Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,601 through 6,650 (of 14,786 total)

• Hi Team where are you? CG you OK? sj XX

Gee I think I started another page…almost all by myself!

Hi team, suejen, I’m here 🙂 plodding along. Pretty busy time for some reason, heaps of phone calls etc. had a care plan organised yesterday as well as home care mainly for when Chris goes home. Gee I find it hard relying on others! I keep giving myself a lecture on the need and reminding myself I’d done it for others for many years but, well, I’m a better nurse than patient 🙂 mmmm Each day is another goal reached, more movement, still have the “fear” that “stab” will happen so I keep bracing…and it doesn’t happen, I’m pain free 🙂 The numbness is disipating, blood seems to be flowing in the leg a lot better, strange sensation, tingles etc but weight bearing so much better with confidence, I feel my knee will buckle so tentative when walking but really, with what I’ve been through, I’m fantastic. The actual op was a Micro Discectomy (look it up and post op care) then you’ll understand my frustration and relief all in one go.
    I’m doing the lurking this time, and hating it, I’m too hands on and like being involved but getting that few minutes of catch up seems impossible for some reason, but once on my own, will start ruling the roost again 🙂
    My 5:2 isn’t getting much of a look in and I’m eating so well. Chris did one of my freezers out the other day, (haven’t been able with lack of mobility and bending issues) shocked at the amount of stewed fruit I had,( remember ALL my summer fruit) so brekkie is now a bowl of fruit, mixed seeds, pumpkin seeds etc. and a small dash of cream (fat) just so yum, light yet filling through to lunch…which again is a meal! Eating healthy small meals but constant! My water works and plumbing are back to normal and lost 1.5k of the gain surprisingly so quite happy, bit frightened to weight…even stand on the scales safely, but glad when I did 🙂
    Now, lecture time.our 5:2 IS working for us all, if it was a constant loss we’d be anorexic! We are going through another diet change with choices due to the weather and lack of exercise or even outdoor activity. You are still on a winner, numbers on that little box in the bathroom mean nothing! Your over health,feeling, clothes fitting and basic outlook is the key. A couple of K’s difference between Winter and Summer is very acceptable and with the issues life keeps adding in for good measure, you are all doing so well! Think how boring smooth sailing would be 🙂
    So, chin up team, use the bloody mindedness, kick that AUSSIE DETERMINATION in the butt and get it moving with positive vibes 🙂
    Love to you all… CG xxxxx

Oooh, nice and positive post CG, AND you lost the 1.5 kilo gain too!!
    I am feeling the wellness effect of eating well too, and not missing reduced carbs as much as I feared.
    I am fasting today, and was feeling the same as you had written, so what if the scales don’t move this week or even the next, I have done so well till now, I am not going get side-tracked and fall into old traps of helplessness and blaming others/circumstances for what’s going into my mouth.
    Bought a pretty red lippy too, as a pep-talk gift 🙂 Revlon have this red for each skin-tone thing ( with different celebs spruiking each shade, I picked J Lo as the Latina skin tone is kind of close to mine, but for the lighter tones there is Blake Lively etc). Also planning to get the darker maroon one ( another celeb, can’t remember the name). the lippy is as nice and intense as a MAC and less than half the price. Good excuse to buy two? 😉

Well done Lotus, self satisfaction and reward is necessary for our well being. Also being too restrictive and hard on ourselves sets us up to fail. 🙂 I’m not countings cals but very aware of portion sizes and this is getting me through at the moment. As fat (and carbs) are not being taken into account, I’m totally satisfied and never hungry, and absolutely no picking is needed, so snacking is a thing of the past because my small meals carry me over. Fasting will begin in a few weeks but no hurry till my mind set gets back into it and my healing is at an end 🙂 I’m pretty much eating as we did “back in the day” pre low fat/carb etc and totally unstressed or pressured by it. I’m so grateful to Chris’s kindness, and being a good patients as best I can 🙂 I’m lovin’ the laughes we have over days gone by …things we got up to, just reminiscing:)
    Have a great day team, please be kind to yourself, tomorrow is always there, you will get through your issues no matter how mind controlling they are, you have done it in the past and will again. I wish you all happiness xxxxxx

I have a scheduled weighing in (weekly thing that pops up on the calorie counter app)- have been avoiding it and will do it tomorrow. Famous last words for every procrastinator he he

Hi all, it is very quiet on here, I agree! I have only 3 addresses added to the list.

CG, so pleased for you. Take the opportunity to veg out! Read, binge watch tv series or something!
    Did you see my earlier message with an email address?

Hi Upt, I did see the post, great idea, but agree, we don’t want to take away from our thread. You are more than welcome to give my email to any of our team if they ask you. Forget if I need to do something.
    Doing as suggested, bludging, resting, TV, ipad games, scrabble with Chris (when time allows) she is keeping up with so much for me (worried I should be paying her.)
    🙂 🙂 but she’s lovin’ stepping into my life style, all novilty…the boys have her wrapped around their paws so are enjoying having her here too
    Heading off to local, Dr. tomorrow, Just to touch base with him (another slin cancer needs cutting out but doubt he’ll do it in fear of infection, so will see) but other than that, under house arrest and quite enjoying it 🙂
    Enjoy your precious day team 🙂 xxxxxx

Hi fellow ADs. I had a super busy day yesterday And didn’t get round to logging in. I thought that once I was retired is have all day to sit around and do nothing but stuff that pleased me. Wrong! Iv just speed read all your posts to try and catch up. We had a great walk this morning before breakfast. It took about an hour all out in the fresh air and beautiful scenery. I felt so good after it. Weather lovely now but cold front on the way. Hopefully some rain too.
    Not much to report from here. My FD on Tuesday was uneventful. It really does get easier as time goes by. Yes Suejen I’m with you. I enjoy a glass or two of wine before dinner and do not want to have to forgo that. I too am prepared for a slower weight loss.
    CG I hope your recuperation is going well. Anyone a tennis fan? I really love to watch it on TV especially Wimbledon but because of our time difference have to record it and watch later. By then I know the result. I hope that Aussie Nick Kyrios gets his act together. We don’t need another tennis brat who doesn’t know how to behave.
    XX Dawg

Hi Doggie, yes a tennis brat is the last thing we need in fact, I have lost interest because of them. Cricket back on soon, so will hold off on sport till then. Glad your sounding better, a walk does clear the cobwebs, hanging for my first pain free walk,…oh so many plans/mountains to climb…it WILL happen, all in good time. Dawg, weather is a factor in our moods, and letting numbers control our lives is a big
    mistake. We should be counting our blessing, remembering how far we have come knowing how much better off we are, and enjoying every day as a new adventure.
    Enjoy whatever the rest of your day brings, positive thoughts control the mood…lemons/lemonade! 🙂 xxxxxxx

Morning all we’ve all been quite busy obviously & some still are. CG so good to hear you’re doing fine & as you know nurses make the worst patients, so just hold off on your desire to run everything just yet & enjoy. You will miss your friend when she’s gone so make the most of it – sounds like a great job being done with cleaning freezers etc. A true friend!
    Totally agree that we all need the positive vibes at present. I so blew yesterday, not FD but haven’t even bothered to add to my TDEE (did have it all nicely worked out) as I blew it out of the water. Would be frightening to see it. Sometimes that’s good for a wake-me-up session but not right now when most of us are battling along. But at least I’ve got to the place where I don’t let it bother me & just swing into the next day positively. I mean who needs that so unnecessary guilt?! We’re all doing the best we can on the days when everything works for us..and on the others well……we actually don’t blow it as bad as we used to, and when we look back often most of the day was good so we’re still winners/improving/learning as we go.
    Dawg your walk sounds lovely. The sun was shining here earlier this morning but it’s gone now, however still planning a long walk with OH. I tried on Saturday but had to turn around & come back as it was the worst day with my UTI & wasn’t feeling flash at all. Was disappointed but should be up for one by now.
    Lotus sounds like you’ve got the positive attitude thing sorted. And love the idea of a new lippy too. I got a $100 note bonus(don’t see one of them very often!) in my payslip yesterday so might just splash on a new red lippy. Great boost for winter blues too.
    Yes CG we should count our blessings & know we’ve come a long way. suejen XXXX
    PS CG we had 2 young girls in our cul-de-sac selling lemonade at a little stand the other day! Not sure why as we have so few people up our street just locals, but they were having fun. Don’t see that very often. X

Morning, CG. You’re doing Great, mate. And don’t worry, I’ve said all I’m going to on the doom, gloom precaution side, other than it’s a fine line between overdoing it for the sake of fast independence and under exercising through caution and that feeling of ‘expectant fragility’. You know you need to have fairly frequent changes of position (gentle extension and flexion) to prevent the healing tissue strands building too thick in any one direction (thus scar tissue adhesions that can limit flexibility later) and walking episodes that slowly get longer are your best bet. Keep good posture when walking or sitting especially in these early days and you can’t go far wrong. The challenge will come when you feel frisky and bored with ‘sensible limitations’. But we’ll have to keep you busy rescing us.

Thy’ve had enough of my gap fillers for a bit. We are all in a winter slump and the thread wasn’t the same without your Salvos across our bows (or motivators to the stern). Plus all the common sense focus you drum into us.

SJ, lotus thanks for hanging in there, not sure what yesterday’s page discussions were, my phone access won’t scroll back. I may be off line for a bit, the sun’s out, am of on my rounds again, taking the leprechaun for a jaunt . He needs distracting. The decision making MRI is set for the end of this month. Despite positive health signs it’s nerve wracking waiting for official confirmation that he’s at least not progressing into liver failure. (and yes, I am matron Hell tohim, too! No one’s dead until they stop breathing on my shift!) Cheers all, gyps (lotus, definitely buy two lippies)

By the way is anyone else not getting their emails through? Just wondered if it’s the site or my email as have had some gmail problems? Haven’t had any notifications since about Monday. sj

Sue Jen, I am getting emails but things are quiet.

CG, if you want me to add you to the list then you need to email me! I personally don’t expect to be emailing and maybe those of you who have already met up have exchanged addresses in Melbourne or something. It is more for the future meet up or those who want to discuss off topic things they have in common, not necessarily to be used, just available! Anyway, if I don’t get any more in the next few days, I will just send out the few I have.

No 5/2 news, just keeping on, all pretty much down pat now.

Hi again, I may be away a little longer than I thought as just got enlisted in hijinks further afield.

So this weekend is one of my biker club’s annual charity camp runs. We’ll be travelling up the coast to Port Douglas and back via the Atherton/Malanda tablelands. About a thousand K’s with meandering forays into communities along the way. Lot’s of fun. We cater for other campers via a support, catering van and give bike rides to anyone willing to donate a gold coin to spinabifida kid’s wheelchair fund .We’re all about giving mobility to the less fortunate. Sooner or later we all lose it, but I will put up with much discomfort for the bonus of such company as long as possible. Rain, hail or shine, they show up and just do it! (think I posted a verse or two on that sometime back).

I must admit I wasn’t going to go this year, haring around the hills in freezing winter rain, to slush around in mud and put up tents is paling a bit with advancing arthritis! (Still okay in the summer when a bit of breeze in the hair is welcome and cooling off in the rain is lovely)

But as luck would have it, they need a couple of drivers for the support vehicle and I have a school minibus endorsement. So I’m off! The other driver is my riding mate (74) and probably the hardiest long range Harley veteran in these parts. (and the best cook) We are being given the venerable old chook treatment, since driving gives us the ‘luxury tour’ (except it comes with catering duties) so she just phoned to inform me. We are both laughing at this fallacy. Hah! . it’s a whole lot higher to climb in and out of the truck and more physical on four slipping tyres, a stiff steering and constant gear changes up those ranges, than it is to chuck a leg over a Harley and glide! We’ll be packing up, unpacking cooking on camp ovens and washing dishes for days!, but we’ll have a dry ride and a few laughs. Plus, we’ve decided to book park units along the way. Let ‘the kids’ wallow in their tents…. knowing full well its still raining up north, there’s an out of season cyclone brewing off shore(apparently) and half the mob will end up on our floor anyway. That’s my exercise for the week. Have seen the 83’s aagain this week, so the blues are over, I’m on a roll! best to all. Gyps

Oh Gypsy such great news, great fun ahead for you, I’m sure apart from cooking there may be the slight elbow bent as reward 🙂 Gyps, thank you for the advise, you know, I came home with absolutely so info, care plan or physio exercises (other than pulling in the navel to strengthen core muscles) so I’m walking the house, 5-10 minutes at a time, venture outside to my flattest path for a wonder, change from hospital chair (straight back) to the couch to lie when I get weary and other than that don’t know how else to help myself, as well as prevent more happenings as you explained. My leg is burning now, (inner calf from knee to ankle) feels like a striped nerve, tender to the touch, but taking it as normal. I have quite a few questions for my GP tomorrow, just to put my mind at rest. A little bit of knowledge………you know! So thank you again for your input, I really appreciate your experience and concern. at least the thigh numbness which was the original problem is gone….I should get you email from Upt, not really interesting to the thread, sorry team 🙂 please forgive me xxx

Hi CG, I’m sorry to hear about your leg pain, are you able to take a pain killer? Gypsy , I hope you are feeling better 🙂

Gypsy, if you want to send me your email, I think I will have most of the regulars.

CG, don’t worry, we don’t mind the off topic stuff on here. We all like to know how you are going!

I know about numbness, just had a biopsy and I have a numb thumb!

Hi Taco, I’ve given in and taking Panadine Forte, only twice a day but it takes the edge off, but my back is pain free still, so this business in the leg is a mystery to me. Just part of the process I take it, but wiggling my foot back and forward/up and down whilst sitting feels better, don’t know if I’m doing the right thing but it helps. Also walking gently getting things moving helps too.
    Lovely to hear from you, and yes Gyps, please give Upt your address, we will only use it for personal stuff team, not general 5:2 info 🙂
    Happy evening all, stay positive, chicken snags and veg for dinner here…all very 5;2 (he he he) then stewed fruit and cream xxxxxxxx

Good evening team! Had a humongously busy time at work ( yes I sometimes
    do work hah)
    And just caught up on all the posts – which are not many. I bought the other lippy – very pretty red – more pink /Maroon red than orange red, so suits anyone with yellow undertones (olive tones)… The only thing, we need to wear a concealer or foundation underneath if we don’t want a tinted lip on makeup removal …

FD uneventful so far and stayed just under 500 cals, so distracting myself with silly lippy topic 🙂

CG I googled the operation you had and it said the leg pain should subside right away, but nerve pain ( burning pain is pressed nerve?) seems something you can investigate… Poor you… It sounds truly painful and ugly!
    UpT – hope the biopsy results turn out ok for you…

Evening Team….. I have not had a chance to catchup on the posts. I am in Sydney caring for my Dad who is on his journey.
    I may not be able to post as often as I would like……I do however wish all of you continued success and happiness.love and hugs……GO GALxxxxxxx

Oh no! I just lost a loooooong post 🙁 I don’t think my phone likes me posting on 5 2 ! CG, if I were you I would take a lot more panadine than just twice a day. Hopefully your doctor can sort the burning sensation out! It could be caused by the way you are walking now, specially considering that it feels better if you wriggle your foot. Lotus, red lippy sounds great! I have a new one, a crayon type 🙂 I will have a skinny day tomorrow 🙂 and I will post my results this Friday. I hope everyone is nice and warm , it’s freezing outside 🙁 my dogs are reluctant to go outside to pee 🙂

GG , thank you ; will be thinking of you and your dad. Take care xxx

GG – my thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope your dad’s journey is peaceful. It’s so good that you can be with him. Lots of hugs and love to you.
    CG – hope you are completely pain free soon, take care.

Up- I hope everything goes well with the biopsy, Gypsy, enjoy your tour and I hope that you are feeling better 🙂

ok, so I’m home again for just a day before I take off again and have checked back and finally got the ghist of your email plan UP (I was wondering how I was supposed to send u mine???). I see you’ve posted yours for us to use as a relay.

Mmm, Happy to send you mine, but MUST STRESS that I have already peed off half my family and many friends with my inconsistent attention to phones and emails. I think I already explained the reasons why in a previous post to GG. I like the thread as it is and agree that ‘off topics’ are part of it’s attraction. I am not up on checking or writing emails on phones or other than my own computer, so it’s not a guaranteed method of contact (unless initiated by me!). Since I retired from being on call to 24/7 to humanity, I don’t hold with being automatically available to the communication monster, just because ‘we have the technology’! It’s so peaceful to only let the world into my scrub on my terms. I don’t watch the news, forget to charge my phone and generally only get bills or spam on my email, because everyone else has given up. I check it if I’m expecting a bill.

So since it’s pot luck for anybody using it there’s no real point in secrecy, (I am more likely to be checking in here than there). My current email is

gypsybell3@bigpond.com

(Be aware that I scrap it and get another one when I get overrun by spam. Why does it never comply with the ‘unsubscribe’ option???)

U might like to tell me on here that you’ve sent one if anyone does. I agree it will be handy to have contact between us off thread if we get to planning reunion details. But don’t lets all go off thread and exclude each other from being part of THE ONE! It’s kitchen table variety that keeps us close and learning new angles of collective aims from each other. we are family. Let us share what that implies. Even the boring bits. xxx gyps

Meanwhile, CG, re the ‘burning sensation’ in your calf. As long as you want to pick my brain, I can offer my opinion (based on work, plus personal spinal surgery experience). It can only be nerve related (that can be distant) and is probably due to post op swelling/pressure in the spinal complex that was involved, since the lumbar region ganglions (think relay station) services the lower limbs. (Unless you had a spinal block I don’t see leg numbness as an anaesthetic hangover, maybe positional nerve pressure swelling, but that’s sloppy and doesn’t gel for a neuro bod, they are fanatical about such ).

Try not to worry, It should subside as it is not displaced bone depressing soft tissue,(a post op xray generally verifies that, unless the surgeon is confident it’s not required) So it’s only soft tissue swelling from local trauma (surgery cuts and scrapes) which as you know, peaks a few days after the initial trauma and providing no infection occurs, subsides with healing (I give it a 3 week range for significant improvement, but escalating pain should be investigated much sooner). A guage of progress/or opposite, is whether or not burning is constant or changes on movement/ position, indicating that certain movements irritate the nerve root, and that can become chronic, if it prevents swelling from subsiding. There is sometimes an indication for drug intervention (nerve desensitizers, like gabapentin, and anti-inflammatories, like cortisone) in spinal op recovery, but that’s a neuro surgeon’s call, not a GP (and never this early in recovery, it’s a watch and wait until primary healing is achieved, unless drastically contra-indicated ie infection/loss of sensation/ paralysis etc). Don’t be afraid to contact your surgeon if you are worried and not getting the reassurance you need locally.

Otherwise, use pain relief as an aid to relaxing and getting adequate sleep. Just be aware that constipation comes with the codeine component of endone and constipation is a back injury’s worst enemy. Picture rocks pressing against sore spinal nerves in a confined space, and that can definitely be subject to position. Keep up fluids and whatever aperient it takes to keep things Flowwwing! Without straining.

As to exercise and ADL strategies, it’s a bloody disgrace how little education is given to patients these days and private patients get much less than public. at least in QLD. One would expect to have a physio or occupational therapist give you strategies for sitting, bending etc. In particular, how to get up from a reclining position. In case they didn’t, never, ever attempt to ‘just sit up’. You may never again be able to do that (and probably haven’t been able to for some years?) You need to roll onto your side (at the edge of the bed) and push up with your elbow, while letting your feet down to the floor. It should be in one fluid movement and shouldn’t hurt. There should be no weight taken by your back muscles at all. So don’t attempt exercise that involves raising your legs from a supine position, or abdo situps. Bend with your knees, and avoid twisting.

Having said all that, building up your abdo muscles is a must to keep your back supported/ balanced, rather than dragged forward by a sagging gut. even if one is fat(or especially if one is fat) the abdo muscles need to, and can, support it’s share of the weight, plus pull the back into alignment. I have specific exercises for that epic achievement. I’ll see if I can dig up a training chart for you. Pulling your navel inwards is a good start. You should work up to 3 sets of 10.

Meanwhile, my friend, get some sleep, eat your fresh food and vitamins and think positive. I’ll be back from the trek by next Monday and I’ll check in when I can. good nite all. cheers, gyps

Hi Gyps, thank you for your advise, again. I do roll of course, common sense and training but agree at the lack of advise given. Even by the physio. Restless tonight, just got up to take my panadine forte, and they do help relax things a bit. My walking is great, Chris said she can’t get over how straight I am now compared to when she arrived prior to my op. She said even the lack of pain is showing on my face. Agree it’s nerves,possibly from moving during surgery and now getting back into place. The surgical team said the numbness was from swelling but YOU have given me a three week window not to worry, such a great help.Right in the beginning I was told no lifting bending or twisting and I’m abiding by the those instructions but was getting worried re these newer onsets. I get the feeling sometimes “ants” are running up my leg internally so take it the nerves are getting their act together 🙂 It stands to reason the swelling is pressing on nerves and will subside, and you have given me confidence not to worry and accept the outcome 🙂 Again, thank you
    Oh, and I promise, now with your email, I will not be looking for a private consultation 🙂 as all you say is of interest to the whole team and possible future problems they may have. Well back to bed, good night all , sweet dreams xxxxxx

Upt, be interesting to see what is causing you problem, good luck with the outcome.
    Lotus, love the new lippy idea. to take your mind off your fast. I have so many, I could start my own store! 🙂 Thank you too for your continued research 🙂 even on my op! All’s good with me, just so thrilled to be pain free, anything else is surmountable 🙂 but I like to know “the in’s and out’s of a ducks bum” so question Why and What and How especially if it’s not expected 🙂

Fit, so lovely to hear from you, please be looking after you. You ARE precious and unique all troubles DO pass, but at different time spans, you are stronger than you think and will come out the other side…..my money is on you 🙂 xxxx
    Happy dreams all xxxxx

Morning all (very early morning, 2:20am :-)). Up to my old tricks. Wednesday is always a very full day and I was too tired to write but a few hours sleep and here I am you lucky people!! Even though some were commenting that things on the thread were slow on the previous page, still quite a bit of a read. Agree with Gyps Lotus, buy at least two lippies. Wish I could wear red still but at my age, a red gash doesn’t appeal 🙂
    CG good to hear you may be a bit down but not out. Interesting to hear what the leg thing is all about. Hard to believe it was only mere days ago that you were having surgery and here you are!!!
    Up sent you my email address directly to the gmail address given. Link on previous page didn’t work. Let me know if the email didn’t work as well. Good idea to have an email register but I do like this forum. Dawg good to hear you are able to do some walking, know what you mean about the retirement thing too. SJ, Milena, Lotus my OH just has what someone described (think it was Lotus) has a blind spot when it comes to housework too. In his defence when he had a rostered day recently on one of my FD’s, he insisted on vacuuming because it might have been too much for me seeing I was fasting. Bless him!
    Fit, thinking about you and glad your OH is looking out for you. Gyps enjoy hearing of your exploits, have fun. YY xx

Morning YY! You are really early riser 🙂
    GG – prayers for a peaceful journey for your dad and for easing of the pain for you and your family…
    CG, Gypsy – I love that we get free health education on this thread 🙂 you are all amazing, positive healers.
    Happy travels Gypsy.
    Fit – I hope whatever choices you have to make, make the process of change and acceptance easier for you and yours.
    To all – happy Fast Day ( or Skinny Day! I love that Taco!!)
    Weighed in this morning – no change, so still at 72.7 kilos, I was hoping a shift this week but, whatever… Not complaining as in a much better place than even 6 months back.

Morning all. Gad,CG, I went to bed dreaming of post op complications and now my olditis is worrying about all the ‘automatic’ checkpoints I didn’t mention! And it’s not really my advice you should go by, above all, listen to your body and your own intuition. I know it’s a nurse’s curse to have worst scenarios in our brain and it can get pretty murky when we self diagnose. Likewise when one does it from a distance without a visual and foregoes the ‘automatic’ checks to exclude classic post op obs! So, like you keep us on the straight and narrow with 5:2. basics, in the interest of my credibility and your safety. let us do the obvious checks (to an RN) and leave the rest to your Doc. So, get you friend to inspect the leg (at least the bits that hurt or you can’t see).

SIGNS/COLOUR/ GENERAL APPEARANCE? THE LEG IN QUESTION/ ONLY ONE LEG? OR BOTH? if only one: Is it the same as the other one or is there any localized red areas? any scratches or skin damage? red lines indicating inflammation/ infection/cellulitis? (it can happen as a separate issue if one has down immunity and an open skin tear) (mm, bottom of the barrel stuff, but… in the interest of being thorough… ) So- think DVT’/ clot: did they make you wear the white compression stockings post op? are you taking blood thinners now? is the leg paler or bluish toes?/ think circulation. Obvious puffiness? denting from digital pressure/ fluid retention?

TOUCH: is the leg warm? any hot spots? cold spots? Sore spots?

OVER-ALL: are you a good colour? no flushes, fevers or breathing anomalies (think PE/ pulmonary or fat embolism? and don’t panic, sister, we are just being pros here! You’re fine. I just don’t want the world to think they can take an old witch’s ravings as gospel without knowing the ‘automatic’ stuff is being taken for granted between nurses, (and I shouldn’t have!)

SYMPTOMS: Movement/ can you wiggle your toes/ feel stimuli? (use a biro or something to establish) Sensation: pins and needles/ numbness. partial, getting better or progressing? pain, what sort? throbbing? aching? (indicates circulation/infection) electric shock type? burning? prolonged? intermittent? Usually nerve path involvement (if none of the other sings of infection or swelling are present to indicate local pressure) .

And finally. TPR/ BP : Are your stats normal? No temp = no systemic infection
    Pulses? include specific obs of leg pulses: carotid/ groin. Popliteal/ behind the knee. Medial ankle. Anterior, distal foot/ (You Do know the drill)

So having settled your mind or alerted yourself to any of the drastic possibilities, please take my final advice and report your findings to your doc today. Know that he has more overall knowledge than us and just be comforted that you also know enough to double check him if anything doesn’t satisfy your own peace of mind. Second opinions are our stock in trade, Sister. Remember, ‘the squeaky hinge gets the oil’! Love to you. xxx gyps

Ps. Now can I get back to being an anonymous old fart?
    so sorry for you heartache GG. My love to you. xxx

I’ll be back girls, take care of yourselves and the boss. xxx

PS; CG, just got a clicking noise in my head re your comment on “ants crawling up you leg inside”, that’s a specific nerve related symptom of interest (though pretty bottom of the barrel, too). Was it you who posted some time ago about having the shingles virus? Stress can bring it out or cause a relapse. Worry makes it worse. if all else befuddles, google it for specifics. Main one being nerve path sites as in ‘on one half of body or limb in bands’ usually head, neck, chest, groin , but I have seen it at knee level, and it has that crawling sensation and super sensitive skin. Presents as small blisters along nerve path. Anti virals are helpful if given early enough. Now you know why they used to call me ‘the bulldozer’. No stone unturned! I rest my stethoscope.

So back on topic, I am on a FD, and now have the temptation of being the camp cook’s off sider, which means I have opted to stay home and pre-cook stuff for the troops in the next two days, instead of going a few hundred K’s south to the Townsville clubhouse headquarters to cook and pack the van. The rally route has to pass my place so it makes more sense to be collected. So my banana tree has a bunch just ripe, tempting me, as I gather ingredients for a bucket of fresh fruit salad, and there’s pea soup bubbling away by the gallon. It just occurred to me that I am unconsciously planning to feed the mob on 5:2 lines! They’ll be howling for bacon eggs and sausages on the barby and I’m wondering how they’d react to cauliflower rice patties and more cauliflower pasta to go with the spag sauce! Haw! I’d probably get lynched!

Ah, well, another body of souls to be edjicated….. rest assured all, I may be remiss in individual responses to you all lately, but I value you as a team and I so use your collective knowledge on my journey. Have you created a monster? Blessings to all and may your hearts find comfort in each other’s support. Mmm, smells so good around here. Belly grumbling is good, right? I can do it! god help those unhealthy bikers, I’m on it! xxx

Hello team. CG I’m sorry about your leg pain. I know exactly what you mean about the ants crawling up your leg sensation. When I was having chronic back pain issues I used to experience the same thing. Good news is it has disappeared. Occasionally I get the odd parathesia tingle but just ignore it. Matron Gypsy has covered all the bases. I’m of the opinion that it’s nerve related and will dissapear as time passes.
    Lotus enjoy the lippy. It’s nice to treat ourselves to clothes, makeup, perfume etc. I have a nice bright burnt orange winter top that I’m trying to match some lippy with. I must take it with me when I’m shopping.
    Cold front over the past 24 hours was all noise and hardly a drop of rain. Bummer.
    FD here too. I’m on the last of my homemade Miso soups. I’ll have to cook up another batch.
    We’ve got our daughter plus two grandkids arriving from Melboure on Monday. They will be with us till Saturday. I’m not going to fast while they are here. I’ll start again the following week. I doubt if it will do much damage.
    Enjoy the rest of the day team.

Morning all how is everyone. CG hope that pain is disappearing. Interesting to hear what your GP says – think you said you were checking in with him?
    Dawg enjoy the lovely time with your grandies & don’t worry about 5:2. It’s happy to wait for you!
    Gyps boy you sure are cooking up a storm, but agree that cauli patties or pasta would get you lynched methinks! Better stick tot he tried & tested favourites…maybe with some healthy tweaks.
    GG thinking of you and your Dad {{{}}}
    Well managed to do a 2 1/2 hour walk yesterday with OH but stupidly went into the supermarket afterwards & thought I’ve done all that exercise so ….I could buy a treat. So…I bought a 2-pack of Coles choc croissants & ate one but……then ate the other one on the way home. What an idiot!! I mean they’re Coles & they weren’t even very nice let alone healthy! Haven’t done something like that for a long time so I guess that’s the upside of the dumb decision. I even KNEW that it wasn’t going to be very nice & didn’t dare look at the nutrition label!!

Well onto another FD and doing good so far. Determined to finish up under 500 today as I’ve been creeping up & doing 520 or so & justifying it because of winter/cold. I just need to plan it better & stay ahead of the game. enjoy your day suejen XXXX

Hi all, I have a few more addresses now, so will probably send the list out tomorrow in case anyone else wants to send me one today. We probably have everyone on it now, but I will wait just in case. It is not urgent to get it out as we are all thinking the same way. We don’t want little private side groups to muck this up but I really don’t think that will happen, and I am writing that here just to reiterate that. 🙂
    Also, when I receive each email I am replying with a quick acknowledgement so that you know I received it. Sorry the link didn’t work, Yum, but I have your email. Thanks.
    Gypsy you are now added, but I won’t send you an email 😉

My biopsy results were fine, thanks for your concern. It is because I had a melanoma last year, that I have to have frequent regular checkups and I have the kind of skin that always has weird things pop up, grow bigger etc. I have had all the usual things chopped out many times but the melanoma was the big one and I was diagnosed only a few weeks after my 44 year old cousin was buried from the same thing. Anyway, mine was found early and as a result the chances of it spreading are very small so I try not to think about it unless it is checkup time or I discover something myself. I ran off in a flap to a dermatologist while we were away in the U.S but it was fine. I put it off for a little while because I didn’t want the hassle of trying to deal with the U.S. system etc but was becoming anxious and didn’t want to spoil the trip worrying.

Anyway, I must say, it was only because I was having annual skin checks prior to my melanoma that it was discovered early. I was worried about a spot that was nothing and she found the melanoma that I hadn’t even noticed so let me get on my soap box momentarily and remind everyone to go for regular checkups!

So yesterday, I had 2 biopsies but was only concerned about one which turned out to be benign. I am so grateful that I only had them at 4.00pm yesterday but had the all clear texted to me first thing this morning. If it had been another melanoma then it would also have signalled that my original one had spread so would have been a double whammy.

Anyway, as a result, I allowed myself to break my own “no drinking unless it is a social occasion” rule last night and had a couple of wines which I thoroughly enjoyed! My stoic husband was tempted to join me but held out in the end.

CG, good luck with the pain and GG, I hope all goes as smoothly as possible. Best to everyone who is struggling today.

So fasting again today. It is funny how when you have had a break from fasting, as I did over those last few weeks, that it seems harder to get back into it when you start again. Monday wasn’t that easy and today is going to require a dose of extra will power. Ho hum.

But it will be worth it guys! So we are all going to do it.! I will weigh in tomorrow and post results.

Hi UP!…. did you receive mine…… So pleased that results were AOK……GO GAL

Hi team, back on anti inflammatory meds as well as a stronger pain killer (as well as panadine forte if needed) My Dr had the exact same op a few years back himself so related well with my symptons and assured me it’s all normal. It is nerves doing their job, but big lecture on how important my recovery is and I must take it easy and take care. So decided to learn to become a lady of leisure, not to be hard on myself, if the bed doesn’t get made, it will NOT appear on the evening news! So one sleepless night behind me after a few with broken sleeps, tongight I intend trying the Endo just before bed and should get a good night.
    Gyps, your a treasure, don’t worry about me, your knowledge is immeasurable and very appreciated, thank you 🙂
    I reply to others later 🙂 lunch on the table xxxxx

GG, no, I don’t have yours! How could I not notice that. Sorry!

For anyone else who didn’t see the original email address, here ’tis

uptightoutasight0@gmail.com

Up – you deserved the wine , I am glad for your good news:)!Suejen, I know the exact feeling , and when I do that sort of mindless munching , I call them wasted calories! I’m struggling with today’s skinny day maybe because I am at home and have not had enough fluids – I have had one cup of tea. I think I’ll copy lotus and I’ll look at my new red lippy 🙂

Hi CG, I am so glad that all is ok 🙂 and I am glad that you will be taking the pain killers. Lol! Headlines- breaking news tonight ‘CG left bed unmade!’ That was funny 🙂 I know you are sore tired and busy – please no need to respond to my post 🙂 keep looking after yourself , don’t overdo things just because you may start feeling better in a week or so 🙂

Hi all, been gone a while, very busy with the new job… it’s 90 minutes each way by car then 2 trains then a 15 minute walk. Love the walking, not something I normally do much of.

Seems like I’m not the only one perhaps a little too partial to a vino at the end of a day… trying to kick it on fast days but sometimes it just doesn’t work out 😉 Wonder if there’s a grape variety that is especially low-cal. Maybe the dry whites.

Fast day today, had naught but psyllium husk for breakfast, not even my usual apple as I feel I’m not making much progress… salad for lunch and still feeling fine. Maybe some miso soup for dinner, that should keep the cals pretty low.

Why does a guy ask “are we fasting today” when he knows y’all are? Probably hoping you’ll say no and give him an excuse not to do it. OR looking for encouragement to push on. Let’s assume it’s the latter. Guys and gals do ask questions in different ways and for different reasons. On that note here’s a really enjoyable and enlightening video kinda on that subject…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWiBRL-bxiA

Gawd Mike, the Video was just too funny 🙂
    and too true

Very good , Mike!

I didn’t realise my husband and I were such stereotypes until I read Men Are From Mars and Women are from Venus!

One of the first things I ever said about his office was about it needing pictures, but then I paint!

Strangely enough, after my wines last night and and something to help me sleep because I was so anxious waiting for my results, I slept in this morning. When I eventually woke up, my husband had gone to work and a saucepan full of boiled eggs was in the sink! So there you go!

Actually he is a professor and fairly obsessed with his work. I think his “nothing box” is very tiny! I think he relies on me to keep track of less earth shattering details such as fasting days and I have to admit that being away, we sometimes had to switch things around. So, I shouldn’t malign him too much, and only ever in jest anyway!

The things we do for work, Mike! I hope you can do something useful while doing that long commute. You must be exhausted at the end of the day. Especially as new jobs can be very emotionally draining! My husband used to commute 5 hours each way for 2 years, but only once a week. He learnt spanish using in car tapes and stayed with spanish speaking people for a couple of nights while he was away.

UT such good news re your biopsy results and yes a couple of wines were most definitely in order girl! And hope you managed to hang onto today’s fast – it is harder I find, even after a little break let alone what you had. So well done if you got there!
    HI Mike boy what a commute. I drive app 3 mins up the road in our little town & I’m there. Could walk of course but I need a first aid kit/umbrellas etc for my bus duty with kids am & pm so the car is it. That video is a hoot isn’t it…I’d seen it before but it sure explains things well. Sounds like you’ve got your FD’s sussed out too.
    Taco you’re sure right about wasted calories – not enjoyable & would have cancelled out all the benefits of the exercise. Duh just mindless eating.
    CG so glad you got reassurance & a GP who knows what he’s talking about for sure. And glad you’re taking more meds aaand going to be a lady of leisure!!! Goodonya girl. My we might have to all start talking more genteel-like to fit in with CG’s new standards.
    Had a good FD so far & will finish around 460 cals so not too shabby….that is of course if I use my aussie determination AFTER dinner, that’s my danger time. Have planned a Jarrah hot choc in so that should hit the spot. Hope you all had a successful FD and can go to bed pleased as punch. suejen XXXX night all

Up – so glad your biopsy turned out ok xx
    CG – take it easy and mind yourself
    GG – thinking of you and your dad; it’s a bittersweet and precious time.
    Regards to all.

Suejen, the Jarrah hot choc saved my life in hospital, I took 6-7 with me and basically lived on them for something full bodied. We have a special relationship (Jarrah and me :). now 🙂 I bought a “barrel” of Ovaltine the other week out of reminesince, and I’m having one each night, cheaper in the long run than Jarrah, cals on a par, and lovin’ the flavour of days of padt 🙂
    Taco, glad you saw the funny side, and even though tired and sore, just love our communication to keep my head above water.
    I’m determined to follow orders, so our thread IS my contact, I may not be as regular with posts for a while, difficult with others around, but keep up the great work team. Mike lovely to see you are still with us going well too.
    GG, even with our private contacts, please know our love and prayers are with you as a team :))
    Just had dinner, back to scrabble on our ipads, and a few laughs, so might check in later have a great evening and keep the faith with positive thoughts xxxxxx

Had a chuckle at SJs post for us being all genteel like with our Lady of Leisure 🙂 you she think drinks her Ovaltine in a China cup with a pinky out? 😉
    Gypsy – I can’t think of all those macho bikers having cauliflower rice!! You’ll be feeding them miso soup next !!

Viewing 50 posts - 6,601 through 6,650 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.