Anyone morbidly obese?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Anyone morbidly obese?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Just joined and have been all over the forums (as best I can – I have no search box) and as far as I can see, everyone seems to be only a stone or so overweight.

I have at least 5 stone to lose.

Is this woe suitable? I have not read or heard (on Youtube) anything from Dr Mosley or anyone else talking about IF types of diet in relation to people who are very heavily overweight.

Welcome largelady59 and congratulations for finding a way to turn your life around. I started my life in pounds and ounces but think in kgs these days. I’ve been practicing 5:2 for over 3 years and lost 23kgs. I’ve been at 60kgs for 28 months, my lowest weight in 30 years. 5 stone is about 31kgs. There are people on this forum who’ve lost significant amounts of weight. Consider it a way of eating for life and enjoy the new, healthy you emerge. Perhaps choose a nice, positive pseudonym! Good luck.

Hi,

I’ve just provided some info to your 3-3-1 post and will try not to repeat myself.
    I am no longer morbidly obese, but I used to be. I was morbidly obese for most of my life, including childhood. In 2013 before losing the weight I was 127kg. I got to my goal of 78kg in 2015 (this is still a BMI of 30 for me, but it’s a weight I’m more confident of maintaining than something lower).

I didn’t lose the bulk of my weight on 5:2 as I hadn’t heard of it back in 2013. I did a very strict VLCD (very low calorie diet) which limited my calories to 800 per day, every day, and replaced most food with meal replacements. Not an easy thing to stick to for the 2 years it took to lose 50kg.
    I came to 5:2 when I had regained 9kg as I didn’t have the skills to maintain my new weight. I could not contemplate going back to a VLCD ever gain and I’d heard of 5:2 so decided to try it. It took me 3 months to shift 8kg and ages to move the last 1kg.

Intermittent fasting will result in weight loss, providing you don’t overeat on the NFDs. That can be quite a challenge if you have the eating patterns that tend to go with being morbidly obese. I have a binge eating disorder that drove me to overeat on NFDs and it’s taken quite a lot of time to get that behaviour under control (mostly).

I’ve been doing 5:2 for a year. Once my weight returned to where I wanted it I have continued to stick with this way of life because it really helps me keep my weight stable.

Because IF only cuts calories some days, your weight loss will be slower than if you cut calories every day. So you will lose weight with IF, but you need to be realistic with your expectations about how fast the weight loss will be. You need to understand that this isn’t a rapid way of weight loss, so patience is required. However, the big advantage with IF (especially if you do it as 5:2), is that it’s sustainable indefinitely – and I’ve never found another diet that is. It easily fits into life and you don’t feel like you are on a diet forever – that’s important. I found the FDs easy, but the NFDs took a lot of work as the temptation to overeat on NFDs was very strong. It took me quite a while to develop the skills that helped with this. I found an eating window and also mindful eating were both tools that helped. Learning not to eat lots of empty calories just because it’s a NFD takes practice.

I have lost more than 7 stone in the last year. Not sure if I was morbidly obese but I was certainly getting there and had to stop the cycle of gaining more and more weight. I used a combination of a short eating window and alternate day fasting and cut out most non veg carbs. I felt so much better within weeks that it was its own reward and helped me stick to it. I can’t imagine going back to feeling like that. Thin feels much better than carbs taste.

Thank you LJoyce and FatRabbit (need a name change there LOL).

I have read and digested every word. (In fact it was my breakfast as this is my 2nd fast day 🙂 )

I really wanted to make sure this diet is suitable for people with a lot to lose, as all the posts I saw were from people wanting to lose just a few pounds. It was so interesting to read where you started, how you did it, and how you are getting on now.

Thinatlast
    ————

I guess I am going to have to start thinking in kg. My doctor already does.

I have to be under 155kg to have an operation that is scheduled for April.

That is 341.7 pounds. Today I am 347.8. Crikey that is only 6.1 pounds over.

But the surgeon said the more I can lose the better.

My friend lost 70 lb/5 stone/31 Kg by not eating bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. She started with not eating those and then added in 2 FD a week as well. Breakfast used to be jam and toast and that became an omelette and then she decided that she was too full so now skips breakfast most days as she isn’t hungry. There were weeks when the scales didn’t move and she would be disheartened but it was clear to us all that she was shrinking, her skirts got lower and lower to the ground as her bottom got smaller!

She and I eat meat or fish with either vegetables or salad. Have a look at Jason Fung The Obesity Myth, a real inspiration for regular fasting.

Avoid anything ‘diet’ or ‘low fat’ its full of sugar. Avoid fizzy drinks/soda at all costs and drink water if you think you might be hungry, we are often thirsty.

LL59, the reason I used the VLCD to shift weight quickly was also for surgery, so I understand that motivation. I wanted to have my knee replacement at a specialty orthopaedic hospital. As they don’t have intensive care and cardiac wards etc they won’t operate on high risk patients – which means they won’t operate if your BMI is over 35 – at the time mine was over 50. So if I wanted my choice of surgeon and hospital I had to lose weight.
    The forthcoming surgery can be a motivator if you choose to use it that way. I also found that my recovery and the rehab process was much easier at a lighter weight than it would have been without the weight loss.

Thanks for the replies.

Annette, I was “sold” on keto by reading dozens of stories such as your friends. I gave up so much for keto, everything I loved, expecting to be “repaid” with amazing loss, but in 6 months I only lost 7lb which at my weight is nothing. I also did 16/8 and some days 18/6, and ate two meals a day, one about 11am and the other about 5pm. After 5, I didn’t eat a single thing till next morning, so you can imagine how utterly disappointing the 7lb loss was.

There have been some benefits in that I have shown myself that I can live without bread, potatoes, fruit, juice etc. I can’t even stomach a Diet Coke now it tastes disgusting. I drink fizzy water with ACV, a pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt and a dash of lemon or lime. Or fruit infusion tea. Or green tea.

I’ve “read” The Obesity Myth, I say “read” because it’s an audio book, 10 hrs long, and I listen to bits of it in bed every night. I have also watched all of his Aetiology of Obesity on Youtube about 5 times now. I have also read all the books by Gary Taubes, Zoe Harcombe and Robert Atkins.

LJoyce: hello again we are becoming firm friends now! I am booked to have lipdoema removal surgery on my legs, in Holland, as my CCG has refused to fund it and it’s cheaper out there. I could have it done in the UK but it costs 3 times as much.

Have you tried fasting for longer?

Inspired by Fung(on my kindle) when he talks about insulin resistance and the benefits of longer fasts, I was inspired to try 24 hour fasts which felt very scary but I have found that a couple of 24 hour fasts shrinks the waistline. I eat dinner the previous evening, skip breakfast-which is what I usually do on a FD- then skip lunch and keep busy until dinner when I eat fish or meat with either vegetables or salad.

Try it, it works very well for me.

If you only lost 7lb then your body is very good at maintaining the status quo, so fast for longer and see what happens. I am assuming that you have taken a cold hard look at what you are consuming on your non fast day?

Have you ditched rice and pasta too?

I think that a 24 hour fast is far easier than eating. I drink tea/water to keep going and have found it really easy.

Hi Annette and thanks for your messages. To answer your questions:

I only just came off keto on Saturday, and that day tried out my very first 500 calorie FD. I found it quite easy to be honest. I had loads of drinks: lemon tea, green tea, a mug of Marigold Vegan Stock, a mug of Bovril. I guesstimated that lot at 100 calories, and so around 5pm ate 400 calories worth of cheese and cherry tomatoes. Woke up next morning feeling better already! I had to bend to clean something off the floor and noticed that bending double was easier. I also felt generally lighter and more lively. That seems like a miracle considering I had only done the 500c ONE day! I had also lost 4lb overnight.

“Have you ditched rice and pasta too?” ~ nothing like that is allowed on keto. Only proteins and above-ground green veggies. Last July I collected up every bit of pasta, rice, soup, sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes and all other carby stuff out of my larder and freezer and gave the whole lot to my builder, who has 5 kids to feed.

“If you only lost 7lb then your body is very good at maintaining the status quo”

Fung talks about this in his book. The longer your body has settled at its “set point”, the harder it is going to be to shift it to a lower set point. Well I have hovered around 350lb for a good ten years, and was over 260lb 20 years ago. So yeah it’s very resistant to change.

I am not as overweight as that seems, by the way. I have stage 4 lipoedema and my lipoedema fat, which is non-dynamic and does not respond to diet or exercise, is responsible for most of it: my legs alone weigh about 140lb. Do you remember this lady, who was on the TV and magazines and the Daily Mail etc? I have the same condition as her and she is a FB friend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11/13/claire-tickle-lipoedema-legs_n_6150676.html

Looking at “normal” fat only, I am about 70lb overweight. Some doctors have said only 28lb. We shall see!

“I am assuming that you have taken a cold hard look at what you are consuming on your non fast day?”

Well, there hasn’t been one yet, as I only started this WOE 3 days ago, I haven’t yet had an unrestricted day. Been on 1500 Sun, Mon, Tues. Will try to do another 500 tomorrow.

I don’t want to get re-addicted to stodgy starchy carbs so I am simply not going to buy any so they won’t be in the house. I have all my groceries delivered and so will have a repeat order every week consisting of whole, natural, non-processed real foods, heavy on the veggies, and will be making my own soups and eating a big salad every day.

I’m really serious about this. I just spent £82 on Amazon on various things including “slimming tea”, “slimming supplements” and meal replacements for my 500c days. I am already drinking green tea for the first time in my life, taking raspberry ketones daily, and taking ACV every day. Anything that anyone says “helps you lose weight” I am doing! Just throw everything at it, one last big push!

Weighed this morning and am 7lb down since Saturday. But I won’t be convinced until it says 14lb down, at least!

PS Annette I find it easier to keep hunger at bay by NOT eating, as you say.

It’s like, if I have something small in the morning it awakens the Hunger Monster. So I would find it much easier on a FD to have nothing till about say 2pm or 3pm, then stop eating by 6pm. I have not eaten after 6pm for years, btw.

Thanks for the link, very informative. It must be very frustrating.

I lost 26lb and 26 inches all over in the first 8 months of 5:2 but it has taken incremental changes over the years to get to where I am today, often inspired by others on this forum to try different things/read authors.

I thought that the notion of giving up pasta/rice/potatoes/bread was complete madness. What would I eat? Having read Lustig and Fung, I started to eat fruit, vegetables, nuts, avocados, cheese, full fat milk and yoghurt, fish and meat.

One of my biggest successes was giving up sugar in my tea after 40+ years, there was a lot of moaning for a couple of weeks and now I don’t give it a second thought. I drink lots of water now and feel better for it too.

Take a few measurements, try some longer fasts and see if you shrink. Good Luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.