there with support. On Sunday I found myself unable to stay out of the kitchen and by mid-afternoon I had eaten at least 150% of my TDEE. Normally once I have started this behaviour there is no stopping it until the day ends. However I went online mid-afternoon and posted about what was happening and I listed everything I’d eaten. Even before anyone had responded to my post I could feel the shift in my thinking. By publicly posting honestly about my behaviour and every single thing I’d eaten it actually allowed me to draw a line under the binge and stop. It somehow changed the messages in my head that keep driving the binge behaviour on. This was a really welcome lesson, as stopping mid-binge is not something I can usually do. I will definitely be using this tool again the next time I want to eat everything in the fridge.

It has left me wondering why this helps. As a child/teenager my bingeing was behaviour I hid from my family so it’s possible there is a connection there. By being public and open about it perhaps it disrupts those thinking patterns that were laid down in childhood.

Hi Ladies

I think a forum for those of us with eating disorders is an excellent idea. I am definitely a person who is addictive around food and have for many years battled with my weight and my attitude towards food.

I actually write a blog called A Compulsive Story that might be of interest to some of you. I haven’t written on it much the past year because of working out my food demons, having a horrendous hip that is now very happy because it has just been replaced and because for me I realised I could talk all the talk I liked about my food addiction, relapse and solutions, but I needed to walk the walk. So I took myself out of the writing blogosphere for a little while. Maybe some of you will connect with the stories there, maybe not, but please feel free to have a read and share your thoughts.

5:2 for me has been the only sustainable way of eating that I am able to manage. I have consistently lost weight, and it has changed my appetite completely – no more horrendous binges, or relapses for me. Don’t get me wrong I still have a little of what I fancy, but there has been a complete change in my thinking this past year and I am sure 5:2 has been a major positive factor in my recovery.

I hope you all have a great day and below is the link to my blog – happy reading! 🙂

http://karenannececilia.blogspot.com.au/

Viewing 5 posts - 51 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply.