Alzheimer's apoe 3 and 4 gene

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi all,

does anyone know of the effects of fasting in those with the apoe 3 and 4 gene present I.e an increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s?

I know little about the topic, and keen to learn more!

Many thanks

Hi Bingeingqueen, just replying to your post re apoe 3 and 4 regarding Alzheimers.
    I am not a medical person and any advice I give you is to be treated with healthy scepticism and you must do your own research and come to your own conclusions.
    Go to GOOGLE SCHOLAR. When on the site type in “Fasting and Alzheimers”. A list of medical research documents will appear. One is on SCIENCE DIRECT, research by VKM Halagappa et al. You will get an abstract of research done on mice that will give you some info. The final sentence in the abstract reads- “We conclude that CR (calorie restriction) and IF (intermitent fasting) dietary regimes can ameliorate age related deficits in cognitive functions by mechanisms that may or may not be related to A3 and Tau pathologies”.
    Also in Google Scholar type in the search box, “Turmeric and Alzheimers”. Again, a lot of research documents about a component of Turmeric, Curcumin and its possible effects on Alzheimers. In relation to Turmeric I make my own capsules up using a capsule machine and double OO size capsules available from Amazon using organic Turmeric. Now that is just me believing in the possible effects of Turmeric on Alzheimers.
    I must caution you again that I am not a medical man and the above comments are a result of research available that has come to no definitive conclusions so you must make your own judgements.
    I hope this info helps.
    Good luck.

That’s so kind thank you so much. Well there are some things one can do that ry isn’t a hardship and the tumeric I may as well do. That information is fantastic thank you. I just wonder if it will help those with the apoe e4 too (I have one three and one four) and from what I’m reading the e4 seem to be less influenced by environmental factors- a bit worrying as I had a great grandparent with Alzheimer’s.

I really appreciate that though thank you CPUs Cous, despite not being a medical man it was really useful.

Hello Bingingqueen and thank you for your kind response. One thing I did forget to mention was to simply Google Valta Longo. He is one of the research scientists Michael Mosley interviewed and who helped him develop the 5:2 fasting program. You will find some interesting and important updates into the effects of fasting particularly in the field of cell regeneration and cancer treatment. Also simply click on many of the research references mentioned in some of the articles they may take you to other sites of interest. Other posters may find his updated research interesting also.
    Again, good luck.

Thank you Couscous! I am doing lots of reading.

One thing I have also noticed is there seems to be a correlation between poor sleep and brain health. I know fasting days my sleep is pretty much zero, so I wonder if this may have a negative effect in the longterm. However, thinking that the fasting diet may help prevent or delay alzheimer’s is such a motivator.

Thanks again. I’m now googling Valta Longo.

Hello Bingeingqueen, yes I understand about the sleep issue and I suffer from it myself. Check out the subject in the faq section and other health related posts. I have a mind calming practice that sometimes helps. Simply concentrate on your breathing and feel it coursing through your body. Starting on a count of 50 count backwards at the end of each breath. Your mind will wander. When it does, recognise this and simply start again from 50 down to zero. Practice the count during the day also. This helps me on some difficult nights to calm my mind and to sleep. Failing all else visit youtube for sleep and meditation excercises or consider meditation classes.
    Good luck.

Hi All,

I’m undertaking this diet in hopes of Alzheimer’s delay in onset or prevention? Incredibly strong familial Alzheimer’s, two full generations of women. I’m only in my late 40’s, but hope to delay as long as possible. I found some strong evidence that fasting may delay, but wondering if you have any additional resources?

Hi Pinkglasses and hopefully Bingeingqueen. Remember, any comments I make are that of only a lay person, I have no medical training or experience. My concern with Alzheimers and Dementia is as a result of my experience in transporting such elderly patients to hospital for treatment. I re-iterate my previous advice to Bingeingqueen to research Google Scholar. I have also Googled “Google Advanced Search” in the Google search engine. When you do this you will see Google Scholar Advanced” appear along with a list of similar sites. Click the “Advanced” site.
    When this opens you will see a list of questions. Against “All of these words” type in the following – “Okinawa Diet Alzheimers”. Against “Any Language” enter “English”. Then click “Advanced Search”. A list of headings will appear such as “Diet and Neurocognition- Review of evidence” – “Why Japans longest lived women hold the key to better…” and “Longevity and the diet of Okinawa Japan”.
    Also type in where “All of these words” appear – Turmeric and Alzheimers”. Again a list of both research documents and medical articles will be provided. Please read these in order to broaden your awareness of research in the area of Alzheimers and Dementia. Also click on links attached to develop your searches. The one constant seems to be DIET.
    I would also suggest that every one uses Google Scholar to research in depth articles
    on their particular areas of concern.
    Finally, research continues and in some national newspapers in the UK are reporting advances being made in research into the disease, ie “The Daily Express”.
    Good luck in your efforts, remember start now to help yourself to stay healthy, when you reach your mid 80s, fully compus mentis you will know you have been succesfull.
    Good Luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.