5:2 for slim/average sized people

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
5:2 for slim/average sized people

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kgb48 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I started 5:2 properly about 10 weeks ago at a weight of 9 st. 3 (I’m 5 foot 5 inches tall). Since then I have only dropped 2-3 pounds despite sticking to the diet religiously. Lots of comments on various forums have focused on larger people trying to drop down to a normal weight. I’m interested in the experiences of those on 5:2 who are already of a normal weight but want to drop half a stone or so. Is it possible or does your weight loss just flatline after a while? My target weight is 8 stone 9 (still within a healthy BMI) – can 5:2 actually get me there?

Hi firstlove, thought I’d share my experience with you. Whilst I sadly can’t class myself as ‘slim’, my BMI does fall in the ‘healthy’ range (just!). Like you, my goal has been to lose half a stone or so. I’ve been doing 5:2 since the beginning of June and, apart from one week where I only managed to fast once and a fortnight’s non-fasting in Spain, I have followed it faithfully. It took me 9 weeks before I lost ANY weight at all, I then lost a couple of pounds, put them all back again on holiday, then lost 3 since then. As you can see, my weight loss is incredibly, frustratingly slow. However, having been a serial dieter all my adult life, I don’t see that I’ve got any option other than to continue with this plan as it allows me to eat ‘normally’ 5 days a week. There is nothing worse than feeling like you’re on a constant diet, and the flip side is that I’m at least not putting any weight on! There are also the unseen health benefits that fasting brings, so that is what I focus on to keep me motivated.

So, in answer to your question – 5:2 might get you there, it might not, but at least you’ll be healthier whilst trying! Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

Yes! It’s slow, but in my case it certainly works. I started with a BMI of about 23 and now have a BMI of 21. My clothes are a lot looser and the biggest difference is when I look down: no longer does my stomach protrude as it did previously.

My weight loss has been about 1 kg per month.

Have you checked you measurements or noticed any difference in the fit of your clothes? Often there is progress here even when the scales suggest otherwise

I’ve lost 23 pounds, and I lost 35 pounds before that on the 8:16 routine (where you fast for 16 hours a day). I still do the 8:16 on some non-fast days. I try to eat reasonably well. I lost more than a pound last week, but I’ve only averaged about 3/4 pounds a week overall, so no slowdown yet. BMI is now 21.8 but I still have belly fat to lose. I’m sure I can, just by fasting more days a week if it comes to that. The issue isn’t losing the weight, but keeping it off. I’m thinking now I will have to maybe alternate 6:1 and 5:2 to keep steady, but maybe mostly 5:2.

One pound of fat is around 3500 cals therefore you must shave that off your weekly energy expenditure. You also need to realise that this will become more difficult, the less you have to lose. For example

TDEEE = 1600cals
    Weekly Energy Expenditure = 1600 x 7 cals
    total weekly energy expenditure = 11200

minus 1lb fat 11200 – 3500 = 7700 cals per week to lose 1lb fat
    minus 2 x fast days at 500 cals = 6700

Therefore on non fast days (5 days I need to eat around 1340cals)

Now if you want to lose less than a lb a week then you will have more cals to play with, if you want to lose ore than you need to take it off your weekly energy expenditure. So, the less you need to lose the harder it will be as you will require less calories just to keep your body ticking over.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.