Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 3,401 through 3,450 (of 14,786 total)

• WARNING………..You may find a email from…..ran001…… pls delete this from your email DO NOT OPEN THE LINK.. This is spam! The sender does not exist on FAST DIET SITE….. please be aware………GO GAL

Remain calm! Do not attempt to leave the building!

In other news, fast day today. Bring it on!

Thanks Go Gal I’ll keep an eye out for that.
    I’m feeling very fragile today. My little bundle of fur woke me at 0410. I took him out for a call of nature and put him back in his bed. He probably slept for another 1/2 hour but I gave up at 5am. Anyhow I’m hoping for a good nana nap this arvo.
    FD here today so it’s game on as usual. A few weeks ago I made a big batch of ratatouille ( 260 calories )which I froze in seperate containers. That it they are very useful for times when one doesn’t feel like cooking.
    It’s going on for 2 months since I started the 5:2. I’ve lost almost 7 kilos and and down to 71 kilos. Measuremts are creeping down too. So I’m feeling very happy about that. I would like to lose another 7 k’s and will see how I feel at that stage. I do intend to stick to this WOE as I feel very well on it. I’m very happy with this diet and it is so doable. We so have a great support group here.
    Cheers for now. Doggy

Error. The Ratatouillie is 160 calories per serve not 260.

Gypsybell and Yum Yum your banter made me laugh out loud this morning!! Very funny… Thankyou!:D
    go gal that is wonderful news! Truly a time to celebrate! Time to breath out a little I’m sure… and a bikini thumbs up whoot woo!!! Good on you!
    Madam President I hope you have found some relief for your eye.. so annoying and something I get all the time with one that likes to grow out of my tear duct.. They look good as it boosts the numbers but boy can they be a pain πŸ˜‰
    Well ladies I did “three” sort of learning to fast days this week because I didn’t quite make it on my first two… the first morning after I jumped on the scales, nothing… not even 1… sad face… I realllly tried – STARVING – and got nothing.. Day 2 jumped on the scales and… nothing again not even 1.. Couldn’t believe it.. changed the battery’s in the scales.. tried again.. nope nothing… Had my shower this morning and brought out the scales and expecting nothing jumped on… 1.9 down.. Can I tell you how I’m feeling…. No I don’t need to… You ALL already know!!! Whooo hooo!!!
    Last night I made roast chicken for my family for dinner with all the trimmings.. I pulled off some chicken and made a salad for me…(no skin…) My husband was very impressed with my will power over the past few days and he was even more impressed when I did this last night.. Its not just the eating its the head space isn’t it… Your relationship with food and what it has become… Think I’m beginning to get it…
    Have a great day you lot! You are great fun! In regard to the motto… I love the idea of Madam Presidents comment don’t just follow a path but make a track…

Leo, yahoooo to you, what great news, see, that’s AUSSIE DETERMINATION working for you. Optometrist gave me eye drops, some irritant under my eyelid, ouch, said these anti inflammatory drops will help with the swelling too, so back next week for another check, eyes are so precious, to me the most of all our senses, the window of our souls.
    Be kind to yourselves today team, fasting or not, scales are only numbers and when you get cross remember, “you will not be punished for you anger but BY your anger” πŸ™‚ have a great day team AND….Don’t sweat the small stuff, YOU CAN DO IT πŸ˜† CG (MP) xxxxx

Hi Leo, in your spare time (and I know you have heaps of that!) you may want to look at FAQ’s section at the top of the page. I also stumbled on a link to a ‘newbies’ thread that was very helpful. Not only good ideas but links to much earlier threads from Michael and nutritionists. I only ‘got it’ that this is not a fast loss diet but a WOE that will guarantee definite loss but at a sustainable rate from reading some of this. Bit of a slow learner me and really technologically challenged (think MFP)but this helped my mindset. I’m not our Madam President, who seems to have a good handle on all of this, but am still learning along with you and others ADers. πŸ™‚ YY

Hi All. I’m recent newbie. Now on Week 4 & have lost 3.2kg. Loving this WOL. Have found I’ve been going over (slightly) on my cals on FD as My Fitness Pal was adding cals for the exercise I’d done that day. Thought it was too good (easy) to be true!! Not recording exercise anymore. Regardless I’ve still lost heaps & I’m thrilled. All your stories & hints are so inspiring & motivating. Thanks. CM

Morning Team I woke up this morning feeling a bit drained (FD yesterday) but did drag myself along to Pilates & did a reasonable sort of effort. Does anyone else feel like that after FD’s? I feel great ON fast days but not so much the day after.
    But the scales this morning were saying “Come on dooown” so happy with that – let’s see if it holds till weigh-in next week.
    Dogsabie be kind to yourself today & aren’t you glad you cooked ahead! That will come in so handy today. I’se feeling a bit drained myself today but not as bad as you I reckon. I love Ratatouille but cooked it once & OH hated it.
    Leo you sure are a determined lion with that GREAT weight loss. And yes we ALL know about waiting for it to happen. But I also think that most of us have got into the rhythm now of just knowing that it WILL happen, we know the WOL works, maybe just not as quickly as we impatient beings want it to! Great motivation for you though.

Have a great day everyone. Most of you will be fasting so drink those liquids, stick fast to your plan (hope you’ve planned??) and pat yourself on the back at the end of another successful fast. Aaand as Secretary of Internal Affairs…….I just ask you to remember all the wonderful stuff that is happening internally to make the new, slimmer, lighter, shapelier YOU!!
    suejen

Good morning / afternoon team! For fasters, I hope your fast day goes fast (quickly) πŸ™‚
    For the rest of us, I hope we all get a few treats in but not overindulge πŸ™‚
    I have started receiving compliments from people on how much trimmer etc I look, which is nice, because I used wonder why no one seems to have noticed I have lost all this weight lol! Vain much?
    Go Gal – such good news!! I am so chuffed for you!!
    Suejen – I have had the same feeling too. Only this morning I did something I had read on some random forum board, to break the fast with a water and some nuts / low-carb item. I did try that today and have felt no post fast hangover. I had two glasses of water and six almonds. Also for the first time, didn’t have the loosies (stomach upset) after a fast day. Fruit / bread first thing after a fast seem to worsen the symptoms.

I’m late! Been fasting the easy way, Green tea, bed, book. Off to read the posts now. But did see GG’s great news! Our TREASURE! You give us riches of the heart. So glad hubby is doing well.

Haw! Haw! YY!Dang! Just my luck! Keep ya worn out driver….. Rollscanardly? I’m trashed! Yore command of the ludicrous is laudable Madam Secretary! Can’t wait to get to the next page to see what the rest are up to!

Showing my age here. I read the posts on the bottom of previous page and already forgot who I was going to comment on πŸ™‚

Think it was GG’s terrific news about her OH, and Fit’s loss – oh and GG’s bikini news. Good one! Thanks to Sue for her link too …. can’t go back or I’ll lose this post so am calling it quits.

Doggie please think about adding your fabulously low cal ratatouille to our world famous page when your strength returns!

Lotus, lovely to get compliments about the new trimmer you! No one seems to notice when I lose but just think I always look like this. sniff sniff

Gypsy that’s my kind of fast day, tea, bed, and BOOK. Love to read although have noticed that in some books they just lurch from meal to meal!! Agggh.
    Successful day everyone. YY

Uhuh…. hmmm, P..er..R..ectal… Yes, I can see it… Well bottoms up it is, ladies, you can trust me to be most anal in yore defence…

YY- We notice the new trimmer you !! I have to admit though – I have been wearing my old, and now baggy outfits and only now started taking out my older outfits that I couldn’t get into till now. Clothes maketh the woman. Maybe a bit of shopping is in order for you? (even at the op shop as no point buying new exxy stuff when our shape is bound to frequently change)

I find murder mysteries /thrillers of any sort a good diversion on a fast day. Hopefully they don’t go for too many romantic lunches or dinners in it. But exceptions are police procedurals – they seem to keep eating pizza and donuts. So not fair on a fast day πŸ™‚ Just joking, I am sure real life cops hardly lead such decadent lives.

Thanks Lotus – I was really doing a bit of stirring even though what I said is true. Its because I’m short and small boned that unless I looked like an absolute rail, most don’t notice.

I love English police procedurals, full English breakfast and all!!! Don’t go in for romance, tortured soul stuff so stick to mysteries/some thrillers. Bit off psychological thrillers too. Like the tongue in cheek stuff too. YY x

Ok…. notice of the day…

UP waz on it early – (GG’s warning twist)
    Think she’s on the spam… (but sorta’ got the ghist..)
    Doggy’s dun in awful, it’s the bleedin’ Rattatool!
    Leo’s on the ROAR! Yum yum’s on the Fooool!
    Me? I never dun it! But I reckon CG did
    Her eye waz lookin’ shot (bet she keeps the bottle hid)
    Charlie’s Mum’s ‘inspired’!( Hah!She doesn’t know us yet..)
    That Lotus? well.. she’s loose as…123.. no sweat!
    Suejen’s gorn ‘internal’, (must be searchin’ for ‘er mind..)
    I’d get outa’ there… dunno wat you’d find!
    And the WINNER?…eenie..meeenie….
    Gotta be…TA DAAAA!…It’s GG! in BIKINI!

