42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 2,344 total)

• USA day 4of 42
    NFD all is well!
    I often refer to the saying “EAT for ENERGY”
    Donuts, cake and cookie love them but remember how sluggish I feel after eating them and the regret of letting myself down yet once again.
    There will be times when you just want something sweet just make the best choice
    maybe half with friend,just count on TDEE.
    Keep up the good work!

Day 4 – Here in Brazil 20 hours fasting with tea and water until now, the dinner has just 1000 calories, tomorrow another day like this, I fast days continued until Friday, hehehehehe

Day 5 Australia – my second fast day and our office is over a food court. the smells wafting up this morning are just torture! I have a low calorie soup planned for lunch and mixed veges for dinner. This has been a really good first week – have walked at least 8km every day and stayed under my calories each day. Am starting to feel fearful about the weekend though. I can manage Friday and Saturday but Sunday is Mother’s Day and I will be at the mercy ( 🙂 ) of my family.

Good Morning 5:2 Challengers
    It is a beautiful morning in South Australia. I got through my B2B fast and have lost the 300 grams I was aiming for so my Wednesday weigh in has been recorded in my journal and put on a graph. I am aiming for a total of 1.5 kilo loss so that is 1.2 to go.

I just want to answer a couple of posts as there are so many but they are all wonderful to read.

HannahWatto the link you sent about the metabolism rates of BL contestants has had me thinking ever since. I understand people with low metabolisms may have sluggish thyroid glands, I just wonder if any of the contestants have found any on going medications to help their condition. Have you read Garry Taubes’ book ‘Why We Get Fat’? That is a very interesting book. Do you have a link to the Obesity journal mentioned in the article?

I also wanted to reply to the comments concerning the noodles that taste great and claim to be 5 calories for 100 grams. I mentioned I bought some at a farmers market in my last post and some people wanted to know more about them. They are made from the root of the Konjac plant and are used in Asian cooking. They are just root fibre and water. I have since found a similar product in the Asian noodles section of my local supermarket.

I have had a full on week with sick Grandchildren but still sticking to the 5:2 although I have hardly managed to get to the gym at all.

For Mothers Day I am celebrating with plenty of cake, food and wine with my family. I will take a large decorative salad full of colourful sliced vegetables, seeds, nuts with a yogurt dressing and fresh pomegranate seeds on a beautiful plate. It is called Nanny’s Hipster Salad. The day after I will fast.

Hope you all have a lovely day xx

Aussie day 5 check in managed 14,000 steps yesterday fast day for me today will weigh in tomorrow.

Day 5 Aus – NFD. For those interested. Dr Jason Fung discusses IF in light of the BL metabolism findings. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

Good evening from California. Day 4 NFD. Had a very busy day at work reaching my 10,000 steps by the end of my shift. My legs are tired. I have kept within my TDEE today. It is the end of a 5 day work stretch and hoping to enjoy a glass of wine this evening. Tomorrow will be my FD.

Regarding work place donuts: I start chewing a piece of gum before entering the break room. This helps me fight the donut cravings for the amount of time I am in front of them. Fortunately they are gone by the time my lunch break comes around.
    Keep up the good work everyone! We can do this.

TTL – thank you for the info regarding prunes, fruits/veggies and water. Also love the organic carrot idea! Prunes and carrots added to the next grocery run!

Was able to well under my TDEE today due to super busy day! Figured out the calories for my “make your own pizza” — roughly 525 …I little steep so will look to cut that down (thank goodness we do this on my NFD!!).

FD for me tomorrow! YAY! I have dinner planned ….cedar planked salmon and steamed broccoli! I will have a small Greek yougart and fresh fruit in the morning before workout…then hope to make it until dinner on just tea/water.

Love reading all the posts — keeps me motivated and encouraged! Love all the food sharing too — Edzeko –I also borrowed from your list!! 🙂

Stay positive all!

Uk day 3 – sorry for late posting this is meant for 04/05/16 my little one has terrible collic which has recently gotten worse and now is the first chance ive had all day!!! FD today, so proud of myself! Been really tiring and stressful but i stuck to my allowance and took the little one and the dog for a 2 hour treck. Resisted treats offered by family and ate healthy….all good 😀

Thank you for food tips, will definitely add them to my shopping list!

Qsue – I also wonder what foods they now eat. Are they using up their calorie allowances with processed rather than fresh foods.

