5:2 Newbie Starting tomorrow… fingers crossed!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
5:2 Newbie Starting tomorrow… fingers crossed!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi everyone, I’ve been reasearching fasting for a while now and after literally years of slimming groups (15 to be exact!) I’m ready to give this a go, and hoping it will be as life changing for me as it’s been for others! What do people eat on fast days, it would be great to have some simple “grab and go” ideas as I’m a busy mum working full time surrounding by lots of bad “grab and go” food! I must admit, I’m a bit out of touch where calorie counting is concerned, it’s been all about “pro points” and “syns” for a while! Has anyone got any tips for making sure you don’t go over the 500 cal limit? I’m planning to only have an evening meal and milk free drinks tomorrow.

Welcome to Fasting, alliebobs. Although I’ve been Fasting for nearly 5 years, it has been after I retired, so working it into a busy work/family life is not in my experience. But. I do have a lot of simple to prepare recipes — some are quick dinners, some require some advance planning to be quick.
    Since we enjoy both breakfasts and dinners on Fast Days for a total of 600 calories/day, all of my menus come out at 300 calories/serving. But you could increase them to your heart’s content.

Shrimp Stir-fry with Udon Noodles: 267 calories 7.2 g fat 23.8 g protein 33 g carbs PB The back of a bag of udon noodles supplied this recipe and then I adapted it.
    1 oz of dry udon [or soba] noodles 3 oz raw shrimp, cut in half across the body 2 oz carrot, peeled and sliced into coins 1½ oz green cabbage 1 oz onion 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce. 1 tsp olive oil 1 oz chopped green onion [or a Tbsp steamed chopped broccoli]
    Put the frozen shrimp in a bowl with a little water to thaw. Cook noodles in a quart of water about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, shell, and peel the raw shrimp. Slice the shrimp across the body. Heat the oil in a cast iron pan or wok. Add the carrot, cabbage, and onion and some of the water from the thawed shrimp. Stir-fry/steam for 3 minutes. Add the shrimp and any remaining liquid and cook one minute more. Toss the cooked noodles into the pan and mix to warm them. Add , salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Toss to mix ingredients. If you think this sounds complicated and long, I did it in 25 minutes and that included peeling carrots and cleaning shrimp. Satisfying and good to eat.  If you don’t like shrimp, substitute just under 2 oz sliced chicken breast.

Salade Nicoise: 283 calories 16 g fat 3 g fiber 22.5 g protein 12.7 g carbs 198.3 mg Calcium PB GF HINT: If you plan ahead a bit, this meal goes together in minutes. A few days before, eat a meal of baked or grilled salmon and green beans. Prepare 3 oz more salmon than you’ll need for that meal and save it for this meal. Cooked salmon freezes well, just leave enough time to thaw it thoroughly. Also cook an extra bit of green beans and save them in the ‘fridge.
    DRESSING: 1 tsp white wine vinegar + 1.5 tsp olive oil 3 leaves of romain, medium-sized 3 oz cooked salmon 3 oz green beans, cooked and cooled 2 black olives ½ hard-boiled egg 5 cherry tomatoes
    Whisk the oil and vinegar in a wide shallow bowl. Add the beans and turn them to coat with dressing. Remove to another plate. Coarsely chop the lettuce and toss with dressing. Place the salmon in the center of the salad. Surround it with the remaining ingredients. A wonderful meal in no time flat.

Fish Tacos: 266 calories 2.6 g fat 3.6 g fiber 23 g protein 37 g carbs 118 mg Calcium PB The food truck staple is now available for a Fast Day. Add more spices to suit your taste.
    two 6” corn tortillas 3 oz cooked fish HINT: next time you grill or broil fish, cook an extra 3 oz for this recipe. Wrap it and label and store in freezer until needed. ½ cup tomato, cubed ½ cup cabbage, chopped 1 oz red onion, sliced 1 Tbsp lime juice or salsa verde [Herdez brand is good] pinch chili powder pinch cumin 1.5 Tbsp plain yogurt
    Combine the cabbage, tomato, and onion in a bowl with the lime juice and spices. Heat a large griddle or cast iron pan and put the tortillas in it until they are warm, pliable, and beginning to brown. Remove to your plate. Spread the tortillas with the yogurt. Divide the fish between the tortillas and add a splash of lime juice or salsa verde. Top with the vegetable slaw. If there is too much slaw to fit into the tortillas, serve it on the side.

Quesadillas : 295 cal 9 g. fat 2.7 g fiber 18.8 g protein 31.4 g carb 211.5 mg Calcium GF These are great. And you can prepare them ahead, wrap in foil, and grill them later. Thanks to S.M. for that tip.
    2 six-inch corn tortillas HINT: Read the package! Make sure that each tortillas is 65 calories each or less. ¾ oz monterey jack cheese, grated 2 Tbsp non-fat cottage cheese, drained 2 Tbsp tomato salsa – drain it if it is very liquid large pinch Mexican oregano 1 oz [¼ cup] cooked shredded chicken breast 2 oz broccoli, steamed OR 1 cup salad tossed with the drained liquid from the salsa and cottage cheese
    Heat a cast iron skillet and warm the tortillas on both sides until they are warm, pliant, and beginning to brown in spots. Remove and keep warm in a tea towel. Combine the cheeses, salsa, and oregano. Spoon half of the cheese mixture on each tortilla, then top with shredded cheese. Cook the broccoli. Fold over the tortillas and cook on both sides in the hot skillet until hot and toasty and melty. TIP: I sometimes need to put something on top of the folded tortillas to keep them folded as they begin to cook. No problem after they are flipped.

‘Therapeutic’ Chicken Soup: 278 calories 3.4 g fat 5 g fiber 18.5 g protein 36 g carbs [26 g Complex Carbs] 78 mg Calcium PB The recipe is from It’s All American Food by David Rosengarten. Simple, filling, and Granma says it is good for you. TIP: One serving = 2 cups of soup!
    1-1/2 cups excellent chicken broth, homemade or purchased 2 oz [½ cup] parsnips, diced 1 oz [¼ cup] carrots, in coins ¼ cup celery 2 oz cooked chicken breast, cut in 1/2” cubes 1/2 oz Pennsylvania Dutch noodles pennsylvaniadutchnoodles.com 3 Tbsp parsley
    Prepare the vegetables. Cook the noodles in water until just underdone. Heat the stock to a simmer and add 3-4 Tbsp water, which will boil away as you cook. I added the parsnips first and cooked for about 5 minutes, then added the carrots. After another 5 minutes, I put the celery in the soup. Cook until all the vegetables are tender, then adjust the seasoning of the broth. It will need extra flavor now since the pasta will need it. Add the pasta and chicken. Add the parsley and cook about 5 minutes longer.

The last one was just posted on my food blog today. I post recipes to help other Fasters to eat well.

Hope this helped. good luck.

Thanks so much for the ideas! Unfortunately my son’s ended up with a virus and it’s all gone a bit wrong this week (I know this is an excuse really, but I need to find away to make space for myself and stop turning to the bad stuff for comfort). I need to get my head straight and get motivated! I’m still planning to start this but will leave it until after the hols. I think my problems are in my head, I need to get in the right mindset and figure out how I tackle this weight problem long term!

When you are ready, you will be ready.

you could start small by eating Fast breakfast then no lunch and then a normal dinner. or normal breakfast then no lunch and a Fast dinner. You can prepare a Fast Dinner for the whole family, which you will eat too, but put a bowl of bread-rolls/rice/potatoes on the table for anyone who wants some but which you will ignore. That way there is only one meal to prepare.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.