Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 14,786 total)

• Hi All!
    MoM – you are definitely on your way to losing those 5kg. It’s a great idea to use the tracker here and will be a big incentive to keep going to your goal.
    FB – amazing stats! Brilliant loss too this weigh-in; imagine your next one will be in the 60’s…woohoo!!! You sure are living up to your name πŸ™‚
    GG – 10kgs is incredible; well done and you are so right about sticking with this through all the ups, downs and plateaus because it really works! Happy birthday too; not sure if my timing is off with the time difference but you know I have the best of intentions! Enjoy and live life to the full….we only get the one! πŸ™‚ xxxx
    YY – you certainly have a lot on your plate at the moment, but you do what you have to do and 5:2 will be waiting for you when you’re ready. Meanwhile, you know how to make good choices; so go easy on yourself and take care. Keep showing the scales who’s boss; you’re in control!!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend everybody. We can do it!!!!!! πŸ™‚

So happy birthday for tomorrow GG! 10 kilos! well done!You will be looking great for Melbourne!

Yummy! Good to hear from you, sounds like you have a full plate, They are running you ragged! so to hell with the guilts! Just breathe! …cackle… so Jenmic reckons! (may she catch her hubby!) You’re both in good company! It’s melt down, fess up therapy on here atm. Yess! It’s official – letting off steam melts fat!

Doggy, glad your mutt is settling, I cackled about the elephants!

And to those concerned for my pickled parrots, it is funny to see their shenanigans, but not my doing that they are addicted. I don’t leave stuff around they can get at usually, but the recent rain got into the compost stuff and some chopped up sugarcane and it doesn’t take much for them to come screeching in to investigate. This community has zillions of huge common mango trees in the town and river scrub, that have tons of fallen fruit fermenting for months over the xmas period. The parrots are alcoholics! they go anywhere they can scrounge a hit! and with two sugar mills in the district there’s lots of molasses dumps,(and hundreds of acres of cane and it’s by products) it has gardening applications as well as stock licks (horses or cows). They are in no danger of extinction, flocks of hundreds squabble in the pub mango trees and some drongos shout them beers!

I’m having a ‘what the hell..’ day, won a meat tray in the Friday pub raffles all T-bones and (you guessed it) pork chops!(Is it the devil on my case?) we had a few folk over for a barbeque lunch and got rid of the temptation, at least I only had one blowout on them!

CG, do you put potato in your pea and ham soup? I always have, but I wondered if you had an alternative recipe? Glad your back is settling. Cheer’s all! gyps

JenMic- did you catch him? Hope all is settled for you.We have all hit the pantry at some stage …cooking chocolate is so satisfying. Take care…. hugs

Yum Yum -So sorry to hear all of your woes of late. Please look after yourself with good food and long rests between hospital visits ,which can be tiring on thee best of us. We will be here to read and be a sounding board if you need to download. I feel for your little grandson…. Pneumonia is so uncomfortable for a child .Thoughts and love are with you HUGS…..GO GALXXXXX

Hi Gypsy, no I don’t add spuds, just a huge onion and a few stick of celery often a large carrott but not always… (yellow split peas and a hock) sometimes if more flavour is needed continental put out bacon cubes so I use a couple if it needs more flavour.
    The small amount of potatoe you’d get in your bowl wouldn’t amout to. much in cals for 5:2. So make it the way you like it, it’s still lowish in cals πŸ™‚ Glad you’re looking after dem der parrots! πŸ™‚ but don’t spoil their fun too much.
    Had a bad day with nibbles and picks, not too bothered, my day so may as well as enjoy, right! Mondays fast will be here soon enough…have a lovely evening …CG xxx

Hi all, I have heard about those parrots, so funny. Well, I don’t seem to be able to lose but at least I am staying stable I think so keeping the 8 kilos off that I have lost since November. I would really like to lose another 2 before I revisit my goal. Might not happen until I am back in Oz though!

You have to love american sizes. In Oz, I was a 14 who managed to get down to a 12. Yesterday, I bought some cheap pants to get me through the next little while. One was a 10 but one was an 8! Hilarious. I am so not an 8 and have never been in my whole life even when slender. But it makes you feel good!

Good to hear from you Up! Not gaining is a great achievement, given the circumstances, so well done you. One of my sisters loves going shopping in the U.S. because of the sizes, which make her feel so good. Also, she says they make clothes for real women of all shapes and sizes…she is very petite on top but more rounded on the bottom and finds it nearly impossible to get clothes to suit her over here. Enjoy the size 8 – maybe you should make sure the label is showing when you get back home…very good for the ego πŸ˜‰

G’day all UP so great to hear that you’re managing with all your difficulties to maintain your weight. Even if you could just do that while in the US it would have to be considered a win. Know it’s not what you wanted but it would be such an achievement. Up wear those size 8’s and feel damn good about it girl!!
    YumYum thinking of you with all that’s going on. Just hang in there & eat well when you can & when it’s all settled down 5:2 will get you back in line never fear.
    Gogal Happy, happy birthday and a happy 10 kilos tossed out the door ready for your big celebrations!! Yeah!
    Gypsy tis very funny to see those drunk birds, we used to see them in Alice Springs when we lived there – hilarious they were. Good company for you I reckon!
    Well having quiet days hanging around the house waiting for those all important customers/art buyers to come visiting. With one more week to go still I will be glad when it’s all over. Not being busy doesn’t help with getting hungries and nibbling, simply because you’re a bit bored. But haven’t done too badly.
    Enjoy your weekend all and our run of NFD’s. Really enjoyed my glass of wine tonight. Just swapped from whites which I enjoy over summer to reds…and it was beautiful. One more to enjoy tomorrow before it’s back to 5:2. suejen

