Americans, how did Thanksgiving go?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Americans, how did Thanksgiving go?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LA Chubster 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• I do the cooking in my family. Usually everything is homemade for Thanksgiving. But I gave myself an out this year: many of the sides and all of the appetizers and desserts came from Trader Joe’s or Costco. All I had to do is roast the turkey, make the stuffing, prepare the veggie sides and the garnishes.

When time for dinner came I had my 5:2 grilled salmon and joined the family in the roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted carrots. And I was fully satisfied with them. I tippled a little with a Pino Grigio and apple cider sangria, but, hey!, it’s a holiday!

My husband was sous chef, doing all the tasting duties so that I got the seasonings right without ever getting started on the high carb stuff that I wouldn’t have been able to resist once I started them.

I am very happy indeed with a relaxed pleasant holiday free of the overloaded stuffed feeling and recriminations about overdoing. And no one minded the shortcuts I took, bless them!

Hi LA Chubster! Thanks for starting this thread! Sounds like you had a nice, relaxed day. I admire your discipline on a foodie holiday–having your salmon, instead of turkey & all the fixins. Bravo for knowing what works best for you.

I, on the other hand, ate my “usual” on Thanksgiving Day, reasoning in advance that it was not a FD and that meal with my family is one of the things that makes my life worth living;) So, I indulged. My husband does the turkey & gravy, my daughter bakes the pies (pumpkin & apple) and I do everything else. I filled my plate, but did not go back for seconds this year, and had 2 glasses of Riesling with dinner. I haven’t weighed myself yet–will do that on Tuesday, my weekly weigh-in day (is that what you do–weekly weigh ins?)–and tomorrow is a FD, so I should be OK. To counter the turkey dinner, I did a lot of walking, so we shall see. We also went out for Mexican food last night…that’s usually my “splurge” dinner of the week. If I’ve gained any weight, I will go hard next week on calorie restriction on NFDs to reset. But, right now, my stomach is still way down and I don’t feel heavier. Crossing fingers this was a gamble worth taking…

Excellent for you that you had a day that you could enjoy thoroughly and still stick close to your regimen. The 5:2 diet is meant, I think, to make room for special events.

I admire your restraint. If I had gotten into the stuffing and gravy it would have been a Stuffing and Gravy Extravaganza 3 meals a day for a week. I can’t do moderation. Never have been able to, so I avoid the things that ring my gong.

Nevertheless, it sounds like we both had Thanksgivings to celebrate and now it’s on to Christmas!

I’ve put up a small tree near the breakfast table for my grandson. I’m working on reassembling our Lego Winter Village which takes up the whole counter between the kitchen and family room. And I did one arrangement of aromatic greenery in the foyer.

Love to hear about everyone else’s Thanksgiving and their holiday plans!

I’m sure most participants here wouldn’t fault someone for indulging on a food themed holiday. The important thing is to get back on track the next day.

I had to work on Thanksgiving day, but the company provided food. At work I had a stuffed pepper (I think it was stuffed with rice and vegetables and I may have tasted some cheese) and some under-cooked (in my opinion) green beans. Was eying the pies but was able to control myself and stay away from them. I also snuck some turkey in a bag while no one was looking to take home to the dog.

I indulged a little when I got home with some Greek yogurt mixed with stevia and no calorie maple syrup, and a splash of vanilla. Then had a couple handfuls of mixed nuts. Very satisfying food day for me and made Friday fast day a little easier.

Bronx

Congrats to everyone who stayed on track however you managed it!

Seriously. If you can indulge for a day my hat’s off to you. If you know you can’t and don’t, that’s just as impressive. The important thing is it’s a great confidence builder for the onslaught of Christmas, no? And we will already have our New Year’s resolutions well in hand before anyone else is even thinking about them. 👍 🤗 🍾

I have to say, regrettably, I’m now seeing what my triggers are and where I have the least amount of self-control. Today was my FD and it didn’t happen. My resolve weakened because my daughter and I went out for lunch and I was unwilling to speak up about the FD, feeling it would put a damper on our lovely holiday week. I think it’s unrealistic to find a 200-calorie meal at a restaurant. Tonight, all my grown kids will be here for turkey leftovers, and I don’t want to miss out on that either. So, as I close out this holiday week, I managed one FD. Next week, we are back to our normal schedules and I’ll get back to it. Weigh in is on Tuesday, so I’ll see if I managed to stay even at least.

OK. Maybe not the result you would have hoped for but if you’ve identified a trigger food that’s a really IMPORTANT aid. Now you know what to avoid so you’ll have much better success in the future.

If you want to stick to 200 calories in a restaurant I’d order protein and tell them you don’t want a starch. They usually offers extra veggies and I’d accept them gladly. Cut whatever the protein is in half. Enjoy one half at the restaurant and enjoy the second half at home on another day.

Turkey, meanwhile, is a fine protein choice. I skipped it because I didn’t want to want all the accompaniments that aren’t such a good idea but maybe you’ve got more discipline than I do. … no doubt you DO!!! 😉

Finally, you can’t be disappointed about a holiday. If you did your best, then I’d be happy about that. You’re not only fighting your own impulses over a holiday but the whole culture that makes food so much a part of the celebrations. So congratulate yourself for doing better than you might have and get a clean start after your next fast!

LA Chubster, a big thank you for all this good advice and encouragement. You are amazing! I look forward to your posts and I see your name pop up in quite a few threads with such thoughtful comments. Thanks to you I now have a strategy for restaurants. That’s brilliant. That way I don’t have to sweat figuring out the calories and just eat half of a protein, plus veggies. And, best of all, I don’t have to say “no” to those invitations on a FD. For me to make this part of a lifestyle forever, it has to be seamless and not disruptive to traditions, relationships, etc. That’s what diets do, and this not being a diet, makes it do-able and sustainable.

I luckily did not gain weight post-Thanksgiving–stayed the same–after my week of feasting. And, I do mean feasting. I had little discipline, except that I didn’t go back for seconds! I did move more to compensate, but I was prepared for a gain of a pound or two and just figured I would get aggressive this week. But, now it’s just back to the normal FD schedule. I like the “clean start” concept and it relieves a lot of angst over falling short one week.

Good for you! That sounds like a really positive step. And it will give you confidence to approach Christmas partying and feasting!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.