Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 9,351 through 9,400 (of 14,786 total)

• Oh Fit, so true, it is the grazing, my meals are healthy too, but those “empty” times, in front of a movie or watching cricket etc, that’s when the nibbles start, or when I pour a coffee just need that something with it. I don’t want to be overly strict, this way of life must be sustainable with the basic strictness on the fast days. Anyway, I must be doing something right, I don’t gain much, up to 76.2 yesterday morning after the week end, 74.1 this morning after my fast so they do work, but I can’t live on fasts ?
    Fit, I miss my parents terribly and often wonder how proud they are of what I have achieved, especially around my property, but wholly believe, they are with me all the time, in fact I have some quite comical conversations with them and glad neighbours are too far away to hear me. If I’m not talking to them it’s usually the boys! Time for that white jacket I think!

PH your garden will be a picture and it’s surprising how inexpensive it can be to beautify a small patch.
    Foxtel guy just left, yohooo, so the day is mine…..for a short time anyway, off to feed Lexie then get a load of washing on.
    Have a great day team, just enjoy living, Fit sweet dreams, Gypsy, I do hope all is well for you, you’re in my thoughts ? xxxxxxx

Hay team, I just noticed we have 200 pages coming up soon, so keep up the great work and post, post, post! ???

Morning Team. I could not sleep either……Too many things going on in my head and OH snoring away like a steam train. I think I finally fell into sleep somewhere around 2.30am.
    Have the day off today…..one of so many at the moment…I am permanent part time, so I work one shift a fortnight and usually pick up others. we have 3 new casuals and my boss tries to allocate shifts fairly. So I am missing out on extra work.
    AS much as I like being at home or visiting Mum I do love the interaction with my clients.
    PH -how is Brandy today?
    I know back in the old days hot compresses were used for many bites then the trend changed ….as it does….I believe ,if it gives relief use it . and stings
    Will spend today doing home duties, a pilates session and preparing dinner. there is a cool breeze…will even consider a nana nap later.
    NOOTS- all the best for tomorrow…..You should be OK with the fasting…Treat it like a FD.
    CG- we will possible nana nap at the same time……that {{{{HUG}}} is on its way to you xxxxxx
    Enjoy your day and any treats …like that Barista made coffee and crunchy multigrain salmon and caper roll….Now you know what I am looking forward to!

All the best …….GO GALxxxxxxx

Hi PH – all your planting etc sounds lovely, you should be very proud of all you have achieved. πŸ™‚ What exactly is a breezeway? Don’t think we do those over here! No offense taken re Irish remedy….we love to laugh at ourselves too!! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for your kind remarks too – you are so thoughtful xx
    CG – I’m sure your parents are immensely proud of how you have triumphed over all the obstacles and difficulties that life has thrown at you and how you have come out the other side with a wonderful family, beautiful surroundings and a fulfilled life where you continue to inspire others to be the best they can…..our fearless leader!! <3

Mornin’ GG – it’s great to see you here so early. Sorry that you had a bad night too, enjoy the nanny nap and hopefully you will get just the right amount of shifts at work when you want them. Xx

Hi all.

Fit, we had a labrador before and that is why, much as we loved that beautiful dog, we got the labradoodle. Our lab wasn’t allowed much in the house, just one room. If CSI came,although it has been a couple of years at least, I imagine they could still rustle up some DNA!

I also understand about your mother. I lost mine to cancer at 14, and the anniversary is coming up as it was in December. Christmas is always tinged with sadness for me.

Funny about mozzies. Here in Aus, my husband is an early warning detector system, they love him! We went to India once. They left him alone and tried to target me. We stayed in Venice another time with german friends. They were eaten alive and we were both fine!

Well, I was just going to stick with the egg but at around 8 my husband, who had been out for lunch, said he was going down to cook some eggs for himself. He had been at his desk working so I thought it was time for us to catch up while he was taking a break.

I wasn’t bad, decided to try a frozen meal that I had bought at half price for emergencies or whatever. I guess this was whatever. It was about 300 cals, can’t remember now. It was beef, kale and red quinoa lasagne. Not bad, but in truth I wouldn’t have had it except I was looking at him eat. Anyway, good to know I can do it if I need to!

Good luck, Noots with the op. Hadn’t thought about the fasting bit!

Well, off to the groomers. Waiting to hear about Brandy, PH.

PS, my fitbit summary tells me that I averaged 0 minutes to fall asleep last week. Don’t know if it was accurate, but working sure wears me out!

Hi team, my latest news! The hospital just phoned, surgery Monday, they will phone Friday with admission time! Golly no time for nerves or much planning. I’ll notify Glenn so he will be here to drive me in and pick me up as well as stay here the night with the boys and Maggy….and feed Lexie, so much responsibility with pets, but I wouldn’t be without them of course, they fill my life and heart……..few calls to make now, chat soon..xxxxxx

Up – that was so very young to lose your mum, I can’t begin to imagine how painful that must have been. There is something about Christmas that makes loss so much keener. My sister who used to host her in-laws, aunts, uncles and my parents until one by one they all died, now absolutely hates Christmas – it holds nothing but bad memories for her.
    CG – it’s good to get an early date for your op, it will be over before you know it. I am absolutely amazed at the efficiency of your health system; over here all that would have taken months or maybe longer if you’re a public patient without private health insurance.

Morning Team. Wow CG that’s quick. Good but as you don’t have time for worrying really as you say just planning & preparing. Hey you can insist they weigh you straight after! I had a month in hospital threatening to miscarry with D2 so got to see lots. We had this lady who’d shut herself in her house cos she was so enormous but eventually they hacked in & got her out. She had masses of huge stones/growths of some sort (the memory fails me there) & she’d come back from theatre & they’d weigh her each time (in a sling of course) & say Wow you lost a kg or 1 1/2kg. Never did hear what happened to her in the end but everyone got excited when she came back to the ward.
    Well had a good FD but only lost .2kg that is just not fair! I quite often lose a kg or even more. Last fast was .3 also. Now I didn’t exercise due to my back/neck so maybe that’s the answer, but should be back to it soon. 2nd visit to physio today. Back is good neck not so good. Bites are settling but don’t look pretty.
    As to all the pets we started off with our golden retriever & then had a mad but loveable cocker spaniel. Plus 2 cats. After the last cat & dog died softy OH said he couldn’t take any more. But he’s just starting to think about a dog now though will have to wait till after our 9 weeks away next year.
    Thankfully you’ve all reminded me about Vitamin B12 had forgotten that I started that last year at the chemist’s advice.

Well 8am is upon me & gotta be on my way. More posts later! Have a luverly day team sj XXXX

Hellooo! You’ll note I’m early, 6.15 a.m. when I started this. And God knows when I’ll finish it. May get a few moments here and there all day, but it is a compromise. I’ve missed you all and don’t want to be too far out of the loop (but no time to read up AND write) so opted to let u all know that I’m still here.

Have been making a concentrated effort to encourage (shove, bludgeon, cajole, threaten, blackmail, manipulate.. etc) the leprechaun, into changing some base habits. One of which being not to sit on the computer for hours at any given time, so…. being as how I learned long ago that one must lead by example (or forget being a hot air balloon) I have to follow suit.

(sigh)…I’m sure it’s all very good for me….but I am cheating by getting up before dawn to have a sinful hour breaking the rules! (he’s allowed to sleep in til at least 7!) Then I will be busy shovelling proper diabetic type food into him and (having turned all helpless myself) will require his expert opinion and assistance with numerous challenging chores I’ve taken on. Xmas lights and significant other activities, requiring the full range of body movement…(oooowch!… @!#$!!&*)#!) ladders, weeds, gutters. God, I’m about down to polishing individual grains of sand between the external pavers!

So what with all that sunshine, regular hours, small portions of (5:2 type) fresh food, herbal teas (instead of booze, shock horror!) he’s losing weight and feeling better. Which means his liver is too, it’s hopefully reducing his insulin resistance instead of upping his insulin dosage. And it’s got nothing to do with me! I just carted him off to a diabetic-care nurse(one I trained 20yrs ago)and got him, male to male, to do a number on us as a couple. Both of them looooved the opportunity to lecture me (eyes rolling)… ah… bring back the days of true power…. (behind the throne!)

So – He’s helping ME get control of MY diabetes so I don’t end up like him. LOL! Dear man. He’s ever the gentleman Galahad. (shhh) he is loving the attention and getting hooked on the diet he doesn’t know he’s having, because he FLATLY refuses anything under the heading ‘diet’ on his own behalf. However, twice a week I don’t choose to have breakfast and he’s decided his sugar reading goes down better with some distance between meals ‘once in a while’. Puff, puff. I just have to ‘do as I’m told’ (so long as I remain confused – terrible, my sugar is spiking you know) … and make sure he never checks MY glucometer. He really needs to worry about me to take his mind off the possibility of being free to drop dead!

Yes, I know I can’t do it all for him (I can hear youse!), but I can prove it can be done. And breaking habits requires inspirational motivation. So I’m on duty, really, (my rehab hat). We get babies to try some Gawd awful new foods by aeroplaning spoons at their gobs and making faces to the tune of “yummy, yummy….” , so enthusiasm is required! …. usually until they choose to adopt at least a few of our offerings, and learn to hold the spoon for themselves. Much the same as for a retraining stroke victim. So I’m just tailoring his care plan. No point telling him just yet that all this cossetting is aimed at weaning him off crutches onto independent choices for HIS better health. First getting him actually feeling the ‘better’ aspect is the key. Babes don’t choose to stop walking once they’ve mastered the skill. We pray.

Heh, heh, I know I sound condescending, too! But it’s just a game we pretend to play. Deadly serious stuff! (LOL) one has to understand the Geordie lolligobbleblissbomb of a bloke I’ve duelled wits with for 10 yrs now (Half Irish, half Scot raised on Tyne, where the words ‘stubborn & male’ were invented)nothing is as it seems and he’s not dumb. It just has to be my weakness, not his. Geordies aren’t allowed to be under the thumb. Or even hold a woman’s hand in public (unless she needs some assistance).So their women have to be devious to look after their men. At least that is my take on it. (after many failed toe to toe’s on issues up front) – he won’t be ‘told’ on principle, so best not even discuss it! Meanwhile, he’s letting me lead the way without losing face, so I’m winning!

So It’s 9.30 now and my warble has been in snatches (of lost plots) and pretty stoopid. Not to mention self aggrandising. Ah, but I feel lighter, even if the bloody scales don’t agree!

anyway, have managed to read beck a bit and agree, CG, the 5:2 health benefits are the priority aspect. They can’t be disputed and weight loss is a bonus. It may well be that the body knows best when it plateaus. Mine is just not moving except for the zigzag fluctuation. But it is not going up again. That’s the one joy I remain faith full to. I will figure out how to restart the loss when I have the luxury of focussing on me again. It is more than great not to have to start from scratch. So I hope you can settle to that, too, while you are still crook. Didn’t see your op date. So when is it? Will light a candle. Luck xx

Doggy, hope your ribs are a bit better. You and CG have both had a pretty rough year! Am seriously considering getting a puppy for OH for xmas. He would get exercise then! He loves dogs, but we decided not to get another one as we intended to travel. Something else to focus on might be a better plan at this point. Will think on the matter. We would argue over breeds and size. Maybe a stray will wander in and decide it.

Noots, Luck for your op, too. Enjoy the break from kitchen duties if nothing else!
    SJ, I see you are in the movie business now. You mare into everything, church, school bus, community volunteering! Very civic minded. Sounds fun. You sound fun. onya.

PH sorry about your friend’s hubby, but glad she has you. And FIT, Hope you found a plumber! Your sister is lucky to have you, too!
    UP, school holidays around the bend. Hope you don’t beat them to it! Count to ten, teach, and focus!.

GG thanks for passing my message on and the good wishes. hope you OH stays in remission. Sounds like the reunion venue was a lucky dip. My travel club found it for me. Good to know. Think we may find reunions addictive! Oh for a drink!

But have made a deal to do healthy this week, next week the other leprechaun arrives and we feast! That’s fair. And I find applying the 5:2 principles to life in general works pretty well. So all my intense cleaning and goody fasting will bring back the meaning of Christmas! so I’ m off to rig more lights, ready to turn on for the traditional December 1st! Hope you are all feeling the joy of the season approaching. Strange, I have not for many years, but despite the heat and the hassles, this year I do.

so a very loooong post, but don’t know when I will get to take time out again. Carry on, Mates, xxx Gyps

Hello everyone. Wellcome Poppy. The others have already given you the basics so I won’t repeat them. You will find us very supportive and don’t be afraid to ask for advise. There is always someone who will have the answer. CG , great news about your surgery. The sooner it’s done the sooner you will start to feel better.
    Yes us animal lovers do take on the responsibility for caring for another creature but I wouldn’t be without them. Well Pepper does not look like a million dollars. More like Shaun ( shorn ) the sheep as she took off more than I would have liked. He’s very comfortable though and it will soon grow. She’s such a nice woman. Comes to our house and was here for almost two hours. She wanted to charge me $30 but I insisted on giving her $50 as it was well worth it.
    My FD yesterday went off without a hitch. I was a bit out of protein though and had some Supermarket BBQ chook portion with salads for supper. I doubt if it threw my calorie count out by much. For the first time since starting the 5:2 ten months ago, I am starting to find that I can no longer eat as much as I used to. We went out for takeaway fish and chips over the weekend and I had to leave half my chips.
    PH I’m pleased that your dog is OK. We have a very nasty paralysis tick here in Tasmania. My Golden Retriever was bitten and it was touch an go with him. I have stuff called Frontlne that I apply to the back of the dogs neck once a month.
    Enjoy the day team XX Doggy

Gypsy – what a lovely post. I have no doubt you will weave your spells and have your OH believing he came up with all this healthy stuff himself!! Who cares, as long as it works!! πŸ˜‰ He is one very lucky leprechaun πŸ™‚ Hope you have lots of fun when his mate arrives; you deserve to let your hair down and we know how much hair you have to let down….it could take quite some time πŸ˜† Xxxx

Wow! good one CG! our posts crossed, will be thinking of you Monday. Just breathe and try not to stress. You’ll be right for Xmas. lots of hugs coming your way xxx

Forgot to report the Gawdmuther sez hi to all and is very happy with her first week’s fast days. She lost 3 kgs straight up! so we hav another convert. Really happy for her. she has tried so hard many times and always puts it back on. so this will prove the 5:2 maintenance aspect if she keeps it off. Will see her Friday. Cheer’s all!

Heh, heh, FIT, nice to hear from you, mate. Glad yore not all plumbed out loik… would you happen to know of an easy, spectacularly foolproof, yet tasty dish (food) of traditional Irish flavour? or of Dublin notoriety? or some other tradition I could surprise the dreadful pair with as arrival dinner? I have new potatoes growing in my veg patch, that’s about all my brain has scratched up so far for mains, with peas pudding for a soup filler (and the visitor is totally deserving of my witchetty grub desert, but can’t get any locally, so going with mango and ice cream with brandy liquor (home brewed of course). Thought to attempt beef wellingtons, but that’s not Irish fare, is it?, … or can you tell me the traditional recipe for Irish stew? Luv ya! xx Gyps

CG. I want to comment on your skin cancer issues. I’m in the same boat. I’m of Scandinavian and Scotts decent and born and raised in South Africa. I think most of my sun damage occurred in my youth. We were always playing outside. No hats, no sunscreen no worries. Then in my twenties I lived in Cape Town with access to the beach. More sunbathing and sunburn. I’m now paying the price. I’ve lots of solar keratosis plus had BCCs excised. I’m more careful now but it’s probably too late.
    Thankfully the ribs seem to be on the mend. Still bloody painful mind you and I can’t wear a bra ( apologies men if this is TMI) I’m not letting it get me down though and was able to extend my morning walk to 40 minutes at a fairly brisk pace.
    I’m off to my sewing group this arvo. Some of us sew and sometimes we just natter.
    Nice to see you back Gyspy.

GG, lovely to hear your voice on the phone, I do enjoy our chats, and Gypsy how wonderful to have you back. Doggy when I think of what we used to pour over our skins in my teens to enhance the great tan, I cringe, it looked wonderful, bright bikini’s, string bean figure ha! Not any more and just a very dry patchy skin with tell tail scars. Our issues are the same and I just keep an eye on things, it’s funny when the doctor checks my back and asks “how long has this been here?” Like, I live on my own, how the H would I know!
    Doggy I know ribs can take ages to heal but don’t just guess, get them checked we all hear of strange things happening with ribs.
    Fit, I don’t think the time span would be as quick down town (Melbourne) it’s just being in the country which helps get in quicker.
    Gyps, I’m sure whatever you plan for dinner would be beautiful, there will be so much fun and laughter going on, a vegamite sandwich would probably do! ? but it feels good to go all out and plan something nice. It’s lovely to have you posting again, usually a full glass and feet up read ☺️
    Okay, making some lunch now, really hungry today, telstra guy due (anytime) soon, chat soon xxxxxxxx

Doggie I don’t know how you managed a 40min walk…with no bra on!! Gee think it would have got me down (if you know what I mean)!!! You must be smaller than I am. Yes think we’re all a bit in the same boat with skin damage from youth. I have 3 spots for dr to look at next visit & quite a few BCC’s removed already. Though not as bad as OH as he was a redhead in his youth. What do you sew when you’re sewing Doggy?
    Gyps great to see you back & into your usual go-all-out affair with your dinner. Sounds like a lovely idea & hope Fit can give you a good recipe. I have one for Irish Stew but sure it wouldn’t be traditional. Hope it’s a great day for them leprechauns. Luv yur plan for improving Leprechaun’s diet/habits too – hilarious (in a way!). Gyps…..3kg in the first week my goodness!!! Congrats to the Gawdmuther and Hi.

Well off to make the house look a little decent before I sew again. It’s only getting a cursory glance until my sewing is in the post to America for the grandies. sj XXX

Oh had a wishful thinking or freudian slip or something this morning. I went to my tracker & entered my weight, then looked at my graph & thought Wow that looks good but why??? I had entered 68.8 instead of 69.8! Oh well….one day.

Hi all. Just time for a quick post. Brandy was responding to the treatment when we phoned this morning so fingers crossed. Will get back to you all later. OH ready to go out and help me in the garden. Must not miss this opportunity..

Having a rest in after pressure cleaning half of the breezeway before I do the other half. Just read all the posts. Boy what a lot. Won’t have time to answer them all but I’ll do my best.

Firstly gyps. What a wonderful manipulating gorgeous woman you are. Right after my own heart. Know exactly what you mean. My OH is still suffering depression and it does not matter how many times I mention that exercise is the key he still ignores it. I am leading by example but alas off to the pool is not for him!!!
    So we are doing a lot of gardening!! Building a terrace garden at the end of the breezeway . Old timber feature fence behind it., trellis for the passion fruit vine, pruning all the overgrown shrubs..and the list goes on. There will be jobs to be done from now till Christmas that I need help with, I’ll keep finding jobs outside in the sunshine and requiring exercise. Fortunately his food I have already addressed over a number of years.

CG . Wow great that your surgery is Monday…well and truely over before Christmas and quite likely almost fully recovered. Agree that our health service is pretty good compared to other countries.

Hold the phone..vet just called re Brandy…she is vomiting and the vet thinks there might have been some goaane to her lungs. He is waiting and seeing how she goes and will put her down if she gets worse. Going over to see her possibly one last time. Bye

Oh PH what an awful worrying time to be going through. I’m teary reading your post. I do hope Brandy pulls through, God love her, but obviously she is in good hands should she be suffering, my heart goes out to you, please lets us know the outcome ? xxxx

Oh, PH, how old is your dog? I hope it doesn’t come to that but yes, no need to suffer if it isn’t going to get better.

Literally, just back from the dermatologists. All OK. No further signs of melanoma. Burned off a few things but no squeezing the ball while getting locals and having things sent off for testing. My daughter has just come home from a day at the beach. No sign of sunburn. Hopefully, she won’t have to go through what I do.

Lovely to talk to you GG and thanks for your concern. Thanks to everyone else also…..Have just seen Brandy. Don’t think she will pull through the night . The vet is keeping an eye on her and will put her down if necessary, we have left him to make the decision as we Don’t want her to suffer. She has had a great life with us on the farm and then down here. Was always gently rounding up the calves on the farm as she was a failed sheep dog. A tri coloured collie. The breeder was going to put her down because she failed and a friend of ours saved her and then gave her to us. She was about 3 years old at that stage, our friend kept her for 2 years but had too many dogs and gave her to us. We have had her for 10 years so she has had a long and lovely life. Almost 15 yrs old and was really starting to show her age. Became a house dog when we moved from the farm to Nana Glen almost three years ago. OH and I will miss her dreadfully but have decided not to get another one as next year we will be doing some travelling. Maybe after that.

Will get back to read and answer other posts after dinner. Feeling the love??

Hi all, just read all the previous posts. Too many to answer tonight so just know I am think of you all and send you all hugs. ??((()))
    Fit I will answer your question though. A Breezeway is an area between two buildings. We have a two bedroom house and behind the house is a two bedroom self contained studio which also has a living room a kitchenette and bathroom toilet. The area is covered by a roof and the breeze naturally flows through this area and makes for a cool outdoor space for BBQ and just doing our thing. We spend a lot of time out there s it is usually cooler than in the house or studio . It is a our the same size as the studio, so quite a large area. I guess you would call it an outdoor entertainment area. The difference between that and the front verandah which also stretches right across the house is that it is between two buildings. Hope that answers your question.

Sending you all good night wishes and hope some of you have a better sleep than last night. Nite night???

Hi All,
    PH – thank you for taking the time to answer my silly question in the middle of all you are going through with Brandy. I really hope he pulls through but you are making the right decisions in his best interests. It is so painful to lose a well-loved pet. My heart is sore for you. Lots of hugs ((( )))
    Doggy – hope you enjoyed the sewing and chat! I have also been a sun-worshipper in my youth and got badly burned many times before I saw sense. I now wear factor 50 every day of the year. Well done on getting out for the walk but be careful of those ribs. πŸ™‚
    Gypsy – If I was a better cook, I might be able to come up with some interesting recipes, but I’m afraid I’m useless! However, the most traditional Irish meals are very simple – bacon and cabbage (with, of course, your lovely new spuds and butter!). My mother’s version of Irish stew is as follows: In a large pot, slowly cook carrots and onions in water until well softened (maybe about an hour), add cubes of leanish beef (she used round steak). Season well with salt and pepper. Add dissolved Bisto or similar gravy granules making sure there is enough liquid to cover everything. Let this cook for another hour. Add smallish peeled potatoes (not new ones) or large ones cut into pieces and when bubbling, turn it down to a simmer for another hour. The longer it all cooks the better. If possible, cook it the day before, it has even more flavour the next day. Quantities of everything depend on how many you are feeding and whether you want enough for just one day or two. We usually make enough for two days. Traditional Irish stew is usually made with lamb, which my mother never did. Also, it was a dish designed for cheap cuts of meat but my mum always used quite good beef. Hope that helps! Xxx
    SJ – I also spent a month in hospital before my first daughter was born, what a coincidence! Since I had no other children, I had a photo of my dog on my bedside locker, because I missed him so much. I think the nurses thought I was nuts!! Look after your back and neck with the sewing and housework xx
    Up – so glad to hear all went well with the dermatologist. Hopefully, we have all passed on some wisdom to the next generation about sun safety. πŸ™‚
    CG – hope the time flies by before the surgery and that you make a swift recovery well in time for Christmas. Do you stay at home or go to some of your family for Christmas day? Whatever you do, I hope you are pampered and looked after xxxx
    GG – I think I am in grave need of a kick up the ‘you know what’!! My OH brought me back a huge toblerone from his travels and you know what that means!!! πŸ˜‰ I haven’t opened it yet but it’s calling to me!!! Helllllpppppp!!

Good morning team, evening Fit. Gee it’s cold this morning, feels frosty, but low 30′ s expected and hot winds so a dangerous combination in the country. Total fire ban today for most of Victoria so another watch and be alert type of day.
    Fit we all congrigate at my daughters now. Our family is shrinking which is sad. My parents are now gone and her MIL is on her own as is my Son, so we all contribute with food and have a small family day ? I usually go down Xmas Eve, I used to stay with Dad in the years after we lost Mum, but now stay with Glenn, If Glenn is working, I do the up and back trip in the one day. Xmas Eve, I usually cook the leg of Pork, do the brandy sauce and get my slices ready…as in decodent chocolate treats ? but hay, it’s Xmas…..then I drive home late arvo and have a restful night ready for the Boxing Day cricket…..my favourite day. It’s the one day of the year I kick back and relax. I’d love to know about your large family Xmas day, it would be fabulous, but how do you seat everyone and where?
    I’m just about to shower, I’m changing Lexie to one feed a day now usually around 4:00 which means she should be eating her pellets and nibbling hay through the morning ?, and she gets double milk in the evening. I’ll be letting her into a small paddock in a day or two to learn to graze and stretch her legs, always a pleasure to see, but I lock her back up when I feed her……she’s growing up!
    PH, I do hope Brandy made it through the night, it’s awful to think her life is lost because of a tick, but at least with the help of the vet, it will be peaceful.
    Have a lovely day team whatever you choose to do, be positive and remember your PC, especially with Toblorone Fit! As I’m at the pool then gym this morning, I’m thinking of fasting today as being away makes it easier. ? xxxxxxx

Mornin’ CG! Sounds like you have a lovely time planned for Christmas and I agree about Boxing Day or St. Stephen’s day as we call it…..I get into my onesie and snuggle up on the couch watching old movies and eating leftovers and chocolate!! Our Christmas entertaining starts after we get home from 9pm Mass on Christmas Eve; my sister and I sing in the choir and it is a magical and emotional time with the church packed with people all home for the holiday. My sister, brother, other halves and any of their kids who are around as well as some neighbours come back to ours and have drinks and nibbles. They usually leave between midnight and one am. Then we sing again at the morning mass at 10.30am on Christmas day itself. Everyone in the family brings a different dish – soup, veg, dessert while OH and I do starters, turkey, ham, potatoes and maybe some veg too. We borrow an extra table and chairs from friends and we have a big open plan kitchen, dining, living room with enough space for everyone…..usually about 25. This year it will be a small gang; probably only 12. Some of those who can’t come during the day will often arrive in the evening and we have games of cards and watch comedy shows….I love it all.
    Sounds like Lexie is growing up fast and is bringing you great pleasure…enjoy these fun times watching her grow and learn xxxx

Hi all. Just to let you know Brandy is no longer suffering and has gone to Doggy Heaven, we pick her up today and take her to her resting place at a friends farm and will plant a nice tree remember her by. ??

On the 5.2 subject am doing fast day today as I have reworked my exercise schedule to include a free day on Wednesdays so have decided that I will fast Monday’s and Wednesday’s . Thursday pool is at 2.00 pm and I find it really hard to exercise on fast day at that time. Monday is OK as pool is at 8am and still have lots of energy at that time. So have a great day everyone. Am in the wrong place to read everyone’s post so will do that now.

Oh PH so sorry Brandy didn’t make it but you know for sure that she was in the care of the vet all the way & that he didn’t let her suffer. Sounds like you gave her a great life and have a lovely resting place picked out for her. Sending {{{ }}} your way for today. Sj xxxx
    Off for an early walk…talk later. Woke with the birds at 5.39am but did sleep well.
    Rnjoy the pool and the gym CG. Evening Fit your Christmas Day sounds lovely….even with just 12!

Fit, your Christmas Day sounds wonderful. Full of everything Christmas should be. I can imagine lots of laughing, singing and frivolity..???? And CG yours also sounds great. To get together with family is what it is all about.

Family history day…..We used to have very large Christmas days when we were young. Everyone went to Grandmas after Mass and we would have about 80 for Christmas lunch. Had to do it in three sittings , little ones first, then teenagers, then adults. When the teenagers finished lunch they would then go and have a game of cricket ???? in the paddock in front of the veranda . With many cheers from the adults while they ate lunch. Then all the adults would play cricket whilst all the teenagers washed up, lorded over by grandma..then everyone would be playing cricket together.
    Then after a left overs dinner Grandad would light the bonfire he had previously prepared and bring out a big cake tin of crackers. ?? Oh what fun. I miss those days. I remember the first time I took OH when we started going out together. He was trying so hard to remember everyone’s names..bless him,

Since mum has passed Our family usually get together at my brothers or OH sisters place because my daughter is the only one of my children who make it home for Christmas. We have a long Skype with the Canadians and the Tasmanians.
    However this My daughter and I are planning a picnic at the beach for my sister in law and her family, at the same beach my daughter is moving too…so we have all bases covered in case of inclement weather. Lots of fresh salads, prawns, oysters and some ham and a vegetarian log for our nephew with the cancer ( he is only eating fresh food and no meat at the moment) ?????? OH,s sister does not want to have it at home this year due to all the sadness so we are making it completely different. So we will have 9 of her family coming to stay and I am looking forward to waking up with children in the house for the first time is years. Lucky we have our great studio so heaps of accommodation. ???

CG good that Lexie is only needing one milk feed a day now. Less for you to do after the op hopefully. I do worry that you will be overdoing it,without meaning too, however I must remember that you are a very sensible adult and will be doing the right thing.

SJ. Hope that sewing coming along nicely and you get it off in time for Christmas.

UP great that there your visit to the dermatologist went so well. I was lucky that I have never liked lying In the sun. To get a tan I would lather myself up and just lie there for a while and then get under the umbrella. Hated being hot. Turned out to be a blessing..

Doggy. I’m with SueJen about the bra. I would be flopping up and down all over the place. Good for you keeping up the walking even when in pain. ??

Gyps ..gawd did amazing…wow

Enjoy your day all.

PH – I am so sorry to hear about Brandy; what a sad time for you. Take comfort from knowing she went peacefully with the best of care and that she has a lovely and fitting resting place. Your childhood Christmasses sound amazing; planned and executed with military precision!! Christmas at the beach is something I can’t get my head around at all but it will be wonderful I’m sure. Having small children around always adds to the magic. πŸ™‚
    SJ – enjoy your walk; hope your neck and back are on the mend.
    Gypsy – forgot to send my congrats to the Gawdmother; what a brilliant loss!!

Hi all, dear PH my commiserations on your loss of Brandy. It’s so hard to lose a good companion, whether two or four legged!
    I am passing the time waiting to go to hospital for the op on my right thumb. Have had a shower and washed my hair with Sapoderm soap as no perfumes allowed. No makeup either of course so am feeling rather naked! Will be in overnight only. Next time I write I’ll have my hand in plaster. Luckily I only use a finger to text on my phone. Please say a prayer for me or send positive vibes my way as my dear friend Wendy would say as I am feeling very nervous. Will post again when I can.

PH- So sorry that Brandy has passed.You gave her a wonderful life and a 2nd chance to be part of a loving family. You also gave her the best of care and have a peaceful resting place for her. {{{{HUGS}}}}}
    GYPS- pls give my congrats to the GAWDMOTHER on a fantastic loss thus far.
    FIT- Leave that TOBLER alone…. put it in a place out of temptation….make a toblerone cheescake for a special dinner. DO NOT EAT IT!!!!!
    Have a great day all……..GO GAL xxxxx

Noots – sending you the very best wishes for your op and a swift recovery. πŸ™‚
    GG – I wouldn’t know how to make a cheesecake, so by the time I’d read a recipe and work how to do it, I’d have eaten it all. I’ve put it away in a cupboard after having two triangles….hoping to ration it out like that on non FDs until it’s gone. Wish me luck!!

Hello team. PH I’m so,sorry about Brandy but you did the right thing. Ive know folks who keep thier pets alive although thier quality of life is zero. At least we can do for our beloved pets what we can’t do for our human family members. I won’t get into voluntary euthanasia as I know it’s a hot topic. Being a nurse and seeing so much suffering you’d know what my views are.
    Suejen I do lots if cross stitch, just as a hobby. I used to sew all the clothes for my daughter and myself. I occasionally make myself a pair of slacks but my interest has waned. I’ve done a lot of patchwork, quilting too but that phase is also over.
    Oh CG I too am of the eara when we used to lather ourselves with some tanning concoction and then bake in the sun for hours. Yes I was a very slender bikini wearer too. We wouldn’t even show ourselves on the beach until we had a tan. Oh the vanity of youth!
    Re the bra thing – I’m not really heavy breasted but do cover myself well if going braless. The wobbly look is not a good one!
    FD again tomorrow. I’ve got the necessary bits n bobs in the fridge for that.

Oh PH, I’m sorry Brandy lost her fight but the end was kind and painless. Having a resting place for her is fitting for a loved pet. My last “cavie” Cody, is scattered in my garden, he loved the garden as do my two young ones. Bailey is a bit past it now and just wanders down and back to Lexie with me whilst the other two run miles around the garden to get to the same gate. Your home will feel empty for quite some time and that void lasts for such a long time. Your childhood Xmas sound wonderful, what wonderful memories, not just for you but all involved. It’s a pity that it takes a special day for it to happen. We should use any excuse to be with our loved ones, any time of year.
    Fit, you are so lucky being surrounded by family all year and what a happy time it sound when you are all together. You really celebrate the spirit of Xmas being in the choir, it would be emotional. I have a catholic friend years ago I used to go to midnight mass with, very moving, they know how to put on a show ?
    SJ I do hope your neck and back are mending, you have sewing to finish, Xmas is getting so close ?
    Doggy, I watch a program on euthanasia last night, apparently it’s legal in Brussels, it does give the suffering a choice.
    Noots, best of wishes for your op, it’s maddening when it’s a late op and you hang around, hungry, thirsty! Saying a prayer for you.
    Awful wind here today, very muggy, the only blessing is no stinging sun. We are expecting a change later with thunder storms which means lightening, which means fires. We seem to be in a catch 22, we need rain, but the grass grows, the sun dries it, back to fire dangers!
    Have a lovely day team, enjoy your endeavours whatever they are. I’m playing catch up as usual, I never seem to be on top of things, but then again, I’m never bored.? xxxx

Noots..sending prayers your way..by the time you read this it will be all over..and all of your nerves settled. Hopefully being pampered during your recovery..???. Will you be able to do this afterwards ???

Thanks for all the hugs re Brandy. I’m feeling good that she is now out of pain and yes Doggy ..I’m with you regarding the suffering at end if life. Hope there is something in place soon to change the laws. Had a friend who did lots of cross stitch. It was beautiful.

FIT. Christmas at the beach will involve us taking a large fold up table and some chairs and a couple of rugs for the ground ,to a park covered in grass ,just behind the beach. Hopefully we can find some shardy trees to put the table under but we do have a gazebo for shade just in case all of the tree shade is taken. Whithin that park is a playground for the littlies to play on and we can watch them and the others having a swim from our picnic set.up. We will also take some Christmas music with us to set the mood. The food and drinks will all be packed in esky’s to keep them cold and laid out on the table when it is time to eat. My car drives right up to the back door so loading all of the food into it won’t be a problem..Us oldies will also have our layback camping chairs to have a little nap in after lunch..hopefully it will not rain but if it does then my daughters house has a great undercover outdoor area we can set.up in for lunch and then go to the beach.. Hope that paints a picture for you. I will post photos for you if you like.

CG the threat of fires is forever there for the summer. ?? The weather you are describing sounds awful. Hope the storms don’t bring the lightening..just the cooling.. ???? Bailey sounds like he has it all worked out getting older and wiser and of course the younger ones still have boundless energy. I can just picture them running around your garden.

GG like tour idea of a cheesecake but I’m with Fit,,would not know how to make one.

Fast day going well so far. Only had my green drink so far.. Looking good. ☺️☺️

Wow PH, thats fantastic, what sort of green drink are you talking about? Don’t you find some fasts easier than others? I often feel the ones we do off our own back easier and the “set” ones harder, might be the feeling of defiance! Just being a rule breaker?
    Well, Lexie scoffed down her only milk of the day, I don’t think she stopped for breath, and it was almost double herr usual lot. Then she hoed into fresh pellets ? I feel so relieved not to see her faded away when I got to her shed, I always worry at any transition they go through, but she is fine ?
    Gyps if you get to read this, say well done to gawd for me, a loss like that will give her the insentive she needs to keep going ☺️
    I have been notified about two close fires, one with three trucks attending, about 4 k away, which isn’t far in this wind, but last notice was it’s under control, whilst typing this another notice came up with one 11k away! Guess who might not get much sleep tonight? Even if the chane comes, it depends on what sort of storm we get, have a look at tonights weather for Victoria.
    I hope you are all looking after yourself and showing yourself the kindness you would to others…xxxxxx

Hi CG , wow that weather map those winds don’t look good, hope the change comes with just rain for you. keep safe my friend. Good to see Lexie adapting to change. Re my green drink. I have been having a green drink for many years as it keeps the toxins from my medication at bay and helps with the bowel movement also. It consists of spinach, kale, Apple, a little bit of frozen pineapple and mango, spirilina, wheetgrass and chocolate mint leaves from the garden. I mix this with either coconut water or plain water..coconut milk or almond milk..depending if it a fast day or not and how many calories I want. I also change the fruit and add banana sometimes. On FD I have plain cold water and no mango to reduce cals. It is nicest with coconut water. All of that goes either in my vitamix or my ninja bullet. O.h has it too. I just love it and it is good for reducing those nasty toxins.. Sometimes use ginger…anything really. Looking after ourselves..hope tonight is not a bad one for you..sending ???

And yes I do find some fasts easier than others..maybe your right about the rule breaking..keep safe

Gosh, what a lot of news on here.
    PH, sorry to hear about Brandy.

Noots, hope it went well.

CG, fingers crossed re fires. Muggy here today in Brisbane.

I have book club tomorrow so am fasting today. 5.00 and I haven’t eaten. I decided to do this after Monday’s late eating just to see how I liked it. I have an unrelated headache today so have slept a bit which helps pass the time. I am not particularly hungry, so it is good to know I can do this. I will eat a light meal later and maybe an egg if I need it.

Up you are a legend. Tow days now and not eating until late. Are you sure your headache is unrelated? Are you drinking lots of water? Would love to know how to do that. I knew a lady once who went on liquid fasts for 5 days..boy was she cranked at the end of the five days. I used to work in an office with her..

Hi All!
    Doggy – I so agree with you that we need to look at end-of-life care that is more humane. My dad had a very slow and painful end, which was so distressing for him and all his family to witness. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. It made his passing so much more harder than it needed to be and it still haunts me. Sounds like you are very gifted with a needle – it’s great to have a hobby that is also useful πŸ™‚
    CG – delighted to hear that Lexie has made the transition from two lots of milk to one and now that she is taking pellets, she will be growing even faster. Can’t imagine the worry you must go through with fires so close by. Stay safe, dear friend – I’ll be thinking of you xx
    PH – your Christmas setting will certainly be different to mine but the atmosphere and feeling will be the same!! I’d love to see photos and maybe I can send some of mine too! πŸ™‚
    UP – you are motoring through the fasts and pc days! I can’t even remember what our mini-challenge was, but I’m sure you’ve beaten the pants off me!! πŸ˜‰ Take care with the headaches, I hope you don’t get another cluster of migraines xx
    I’m fasting again today (Wed) because my french class have an outing tomorrow….french film followed by meal out in Dublin. They’re a lovely bunch of people and we’ll have a great time. Happy hump day all!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Pffft! Hi gang, I’m here but I just wrote a loooong post and lost it. sad`. But too tired to try again. Long days, productive, but tired now. Thanks to all for your supportive comments. and Fit, for the Irish recipes (Love Bacon and cabbage! is that my Irish showing?) Sorry for the loss of your Puppy PH.
    Bugga losing that post! Oh well, you all know I love youse. Going to bed now.(just remembered I AM in my 70th year! and promise myself I will book in to an oldfolks home BEFORE the next spring clean is due!) I will have good Xmas because I’ve been a good girl and Santa sees all! wish you all the same. xxx gyps

Fit, I think our challenge was basically to lose faster than each other as we were at one stage the same weight but then we both lost the plot a bit!

I am sure the headache is not fast related and also doesn’t seem to be a migraine but gone now. I am just determined to fast this week because I haven’t been fasting for a couple of weeks. Now I can relax. I ate a light meal around 8. It was only late because I waited until it was cooler to walk the dog. It really wasn’t hard.
    I will weigh in tomorrow instead of Friday and see how I go.

Poor you, Gyps – it’s a right nuisance losing a post, but you haven’t lost us!!! And we know you ‘see’ us all the time; so no worries!! Take care and enjoy whatever grub you decide to dish up!! No doubt a glass or two of your famous hooch will make everything go down smoothly!! πŸ™‚
    UP – ‘lost the plot a bit’…..I love it!!! πŸ˜‰ Now, if only losing the weight could be as easy as losing the plot!!! πŸ˜† Glad to hear your headache is gone, take care and best of luck with the weigh in xxx

P.S. – weighed in myself this morning – 65.3kg…….eeeeek!! πŸ™ Alot of work to do before Christmas!

Up early, gotta go do the fod shopping thing today, plus hair. won’t be on line again for fast day, but am fasting! until the Gawdmuther turns up for an ovewrnighter on her way to the city. then we will both break fast AND DRINK TO MY CLEAN HOOSE! and guess what? there is a God! I am down to the 85’s again! Wahooo! finally found a fekkin’ use for housework!
    Will post again tonight. stay strong! haveagoodday all.

CG, breathe! your cards are good. and just think, you’ll have an easy fast under anaesthetic! Love to you. xxx (I can see your ‘boys’ worried eyes. stop stressing, they will get your ulcers! xx

Good morning team, and of course, good evening Fit It’s s damn freezing here, can you believe it? 33 yesterday, it’s 10 now expecting a top of 17, the only saving grace is respite from the heat and fear of fires. I have so many worn once clothes, don’t need washing, but don’t want to put them away either, I really need another wardrobe! Some nights winter jammies, other nights…well next to nothing!
    Gyps I have spoken to the powers that be regarding the loss of our posts, and they don’t know why it’s happening, it’s more than frustrating I know. It is lovely to hear from you, do take it easy dear friend, your heart as always is in the right place. Just saw your post so bought mine back with “edit” to say thank you my friend, this time the nerves are a bit rattled. With my back I kept ringing to see if I had moved up on the list as my pain was unbearable, but with this, I have had no more pain! That doesn’t mean another attack isn’t going to happen at the most inopportune time, so it dose need doing ☺️ I have to be over all this for our reunion.
    Up, I don’t understand your worry at 65.3, that’s a wonderful holding weight. What a relief the headache has passed, I’m not much of a tablet taker, seems to be the last resort for me (which is silly) but I too had a headache yesterday and ended up taking a couple of paracetamol, which move it pretty quickly. Why I hang of is ridiculous.
    Happy fast day team, it should be like falling off a log to you now. We seem to have lost all our newbies, maybe the novelty wore off? That’s their decision, we KNOW 5:2 works because it’s our way of life and eating with us all having such great success.
    Sweet dreams Fit, snuggle in with the cold nights you are having, although it is hard getting out in the morning ?
    Think positive team, you are what you think, let your AUSSIE DETERMINATION work for you, WE CAN DO IT, it’s only one day so BRING IT ON! ? xxxxxxxxxxx

Mornin’ CG, Gypsy and gang!
    CG – it was me who weighed in at 65.3 – I know that’s an ok weight for my height but I like to be a bit less for some wriggle room; especially coming up to Christmas. I did a reasonably good fast today, I hope and will try not to go mad on my day out tomorrow. I thing stopping the grazing in between meals will make a big difference for me; I found it hard to do it yesterday but will persevere and try to kick the habit for good. Wow, your temperatures are nearly as low as ours!! It’s very frustrating but it’s why I wear layers that I can take on and off as the need arises and it does save on the laundry. I’m with you on not taking painkillers unless I absolutely have to, but it’s not good to suffer on unnecessarily. Try not to worry about your surgery; you have already proven that you are made of strong stuff, so all will be well. Big hugs to you (((( ))))
    Gypsy – have a great time with the GM, tell her I was asking for her. Well done on the weigh-in and the clean house…woohoo!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Viewing 50 posts - 9,351 through 9,400 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.