Meli…both my boys had colic. I feel for you

Hi all,

Day #4 is almost over here in California. It was a NFD and I made an experiment, had a normal breakfast and then a bigger lunch and I was done for today. Tomorrow is a FD for me and I prepared ahead of time mentally plus I’ve made vegetable soup and fresh guacamole.

I don’t know about you but I use positive affirmations and meditate daily. They really help to calm the mind and be able to control the hunger.

Have a great day tomorrow all of you!

P.S. For constipation the best is raw cabbage salad.

Thank you for that link OnAHealthyHigh – the article was really interesting. One question for the group – I have been spreading my 500 calories on a fast day across lunch and dinner but reading Dr Fung’s article I’m starting to wonder if it would be more effective to wait until the evening and have the whole 500 calories then so I have fasted for nearly 24 hours. What is everyone’s experience?

Hi again and I will post next time tomorrow

Hannah two posts below my previous post is one sent by Onahealthyhigh with a link in which a Dr Jason Fung MD discusses the BL findings and gives a big thumbs up for the fasting method as a way of keeping ones metabolic rate high. It is very interesting and I hope this helps. Thanks to this challenge I now have two recommended books and another website to look at.

Thank you Onahealthyhigh for the link.I have read the article but have no time at the moment for anything further. Do you know if Dr Fung MD goes into detail what he means by a fast? Does my 5:2 happy fast of 36 hour with 500 calories count or is he talking about something tougher? I am fine on the 5:2 method and my metabolic rate does not need rebooting but I do enjoy reading about current research if it is genuinely scientific.

USA Southeast. Day 4 over and stayed well below TDEE. Fast day tomorrow.

Qsue – I was diagnosed hypo thyroid almost 10 years ago now. It was when I first started gaining a lot of weight (one symptom of many experienced). I take medication for my thyroid but unfortunately it wasn’t a fix for the weight gain and I continued to gain yearly. I can’t blame it all on the condition though as I was not as physically active as I once was (I had two back surgeries in 5 years) and I ate too much of the wrong things. I do find, however, that when I diet with others my weight loss is much slower than theirs which can be so disheartening. This time I have decided to be happy with small losses as eventually they will add up. I hope 🙂

Anonymous

NL day 5
    Decided to change my FD to tomorrow. Messed up my whole routine yesterday :-)) so I don’t feel today is a good day for fasting…

FD has been going well but suddenly I am so hungry and it is hours until dinner time! More hot tea coming up …

5UK. NFD day today away for the weekend so a test til fd on Monday, challenge to stay well under TDEE. I ould love to know where to buy black bean spaghetti, ideas please!! I find eating lots of veg and drinking green tea, hot water and lemon first thing in the morning and lots of water helps with keeping my system in running order! I don’t like the thought of laxatives! Good luck everyone, stay strong!!!

What is going on with me. Woke up at 2.30am for the toilet trip and haven’t slept since! Got up and stayed up at 6am. I haven’t slept well for years, always waking at least once. I have tried every over the counter medication and various tricks, meditating etc. The only thing I won’t take are sleeping pills from the doc.
    I have cut down on my fluids after a 6pm dinner. Any weird and wonderful ideas will be welcome.

Fasting today – day 5 from Scotland. Polling day here today. Pilates later this morning. Hopefully I can stay awake long enough for my salmon salad dinner tonight!

Have a great day everyone. Onwards and downwards. TTL

Pacific NW USA: end of Day 4 NFD
    Logged 11,383 steps today. Cabbage leaf wraps with spiced turkey, salsa, scallions, and avocado for dinner.
    Hang in there HannahWatto – we know how you feel and we know you can do it!

Thank you “back2thefuture” – I will do it! “Third time lucky”, have you tried Yoga Nidra? I had terrible sleep problems and then started going to yoga where we learnt the Yoga Nidra relaxation technique. Ultimately I could use it in the middle of the night and fall asleep in seconds. Good luck!

Im in – started last Thursday and just on my third fast day today. Want to lose about 2 stone in an ideal world, but will take anything that comes as I know this is a slow process and im in for the health benefits too.

I fast Monday and Thursday

Thanks for posting up the challenge

Hi everyone- day 5 from Switzerland and it’s a FD for me. Luckily it’s lovely weather plus it’s a bank holiday so plenty to keep me occupied.

There’s a lot of debate about whether to split up your 500 kcal or eat one large meal and I guess it’s all down to personal preference. I found quite early on that if I have anything but water and tea without milk, my stomach growls and I feel really hungry. Having a miso soup at lunch staves off the headaches and a 475 kcal meal before bed means I don’t wake hungry in the night. All trial and error but it’s what works for me.

DahliaLover – how did the night shift go?

UK day 5 – checking in. Yesterday’s FD went pretty well. I save my calories up – on a Sunday until 5ish when I get to have a ‘normal’ meal with the boys. But yesterday I experimented with eating a good meal at about 2ish (could maybe have gone a little later, but I was bored – yesterday really brought home ot me how much of my eating is comfort/boredom eating). So piled the carrots on to my plate with a gorgeous fat cheesecake out of Tesco. Pretty much carried me through the rest of the day, with just the occasional nibble to use up the rest of my calories.
    NFD today, and as the schools are off for the elections, we’ll be out on the bikes every dry minute.
    Good luck everyone!

Uk day 5, fast day here, feeling v v sluggish. Third time lucky, i too have terrible insommnia but now have to take sleeping tablets for my own sanity 🙁 still no guarantee of a semi decent sleep though. Last night at 1.30 i was googling magnesium tablets, have you tried them? If so what did you think?
    I crave carbs when super tired, these are my comfort foods. I’ll Be strong today, only one day …

UK day 4 Hi everyone Feeling very pleased having successfully completed yesterday’s FD – lots of water a couple of black coffees boullion at lunch time then chicken,courgettes and vine tomatoes for dinner I was starting to struggle after that thinking of biscuits etc but stayed strong by promising myself a lovely breakfast this morning. Got up early but surprisingly not ravenously hungry as I anticipated ,which I guess just goes to prove I eat a lot out of habit not actual hunger . Lovely day here and I’m meeting a friend for lunch on the seafront but will stay under TDEE – no point going to all the effort in the FDs to blow it now Loving reading everyone’s posts

Hello, Day 5, 37 days to go 🙂 Decided yesterday to fast until dinner, and then had a roast pork dinner, yum. Today was a non fast day.

Fast days – 3. Non fast days – 2

Morning everyone UK Day 5, I have just woken up to a gloriously sunny day and am sitting in the kitchen enjoying the peace and quiet of an empty house, no teenagers squabbling over who took longer in the bathroom or who that particular T-shirt belongs to. Just the sounds of birds in the garden and my neighbour mowing his lawn. Bliss. Well the best that can be said for my night shift is that it’s over, and I don’t have to do it again for a fortnight. I managed OK until midnight, then I caved and ate half a bag of tooty frooties, which are a kind of chewy fruit sweet for those who don’t know. Chocolate I can resist but fruit sweets are a weakness for me. Still, I am consoling myself by thinking that it was a NFD and that I will try and learn from it for next time. It’s a process, not an overnight change. Cizzy thanks for the gum idea I may try that.
    On the when to eat on a FD debate, I go through the day with just fizzy water and two cups of tea and then have a protein plus veg meal in the evening, for a few reasons. Once I start eating I find I get hungrier and I can lose track of my eating (surely one tiny pistachio won’t count?). Also I do think it gives my body more of a chance to reset. Today I am on a liquid fast which I have done before and enjoyed, just water and 2 x tea, and then one largish glass of V8 this evening with ice and Worcestershire sauce. Delicious.
    Goodness I have realised that this is a mammoth post, thanks to anyone who read this far! Meli, how is your baby? Well done for persevering on a FD with the stress of a screaming baby, that’s a great achievement. Minols and TTL thanks for the election reminder I must find my polling card. Have a good day any UK FDers!

Tattiebogle…magnesium helps with both sleep and irregularity. I too suffer with insomnia and used to take up to 3 mg of Lunesta. Now I use the Fisher Wallace stimulator and ditched the pills. Fisherwallace.com. My husband found it on line. Sounds weird but it really works for me

UK day 5 and my first day. I have started with a NFD because I had cheese biscuits to make for a cheese and wine evening tonight. I have used My fitness Pal to record all my calorific intake – and have tried to take account of my potential intake tonight.

I am planning to attempt my first FD tomorrow and am planning to have a small breakfast, miss lunch and then have smoked haddock with veg for tea. One question – is it vital to leave 12 hours between meals or should I leave breakfast as long as I dare to?

FD today weigh day tomorrow. Any loss is a good loss but week one should be the best!

Welcome Baby_ just jump in but update your profile a bit and start your post USA/UK/CAN and the day of the challenge ie for me UK day 5. Helps to know where you are from.

Hi all and well done to those still committed to the challenge.

A wise fellow once said ‘let food be thine medicine’ if we think that food can heal or kill us albeit he probably had never tasted the things available to us now. Think of how the advertising of big companies encourage us to buy their products. They are not interested in our well being but only for their profits. Do we really need a mars to help us work, rest and play (for those who remember this advert) or a finger of fudge is just enough to give the kids a treat (any body start singing along), or milky way the treat you can eat between meals. What does Coca-cola really do for us – is life really better after a big bottle of coca-cola? They play on the mind and suddenly we are reaching for the chocolate but not because we are hungry. Maybe another thing to think about when a craving starts to grow. Do you want to increase their bank account – rather think when you eat foods that nourish your body you are increasing your health account. Just food for thought!

My poor little body wonders what has happened – my legs and arms are stiff from the body weight exercise on Tuesday – going up and down stairs is painful but a good painful lol. Another session planned tonight. Has anyone noticed a difference yet – I don’t believe my face is as puffy and my complexion seems clearer. I don’t feel as bloated either.

Don’t forget to award yourselves a visible reminder of how well you are doing.

Coda, I find my back stiffening in outrage every time I see a TV commercial for “snacks”. I want to yell STOP SNACKING! STOP EATING NON-FOOD!

Day 5. Wisconsin, USA. First, thanks to Coda for starting this challenge. I have never been a part of anything like this. I’m finding that the group dynamic is very helpful. I try to read everyone’s posts.

I’m off my normal workout routine. We have been up with our sick dog every couple of hours for the last three nights. I put him on a FD yesterday. 🙂 Hopefully he’s on the mend, and I can resume my normal activities.

I slipped in a quick ten minute leg and butt work out this morning (fitness blenders), and I believe my hamstrings are already sore. I walk (2.5 miles) every day at lunch with a group from work as well. We walk in all weather, and in Wisconsin you get ALL the weather there is to get. The older I get, the more I appreciate things I once would have found a bore…tiny buds on the trees, pregnant Robins, even giant snowflakes. Really, it all seems like a miracle to me. We’ve been walking for about a year, and this has become a favorite part of my day.

Today’s FD menu:

Black coffee
    Green tea
    3 quarts of water with a lot of lemon
    1:30 pm – Apple
    3:00 pm – Chicken broth
    6:00 pm

3 oz of baked white fish,
    Green salad – peppers/cucumbers/tomatoes/celery/carrot/fresh cilantro/fresh parsley/balsamic vinegar/TBS Feta cheese
    Soup (1 cup) – Using leftovers to make it…a tiny bit of shredded pork, beef broth, cannelloni beans, California vegetable mix.
    Blueberries (handful)

Hello on Day 5 from sunny Cotswolds. Fast-day today (Mondays and Thursdays is my plan). I’ve stayed strong as it’s my day off work today. All has gone well. I love the fact that all of us are doing this together. Stay motivated everyone x

Hi – Just to say how proud I am of you all – feeling a little emotional actually lol
    keep up the good work everyone don’t let complacency slip in – stick to the plan. Hugs to all my little and getting little er (is that a word) 5:2 ers.

Looking forward to the results coming in as we approach the end of our first week – when is everyone planning to weigh in – I plan to weigh Saturday morning 7 May after my fast day on Friday.

Meli…I am so impressed with your determination. Fasting and caring for a fussy baby are a hard match. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

UK Day5. What a gorgeous sunny day. Shock of the day – confiscated an energy drink from a pupil in school where I work (they are banned) – whilst emptying it out had a peek at the label – a 500ml can – never mind the high caffeine – it contained a whopping 55g of sugar! How are these still sold to children……

Edzeko, I share your toughts about the beauty of nature. Going outside is for me like a bath of beauty and comfort whatever the weather ( I live in Québec city, so you can imagine the range !).

I have the chance of living just in front of a park and the St-Laurence river. It feeds me.

Wishing you the best with your doggy.

USA day 5 of 42
    FD going to have an egg and strawberries for lunch!
    I find going to the garden helps keep me busy when hungry.Always something to do there.
    keep down the temptations!

Day 5 from Québec
    Yesterday was FD. Went well.
    This morning a bit weak but it’s OK.
    NFD today

Lost almost 4 pounds since the beginning. So happy. I feel less bloated ( am I dreaming ????)

Bonne journée !

Midwest USA day 5: Checking in. FD for me today. Just had tea and water with lemon this morning and now its noon:thirty-five and having some miso soup. (Can’t remember who gave that tip, but I really like it..especially today since it’s chillier out) It’s going well. But I feel less energy then on my Monday FD. Now my boys are napping and I have some quiet time to myself to plan for dinner, clean, and hopefully do some type of work out. If it’s not raining after nap, I will push the double stroller to the park and see the ducks and hopefully baby ducklings.
    Confession: I don’t have a scale. I weighed myself last week at my chiropractor’s office..so I won’t be able to do weigh in’s as often as everyone else. I should just get one. I usually just measure myself (I sew, so I am always measuring myself for the next garment).
    Mother’s day is this weekend and we are planning to go out. Hopefully can make wise choices to stay before TDEE. Perhaps eat very few calories before we go out.
    For dinner tonight, I have some chicken in the crock pot and will shred it. Thinking a Shredded chicken lettuce wrap type thing. Will try to not eat anything else before dinner..but have some strawberries cut up in the fridge just in case…or a greek yogurt, but would prefer to save calories for with the family at dinner.
    Great job everyone! love reading the posts throughout the day.

Hiya – just rounded off my FD with a large orange as I found I had the kcals left over. I’m currently resisting the idea of reducing FD kcals as I slowly reduce my TDEE from the other side of 2,000. Maybe if my weight loss really slows down again, but for the moment I treasure each of those 500 kcals!!

It’s gorgeous weather outside so I think I’ll find a quiet corner to read my book (to get away from the kitchen and all that food).

Coda, if it fits your general scheme, I’d like to weigh-in on Tuesday mornings as Mondays are FDs for me. Are we doing measurements too like on the tracker?

Checking in from Scotland Day 5
    Evening all! Good day today after a terrible night, only about three hours sleep. Managed my Pilates class without snoozing, and then some shopping for essential oils etc from the organic shop.
    K-Lo – have to admit I had a real belly laugh at your post letting us know that you now use the Fisher Wallace Stimulator to help you sleep, instead of the pills. I hardly dare ask – what is the F.W. stimulator??? My mind boggles at the possible outcome of this, but will await your explanation with mirth!!!

On a more serious note, I have tried Magnesium, but it only helped for a few days, then back to the old routine.

HannahWatto – no I haven’t tried Yoga Nidra, but have googled it and will take a look later on before going to bed. Thanks for the info.

DaisyandMillie- It is not set in stoine that you leave 12 hours between meals, but according to Dr M’s book, this is when the body goes into what is called Ketosis, when it actually starts using fat cells for energy. So the longer you leave it, more chance of burning more fat away. I started by having a light breakfast at 8am, then fluids only till dinner at 7pm, simply because I didn’t think I would survive without breakfast. After a few months, I then tried going without breakfast, and have now just been eating dinner at 7pm on a fast day, totalling 24 hours from one meal to the next. I find it much easier, and as long as I don’t have a snack, I don’t crave food at all. Oce I start to eat, then all bets are off!!

Well done everyone, and many congratulations to those who are losing already. This WOL works if you work it.! Weighin for me tomorrow. TTL

UK. End of day 5 NFD. Really good all day travelling to our daughter and fish and chips! Very proud of myself as I took off all the batter and put straight into the food bin, took a tiny portion of chips! well uner TDEE so will reward myself with a juicy orange!
    Congratulations to everyone on this journey, keep a strong mindset! I keep telling myself I wont starve not eating for a few hours, a large glass of water or herbal tea does help!!.
    I’ll weigh next Tuesday which will be one week.

and.. exhale whatever suits you just thought most may do the end of the week – your way is probably going to keep you on the straight and narrow over the weekend, when most people relax. I know I will have my work cut out keeping to my Tdee but this week I have tried to only keep to MFP wish is about 400 calories lower than my Tdee so if at the weekend I go up to my Tdee it is still a success.

US Day 5. FD. I plan on weighing in tomorrow. Good luck everyone as we head to our first weigh in.

USA 5 of 42. Still here. NF day for me. Not counting calories today.
    Confirming power of prunes – visit the loo today, finally, after 3 days. Still don’t know what cause that, it is very unusual of me. Possibly sudden switch from vegan diet to eager meat eater. But feel empty and happy now. 🙂
    Don’t have time today to read all posts, but will read them later. The thread seems very busy, adding a page or two each day. Wishing everybody success!

Aussie day 6 messed up fast day yesterday added up cals and thought i’d way to many flipped out and ate a slice of bread then found out i had added them wrong lol.
    Weigh in day for me lost 2 kilo’s, first week is always the best Mothers day Sunday might have a small piece of cake stick with it everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.