Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,201 through 1,250 (of 1,456 total)

• Hi Dykask
    Wow!! that is considerable weight loss in a few days. As you say the illness was a factor in making you less hungry and a lot lost is water. However it does show that serious reduction of calories leads to weight loss.
    I would occasionally like to fast longer than 24 hours but unfortunately that is about my limit. I have tried several times to do the 40 Hour Famine for charity but each time end up with such a severe migraine that I can’t last the distance – even when sucking glucose sweets, hydrating fluids etc.
    Completely fasting for an op 2 years ago – not even water for several hours saw me end up in hospital on a drip !!

I cycle up and down four pounds of mostly water during each 36 hour fast. I only weigh myself 12 hours or so After breaking the fast. Any difference from the last post fast weighing is, I pray, real weight loss.

L

Hi:

The main reason most feel hungry after eating something (usually carbs) is that blood sugar spikes, then rapidly falls. When it falls, you get hungry. If you don’t eat, blood sugar remains stable and hunger does not kick in. It is hard for newbies to believe that they are actually less hungry if they don’t eat! The pattern is also the reason people following a high carb diet get fat and get diabetes. They eat and are hungry a short time later. So they eat again, and again, and again . . .

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thanks Simcoeluv.
    I think I knew that already but had a temporary brain freeze!

A day after eating I’ve put back on about one pound. I was at 177.3 lbs this morning and yesterday it was 176.4 lbs. Yesterday I ate closer to 3000 kc where my typical day is closer to 2500 kc. (I enjoyed a desert with my daughter and ate a little larger supper than I normally do.) However I felt slightly over full last night, not to the point of discomfort but noticeable. I guess I’ve gotten a little use to stomach not being too full.

As for fasting longer periods, six months ago I would have thought fasting for 67 hours as being absurd and insanely harmful. Even when I slowly came to terms with fasting being healthy, just going 16 hours was a big deal. Slowly I worked towards 20 hours and my first longer fast was in early Aug. for 30 hours. Those extra 10 hours were very difficult that first time.

This weekend I wasn’t feeling too good around 55 hours and the watery Japanese soup helped a lot, but by the morning I was feeling okay. For me, each time a fast it normally gets easier. The one exception was last Friday when I was starting to get sick. Then I started feeling really horrible, but after one meal I started the 67 hour fast mostly because I had flipped over into my body not really wanting to eat mode because it was ill.

While fasting I’ve had modest headaches a couple times and one time I even took some ibuprofen which helped. My biggest issues are getting a little light headed or feeling a little off. Maybe what I ran into at around 55 hours was more related to the body switching over to ketones but not having enough ketones yet, so called keto-flu that low carb dieters often fight. It could have also be related to being sick in the first place. A more common problem though is I tend to few more alert and sometimes have a hard time sleeping while fasting.

Hi Lilymartin, no one knows your body like you do. Fasting for 24 hours really pretty major and enough time for you body to be getting fasting benefits. I think it is smart that you know when to call it quits. Maybe you’ll be able to fast longer in the future, but that isn’t really the point. The point is we are trying to improve our health. Fasting is just a tool to help do that.

Personally I think the biggest improvement I’ve had is cutting about 2/3rds the added sugars out of my diet. At least for me that really curbed my hunger and probably even allowed me to start fasting. While I sometimes go over my self imposed 20g limit a day, at least I now know what to expect and I can deal with it. I lost about 17 pounds and over amount 10 inches around my waist in 3 months when I started mostly avoiding refined sugar. Sometimes there is more to losing weight than just calories. I was so shocked by the result that is when I started studying about hormones and eventually came across fasting.

I think there are a lot of different things that probably impact people.

Brief history of my weight

* 233 lbs (106 kg) BMI 35+ Started with eat less exercise more, worked well for about a year. Lots of hunger. Low weight was 202 lbs (92 kg).

* Two year plateau where I kept eating less and exercising a LOT more. Average workout was over 800 kc / day. I gained 5 lbs over the two years and was always hungry. It was really miserable. By calorie math I should have been easily losing more than a pound a week. Most days I had over 1000 kc deficit by the numbers. My body had adapted to less food. I did lose some fat, but it was slow painful progress. Ending weight 207 lbs (94kg)

* In May I cut all deserts and hunger went way down. Shocked by that, I cut most refined sugar from my diet. In three months lost 17 lbs and almost 10″ from my waist line. In Aug. I had to buy smaller pants and belts. But the weight loss stopped at 189 lbs (86 kg).

* In July I started trying some fasting and at the time I mostly eat back the lost calories. In Aug. I did one 30 hour fast. In Sept. I start random fasting for up to day and trying not to eat back calories, but the end of Sept. I started the 5:2 approach. Now I’m at 177.3 lbs (80.6 kg)

The best part is I’m no longer hungry all the time and am enjoying life a lot more. I also have more time because I’m not exercising so much and while fasting I tend to get more work done.

Hi! I’m new here from the Southwest. I found out about the fast diet from a Ted talk and am intrigued by the physiological and neurological benefits reported. I’m also excited to start tomorrow after having gone through my kids candy bags some tonight 😊
    I’m pretty active, mostly running but also strength training and swimming, and eat pretty well most of the time. My weight is actually pretty healthy right now, I could lose 10 lbs safely but once I hit 12-15 pounds I’ll be bordering underwight. Will my weight balance out over time? It seems that there is a way to do this sustainably long term, I think, if people lived their whole lives like this. Thoughts?
    Also, what was the transition period for active folks to get back to their level of activity on fast days?
    Thanks for sharing!

HI dykask
    thanks for your reply. Yes, knowing your body is really important. I think that is why some of us gain weight or at least don’t lose it, because we ignore the signals our body sends when we are full or have eaten sufficient for our requirements that day. If we continually override our ‘ full’ signals, we get to the stage where we don’t feel full , plus of course the BSL levels rising, insulin and all the other associated physiological responses.
    I don’t stress about what I eat and that helps keep the cortisol and anxiety hormones at bay.

Since doing the 5:2 intermittently I have found the fast days leave me feeling generally ‘better’ physically , can’t really explain how..

I am however very mindful of how I eat all days of the week, not just fast days. Plus I am eating so much less than pre 5:2 and mostly not feeling at all hungry. As I’ve previously said, I’m not obsessive about FD but keep to a very low calorie intake or just liquids.
    The horrifying ‘aha’ moment was realising just how much food I was mindlessly eating without regard to hunger or my body – just stuffing my face really. – before going on to 5:2.

With Christmas not too far away I still plan to do Dr Michael Moseley’s BSL quick weight loss over short time diet as soon as life doesn’t get in the way!
    So good to fit in to clothes that haven’t fitted for some years.

Jray, I think fasting has been used for thousands of years. There is reference to it in the bible! Probably a sensible approach to keeping the body healthy even way back then.

J-ray the beauty of fasting is you can fast as much or as little as you need. For maintaining weight it seems common to drop down to 6:1, but you can set up any pattern that works for you. There are many variations in use, even here at this site. Best of luck on hitting your goals.

J-ray & Dykask… Welcome to this thread, J-ray. It is encouraging to know you have your weight so in control. I am excited that you want to know about fasting for health reasons anyway. My own experience: lost 26 lb of fat in 10 months of 5:2 and am maintaining that loss with 5:2. If I was more “diet minded” I would be able to maintain at 6:1, but the reason I like this way of eating so much, I don’t have to think “diet” ever. I am on 5:2 for life.

I have had little experience with fasting 60 hours in recent yrs, Dykask. Because of being on 5:2 for 38 months, if I determined to fast longer I could. I really am impressed that you worked up to longer fasts with 20, 30, 50 hrs, etc. I am assuming you are not eating 500 calories on these fast days, but liquids only like water, broth, tea?

My own experience is like others, it was maybe three months on 5:2 before I realized I have plenty of energy for a work out on 500 c. Day. I must insert here that a work out for me is an hour and 10 min. Includes stretches. I do this only 3 days a week. And like other’s experience, I am delighted my body feels better on fast days. I would like to fast for extended period as you have Dykask. I am encouraged you did it in gradual steps. That is the way I think…gradual increase or decrease as the matter may be.

Pea Jay, the most I’ve eaten on a fast is two bowls of miso shiro, a Japanese salty soup. That accounted for 60 calories. I’m experimenting a bit and still learning. The only thing impressive to me is my attitude. Six months ago I thought fasting was harmful. I’m very humbled that you have been fasting for 38 months. While I find the diet easy, I think I might go to a 6:1 pattern at some point. When I was in college I got down to 164 while travelling overseas, I was gaunt at that weight but I probably had more muscle then. That was over in 1982.

I’m now about 30 hours into another fast. Yesterday morning my weight was 181.3 lbs just under where I was before my 66 hour fast. Just 16 hours into my fast my weight was down to 178.6 lbs. So while my weight went up more than I would’ve liked, it is also dropping faster than normal. Water is the main player here. I might wait until the morning to break my fast as it is already 7pm here and I only have very mild hunger that will likely go away. I have no intention of pushing this fast too long. My weight will end up where it will.

While I’m water fasting I did do a HIIT workout today. While my heart was a bit slower in hitting max, it was still a good workout. Currently this is only a 16 minute workout with less than 4 minutes close to max heart rate. It was ~205 kc. So not really a problem even while fasting. But I’m tried after the workout. I’m really wondering how protective of muscles these fasts really are. However I probably won’t get another DEXA scan until Feb, probably my next trip back the home office in the states.

I was doing cardio, I would probably eat the 500 c.

Wrapped up at 40 hours. Weight was down to 175.8 lbs. Basically the same weight as when I was in college and meant my wife. I knew I was husky but I still have plenty of fat I can lose. However 5:2 is really working for removing fat, far better than any other approach I’ve tried. It is also nice that when I’m eating I don’t have to starve myself but can eat a reasonable amount of food!

Hi there!

I’m just re-starting 5:2. Actually tried a few months ago (which I was only able to do for 2 weeks) but I failed primarily I think because

a. I didn’t have enough water
    b. I was really tired and confusing it for hunger.

I’ve always been ‘fit’ but since having two babies a couple years apart and working long hours in an operating room i’ve added on 20 lbs that i can’t kick-and i’ve lost the ‘spark and motivation’ that i’ve always had to work-out because of pure exhaustion!

So, needless to say everything is tight and i’m very uncomfortable with my new chunk. I’d like to have American friends for some support! This 5:2 is pretty unfamiliar with most here. (I only learned about it after finding out how Jimmy Kimmel lost his weight).

Anyways, here I go again!!

Hi Lard and welcome:

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi Lard
    Welcome to the community of people trying to get healthier and less large.
    I have been doing the 5:2 in various forms spasmodically for a while now and find that it does help in losing weight over the long term if you stick with it . I find 5:2 can help to re-set your hunger signals so you can tell if you are hungry, thirsty or sometimes neither, just eating out of habit.
    I like this thread as the people are very supportive and have some very good info. However for November I am doing a challenge on another site which requires posting daily to keep us all accountable. I am enjoying the discipline of that . I check this site from time to time but am not posting as frequently here.
    Enjoy the journey and the support.

Hmm, there are no posts on American thread. Where is everybody?

Hey all! Just wanted to update first week in how fantastic i’m feeling. I’m doing 5:2 along with the app My Fitness Pal which has helped me track calories and its been really helpful to keep me accountable. After I was able to realize I wasn’t going to die from feeling hungry and really up’d my water and green tea intake I made it through my first fast day easily. Then, my past two ‘feast’ days I feel like my appetite is already more under control and I’ve eaten about 1,200 cals. I’m really excited about this process now and actually am looking forward to my fast day tomorrow (weird?)..

Cold Pizza-Hows it going?

Hi Lard, that is good news. I find the fasting really improves how I feel too! I often look forward to the fast days. It might just be the change of place but not having to eat also saves time!

Three weeks in with 2×36 hour fasts — down 5 pounds after correcting for cyclical water gain.
    I feel great, exercise is great. Recovery from exercise suddenly much faster. In another two weeks I
    may have a better idea whether the improvement in recovery time is real. I seem to have little appetite on non-fast days and prefer very low carb meals. That is a change since in the past I’ve hated low carb meals.

Questions:

Does 420 calories of MCT oil and butter disrupt the fasting state? (Bulletproof coffee)
    It gets me through the day until my one evening meal … For the IF it doesn’t seem to be a problem since it is under my 500 calorie fast day allowance. But if I tried something longer (e.g. 4 days)
    would I ruin the effect by having Bulletproof coffee each morning?
    Or does the MCT oil speed the changeover to a lipid based metabolism?

If I don’t feel like eating on non-fast days should I eat anyway? My exercise level is high and I’m concerned that I’m too far below my TDEE across the course of a week ….

Is blood glucose a good indication of insulin state? I measure glucose in the mornings and in the
    evening two hours after my one meal (on non-fast days). It’s low-normal. Can I conclude that I’m also
    keeping insulin in the low-normal range (I don’t eat a lot of protein, maybe 400-500 calories on a non-fast day)?

Hi Larry:

I’m not sure how you define ‘fasted state’. If you are talking about going toward ketosis, the answer is no. Ketosis is defined as the body getting a majority of its energy from fat. But the fat can be either dietary or internal. Atkins followers go into ketosis around 4 days after beginning the induction phase which has them eating 20g or less of carbs daily. So your coffee, when combined with no other food, will not disrupt your march toward ketosis.

As far as eating when you are not hungry – why? The body is pretty good at letting you know if it is hungry or not as long as you are not eating processed carbs (processed carbs short circuit the hunger warning systems in the body and cause a person to be constantly hungry). It is true that until you get ‘keto adapted’ the body can ‘run out of gas (carbs)’ if you are doing any high intensity exercise like running or aerobics, but if you are walking or doing other longer term but ‘mild’ exercise there should be no problem. You might google Jeff Volek for some of his speeches on exercise and keto adaptation. I believe him to be the current ‘expert’ on the subject.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Will check Volek’s works. By “fasted state” I meant the (desireable) hormonal state
    resulting from a few days fast. I wondered if just the act of eating (even eating pure fat) would spike insulin. Sounds like it won’t.

It feels strange to not have carb cravings (hunger) on the day after a fast but rather
    Chef salad cravings with much oil. I never have adapted well to a low carb diet alone.
    Always Atkins flu and severe carb cravings for as long as I could stand it …
    The fasts seem to prevent both ….

L

Hi Larry:

Fat will not spike insulin. Just a general comment here – I see a lot of people proclaiming they eat protein to stave off hunger but they do not mention fat. I think for some this is a remnant of the low fat diet craze where fat was vilified. But the fact is protein is unhealthy if eaten in excess (more than a constant 30 to 35% of total calories). Fat, on the other hand, can be eaten in large quantities without harm. That is why the Atkins (now known as the HFLC or LCHF or whatever) diet has about 60 to 70% fat, 20 to 30% protein and around 10% carbs as a breakdown. Most people don’t know that the body can live quite nicely without any carbs, but will die without fat or protein.

You may experience the ‘Atkins flu’ if you try a 4 day fast. It occurs as the body is forced to depend more on fat for energy than carbs (goes into ketosis). People that do multi-day water fasts often say days 3 and 4 are the hardest – they are for me, too. But just as in Atkins, after the 4th day there is absolutely no hunger, cravings or pangs. You have to complete the process to understand. Most quit before completion because they don’t feel good and stop.

My standard advice is simply to do 5:2 correctly (go to bed, get up, eat 5/600 cal. or less while awake, go to bed, get up and eat to TDEE or less and do this process twice a week) and work toward making your two diet days water fasts. Everything else will fall into place as you come to understand how your body responds.

It isn’t easy, but it is simple. Anything more complicated, in my opinion, is a waste of time and energy.

Good Luck!

Hi All
    I have not posted for a while as I have been diligent in posting on a 5:2 November challenge on another site which is keeping a worldwide community of IF fasters accountable. We are all supporting each other as we try to change our habits to this lifestyle for good.
    I have to say with exercise, I played 2 hours really intense tennis earlier this week on a FD and even though I drank 3 litres of water I woke with a monster of a headache which took food and tablets to get rid of. I have always had difficulty with low BSLs in the past and could never do the 40 hour famine ( annual fluid only fast for charity) as I always, as in every single time!, got a migraine at about 28 hours.
    So I now stick to 24 hours as I know my body can cope with that but if I exercise I will up my calories a bit to compensate.
    BTW It doesn’t matter what kind of fluid – water, drinks with electrolytes, freshly squeezed fruit juice, a little added glucose – I had on the fast, once over 24 -28 hours on comes the headache with a vengeance . Keep the faith with the IF , it really does work. Since doing the 5:2 I weigh the least I have for over 3 years – happy mum happy family😊

Hi lily:

I am aware of a November challenge on another thread on this site, but am not aware of a November challenge on another site. Could you please let me know what the site is?

Thanks!

Hi sim
    my mistake – yes it is the challenge on this site. I meant to say on another thread not site. I notice you post on it with good advice and info from time to time🙂

Hi LarryNYC, I think that even the bullet proof coffee will interfere somewhat with your fasting hormone levels depending on what hormones you are concerned about. Even fat has some impact on insulin levels but it is much smaller than proteins or carbs. Fasting impacts other hormones like HGH and for that it is probably less clear what the impact is since there is so little research in human fasting. I think the largest impact though is just slowing down your use of your own stored fat. Fat consumed will likely be in the blood before your own stored fat.

All that being said, does it really matter? If you are making reasonable progress and the bullet proof coffee makes it possible for you to maintain your fast, then that is probably more important than the impacts of it. 400 kc is only about 45 grams of fat. If you are losing more like 200g of fat, the impact is not that great. There have been some studies that show improved insulin resistance and other benefits with intermitted fasting. Just because you might be slightly slowing down the accumulation of some of these benefits doesn’t mean you won’t gain them. The biggest benefit is probably from reducing your stored fat. So if the coffee makes it work for you then it is better than not fasting at all.

This is the second 36 hour fast that I’ve added a HIIT workout too. It certainly makes the fast harder although I’ll probably still be fine. Just a bit more hunger than I’m used too.

Against my own advice I just made a cup of miso broth which has about 25 calories worth. 1.9g of protein, 0.7g of fats, 3.2g carbs and 630 mg of sodium. It seems I can’t easily do a workout on a FD without a little something. As soon as I started drinking it my stomach clamed down. I am about 22 hours into this fast.

I’ve had 3 fasts where I yielded and had some of the thin soup. Two some hours after a workout and one when I was about 50 hours into a fast. I think I could have toughed it out, but while I think it is better to stick to a pure zero calorie fast, I just don’t think is it worth being miserable. A big part of the 5:2 diet benefits is I feel much better than when I was doing potion control. Then I typically felt worse than I’m feeling right now. 3 years of being hungry all the time is enough.

Hi! Thank you all again for advice.

In Dr. Fung’s book there are desirable hormonal changes that don’t happen until about four days
    into a fast (growth hormone increase, for example). So I’m tempted to try for a 4+ day fast ….
    Wish me luck. I’m 20 hours in ….

I’ve gone through an hour of resistance and HIIT during that time. No problem so far.

In Dr. Fung’s new book he seems to allow 6 cups of coffee with one Tbsp of butter/oil
    in each. So my large cup of coffee in the morning with 2T butter, 2T oil seems legal …

I add a bit of salt to coffee and oil/butter each morning and take a magnesium supplement,
    on the assumption that it may make exercise a little easier.

Hello,

I am starting in low carb high fat diet during my non fasting days. I wanted to try the alternate day fasting as it think it would give me fastest results. I would like to implement 5:2 once I am in maintenance mode. So happy to see everyone here. I hope there are some active posters.

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on LCHF and intermittent fasting. I have done 2 – 10 day water only fasting in the past year but have gained back the weight. I have read and listened so much information on benefits of fasting that I want to make it a part of my lifestyle.

Check out these podcasts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-eqJDQ2nU

There are many books on benefits of water fasting as well.

Anyways, I would like to improve my health and lose about 25 pounds.

Dr. Fung is focused on longer fasts. If you are going to have any food, probably fat is the safest, but the main issue with fat is it normally doesn’t exist in a pure form, that is there almost always some protein or carbs found with it. (Unless you are into drinking cooking oil.) Still small amounts probably have only have slight impacts. However, I’ve been using miso and I’ve added some salted plum strips. Very low calorie probably about 5 calories today, but I was trying to get more salt. The plum seemed to make be a little hungry though so I’ll probably go back to miso. Miso also has some carbs as it is made from soybeans.

As far as when some hormone benefits happen, there is a lot of conflicting information. I think most sources agree you start seeing a good amount of hormone upregulating by about 20 to 24 hours. Longer is better. For some hormones like IGF1, it probably takes days to get major improvement or many repeated shorter fasts. Some things like HGH and Insulin are much more responsive to fasting. From studies I looked at, different people had different response rates too, to you have to judge by your own results. The probably with four days if you aren’t already in ketosis you might have a rough day before your keytone production is high enough to fully support your body.

I’ve been meaning to try some butter in coffee, but I kind of like my coffee hot, black and bitter. I also rearranged my HIIT workouts this week, so I’m having a lot less of the edge today. I’m almost to the easy coast, once I get past dinner time on FD is it easier for me.

Hi ADF, I hope 5:2 will be successful for you. I think the idea is you keep fasting, just dialing it back to one day a week when you get to your idea weight.

A 10 day fast is far beyond anything I’ve done so you have a lot of experience with fasting! Thanks for the links.

ADF those blogs are interesting. I never knew that it isn’t just the fasting but the refeeding that is important.

Frankly I’ve never done that well on calorie restricted diets. Sure I would lose weight sometimes but I really suffered and I never saw the body changes that I’m seeing with fasting. With fasting I’m seeing a lot more muscle development and of coarse fat loss. The main problem was that I often had a lot of hunger and just felt lousy. While fasting can be a little uncomfortable at times, I find it is a lot more comfortable that a constant calorie restriction. I also really enjoy the refeeding!

I’m with you dykask…I’ve never done that well on cal restricted diets either. The only way I’ve ever been able to lose weight and keep it off has been with fasting, which I have regrettably, in the past taken to some pretty crazy extremes. But this way of fasting is so easy and it works so well! Seriously, I took off 20 lbs. in nothing flat (well, okay, it’s taken me through August which is not all that fast) but I haven’t missed eating and the inches have melted off too, in a good way.

I’ll check out the youtube links, but I can’t even imagine putting butter in my coffee. Have any of you drank butter tea the way it’s consumed in India? That was a stretch for me but since it was all there was, drank it I did, but I had on my game face every time because it was terribly salty and weird.

There is tons of research on hormones and excercise which I’m pretty sure you could get from The College of Sports Medicine. Also quite a bit about when to eat when on excercise regimens.

This particular diet is so easy to do and works so well I’m sticking to this. I’ve just been not so focused the last 2 weeks. I’ve kept calorie counts low and within range but I’ve been yo-yo-ing 2 lbs. gained, 2 lbs. lost. When I weighed in this a.m. it was down to the low end of that yo-yo-ing so the bargain I made with myself was not to do too much damage and on M 11/14 fast again in earnest and stop having a glass or two of wine with dinner. We walk with our dog between 2-4 miles every day and I do between 20-50 push ups three or four x’s a week. So, after a lifetime of serious and not so serious dieting I have finally found what works best for me and this is it. Now, the caveat for me is I have to be very careful b/c I’m on two anti-coagulants for heart issues, most notably a titanium aortic valve and eating this way tends to really wack my INR (the measurement of these two drugs) but when I talked to my cardiologist about what I’d been doing all summer he was so pleased at my getting 20 lbs. off he told me to stay the course but be vigilant and careful about my INR. I generally check it 2x a wk. He also was most interested in my keeping this weight off, which after the last couple of weeks I’m pretty sure this is becoming a way of life now and one that works well for me and isn’t brain death to follow and stay on.

The trick is finding what works best for each of us and hey LarryNYC, if drinking butter or oil in your coffee works for you, go for it. I like it black and strong without any additives like salt, sugar, butter, etc. I’m eternally grateful that coffee is acceptable again. 🙂

I’m renewing my effort to get below 150. We’re going to the mountains for Thanksgiving so will have more control over that feast and will fix things lower in calories. Wish me luck.

Hi,
    I am in DC, land of the weird right now. I am doing my first fast today. I am on East Coast time. I am starting with my morning coffee with 2 % milk and nothing else, which is what I usually do (I loved Michael Mosley from the second I read that I don’t need to eat breakfast and I don’t need to eat all day!).

I do normally eat like a possessed demon at night…and as a result I am still TOFI and have Type 2 diabetes. I am excited about this approach because I have a decent sized will when it comes to short spurts of effort, like 2-3 day things, but restricting my eating every single day just doesn’t work.

So, at 10:45 AM I ask whoever is up: Do you use less Metformin on fast days? I will ask my doctor, but I don’t think he is familiar with this approach and I am not sure he would know as much as people who are doing this do. I take Glumetza, a form of Metformin ER that my stomach can handle, and I take it all at night because if I take it during the day it makes me ill. My hBA1c is 6.7 (I assume most Americans use this measurement), my waist is 35-36 inches (I put the 35 in because I couldn’t believe the 36 that I measured twice yesterday). I weigh 132 pounds and I am 5′ 2″. I “got” Type 2 after having gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy at age 38. I am now 52. For a long time, I just wouldn’t admit I had diabetes and lived for years with generally high sugars, but now I am in the 7s without metformin, so 3 years ago I started to face my reality.

Thank you all for all of your posts. They are inspirational to me.

Thank you dykask!
    As I mentioned, I am really interested in implementing fasting as a lifestyle. I see the benefits far beyond losing weight. I think it just takes time to get used changing my behavior and thinking on food and what it is really meant for. I used food for many other things other than just nourishing my body which I want to change. For me, I want to see food as for what it is, to nourish and support my body not anything else. You know, the emotional eating, using food as a social glue…etc

I have learned so much about how I view food during my 10 water fasts. I would have mental and emotional hunger for food far more than physical hunger. I think this will take time to change but I am willing to do that work. One of the things I have really enjoyed was the liberation from preparing and eating and all that goes into meals but it has been really hard thing to come to appreciate. 🙂

I actually started last week but didn’t quite keep up with tracking my feeding on eating days. I definitely over ate this past weekend. I think it is going to be really important to for me to realize and adjust to understand that the eating days DOES NOT mean binging or over stuffing myself. we are suppose to eat normally but this is the part that I am having a bit of challenge with.

Have you guys found that you are wanting to eat way more than necessary on your eating days?

I hope this does taper down and my natural appetite control takes over. I really want to “reset” my system.

Hi ADF
    I have been doing the 5:2 in various ways and intermittently for a while. I am 7 kgs down from when I actually started trying to lose weight and be healthier. With the 5:2 which I have been more diligent with over the past few weeks, I actually find that it has re-set my hunger signals and I am eating less on non-fast days. I have been on a fast since Sunday night this week and was going to have something to eat this morning but really don’t feel hungry at all so am going to go til lunchtime when I have a lunch with friends planned. I am drinking plenty of water though with occasional tea and coffee.
    This WOL has made me more diligent in thinking about what I am eating and I am changing from being a mindless eater to much more mindful. Never-the-less it is always one meal/day at a time and if we overdo it and indulge it is not the end of the world – the sun will still rise tomorrow and it is another day. Having said that I try to be careful every day now.
    As my brother said to me, ‘ she who indulges , bulges!!’

Hi Mollymoticon, welcome to the start of fasting! You may need to work with a doctor to manager your medications. I sincerely hope it goes well for you.

crowmama it warms my heart to hear others have had similar difficulties with traditional calorie restricted diets. While I did lose some weight, about 26 pounds over three years, from 233 to 207 the price was very high. This year with mostly cutting out refined sugar and adding fasting I’ve cut my weight 30 lbs since May of this year. The last 6 months have been so easy compared to the prior 3 years. 4 years ago I was a firm believer in eat less and exercise more, it took 3 years of suffering to make me realize that there is more too it. However what is really shocking to me, after fixing my diet some and learning to fast, the calorie math is actually sort of working on a weekly basis. When I was eating reduced calories mostly constantly and exercising like a dog, I couldn’t lose weight and felt terrible. There is a big difference between working with my body instead of trying to forcing my body.

ADF12kgLess, Dr. Rhonda Patrick runs some very in-depth interviews! I thought I had a better good base of knowledge but after a few hours of listen to some of those interviews I’m amazed by how much I had never even heard about! There is some amazing research going on.

Dykask: Hi, I’m also an American living in Tokyo. Just restarted my 2nd go at 5:2. If you are worried about the sodium in miso soup Tanita タニタ食堂 sells reduced sodium instant miso soup packs. They also have reduced sodium miso paste. Tastes fine just a less salty.

Edit: Just saw you were concerned about carbs not sodium. Considering the amount of miso paste that goes into miso soup I would think that the carbs would be negligible. Although I don’t know how much miso you add.

Thank you–I figured out the answer re: the meds. Yes, I need to work with my endocrinologist.

I was surprised how easy my first fast was, until I woke up at 3 am starving! I decided to eat an apple because I wasn’t going to be able to sleep with that level of hunger.

Generally I am happy with it though. I ate most of my calories at my evening meal, and I didn’t binge at night. The things I found hardest to avoid were wine and carbs, as I mostly drink wine and eat junk at night.

The thing I liked the most about it was how delicious the food tasted at the evening meal….I was so hungry and it was like the most delicious food I had ever eaten.

Also, I see why this works in that I ate breakfast today, but I did not eat any junk….I do not want to eat junk. I already am so much more aware of what I am putting into my mouth.

Thank you–

Good morning!

I hope everyone is doing well. 🙂 I mad made it through yesterday relatively easily once I got over the initial hump. I ended up having 2 tablespoons of half and half in coffee but other than that, that was my total intake all day yesterday so I am pretty pleased.

I ended up running on the treadmill for about 15 min. 3 or so minutes of sprinting and rest just walking. I am hoping my level of energy will get better and better once I start adapting more to this way of life. I ate breakfast at 8:30 this morning and feel pretty satisfied. NO uncontrollable urge to over eat or anything. which is so awesome!!!

I hope you all are doing well

I do like listening to Dr Rhonda Patrick’s podcast. she is very informative. I try to vary my sources of information so I can cross reference and I also try to listen and read variety of people so I can get all the information to make a sound and relatively logical decisions for what I am doing about my health. I can share more if you might be interested.

As I have said I done quite a bit of research into fasting and just nutrition in general. I am constantly updating my brain with information. There are so many wonderful research and lectures out there if you go looking for it.

I also listen and read other if you are interested I can share some more stuff.

Hi. New to the group. I am in New England and I have stubborn post menopause weight gain. I tend to overeat when stressed or bored. I like the fasting to get control. Yesterday was my first fast and I did well until bedtime. It was hard to sleep with my stomach growling. Today I am doing low carb and so far so good. I would like to lose 20 lbs so anything is going to help. I actually love exercising so that is not my problem. Looking forward to great discussions!!

Hi Tokyotogo, thanks for the advice. I used to be on a low sodium diet and in fact was when we moved to Tokyo. However those days are behind me as my blood pressure is normal now. When I had miso soup have been times after exercising or once when I fasted for 66 hours. I was probably struggling with the shift into ketosis at that point.

My wife is Japanese and not very understanding of the fasting, but she is tolerating it since she has seen I can control myself after fasting and I didn’t just drop dead. 🙂 So you did 5:2 before? Did you reach goals or stop for some other reason?

So I was experimenting with local types of salty foods in case I need it after working out while fasting and really consumed a lot more salt than normal. Also in my family this is a period of rich meals as there are 3 family birthdays and Thanksgiving all within four weeks.

Anyway the extra salt and rich meals bumped my weight up to 183.7 lbs this morning. Today is my heaviest day of the week, but that is 3 lbs more than I expected. However my weight has already dropped down almost two pounds and I haven’t started fasting yet. I’m just surprised by the impact of the extra salt on my weight. I knew salt causes water retention, but this is the first time I ever actually measured it. The good news is that I’m still down almost six pounds from when I started the 5:2 in early September even at this higher weight. That is six pounds lower from a plateau where I was actually eating less than I am now. There is no doubt that the fasting really makes a difference vs just eating less without fasting.

Dykask: I don’t really know why I stopped 5:2. I had done about a month and a half of 5:2 6 months ago. My weight went down a couple of kilograms my goal is 5 more kilograms.
    I’ve not seen anything about intermittent fasting in Japan. My husband is a doctor and thought I was either going to become anorexic or nutritionally deficient. This time he doesn’t seem to care about it.

@tokyotogo very interesting. At least your husband should be able to notice if you did have problems. A year ago I thought fasting was crazy but now I even sometimes prefer fasting to eating, but I think that is mainly because I really had a hard time with the standard calorie restriction approach. My body feels better with the fasting and I had some long term skin problems that have just gone away. However the main benefit I see is less fat and not so much loose skin.

My wife isn’t sold on fasting but she has stopped teasing me about it. My last trip to the states in August I bought 34″ waist pants to replace my 38″ waist pants. A couple pairs were a little tight and now they are getting on the loose side. Results are hard to argue with. Also my overall eating has also become healthier.

I’m hoping fasting and reducing sugar will help improve my hay fever since I have pretty bad here in Japan. I also feel like my mood is better at work when fasting. Probably because I’m not on the blood sugar roller coaster. I’m considering just moving my weekday eating to a 7-10 pm window. Will have to experiment with that.

Hi Guys
    Great to have fellow Americans here!
    Paul
    Washington dc

Marcia, I’m almost 61. I lost 10 pounds from March to June. It’s possible!!! I’ve regained a couple, but I’m confident I will get them off soon.

I’m one month in and have lost 12 pounds, about four of which are illusory water. I measure at my minima, at the end of a fast, to avoid confusing water and fat.
    Right now I’m 40 hours into a fast, number seven I think. I may try to go beyond 48 hours this time. Gulp.

Question: I have a glucose meter and am trying to interpret it. I guess it is an imperfect index of insulin. I suppose it misses insulin release triggered by protein ….
    I have a ketone meter on order.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,201 through 1,250 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.