Back again… any support appreciated!

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Hollybear88 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Hi everyone!

After a 2 and a half year hiatus and a lot of gained weight later, I am back on the 5.2 wagon.

I fell off the wagon following a job change and some stressful life changes and found any excuse not to fast. However after much soul searching I have to admit that 5.2 is the only way I can sustainably lose weight and feel good about myself.

Yes it’s hard but I’ve done it before. Previously I went from 11.13 stone to 10 – almost 2 stone in 5 months.

This time I am not weighing myself. I get too obsessed with numbers. rather I am doing this to feel better and fit back into my size 12 clothes. At the moment I’m wearing size 14 jeans and they are cutting in. It’s not a nice feeling.

I have a big holiday booked in November so hoping that 5 or so months of consisting fasting will help me get back in track. I’m planning to do Monday and Wednesday fasts with at least 3 work outs during the week.

Previously I found this forum such a huge source of support and encouragement when it was tough, which is why I’ve found my way back here. Really hope the same for this time around.

I would love any and all support! Have a great day everyone and hope to get to know some of you.

Hello!

So good to hear of someone else starting out on the 5:2 journey. At least I am not the only one.

I tried the 5:2 (half heartedly I must admit!) a few years ago with my husband in an effort to keep our weight controlled. Same as you, after several house moves, and different things going on, there was always an excuse to put off trying to get back on the 5:2 way of things.

After much deliberation and the realisation that I just do not like the way I feel about my body, I have decided to give the 5:2 a go, whole heartedly this time!

I am half way through my first fasting day – my next one will be Thursday this week.

Hoping to find tips, encouragement and support via way of the forums – only just realised the website was available to use like this – what a fab community to be part of.

– HB

Hi HB- thanks for joining this thread. I’m also half way through the first day..can’t life- its been a struggle readjusting. I plan to do Monday and Wednesday or Thursday depending on what my after work plans are.

I think we are quite similar in how we have come on and off 5.2.. i also came off due to work changes and house move. Now that i am more settled I hope to find my rhythm again. I think we are also the same age.. if you’re born in 1988 as your username might indicate??

I hope you’ll check back in as would love to see how you’re doing.

Hi Littledragon,

Yes I was born in 1988 too! I reached the big 3-0 a few weeks ago! Im totally loving the 30 life – Im pleased my 20’s are behind me, it’s a decade I wouldn’t like to revisit if Im entirely honest (lol)

I’ve never ‘had’ to diet, if that makes sense, but I have definitely seen my body change over the last few years and know I need to do something in order to be happy with what I see. I have so many people tut or scowl at me when I say I need to lose weight (like if it comes up in conversation, I don’t just go round telling everyone!) I dont ever feel like people take it seriously when I say anything about MY weight (heaven forbid a petite person could be insecure with their bodies!)

I don’t have many other insecurities in myself as a person (I know who I am, where I’ve come from and I know all the bad parts of my personality and am happy with that if that makes any sense without me sounding totally conceited?! haha) but I definitely need to change my mind-set of ‘oh I can eat anything and just work it off in the gym’ because A) that’s CRAZY talk that should not ever come out of a 30 year-old’s mouth and B) there’s not enough time in the day to work off what I can quite easily consume in a day!

Yes its all about finding a rhythm and I’m sure we will both find it if we keep focused!

Will definitely check in with you (hope you dont think Im a total fruit loop… ooo fruit loops!!)

– HB

Hey Little Dragon!
    I found it was easier to fast when I radically cut down on yeasty bread first. Flour products tend to stimulate my appetite and make it harder to fast. Once I beat the bread craving it was a lot easier.

Wraps are ok for me once in a while, but the nice thing about cutting out bread (Especially sandwiches) is that the high butter and mayo calories are also cut out and it way easier to hit your target.

Quick recipe tip:
    Avocado and tuna with a bit of sweet onion, garlic powder and mild curry is AMAZEBALLS.
    Cheers!

Hi HB

Ahh welcome to the 30s club. I turned 30 earlier this year and totally agree with your comment about your 20s. I found my 20s to be very challenging but I also learn and grew a lot.

