Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 7,551 through 7,600 (of 14,786 total)

• Welcome Cate.

Milena, you are on the list and I just checked that I did send that list to you. Hope somebody sends instructions to you. It is so long since I put those photos up that I can’t remember what I did.
    Fast day done and dusted.
    Weigh in tomorrow!

Hi All!
    Welcome Cate – you have joined the right bunch here; lovely, wise, kind, supportive and fun! If you notice the timing of my posts seem a bit odd, that’s because I live in Ireland!! I’ve been done the honour of being declared an honorary Aussie due to having lots of family living in Oz. You have made a terrific start, well done and keep up the good work.
    Milena – I think you’re right to take a break from 5:2 until you’re feeling better. Take care and get well soon.
    CG – I’m sure your granddaughter will be thrilled with her new room. I made a start on my decorating today but have to wait for multifuel stove to be fitted before I can do too much more. I’m really looking forward to getting stuck in and can’t wait to see my younger daughter’s reaction when she comes home and sees the transformation.
    YY – had a super day with my sisters and a right laugh while trying on outfits. My sister got a really beautiful dress and coat for the wedding and a lovely dress for the next day as well. I managed to stick to my fast too…so I’m very proud and pleased with myself!! I hope making your shopping list wasn’t too arduous!! 😉
    SJ – you are powering through the FDs and losses, woohoo for you!! I put back on the kilo I lost earlier in the week so have to be more disciplined….send me some aussie determination, please!!
    GG – great minds think alike – the main colour for the room I’m decorating is grey! My daughter and I went to Ikea on Tuesday and bought a coffee table, lamp, curtains and poles and a rug for the room we’re doing up. You just can’t beat it for choice and value. Your lamp shades sound fab – you must be good with your hands.
    Dawg – really hope your silver lining of illness cloud will be a kg or two loss but the main thing is to get well soon xx
    Happy Friday all! 🙂

Hi all. Morning weigh in has me up a couple of hundred grams to 64.5.

I’m fine with that because it is basically nothing and I haven’t moved around much this week with my back issue and have been feeding that cold! Same with my husband.

No other news. Raining today. I hope you all get results you are happy with.

Hi All,

Did one FD this week to see how I reacted and all was just fine so reckon the reaction I had couple of weeks ago must have been a virus. Had a couple of slip ups with almond fingers from Aldi…….have to stay outta that shop! Watched what I was putting in my mouth most other days and making sure I am having enough protein seemed to pay off ’cause I lost .600gm. Over the moon as I have now lost 5kg since starting on July 10th. 87 kg down to 82kg. Happy dancing.

Challenge coming up next weekend as I am going on a weekend away with the girls. Food & wine tasting……help……don’t want to undo the good work…….will try not to overindulge………

To all who are feeling under the weather, get well soon and many thanks again for the support of this Aussie Determination forum. It so helps. Cheers all.

Up – you’re right about slight gain – that’s nothing; you need to get your back sorted first so take it easy and get someone to spoil you if you can xx
    4sure – that’s a brilliant loss……just stay out of Aldi! Enjoy the weekend; don’t go too mad and remember a FD or two will have you back on track in no time.

Good morning team, wow upt, 64.5………i’d be over the moon AND not complaining 🙂 what is your TDEE. And do you eat up to it daily? I still struggle to get up to mine and often wonder if that’s why my fast day cals are low enough, although couldn’t eat much less than 500, that’s when 5:2 WOULD feel like a diet and lose me! I still see this as a WOL not a punishment so not quite sure what the answer is.
    4sure, good on YOU girl, exciting isn’t it when your new WOL/WOE comes together 🙂
    I’m struggling with belly ache this morning for some reason, hoping it will “pass” shortly, so having another hot coffee to ease that crampy feeling before my shower, so as yet haven’t weighed 🙁 but after 2 3/4 fast this week expecting something to encourage me!
    Will report in later team, positive and happy day to you all 🙂 xxxxxx

Morning team,Congratulations UPT… You must be feeling extremely proud of yourself!!!!!
    WELCOME TO ALL OUR NEW TEAM MEMBERS
    FIT-I wonder if we chose the same grey items? I think we could have. Just LLLLOOOVVEEE IKEA!
    I am still doin the zig zag plateau thing. At weigh in 71.5kgs. Still again I am content…..NOTE TO SELF…. make a BIG effort stay away from Aldi’s chocolate isle and their Porsecco sparkling wine.
    Hope the scales are good to others.
    Have a wonderful day………GO GALXXXXX

Morning all. Well my plans for 4:3 went out the door this morning when I woke up with a nasty headache so decided not to fast. Since then I alternate between headache & feeling sick. Nothing major but certainly not fasting territory. Hopefully it will pass & not develop into anything much.
    So I’ll record 70.9 as my weigh-in from yesterday (after my 2nd fast). So into the 70’s but not the 69’s yet. Lowest weight was 69.7 on July 10 but haven’t seen 69 again! Been wandering around the 70’s and 71’s ever since then. Never mind we have to deal with whatever the day/week/month/year brings you don’t we! Hope your bellyache has passed CG & that you had a good weigh-in.
    Have a good day all. We have sunshine & then showers today so a real mix – sounds a bit like how I feel! Talk later suejen XXXX

Hi all. Oh CG I hope you aren’t going to be on the sick list again. Do take care. Congrats to those who’ve lost weight. I’m down 500’gms. I’m still feeling crook so won’t bore you anymore with my ailments again. Isn’t it bizarre that our scientists can have people working on the outside of satellites that are in outer space but not able to find a cure for the flu?
    Enjoy your TGIF team.
    XX

Hi team, no not on the sick list Doggy, cured the belly ache with a couple of bacon rashes, an egg and a piece of grain bread toast! 🙂 so long since I’ve had a cooked brekkie and loved it. Belly pains gone, so it will all move through me today….. Unsure if I’ve lost weight or still bloody stable. I’ve zigzagged between 78.0-76.0 and this morning 76.6k (yesterday 76.0?) still not happy but going down in the right direction. The meds I’m on warn that a major side effect is weight gain, so maybe it’s a bit of Russian roulette I’m playing with them. They don’t win but neither do I. At least if that’s the case, 5:2 is holding its own 🙂 Clothes are still comfortable and still in size 14 so no complaint there, but would love to drop another 4-5 by Xmas. I haven’t had any real loss this year! So maybe the effects of 5:2 are short term, then stabilise?? The body just gets used to our regular intake (TDEE) so doesn’t fluctuate much hence the zigzag between 2-4k? Just a thought! I agree with you Doggy with the lack of cures for the flu, I used to say the same for the common cold, it’s better to let it turn to pneumonia as they can cure that!
    Suejen you seem to be in the same boat with the zigzags! You’re a better weight than me to be stuck on, but isn’t it frustrating. I did the 3 days but to no good with results. I have read that 5:2 gives the same results as 4:3 but WHY if the cal intake for the week is lower? Mystery!
    GG, your still at a good weight and look fabulous with the right attitude 🙂 we are all still healthier and more conscious of what we put in out mouth so we have all learnt so much from 5:2 and the wonderful way of eating it offers 🙂 It has given us all a mental shake up to BE in control of the food we eat and it’s working for us all.
    Happy Friday team look forward to whatever you have planned for your weekend. Relax a bit and have those few treats, you deserve them 🙂 xxxxxxx

Good morning all. It’s rather warm here today but raining and more storms for later and tomorrow but it can’t dampen my mood today. Got on the scales this morning and I’ve finally dipped into the 56’s (only by 100gr but I’ll take it!!!!). Happy dance, happy dance. Been chasing this particular dragon for a lot of weeks where it dips tantalisingly close but no cigar. BUT this morning 🙂 Was too busy to eat all day yesterday, just had a couple of coffees and lots of soda water with lemon slice and dinner was BE steamed fish and veg. Had an apple about 8:00pm and a cup of tea (with milk) to get me through the night but think I was on track to get down this week anyway.
    Doggie the flu can be the pits, bore away if it helps. SJ you sound like me, wandering around at the bottom end of a number. Came to the conclusion that maybe our body needs to come to terms with that weight before daring to move on. What do you think? Up you’ve managed well seeing your movement was restricted (not to mention the Persian cake shop!) and CG hope your tum settles down for you. Great attitude GG and you and Fit enjoy your decorating in uber popular grey. Classy. Sounds like you and your sister did have a lot of fun Fit :-). To all the newbies, hang in there.
    TTYS YY xx

Hi everyone. Had my 2nd fast day yesterday & regained the kilo I lost on Monday! eek! Hopefully, it will be gone again soon. I must admit it was disheartening. It may be because my soup was too fiery & I retained fluid, but I will certainly persevere. I’m playing golf tomorrow & hope to burn some fat. This feels like a really good community to be a part of. Cheers, Cate

Hi All!
    So sorry to hear that several of our lovely team are not feeling so good at the moment…..perhaps it’s the approaching changeover in the seasons. Hang on in there everyone; drink plenty fluids (not alcohol)…well maybe for medicinal purposes only! 😉 I recommend an Irish coffee!!
    CG – glad you found the cure for your tummy ache…a bit unusual but it worked! I think you are doing very well on the steady weight loss considering the amount of meds you have had to take for the last few months.
    GG – the sofa I got was not from Ikea but the other items were, so perhaps we have picked the same things….good taste!! The paint colour is a lovely warm greenish/grey and I’m going to do a feature wallpaper on the chimney breast with some zingy bright colours that I can pick up in cushions to relieve all the grey. Can’t wait to see the results 🙂 Maybe we can allow ourselves a little treat when all the work is done. Xx
    SJ – sorry to hear you’re not well but you are only a whisker away from your lowest weight, so be kind to yourself and remember this is a marathon, not a sprint and you will get there very soon. Weather here is the same as yours but probably alot cooler, we’ll be lucky to hit 13 degrees today.
    Dawg – congrats on your loss, well done!
    YY – well done on getting into the 56’s – brilliant! Yes, I had a wonderful day out with my sisters and I really appreciate time to do things like that since I retired. Life is good, I’m healthy and blessed in so many ways and it’s good to enjoy the simple things in life. We’re still going through a big family crisis, so I’m really concentrating on ‘smelling the roses’ when I get the chance.
    Cate – I have done the exact same thing this week. I lose a kg, put it back on and have lost it again this morning after a really good FD yesterday. So stick with this wol and you will get there; there are always ups and downs but the overall trend will be downwards if you keep to the plan.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone! Xxxxxx

Hi, just a quick post to answer CG.

My TDEE is 1685. I just had to recalculate it because I am afraid that I have always completely ignored it. That is just more bother than I want to go to. I think that some days I eat less and some days I go over. I have no idea but maybe I will do a snapshot of my food for a week or so and work out what I do actually do, out of interest.
    I guess that whatever I am doing is working so I haven’t worried.

I will not start today, however, as my daughter and I are going to a macaron cooking class this morning! Just a tad worried about how many we will eat/ bring home!
    We tried making them ages ago and they tasted fabulous. They just looked a little “rustic” 😉

I will let you know about my TDEE after I have tracked it for a while. I eat really well as a rule but I don’t measure my wine. That will be an eye opener because a standard glass is way smaller than what I pour!

Have a good weekend all.

You’re right Fittoretire. I’ll stick to it but may have to weigh myself less often. Lost the kg again today, so have lost a kg 1st week. Not too shabby. I feel MUCH lighter. Playing golf today & it’s very cold & very windy. Brrr!

Hi Up

I have the same problem, never could work out how to get more than three glasses of wine out of a bottle. Though must confess that now I fill the glass with ice, and I get 6 or 8 glasses – either way thought I find it too easy to finish the bottle! Only solution I have is to go dry for a month or six weeks at a time? (would put a sad face here if I knew how to do it!!!)

I find using a TDEE two stone under my current weight works, at TDEE 1383 its pitiful – and I’m such a masochist I use sedentary – but I do lose weight when I stick to it rigorously – and a quarter of it on fast days. Hard part I find is sticking to such a low calorie rate, but if I ever get to 10 stone that is maintenance TDEE, so I might as well get used to it, hopefully before going under that weight. I am destined to eat only a little for the rest of my life (sad face again) if I REALLY want to look the way I want to look!

But I am destined to go from size 20 to size 10 or 12 jeans, have a flat stomach, wear a leather pencil skirt (for me THE Aussion Determination badge of success!)and live a long and healthy life. Just with less wine and chocolate!

Morning team, not long up so lateish post for me and good to see some action already. Macaroons are yummy upt, and only egg whites so very low cal. I made quite a few when first starting 5:2 thinking I couldn’t do without something with my coffee to nibble, but as usual, just turned out to be habit 🙂 enjoy the precious time with your daughter and no doubt a few laughs.
    Milena, I checked the same thing for TDEE, as to my goal weight rather than actual, and it is still higher than my intake. My original loss, pre 5:2 was counting cals and I did that at 1200 and have pretty much stuck with that all the way, I know it’s low, and takes real effort, but again has become habit and my meal size is quite small and I’m never hungry. But really think it’s too low for the 500 cal fast to work anymore as that is only just around half instead of the needed quarter. (Which I couldn’t do…..)
    Originally they talked about weeks end cal intake and the 1000 or so less cals due to the fasts. If my intake over all is lower, why is the weight still not dropping?
    I don’t really think it’s the drugs I’m still on as my year has been pretty stable, bit of zigzag, down at fast up on NFD just a frustrating time when no benefits are happing.
    Cate, hope you dress warm for golf and don’t end up like our poor Doggy with flu!
    So my dilemma is ongoing, do I up my TDEE to make my fast count, and bring my total overall intake up, or just keep going as is? Time for thinking caps team, a lot of us are in the same boat and have stopped loosing, is it because we tend to stick to similar menus and not mix them up? I hope simcoluv is reading the as he seems to have all the answers! I am getting exercise from walking my farm and physio, not working up a sweat but never have, I’m active in a slow way 🙂 but never ever lazy so what’s the answer? I am happy with the weight I am, my shape, my agility level for my age but would love to drop another 4-5k (I was in the mid 50’s in my 20’s but that’s far too low for me now) so I’m not expecting the impossible!
    Wet and windy today, very cold, so a good inside day, thinking of a good tidy up in my linen press, I adore nice linen, but gee the cupboard gets messy when not well enough to be tidy, just chuck it in and slide the door shut, we’ve all done it, so enjoy your day team no matter what you plan, this day wont come back so make it count 🙂 xxxx

Morning Team….. We are all being busy it seems ….golf , tiding the linen press and making macaroons.
    FIT – do you think we have been inspired by “FIFTY SHADES OF GREY” LOL… your decor sounds great!
    MILENA- love the idea that the “pencil leather skirt ” is our “badge of success” I have to admit it does look sooooo good!
    Wishing speedy recovery for those that are not well… rest and snuggle up if you can…. Hugs to all.
    If you cannot find enough wine in one bottle open another! Hardy’s have litre bottles of the sav blanc.LOL
    Have a fabulous day……….GO GALXXXXXXXX

Morning all. Seem to be generally recovered from my bug or whatever of yesterday, just have a bit of the headache still around & not much energy. But seeing it’s the weekend it doesn’t matter. Very wet weekend after our lovely spring weather so no gardening today. Might pop my head into a book and disappear! Dawg must go down the street today & ask about that new Kate Morton book…..I keep forgetting. Probably a footy match to watch too.
    Milena I too LOVE the idea of the pencil leather skirt being out badge of success! Yes great idea!! GG don’t you have one already – seem to remember a pic way back of you, or was it CG?
    CG not sure what the answer is to your pondering. A few of us do need to get a grip on our weight loss & get it moving. Many of us, including you, have had major things happen that have interrupted our losses but that’s life really. I do feel that possibly the fast days are not enough of a “shock” to your system if you’re always keeping the cals that low. 5:2 is not meant to be an ongoing everyday diet. However I’m also wondering if I’m starting to make excuses for myself and am simply not admitting that I’m eating/drinking way too much on my NFD’s. And that’s what is causing the zigzags? I do of course lose on FD’s but then I put it on again. Thinking back I have always done that but FD’s always seemed to drop me down a little further.

So….we know that 5:2 works…..so what are we doing differently? Anyone have any answers? Those who are still having losses maybe you can throw in your two bob’s worth? I also wonder if because a lot of us have stopped losing whether we’ve become too accepting/complacent of that and we need to be tougher on ourselves and perhaps each other??? I don’t mean telling each other off! but not allowing excuses to get in the way of our weight loss. Sorry for the rambles but just trying like CG to find a solution. Any maybe after all that it IS just winter and we’ll start dropping once the salads etc kick in. Have we become complacent with a 10/15/20kg loss and need to gear up again for the next 5/10 or whatever?

Anyway thoughts/advice from everyone are welcome to the debate. That’s it for now but may the discussion continue! suejen XXXX

Suejen, I think the biggest thing to change with me is not drinking enough water DAILY, it’s been so cold this winter and not the choice of drinks. I know teas and coffees add to the fluid intake, but that doesn’t add up to 2 litres 🙂 golly, I never though I’d be longing for summer, but for the change of diet, the extra fluid intake, the warmer weather does make it easier to remember 🙂 it’s bitterly cold today, body aching for some reason, so given the laundry and linen press chores the flick, too cold out there, so a movie and being cosy on the couch with the boys today. Even a few Jack’s and zero 🙂 …….I have been down to the paddock and checked poor Timmy, he’s fine,he hoed
    into the pellets with his mates so all’s good for him 🙂 plus I’ve had a walk (in the rain)
    I’m not going to worry about this plateau, I’m healthy, 23k lower in weight than last year,like you say suejen, I have been through a pretty traumatic time with health, so will show true AUSSIE DETERMINATION and move on with a positive attitude as usual, IT WILL HAPPEN…..I know ) and above all, none of us have gained our losses back so what a bonus 🙂 xxxxxxx

I would agree with that one CG and I know that when I started 5:2 that was the biggest change for me…to drink more water. And like you I truly drop the ball in that department over winter. And of course not gaining over winter is a HUGE plus for me, this would be the first winter that I can remember that that’s happened. So yes CG we move on with a positive attitude. And if your body can stay stable with all it’s gone through, 5:2 and all that you’ve learned has served you well! Thanks for your usual positive note CG!! Enjoy that couch, your dogs & your Jack & zeros. XXX

I’m approaching 5:2 with the feeling, but not necessarily any real knowledge or experience, after only week, that it’s the contrast in the intake of calories that does the trick. I may be WAY off, but I have tried calorie restriction & it has not worked for me. For months I have kept below 1400 cals per day, without any loss of weight.
    Had a great day at golf & felt so much better for being 2kg lighter than I was 2 weeks ago. I have arthritis, I’m 62 & have only been playing 3 years, but I love it, & yes, I was well & truly rugged up- thermals etc. If you live in Tas You dress accordingly.
    Feeling really good! Love this community already xoC

Cate glad you had a good day, wish my back would allow me to play golf, your very lucky at 62 to be getting out there 🙂 Sticking with your TDEE on NFD’s is a key between fasting 🙂 but as mentioned above drinking water is a must. I know as suejen said, we all kept up with it but have slacked off over winter and no real losses recorded, BUT no gains either, so again, proving what a wonderful easy way of eating/life 🙂 and so easy to maintain. We have all had the big pig outs, or holidays etc but to no detriment some great week ends too but on Monday back to fasting. Enjoy what’s left of Saturday 🙂 xxxxxx

Hi. Thought I would hop on here and give you my thoughts about 5/2 and me although you have probably all heard them before!

But first…I’m afraid I wasn’t making those coconut type macaroons CG! These were definitely not low cal! They were the french macaron colourful creations filled with either chocolate ganaches or butter cream! I was going to upload a pic but can’t remember the name of the app I used before. CG, you told me about it. I don’t think it was Tumblr but something similar.

Anyway, back to 5/2 and how I think it has worked for me.

I think the bottom line is that it causes total calories over the week to be reduced. Not so much a magic spell as boring old eating less. However, there is more to it than that. With me, the fasting days did seem to reduce my appetite early on so that I am eating smaller portions every day. And the big kicker, I can stick to it precisely because it is only twice a week and not the big killjoy that being “on a diet” is.

So, I plodded along losing half a kilo virtually every week that wasn’t Xmas, Easter, or a beach holiday. Then I went overseas to live in the U.S. for a few months, as you all know, and things became a little more complicated. That was when I decided to up the ante on NF days by reducing carbs and limiting alcohol to social occasions while continuing 5/2. This allowed me to eat relatively sensibly but socialise and try new things, eat at restaurants etc and continue to lose weight.

Now I am back, within a few kilos of my goal weight and hovering around the same weight pretty much. The thing is, with me, I think know why. I have continued to be low carb generally, but not as vigilantly. I have socialised a lot! My husband is tired and under pressure so he wants a wine when he gets home and I seem to have had the strength of willpower of a glass of water and have been enjoying my evening wines with him. My daughter constantly leads us astray! She went down the street for a coffee and came back the other day with sour dough and bacon. Another day it will be yummy cheeses. We have had a few birthdays etc. Then there is the excuse of illness etc and persian bakeries and now macarons.

I have become a bit complacent basically because I look pretty good! I am completely committed to this way of life and I will gradually continue to lose doing what I am doing, but, it will take a lot longer at this rate unless I can get my “normal eating ” to be actually normal. It is fine to have the occasional dessert, the occasional biscuit or slice of cake and the occasional drinks.

I know everybody’s upbringing was different but way back when I was young, normal eating was pretty much meat and 3 veg in my house, with a sandwich for lunch and something on toast for breakfast. Morning tea was fruit. We had biscuits if we had visitors. Ice creams and flavoured milk were a treat. We got lemonade only if we were ill and vomiting!
    We didn’t have access to gourmet cheeses and it was unheard of for people to drink daily unless they were alcoholics. We can afford so much more these days. We eat out, we can acceptably drink whenever we want and every second day at our workplaces seems to be a morning tea for somebody! Even our coffees are now loaded up.

So for me, my problem is being more vigilant about my normal eating. I certainly still eat smaller portions and healthy food. It is the extras that are slowing me down. Having said that, it will still work if I want to be patient. I am hoping, like all of us, that summer will reduce the appetite and the kinds of foods I want to eat. I need a bit more of that Aussie determination!!!

I must say that I have been back doing the occasional day at work at my old school and the feedback has been great! When people say you look amazing, it certainly makes you feel good. I am so grateful to 5/2 and this forum. It made it all so doable and I have probably added years to my life. And they will be fun ones!
    xxx

Upt, great post again, the macarons sound just so yum and decadent 🙂 I seem to be doing the same as you, my appetite is so much smaller these day and like you, pretty much the same as on fasting days. My alcohol intake is close to zero these days too. I haven’t had wine in close to 12 months, and used to have quite a few, but have lost the taste for it and have the occasional whiskey and zero coke. My water intake is not what it should be but with summer on the way will pick up I’m sure. Even though the scales don’t show any major drops of late they are not showing any major gains either which is the benefit of 5:2. I was 74k in May this year, down from 99.5k last year, so just so extremely happy with this way of life/eating and stick to it religiously but have stalled. My social life is close to none other than cuppas with friends and a biscuit, but that I calculate into my day and alter the planned dinner! So, will just keep moving with AUSSIE DETERMINATION and the positive attitude that THIS DOES WORK! We are all different, our body will control its needs and we can’t be guided on the loss of others 🙂 Our frames, our ages, our physical abilities all contribute to the outcome, with me it’s now drugs for pain going against me but a battle I feel I’m winning (I’ve read of others putting on 10-15k) so I’m very pleased. So….it’s just a matter of keeping the faith, we all come out ahead… 🙂 xxxxxxxx

Upt, sorry I didn’t answer your question, no, it wasn’t me regarding the pics, I used to email mine to FB and she posted them….if you wait for Gypsie to return, she will help you and suejen posted pics too.. 🙂 xxxxx

As a p.s. You know, with re reading my own post, I have had a pretty traumatic time over the past few months and have ONLY put on 2K which is absolutely nothing compared to my losses 🙂 it does pay to write things down doesn’t it, it really isn’t as bad as I was thinking 🙂 and with the spring/summer coming, more losses will happen, I’m sure 🙂 so really it’s a plateau I’m stuck on and will move undoubtedly with warmer weather calling me outside. Woohooo, feeling positive again 🙂 !!!! Xxxxxxxx

Hi All!
    Great discussion going on here about the stalling many of us are experiencing in this wol. I agree that drinking plenty fluids is a key factor and complacency does play its part too. I certainly have been less vigilant about calorie content and going over TDEE or the 500 on FDs. It’s very easy to say ‘Oh, it’s only over by 50 or 100′ but all those small amounts probably add up and prevent 5:2 from working as efficiently as it should. I also feel that there is a weight that suits our bodies and age and is the one we find we maintain without much effort – we zig zag around it but never stray too far. So it then becomes more of a chore or effort to go below this. I think we are all looking and feeling much better, our shapes have changed, our appetites are less, our clothes feel much more comfortable and we can enjoy treats without going mad! All in all; we are rockin’ this wol 🙂
    Cate – so glad you enjoyed your golf; it’s a great way to keep active and away from food!
    GG – don’t know about 50 shades……but hoping the pain of decorating doesn’t outweigh the pleasure of finishing 😉 !! I have been painting the ceiling and I ache all over today 🙁 Still, the upside is I was away from the kitchen and temptation for hours!
    SJ and Milena – I think we should all get a leather pencil skirt for the grand reunion…wouldn’t that be fun if we all showed up wearing one!
    Up – I know the macarons you are talking about, the French are mad about them. I find them very sweet and sugary so don’t usually but them. I’m afraid my downfall is always chocolate! I agree with you about the way we ate as children…we certainly did very little snacking between meals. Sweets were rare treats and never fizzy drinks except on Christmas day.
    CG – you are such a positive influence on this thread and it’s a privilege to be sharing this journey with you xxx

Good morning team, Fit, thankyou for your compliment, I feel privileged to have you on our team. Your insight and contributions are so appreciated:) and you post almost daily which is a bonus to us all.
    Beautiful morning here, sun shining and the birds are busy fossicking in the garden, busy with there own lives all chatting to each other 🙂 just enjoying life, unsure of the prediction for today but enjoying the view at the moment.
    Planning day team for yet another fast tomorrow funny how only two days a week seem to rotate so quickly, but are oh so important to us all. Don’t let the plan ruin today and the fun and relaxation you have planned. Each day should be lived to the fullest and enjoyed with relish 🙂 Weather is so influential on our moods and outlooks, so I hope our sickies are seeing the bright glow in the blue skies and feeling uplifted 🙂
    Gyps, thinking of you and your leprechaun and hoping things are going well for you both 🙂 we take so much for granted until it’s taken away.
    Well, feeling positive and ready for getting stuck into reorganising my linen press (again) so hope the mood lasts, knowing how rewarded I’ll feel if it’s accomplished.
    Have a top day team, make the most of your Sunday,enjoy your pursuits and I hope your feeling happy and satisfied at days end 🙂 xxxxxxxx

Hi team. I didn’t get round to posting yesterday. Not busy just lethargic. Unfortunately I’m still crook. I’ve been giving some though to how to try and prevent colds and flu in the future. The main culprits I come up with are ATMs and ETPOS machines. I am fastidious about hygiene and hand washing etc. but when one is drawing cash or paying for groceries etc we all have to touch the B screen. So I’ve decided to carry hand sanitiser in my handbag or pocket and use it immediately after using one of those screens.
    Some interesting discussions re adjusting our TDEE. I too seem to be doing the zig zag. I’ve fluctuated between 76.5 & 77 kilos for many months. Once I’m over this bug I’ll get stuck into the 5:2 again.
    As a matter of interest I don’t think fasting makes us more prone to picking up viruses etc. I, going to continue with our WOE for the foreseeable future. I’m still hoping to get new bathers for the summer and have a swim in the sea that I live so close to.
    XX Doggy

Another Fast day is around the corner…. Will be going shopping for the week after this post.
    The mantra of our 4 “P’S” is so important in this WOL.
    DOGGY- keep up your strength to fight off this bug.I have to agree with you,I don’t think fasting does attribute to viruses I feel it can only help your immune system become stronger.
    Hand hygiene is so important. I have always carried hand sanitiser in the handbag.I go through bottles of it.
    I have never been one to allow TEDEE to rule in this WOL or WOE. I never totally reach it so for the past 11 mths have just been making choices….. its worked to lose 11kgs in this time. 2 dress sizes is a plus. The change in our body shape is another benefit. Remember what we do not see on the outside is certinally allowing for change on the inside.The zig zag is there…. as are those bloody plateaues that we are constantly trying to stop.Do we ever know “What is our TRUE WEIGHT”? each loss no matter how small helps.
    Make your Sunday a happy relaxing one……..GO GAL xxxxx

Totally agree GG and the fact we don’t gain or head back to where we came from is our winning edge 🙂 Happy shopping my friend. I think counting our TDEE daily does make our lifestyle more of a diet, but maybe checking just for a few days or a week, puts us more in tune of what our actual intake is 🙂 and if not counting or checking is working for you,don’t change a thing 🙂
    Your right Doggy, so many unwashed hands around to spread so many viruses seems so unfair! Our personal hygiene doesn’t always win the fight, but I’m sure it helps. You’ve had a long haul with this flu, so it will leave you weak for some time, so take care with healthy foods, and flush it out with lots of water 🙂 which I’m sure you do, and don’t rush recovery if possible, the body will mend itself 🙂
    Enjoy your day team, we don’t know what tomorrow birings, yesterday has gone and today is a gift, that’s why we call it the present 🙂 xxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, newbie here on my first fast day with no problems so far. It’s probably somewhere within the 7500 posts on this thread, but I’d love if you could all list specifically what you eat on fast days, just for inspiration. The jarrah hot choc drink I’ve noticed in a few posts, this is good calorie-wise? Lotus’ Chicken & Almond sounds yum, where should I look for that recipe? Many thanks, and I’m so happy to have found this supportive bunch of fasters!!

Hi CD- a fast day for me consists of coffee (absolute must! 1st thing in the morning)fluids such as water, jarra hot chocolate, throughout the day I have black tea/coffee / green tea, hard boiled egg with rocket salad, miso soup up until dinner which is then oven baked salmon, lamb chop (2) with the fat removed Try to have some protein as this will keep you fuller for longer. As you become more aware of your food choices you will find there are fast days when you will have fluids only. All this will come in time , as many of us have been experimenting with options that suit us individually.
    You will find great recipes in THE AUSSIE DTERMINATION RECIPE THREAD.
    You may have read in my earlier post above that I have never followed my TEDEE . in my begining of 5:2 I did, however, found that it was like a diet, NOT a WOL or WOE that I wanted.
    I found it easy to lose weight during the summer months, as most of the team will agree, too many winter warming comforts during this season.
    Hope you continue to enjoy this wonderful WOL and the benefits of better health.
    The team is always there to support and encourage you in your journey.WELCOME!!…GO GAL

Hi Team late posting today. When I came home from church the Eagles match was already half over so straight into watching that. Not that it brought me much joy this week!
    Some interesting discussion been happening on 5:2 plateaus TDEE’s losing/not losing etc. Sometimes I count my TDEE and other times I’d prefer not to, as like GG I don’t want to do just another of the million and one diets that I’ve tried and given up on (well not quite that many!). But I do find that I need to count from time to time to bring me back to earth with my choices – to make me realise how high in calories I sometimes go, without being aware of it. Calorie amnesia they call it. I get that very easily! I do slip back into bad choices….little….by….little!!
    CD my FD consists of a HB egg for both brekky & lunch, & a chicken/beef/pork/fish stirfry or casserole or similar always with lots of vegies. In between to keep me going I have herbal teas, one coffee with milk & a Vegemite drink (1tsp Veg in hot water…keeps me going until dinnertime – seems to keep me full longer than a tea). Then if calories allow a Jarrah hot choc before bedtime…don’t always manage this depending on what I cooked for dinner. I use a lot of recipes from here http://www.52recipes.co.uk/ if you’re into recipes. Otherwise as GG says from our own recipe thread. My favourite dinner is this one as it’s dead simple and fills me up every time: http://www.52recipes.co.uk/2013/02/20/sausage-casserole/ a bit like a dahl but with sausages/chipolatas. Yummy!
    Well I’m still mulling things over as to plateaus but I haven’t quite come to any firm conclusions yet. We do all have to do it our own way, but at the same time I think we can & should learn from each other, even if it’s only tips and tricks. I would agree with UT that as I’ve lost over 10 kilos & happier with my body shape etc I have become complacent. But after looking at my holiday photos I certainly need to lose more around the middle. My goal at the beginning (apart from losing weight) was to at last feel comfortable in my own skin….and I’m NOT THERE YET. So I’m going to examine everything I do in an effort to try and get my losses happening again & head towards my goal. Get some of that fire back into my belly again when it’s new and exciting and you’re dead keen. Don’t get me wrong I have absolute belief in 5:2. I think it’s just me & my habits/choices that needs examining not our WOL. It’s a winner.
    Have a great day all & apologies if I’ve drifted back into monologues! suejen XXXX

Hi All!
    Welcome, CD and congrats on choosing this way of life (wol). Some people prefer to eat two or three times a day and some prefer just once…..as long as it’s 500 cals or less, then you’re ok. If you are unsure about calorie counting, apps like My Fitness Pal can be a great way to keep track until you get the hang of it. I used to like to have porridge in the morning, lots of fluids all day e.g. black coffe (one), green teas and plain water. Then in the evening I would have a stir fry, or fish/chicken with lots and lots of veg but no potato. Lately, I have tried just having one meal in the middle of the day and that is working well too. It’s good to change things up a bit and stop yourself from getting bored. I think we have all found that reducing carbs is a good idea too as they are full of calories but don’t keep you full for long. Protein is important for doing that. The Hairy Bikers have some great low calorie dishes especially if you’re feeding a family and don’t want to be cooking different dishes for everyone…I love their spanish chicken bake.
    CG – so glad that all is well in your world and hope you get the linen closet sorted, there is great satisfaction in a job well done!
    Dawg – so sorry to hear you are still not well. I think that is a feature of recent bugs, they seem to hang on longer and are difficult to shift. Please mind yourself and eat lots of colourful fruit and veg to keep you strong and healthy.
    GG – hope your home improvements are going well. I have finished the painting of the ceiling and begun on the walls. My new stove will be fitted tomorrow…so it’s all taking shape and keeping my mind off eating, which is an added bonus.
    SJ – I’m with you on needing to count or keep track from time to time, it’s very easy to go over without realizing; often it’s the small innocent things that mount up e.g. an apple, a few nuts, a yoghurt etc….all healthy but still need to be added to the calculations for the day. I think you look wonderful and I hope you soon feel happy in your own skin, because you have come a long way and deserve to celebrate that success. As we all say, this is a wol and we are in it for the long haul.
    Hi to Gypsy, Milena, UP, Lotus and all the gang xxxxx
    Have a great week everyone and happy 5:2ing!! 🙂

Hi team, CD you have been given good advise and I would like to add my two pennies worth. Buy THE BOOK, it explains so much, and secondly, work out your TDEE in the How it works section at the top of the page. If you have the basic idea the rest falls into place. You don’t need to buy extras in, just use what’s in the pantry or fridge 🙂 we all learnt to weigh and measure our foods in the beginning so we didn’t go over our allotted cals for the day (your TDEE) 🙂 you do get used to it after time and don’t need to, and guess work takes over. We have all had great success with 5:2 and sure you will too. I rarely eat breakfast on ANY day, and rarely get hungry till around 1.00-200, training or habit? Unsure but do have a milky coffee to start my day. 🙂 The support and encouragement here at AUSSIE DETERMINATION will inspire and help you and is a must for continued hints, discussions (not always food related) and laughs at times. There are heaps of sites with ” meals at 200-300-400-500 cals” online for suggestions, but salads, soups and stir frys are terrific stand bys 🙂 for fast days as is steamed fish with steamed veggies.
    As mentioned a hard boiled egg helps the arvo hungers on fast days as protein is filling and lasts, but fluids are too, even flavoured teas…..so good luck, ask all the questions you want…we are here for each other 🙂
    By the way team, spent the day in the garden, bit of tidy up, sweeping paths, mulch black birds like to spread around grrrrr, but felt productive for it, watered the green houses which I love, so the laundry is put off for ANOTHER day! 🙂 xxxxx best laid plans aye! Xxxx

Good morning team, last day of winter, dew on the ground and the sun is shining, and up early these mornings 🙂 so the days are getting longer ready for you to enjoy. Spring tomorrow along with all the fun of hayfever so if you suffer from it, start on your meds now to save yourself the misery 🙂
    Well, fast day again, are we all reved up?? Ready to start again, pretend we are beginners again and be more diligent with weights and measures of our foods including choices 🙂 WE CAN DO IT can’t we? Plans and preps all done for today, come on, it’s easy, you’ve done it before, you’ve gotten through it, you know how proud of yourself you feel when it’s over 🙂 …..are we ready…..okay, bring it on 🙂 xxxxx

Morning CG! I’m just about to head off to bed! It’s so strange to see you write about Spring when I’m in the middle of Autumn. There is a definite shortening in the days now but at least the temperatures have not dropped too much. I’m all ready for my FD tomorrow, but hope I can stick to it while doing all my painting etc. Lovin’ your positivity, as usual, and will be very proud when I’m out the other side and registering a loss at my next weigh-in. Bring it on!!

Morning Team where ARE you all? Maybe like me it’s headed back to winter where you live & you’re not so chirpy! My job am and pm looking after kids on/off school buses isn’t so much fun in this weather. We have no bus shelter so we use big umbrellas on days like today & I have a BIG fluoro coat. But looking after kids with umbrellas, holding a clipboard to tick them on/off, and a walkie talkie is not easy I tell you!! Now I’ve come home & put all the umbrellas up to dry in our porch, spread out my coat & the sheets that got all wet. Aaand…I’m warming up with my cup of coffee. Sure need it. I’ve asked & asked the boss for a bus shelter – he’s a lovely guy but he’s a country cowboy really, it’s all just too hard for him. But I shall persist!!!

Well been thinking about what I need to do to get the weight loss moving again. So I’ll start with these things: record everything I eat on MFP for this week (without exception); leave a cup of water on the bench to remind me to up my water intake (not a water bottle girl!); for the 2 fasts this week I’ll miss lunch & go as long as I can till I have my 2nd HB egg which will extend my fasting time (or miss it altogether if I can); ensure I do exercise every day – and today that will be inside with a DVD. That’s it folks….as you can see I’m determined to get back to my losing days.
    Have a planned prepared persistent fast day all – and someone remind me what’s the 4th P?? And yes CG I WILL go to bed happy & proud of myself. OOH I know……..I’m also going to throw out the pack of licorice logs that I bought on Saturday. Sat was OK had just one, but yesterday I had 2 so that’s the end of them – I can’t have them in the house. Some things just aren’t worth challenging yourself with! suejen XXXX
    Fit you’re so right…….Bring it on!!

Thanks for those three P’s SueJen, it is a fast day for me today and I am right for those three, hope I have the fourth one too!

I have porridge cooking on the stove (maybe that is the fourth P!)

Saying farewell today to the coldest winter in 26 years. Hoping that when it is warm enough to wear lighter clothes, I can discover they fit me better!

Welcome Cinque good for you. and now I remember the 4th P (no not porridge!) it’s Persevere. So Plan, prepare, persist and persevere (when things aren’t going your way!). Hope you have a great fast day. suejen XX

I am having one of those cannot get warm days!. Even doing pilates did not warm me up.
    The 4P’s are planning, preparation,persistence and patience. does this help CINQUE?
    They are so easy to use in almost any given situation. A fishing guide used this when teaching me how to catch my 17kg , 101cm barramundie a few years ago. Thought it a perfect mantra for 5:2, so far its worked for me and others.
    I feel I need more than a large mug of the Jarra to warm me up …. must be soup time.
    I say bring it on….. the warmer weather that is…….GO GAL xxx

Whoops apologies GG changed your last P to persevere! Well much the same I guess. Yes so so cold here today too GG and miserably wet. Lots of herbal teas coming on. But we’re going to make it….I KNOW we are!!! XXXX

Totally agree team, I did my pool walking early this morning which was a lovely sunny morning, but I am freezing! Just can’t warm up. Heater is going back on, might look nice out there but needs a lot more power from the sun! Having a tea now, had coffee earlier, WAS expecting to have a tuna salad for lunch later, but that’s been changed, getting some veg soup out of the freezer, that should warm the ol’ cockles of the heart! Fish for dinner and steamed veg. Funny how a bit of sun lifts the spirit and we automatically think SALADS! Well not today, I’ve had my wake up call!!! Hang in there team, could be a long day if we’re feeling the cold, so lots of hot drinks sounds about right 🙂 BRING IT ON, WE CAN DO IT! 🙂 xxxxxxxx

By the way, the tea I’m drinking is Twinings Cranberry and Pomegranate, so well worth the 2 cals, really full of flavour….worth a try team 🙂 xxx

Good to know, Thanks! Patience and Persistence are a good team
    Just glad it wasn’t pomposity, pettiness, preaching and porridge!

Just had a hot bath so that warmed me nicely. Now I am heading over to the OpShop as I love finding little treasures of good design, beautiful material etc. I wonder if I will find one today. It is more fun doing this when I am losing weight!

Plus the sun is out!

So how are you all going team??? Hang in there, not long till dinner, I have only just eaten and that was my hard boiled egg with a LaZupaa soup, very cheap on cal, so will have dinner around 6:30 to night and finish with a Jarrah hot choc, all good and ALL below 500 cals……that’s the plan now anyway 🙂 xxxxxx share what your day has included as well as what dinner will be, just to give our new members ideas 🙂 xxxx

Well I managed to get to 4.30pm before I ate my 2nd HB egg. Pretty good for me. About to start on dinner & looking forward to it. Have drunk lots more water and just finished off a Lesley Sansone mile walk video (only 15 mins but may do another one later). So all in all…..not a bad start to my plan. Oh and have logged everything on MFP. About to look at logging for tomorrow too so I don’t do my usual carefree go over my TDEE by a mile – who knows, but I reckon that some days I certainly do! suejen xxx
    It’s soooo cold here it’s not funny so thank goodness I have enough left for a hot choc after dinner. I will sure need it! Maybe we notice it more cos we had 4 lovely sunny days in a row.

Hi All!
    Welcome, Cinque…do you have a french connection? Best of luck with this way of life (wol). I, too, am a great lover of porridge, especially when the weather is cold. It fills you up and lasts for ages so you don’t feel hungry for hours. I’m sure your clothes will feel better by summer; don’t forget to use a tape measure to check your losses, as the changes often show up there when the scales aren’t moving.
    SJ – you are doing brilliantly with your plan of action…..keep up the good work and you will see results in no time. Not such a bad day here but I’m sticking indoors to my DIY; I have the second coat of paint done on the walls, so all I have to do now is the radiator and door frame…yippee. The stove will be fitted today and the new curtain rails will go up; so it’s full steam ahead 🙂
    CG – hope the pool walking helped with your aches and pains. You have FD down to a fine art! I’ve just had a coffee and lots of water so far today and it’s 1pm now. I will have small fillet steak with lots of veg later on about 6 or 7pm and plenty fluids including green tea to keep me hydrated.
    GG – those 4 p’s are definitely a recipe for success in all walks of life….must try to remember them for other situation too. Hope you managed to get warm; I sure know what that feels like and I’m not looking forward to another long winter like last year 🙁
    Have a great week everyone! We can do this! Our new mantra is…..BRING IT ON!! 😆

Viewing 50 posts - 7,551 through 7,600 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.