……This has been the PR Report, coming to you from Gypsland….

That’s the broad view of todays headline’s folks, now for the news in brief….. I am NOT FAT ANYMORE – I AM A LOSER!

Talk about reverse psychology! Welcome to my backwards, Charlie’s mum.. Run! or risk it and we will belittle you! Leo, You caught our infection, shrinking awesome! Have a happy day all. xx Gyps PR.

Hi Charliesmum, we are not normally mad and do stick to the topic, but love to have some fun as you can see. We will support you on your journey and any issues you have as well as answer any questions so please ask.
    In books, I love a good mystery/ court case. Anything that gets the brain involved.
    Fasting today, other than two choc mint biscuits when a friend called in for coffee, damn! Gee I enjoyed the forbidden fruit though.small bowl of veg soup around lunch time, been in and out most of the day. Quite cold and windy too but staying strong by not nibbling.
    I’ve had the girgliest tummy and the trots for the last couple of days, hoping it’s disolved fat moving out for good! I had mushroom strog (made with tinned mushies in butter sauce and added sour cream, few leftover carrot straws, just so yum) and had it with skinny noodles, took a surprised liking to them this time but this tummy upset started around 12 hours after the noodles. Check up on them Konjak (sp?) and this is a common side effect as the are over loaded with fibre but no cals. I’ll use them again but not in the near future, I really did like them.
    Off to the surgeon tomorrow so big day, early start late home but hope it’s worth it by getting results. If he’d only give me a possiblt date for an op I’d be happy, we’ll see.

Take care team, your fast is almost over…FOXY WHERE ARE YOU????
    Stay safe CG xxx πŸ™‚

Gypsy, you are in fine form!
    I have already posted once today but that was before I went shopping. And before I bought some jeans IN A SMALLER SIZE than I have worn for years!
    Just a tad excited!
    Cheers, all!

Hmmmmm, I’m of two minds about Gypsy’s post …. unfortunately one is out looking for the other!!!!!! πŸ™‚

FD is doing my head in today, usually go out but am stuck at home so thank goodness it’s nearly mid arvo. Time for a licorice tea.

Thinking of you tomorrow CG, hoping for a date with the surgeon.

And we are not really mad Charliesmum, just when Gypsy is around. Woo hoo Up, smaller jeans. Bet you’re dancing in them! YY

AND NOW A WORD FROM “THE TREASURE” (R YOU SURE GYPSY THERE SHOULD be an R AT THE END OF THE WORD?)We all know That I am a treasure!
    I am pleased to announce that our coffers are filling fast with unwanted kilograms and FAT. There is a spillage of FAT and kilograms due to occur in the next week ,as the container is almost at its capacity. Many losers are lining up to deposit each week with alarming force. Our source has reported that there are many LOSERS out there that have not weighed due to technical faults. We, at the treasury are expecting enormous deposits over the next 14 days.Replacement containers able to contain larger volumes of KILOGRAMS and FAT have been ordered. YOURS “THE TREASURE”……..GO GAL

…sigh…that Yum Yum is a bad influence, but I’m on it Pres, going straight, …Promise.
    Up, great stuff! Nothing has made me feel so irrationally delighted as my pants falling down …..um….oh, well…I’ll try again later.

Jeese, straight is so…unbent! I’m not ready…

Gypsy pot,kettle and black come to mind ……we better watch it or Madam President may come back on and stand us in the corner. Tsk Tsk Tsk πŸ™‚

Been trawling the site seeing I’m home today and Dr. M no less weighed in on a thread about handling fast days. He responded to someone asking about feeling cold who also has an underactive thyroid problem. Seeing that is me I read through and he said the thyroid problem is why they were feeling cold on fast days.

Well, that explains me – don’t know about you lot ….. YY

Oo! I feel myself, personally, there was no error in the elective phase. The TREASURE, is nuts too! Excellent research, GG! And no, there was never meant to be an ‘r’ on the end – it is what it is.

So is anyone else getting exercise euphoria? I got off the treadmill so chirpy! My OH is grinning as I sit here on the computer, munching on a celery stick and cackling like a loon. He is such a supportive darling at the best of times (and the worst) but he reckons it’s me, lighting his life again, that I’ve come back from a looong way down these past few weeks. I do feel so much happier having a win over the lard. It’s so personal, isn’t it? I can’t remember exactly when I started to avoid looking in the mirror, but I don’t hate what I see anymore. My smile lines are not grim downward wrinkles. I’m BACK! I so hope it works that way for you, too, Doggy, and Leo is on the way! Look good- FEEL good! We used to do this frivolous makeup and wig try-out program for our patients on chemo, and it really works to see your image to the world improved. I love seeing my shape re-appear! Is that vain? I really never knew it mattered so much. I’m still a pudge at 85kgs, so I think it’s just the feeling of WINNING for a change! Carry on, girls, whatever stage you are at, we CAN do this!

What a lot of good news from all of you. Well done, losers. Soooo well done, Up. Isn’t it a wonderful feeling, you be as excited as you like! :-). And parading in front of a mirror can be a bit addictive, Gypsy.

FD for me today, much easier than Monday this week. I have cut out the piece of fruit in the middle of the afternoon, just the egg for lunch, carrot when I get home, and full plate of salad for dinner.

Yum Yum and Gypsy, you crack me up. It’s a delight to follow the thread when you are in full flow.

Sounds like the crime / mystery is the genre of choice amongst us – my favourite read as well.

Best of luck with the surgeon tomorrow, CG. Tell him we need our President in ruddy good health, all stops are to be pulled out. πŸ™‚

A really big welcome to CHARLIESMUM… So pleased you have joined our team!. We have alot of fun and there is always a bag full of laughs. To really get to know us there are 68 pages of life in words. we share many personal stories of sadness , success and current situations that effect each one of us daily. We are a very united & supportive group of guys and gals. Any help you need just coooeeee and one of us will help you.
    ALL of the team joined this thread because we all had a common goal, which was to lose weight in a healthy controlled way which was doable to our way of life (WOL)to attain the benefits of warding off some of the conditions/diseases that are part and parcel of life. I sincerely hope you enjoy this new WOL and WAY OF EATING (WOE)
    WELCOME TO AUSSIE DETERMINATION…….YOU CAN DO THIS……Your journey has began!

Well done UP smaller jeans YYYYYYAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    OOOOOHHHHH GYPSY – you so crack me up!!! love ya gal. There is some hilarious banter going on between you and Yammy one …
    YY- I can offer you air con ,room service and you don’t have to be in 40 deg heat in a caravan ! to cater for your delicate state.
    Take care all ….. YOU ARE ALL SO AWESOME!! ……..GO GAlxxx

Thanks for the welcome Go Gal. Looking forward to joining in the fun. Onward & downward!! CM

My goodness I’m not sure what to say about today’s posts…I just can’t compete! So great to read though & keeps us looking for more. We are a great group aren’t we – and as someone said, Madam President I think, so modest too! But credit where credit is due, and I’m sure that it helps us to continue on our journey.

Yes a crime/mystery/psychological/political thriller or something with a twist is what I love. My OH says he doesn’t get that I love such bloodthirsty stuff when I’m such a quiet, peace-loving type.

CG all the best with the surgeon tomorrow. Gypsy it’s GREAT that you love seeing your shape re-appear! And love the next edition of your witty creations. Barata you’ve found what most of us have, that we don’t cope so well with fruit on fast days. Brings on the yums (NO not you Yumyum). Gogal LUV your spin on the treasury deposits, plus the Treasure. Ooh just picture it! Lotus aah I see. I was hanging out for bread with my homemade PH after my fast & that’s what I had. Shan’t do that again then. Will try your nuts and water trick. Welcome Charlie’smum tell us where you’re from & the Secretary of Internal Affairs (me) will add you to the team list if you wish.

Aand speaking of the list, Foxy where are you?????????? We’ve missed you. suejen

To the Secretary of Internal Affairs (aka suegen) – as instructed, my location is Fremantle, WA. Happy to be added to Team List!
    YumYum – You seem to be from my neck of the woods….and no, I’m sure you’re not ALL crazy! I look forward to reading all about Gypsie in earlier posts….
    Thanks for the welcome CountryGal. Looking forward to all the adventures that lie ahead. Sounds like a great support network. CM x

So, nearly a respectable time to go back to bed, book and water. Historical gore like Henry the 8th is my thing, love the intrigue of words and undercurrents of the period classics like Jane Erye. I have made it through FD under par so far. Even did the vacuuming and weeded the pot plants. My ferns have gone troppo in this humidity. We have another cyclone brewing in the gulf, but at least the heat has finally gone down a few notches.

nice to hear from you Barata. And Suejen keep up the cataloguing, it does bind us to have a roll call, you did good. Any one heard from Yellow? Foxy?

Doggy, give that mutt some Phenergan and get a good night’s sleep!

CG, crossing everything for a good outcome re your surgical apt, tomorrow, remember your motto, and don’t sweat the small stuff!…. and don’t worry, I’ll keep yummy under control while yore laid up….the Treasure will bring us all to account! Nite All, xx gyps

Hi all, are we going with first names now? You can sure add me. I’m Marleen and I live in Antwerp, Belgium.

My day started off great, 2 bikinis I ordered through Aliexpress came. But then I found out my dad has been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (the dictionary tells me, I hope the translation is correct). He’s already on meds but now he’ll have to stop smoking so it’s going to be quite stressful on the days I spend with my parents. Especially because I usually eat with them on FDs because my mum is my 5:2 buddy. So mother without food and father without cigarettes is going to make for a very interesting phase in our lives. I don’t really know much about it yet.

Gee, CG, I hope your appointment goes well, you deserve a bit of relief.

Gypsy, I just read a historic novel about a man who helped make the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary from an asylum. I really loved it, can recommend. It’s called The Surgeon of Crowthorne: A Tale of Murder, Madness and the Love of Words by Simon Winchester

THE LATEST AND GREATEST:
    FOXY- Albany, WA
    SUEJEN – Sue, Margaret River, WA
    YUM YUM – Perth, WA
    Charliesmum – Fremantle, WA
    COUNTRYGAL GAYLE – Sth Gippsland, VIC
    BALI – Geelong, Vic
    FATBLASTER – KANTIYA- Morang, Vic
    Fastina – Melbourne, VIC
    UPTIGHT – Brisbane, QLD
    GYPSY – Zelda, Halifax, QLD
    MAKEITSO – Rose, Brisbane, QLD
    DoitinParadise – Gold Coast, QLD
    GO GAL -Janeen, Forster, NSW
    Lotus123 – Sydney, NSW
    LEO THE LION – Rachael, Collinsvale, TAS
    Dogsabie or Doggy – Margaret , Binalong Bay, TAS
    FITTORETIRE – near Dublin, Ireland (Honarary Aussie! family in Sydney)
    BARATA – Wellington, NZ – another honorary Aussie (two children, two grandies in Sydney)
    Flemishcurves – Marleen, Antwerp, Belgium (another honorary Aussie)

TIMING OF MEALS
    What I discovered on timing of meals & whether important or not (from Michael or similar on the forums):

“There are tens of thousands of people quietly being successful with 5:2. The ones who are not being successful generally are simply eating too much on their non-diet days (and often their diet days, too). It makes no difference if you eat a (small) breakfast, lunch and/or dinner on your diet days, eat only one meal or don’t eat anything, because time between meals is irrelevant. It is the severe calorie restriction twice a week that counts!”

“Having stated the theory, recent research (that needs to be confirmed) indicates that the fewer times you eat a day, the better the weight loss and blood work results, at least for people with type 2 diabetes. One group ate six times a day, another two times a day. The nutritional and caloric intake of the two diets was identical. After three months, the two groups switched diets and went for another three months. The results were that the two meal a day group(s) lost more weight and had better blood work results than the six meal a day group(s). There is much interesting there, including the fact the groups ate identical diets but the two meal a day groups lost materially more weight.”
    However this is not backed up by another post (same lady)
    β€œQuick update: Our β€œmeal timing” study is now finished and the results have been published in the Journal, Obesity. Please find a link to the abstract below…
    Results from this study show that people can eat the fast day meal at dinner or as small meals throughout the day and lose the same amount of weight as eating the meal at lunch. This is contrary to what we expected…before the study was complete, we assumed that people would not be able to control their calories if they ate small meals throughout the day. We were wrong!
    In short, feel free to spread your fast day calories throughout the day if this works for you.”
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25251676

Soo…….take your pick! Do whatever works for you.

Hi Gang!
    Just as well I’m retired or I could never keep up the banter on this thread. As we say in Ireland, you are all great ‘craic’!! πŸ™‚ I’m half afraid the men in white coats will be coming to take me away, if I keep sitting in front of my computer laughing my head off!
    Doggy – I so feel for you with the broken sleep, but a good power nap can be all it takes to put you back on top form again. Very clever to have your ratatouille prepared in advance…wise (old) πŸ˜‰ owl!
    Leo – you’re on your way, woohoo!! Weighing every day can be a bit of a rollercoaster, so don’t feel down if you’re not getting the readings you want. Picking one day a week to record as your ‘official’ weight can be helpful and you will see the overall downward trend. So happy for you πŸ™‚
    CG – inspirational as usual. Sorry your tum acting up, you’ll be a ‘skinny noodle’ yourself before long….ha ha! Having a similar eye problem for the last few months, eye drops all day and gooey gel to put in overnight so that I can get my eye to open in the mornings. Might need op to lift the eyelid if things don’t improve…maybe I can get whole facelift while I’m at it!!
    Charlie’s mum – big welcome to you. Wow, you’re doing really well. I agree not to include exercise on MFP – it just gives you false sense of how much you can eat. Keep up the good work.
    Lotus – no, you’re not vain. It’s wonderful to get compliments from others…lap it up, you deserve it.
    YY – agree with you about trying to remember posts from previous page…just can’t do it, so please don’t be offended if I miss someone when I post. Not intentional πŸ™
    Gypsy – you are an absolute hoot – love the verse! πŸ˜‰
    Uptight – smaller jeans?!!! That’s amaaaaazing!!
    GG – love the idea of visualizing that pile of fat mounting up and disappearing away. Good riddance!
    Love to read a good thriller myself – seems like we’re all of a similar mind. Read ‘Gone Girl’ but didn’t see the movie – really enjoyed the book. Fast day for me today….tried spinach and poached eggs for a change, not the tastiest thing in the world but quite filling.
    All the best for now…Fit

suejen, that’s very interesting.

I always say it’s important to find what works for you, because even if there were a ‘better’ way to do it, if it’s not sustainable for you because you are miserable, it’s not going to be better at all. That’s what I love about this thread, many people ding it the way it works for them, with no judgement from the rest.

Hi Flemmy! Our posts crossed so I didn’t get to say hello to you. Hope all goes well for your dad. Agree with you that this is the best wol and this is the best thread full of good hearted people.
    Had to take big break in the middle of my post because my younger daughter who is at college in England wanted to skype. Turns out she had major asthma attack last night and ended up calling an ambulance for herself, as all her friends were out. Very scary and lonely for her. She is bit better today and has been to the doc this morning to get new type of inhaler and other meds. My heart was broken looking at her in tears on the screen and I so wanted to hug her, it hurts πŸ™ Also fasting today, so not feeling my usual chirpy self.

Oh no, that poot girl. It breaks my heart reading it and I don’t even know her. I once had to travel back to Barcelona with the flu and almost passend out on the train from the airport. Being sick alone abroad is not fun at all. I hope she’s fine now. But if she’s scrappy like her mum, she’ll be okay. I got very tired after dinner and everyone here is Dick today so oud FD isn’t doing so well either. My dad has an appointment for a test that’ll allow him the meds he needs so that’s good. He’s playing the piano now, that always cheers him up. Just glad it isn’t cancer. Wish your daughter all the best and send her lots of digital hugs. Hope she got over that horrible fright.

Hi everybody. This is my weekly catchup and boy has this been a taxing time catching up on all of you – lots of reading …. We have been away for a week doing some site seeing around Dubbo and then to the Eagles concert in Sydney. What a great group of musicians. To add to the list, My name is Janice and I am in Port Macquarie NSW – not far from you Go Gal (AKA Janeen)in Forster. So FD yesterday and after a week holidaying I am happy to report that I only put on 100gm! Very happy with that result. Also the waist went down 2 cm. Not sure trhat this weekly reading session is such a good idea, I am always too late to comment on your comments so feel a little left out .. need to reassess my approach hre. Hmmm … thinking…

Have a good day everybody – we are off to Coffs Harbour today to see the MIGHTY SWANS play in a pre season match against the Brisbane Lions … ah.. this is the life …

Hi Fit! thinking of you and your poor daughter. Hope she feels better soon. For spinach and eggs, have you tried ever stir-frying or pouring some soy sauce / oyster sauce/ chilies and garlic on the cooked spinach? They taste quiet yummy, and less bland than with just eggs. Something like the Chinese greens they serve on yum cha trolleys.

Hi Flemish! In the middle of your post- … everyone here is “Dick” today? did you mean “sick” ? although the other is true at my workplace this morning πŸ™‚
    Hi Ruxton! Eagles Concert and then Swans match!! Living the life πŸ™‚ And big congrats on losing 2 cm in the waist! Its the best thing we can do for our health πŸ™‚

Fast Day today for me ( 4:3- Mon, Wed, Fri) and someone has decided to order pizza at lunch for all staff- sigh, have to go for a walk to avoid temptation. Had a weird but healthy and tasty brunch just now (10 am Sydney time)- one boiled egg white, about 6 sticks each of carrots and celery, and some 50 gms of turkey breast (steggles, oven roasted) and six almonds – altogether about 150 cals and really filling.

Hi all. Weigh in day for me. Another 600 grams down this week. Now wonder I could fit into smaller jeans. It is really happening. Finally the weight is starting to shift in the places I really want it to!
    Good to read that stuff Suejen as my sister has to eat six times a day on fast days due to medication issues.
    Fit, it is hard when our kids are away from us. My son studies in New York and I worry about him all the time when it comes to health.
    Actually yesterday my daughter got really sick a few hours after giving blood. She is so good. Not many 21 yr olds think to do that. She has been doing it since 18. I think though that she may need to rethink it as shaking, sweating,dizziness and nausea are pretty significant side effects when it just comes upon you out in public. We have asthma in our family too and that can be scary.

I will be seeing my son though in a couple of weeks as I will be moving to Connecticut for a few months. I have started packing and it is freaking me out. From an autumn heatwave here to a spring under snow over there. Also, then I will have to worry about my daughter instead!
    It is why I bought those new smaller jeans yesterday. Now I have to find some kind of parka thing. In this heat….
    Ruxton, my dad and my brother live in Port Macquarie. Beautiful place. Lucky you!
    Have a good day all.

Hello everyone! Sorry that have been MIA! Just a lot going on for me lately, plus we are very busy workwise (so that’s good….more income for us!). I’ve only had a week off of the forum, but so much to catch up on, I’ll have to try and keep up over next few days. Thank you for missing me! πŸ™‚

A big welcome Charliesmum! As suejen says, I am in Albany WA, so nice to have another WA person on AD! I am Kerry.

Oh Flemmy…..I read your post with despair about your dad. Sorry but this is very personal for me. My mum died 16 months ago from Ischaemic heart disease….the contributory cause being COPD…..she also has type 2 diabetes and lots of trouble with her circulation from smoking and type 2. Watching her in those last 6 months gasping for breath on oxygen 24/7 was pretty heart rendering…..one of the reasons my weight ballooned to 90kg…..thankfully she died peacefully in her sleep, her heart just stopped….her greatest fear was that she would die from lack of breath…..sorry if I paint a bad picture, I hope your dad will be OK and not suffer any of these symptoms….my mum actually gave up smoking 10 years before she died, but she had smoked for 47 years so she still got the COPD….any smokers out there PLEASE GIVE IT UP.

On a happier note, weigh in day today and I am happy to say that I’ve lost 500 grams and am down to 71.2 woo hoo! Hubby has lost a total of 5 kg in 6 weeks so he’s going strong too.

Now to try and catch up….

Foxy, Flemmy – I can so relate to your posts, having lost both parents and my eldest sister some years back. All passed away due to complications from Diabetes or Arthritis (for my sis, though her husband didn’t tell us too much in details how that happened.). Now my two other surviving siblings have diabetes, funny thing, none of them are even remotely overweight. I am feeling really emotional as I write this, sometimes, grief just comes back in waves, we can never stop grieving it seems.
    I am overweight and glucose intolerant but hopefully through this WOL and remaining active, I can beat the diseases!

On a (much) brighter note! Foxy: How good is it to be 71.5 Foxy, from 90 kgs that too!! How chuffed you must be. Also, congrats to your hubby! I wish my hubby would do 5:2 too ( he has about 4 kilos only to lose) – but he’s scared of fasting!

Uptight: How exciting for you to live in Connecticut for a few months. Is your son going to very surprised to see the new svelte you or has he already seen the changes? Good luck with your travels πŸ™‚ For parkas, try online- I saw some really good ones at Uniqlo (Japanese Brand, reasonable but really amazing quality). They have a store in Sydney but do ship stuff around Australia.

Oops, forgot to add, my real name- Harini.

Hi all, it is overwhelming and delightful to try and keep up with you all.
    So many great stories of 5:2 successes and pitfalls. I have just completed week 5 of 5:2 WOE and I love it. It is so easy to do and so forgiving (at this stage). I am in Dubbo NSW for the record.
    Thanks for the great advice and it is very empowering to know some of the pitfalls in advance ie ‘plateau’ etc. Thank you for your shares. I have lost 4kg and 10 cm from my hips. YAY TEAM.

Gypsybell, sorry to butt in, but if you are a henry vii fan, look out for Wolf Hall, havent read the book yet, but the BBC drama was brilliant. Really slow, but once you get used to the pace, you dont want it to go any quicker

Thanks, Lotus! Good point! He probably doesn’t even know about my weight loss. He does half marathons and is skinny so weight talk is not on our radar. I will report back if he ever gets to see me without a zillion layers! Cheers

Morning all. Weighed in at 5.9 kg’s this AM. That’s up .9 from the lowest I’ve flashed, but it doesn’t worry me anymore. I have this pattern of fluctuating anything up to 2 kilos for a week or so before it settles to a lower baseline. I really think it’s to do with the heat and fluids. I always get thinner in winter. Guess we are all different. but my overall appearance is in so much better shape! My energy levels, too. And it all snowballs, doesn’t it? Here I was beginning to accept that I was an old woman and the fun stuff was over. Not so. (or maybe I just found 2nd childhood?). Ha! bring it on!

Anyway, can’t dispute I am heading for a 9 kilo loss in around 4 months. It may have seemed torturous to begin, but now it is coming into the undeniably amazing phase! Myself is still young! And It’s a bonus to have you all to vent my excitement to, and get indulgent empathy. Others would not understand the real thrill of this sort of personal win. I AM still straight in other quarters! Borne of loooong training, I do not twitch a funny bone out of place! We all have many facets, And few have been privy to all of mine ! Those that are, I call friends. You’re an amazing lot. And it’s that non judgemental, thread of human determination and hope that binds us.

On that note, FC, can I say I truly know how your Dad’s condition affects you. My dad had emphysema, (tho in the end it was bowel cancer that killed him) He was a smoker, too. And it was awful to see his struggles to breathe and still reach for a smoke. You’ll want to lecture, but please don’t. He knows. (Just like we knew we were fat, but just COULDN’T give up chocolate etc) He will have the stages of grief to go through. Anger, denial, acceptance and, maybe, compliance. But it has to be his choice, at his own pace. Smoking is his lifelong friend/comfort in all highs and lows, no doubt, (and he never needed a friend more than he does at the moment, no doubt?). Everyone will zero on it. Be the one who doesn’t. Give him the empathy you give us. I am cancer nurse, and found this approach to be the best support I could give to my patients, respect their right to grieve for the loss of a fundamental way of life. It takes just what it’s taking us to change our lifelong eating habits, if not more). First step in helping him cope, would be to find out what sort of lung mal function he is up against and don’t go off half cocked. COPD, or COAD (chronic obstructive airways disease)can have various causes, and depending on which one, there are measures one can take to manage it. That being said, they all present as diminished air intake and effect the quality of life. STRESS of any nature is the biggest trigger of an airways disease episode. Work around that and you may find that soothing your mum is the best way to let him breathe! Let me know If I can help in any way.

Thanks Milena, have just downloaded the first series. sounds just my thing! Drop in any time!

and FC, I will keep an eye out for the book you mentioned. Suejen, great post on the timing of meals, good to know. the flexibility of 5:2 is what really counts!
    Fit, thinking of you worrying about your daughter. It’s hard to let them leave the nest, but you are an awesome parent to support her independence. That’s the goal. We can’t be there forever. be glad she knows the line home is always open (some don’t). She will be fine because you make her strong. xx .
    and lookit you, UP! flitting overseas! Sssshiver..’n’ shake that booty, girl!

Foxy! Lotus! good to hear from you both, and isn’t it amazing how many of us shared the same experiences over the lifespan. Losing a loved on is never easy. But it reminds one to do what they can for the ones we have left. I don’t take life for granted these days. good weight loss, mates. Hi to you too, Focus, good you are still hanging in there!

Let us all share a mo to hope CG’s surgeon gives her good news!

Doggie! I didn’t mean to dope yore puppy! really! Have you passed out from fatigue? Have a good day all! gyps

You’re a good girl Gypsy, still a M B but a good girl πŸ™‚

Foxy, Flemmy and Lotus it is the experiences we have had that shape us into caring friends where we can empathise with each other’s highs and lows.

Wondering how our fearless leader is getting on today but have to go out so will check back in later. YY xxx

Uh Gupsy I’m seriously concerned about you. 5.9kg’s is not a good weight for you!!! LOL
    But jokes aside you deserve to be thrilled and excited at a 9kg loss in 4 months. Way to go!!
    Focus49 welcome to the team. You will get heaps of encouragement, commiserations or…whatever you need. But yes it’s a great WOL! Your 4 kilos proves it – gee I wish I lost 10cm off my hips, rather than my bust.
    Foxy congrats down to 71.2 woo hoo is correct!!
    Uptight we have something else in common. I have a son living in San Francisco with his Cali wife and 2 kids, plus no 3 on the way this year. Hope next year when I retire fully to be able to go visit for longer like you are. Sure miss them all.
    Gee Ruxton losing 2cm off your waist on a holiday – you sure know how to do this WOL.
    Fit so glad that your daughter had the sense to call an ambulance…so many people with asthma don’t. Very glad that she’s got new meds & hope she sticks with them daily. I’ve been an asthma educator for 9 years & oldest son has asthma & it can be scary stuff. If she can get herself down to needing her reliever (blue/grey) about 3 times a week then she’s got it back under control. She may know all this but just in case.
    Well was going to be FD today for me but I caved in. This week was different days for me, but next week will be back to Mon & Thurs & that’s how I like it. I’m a bit of a sook really…I like 2 days between my FD’s! And a homemade Egg McMuffin was calling me this morning. At least it was a healthy version.
    Congrats on all the losses/successful fast days/cm’s & have a great day all. sj

Viewing 50 posts - 3,401 through 3,450 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.