I’m learning to be more secure in myself..I battled image hang ups and insecurities a lot when I was younger. I’m starting to deal better with them more. Right now my insecurity is how I feel in my body so fasting will be a way to address that.

I think we all have our own reasons for finding our way to the 5.2 way of life. Don’t let others put you off by saying you shouldn’t have to feel you want to lose weight. It has amazing health benefits too- for me it’s in part wanting to get a handle on my habits and eliminating the risk of high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure etc as it runs in my family.

Glad to have found a buddy! How are you finding day 1?

Hey Bardeann

Thanks so much for your comment!!

I am trying to cut back on bread too. I love it but it’s the devil isn’t it.

The recipe you suggested sounds so delicious. What are some of your other go to fast recipes? Always open to new ideas.

How long have you been fasting? Would love to hear a little more about you.

LD

Hello to all you Returning Fasters.

30 yrs of age is often a metabolic turning point — calorie-burning decreases while the appetite does not. Good for you for working to get it under control sooner rather than later, when the ‘damage’ is higher.

Having Fasted for 5 years [after a lifetime of counting calories], I have to tell you that it is also about what you eat on Slow Days. Bardeann is correct: find the foods that pack on the pounds and reduce/eliminate them from you daily diet. For me, those things are white rice and beer. Happily I can now do without either.

Want recipes?
    Parmesan-Chive Bake: 279 calories 7.5 g fat 3.7 g fiber 15 g protein 30 g carbs 275 mg Calcium PB GF While I was away for 10 days, Dear Husband invented this breakfast to take advantage of the fresh chives in the garden. Clever man.
    One 2-oz egg 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped 1.5 tsp reduced-fat ricotta cheese 1 oz kiwi fruit 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    First set the toaster oven to 350 degreese F. My Dear Husband is the one who prepares the breakfasts. He says to start the coffee next and then to prepare the smoothie. Spritz a ramekin with oil or non-stick spray. Whisk the egg with the cheeses and chives and pour into the ramekin. Bake in the toaster oven at 350 degrees F. for 12-15 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs. Prepare the kiwi fruit, pour the beverages and have an easy day.

Senegal Tuna-Avocado Salad: 264 calories 14.6 g fat 6.4 g fiber 13.2 g protein 18 g carbs 29.8 mg Calcium PB GF This is my version of a meal which I enjoyed at Bissap Baobab, https://bissapbaobaboakland.eat24hour.com/menu, an excellent Senegalese restaurant in Oakland, CA.
    2-1/2 oz white/Albacore tuna 2 Tbsp celery, minced pinch or 2 ground ginger ½ tsp lime juice Sriracha sauce ¾ oz apple, diced 2 oz avocado 2 Tbsp radish or alfalfa sprouts 4 oz cherry tomatoes ¼ oz [½ cup] baby spinach leaves 1.5 tsp mayonnaise made with olive oil
    Lightly combine the tuna with the celery, ginger, dash of Sriracha, lime juice, apple, and ½ tsp mayonnaise. Arrange the spinach leaves in the center of the plate and mound the tuna on top. Slice the avocado and layer on top of the tuna. Mix remaining mayonnaise with Sriracha to taste and drizzle over the avocado. If the cherry tomatoes are not bite-sized, cut in half. Place tomatoes around the edge of the plate and sprinkle with sprouts.

Happy Fasting today.

Hey! Please can I join?
    I’ve also been off & on the 5:2 many times but if I’m honest I’ve been very half hearted with the last few attempts! I’ve just turned 31 and definitely noticing the weight isn’t coming off as easily as it used to 😳
    First fast day back on it today, I fasted all day until 5pm then had a 400cal dinner. Even turned down the free buffet at work today! I’m feeling very motivated and it’s nice to read everyone’s stories to keep me going. Planning to fast again on weds! Hope everyone’s days have gone well! X

Hey Absteroo, welcome to the thread and of course you can join, lovely to meet you.

I am the same as you. Turned 30 this year and the weight goes on quick and comes off slow. I’ve not committed to any sustainable weight loss for a few years until today. Things have reached breaking point – my size 14 jeans are tight and I really want to lose the chub and get back into a 10/12. I’ve not weighed myself this time around as I want to go off how I look and feel in myself.