Good morning team,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GG HAVE A LOVELY DAY,
    Up, what an ego booster for you and well done on stableising
    Suejen, your days must be so long and boring but necessary, have you got a good book with you, hang in there, thermos of coffee, you’ll get there πŸ™‚
    Very Wintery today, great inside catch up day, or a good lazy Sunday on the couch sounds even better. Planning day team so no mistakes happen, YOU CAN DO IT, bulk up on vegies or soup so you don’t feel cold and hungry, some protein helps you feel fuller, bit of chicken torn up in your soup helps, even your cup a soup, or the skinny noodles (slendier) a healthy stirfry for dinner is a filler, quick and easy, even get you vegies cut up and in a container today ready, bit of tofu or meat at the ready, oh so quick and satisfying for you. Jug of water with sliced lemon in it for you fluid intake and your day is ready.
    Positive thinking goes a long way, you are only limited by your imagination, embrase each day with excitement you never know what it will bring and count your blessings.
    Be happy team πŸ˜† CG xxxxxx

Hello everyone. Gypsy I’m still chuckling about those alcoholic parrots. I wonder if their radar goes a bit iffy when they’ve been on the turps.
    Up yes the American sizes are good for the moral. I found the same in Canada and bought quite a few very nice tops etc and the prices are not too OTT. I’m wait to be able to fit into them again but know it WILL happen.
    My weekend of pigging out continues as hubby and I are about to head off for some fish and chips. Not to worry. FD again tomorrow and I have some of CG’s zucchini stroganoff in the freezer so ready for that.
    Well done team and enjoy your weekend.
    Cheers Doggy

Good Afternoon ADs
    Hoping that all are enjoying the lazy Sunday. Well I am in bed fighting flu n stomach cramps…. Not fun but still better as its not a working day.
    Had a blowout yesterday n stopped counting calories. Roughly, over 2500 cals….. Oops. But the weather was so cold n we were out n about, so didn’t think much.
    Doggy, i am also having a weekend pigging out ….
    Today is another day, not fasting today but planning to keep it very low cal.
    Waiting for Monday’s fast now……

Good to hear from YY, and Up again. YY, take your time, there’s so much happening on family side, fasting can wait….. Up, looks like you are on right track, enjoy your size 8 clothes n you are maintaining the weight on holidays, thats such a big achievement.

Gypsy, looks like parrots are having a lot of fun there…ha ha ha , very cool.

And yes a big hug for GG for her Birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GG!

Forgot to mention, Fit, thanks for the yoohooo, really made my day πŸ™‚

Doggy and FB, must be the weather cause I’m having one of “them” weekends too. Opened a box of chocolates, naughty, silly me, and lovin each yummy mouth full. Also a bag a grain waves, really felt the urge for treats, oh hum, tomorrows fast will be here soon enough, and we were told EAT NORMALLY on 5 days so I guess we are taking that literally. No time for regrets, just enjoyment πŸ™‚ it’s nice to feel human! Mostly though through week the appitite is quite small and never think of junk but come Friday, feels like I’m let out of school!…. πŸ™‚ have a great day team, let your hair down, have those thing you thought about when you were fasting, tomorrow will fix it all,….we hope πŸ˜‰ …CG xxxx

CG you posted my thoughts exactly – come Friday feel like I’m let out of school. But yes no time for regrets just enjoyment. So I’ve already taken your words to heart but think I need to put the brakes on today as the scales tell me a story I don’t wanna hear. But as you say tomorrow will fix it all…….we hope. Love the zags but don’t like the zigs!
    But it’s funny as looking back at my graph I could almost have predicted that it was time for a zig – seems to follow a bit of a pattern. However as we all know the trend is still downward. Sometimes I think the problem with our journey (certainly this is true for myself) is the pressure or unrealistic expectations we put on ourselves. You know….must lose a kilo or 1/2 a kilo this week, must lose weight every week, if not weight then cm’s or clothes fit better…..or whatever. But hey guys there are enough of us on here now that have lost very significant amounts of weight to KNOW that this WOL works. We have the proof! And I’m sure that each of those ladies/gents would tell us that it’s a zigzag journey with perfect days, good days, bad days, in-between days, out of control days, and days or weeks off due to various factors.
    So….let’s take the pressure off, chill a little, give ourselves some breathing space to be normal….not perfect on this journey. And every day that we have a successful FD or stick to our TDEE or eat less than we would have before this WOL is a WIN in my books….so long as the overall trend is down. Enough philosophising for today!
    CG thanks for your words…yes got a new book off my shelf & a coffee on the go ready for another day. And fabulous news OH has sold one large painting which covers all our costs for this event. Anything else is a bonus. Beautiful sunny day here too might help. Have a great day all…and if you treat yourself too much just be forgiving and thankful for a FD tomorrow. suejen XX

Suejen, firstly congratulations on the sale, the rest as you say is a bonus, one sale spreads the word too, good luck.
    I totally agree with all you say, that’s why I’ve tried to stop counting or at least be gentler on myself on NFD’s. I’m happy the way I look now, nearlly 25k gone, so gotta love it, and sure another 5k would be great, but no rush, IT IS A W.O.L. so doing it easy now. My appitite is so much smaller than it used to be, my alcohol intake very small these days, the way I see food differs, (saw an add the other night for some golf club, showing the waiter dishing up chicken parma, dripping in cheese served with chips, my immediate reaction was yuck! Used to love it, but now taste the fat just looking at it) so it has not just given me control over food but my taste buds are different. I taste salt in cheese, go figure, so, just stay with it, it’s a great way to eat, a great way of life, very very doable and extremely good for you. Enjoy 5:2 for what it is, your expectations will be met but be good to yourself along the way, don’t gauge your loss on others, we are all different shapes, different genes, different heredity units so your body adjusts at its own pace. There is no need to try to rush, sure we want it all done yesterday, but it’s taken years to get to your heaviest, but only months for it to shift πŸ™‚ …..so love life team, no regrets, stick with the two fasts a week and your whole life will change for you, your sense of pride will show on your face. πŸ™‚ …CG xxx

Woke up this morning and decided I Definitely want a smaller plate πŸ™‚ Thankyou for all the encouragement everyone, after a breakfast of English muffin with butter and marmalade jam decided enough faffing around and indulging, making better choices starting with lunch. No doubt about toasted things being comfort food and CG, toast extra yummy at night!

GG, happy, happy birthday. Enjoy your day and the week ahead.

Planning to get into some soup making as I will have to stay home while I look after cough boy. Poor baby. At least our weather is gorgeous at the moment with balmy sunny days around 26-27 so may take him out for short runs (in the car) which I’m still running in. Haven’t had time to really enjoy it yet.

Lotus loving the LaZuppa soups. My favourite is South American Style Chicken and corn and at 23 cals base can add Slendier noodles and even some chicken to make it a satisfying lunch/dinner for FD. Nice n spicy!!!! YY xx

Halooo! from the couch!…well, computer chair, actually, mine is very comfortable. I am also having a lazy Sunday. Yummy mixed fruit smoothy in hand and cold pork chops to pick on. Might even have an ice cream, later. And I think its right NOT to forego these slack moments, CG, we can stick to the plot as long as we don’t let it get too restrictive. That’s the magic ingredient of 5:2! .Thanks for the soup tip btw. I have mine stowed in the freezer in portion sized zip lock bags. easy to just cut the bag and slide contents into bowl to microwave. Plus the bags store more economically for freezer space. Sooo many helpful tips pass between us all!

I can picture you all now, from the country, CG, city, FB. In the West Suejen? By water or beachy areas, Doggy and GG. In the Irish/NZ snow thaw, Fit? Lotus? And crikey, New York to the backwoods! Up, Up and away! Size 8 and still on track! Just goes to show that no matter what we gobble occasionally, we have inherited HEALTHY FOOD CONSCIENCES along with 5:2 savvy. It is now our basic HABIT. locked into the subconscious – and as we used to return to sloth, we now get sabotaged by SLIM thinking! It’s the picture we hold of ourselves. And each other, via this medium. Powerful stuff. Just thought I’d share the concept of my Sunday meditation……(and only on fruit juice too!)

…. as in…we should remember to post our day where possible, it becomes a familiar vision in the minds of active carers for our wellbeing …that is love, in the bonds of non judgemental friendship…..free energy from the universe…and our virtual truth… as we dream, so shall we become… as others see us…. so shall we be to the world of our own making.

…um… I rather think I may be visualized as a slightly pickled bikie in a pointy hat, and the location varies….. but at least I’m getting less substantial! And what can one expect but the unexpected from a gypsy? ….But I don’t smoke, (anything!) and rarely have more than “just the one…” or maybe 2…three at the outside…mostly… (I mean, it’s hard enough staying upright on the bike without additives to the old age creaks!). I’m a firm believer in old sayings, too, CG, one of my favs being “God helps those who help themselves”…… And it often helps to get a group discount! Sometimes folk coming together is just..well… meant…TO BE

(May I include you all in the mantra I long ago wrote for my kids to keep, when I am just a ‘haunting’ in their subconscious? – as the tree becomes to the fruit we bear…)

TO BE – To dream – To hope – To care
    One must live – To love and share
    To rise to fall is no desire
    I would help my child acquire
    Small steps – Tall dreams – Courage true
    Faith in thee I give to you
    Live to be a happy man
    simple logic – perfect plan

See the moon? It’s yours, you know
    Yet any man can feel its glow
    Each smile you share can equal it
    So grin, my children –NEVER quit!

Love, Mum

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of ….”An average moment in the ordinary life of an unimportant person”…..My journal quotes “from birth to the moon!”. … and no, I don’t always practice what I preach, but I do give it a thought and that’s the job… just keep trying…I’ll pick you up by broom if there is no other way! xxx

And to those I haven’t painted into a corner, yet, I’m watching you! Cheers! The Gypsy

Hi Gyps, just woke from my Nanny nap, trying to iron but standing too long gives me billio. What a lovely post. We know you’re not the drinker you make fun of, you couldn’t lose weight if you were. You’re a beautiful person, glass half full all the time. You touched on what I always think. Why don’t we see ourselves as the rest of the world does. We can appear very competent able and positive, but inside we have doubts, anxiety, self loathing. We are our own worst enemies, we accept faults in others but not ourselves. WHY? We forgive readily with others, but berate ourselves.. I keep saying be kind to yourself, be good to yourself, but we still find it hard. Time for a change. Hold our head high, accept ourselves as we do others πŸ™‚ , it’s very easy, stop being self critical and feel the pride. I’m starting too now with my weight loss, but when I was 50 odd K’s didn’t know any different and so full of self doubt. Confidence all comes with age I think, we get to a stage of really being ourself, not really caring what others think, sure we like to be liked, but brush it off easier if we clash. Gee, didn’t mean to get so deep. Gypsy, you set me off. Our friendships here that we have created, with complete strangers, shows, we ARE all the same, have the SAME issues and doubts. So love yourself, you ARE unique, be proud of who you are. You can touch (Gypsies) moon, so live team, live to the fullest take your foot off life’s breaks and go for it…. Enjoy what’s left of your Sunday πŸ™‚ CG xxxxx

Hi girls, hoping i can join you! I’ve started my fast today. I plan on fasting with only tea and water for two days then eating healthy and considered every other day. I am a healthy eater as it is I just have issues with portion control, wine and cheese so I’m hoping I can do this and get some results!

I weigh 65.5kgs currently and im 167cm tall. My goal is to weigh -59kgs before my Greek holiday in June (8 weeks).

I plan on fasting Monday’s and Tuesdays and doing high intensive exercise the other days in short bursts..

Please let me know if you have any tips or if you think my plan needs refining!

Good luck to you all too xx

Hi girl on a mission and welcome. I don’t see why you need to be so strict with yourself. Just fasting two (or three 4:3) days a week with 500 cals will give you the result you are after. Healthy eating and portion control is a big key but comes with practice.try to steer clear of carbs and stick with plenty of vegetables and protein. You are not excessively over weight, so don’t starve yourself. It makes 5:2 too difficult to maintain. Keeping up with fluids does keep you full and cleansed inside but just try two fast days this week to start with, you will notice a difference. We will support you so post daily so we can keep up with your progress. Welcome again…CG xx

Eggzakly! CG, glad you got to the kid first (you are ever the calm voice of reason and a deeep well of cooool, not necessarily H2O!) . I might of just gone “EEEK! Don’t do it! Girl! Slow down!”

You are most welcome here, Girl on a mission, and we will look forward to sharing your road. It’s plain you have the determination factor. But may I suggest that you may be on a mission to sabotage yourself if you go in so hard and FAST! Maybe 2 days on tea and water is a recipe for a quick fix and more like punishment than a life plan for guaranteed sustainability? But we all have our own twist on 5:2 and it is a very versatile program. Give it a go, any version you choose, but now that you have declared your hopes to us, expect support and don’t worry if you find you have set too stringent a goal. That’s no reason to give up and we are all of us refining our 5:2 lifestyle as we go. You are asking of yourself to lose 6 kgs in 8 weeks. Not a big ask compared to some of us (I am struggling down from 94 kgs to 84.8 since early Jan with a few weeks break and not a lot of exercise, of the mild variety) If you are fit enough to do the exercise you plan then I think you’ll lose it easily without sticking to fluids only in 48hr stretches. Why not split your fast days and aim for fluids only if you want, but keep some calculated emergency rations on the ready and don’t stress if you use them. Protiens (like boiled eggs and tin fish) and salad for bulk. If you read back through the thread OR CHECK THE RECIPE section on here you’ll find lots of support for fasting days. and if you download the ‘my fitness pal’ app you’ll find it very helpful for calorie counting. Plus the girls will be on your case once they see your post. Good luck. most of us fast on Monday and Thursdays and we weigh in on Fridays. Regards, Gypsy

Deep wisdom, CG. And touching sentiment, our tipsy biker (and feathered friends πŸ™‚ ). I must humbly mention that I am the Kiwi here, Gypsy.

I think this weekend is a blow-out, but who cares? FT tomorrow, to take care of the excessed.

Welcome, Girl-on-a-mission, you will get all the support and encouragement you need here. But may I endorse the thoughts above – start with 5:2, get used to this before you push yourself too hard and risk giving up. The beauty of this WOE (way of eating) is that there is never a failure, just another opportunity tomorrow. And because it is so sustainable most of us see it as being the way of the rest of our lives. Good luck with it. πŸ™‚

Hi All!
    Seems to be a bit of a theme going on here, gang…..blowout at the weekend brings on the philosophy?!!! I’m enjoying it all. It’s so good to feel I’m just like everyone else, in other words, human! Had a bit of a blowout too this weekend because my baby is going back to England today; so we went to the cinema on Friday and one has to have chocolate at the movies! Then last night we had the aunties and uncles over to say goodbye, so lots of nibbles….cheese and crackers, wine and peach schnapps…followed by chocolate cake! Yum! πŸ™‚ So here’s where the philosophical bit comes in… I could have woken up this morning (as I used to in the past before 5:2) and beaten myself up, even gone on a binge and felt like I had ruined everything; but instead I just thought: ‘That was a lovely night with my family and my daughter enjoyed being surrounded by love and warm wishes before she sets off back to college, so it was all worth it and she will have some lovely memories to take back with her’. So then I log on here this morning and find you all saying more or less the same thing. Life is for living and we will have zigs and zags; but we have to choose the better part of each day as it comes and then we can continue with this WOL because we know we’re in it for the long haul and nothing will derail us!
    FB – you’re welcome for the woohoo, you so deserve it!
    Gypsy – loved your post and your poem..keep ’em coming xx. Yes, Spring is definitely well and truly sprung here, a bit chilly some days but much brighter and sunnier overall and the days are getting longer. Time to start looking for summer clothes to wear/buy in smaller sizes πŸ™‚
    CG – please mind your back, standing doing ironing is not good for it. You are so right about us seeing ourselves as other see us and cutting ourselves some slack…time for you to walk the walk, as well talk the talk. We all look up to you and cherish your wisdom, so please look after youself xxxx
    GirlonaMission – Warm welcome here. I agree with the others…if you have not fasted before, you might be making things a bit too hard for yourself. Maybe try the 500 cals on non-consecutive days to begin with and ease yourself into this way of life. If you read back over this thread, you will see lots of different ways of approaching this and then you can choose what suits you best. Keep posting here and don’t give up, there will be lots of stumbling blocks but nothing that we haven’t all come across and can help with. This is a marathon and not a sprint.
    GG – your birthday is probably over now, so I hope you had a great time and were properly spoiled by your nearest and dearest.
    SJ – delighted for you and your OH, you have both worked so hard to make this venture a success, I hope that’s just the start of the sales. Very wise words from you too.
    Best of luck to everyone for the week ahead.

Well the day ended with OH saying Well we’ve worked so hard how about I take you out to the wine bar that does pizza/1/2 carafe wine specials before 6pm? and of course I protested and said Ooh no dear, can’t do that with 5:2. Like hek I did I said OK give me 2 mins and I’m ready! So had a lovely pizza to share & our 1/2 carafe of wine & loved every bit of it, and the relaxation….and getting out of the house, when we’ve been so glued to it every day.
    Did better today with the nibbles out & only had a couple of nuts & one biccy. Also went for a walk while it was quiet – another reason I think for the gain in weight (too much sitting around).
    So we have 2 days off now before the last haul of 6 days to finish off the event. Have loved meeting people from all over & chatting to them about OH’s work. Had some great kids in who’ve been super interested & super confident asking questions of the artist & telling him which ones are their favourites. Being a teacher I loved this side of things. A few rode their bikes around with parents to the different studios.
    Yes Fit we’re all human and fall by the wayside at times, but the difference with 5:2 is that we just get up on the horse & go again…..with no need for guilt or
    bashing ourselves up. It’s just life …and it’s meant to be lived to the full!!!!!!!!! And Fit of course you have to celebrate with your baby going back to college. Just think…what will you remember in 5 year’s time – your sticking to your diet or a wonderful night out with family celebrating around food???
    Welcome GoaM and I’d echo everyone else, start with 500 cals and on 2 separate days. Michael Mosely found it just too hard to do 2 days in a row so it’s likely that you will too. No good setting yourself up for failure at the start. You want to have a successful beginning so you will be motivated and positive!
    Wow Barata so many similar stories of blowouts over the weekend. But I honestly don’t think it matters so long as you can get back to your FD tomorrow, get back into the swing of things. And for most of us Mondays are pretty automatic by now.
    GG/CG/FB what day do you actually meet????? Any way we could get a photo or something of you all? Would LOVE to see that! I find it so exciting and sure everyone else does too. Even if you can’t do a photo you’re NOT allowed to have so much fun that you forget to post and tell us all about it….that’s an order from Madam Shecretaree! And don’t you forget it. We need a blow by blow account of it all.
    Have a great FD tomorrow for most of you. Plan and prepare and your day will be over before you know it. Keep up those hot drinks. Oh found a really nice tea. It’s a “Madame Flavour” brand Lemongrass, lime and ginger Tissane (pyramid teabags). I don’t usually buy these as they’re more expensive but OH said it’s the nicest tea he’s had & I agree. Can’t remember where I bought it though but probably our gourmet shop or the health shop or possibly the supermarket?! Worth looking out for if you like lemongrass. Super happy with our 5:2 WOL ….but…….that may also be the wine talking too.
    Thx to those who mentioned the art sales. Yes very happy with that. OH has only gone into art full-time since he retired so pretty happy with it all. Lots of avenues to explore after the open studio event that will keep me busy. And plenty of contacts to add to our lists. Enjoy your FD’s everyone knowing that you’re in control. suejen

Sorry guys must be my longest post ever! As I said could be the wine talking! I find these days, now that I drink less, that my tolerance level is much less. That’s good.XX

Fatbuster and Barata on your weight loss πŸ™‚ MOMayhem, I had just managed to survive but I had a massive pig out yesterday and today ! I have been really bad πŸ™ and anyway, I know we newbies will get there, we have so much support πŸ™‚ Suejen, well done on your weight loss , you were very strong to resist the nibblies available at the art gallery opening , I would have eaten them all up. MOMayhem, sorry you had to work on Saturday but I am glad to hear your energy levels were up, I must admit I felt a tad that way too, GG , your weight loss is great! Congratulations. All the best for tomorrow team πŸ™‚ I’m off to boil eggs for work tomorrow πŸ™‚ I’ll see you all tomorrow evening:
    My starting stats are /were as follow:
    Weight -90.1kg
    Neck – 39 cm
    Waist 108cm
    Hips 114 cm
    Bust 115 cm ( I may be a bit bigger as I think I may have held the tape measure a tad too tight but it’s too cold to start again) ps Dad had a lovely B’day ) goodnight all xx

GG, happy birthday πŸ™‚ I’m trying to catch up on all the posts and I keep missing things : )

….bugga….lost the plot…. sorry Barata,,, where did I stash lotus then???

Anyway, I send u all good thoughts, me and the parrots had a damn fine weekend!
    So impressed with your support of hubby’s art venture Suejen, bet he is too! It’s nice to be with people who follow their dreams and win. So special when they come in pairs! You’re his muse, whether you know it or not, man does not succeed if woman hasn’t got his back!

Taco, now you get the ghist of it. We rise and fall, together. And have a giggle when good intentions go slightly down hill, but we don’t bottom out or turn tail and give up. Great Sunday ladies. sleep well. xx gyps

Thank Gypsy πŸ™‚

Good morning all

Haven’t been around will read back over next couple of days.

I am learning that weight loss is not just about food it our whole lives. I made a huge life changing decision last week to leave my partner of 8 years. I packed up a few things and my 13 year daughter and have moved too a friends house. We are looking to rent a much bigger home in the next short while. Life is too short for living in a home that has so much anxiety, depression and stress. I feel so much better even after a few days. We are still talking and he is very upset but a little understanding of my decisions. Financial payout figures are being discussed.

So been off the radar.

Holding at 19.3kg gone though.

I think the rest will start to fall off now as my life turns around for a much happier stronger and fitter life awaits.

Take care everyone.

Good morning team, sad news Bali but very positive. I have been divorced for 15 years, after parting with a very abusive, belittling man, and have never looked back. It took me quite some time to get my confidence and soul back, but I have never looked back and know it was the best thing I ever did. My anxiety still shows it’s ungly head but rarely now. Life is so short and should be happy, and lived your way, not under someone elses control. I wish you happiness. Once you begin to find yourself again, you appreciate life around you, smell the roses, hear the birds sing πŸ™‚
    Fast day team, we know the tricks to manage, YOU CAN DO IT. Very cold here now, so salads wont quite do it for me, but soups are the answer and hot teas and coffee. Have a great day team, keep posting so you know YOU ARE NOT ALONE we are here for each other πŸ™‚ so away we go…….. πŸ™‚ CG xxxx

Hi Bali – so sorry to hear your news but I am full of admiration for your bravery to make such a courageous and life-changing decision. I wish you and your daughter every happiness for the future. I am sure that with less stress and anxiety in your life, you will go from strength to strength.

Good Morning AD’s

Bali you are a very strong girl. Big decision and sad news, however you have the right attitude of looking into a better future. Wishing strength and happy future for you n your daughter.

Yes CG, very cold here as well. Soups are going to hold me for the fast day today. The morning coffee was extra hot and went down really well πŸ™‚

Fit, good on ya for enjoying yourself. The whole point of this WOE is to be happy with yourself rather than regret. Happy that you enjoyed the night with family. These little happy moments are most memorable ones.

Barata, rightly said, that we do get “another opportunity tomorrow, so there is no failure’

Girl on a mission, Welcome and very good advise given already by the team. Hoping success for you in your weight loss goals.

Suejen, never ever apologize for a wonderful post like yours. I enjoyed reading every sentence of it. If it was wine talking, then I must say that your glass of wine is very wise… πŸ™‚

Taco, good on ya for preparing in advance. Hoping that the fasts will get easier for you. Hang in there fox, it will happen……

Rest of the team, Happy fasting.
    Troopers (CG & GG), better buckle up for our meet in Melbourne.

PS: Can someone tell where is Foxycoxy these days???

Love and strength to all…
    FB

Morning FB, Foxy and a lot of our regular members are M.I.A. But I guess their lives get fuller and busy. I’m sure they will contact us when time allows. Buckle up time for sure πŸ™‚ getting close now, going to be wet and cold, but who cares, we will be warm inside with our friendship….
    Bali, how good is it to have such great friends behind you, we are with you, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, we all admire the strength it takes, and know how long you must have been considering the move, but new day, new life, new attitude, you and your daughter will be so much happier. πŸ™‚ all the best wishes to you…CG xxx

Bali good on you for being brave enough to leave. I don’t know your circumstances but women should never have to put up with abuse of any nature. Stay strong and we will be here for you.
    Girl on a mission. I’ve just got to repeat what others have said. Your diet plan is way too restrictive and you are setting yourself up to fail. That is the beauty of the 5:2 diet. I urge you to read Michal’s book where it is all explained. You will lose the weight if you follow this way of eating.
    By the way innoticed some discussion about Pea and ham soup. I’ve just posted a recipe on our AD thread.
    Gypsy you wise lady. Do you have any more tips for constipation? It’s been an issue with me for years, spastic colon. Since starting the 5:2 it’s got much worse. I’ve tried the green tea, probiotics but they aren’t much help.I eat high fibre foods, lots of fluids,psyllium husks etc. I don’t want to stop the WOE because of this but it is a problem. Yes I’ve also tried the usual, suppositories etc. apologies all if this is too much info but I doubt if I’m alone with this problem.
    Another matter. I notice on lots of labels that they refer to energy when listing the ingredients. I always take it to mean calories. Do any of you know?
    Cheers Doggy

Morning all,

Busy weekend spent really not achieving much, Sat & Sunday night I blew it big time (darn you chocolate & cider for being so tempting) but today is a new day.

FD today – at work this morning but off home soon have 2 sick kidlets at home today. so far I’ve had 2 coffees (instant with a dash of milk) and a bottle of water. Not hungry really. have planned soup and a slice of bread for lunch and chicken stir-fry with zoodles for dinner for me.

if I cant be bothered with lunch then I will just have meatballs with zoodles (similar to the kids dinner of spag & meatballs tonight)

anyway off to do some more work before the boss gets back and I can go home.

hope everyone had a great weekend.

cheers M.O.M

πŸ™‚

HI All well so glad a few of us had a blowout weekend but we’re all here to let 5:2 repair the damage.
    First of all Bali sorry to hear your news but so happy that you had the strength and courage to make that big decision. and that you’re already feeling more positive, happier and stronger. Wonderful that you’ve been able to do that and hold your weight too…that’s some achievement.
    MoM with all the talk about zoodles I will have to get myself one of those spiralisers or whatever. I’ve put it off simply because OH will not eat zucchini in any way – except it it’s grated and he can’t tell. But I can cook him a small amount of pasta & I do so love pasta dishes so must order one.
    For Dogie: “A calorie is a unit of energy. When you hear something contains 100 calories, it’s a way of describing how much energy your body could get from eating or drinking it.” so I guess the answer is yes. Unusual for a label though?
    Yes CG need to turn to soups now to avoid turning to my usual comfort foods..and don’t think that HB eggs will cut it in the cold! Thankfully have potato & leek & tomato already in the freezer from our vegie crops. Love cooking for the freezer.
    So off to enjoy the benefits of another FD – will feel lighter, less bloated, and many other benefits that we can’t see. Already have my day sorted on MFP so know that it will be a success. And despite enjoying all my feasting over 3 days I’m actually so hanging out to eat less food. Amazing how our habits change with 5:2. So great.

Have a positive, planned, prepared, persistent day all (thanks GG) suejen

Yes Doggy it is cals…CG xxx

Thanks Suegen & CG. Yes I find the term energy on food labels a bit misleading. They go on to list protein, fat ,carbohydrates etc. if I remember correctly from my science classes going back many many years – a calorie is the amount of energy required to take one cubic centimetre of distilled water through one degree centigrade.
    Yes I agree with my fellow AD’s who had the munchies over the weekend. It’s the cold weather. It is freezing here in my little corner of Tassie today. Anyhow FD going well. I’m going to make Lotus Red Lentil recipe for dinner. I’m busy sipping some lovely hot liquorice tea.
    Take care team and keep on keeping on.
    XX Doggy

Hi all, I’m back at work and so far so good! Hanging in there, I’ll respond to all this evening πŸ˜‰ I hope all is well with you all ::) ps I kept three little snacks from today’s lunch for tomorrow . I had my egg and two miso soups so far . Lots of tea too πŸ™‚

Well done Taco, keep going and try not to obsess πŸ™‚ …CG xx

Hi all, I am having a good FD so far. Back to exercising (only moderate, old lady stuff, but it’s does help) only green tea until 2.30 lunch, decided on tinned salmon and salad. Just love the heightened taste of food now!

Bali, It is never easy and rarely a sudden decision to end a relationship, You know you needed to do it, you’ve paid the price already in years you can’t reclaim. (got 2 divorces under my belt, totalling 37 yrs) of trying to make a wrong fit, right. So don’t look back and just take one day at a time. It’s okay to be happy it’s done and look forward to a new adventure. Get that bod trim and healthy and go for it! We are all here to sound off to. Luck to you.

Doggie, will look up your recipes, thanks! and I guess you got the calorie/energy thing sorted, I think of it as a measurement of the energy one needs to expend to use it (the food!) THUS HIGH CALORIE FOOD stays in your body as fat! unless you either cut it down or exercise it off. I confess to having the old and new wts and measurement scales all mixed in my head (as to visualizing amounts) I tend to still think in lbs and ounces, feet and inches, etc and when it comes to ‘kilojoules’ vs calories I have to use a calculator.

As to the problem of constipation, it’s a big subject (as you know) terms like ‘spastic colon’ open up a different can of worms to the usual. Perhaps it needs diagnosing properly. You know the drill. So by your post it sounds like you have tried all the home remedies and maybe it’s time to see a gastroenterologist? And I would go so far as to say make that a Colo-rectal surgeon, who does specific tests on how food moves through your bod, from belly to bum! (forget GP’S when it comes to difinitives, except to demand a referral and NOT just get fobbed off with fybogel!)

In line with best practice ideals I’d have to suggest A) Clarify the cause and B) Find the corrective measure, be it ?diet , structural or neural .

Having said that, I do have some theories on the grey areas that seem to mystify the (male dominated) ‘specialists’ of women’s anatomy when it’s not just a straight forward chop and change! Or a pill can’t fix it.

I have some life evaluations that may be of interest to others as well, since bowels become an issue as one gets older (usually). but it is going to make this a very long post. So I may do it in sections (Huh?) if crap is the topic of choice for a Monday evening’s fasting therapy??? Lol…

Hello lovelies!!! I’ve been avoiding the page and forum πŸ™ I’ve been on the mother of all plateau’s and was feeling low.. and then I had a good FD day today and am determined to get the next 10kg off! I’ve got 10 1/2 weeks until my trip to UK and Paris so hoping I can at least move 5kg more.

The funny thing for me has been losing 12 kilo’s (since January) with hardly any exercise at all, only my 7 min walk to the train station and FD.. so I know, that in theory if I apply some more exercise, I should shift that plateau.

Does anyone else have any plateau busters?

So, doggy, lettuce first clarify the term β€˜Spastic colon’. Was it diagnosed as such ? (which should have also come with management strategies) or is it just terminology, you or a doc suggested might cover the symptoms? To clarify, I got the following explanation from a Mayo Clinic blurb:
    (quote)
    Spastic colon is another term for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a common disorder characterized by abdominal cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, constipation and or diarrhoea.
    The term “spastic colon” describes the increase in spontaneous contractions (motility) of muscles in the small and large intestines associated with IBS. These contractions are sometimes called spasms. However, because IBS may also be associated with decreased motility, the term spastic colon isn’t always accurate.
    The cause and severity of IBS varies from person to person. Treatment is aimed at relieving symptoms, and may include changing your diet, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, and taking anticholinergic or anti-diarrheal medications. (Unquote)

So that’s a pretty broad spectrum – can go either way and shouldn’t be dropped loosely on a patient., but highlights the need for a more definitive diagnosis. If you relate to the symptoms, treatment needs to be tailored to them. (so I can’t give a blanket cure all opinion).

On the other hand (Libra dictates there always is one..) on the principle of God helping those who help themselves, You could begin to sort it yourself by noting what causes the symptoms and alter a behaviour or treat a symptom as it arises.
    1. For instance, you know your own body, So is it anxiety? (nervous system or emotional) or anything to do with getting uptight over stuff that gives you an ’upset stomack’?
    Suggestions— Try to sort it , communicate your worries, or use relaxation therapy, or see the doc about an anti-cholinergic .
    NB. If you are already taking medication, research the side effects of same and eliminate medication induced constipation (anything with codein in it will slow bowel function and most antidepressants will as well)
    2. Is it diet related? What bungs you up or gives you the bloats? Eliminate same.
    3. Is it a prolapsed problem?
    4. Ha! Stay tuned for my learned opinion on that kettle of fish! …….

Hi Tatania and welcome you are doing so well, I rarely exercise either and 5:2 is still working. When I plateaued I tried 4:2 but only for two weeks, got lazy, but it did start it moving again. Stay with us, we will support you, and we all need that, when YOU ARE NOT ALONE the journey is easier and hints are shared….CG xxx πŸ™‚

Sorry 4:3 I mean… πŸ˜‰ CG xx

lol.. thank you CG.. I will give 4:3 a go! and go for a nice big walk at lunch times – got to get out of the office anyway!

Tatania, walking is the best and cheapest exercise ever, but getting damn cold so rug up, you’ll meet your goal no problems, what’s your weight now? …CG πŸ™‚

Hello everyone! Checking in after a mad weekend and Monday ( FD today, and so far so good).
    GG – Happy Happy Birthday mate!
    All sound really well and philosophical the last few days, is it case of “in vino veritas” ( in wine there is truth? πŸ™‚
    Gypsy – reporting from Sydney
    Tatania – IMO all plateaus shift – eventually πŸ™‚ but sometimes more exercise does not help with weight loss . I did a heap of spin classes a couple of weeks back, hopped on scales and came up with a kilo gain! Eek! Apparently
    muscles absorb water when they repair and also they weigh more than fat, the gain went away the week after. So just warning you so you don’t get disappointed with a short-term weight gain.
    Had roast veggie salad today, that I warmed up and ate, great for this weather πŸ™‚

Hello wonderful AD’S…….This will be my last post until I return from MEXICO!
    Melbourne is now 24hrs away. 6am fight out of Sydney on the Wednesday 22nd to meet FB in the afternoon…. cannot wait. Thursday 23rd CG arrives and that will be totally amazing ! We are staying at the same motel… look out mini bar!Thursday who knows,Friday Meeting Andrew to celebrate FB’S birthday..LONG LUNCH that will be a total blast with us all together …Photo’s will be a must and they will be posted for you all to see what we are like… the slimmer healthy us!
    BALI- You are a strong confident women…so sad is your relationship’s end….these decisions do not come easy ,it takes it’s toll on us as we have to weigh up the negitives and positives as to why we can no longer stay.New challenges will be ahead. The future will be brighter You must put yourself 1st and the the ultimate wellbeing of your daughter. The emotions will be of grief and loss BUT each day the sun will shine and warm you. My sincere love and hugs WE ARE HERE IF YOU NEED US .
    GIRL ON A MISSION- You have read this already ….. Your plan is extremely extreme. Take it easy.Fast and have 500cals on those days. you have so little weight to lose. Unfortunately you will be destined to fail and put the kgs back on sooner if you follow your strategy… You have 8 weeks before your trip aim for a loss of .5 to a kilo each week which is the healthy way.Please heed the advice and let us advise and guide you. We are all still learning ourselves , most are 6mths into 5:2 and believe me, between us all we have tried most things. Good luck
    SUEJEN- lots of congrats to you and your OH on the exibition. And your strength at food temptation,
    Well enough from me Sorry to the other members I have not mentioned esp GYPSY
    Thank you all for your birthday wishes for yesterday . It was a fabulous day my OH ticked all the boxes with a beautiful resturant choice… Ummmmm magic !!!!
    One of the us will post with our mischief from Melbourne BE STRONG WITH YOUR AUSSIE DETERMINATION love and hugs……GO GALxxxxx

Lotus, what a great idea…yuummm πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 4,401 through 4,450 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.