Amazing April 🐣

This topic contains 348 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  stitchincarol 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 364 total)

• Day 21 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Yesterday’s craft event was every bit as much fun as I anticipated, and more, and I have a beautiful silver necklace (crafted from metal clay, and fired in a kiln) and matching earrings to wear. Eating? Yeah, not good.

Something struck me yesterday: My friends and I got home not long after we’d had dinner, and opened a bottle of wine. I grabbed some almonds to nibble on and had already eaten a couple, when they both said no thanks, that they were full.

??? So?

LOL. My ability to feel “full” seems to be entirely gone. What is the solution behind feeling full; anyone have any knowledge? I truly need to re-learn that response.

@kittymom78 Welcome to our corner of the internet!

Pocket List – Day 21
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @flourbaby
    @funshipfreddie
    @at
    @brightonbelle
    @stitchincarol

Day 21 – 16:8 CD

Successful FD’s behind me for the week.

Making stew today. Out of season, lol, but all the fixings are in the freezer. It is a good filling FD 800 meal or a good quick meal anytime. I thicken it with almond flour instead of wheat flour. This time I will add some chia seeds and ground flaxseed too. An experiment.

On a big lol note: I had an audience again for my hooping exercises- the same neighbors had their trees trimmed. 😂

Lots of laundry- it’s hairball time for the cats. Couch covers are worth their weight in gold – but it is important to remember to check before sitting down! 😼

Well wishes to all

Day 22 – Friday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – NFD 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Hellooo up there! Gosh the short week has just flown by and with actually two more long weekends in front of us here in Queensland ie three in a row, we are cramped for work time and feeling a little stressed about meeting deadlines.

My Easter weekend away with my family (DD, SIL & 2 GRANDIES) went well but crashed and burned on return home with no-one but me to eat the leftover GF hot cross buns and GF chocolate Easter eggs….and I did. (what else is a gal to do? 😋)

Yesterday was Blood Bank donation day (yes it seems you CAN GET BLOOD OUT OF A STONE!🤣), followed by 6 monthly Prolia injection (some of you will be familiar with that one!) and at last my 4th COVID booster. By the time I came home I felt like a pincushion! And also exhausted!

Recovered this morning though and out for the 90 minute tramp.👼

So also bravely met the scales this morning and predictably had gone up half-kilo….
    Thank heavens, we have one more week and, for me, two more fun days (FD) to rectify before the end of April. I always promised myself that I would take Easter off without guilt…… so definitely will be continuing with this IF (5:2) well into May and then hopefully will have met my goals and then into WOL onwards.

Not my usual self this morning but I have read all your wonderful posts and especially my thoughts are with @ccco & @jaifaim…. always so tough to lose those we love.💐💐

Hi to @kittymom78 🖐 You’ve come to the right place… loads of support here which will help you along the way.

@funshipfreddie following your posts, always a must read; hope the rain is abating and the water receding ……. such a lot ahead with the clean-up and retrieval which can only start when the rain stops. Hope your government approaches natural disasters with the right money and timely support that is needed at ground level. Our country is still having issues getting the support where needed 6 weeks after our flooding disaster.

So many of you I would like to say hi but out of time for now. Just keep walking everyone…. 🚶‍♀️ …. little steps or big steps but more important FORWARD steps! 🦘🦘🦘🦘 (kangaroos can’t walk backwards!… your trivia for today!)

cheerie dearies🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Day 21 Ohio, US — NFD

This was a normal eating day.

@mariaelena How did your experiment with the seeds in the stew turn out?

@stitchincarol The FD’s help me to get the “full” signal at the first meal after the fast. That signal right now seems to get much weaker as the day progresses, but I’m hoping that as time goes on, it will last all though the day.

@northgeorgia Does 300 miles take you into Florida? By the way, I’ve lived in both Rome and Athens (Georgia, that is!)

@daffodil2010 Hope your granddaughter had a great party!

Day 22 – Lake District UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

What a fabulous day yesterday, my accrued ‘brownie points’ were very well rewarded, despite the bright sunshine I had a wonderful days fishing (trout don’t like sunshine, they haven’t any eyelids and spend their life looking toward the surface for food!)

The tarn I was fishing was called High Fairbanks, hidden away in the low lying fells of southern Lakeland, slightly north of a line between the villages of Ings and Crook ( @at a place very much away from the crowds, first time I’ve been there, fabulous place for a long stroll 🙂 ) Left the car and it was almost half an hours wander to the Tarn, en route I saw deer, hares (not as many about these days) listened to skylarks and the view of the hills… From the Old Man of Coniston, the Langdale Pikes, Fairfield with Helvellyn poking up behind, Red Screes then round to the Kentmere fells, just a fantastic panorama.

The fishing, well, millionaires fishing! Except for sharing it with the wildlife, I had the place to myself, no traffic noise, just peace and quiet and a beautiful day. I returned home a very happy and relaxed guy. A real treat, will pick another day sometime, but not too often, will keep that special place as a real treat!

Apart from that I’d completely forgotten it was a FD, but didn’t need to try, very light breakfast and Mrs I-h-l had a very nice light meal organised for me later in the day!

Take care all.

Day 22 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Weigh in: 165

Morning all. FD didn’t happen…too many pastries and a slice of birthday cake for dinner. Cannot believe the little Grandaughter is 6..

But I have to say, and it’s because this is a safe place, but the child’s has put on a lot of weight and is looking quite chubby, even the dreaded f-word…fat 😨 I don’t say anything, but her parents have split up (amicably) so she spends a lot of time going between different houses and different rules…..and it seems she is being allowed snack and snack. Seeing all her little friends yesterday, she is by far the biggest child and I really fear she is being set up for a lifetime of misery.

Oh it’s terrible. I know her Mom tries to curb the constant looking for snacks, but she can wear you down. It’s not her fault the poor mite. When I was 6 I would have eaten any snack given…..except there were no snacks and even fruit was an occasional treat.

This modern world and its food dangers.

Have a good Friday

Day 22 – Ireland – CD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏻‍♀️

Hello everyone!
    @mariaelena i wonder did the roofers tell the gardeners there was entertainment in the neighbourhood 🤣 good for you! I’m sure it brings a smile to everyone’s day!
    Well done @linda.b on getting out there and showing us how it can be done..
    I found it very hard this morning but am on my bike… stopped in for a coffee and catching up on posts…
    @stitchincarol I also rarely feel sated with food but am learning to stop… hopefully another habit I can build. @babs_b you seem to have managed this so well done to you!
    @northgeorgia well done on your low for this week… I’m back at the very tip of 150s so happy for today. Maybe won’t make target next week but we’ll see – miracles do happen.
    Great to see many people back after Easter and with resolve for the next week or so. @at my mojo has also been off… but we are here 💪
    I have a busy weekend socially which is a bit weird after so long but looking forward to the catch-ups.
    Everyone else hello and be strong and catch up tomorrow

Have a lovely day everybody!

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 22 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ second post

Should have said that today will not be controlled… and I may have alcohol later – haven’t made up my mind on that yet but will see..
    @i-hate-lettuce you are doing wonders for the Lake District Tourism board… I would be over there in a flash if I could be 😊 you lucky things!
    @daffodil2010 so glad you had fun and yes it’s a space where we can share those thoughts… very difficult for parents nowadays… our treat was orange cordial from time to time… and a chocolate bar on a Friday.. everything else was literally locked away 😂 the neighbours had a soda stream – they were very posh!

Day 22 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@stitchincarol – interesting question re feeling full. I think @northgeorgia mentioned the same thing recently. And I replied that I didn’t like feeling full; but I guess it depends on ones definition? Is it the same as just not feeling hungry? When your friends said they were full, maybe they’ve just resolved not to snack or eat between meals? I don’t think there’s ever a time when I just couldn’t eat another morsel, except maybe after Christmas dinner, but I don’t like feeling that way. I usually have small a snack after my evening meal, but that’s more out of habit than hunger. And on FDs it doesn’t even occur to me to snack. Or maybe it’s all about the level of the hunger hormones, which may vary in different people. I believe the fewer carbs we eat, the less likely we are to feel hungry.

@linda.b – ‘kangaroos can’t walk backwards’ 😂 I had no idea?! I wonder how they discovered that..? 🤔

Seems like the Beeb aren’t big on geography: https://www.sapeople.com/2022/04/20/watch-bbc-struggles-to-find-south-africa-on-the-map/

Happy Fri-yay everyone! 🍷

Day 22 – Friday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – NFD – 2nd post

@funshipfreddie loved the BBC news clip…. ha ha!
    Hey, are you doing GLOBLE? I do my daily WORDLE but also addicted to GLOBLE…. my geography has improved exponentially and particularly with Africa as every third day it is one of the no less than 54 African countries! A bonus trivia for today.

Maybe we should send GLOBLE to the BBC 🤣🤣

Day 22 – USA/GA – (?)

Weigh-in: 217 lbs. *sigh* Well, I literally was driving on the road all day yesterday, and travel + fast food doesn’t mix well. @jaifaim I doubt I’ll reach my target either, as I’m now 11 lbs away from it, but as you said, we’ll see…

I am doing a ZBC today, which will be an easy 16:8. I might luck out and be able to do an OMAD. I’m not pressuring myself to do a FD today in fear of Friday, but we’ll see. Sunday/Monday will be B2B WFDs. I need a major reset. Easter did a lot more damage than anticipated.

Day 22 – 16:8 CD

@stitchincarol I’ve been thinking about your post and the question of Feeling full. And I’ve been thinking of the opposite – feeling hungry. Me, I walk around mostly in a state of feeling not hungry (very different from full, tho I might politely say I’m full of I decline an offer of food.) if I am not at all hungry, I try not to eat. But I am often both ‘not hungry’ AND have a taste for something. Historically that was my danger zone. I’m getting better managing it. Telling myself to wait for the next meal to eat xxx.

But the feeling full (but not too full) sensation is elusive to me – The only tips I have (that help me with satiety) are fats and potatoes. If I have an adequate (not too much) amount of fat at my meal, I feel sated. On nights that are less fat heavy, potatoes never fail me. This knowledge has been exactly what I needed in my arsenal this time round. If I have a taste for a certain snack, I tell myself I can have it as desert. But only after I’ve had a salad or potato with my regular dinner. So if I still have that taste, by then a little is all I need.

@matpi I am astonished to say the experiment went perfectly. Adding flax and chia seeds resulted in no taste/flavor change, a slight added thickening funniness (chia) as if I had okra in the stew. And a potassium/fiber/ omega 3 punch that is welcome in my dietary intake (I do not eat seafood or fish). I will have eight to ten servings I can freeze and it will be tonight’s dinner. (I always eat braised meat dishes after a stint in the refrigerator overnight – I think the taste is more flavorful that way.)

@jaifaim LOL, I guess we’ll know if those neighbors build a treehouse how much the word has spread! I have been working hard the past few months on balance exercises (because I’m a naturally clumsy dyspraxic) and I think it is paying off – being able to walk and move side to side while hooping is becoming much easier.

@funshipfreddie Goodness- how wonderful not to even think about snacking on a FD. I wish that happened more often to me.

@linda.b Kangaroos can’t walk backwards? Wow, fun fact! I love nifty pieces of trivia like that!

Had some good sleep the past few nights and am in a good mood and reved up to go! My sister recommended some CDB sleep aid drops to me and they seem to be doing a good job. Sleeping through the night is difficult with the constant reoccurring hot flashes, but I seem to be getting deeper sleep between them with the CDB drops.

Ok, sending happy thoughts to everyone, enjoy your Friday!

USA. Day 22. FD

I didn’t see a pocket list, so I will start one.

Pocket List Day 22
    @ccco

I messed up yesterday and earned an extra half of a pound, which I immediately will dispose of!! I have been so tired recently, so I thought it might be due to not eating enough. I ate more yesterday but still feel tired. I guess that isn’t the reason. It must be result of all the efforts we were making to help my brother. Anyway, I will rid myself of that extra 1/2 lb. today!

Have a great day, everyone!

Day 22 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

Yesterday’s WFD went well, although I again resorted to gum to get through the last couple hours. It’s worth pointing out I needed gum not because I was so hungry–I wasn’t–but because I so longed for SOME flavor in my mouth, and for something to chew. It’s amazing to me that chewing is such a treasured part of a body’s daily routines.

I weigh 139.8 this morning. We’re going to the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha today, and then out for the oysters we didn’t do on Monday. With some of the Easter leftovers for lunch–not much!–I’ll be “safe” from snacking since I won’t be in the house. Fridays are always when I feel we ought to eat nicely, so I usually get carried away with eating; having a controlled Friday will feel like a miracle.

@linda.b What a fun piece of trivia about kangaroos! I will most definitely use that.

@matpi Sadly, at some point last week, I was eating planned food, realized I felt full enough…and kept eating. The longing for food was stronger than my longing for getting thinner. You can bet I’m going to be watching for that feeling to show up again, and will react appropriately next time!

Thanks, @i-hate-lettuce, for taking the time to describe so beautifully your day. I could hear and smell and feel it.

@daffodil2010 Oh, that’s such a shame. I know several children who are in similar situations, and it breaks my heart as well. Food dangers, indeed.

@funshipfreddie Comical about the BBC, especially since she was talking about “the east coast” when the only coastline involved was a TINY snippet on the west coast! As to feeling full, I seldom eat because I’m too hungry not to; I eat because I want the flavor, I want the chewing, I want the experience. It’s a sensory thing. And if you just keep nibbling, you can ingest lots of calories long before you feel “full.” I love wine for the same sensory reasons: I love holding the glass and using a finger to secure the stem as I tip it up and the sound and the sensation of sipping. (The taste is nice, too, but it’s not what drives me to enjoy wine.) (And, I love beer because I love beer; there’s nothing sensory about it, LOL.) So how do you take all that love of sensory and limit calories? It’s a challenge!

@mariaelena I used to serve/have potatoes or rice at every meal, and that does really help with the feeling of completeness and fullness…with a willingness to be done eating. I’m still figuring out what my body needs to successfully get and remain thin, and am certain what I do to get thin will not necessarily be what I do to remain thin. At least I hope it’s different, because I want bread back in my life as a regular occurrence rather than an occasional guest. By the way, can you give specifics about your hula hooping? I’m toying with doing it, and with a little research yesterday, realized I don’t have any idea where to start.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts on being full, and how we recognize that. My definition of the word isn’t “stuffed” but “enough food is in me that I’m content to stop eating.” One thing I’ve learned for certain is that I’ll never get “full” when I nibble; to be “full,” I require a plate and a lovely variety of textures and flavors. A dinner, in other words. I don’t always act on that knowledge, but I know it to be true for me. That’s what will make today a good day eating-wise, because I can control lunch, and then leave the house for the afternoon, and my next eating opportunity will be in a restaurant where a plate is involved and nibbling on nuts will not be. 😂😂😂

I have an event tomorrow morning that will include a breakfast of sweets and calories, so today I will work on strengthening my RESOLVE to swerve it all.

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 22 UK NFD

Oh @stitchincarol 🍺&🥂- my downfall!! For short periods when I’m going low carb I can make do with slimline G&Ts but the weathers improving here and there’s nothing I like better than a good walk followed by a few beers , holding pretty steady on DTF and trying to cut down at the weekend but some habits are very hard to break .

Have a good weekend all

Day 22 – UK – CD

Sadly my planned B2B FDs did not materialise – yesterday ended up a TDEE day and today a CD but I will take that!

Joined DD and her friend for a Beagle meet (3 🐶🐶🐶 in total) at Silecroft beach and her friend’s mum joined as well so Daughters, Mothers and Beagles enjoyed a windblown but warm walk on the beach for over an hour, lots of play and aroooing by the beagles – We then went for another walk with her Archie for another hour before enjoying a very yummy iced coffee overlooking the sea – perfect weather for it too 😎 covered nearly 8km!

@linda.b – ‘kangaroos can’t walk backwards’ I too wonder how they discovered that..? 🤔
    @stitchincarol – lovely to end up with some nice jewellery to wear and enjoy from your workshop
    @i-hate-lettuce – I know the area you mentioned but not specifically the tarn – sounds lovely with amazing views too!
    @daffodil2010 – lovely to have this space to say and share as it helps us to offload 🤗
    @jaifaim – yes we are here and that is what has stopped my weight from going too much above the top of maintenance range!
    @northgeorgia – you will get back in control and will get lower numbers – you know you can do this 💪 most of us also find it hard to maintain some control on NFDs…….just persevere and you will be rewarded!
    @stitchincarol – my downfalls are fresh sourdough🍞- nice 🧀 and of course🍷🥂- If any weight creeps back on I cut back on these and the extra 1-2 kg disappear soon enough – now just to learn to control these temptations 🤣
    @ccco – it seems you are the only one fasting but a few of us are on CDs so we are with you today trying to stay in control 🤗

Pocket List Day 22
    @ccco

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 23 – Saturday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – NFD 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Just a quick accountability post… walked 90 minutes this morning … in the on/off/on rain🤣
    Washed the car… in the rain🤣

Now going shopping … in the rain🤣

Going to a friend’s party this evening, so have lots to do and birthday present to buy….what will I wear etc etc .. why, oh why am I always running late?

