42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,344 total)

• Hi UK day 4

TTL where you do source Coconut nectar from? Also is quinoa flakes the same as any quinoa you buy in the supermarket – haven’t noticed if they are flakes or not. Thanks

Spirilized courgette mixed with spelt spaghetti is what I now use- fabulous low cal low GI

FD yesterday was ok but woke up knackered this morning. Feeling better now about to tuck into sushi lunch- yum. FD tomorrow

Troyca, I love bean pasta too. 2 oz of Black bean spaghetti has 25g of protein, 12 g fiber and 185 calories.

Hi day 4 UK

Thanks everyone for the alternatives for spaghetti. Any one in UK know where to source spelt and or black bean spaghetti easily? Tesco’s used to do spelt but stopped. Thanks

Coda, the brand name of the bean padta is Explore Asian. Imported from China. I dont know if its available in the UK

day 4; Good morning in USA.
    I was on 4:3 for a while, but thought to do 5:2 for the 42-challenge. But today morning, my body feels that it is wrong to start eating, so I am fasting today. 🙂

I had a shock yesterday – find out that brazil nut – my favorite – has 33 calories in a SINGLE nut. I went nuts!! I ate a lot of them. New limit – 3 nuts, and maybe not every day.

Yesterday I wrote everything I ate, and stayed below TDEE. The problem, that I did not go to loo for 2 days already. Took some laxatives yesterday, but still no result. I start worrying. Buying plum juice today. Do somebody else has the problem, and find the solution? – please share. 🙁

Day 4 USA
    Did ok yesterday (NFD) …stayed just below TDEE (with a little splurge on chocolates….grrrrr). Another NFD today, next fasting day tomorrow so wil plan today.
    Coldpizza – I’m having the very same problem ….have read that this is common and we are supposed to load up on veggies and water on fast and non-fast days. I KNOW I have not been doing a good job of this, but I need relief now. I started drinking miralax (?) (fiber bulk producing that helps you go to the loo) water yesterday (it’s a powder you mix in and has ZERO taste). I’m hoping that gets things moving for me. 🙁 Hopefully others will offer advice.
    Off to my Oula exercise class later this morning and it’s our family “make your own pizza” and TV night so it’ll be interesting too see how many calories my pizza comes in at 🙂
    Have a great day all!

Hiya all – CH Day 4
    Just a quickie to touch base. All going fine. Must keep dried fruits and nuts under lock and key – I weighed and measured the portion I wanted last night and it came in at 700 cals! Pulled a face and removed half. Humbug, but I did stay within my TDEE.
    Just eaten an enormous salad for lunch so today is looking good.
    Next FD tomorrow.

Aussie day 4 Had a fast day yesterday – diet soup with celery and salsa dip for lunch, small oven baked chicken breast cacciatore (recipe from BBC food site linked to 5:2) for dinner, which was great. Didn’t have breakfast and was busy so had lunch at 2.30. Surprisingly no hunger pains at all so maybe the glasses of water helped. Next fast day tomorrow. Tuesday’s and Thursday’s will fit best with my work schedule. I think chicken or fish will be my protein for dinners on fast days.

Coda,….coming soon.

http://www.explore-asian.com/uk/

Day 4 – must stay away from NUTS! NFD went fairly well. Dinner out with hubby. Delicious burger and baby greens salad, and a Hendricks martini. Weight is stable in the 122s. Short term goal is 120 by end of May. I slipped into a pair of 8 petite slacks that I haven’t worn in two years. It’s not just that pounds have disappeared. It’s fat as well.

Today is a FD. Normally I would fast Thursday (tomorrow) but I have to pick up son #2 from college and I NEED MY STRENGTH!!!

All this talk of bean pasta made me a plan a black bean spaghetti dinner…with all the left over veggies in my refrigerator.

Stay strong today!!

UK Day 4 I’m not fasting today but feeling a bit apprehensive because I have a night shift tonight and normally I get through it using chocolate, biscuits, sweets, anything to give me a bit of energy. Stupid I know. I have packed a tasty supper and some fruit and I hope I can stay away from the processed sugar. There’s a shop at work with heavily discounted sweets, which doesn’t help. Thanks everyone for the posts, just reading how everyone is doing is so helpful.

Midwest USA Day 4: Good morning! Non-fast day today and a more focused eating plan to stay just a bit below my TDEE. Looking forward to a FD tomorrow. First time doing a FD while on my period. I’m usually really hungry and a little peaked during this time so I am going to choose my calories carefully today to build me up and tomorrow too. Any tips from the ladies who have had FD during this “time”?

Midwest USA (Wisconsin) Day 4: So, there you have it. The FD combined with a properly executed TDEE appears to be key. After two weeks of successful FD’s, and free-for-all NFD’s, this week I manged to stay around my TDEE on NFD. Just like that, the scale liked me. More importantly, I feel very good. Leaner. Energetic.

For me, I have some thinking to do. What appealed to me with this lifestyle, is that it looked like a habit I could create and maintain without the maintenance of constant calorie counting. I have a history of failing at calorie counting long term.

My plan is to calorie count my TDEE now, but eventually just have a feel for it. I think I need to be able to operate on autopilot in order for this to work for me for the rest of my life. My goals are not to find a quick fix, or to look good in a bikini – although I guess it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I did. I’m looking for a life plan, to be the best possible version of me. To transition into the second half of my life in optimal health, not relying on medication to keep me going.

Today’s menu to meet my TDEE:

two eggs scrambled/peppers/spinach/feta

Rolled oats/almond milk/cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg/2 crumbled pecans/Tbs honey

salmon/roasted veggies

Blueberries/tsp coconut cream/2 crumbled pecans

Shredded pork and roasted veggies

*As much celery and cucumbers as I’d like. Which is none, actually. But, what does that have to do with anything?

Coda, I think it was you that was asking, asda do the black bean spaghetti in the gluten free bit, £3 for 200g they also had chick pea(?) (I think, was rushing round due to all the water I’ve drunk today!! Lol)

Edzeko,
    I like your menu for NF day. I hope you don’t mind if I borrow couple of the ideas for tomorrow. 🙂
    I find it hard to eat fresh celery sticks, but my husband introduce me to fresh carrot (big, not mini ones) munching. It surprisingly filling, and a big carrot is only 30-40 cal.

Hi from Illinois! FD went well yesterday, but I do get so cold. Cup of hot tea usually helps that. I can honestly feel warmth moving to my hands and feet after I have my supper (salad and some grilled shrimp). Has anyone ever tried splitting up your FD? I mean start it about 1400 one day and finish 1400 next day? Friday was going to be my next FD but going out to supper Friday night with friends. I might just do all Thursday as my next FD but didn’t plan to do it that soon. Saturday is out because of a birthday party for another friend. Oh wow… social life is killing me! 🙁

Cold Pizza…I would be honored to know that I had an idea to offer anyone. I can’t say it happens very often.:)

Large carrots. Good idea from your husband. I will do that on Friday. I actually have some large organic carrots at home that I use to juice. It is surprising how different they taste than the non organic baby carrots we often buy. Those little guys taste a bit like bleach.

Good luck!

Edzeko,
    I also find out that large carrots taste so much better than mini ones (and cost less). I never tried organic carrots – another idea from you, that I can use. 🙂

Just noticed the reply button haha
    Coda, I think it was you that was asking, asda do the black bean spaghetti in the gluten free bit, £3 for 200g they also had chick pea(?) (I think, was rushing round due to all the water I’ve drunk today!! Lol)

Pacific NW USA: day 3 FD yesterday (I’m reordering my numbers per your request, Coda)
    Smooth sailing first fast day. Like others have said, initial impression is that FD easier than NFD although I was a bit scatterbrained. Drank plain black tea and water during day. Had parchment baked halibut with harissa seasoning and half a zucchini for dinner. Waited to post so I could report whether I could hold till morning – I made it! Woke much earlier but success!
    Thank you committedtochange for the cookbook recommendation – I will check it out!

Darn! Somebody brought donuts to work, and I could not resist. 🙁

200 cal – half of my maximum intake today is settling in my stomach already. Coffee and tea for the rest of the day.
    Well, I am a little bit disappointed for my luck of will, but still keep smiling as satisfied Cheshire Cat. D
    One have to keep herself happy once in a while…

Afternoon – may I join in this challenge. I am a newbie about to embark on this way of life and am planning on going away on holiday on June 12th so this challenge is perfectly timed. I am planning to start tomorrow with a nfd – truthfully I have a hectic social life over the next few days so would make more sense to start next Monday but I keep putting things off so thought that I ought to just dive in and get started!

Hi UK day 4
    Just having a quick check before I go for my run and head home. Thank you Tattie – I will look in Asda.

Thank you b2f for complying much appreciated 🙂

Edzeko – I am hoping that the more we adjust to the calories we actually need it will become second nature to us and we won’t have to calorie count for the rest of time. We will get to know our bodies and be more in tune with what we need rather than what we want.

Songbird – I too get cold on my fd’s sometimes resorting to a hot water bottle but I like to think my body is having to use up calories trying to keep warm.

Keep up on the good work everyone – it will be worth it in the end!

Hi UK day 4

Well Coldpizza you can’t undo it so just move on – do you know why you had them? what can you do to resist if doughnuts are brought in again – what about taking just half of one – that way you don’t feel hard done by but feel virtuous. At the end of the day we can have whatever we want – but why do we sometimes feel angry at why we can’t have what we don’t want in the long run. Eat foods that will love you back – nourish your body – not sure if there is much nourishment in doughnuts. Will doughnuts get you to where you want to be?

Welcome daisyandmillie – no time like the present.

Coda,
    It is really hard to answer why did I have a donut, maybe because it is tasty? 🙂
    I hope eventually I will be able to fight cravings, or better not have cravings for sugary things…and I feel that this way of eating moving me there a little by little.

To my excuse, I did not have donuts for about 3 months now (which is an achievement already), and I gave up my beloved chocolate waffles from April 18 for 90 days. Additionally, I ate only one donut, not two as usual. Still, I know that scale will not listen to excuses tomorrow morning.

I love your words “Eat food that will love you back”. I will try to remember that for my future cravings. 🙂

Hi UK Day4

FD today – experimental thrown together meal in a hurry – tried out bare naked noodles – had them with a supermarket pack of stir fry veg cooked with a few spices from the store cupboard and added curry sauce (from granules)- made 2 big platefuls, quite tasty and filling. My rough calculation brings it in at around 250 calories. Added a chicken breast for hubby’s serving. His verdict – any more left? you can cook that again! got to go…

Coldpozza and Coda…
    I found the best way to resist is to get away from the food that absolutely wants to jump in my mouth hihihi.

For instance,
    once you know that there are doughnuts somewhere in the office DO NOT stay there. If necessary, go to the ladie’s room a few minutes. If necessary, take another corridor at the office but do not stay close to that food.
    Personnaly, I notices that just the sight and/or the smell brings saliva in my mouth ( just like Pavlov’s dogs).

One night I was at my sister’s place watching TV and I noticed that I was starting to salivate just by seing all the food commercials ( in the evening when we are vulnerable ) . I got up from the couch and left the living room. Came back OK to see the rest of the TV program.

Please tell me if this seems to make sens with you. Thank you.

Bonne journée !

Day 4. 38 to go.
    Today is fd. I’m happy with my green and fruit tea….. And my dog as a moral support 🙂

Bonne journée !

Hi – sorry Coldpizza if I seemed harsh and I know we all have those moments – what I want for everyone (including me, believe me otherwise why would I be here) is to think before eating something that you may later regret. Easier said than done when you are in the moment but keep trying! Well done and praise due when deserved, for giving up chocolate waffles and only having one doughnut – maybe next time you can have half of one and then the next time you will realise you don’t actually want any! So have a pat on the back!
    Actually your user name makes me think of food every time! whereas and…exhale reminds me to breathe out and …..relax!
    Run done on my way home and will probably check in later.

Everyone be warned I am going to name and shame those who signed up but have yet to post. If you don’t log in I will delete your name from the challenge.

Pacific NW USA: Day 4 NFD
    Coldpizza – well done not listening to the siren call of donuts for three months. I believe your one donut is not a relapse just a slight regression.
    I agree with Quebecoise that out of sight – out of reach – out of smell – can help keep those sirens of indulgence also out of mind. My indulgences generally speaking start with mental conversations I have with the voices of my husband’s Oreos in the pantry. With his permission we’ve removed those voices from the premises and there’s sugar free chewing gum in their place.
    Healthy thoughts about foods that love us back (per Coda)!

Back2thefuture. I love your expression “mental conversations with Oreo biscuits “. Seems like our brain is wrestling with the pro and the cons.

Oh, that is clever, Back2thefuture. I am in conversation with peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies all day, while positively shunning the celery and spinach.

Checking in from Scotland Day 4
    Hi Coda – coconut nectar and Quinoa flakes are available from Organic Food shops, or Good Health Food shops. Substitute Maple syrup for coconut nectar if you must.

For those constipated – and believe me I’ve been there – I eat raw prunes (about 6) to get moving, then eat 3/4 with breakfast the following few days. Another trick I found works is to coarsely grate a pear with the skin, and eat it straight away. But ultimately Fibre is the key. Lots of fresh fruit and steamed vegetables, and drink water. The worst thing you can eat for constipation is carbohydrates. Lots of bread, cakes, biscuits, basically anything with sugar and wheat in it. (All the things we love to eat!) So try giving your system a rest from carbs, and replace with fibre. The raw carrots mentioned above are great. Another trick is to sit on the toilet with your feet on a small stool/box, and gently rock back and forth. But don’t force it. If things don’t work, get up and walk around and try again later.
    Oh boy, do I know a lot about s—. On to better things…………………

Had a good NFD today. Warm blueberries and blackberries and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Mushroom and Celeriac soup for lunch followed by a pear. Grilled Sea bass with capers, and a baby leaf salad with mixed seeds, followed by Stewed plums and Coconut Yogurt for dinner. Approx 1000 cals consumed today.

I have read a great book that answers all your questions about cravings called FAT CHANCE – THE HIDDEN TRUTH ABOUT SUGAR, OBESITY AND DISEASE – BY DR ROBERT LUSTIG. Quite an eye opener. Having read the book, I am now on a mission to eliminate processed sugar from my diet completely. It will be tough as my go to favourite is a cream meringue with fruit compote – even thinking about it makes my cheeks pucker……. Am away now for a cuppa and maybe a piece of my healthy chocolate coconut bars!! (all my own fault!!) Hope you have all had a good day wherever you are. TTL

Hello from Los Angeles! I’m planning for my 2d 500 cal day tomorrow. As usual I’ll probably have tea and/or coffee with stevia and a large splash of milk in the morning, lots of water all day, and then a good serving of broccoli slaw with some chicken around 6 pm. Scales are moving down slowly. As for other things moving slowly — I’m also having trouble with constipation. Not sure why exactly. I’ve been eating much healthier than usual since I started 5:2 nearly 8 weeks ago — very low carbs, lots and lots of water, almost no processed foods or sugar, increased fiber via foods and added benefiber powder and fiber chewies. So not at all sure why I’ve been having this issue for the past 3-4 weeks …

Hello from Gloucestershire, UK, Day 4. Sunny day, work day on the Royal Mail, plenty of exercise. Did my evening brisk walk and have written up my food diary. Fast day tomorrow, it’s also my day off, which could be tricky. I do need to be busy when fasting. So, wish me strength and motivation!

Not a FD today but staying below my TDEE.

Hi day 4 uk – chia seeds are good to move things along as well I add them to my fruit and yogurt. Also Psyllium husks which can be taken in tablet form, apples help and drink lots of water.

Quebecoise, Back2thefuture (love the movie!), and Coda.
    Thank you for your inputs. So agree that out of sight – out of mind approach is works very well. I get rid of all sweets at home, no more chips or soda for a very long time. But in office, it is hard to control.
    My hands grab the donut faster than my legs trying to run away… 🙁

I think that idea to eat only half of the donut in future is very appealing to me. I did slow reduction of sugar in my coffee from 2 tea spoons to none in the past. Maybe it will work the same with donuts.

Talking mentally to donut is hard, somehow donuts is my head are so persuasive. But I keep trying. 🙂
    Hopefully, no more donuts for another 3 months.

I take one “Digest All” supplement every morning. This has cured me of digestive issues. I ordered it off of Amazon in desperation about one year ago. Was so surprised how well it worked, as I’ve tried many things over the years.

*I always remember to take it, especially when I travel, or know my schedule will be erratic.

U.K. Day 4, nfd here and man, my belly has been rumbling and grumbling all day, I’ve been trying to silence it between meals with fruit but I think that’s actually making it worse and I’m feeling hungrier. I may try to eat all my calories at mealtimes and stop snacking altogether. (I think yesterday I was more focused on drinking more as a fd) Trial and error I suppose.
    Tomorrow is my 2nd fast day and to be quite honest I’m looking forward to it..does that sound strange?

Cold pizza, I know how you feel, digestive biscuits (the most boring biscuit ever) are my downfall, I can see the logic in saying no to a calorific cake but a plain old digestive gets me every time..and once I start…
    Give yourself a pat for saying no to a second, small steps lol.

Dear Coldpizza, wow, you’ve really came a long way vs sugar. I sincerely congatulate you. They say the addiction to sugar is tougher to quit than that to cigarette !

Cornwall UK. End of my fast day and really pleased. kept under my 483 cals. Again I just had zero cal drinks and my miso soup at about 1pm. Gardening and swimming kept me busy!! Even resisted toasted tea cake with a friend after swimming, I had fruit tea. Away fo the weekend so it will be challenge. Next fast day Monnday.

Hi there, can I still team up with you guys? Need to loose quite a bit and really can use the support

Day 4

Totally fine at work today. My fast day routine is hot water and lemon all morning, cup a soup approx 2, another approx 5pm and a M&S calorie 300 meal as late as I can as I can’t go to bed hungry. Fasting tomorrow until 9 as it’s the only day left to fit in a semi fast. Meeting really old friend haven’t seen for years and can’t face sitting there over dinner. Top tips for future dinner meet ups welcome.Plus also just reading calories in G&T v wine………I need to stay clear of glass of vino!

Hi mirs welcome, please advise where in the world you are from as you do not have anything on your profile. Post everyday and start your post with what day you are on and where you live ie day 5 NZ. Plan your fast days and work out your tdee. eat up to that or below on non fast days and eat up to a quarter of your total on fast days – simple!

Calling missyhiggins02 are there?

Dinanak
    Frankiedoodle
    Lauriel
    Lcmorg
    Mythlady
    Rita5-2
    Starlet
    SunnyinSC
    Susietb3
    Texasfoodie and including missyhiggins02
    Your names will be deleted the challenge unless you post something.

Hi Everyone,
    Fasted today and it felt great. Had coffee for breakfast and a chicken peas stew with veg for lunch. That’s it. Nothing else except a good strong cup of tea and lots of water.
    I feel very good this week as I have stuck to a normal way of eating on the non fast days. Long may it last as overeating on non fast days were depressing me.
    I feel as if I have more energy today. Maybe I might last the whole 40 days…..who knows.
    Your stories are very interesting,great to read them.

Cheers

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.