I also turned down free lunch buffet at work- well done to us!

I had a coffee w a splash of skim milk today around 11.30 (10cal) , diet coke and lots of water until I had dinner at 8pm. Had 2 veggie sausages (140 cals) 2 medium size boiled eggs (140 cals), 3 chopped mushrooms (20 cal?) And a toasted Warburton thin (90 cal) with a tablespoon of ketchup (19 cal). Trying not to be too militant today as it was day one! And I’ve done better than i thought I would.

Can’t wait to hear how everyone is doing, make sure you keep us updated! I am also going to fast again on Wednesday. I find Mondays and Wednesdays to be the best times to do it too.

Hi people! I’m back too after a while ( 2 years ! ). This worked for me before but I need that push to get rolling again.

Welcome opal shine – I am the same as you – back on 5.2 after a few years and much hoping to commit properly again to shift some of the pounds. Hope to hear about your success!

Fasting today: Broccoli-olive-tomato Omelette at breakfast. Steak salad will be dinner.
    Happy 1st day of Summer.

Hi guys, quick update from me!

My first fast day on Monday went as well as I could have hoped. I did a workout (which was probably a bit too strenuous for a fast day) and weighed myself afterwards on the trainer’s scales – definitely the heaviest I have ever been and although I was gutted, it did give me the determination to lose the pounds I want rid of!

Thursday was supposed to be my second fast day but I have had such a busy week of work, that went out of the window.

Fasting today (before you say it, I know! Fasting on a Friday?? I must be insane!) but would rather not be calorie counting on a Saturday and Sunday where that extra scoop of icecream will be inevitable!

So far I have had fat free greek yoghurt with a tablespoon of linseed and some honey for breakfast (173 cals according to myfitnesspal app) and half a cup of tea with a dash of semi skimmed milk (Im guessing around 12-15 cals, as I only had half a mug).
    Im genuinely no use to anyone without having breakfast so while that may seem a lot of cals for some, for me at the moment I feel it’s necessary to get me through my morning of work!

Next on the agenda will be green tea with a small banana for lunch (91 cals) and plenty of water in between. Im hoping to have an itsu miso soup sachet for dinner when I get home later (44 cals).

My recommended intake of cals a day for my size is 1200 – using the basis of having a quarter of these on a fast day, Im aiming for as close to 300 cals as possible (today if I stick to plan should be 323 cals) If this isn’t right, please can someone shout?!

Im finding the trick is to keep busy and drink plenty of water so I don’t have time to think of food. Also I’ve found taking a stroll on an evening while the weather is nice is not giving me time to graze!

Hope everyone has a decent Friday and a lovely weekend 🙂

– HB

Hi there. I am starting the 5:2 diet again after a period of overeating due to depression. Looking forward to losing the weight. I need to lose a stone. X

LMA80 Welcome to the thread. Thank you or introducing yourself- look forward to hearing more about your success and journey xx

Thank you. I am doing my first fast day today. Just had a portion of fresh cherries which should see me through until dinner time. I’ll have a small portion of chicken paella later, then an early night! I weighed myself this morning and was horrified. I’m determined to stick to this.

Good luck, LMA. Keep posting.

LittleDragon, Opal, absteroo, Bardeann, Hollybear — how goes it?

Hi LittleDragon and others!

Hello. I was going to start in July but you are inspiring me to get on with it next week.

LD.. I’m similar weight story to you I’m about 11.5, would love to be 10.. was 10.5 3 years ago for wedding but that’s from dropping carbs which is unsustainable.. I can get wrapped up in the numbers too much too but I do weigh.

I’ve done 5:2 to lose baby weight.

I just want to find a size I’m happy with and STAY THERE!!!

Hi. I am also starting again but at 55 I am a bit older than most of you by the sounds of it! I had a very short-lived attempt 4 years ago and gave up really quickly when I didn’t lose the weight I wanted to in the first month or so. Anyway, like Little Dragon I am going to try to ignore the scales initially (which means I will avoid them more like)… I am more interested in the health benefits of IF this time round and am hoping that the 3 stone I need to lose will be a bonus. Fingers crossed. Here we go!

candysdog, I’ve got dog-years on you — I’m 69. I’ve been Fasting with my ODH for 5 years and it still works. Health benefits are there, as well as weight maintenece and keeping my current clothing size.

Hollybear, if I read you correctly, you say your TDEE = 1200, so you are Fasting on 1/4 of that. Too little to be happy, in my opinion. I know that some people do total Fasting, consuming only water for the day, but that’s not for me. My TDEE= 1400 and on Fast Days I eat 600-700 calories. This works for me. If you find that eating 300 cals/day is too onerous, up the calorie count until you find the magic number. This is important since Fasting should be for the rest of your life and you want to find a combination of calories and foods for Fast and Slow Days that works.

Good luck, marsupial. Plan it out so it will go more smoothly. Keep us posted.

Hi Candysdog and marsupial, welcome to the thread. Great to hear from you both, and wishing you the best of luck on the journey.

Candysdog – agreed that might be the best way to keep you on track – to ignore the scales and focus on how you’re feeling and the health benefits etc. I am the same – I fell off too quickly when I didn’t see the numbers on the scale change but I’m determined to not get too caught up in the figures this time. It’s too up and down emotionally when I do. I know myself so I think this is the best way forward. I’m just wanting to fit back into my 12s comfortably, 10s would be a bonus but we will have to see. I’ve set myself an initial target of 5 months to stick to this consistently.

Marsupial – Is today your first day? Good luck! Look forward to hearing all about your journey. I think fasting is far more sustainable than dropping carbs which just doesn’t work for me. Let’s do this and get back down to 10 stone! I look at pictures of myself at that weight and like what I see. Shame I didn’t appreciate it enough at the time to fight to keep the weight at that level!

Fasting_me – would love to know more about your journey, how long you have been doing it and what benefits you’ve seen?

I’m fasting again today – Mondays are a good day for it, I feel. Particularly after the weekend – it’s really good to reset I think. Meal wise on t he weekend I was pretty good. I had sushi for dinner on Friday, avo and egg on toast on Saturday with lots of fresh fruit, and chicken wrap for dinner but then had some chocolate both on Saturday and Sunday. Veggie sausages and with beans on toast for lunch on Sunday and roast chicken in the evening.

Hope Monday is good to you all! Let me know how you are all doing.

Hi Little Dragon & Candys dog and others

So encouraging to hear from you.

Let’s say this is my first week but I can’t fast til Thursday as I’m away with friends til then but I’ll be careful.

11.6 today! I weigh daily but will check in with weight on Mondays. I’ll probably usually fast Monday & Tuesday xx

Hi fasting me, you are a font of knowledge & encouragement- I read and get a lot from your posts.

Hey everyone, and a very happy Sunny Monday to any of you in the UK! Its absolutely glorious in the North East and is set to stay this way for the rest of the week which would be ideal as I am at a wedding in Northumberland on Saturday.

Fasting_me – thank you so much for the advice. I will up the calories on fast days if I feel like its too little, however Friday was much better than Monday in terms of how I was left feeling. I had a detox shake where you put all the ingredients in and blend and it kept me full from 6.30pm all the way through til breakfast time on Saturday. It was definitely the killer workout on Monday that made my day more difficult than it had to be so I wont be doing that again in a hurry!

I managed to stay away from the sweet stuff over the weekend (except the fruit pastille ice-lolly I had yesterday while I was sat outside in the sun) but food wise it could have been better – I went out for lunch on Saturday with my husband and I’m not going to lie to you, there was a lot of cheese involved(!)

I’m fasting again today; like LittleDragon I feel I need to reset after the weekend. Also getting one day out of the way at the beginning gives me the motivation needed for the rest of the week.

Hope everyone else is having a good Monday – Im loving reading everyone’s comments on this thread!

– HB

Hi all. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have had one FD and it was fine. I went to a concert in the evening and was more worried about my stomach rumbling than being hungry! Luckily neither was a real problem. The heat is helping me not to over indulge at the moment…

Hi everyone

Starting tomorrow! I’m so full from a few days away I’m going to ease in with fasts Thursday & Friday – just have as light an evening meal as poss, water, black coffee, green tea etc in the day.

Following week my fast days will be Monday & Tuesday

Xxx

Good luck tomorrow marsupial. Do let me know how you get on!!

I have completed my fasts for this week, woohoo. My last three fasts haven’t been too challenging and hope that continues. I already feel better and it’s only been 2 weeks.

How is everyone else doing?

Well done on your 3 Little Dragon, what do you do on a fast day?

Hi marsupial

Thanks!!

I don’t have anything to eat during the day – just water and herbal tea. Then a light meal in the evening. Tonight had 2 veggie sausages 131 cals 2 boiled egg 140 cals and a Warburton thin 90 cals

My husband was reminiscing this evening about our first few weeks of Fasting, 5 years ago. He remembers being SO hungry. I remember suggesting that we eat our dinner slowly enough that it would last 20 minutes. That sure didn’t happen! But now we are very content with our Fast meals and our smaller Slow day meal. And we are so glad that we took up Fasting.

Hi all!
    Just like some of you, I’m back again. In 2014, I was fasting 2 days in a week and could continue for about a year, reaching a weight I was very happy with, 58 kg.
    Now, 4 years later and after returning home from a year traveling around working as a volunteer in different permaculture fincas in Spain and the Canary Islands, I noticed my clothes were quite tight and really didn’t like the feeling. When I left I weighed about 68 kg, but now the scale pointed out 74! I guess I had too much tortilla 🙂
    I remember the fasting diet as a very sustainable life style and I know that the first weeks are the hardest. I remember thinking ‘wow, I’m dropping weight so fast, I don’t know where it’s gonna stop!’. I hope to get into the same mood again.
    Today is my first fast day. I’ve had some water and a coffee for breakfast and only want to eat when I’m really hungry, I hope to make it till dinner.
    I remember these forums as a great tool to get motivation from. Back in 2014, I was just reading and not actively participating. But now I thought I’d mingle in and get to know you all and stay on track!
    Have a great day you all and looking forward to your posts!

Hi peeps,

Green.thumb- it’s great to see you on board 🙂 Keep us updated with your progress – Im new too and it definitely helps seeing everyone’s comments and tips doesnt it? A little motivation and encouragement goes a long way.

Little Dragon – my fast days this week are also complete, woop!

I managed to eat 2 small meals, both after 12pm which is a first for me so far! I really found yesterday worked a lot better for me and has definitely been my most successful fast day (I’ve only done 4 so far). Rewind to my post last week saying I NEEDED to have a breakfast, WHAT A FOOL LOL. I totally don’t, and managed with green tea and water until after noon when I had half a tub of low cal soup then a soft taco with Quorn mince and some salad for my dinner. Really happy with what I am achieving. If someone had told me previously I had to go into a morning full of meetings at work without any breakfast, I would have told them they were having a laugh while shovelling some coco pops in my face lol.

I haven’t weighed myself yet since Monday 18 June but can definitely feel the difference – Im unsure whether its just my mind set or that I actually have lost a bit of weight but I definitely like where this new lifestyle is taking me. I think the sunny weather is helping too! I don’t want to become obsessed with the scales so might just see how my clothes feel and weigh myself once every few weeks or so.

Hope all my fellow IF’s are well and having a lovely day 🙂 🙂

– HB

Hi all,
    Just checking in again.
    How are you all doing?
    I just finished my fifth fasting day yesterday and this morning the scales told me I had lost 2kg.
    Very happy with that!
    Wishing you all good luck and looking forward to read about your progress!

Hi all,

I didnt have a great week last week to be honest, I was off work on annual leave and ended up laid out with a headache all afternoon during my Monday fast day and the only thing that made me feel better was some food later on which I know will have gone over my fast day calorie allowance, then my other fast day didnt work out great either as I had to go food shopping and I find that really difficult to then not eat a glorious carb filled tea when I get home haha. BUT I had a successful fast day yesterday so I feel like Im back on track this week – will be going to the gym later this evening too.

Green.thumb – that’s great news about the weight loss – well done!! I’m onto my 5th week of 5:2 and haven’t weighed myself since the beginning. I might do at the gym later and if its good news I’ll let you know!

Have a wonderful week everyone, happy fasting!

– HB

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply.