Acid Reflux and two meals a day

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  KEELEE123 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• I have acid reflux, which means I’m suppose to cut out certain foods (especially high fat) and eat more smaller meals to prevent too much acid. Since this diet promotes less meals, I’m wondering how to get around this? If I had to get all my calories in two meals they would, indeed, be too large.

Anyone else had to deal with this? Thanks.

Hi Mak,
    After losing 21Kgs on 5:2 b/w Sep 14 and July 15, my reflux vanished, completely! This was partly due to no longer needing anti inflamm meds for arthritic knees (weight loss fixed that pain too!), but also partly due to the reduced pressure from overweight belly. (I only assume this as it was similar to reflux I had when pregnant years ago.) Probably none of this applies to you! However, on my fast days I only eat once, in the evening, as I find this much easier to cope with (less hunger). I would reason that if your tummy is empty, you are less likely to produce acid – worth a try? I do drink a lot of coffee, herbal tea and (plain) fizzy water, but these should not stimulate acid production.
    There are many, many successful fasters on this forum, give it a go!

Hi Nama,

Thanks for the info. I am already giving it a go, but still eating my five smaller meals a day. (I’m on a fast day today). I also have my last food around 6pm, as they advice eating 4 hours before bedtime. My main concern was that five smaller meals a day might counteract the diet; although I am only having about 1400 calories a day because of being relatively sedatary through various other health problems.

Very interesting that your reflux disappeared completely! Here’s hoping, as I don’t fancy surgery.

Great news about your weight loss! Congratulations! 14 to 18lbs will do me.

PS: Coffee is supposed to stimulate acid production, but I don’t drink it anyway. I have decaf tea, herbal tea and water.

Hi all,

I am on proton pump inhibitors due to acid reflux and as I have posted elsewhere, I do 3 days consecutively of fasting. I have found this has reduced my acid issues a lot, but if go back to 2 days it returns to what it was despite losing 2.5 stone! I am doing the 5:2 to get back to my weight I was before I had it as convinced weight is the cause and I don’t want to be on tablets like those forever as probably not a good idea.

Probably another 2.5 stone to go (was 17 stone when I started) but I am sure weight loss helps. Meal size seems to make very little difference to the acid though I find sometimes tomatoes can make it worse.

Hi Scandy,

Congrats on the weight loss!

I find the smaller meals has helped my acid reflux, as well as cutting out certain foods, and I’ve been able to cut down on medication because of it. However, trying to do both diets at the same time is proving a bit of a challenge. It’s probably because of dealing with various other medical problems at the same time, which make me very tired anyway (through pain and ME/CFS), and, on some days, hard to deal with it all. It would be a damn site easier, psychologically wise, if I could eat my normal, pre-acid reflux diet food on the five none-fasting days. I will keep going at it though, and see how things go.

Two weeks in and no weight loss as yet, although I’ve pretty pretty sedentary because of conditions.

Iv had reflux and been doing the 5\2 fasting diet for over a year now and im ok.So long as I stay off bread? sugar.

Hi Mak,

Hope you’re continuing to work things through as you go on your 5:2 journey. I have ME/CFS and can understand the challenges you’re facing. Also there are a number of generations of my family with acid reflux and IBS, and while I don’t have it personally, I do understand a bit.

It is a challenge managing various health conditions while learning another way of eating. While not having the severity of some in my family I do have food intolerance to all grains except corn. Eating them changes what happens with my stomach and gut quite a bit. I have other food intolerances and a couple of food allergies as well, so doing 5:2 has meant combining other food ways of eating with the it.

I’ve been doing 5:2 for a full year now, have lost 15 kgs, and my gut improves, as long as I stay off the grains. Also, I’ve discovered that there are some people on 5:2 who can’t lose weight if grains are included in their food, even if they stick to the calorie guidelines, and I’ve tested this out for myself. If I eat any grains, either gluten free or not gluten free, I don’t lose weight. If I stay off them I do.

So…I really encourage you to keep going, take your time, and tackle the challenges one at a time. There’s also a (slowly) active CFS list on the forum, so maybe you would like to join us occasionally.

Good luck,
    Merry

I get acid reflux. This week I became very sick with stomach cramps, fainting, sweating and blood in stools. Dr thinks it may be my stomach and has doubled my reflux meds and giving me a week before I do the up and down procedures.
    He didn’t even check my blood pressure even though I told him I’d been fainting.
    I honestly don’t think it has anything to do with 5 2. I have had a very stressful few weeks with the sudden death of my friend who lived next door. She was only 56! I went through a whole lot of binging and wouldn’t be surprised if I have an ulcer.
    The other thing I thought of was I’ve lost just over 6kg and maybe my blood pressure tablets and diabetes medication (I am pre diabetic) need adjusting. I’ve got referrals to get them checked so will do so before I go back next week. It’d be lovely if I could start reducing them.
    It’s turned my fast day into 3 fast days in a row so far.

Hi Mak,

I have had acid reflux for 5 years taking the morning Omeprazole tablet. I went on 5.2, 3 years ago,
    lost 30 lbs over 5 months and have been off the tablets all this time. As I believe these tablets in the long time are not very good for you. I just had two meals on a fast day.

My hubby having had double knee surgery, coming off the 5.2 eating wrongly and no exercise the weights crept back on for both of us. This last 6 months I am now taking the tablets again as the reflux has returned that says it all! The doctor told me years ago get the weight off and the reflux will stop! He was right.

Both Hubby and myself are now week 1, 2 fasts in and back on 5.2. We will get the weight off, stop the tablets and feel as good as we did 3 years ago. Then maintan faithfully.

Do the 2 meals a day …you will be fine…

Good luck

Hello Symba7, im just like you, I was told same from my doctor, iv been doing 5\2 fast for 18months to two years now and I have only 600 grms to lose to get to my goal weight but its taken all that time as mostly I went thru a stage were my weight just wouldn’t drop no matter what? I have a very small meal in morning like one egg but I always have green vegies with it and the same at nite on my fast days mon\ thur.My reflux has gone and I haven’t had to take medication for it since.Hope you have a merry xmas. keelee

Oh you poor thing Lynkay, boy you have had a tough time.I have a small meal like a egg and always have green vegies for breakfast on my fast days and the same sort of thing at night but I drink lots of water as well.When I first had a reflux attack I was just like you and fainted with the pain.Oh I hope you will be feeling better soon.I also stopped eating glutin and sugar which has been a huge help.So sorry to hear you lost your friend.keelee

Since sipping apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon in my water throughout the day cutting out bad sugar and white bread and rice, After 12 years of near constant acid reflux and an ulcer all symptoms have disappeared I now have my skepticle step daughter doing the same and it’s also cleared hers, it also helps suppress my appetite on fast days so I eat 1 meal in 36hrs HTH X nat

Natheaver84,thankyou sooo much for that information, im gona do that right now.The apple cider or lemon I have never tried before, thankyou for your help.keelee

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.