August 2017 – 31 Day Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
August 2017 – 31 Day Challenge

This topic contains 2,027 replies, has 142 voices, and was last updated by  Yondi 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 2,032 total)

• Hi!
    Day 20 USA. NFD!

Day 20, UK, NFD
    My scales tell me I could do with a few FDs soon… tomorrow seems like a good place to start!

2nd post

Mogaman condolences. May he Rest In Peace. I said a small prayer we Maltese say normally after someone leaves us.

Lynzm happy birthday, many happy remains.

Good night everyone

Despite a few close things, successfully made it through FD, went cycling this afternoon, only 4 miles, then another walk with dogs after a roasted butternut squash salad for dinner.
    Ten minutes in the jacuzzi and now off to bed for an early night.
    Does anyone eat their 500 calls for breakfast? Just wondering if it’s easier or harder.
    Happy to have clocked up the first of three FDs this week, think I’ll try to do them on workdays rather than Sunday from now on.
    Any advice welcome.
    Good night 😴

2nd post–
    CarolM, except for morning coffee with cream, I like to save all my FD calories for dinner. My blood sugar tends to be higher earlier in the day and I don’t feel as hungry so it’s much easier that way.

Day 20– Colorado USA– NFD

Sunday is going great, Nicely controlled.
    Went out for breakfast with OH. Kept calories to 706. That’s tough to do on restaurant food!
    Had just an apple for lunch. Which leaves plenty of calories under TDEE for a decent grilled chicken dinner with zucchini & roasted corn. Can’t wait!

A some point, I’ve got to stop lazing about, reading & snuggling with my kitty… Doggy still needs walking & my “100 Moves” have got to be done!

Keep striving my Fasting Friends! We can do this!

Day 20, USA, NFD

Drat. Today was weigh day and I’m now resigned to joining the tortoise club. At least there was no increase, but a little disappointed to see now downward movement for what seems like a few weeks now. AND I had been so good resisting the dreaded booze dragon! I really must increase my water intake so as to prompt that much desired woosh.

DAY 21 Queensland Australia FD
    @mogaman so sorry to hear of the loss of your son. Sending hugs and thoughts your way.

Start of a new week and looking forward to fast day today. Happy 5:2 ing all.

Day 20 Vancouver Island
    NFD
    Cheers!

Day 21/FD/Melbourne Australia

Day 20- 2nd post

@carolmscotland – I definitely save up my calories on Fast Day for dinner. If I start my day with any food, I end up hungry all dang day! Releases the Hunger Dragon! πŸ‰ Then I spend the whole day fighting the urge to snack.

I’m much better at skipping breakfast & lunch, then using plain, black coffee, tea or water to fill up till dinner. If I truly feel I need something to take the edge off, I’ll have a cup of miso soup or an apple. Just enough to stop the gnawing. But need to count them, that reduces my calories for dinner.

Each person experiments & finds what fits their lifestyle the best. Good luck!

Hello day 20 co down ni nfd
    Reasonable day and just over my tdee. we watched number 2 son take part in a 10k event so enjoyed brunch when we got home. Sausage and bacon sandwich which was delicious. Spent a good part of the afternoon in the garden. Roast chicken dinner and mixed fruit and custard for after. The only item I have to confess to is I had a slice of low gi bread toasted with peanut butter which was not planned. Shouldn’t have had it really as I wasn’t hungry but it was nice! All in all not a bad weekend.
    Fast day tomorrow

Day 21 – Tokyo, Japan – FD (#7 8 hours until complete)

@16 hours – glucose 95mg/dl, ketones ~0.0 mg/dl, 82.4kg
    @30 hours – glucose 90mg/dl, ketones ~0.5 mg/dl, 80.2kg <β€” Some fat
    @41 hours – glucose 91mg/dl, ketones ~1.5 mg/dl, 79.8kg
    @48 hours – glucose 85mg/dl, ketones ~4.0 mg/dl, 79.0kg <β€” burning fat
    @64 hours – glucose 74mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl, 78.8kg
    @71 hours – glucose 68mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl, 78.5kg
    @74 hours – glucose 66mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl
    @87 hours – glucose 62mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 77.2kg
    @90 hours – glucose 67mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 76.5kg (after workout)
    @95 hours – glucose 70mg/dl, ketones >10 mg/dl, 76.9kg
    @101 hours- glucose 70mg/dl, ketones >10 mg/dl, 76.6kg BMI 25.3
    @112 hours- glucose 75mg/dl, ketones > 8 mg/dl, 76.2kg BMI 25.2
    @120 hours- glucose 69mg/dl, ketones ~7.0 mg/dl, 76.7kg
    @124 hours- glucose 69mg/dl, ketones ~7.0 mg/dl, 76.3kg
    @136 hours- glucose 71mg/dl, ketones ~12 mg/dl, 75.3kg BMI 24.9
    @144 hours- glucose 60mg/dl, ketones ~10 mg/dl, 75.5kg
    @160 hours- glucose 71mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 74.8kg BMI 24.7

Almost there, but today I will break this fast. Basically I’m tried of not eating. Last night was a bit rough and I don’t feel as well this morning as I normally do. It isn’t bad but I guess I’m not feeling the higher level that some feel in ketosis. To me ketosis is just the fat burning state holding off starvation. My thinking and alertness don’t seem to be any different. I haven’t experiences the keto flu either. We are all different though so I’m not claiming those effects don’t exist.

My weight is the lowest I’ve been as an adult, but I still have 4 deposits of fat:
    > On my belly a good hand full
    > My back over my kidney there is a good two handfuls on each side
    > There is a layer of fat under the skin that is thick enough in places that I can’t do things like count my ribs. (I can see the rib cage, just not much detail)
    > Visceral fat which we all have to some degree

While it isn’t possible to live without any fat, this tells me I probably could get my weight down to 70kg. However to do that fast and hold it would probably be another 3 weeks of fasting. No thank you, instead I would rather just continue on the 5:2 WOL.

74.8kg – 164.5 lbs – 11 stones 10.5 lbs

Day 21 Melbourne, Australia. FD.
    Even though I’m still not that well, I’m doing my fast day. Lots of water, black tea and my lovely husband made chicken soup so I’ll be fine. I hate sinus infections!!!

Day 21 Sydney AUS NFD

Can’t believe the month is 2/3rds over! Good luck everybody

Day 20 Massachusetts USA FD Thank you @belmc for your wishes from downunder. I’ve been to Queensland
    and liked your part of the world very much.

I had to do my FD on the road today, always difficult, and a 3.5 hour trip took 7 due to weekend traffic and accidents. God bless those folks- they had a harder day than me. Thanks to a Sushi lunch and only 1/2 sweet potato for dinner I hit my mark for this week, at or around 6000 calories for the whole week. We’re 2/3’s of the way through the August challenge!!

Day 20 – SW WA USA – NFD

So enjoyed my son’s visit – 1st time he’s over since moving from South Florida to Eastern Washington earlier this spring. I’m a happy mama!

Looking forward an eclipse party with friends tomorrow morning – we’re to be at 98%. I’m happy with that. Don’t want to be part of the many on the roads heading to the 100% band. Some of you live in the 100% band; so good for you!

Day 20 NFD
    Day 21 FD

Cold and hungry. Today will be a struggle not with temptation as there is nothing here at work to eat! My plan is to go to the gym tonight as it kills my hunger and warms me up!

Good fasting all Monday fasters, tomorrow we will feel proud of today’s efforts!

Update: After some exercise I feel fine. I see a lot of people pushing only rest and water with longer fasts, that doesn’t work for me. Exercise really seems to help, I just try not to tear down my muscles too much. This time I just did 90 floors on stairs. (Real stairs, not a machine.)

Day 19 QuΓ©bec NFD. The day started as an easy FD but I spoiled it in the evening !

Day 20. QuΓ©bec. NFD. Good and easy control today. My 12 th day without any sugar ( except from fruits ). Proud of myself. No desert, no jam, no jelly, no sirup, no chocolate, no ice cream, none, nada !

Tomorrow will be a FD. Looking forward to success.

2nd Update — about 4 hours to go.

I feel good. I had a headache and took some ibuprofen and it really helped. I was also have some mild discomfort in my mid-section and that has faded away. I could keep going but I’m stopping today.

Anyway I just want to share the lessons I’ve learned:

* A lot of the weight I lost will come back. That is okay, but now I know I can do a longer fast if I want. However the fasting is just a tool. Fasting isn’t the goal, the goal is to be healthy.

* It is really, really hard to burn off fat. It is much easier not to gain the fat in the first place. I really think that is the more important aspect of 5:2. We are learning how to live without gaining fat. We are learning how to eat and how to maintain nutrition. Those are the huge things. Being able to fast for a week is just a tool and temporary. Being able to maintain a healthy weight and healthy diet is life changing.

* We are all somewhat different. My experience, how I felt and what happed is different than other peoples accounts. I don’t think there is anything wrong with these differences. It is only wrong if we attack people that are different. For some Veganism really works well. For others a LCHF works wonders. For me it is lower refined sugar and more variety in my diet. There isn’t anything wrong with any approach as long as it works for you.

Anyway this has been an experience. However I’m sure I won’t repeat it very often. Eating is more important to me than not eating. πŸ™‚

Day 20 Canada FD

Had a great day and no hunger. An apple at mid-day and delicious tuna salad for dinner was more than enough.

Reading through the posts has been great. I realize I need to be a tortoise on this as the tummy fat sticks like glue. The main change I will benefit is thinking about how much food is actually enough!

@califdreamer thanks! I like a glass or three myself.

Here’s to a great week ahead.

I’m still with you all after three weeks. got two others to join me. keep up the good work everyone!

day 21 uk fd

Update – My long fast is over! 7 days

Day 1 – normal
    Day 2 – easier than I expected
    Day 3 – somewhat harder
    Day 4 – kind of rough
    Day 5 – better
    Day 6 – easy
    Day 7 – varied from easy to hard

Estimated calories is 19700, but I had a lot of activity. That is over 2800 calories a day. My tracker mostly works off of heart rate and my pulse has been running higher than what I normally see. Typically it hasn’t been going as high, but it just stays a little higher. I estimate I’ve burn 1.5kg of fat. Probably not enough to keep weight below 80kg, but I’ll probably move back into a normal 5:2 pattern.

My stats:
    @16 hours – glucose 95mg/dl, ketones ~0.0 mg/dl, 82.4kg
    @30 hours – glucose 90mg/dl, ketones ~0.5 mg/dl, 80.2kg <β€” Some fat
    @41 hours – glucose 91mg/dl, ketones ~1.5 mg/dl, 79.8kg
    @48 hours – glucose 85mg/dl, ketones ~4.0 mg/dl, 79.0kg <β€” burning fat
    @64 hours – glucose 74mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl, 78.8kg
    @71 hours – glucose 68mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl, 78.5kg
    @74 hours – glucose 66mg/dl, ketones ~6.0 mg/dl
    @87 hours – glucose 62mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 77.2kg
    @90 hours – glucose 67mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 76.5kg (after workout)
    @95 hours – glucose 70mg/dl, ketones >10 mg/dl, 76.9kg
    @101 hours- glucose 70mg/dl, ketones >10 mg/dl, 76.6kg BMI 25.3
    @112 hours- glucose 75mg/dl, ketones > 8 mg/dl, 76.2kg BMI 25.2
    @120 hours- glucose 69mg/dl, ketones ~7.0 mg/dl, 76.7kg
    @124 hours- glucose 69mg/dl, ketones ~7.0 mg/dl, 76.3kg
    @136 hours- glucose 71mg/dl, ketones ~12 mg/dl, 75.3kg BMI 24.9
    @144 hours- glucose 60mg/dl, ketones ~10 mg/dl, 75.5kg
    @160 hours- glucose 71mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 74.8kg BMI 24.7
    @168 hours- glucose 81mg/dl, ketones ~8.0 mg/dl, 75.0kg

My blood glucose likely went up because I started doing sets of pushups. I hadn’t been using my arms much and the lactic acid can be used by the liver to make new glucose. This is typical, hard exercise increases my blood glucose.

Summary
    ——-
    Now I know I can do a longer fast. I’m stopping at 7 days because I feel I might be pushing my luck without some better monitoring. Body wise I’m disappointed more belly fat didn’t disappear, it just shows me how difficult belly fat is to burn. However I probably have less then 5% what I did 5 years ago. Maybe a lot less.

I’ve also learned the a BMI of maybe 24 might be a reasonable goal for myself. It will be a few days before I can get a good estimate of how much fat I have left, but I have a lot more than 10% body fat. I’m guess it will be around 17%.

Dinner Plans:
    =============
    Misu soup with all the seaweed, clam bits and other bits I didn’t eat, maybe 50 calories.
    Then a very large slice of water melon with walnuts on the side.

Later I’m going to have a large salad with many vegetables. I’ll add cheese, olives and beans to it. A couple fried eggs and cheese wraps on the side. I bought some very sharp cheese. Probably some sausage too, at least it doesn’t have sugar in it.

Probably more than I’ll be able to eat.

Day 21 -Ireland – FD
    August Goal :149lbs
    Current weight: 154lbs

So there is only 10 days left in August and I still have 5 pounds to reach my goal…and it was not a stretching goal at the beginning of the month by any means. Loss is slowing down….but I am losing still.

I spent Sunday obsessing about food and treats. For all my adult life Sunday has been rest day with food and drinks, and I do enjoy a glass of Guinness or some wine on a Sunday. With drinks comes snacks though. Giving myself credit for resisting the snack and wine dragon, having a controlled day under TDEE and going to bed early to shut that dragon up πŸ˜†. Feel wonderfully refreshed this morning.

I am still up by 2 pounds from Saturday night but it’s my first FD today so hopeful that will whoosh away. 10 days to my holiday so must stay focused.

@dykask your fast has been fascinating to follow. Very wise words from you “it is much easier not to gain the fat in the first place”. Well done. Enjoy breaking your fast ☺️

@dykask. Well done. 17% body fat is pretty lean!! Im 70kg and 178cm tall BMI = 22.1 I had a DEXA scan done and I had 24% body fat. Not sure if that was accurate or not but that’s what it said. How are you going to get your percentage body fat taken? DEXA, bodpod, skinfolds, flotation tank?

Day 21 – UK – FD
    A fantastic 2lb loss this week which I am very happy with

The weekend could have been better – missed a class at the gym yesterday, but I am sure I’ll make up for it in the week πŸ™‚

@daffodil2010 – like you I was aiming (and still am to be fair) for a similar weigh range and weight loss for the month of August. I am 5lb off my target too. I reckon we can get there…. Let’s do this πŸ™‚

Amazed that I’m not all that hungry today after FD yesterday, telling myself I can eat anything I want today and opted for a banana sandwich for breakfast. Just shows how much of my eating has been around everything else but nutrition and hunger. Slept great last night for the first time in ages.
    I know this is only day9 for me, but I’m feeling really 😊
    Thanks HappyMargo and Keetseel for your thoughts on FD, very helpful, I’m going to stick with dinnerπŸ™‚
    Happy Monday Everyone.

Day 21 – Woking, UK – FD
    244.8lbs
    So, back down to 17st 6lbs despite the meal out and birthday party. Time to push on to get that 4lb loss for the month. I have 2lbs to go to hit that so it’s definitely doable.

Day 21, UK, FD
    The scales are telling the story… πŸ˜”

Day 21,Wales, FD

Day 21 UK FD,the weekends behind me and pleased to say I managed an element of control so aiming for a good fast day today as REALLY need to see a loss this week – no point in hoping for good fortune just need to get down to it – c’mon @coda – we’ve got this !

Welcome back @at trip sounds great, should have known you’d be a fellow Montalbano fan, a couple of years ago we went to most of the areas in Sicily they do the filming – a brilliant trip , the highlight being when we were having a lovely meal and the actor that plays Mimi sat at the table behind us

Day 21 North Wales FD

@carolmscotland I haven’t tried eating all my calories at breakfast I have only tried eating them half for breakfast and half for dinner or all for dinner. I find all for dinner the best way for me to do a fast day.

@dykask well done on climbing all those stairs. Wish there were some good stair cases near me to climb. Providing the rain holds off I am going to walk the dog for at least 4 miles today and scrub all of my hard floors.

Not going to worry about my weight loss. I didn’t start this way of life to lose weight. I started it to become more healthy and not let food rule my life.

Good luck to all of you fasters today. πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

Day 21 Netherlands FD

A quick check in. Last FD before going on holiday. Haven’t put on any weight over the weekend which is good. TOM about to start so not sure if it will be much of a loss today.

Good luck to all fasters today

Day 21, London, UK, NFD (CD)

Aiming for a very controlled NFD today, I really need it, but I know I couldn’t manage a FD at home………. missing mojo!!!! I’ll do my B2B2B at work this week (Tues-Thurs) to counteract the BAD choices this weekend………. I truly have never met a carb I didn’t like!!!!

Stay strong everyone!!!

Day 21, South Wales, FD

@msraven – congrats on that 2lb!
    @dykask – hope you enjoyed breaking that very long fast!

Good luck all of us fasting today!

Day 21 Newcastle UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ NFD.

Day 21 – UK – FD

Hoping I can hang in there today. I’ve been eating and drinking too much this weekend. I need to get that motivation back, if I believe I can do it I will…. talking to myself here 😊

Day 21– Colorado USA– FD

Always look forward to my Monday FD after an indulgent weekend. It’s nice not having to think about calories & food choices. Just sip my plain, black coffee & herbal teas. Aaahh!

This week I’m sticking to my daily “100 Moves Challenge”, but also adding low level easy cardio to my routine.
    Just joined a lovely new book club & have my first assignment. Rather than sitting still on the couch, I plan to do my reading while pedaling an exercise 🚴🏼 bike or walking πŸƒπŸ½β€β™€οΈ (with steep incline) on the treadmill.
    …. Bonus movement, bonus calorie burn!!

Also, today is the eclipse. We’re in 93.3% zone, so should be pretty impressive. Wasn’t able to snag a pair of eclipse glasses, so made an old-school shoebox viewer just like we did in grammar school years ago!

Day 21……Florida….FD

What a lovely weekend, it such a shame that they come with weekdays. Lately, I have felt like Ivebeen living the same darn rerun over and over. I definitely need to get back to my regular scheduled programming. Plus, for the last couple days, I’ve felt fat. I haven’t felt this way in a long while. So, I’m planning on doing my FD’s M, W and F.
    The FD have not really been they problem, the NFD’s have been.

I lost the post and the person who asked when do you consume a majority of your calories….but I still wanted to answer. For me, I consume my calories between the hours of noon and 7pm. I do 16:8 daily. However, at noon when I break my fast, it’s a very small calorie amount less than 50 calories which gives me about 450 for my evening meal.
    This is comfortable for me, I think that on a FD when you consume your calories is a personal choice. No right or wrong way. Overall, the reason this works is because we can tailor it to what works for us. It’s not a one size fits all, we are allowed to try different styles to see which one fits the best.

Okay…I’m off

I was addicted to the hokey pokey then I turned myself around

Day21 UK NFD

Today should be a FD but we’re using an afternoon tea voucher that friends bought for our wedding anniversary. So sandwiches, cakes and scones and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it. Bowl of soup planned for later if we need it.

Tomorrow will be a FD. Can’t believe we’re on day 21 already.

Happy viewing for anyone in the path of the eclipse.

Day 21, Belfast, NFD
    Day 20 & 19, NFDs

Had a family get-together yesterday, chilli-fest at my house. Really nice. I made one traditional chilli con carne and another veggie/vegan one… barley, bulgar wheat, lentil and chickpea smokey chilli. Lush. I’ll post the recipe when I get a chance.

I will do a FD tomorrow – heading to Ibiza on Wednesday for a week, very early flight so a FD will get me into bed early tomorrow! I’m going to chill and enjoy my break. Drink vino and eat nice food. I’ll more than likely miss my August target but I’m already looking forward to getting back to a proper routine once the schools are back in September…yoga, swims, walks and 5:2 proper. But who knows…all the dancing and raving in Spain might help me shed a few lbs πŸ˜‰

Good luck everyone today!

Day 21 – Finland – FD
    Day 20 – NFD
    Day 19 – NFD
    Day 18 – FD 500 kcal
    Day 17 – NFD
    Day 16 – FD 800 kcal
    Day 15 – NFD

I was able to manage three fast the last week, but I feel like they barely compensate for the amount of food I’ve eaten during NFDs. Needless to say I don’t feel too good after the feasting the last two days. I feel like all my mindful approaches to eating just fly out the window at some point in the evening and I eat and eat despite feeling full. All of this is probably caused by the stress.
    I haven’t weighed myself as of late as I believe the results won’t be too good.

I’ve also behind on my planking schedule. I was almost caught up but then forgot all about it during the weekend. Perhaps I need to ease up a little bit and aim for 3-4 planking sessions per week?

More sad news of people losing their lives at the hands of terrorist last week, and a first on the home front as well. Yet surprisingly my reactions to the horrible attacks have been pretty neutral – maybe it’s the frequency of the attacks making me numb? I’m still very glad to see that many are actively marching against these extremists and showing that they are not afraid. I would have participated had I been any closer.

@debster251 & @at Thank you for your kind well-wishes and encouragement. I will do this!

Day 21, USA, FD

What an experience Dykask! It’s been fascinating reading your posts.

Update: I pretty much eat was I said. However things have been moving though me very fast. I can heard the bubbling inside as there is too much water in my intestines right now.

@bigbooty – I’ll use calipers and a four point bio impedance scale. Sometimes I also try to compare to pictures on-line. Next time I’m in the states I might opt for another DEXA scan. I can’t understand how you have such a low BMI and that much body fat. It doesn’t seem correct. However as you get lighter the fat percentage looks larger. Seems you have ~16kg of fat. At 80kg that is 20%, at 70kg it is 22.8%. So differences in muscles, bones and how much water you body holds and account for a lot.

In my case I can’t count my ribs but I can see some of them and when I’m wearing a shirt I look trim. When I pinch my whole belly it is about 3cm thick. My upper and lower body are getting very lean, it is just my middle where I seem to be packing most of my fat.

@dykask. Im not convinced the DEXA was correct. Trying to locate a bod pod and repeat. I wouldn’t describe myself as muscular at all, I look like your typical bike rider.

@bigbooty I agree something doesn’t add up. 24% isn’t horribly fat but I was pudgy at that level. When I was 36%, that was awful.

Day 21 USA FD

Day 19 Chicago, Illinois USA – NFD Weigh in at 139.5 lb
    Day 20 – NFD
    Day 21 – FD

Viewing 50 posts - 1,351 through 1,400 (of 2,032 total)

You must be logged in to reply.