Have a lovely weekend everyone 🥰

Day 22 Ohio, US — MFD

The morning weigh-in was a shocker: 186 lb (84.4 kg)! I hypothesize (hope?) that the majority of that gain is water weight, since the arm where I got the tetanus shot is still quite swollen and sore. I’ve also noticed that the outflow of water has been much reduced over the last couple of days. So perhaps the reaction to the shot has caused a body wide inflammation? Because of the reaction, my exercise time has been way down. In any case, a third FD seemed in order. With any luck the scales will be kinder tomorrow morning.

@ccco It looks like you and I are holding down the fasting fort today!

@mariaelena One thing I’ve done to have some bread in my life is to use what they call around here “Light” Bread. It’s sliced bread, but with only half the calories that regular bread has. With lots of vegetables in a sandwich made from this “light”bread, it’s quite as satisfying as a regular bread sandwich.

Pocket List Day 22
    @ccco
    @matpi

Day 23 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone,

What a fabulous week that was, maintained my lower weigh in from the previous Friday, feeling very chilled and relaxed. Nice day ahead Mrs I-h-l and I, we are off to the plant nurseries today to stock up the greenhouse with summer bedding plants for the containers.

Sleep… vital, beneficial, heals, mends and good for you! We have all suffered at some time or other from lack of sleep, be it from working shifts/stress/illness and a host of other reasons.
    I know what it was like working shifts in a very stressful occupation and year before last, quite serious treatment for illness, which took some recovering from.

I’m not often one to promote ideas/web pages etc, but for many years I have used a breathing technique that I was taught during training by a very well respected PTI. It has helped many times over the years and it works for me, it makes sense and is very easy, don’t push it or try too hard, it does take practice though.

The link should take you to Wim Hof and instruction as to the exercise, this is what I have used for many years, the fit bit shows that most nights I sleep deeply for 2 hours (sometimes as many as 3) light sleep for 6 hours, nearly always a full 8 hours.
    I found it particularly useful when recovering from Cancer, last thing in the day went to bed and did the exercises, they really helped.

The breathing exercise instructions on this site are free to use, they are exactly as I was taught 43 years ago and I still use today.

https://www.wimhofmethod.com/breathing-exercises

Take care all.

Day 23 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@mariaelena – I’m not saying I don’t feel hungry on FDs; just that it’s become routine now. I know what I’m going to eat & when, so peeking in the fridge & ‘fancying something’ just doesn’t happen on FD’s.

@stitchincarol – I understand what you mean re wanting the sensory experience; just eating to entertain ones taste buds really. And it’s the same with drinking too; well, sort of. But I also think habit is the biggest culprit. I only drink after dinner, & I sometimes find myself wolfing down my meal just to get it out of the way so I can have a drink. Which can’t be good?! And the whole glass experience, I get that too. If I’m just having soda I’ll sometimes still put it in a wine glass, thinking I can trick my brain into believing I’m still having a drink. Doesn’t quite work. If only it was that simple! 🤨

@linda.b – I tried the Globle game – thanks! Yesterday I got to Libya, which I think was about 700 kms from the actual answer; & I’m still not sure what the answer was, duh? I need a lot of practice!

@i-hate-lettuce – I’ll check out those breathing exercises, thanks.

Happy St George’s Day to my fellow English fasters 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Have a good weekend everyone ⛅️ 🌈

Day 23 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 212 lbs. Yesterday did turn into a FD, with just a little effort — so my first Fasting Friday wasn’t too bad. Today’s a refeed before the B2B WFDs starting on Sunday. I gained about 2.5 lbs averaged over last week, but today’s weigh-in is the 2nd lowest Saturday weigh-in ever, so I think this was a much needed reset to get me headed into the 200s for May.

@matpi Yes, but I was just in Macon and back in a day — kind of disappointing to drive so much and not see the beach! I’m about an hour north of Athens.

@at Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel next week should start the trend downward again.

Good luck, all!

Day 23 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD

May I talk about the weather? First of all, do you non-Americans know Rogers and Hammerstein’s “Oklahoma”? (I’m sure those of us in the States know it on some level.) It’s a great musical, and one of the most famous songs from it, also “Oklahoma” (which happens to be two states south of me) has the line “…and the wind comes sweeping down the plain.”

Well, the wind is sweeping right now. Has been sweeping for two weeks now, and swept very vigorously last night. Do you realize how loud the wind can be when sweeping??

On top of that, the temperatures shot from a cool 53/11 on Easter to 89/31 yesterday. And the low last night? It’s 6am and it’s still only down to 71/21.

Ugh.

That’s summer sleeping weather, and to add in the noise of the wind? Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Here, see what it looks like (we’re a bit south and to the east of where it’s circling together; click on it a couple of times of Omaha shows up, and we’re just to the west of that): http://hint.fm/wind/

Okay, back to 5:2. DH and I had an absolutely perfect day yesterday, but I managed to add in more food–including nibbling–than I’d planned on. Funny how I can do two WFs each week, but haven’t yet found the RESOLVE to control myself on Fridays. We’ll see if I do better today.

@brightonbelle Yeah, I can get through cold weather okay without beers, but hot weather? That’s asking a bunch, LOL!

@at What a lovely time you had with DD, her friend and her mum!

@matpi That’s no fun to see an unexpectedly high number on the scale, but I’m sure it’ll drop quickly as your arm recovers. I imagine my number is ugly-high also, but it’s because of yesterday’s ill behavior and it’s not unexpected, so I just haven’t bothered to find out! 😂😂😂

@i-hate-lettuce Loved the information, and loved the breathing exercise (I did it) so thanks! I’m going to make an effort to do it daily; breathing can’t be anything be good for me!

@funshipfreddie Yup, “entertaining one’s tastebuds.” It’s a challenge. It was lovely when our kids were young; I was so determined to teach them good eating habits (no snacking between meals, very little juice, very little candy, veggies at every meal) that it was tough for me to sneak nibbles, which is likely a large part of why I maintained a decent weight for the years we were raising children.

@northgeorgia Nice weigh in today!

Lots to do today, but all fun stuff. Well, reasonably fun, LOL. Have a grand one, everyone!

second post

Have you all tried Nerdle? It’s a numbers-version of Wordle. nerdlegame 94 3/6

🟪⬛⬛⬛⬛🟪🟩⬛
    🟩🟪🟪⬛🟩🟩🟩⬛
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Day 23 USA (Illinois) NFD

Flowing along with weather variations that are keeping us on our toes! Snow, rain, sun, wind, 20’s up to 70’s (-5 C to 25 C) but very typical for spring here. DH was happy to get the lawn fertilized, so now it goes over to mowing!

@i-hate-lettuce — I just had to examine your Wim Hof breathing exercises. If I understood and experimented correctly with it, much of the work is very similar to singing. We singers have often said how good it is for health! https://takelessons.com/live/singing/health-benefits-of-singing

@stitchincarol – do I dare try Nerdle? I am already hooked on Wordle, Quordle, and Antiwordle! Then again I do Brain Candy daily as well as Trivia Crack and Question-of-the-day. Enough, right?!

Onward and downward.

Day 23 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅🚶🏻‍♀️

Happy Saturday everyone!
    Just in from a very long breezy walk 👍 and had a lovely night last night. Had some alcohol – first time in a good few weeks. Was a lovely catch up but my sinus’ are now and that’s enough of a sign to me… not worth it… 😬 so tonight I’ll be out again but on the dry 🚫.

Thank you for the link on breathing exercises @i-hate-lettuce. I am not consistent when it comes to bedtime routine – winding down etc so very interested to try the Wimhof instructions and impressed that you have used this method for so many years… he is such an interesting character and the subject of many conversations over here with friends over the past few years… 😊 I see he also features in a new BBC show. That was a surprise 😮.

@matpi that does seem strange to have such a gain and I’d say you are right… your body is holiding into water… hopefully it will flush out soon 🤞

@stitchincarol & funshipfreddie I had never thought about it before 🤔 but I think I am also a sensory eater… I love crunchy food, different textures on my plate, for example I couldn’t eat a shop bought sandwich without a crunchy pack of crisps… I also would rarely order/eat a plate of just one thing (like risotto, gnocchi etc)

Must look up the menu for tonight’s restaurant and plan what might be a good choice. Looking forward to it already… I’m hungry already 🤣

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 23 – 16:8 CD

Ate well within limits yesterday. Got in some extra exercise as Apple Watch had a special earth day challenge. I swear, there is an audience for an exercise gamification app, the small things I have found are very motivational but limited.

@Ihatelettuce – I’m going to try that breathing technique- I do Pranayama breathing a few time a day now.

We inherited a platform bed frame from relatives doing some redecorating- I’m excited because it will allow for underbed storage. As our mattress is propped against the wall we were reminded how much our Manx cats love to climb. They will be so disappointed when we finish everything and put the bed back in place on the new frame. They have been so adorable to watch.

And, although we deep cleaned a few weeks ago, it is always a shocker to see underneath the bed. How did that Kleenex box and a unopened bag of cotton balls end up under there? The seamstress measuring tape, well sure, I can see the cats were playing with that but hmmm.

Stew on the menu again today. Was delicious yesterday. Lol, it is way more veggies than meat – but I diced the stew meat small, so more browning in the meat meant it still tastes like my mom’s traditional meat stew. Healthier without sacrificing taste, I’ll take that win.

Have a great weekend all!

2nd post

@stitchincarol – Hoop exercise- the basic (counterintuitive) thing to understand: lighter/smaller hoops mean harder! At your height I’d recommend starting with a 36”hoop, padded and 1.5 lb max. Any heavier and you risk bruising and imo it isn’t good for the back.

It took me well over a week until I could keep it up longer than a few seconds. That is not uncommon and okay. You will be getting in movement picking the darn thing off the floor and trying again. Then all of a sudden it ‘clicked’ and I kept it up 5 minutes. The next day 15.

If after a week you still have trouble keeping it up around your waist, there are a lot of YouTube ‘starter tip’ videos that can help. Just remember the movement to keep the hoop up is a hip move front and back, or side to side.

For months, my workout was really just keeping the hoop going. Music too! For me it was 70’s funk and dance music since then. A random playlist and kinda dancing in place while hooping kept it fresh and fun. Don’t forget, to do it clockwise AND counterclockwise. Once that workout felt easy and no longer elevated my heart rate I began to experiment with incorporating movement and lighter/smaller hoops.

That is a basic starter idea. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Day 23 Ohio, US — NFD

An amazing day: Beautiful sun and a high temperature of 85 F (29 C)! And just a week ago we had below freezing temperatures and snow! More good news: the weigh-in this morning was 184 lb, so probably my hypothesis was correct. The arm is still swollen, but perhaps water stored elsewhere in the body has gotten cleaned out.

@jaifaim I too like crunchy food. At one time my favorite dessert was Grape Nuts cereal sprinked on vanilla ice cream. My friends complained that my eating that was for them like listening to someone eating ground glass. (Although I can’t imagine how they could have listened to someone eating that!)

@stitchincarol In the 1960’s version of Jules Verne’s “Around the World in Eighty Days” Phineas Fogg and company traverse the US midwest on a railway flat car propelled by the wind in a sail they installed on the car. Really and truly, that wind is no fiction!

@ihatelettuce Do you find the fitbit useful for health improvement? I’ve been thinking about getting one, but am not sure just what I would do with it. It may be like my salad spinner. I got one and after the novelty wore off, it just sat in a cupboard for several years. Then something clicked and now I use it three or four days a week!

Day 24 – Sunday– Gold Coast Queensland Australia – NFD 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Repeat of yesterday’s walk:- walked 90 minutes this morning … in the on/off/on rain🤣

@funshipfreddie glad you tried GLOBLE. Unlike WORDLE you have unlimited attempts and there are only 195 countries to choose!🤣🤣 I’m improving my geography exponentially!😅😄😃
    Now I see recommendations from @songbirdme & @stitchincarol for Quordle, Antiwordle, Brain Candy,Trivia Crack, Question-of-the-day and Nerdle. Uh Oh! I could be in trouble here. They will all feed into my innate talent of procrastination!🙄🙄

Tomorrow (Monday) is ANZAC Day which is our National day of remembrance for “our fallen soldiers who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations and the contribution and suffering of all those who have served”. I assume that USA Memorial Day and UK Remembrance Day are similar.

Traditionally (pre-COVID) 1000s of people would gather at the beach at dawn for the commemorative dawn service but that was halted during Covid lockdowns.

So where I live (and most everywhere), I started our own neighbourhood dawn service (5.30am-6.00am), during the last two years of COVID lockdowns, when my neighbours came to gather in my driveway (1.5m apart, wearing masks!) under my beautiful tree with the kookaburras and magpies singing along, while we listen to the broadcast dawn service, the LAST POST, two minutes silence and then Reveille. We call it LIGHT UP THE DAWN with everyone holding a candle. No one speaks, it is very quiet, reflective and respectful. We have some neighbour’ children come along in their pyjamas and dressing gowns, proudly wearing their great grandfather’s medals.
    So even though the COVID lockdown is now over, we have decided to continue our neighbourhood dawn commemoration again tomorrow …….. and just hope the rain holds off for 30 minutes!

Then I’ll be off on my 90 minute walk 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️ and so looking forward to my 2nd last FUN DAY (FD) for AMAZING APRIL.
    So for the last week of the APRIL campaign I’ll be trying really hard to gallop down the straight with my April goal firmly in sight.
    oops! Just checked the April spreadsheet ….. not good.. can see it’s going to be a challenge! But in the wise words of Chuck Palahniuk, “It’s going to be hard, but hard is not impossible.” …. and, if not, then there’s May!😍😍

cheerie dearies… have a lovely Sunday up there! 😀😊😀

Day 24 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Successful day yesterday, the plant nursery we have used for years has closed due to owners retirement, so the hunt had been on for a new source of summer bedding plants. Yesterday Mrs I-h-l and I headed out on a route to take in a few nurseries, the second one we went to, (ironically very quick and easy to get to, a quick hop down the motorway) fit the bill perfectly! A proper plant growing nursery, no shop or cafe, just plants, stacks of them, sensibly priced and family run, our greenhouse is now full, a great find!

Finished the day off with a visit to the village hall and sports field joining in with their fun day, although we didn’t join any of the fell races we did help out with the beer drinking 😉

@songbirdme – get what you say about singing, but for those with a poor singing voice, this version is a bit quieter 😉 and of course was particularly useful after treatment when I could hardly speak and couldn’t swallow etc also good for helping with pain control.

@matpi – re fitbit, the ‘kids’ bought us one each for Christmas a few years ago. As much as anything else it encourages you to get your backside off the settee and go out for a walk or just be busy. We reckon to do 5 to 7 k steps a day minimum (but at a good pace ie MOAM walk) other than that anything up to 15 or occasionally 20k, it’s surprising how we clock up the miles. There are a range of things you can monitor, heart and sleep patterns amongst them. So yes, we use/wear them all the time and not only that, they also tell the time 😉

Take care all

Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@stitchincarol – Nerdle – nooo?! I had a quick look, & when I saw what it involved I just had thoughts of tax returns & bad memories of maths homework 🤦‍♂️ I may try some of the other games @songbirdme mentioned; & I like the idea of Globle giving unlimited attempts. If you haven’t tried today’s Wordle btw, it was a stinker 😳 I persevered & got very lucky on the 4th attempt.

@matpi – ditto what @i-hate-lettuce said re the Fitbit. I can’t imagine being without mine now. The only time I take it off is when I’m in the shower or charging it for a few minutes. It really does make you aware of how much or little you’re moving. I aim for 8500 steps minimum but usually finish up higher. It’s so clever. They even send you an email if your battery gets too low 😅

Going for a FD today, because I just know I won’t feel like it tomorrow

Pocket List – Day 24 🍌
    @funshipfreddie

Day 24 – Ireland – NFD 🚫 ✅ 🚴‍♀️

@songbirdme I think singing is great for the soul 💕 I am going to try apply myself to the breathing technique this week and see how it goes.. I’ve lapsed with my mindfulness/yoga etc so need to get back to a little bit of zen.

@matpi 😂 yes crunch can sometimes be an issue for people listening to us sensory eaters tucking in… my friend loses the plot when people eat crisps… I think it’s a actual condition 😂

@funshipfreddie I just got today’s wordle in 4… I think I’m getting worse at wordle not better 😮 I looked at Globle but I must not have read the instructions properly as couldn’t work out what I was at 😂 I’m a bit distracted this weekend …

Happy Anzac Day for tomorrow @linda.b 🎉 we used to celebrate it in work (PC 🦠 of course ) with treats from Australia and New Zealand… maybe they will tomorrow…. We’ll see.

I have had two really lovely catch-up nights out, one lovely lunch, 100km spin with a great group this morning with delicious cake and I’ve been refeeding since I got back 😂 (inc. crunchy crisps – it’s the salt 🧂). I’m not sure what the numbers will say in the morning but we’ll see.. and it was important for me to do all this this weekend as I’ve been lying very low…

Ok might have to lie down now… 💤 😂

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 24 – UK – CD
    Day 23 – NFD

What great weather we have bean so lucky to have over the weekend 😎

Yesterday was definitely a NFD but I did a lovely hike up to Wansfell Pike – 6.85km 442m – In the evening OH and I enjoyed a lovely meal from Rick Stein – *Marinated salmon with passion fruit, green chilli and lime *Hake with soy butter, tomato and coriander and spring onion mash potato *Lemon tart with clotted cream and accompanied by a rather yummy Saumur Rose

Today has been a more controlled so far – did a great hike – 12.67km 317m – to see the bluebells that are blooming everywhere around here – walked to Jeffy Knotts Wood (a well known bluebell area) and was lucky enough to see some deers in the woods – then to Skelwith for a coffee and back home over Loughrigg and across to Lily Tarn and down Fishgarths Wood (where on Easter Sunday hardly any bluebells to be seen – today the forest floor was carpeted in bluebells!!!)

Prawn curry planned for tonight so should end up as a CD – setting me up for a Monday FD

Have not been brave enough to step on the scales since the beginning of the month – will wait and see what I weigh at the end of the challenge 🤣 – 🤞within my maintenance range!!

Day 24 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 216 lbs. That’s a pound lighter from last Sunday, and 2 lbs heavier than my lowest Sunday weigh-in. Wasn’t so well behaved yesterday, and I’m up 4 lbs in a day. I’ve examined my calendar and plan a change of tactic similar to what I did this past week. I won’t do a B2B WFD this week. I’ll space out my WFDs to today, Tuesday, and Thursday. Although I have an event on Thursday afternoon, it’s only for a couple of hours and I plan to leave for home afterwards — it’s a bit of a haul, so it’ll be 7:30 or so when I get home. Then I’m taking Friday off. The ADF approach should see me through Friday. Then probably B2B WFDs to start off the month of May!

It’s been disappointing to hit the low 200s in early March, only to find myself back in the mid-210s now. In fact, I have only hit 209 (and nothing lower) just once this month. The trend has been weight gain in fact. But the past few days are showing a slight decline, so hopefully the gain has peaked. Next month has a few events: Mother’s Day, a family reunion, and Memorial Day. I’m going to have to be aggressively strategic in preparation.

Pocket List – Day 24 🍌
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 24 – 16:8 CD

Weigh in 136 – so that is a nice portion of vacation weight down. Current plan is to have approx 130 as the center weight of my maintenance so slowly losing now is a big win. I’m comfortably inside the healthy bmi but want a bit more clearance away from the top (approx 142) to feel comfortable. Plus, the Dr office will weigh me fully clothed, and lol I want that chart to read healthy weight and get out of there without the lose weight handout they always have given me.

Lazy weekend here, and enjoying it!

Warm wishes to all.

Day 25 – Monday – Gold Coast Queensland Australia – FUN DAY (FD) 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

ANZAC DAY here and, although I was actually up at 5.00am, three neighbours thoughtfully rang me at 5.10am to check I was up! O ye of little faith! Is it because I’m now a single lady that maybe I can’t be trusted? Oh noooooo! They just wanted to give a hand setting up (they said 🤣🤣) … surprisingly because guess what?….. yup it was raining👿👿🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧.. of course! I know, I know that in a couple of years I’ll be the very one complaining about the next drought and lack of rain! But, for goodness sake, we are waterlogged! Enough of the rain for now!😜

So there we stood at dawn, huddled under our umbrellas (thank goodness everyone has fake candles these days🤣) … even the kookaburras didn’t rally until the Reveille at the end ….. Strangely (not!) not as big a turnout as previous years but the stalwarts always turn up with staunch determination and all of us collectively willing the rain to STOP! (but it didn’t!)
    A previous neighbour gal pal friend turned up with her little Frenchie 🐕 (Louie), we used to walk together in the early mornings when she lived hereabouts, so, after our ANZAC service, we set off for a tramp like old times…. in the rain 🌧🌧🌧 with our brollies. Luckily, we found the one and only local coffee shop open and enjoyed a light breakfast and much needed cuppa☕☕ before setting off again … in the rain…🌧🌧🌧🌧
    Home now, drying out, washing to be done… and some work in the office coming up this afternoon (coz that’s what new single ladies who don’t have a life do🥰🥰🥰 ) .. upside of it is that will be prepared for tomorrow… ha ha.😉

So I’ll start the Pocket List for the 25th
    (the 2nd last FD for me for AMAZING APRIL… will you join me today?
    @linda.b

Day 24 Ohio, US — NFD

This is just to check in, since I’m not feeling so hot. Apparently I ate something yesterday that has really disagreed with my system; that coupled with allergies has made this day much more unpredictable that usual.

Day 25 – Lake district UK – FD

Good morning everyone

Off out early to another lake I’ve not visited for a few years, quick call in for today pocket list.

Take care all

pocket list day 25
    @linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 25 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Quick hello, talk later

Day 25 – Ireland – FD 🚫 ✅ 🚶🏻‍♀️

Happy Anzac Day to all!

Quick check in… fasting today but expect to be quite hungry after this weekend so will hope it goes well…

Ok everyone … one week… let’s see what we can do with this 💪💪💪

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket list Day 25
    @linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

PFDS for me! Feels even better on a Monday.

@matpi – hope you’re feeling better soon 🤗

@linda.b – nice to hear your ANZAC Day ceremony went well, despite the grotty weather. I’m sure ANZAC day is also observed in some parts of the UK & France too.

Sending steely RESOLVE to today’s fasters 🎯

Day 25 – USA/GA – NFD/ZBC

Weigh-in: 212 lbs. Going for an OMAD today or at least restricting my window to about 4 hours this afternoon/early evening. I want to see what happens with an occasional OMAD thrown in between WFDs does for me. Last WFD was yesterday, and next one will be tomorrow (then Thursday).

Have a fantastic day!

Day 25 UK FD

Usual Monday reset , looking to make this week a good one 💪

Pocket list Day 25🌼
    @linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle

USA. Day 25. FD

Pocket List Day 25

@linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco

Day 25 USA (Illinois) FD

Joining in today for a FD. Have a great week, fellow fasters!

Pocket List Day 25

@linda.b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @jaifaim
    @brightonbelle
    @ccco
    @songbirdme

Onward and downward.

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – Whatever I want

I’m trying something. I don’t have a name for what I’m trying, but I’m trying it, because I’m sick to death of my weight fluctuating by five pounds or more each and every week, and having zero RESOLVE on Fridays and Saturdays. My only rule? If I want it, I eat it, and in the process I try to recapture the Always-Aware-of-Restraint that I had for the first forty-plus years of my life. I’m currently up 8 pounds since last Friday morning. No, I haven’t eaten 28K calories since then, so I haven’t actually gained 8 pounds…I’ve probably gained one actual pound because of the extra calories; the rest is just bulk/water weight. Will I regret this decision? Maybe. But my choices have been far too extreme–WF on Thursday, eat like a wild woman on Friday–so I need to focus on reasonable. And while I focus on that, I’m not leaving the forum, because I still want to lose weight, and still love 5:2, but I sure don’t love my current way of living it.

@mariaelena Did you actually pay $20+ for your hula hoop? And do you just have a round one, or do you have the kind with a ball attached it? I’m astonished that hula hoops are no longer $3, LOL!

second post

I wanted to get that out before @mariaelena posted, so now I’ll respond to posts. 😜

@matpi Indeed, that wind is NOT fiction! From car doors whipping open and slamming into the car next to it, to hair standing on end, to walking outside with a cup of coffee and having the coffee blow out of the cup, to walking in a different direction than intended because the wind blew me that way–those are all things everyone around here is struggling against. Thankfully, the wind is only half as strong today, and we’ll all be so very thankful.

@linda.b Your Light Up the Dawn description sounds lovely and meaningful.

@funshipfreddie Too funny about your aversion to Nerdle. Here’s how it works for me: I figure out something to type in the first line. I look at the results, and as I’m struggling with something to type into the second line, I think “What in the world is fun about this???” I look at the results, and as I’m figuring out what to type into the third line, I’m completely absorbed in figuring out the answer. I really am a numbers person, which explains my love of playing piano/organ: if you aren’t a numbers person, you aren’t a pianist/organist, because playing is all about the patterns, which is a form of numbers. When I was in college, all my fellow music majors loved talking about the article that one of us had read about the big companies hiring all the very-best-accountants they could get, and then skipping over the second-best-accountants and hiring the very-best-musicians: the companies said it was much easier to turn an excellent musician into an excellent accountant than to turn a second-rate accountant into an excellent accountant. 🤣🤣🤣😇 Oh, and YES, today’s Wordle was awful, and I did NOT get it.

Have a grand one, everyone!

FD -USA – New Jersey
    Day 25th of the month
    (8th day on 5:2)

Love reading all these posts. Had planned on a FD yesterday but the boyfriend bought home pizza, so I gave in, (not intended) and switched up a fasting day to today. Learning the ropes again, but I think I’ll leave the fasting days to during the week. (Now I know the dangers of “giving in” but coming off a successful week of doing 5:2, I also considered how successful I’ll be today – Monday- and realized the odds were very much stacked in my favor so I switched it up.). Anyone else do the same?

Got on the scale on Saturday and I think I’m down about 2 pounds. I know the first week can be a “big” week, but was really happy. I’ll wait till this Friday or Saturday to confirm it’s not a fluke! Just Kidding. I”m also getting pounded by Allergies up here. I love spring, but this is bad. Trying to maintain the workout schedule but it’s hard when you feel like crap. I’ll be nice to myself…..I’m sure what I need is rest.

Have a lovely week! 🙂

Great to see so many here today as I have a quick read of posts before an evening hill walk…
    Oh and @stitchincarol I just had to go see how awful today’s word was… I got it in 3 😂. There are some days where you start off well. Much better than my day at work. 😠 so feeling a little better 😊
    Have a lovely evening all 👍

Day 25 FD 800

On track. More (of the mostly veg) stew on the menu today.

@stitchincarol – I don’t recommend the type with the ball attached, they are pretty new to the market and I know nothing about them. I picked up my starter hoop at goodwill, but yes, they cost about $20 new. They are much sturdier and stronger than child $3 hoops – which are so light and flimsy, I’m only recently strong enough to keep a child “play” hoop up around my waist for a full workout. The nice thing about the padded weighted ones, is they usually disassemble (mine does) so I can remove a section for a smaller lighter one so it is like getting two different hoops for one price.

If you have a sporting goods store near you you might be able to go in and see how different they are from the typical play hoop. They are really more of a piece of workout equipment than the typical hula hoops you probably remember – which weigh a few oz at most and have about 1/4 inch diameter compared to 1-2 pounds and approx 1 inch diameter.

Honestly if I had tried with the play hula hoop to start I don’t think I would have been successful at keeping the hoop moving. Even now 6+ mos in, I fail some days the light play hoop going and revert back to the padded weighted one.

Got to run here. Crazy busy agenda today. Well wishes to all!

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply.